Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

GM Henry Fortuna's First Steps (Sessions 1-3) (Inactive)

Game Master Signore di Fortuna

Fresh-faced recruits gain the opportunity to prove their worth to the Pathfinder Society.


1 to 50 of 802 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

It is an overcast morning at the Grand Lodge. You all have been awakened by a light rapping at your doors and a message, clearly displaying the Grand Lodge insignia, slipped under your doors. Opening your message, you learn that Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsain would like to meet with you this morning.

As directed, you find yourself outside of his office with 4 others holding the same message as you. It seems as if this will be your new adventuring group for the time being. Shortly after your arrival, it begins to rain. All you can hear is the soft rap of raindrops hitting the windows. There doesn't appear to be anyone else here, save the five of you.

Introductions ahoy!

Qadira

M Halfling Rogue (Scout) 1

A dusky-looking halfling approaches Valsain's door and glances around appraisingly. With jet eyes clustered under unkempt brow, he has an almost dwarven expression.

So, this lot is what I have to work with? Guess it will have to do.

He takes a step out of the shadows and makes a curt bow.

"Well met, then. Hope you folks are ready to earn some scratch."

First PbP post ever, hope this is alright

Taldor

Male Human Cleric

Buuuuuurrrrppppp. Haaahhhhh. Top of the morning to you all. Am I the only one with a pounding headache? And that damn rain, it doesn't help the situation at all. Who is here to see the Venture Captain?

Luthor is tall, some what muscular, and wields a newly empty tankard and horrible morning breath. Despite the pleasant weather, he reeks of stale sweat and is obviously hung over. But despite all that he offers a smile to the folks gathered around.

Grand Lodge

M Human (Kellid) Barbarian 2

"Greetings! I am Kurth."

Kurth stands with a proud posture that is typical for a barbarian. His face appears to be frozen in a constant expression of pity. He speaks with a heavy northern accent.

He returns Vim's bow and replies "I am ready to fulfill my destiny. And if this means to get scratched, I will endure that, too."

Turning to Luthor, he adds "No, I don't feel any headache. Just the mild agony I feel every day when seeing these ruined remnants of former glory. Not even the rain can wash that pain away." Kurth points out of the window, to what looks like ordinary Absalom to everyone but him.

Luthor: By convention, italics denotes thought. I'm going to assume now that Luthor has a narrating voice in his head that makes him think about himself in third person. I hope you don't mind.

Taldor

Male Human Cleric

Whoops, sorry about that. Italics were not intended there. Luthor is a bit of drunk, and isn't nearly clever enough to think of himself in third person like that!


The half elf standing in the corner leans forward toward the others, "I can be called Illias if you please"

Turning to Vim, "Scratch, as you call it, is the least of my motivations here. And it would appear that we are all here to see the Captain, Cleric." Illias holds out the same not that each of them has in their hand.


*It's Venture-Captain Valsin not Valsain. I was quite tired last night and typo'd. Sorry about that.

Grand Lodge

M Human (Kellid) Barbarian 2

By the way: are we already Pathfinders? Did we sign up already? Did we go through Pathfinder bootcamp? Or is this letter from the VC the first time we ever heard back from the society?


Yes, you've all finished your Confirmation and are recognized as Pathfinders, albeit rookies. I'm working under the assumption that you've become Pathfinders only recently and have been loafing around for a week or so*.

*Long enough to receive Ambrus Valsin's attention :)

Grand Lodge

M Human (Kellid) Barbarian 2

"Yes, it seems we are all here to see the venture-captain. But tell us Illias, if it isn't getting scratched, what does motivate you most to come here?"


"Artifacts, Adventure, Companionship, among a few others. I don't mean to embarrass you, Kurth is it?, but the halfling was not talking of being scratched. I believe by scratch he means monetary gains"

Grand Lodge

M Human (Kellid) Barbarian 2

"Money, is it?" Kurth looks the halfling over for a moment. He doesn't show any sign of embarrassment - and only the slightest hint of disappointment is in his voice. "Well, I don't hold that against you. It must be hard for you, knowing what you have lost. Of course you would cling to such petty things. The land I come from has always been savage. Naturally the savagery that has befallen the world would be more bearable to me than it is to you. But fear not, my friend! Believe in ideals, and in time you might be able to bring back what seems lost!"

Kurth clearly tries to cheer up Vim. But exactly what he is talking about isn't so clear. It seems there is more than a language barrier between him and the reality of Absalom around him.

Kurth turns back to Illias and rests his hand on the half elf's shoulder. "Thank you, my friend! I see I found a kindred spirit in you. And I am glad for that. All is not lost as long as there are still men like you, longing to recover lost artifacts from the ruins of better days. Let us fight side by side, and back to back if needed, to recover artifacts and rebuild society."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf 1st Level Druid HP=Illias(8/8) Titan(9/9)

"His motivations may be different from ours but he is here none the left, The means will be the same even if the desired end is not. So long as none prove themselves to have darker motives I will gladly fight along side each of the four of you. I'll lend my powers, my bond with the natures around you and the prowess of my companion in whatever quests that the venture captain sends us to. So, a Halfling, two humans,an elf and a half-elf. Should be excellent times to be had. So when is this,(looks over note) Valsin supposed to arrive?"


Just waiting on Elianna to introduce herself before we move on.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf 1st Level Druid HP=Illias(8/8) Titan(9/9)

my apologies for the oversight

Qadira

M Halfling Rogue (Scout) 1

"So we have a couple of do-gooders, then? Very and well, I don't mind a good deed now and then, but I mind it a lot less with a little chink in my purse and a mug in my hand. A lass on my arm doesn't hurt either. So long as your starry-eyed notions don't lead us to our deaths, we'll get along fine."

Vim turns to Kurth, head askew.

"And as for what I've lost? If you're referring to my height, human, know I only bear jests kindly when the booze flows free."

Grand Lodge

M Human (Kellid) Barbarian 2

"I didn't mean to insult you, Vim. I was not talking about your height. Merely about the height of prosperity we all have fallen from. It is well that you still dream of a drink in your hand and a woman by your side. But you shouldn't dream of buying these things with money, only for a while and only for yourself. Dream instead of a world where these things are provided and guaranteed, like they once were in times of civilizations of old, by powerful artifacts and enslaved giants."

Grand Lodge

Female Elf Magus 1

A slender lady, golden hair trailing behind her but the lower part of her face slightly obscured by a near-see-through veil of white, lilts into the chamber through the door, head tilted as if having heard their most recent comments as she approached. Her violet eyes shine to each of them in turn as she hums to herself as if to a tune only she can make out.

"Μμμ, άνδρες, δεν έχει σημασία ο αγώνας που πάντα φαίνεται να αντιδρούν με τον ίδιο, όταν μένουν μόνοι μαζί!"

Elvish:
"Mmm, men, no matter the race they always seem to act the same when left alone together!"

She wears no armor, in fact, almost no gear one would expect from an adventurer at all. Only the curved blade and whip tied to the belt that hangs on her slender hips belies that she may have something more than girlish charm beneath the silks that enclose her form.

Her eyes flutter closed for a moment as she nods her head to them collectively.

"I am Elianna Morgethai, of the Spire. We are to be, companions, then?"

So sorry this was posted late I couldn't get the site to load all day!!


A few moments later, the door to Valsin's office opens. Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsin, a tall, well-groomed man, motions for you to enter and sit. Valsin's office doesn't have much, except for a framed map of Absalom and a large desk, which seems built to hold up the great, straight stacks of papers and forms rather than complement the room it inhabits.

You hardly have time to sit when Venture-Captain Valsin addresses you:
"All right, Pathfinders! Listen up. I know you are new recruits eager to make names for yourselves in the organization, but first we need to make sure you are up to snuff and won’t get yourself killed out there. I have a number of small assignments for you and your team, and it would be best if you could finish them before the day’s end.
"Every day we get some doe-eyed hopeful or some sniveling bootlicker willing to do anything to join up with the Pathfinders. Most of them are good kids, but not all of them have the salt to make it in a world like this. It’s rough out there and I’m not just talking about the ruins, tombs, and wilderness Pathfinders find themselves in on missions. We’ve got people who look down their noses at us, folks who think we squander our resources, and agents who want to take everything we have collected. This wealth of knowledge and these items of lore make us the most powerful organization on the planet. That said, since we are fractured and widespread, it’s difficult for that power to light on anything for too long. For every friend of the Society, there are two enemies.
"Your first mission, to test your mettle and loyalties, sends you to meet a few people important to the Society living here in Absalom. These are other venture-captains or close allies of our organization, so follow their orders as you would mine. I have prepared a list of things I want you to do. They’re not arranged in any particular order of importance, but I want them all completed as quickly as possible. Only report to me once you complete them all. Included in the envelope I will give you is the list, complete with the name of your contact, and directions to the meeting location."

He produces an envelope from a desk drawer and pushes it towards you.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf 1st Level Druid HP=Illias(8/8) Titan(9/9)

Illias nods to Valsin and looks around at the other four adventurers before reaching for the envelope.
"We look forward to the opportunity to prove our worth to this organization. I will do all in my power to assure that we complete the tasks before days end."

After having said his piece he takes the envelope and leaves the room waiting for the other adventurers just outside before opening the letter to see the tasks that lay before them.

Grand Lodge

M Human (Kellid) Barbarian 2

"So, are we allowed to open the envelope right now?" Kurth asks.

If Valsin doesn't say otherwise, Kurth will open the envelope and read the letter.

edit: ninja'd. Seems like Illias took the letter first.

Grand Lodge

M Human (Kellid) Barbarian 2

Kurth uses the time to do some small talk, while waiting for Illias to finish reading the letter.
"So, Elianna, what is this 'spire' you hail from?"


Illias is waiting for the other 3 party members before he opens it.

Qadira

M Halfling Rogue (Scout) 1

Vim struts out close on the heels of Kurth and Illias.

"Open it, already. If those two want to dawdle and gaze around at Valsin's office, so be it. We've got work to do."

I'm under the impression the letter is not open yet, and that Elliana and Luthor are still inside.

Taldor

Male Human Cleric

Luthor looks around the Valsin's office, in awe of what one person could collect in his lifetime. Seeing the eyes of the others dart in his direction, "Go ahead and open the letter Illias, I'm pretty sure the old man didn't call us here to look at his ugly mug." Luthor smiles and tips his head to the older (surely wiser) Venture-Captian and listens to the contents of the letter.

Grand Lodge

Female Elf Magus 1

Elianna smiles at Kurth when he speaks to her, nodding in deference to the Venture-Captain when he gives the assignment, and then letter. She nods to Illias to indicate her readiness to hear the instructions contained therein as she glides near to Kurth.

"A land far to the north, the land of my father and where I was fostered when my mother's homeland became, well, too droll for me."

She tilts her head to him a bit, a strand or two of her hair sliding off a pointed ear.

"From where do you come?"


The letter reads as follows:

Assignment #17

  • A man named Guaril Karela runs a curio shop in the Docks called the Pickled Imp. Go to him and fill his request as a favor to the Society. I believe it has something to do with a set of rare books.
  • Ollysta Zadrian requested aid and is expecting you at the Temple of the Shining Star in the Ascendant Court. She needs someone to deliver a parcel of medicine and curatives to a needy orphanage and verify the character of the recipient.
  • Visit the offices of Osirian nobleman Dremdhet Salhar in the Wise Quarter. The Pathfinder Society needs to obtain permission to delve the Salhar ancestral vaults beneath Sothis. He has made a verbal agreement, and your visit makes it official. You will receive an official charter and detailed maps. Do not embarrass the Society in this matter.
  • Chelish Paracountess Zarta Dralneen possesses an item loaned from the Vaults. Meet with her in her estate in the Ivy District and retrieve the item in her possession.

*The Grand Lodge is located in the Foreign Quarter, so you'll know when you plan your route.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf 1st Level Druid HP=Illias(8/8) Titan(9/9)

"I propose we visit the Paracountess, then the Nobleman, Temple, then on to the docks. For the sake of travel. What do the rest of you think?"

Grand Lodge

M Human (Kellid) Barbarian 2

@GM:
Does it really say 'Assignment #17' on the letter? Or is that meta gaming information? It's kind of a strange number: from our perspective it should be #1, and from the society's perspective there should have been more than 16 other rookie teams before us in Absalom. And unless he's new in his job as well, the VC should have handed out more than 17 assignments already, too...

"I think I shall trust your judgement in this matter, Illias"

Kurth clearly isn't very interested in solving travelling salesman problems. He quickly returns his attention to the conversation with Elianna - in a low voice so he doesn't disturb the others who are planning the order in which they want to run their errands.

"I, too, come from a land far north. I crossed the kodar mountains and saw many ruins on my way here. But I never came to a place that calls itself the spire. How is it there?"

Grand Lodge

Female Elf Magus 1

Elianna almost seems to not hear Illias at first and waves a hand, almost as if it doesn't really matter to her where they go first, but she does catch his eye and gives him a nod.

Her eyes graze over the others present while replying to Kurth.

It's an island, beyond the coast of the Linnorm Kings. Wet, I'd say, and strange for one who is not used to τρόπους ξωτικό...that is, Elven ways."

Qadira

M Halfling Rogue (Scout) 1

"I'm on board with Illias' plan. Sooner we get moving the sooner we're done. You two can chat it up along the way."

Despite his efforts at nonchalance, it is clear Vim is listening to the side conversation intently.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf 1st Level Druid HP=Illias(8/8) Titan(9/9)

Illias looks to the cleric, "If you have no qualms with the route I suggest we head out immediately, by the way, I'm not sure we've learned your name sir.", Looking to the halfling, "Or yours.."

Taldor

Male Human Cleric

"Oh, excuse me comrades. Its rude of me not to inroduce my self. Apparently my, ughm, headache this morning has lessened my manners. I'm Luthor of Taldan. Well met all! Now lets get moving, a good walk will help me clear up my senses. Illias, you have the letter and the directions. Your path seems well enough. I'm ready when you and the rest of the group is ready."

Luthor mades a curt bow towards his comrades and readies his boots for the apparently long walk through the city.

Grand Lodge

Female Elf Magus 1

As the group agrees to set out, Elianna lifts her arms up to run through her hair, brushing her locks over her ears as she makes sure her veil is on loosely but securely. That done, she nods at those talking about the route, and smiles at them all, barely visible through the sheer veil.

"Our task sounds simple enough, so let's make it an enjoyable one!"

Elianna is ready to head out whenever the rest are

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf 1st Level Druid HP=Illias(8/8) Titan(9/9)

"Off to the Ivy district it is!" Illias steps out into the street whistling for his bear to join him at his side. After checking that his party members are still following behind him he heads down the closest street toward the Ivy District.

Taldor

Male Human Cleric

"A what!?" Luthor is astonished that sucha thing is allowed to walk the streets of this fine city.
"Illias, you can assure me that your friend there won't mistake me for a meal anytime today?"

how large is this bear?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf 1st Level Druid HP=Illias(8/8) Titan(9/9)

"I can assure you he is perfectly tame unless told otherwise, he his lived his life among we half-elves and has never tried to eat anyone... Save the time that..... well never mind that. You have nothing to fear. Titan is loyal to me and my comrades"

At level 1 he starts out small, at 4th level he becomes medium

Grand Lodge

M Human (Kellid) Barbarian 2

Kurth follows Illias, stopping from time to time to take a look around.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Anything noteworthy going on in the streets of Absalom?

Qadira

M Halfling Rogue (Scout) 1

Vim looks askance at Luthor as he turns to Illias and answers simply "Vim."

He slips into formation with the rest of the group and keeps his eyes peeled for danger, knowing that the streets of Absalom can bring anything.

Taldor

Male Human Cleric

Luthor nods a at Illias, and then makes a mental noted to keep the halfling between him and the bear. He is reminded of what a priest one time told him- you don't have to be the fastest, just don't be the slowest.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf 1st Level Druid HP=Illias(8/8) Titan(9/9)

" Just try not to taunt him or smell too much like fish and you'll be alright..."

Taldor

Male Human Cleric

Luthor laughs... but still moves away from the bear.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf 1st Level Druid HP=Illias(8/8) Titan(9/9)

Illias rubs Titan's head and tosses him a piece of salted fish from his belt pouch

Qadira

M Halfling Rogue (Scout) 1

Vim is proud of his dodginess and confidently takes stride next to the bear.

Vim has an alternate racial trait that makes his speed 30 instead of 20.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf 1st Level Druid HP=Illias(8/8) Titan(9/9)

( bear's speed is 40 ft :D Enjoy. )

Taldor

Male Human Cleric

Luthor's spd is 40', he just needs to stay in front of the Halfling!

Grand Lodge

Male Half-elf 1st Level Druid HP=Illias(8/8) Titan(9/9)

again, not to worry :D

Grand Lodge

M Human (Kellid) Barbarian 2

Kurth's speed is 40 ft. as well. And he is just as strong and just as intelligent as a bear. But don't worry, Kurth is not going to eat you either, probably.


Kurth:
As you are walking along, you catch sight of a blonde-haired, blue eyed girl smiling at you (or perhaps the group, you aren't sure). She is wearing a green silk dress with a black scarf draped on her shoulders. She fidgets while watching you. You attempt to get a better look at her but a group of laborers moves between you and her. By the time they pass, she is gone.

Despite the rain, the Foreign Quarter is busy as usual. Pathfinders, fishermen, itinerant adventurers and various sorts of folk wander the streets. You manage to see a wide variety of races milling about the Chelish and Osirian styled buildings.

You make your way out of the Foreign Quarter and into the Ivy District. The change is quite startling. The streets are lined with well-tended gardens and impressive estates. People here are well-dressed, bearing themselves with an air of superiority. You can see a few people, who look a little rougher, sitting under trees and painting the scenery. A few performers look at you with a mixture of wonder and contempt.

One of them will approach Illias and Titan. "Is that a performing bear? He looks tame enough? Oi, fellows, do you think we can use a bear in our next act?"

The rest of his group nod excitedly and the man offers a bag to Illias. "Two-hundred gold for the bear. What do you say, friend?"

Qadira

M Halfling Rogue (Scout) 1

Vim's eyes bulge and he elbows Illias as he whispers "take it!".

Nitpick: Luthor, you're in medium armor so you go 30 ft. too. And Vim races dirty;)

1 to 50 of 802 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Henry Fortuna's First Steps (Sessions 1-3) [Group 1] Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.