Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

GM Haladir's Rise of the Runelords

Game Master Haladir

Rise of the Runelords Book 1: Burnt Offerings

Thistletop—Dungeon Level 2 <-- Party location
Thistletop—Dungeon Level 1
Thistletop—Ground Level

Party Status
Cerin hp 12/31, wild shape (bear); 1 Hero Point
Gwyn hp 12/16
Helena hp 2/31; 1 Hero Point
Kyrian hp 20/20; 1 Hero Point
Orik hp 9/44; 1 Hero Point
Shalelu hp 34/34

Active Party Buffs: bless

Map: Sandpoint
Map: Sandpoint Hinterlands

Treasure List


2,451 to 2,500 of 2,633 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>

Your humble narrator

Cerin remembers that there was a heavy table in the room where you'd parleyed with Lyrie yesterday. There were also the beds from the living quarters. And there was a rack in the torture chamber.


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

After the table is moved into place, Gwyn takes a place where she bath the room in fire.

"Finish those that survive," she tells the others in a eerily calm voice before the door is opened again and she lets a torrent of flame loose from her hand.

Casting Burning Hands. Gwyn has a trait that allows her to treat her caster level as 2 higher, so 4d4 fire damage. Also, she takes off the leather armor before doing this.

Damage (DC 15 Reflex for half): 4d4 ⇒ (4, 2, 4, 2) = 12

Grand Lodge

Male Aasimar (of gnomish stock) Druid 4 , Init: +1, Perception +11 w/60 ft Darkvision, HP: 17/31, F:+5, R:+2, W:+8, AC/T/FF: 18/13/16, CMD: 15, Stormburst 7/7

Cerin stands on a chair behind the table, ready to slash at any goblins that survive the flames.


HP 14/44 | AC 22 | T 12 | FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +6 | Ref +3 | Will +1 | Init +1 | Perception +0 | Sense Motive +0

Orik raises his sword high, ready to perform this grim task.


Your humble narrator

Dragging the table in front of the door to form a barrier, you open it to find the goblin pups have resumed hiding. However, their mesh cages offer little protection from Gwyn's magical fire. You cannot tell if their cries are of joy or pain as the goblin pups are immolated. After the flames subside, you poke at the ashes to find all of them dead.

Shaeleu says, "I'm not proud of that, but I think it's for the best. If we'd tried to free them, they would surely have attacked us in gratitude."

What now, folks?


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

Gwyn silently moves to the next door to make sure it's not trapped before opening it.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

Fluff meanwhile just sits on Helena's shoulder, mirroring her master's uncharacteristic silence.


Female Human Oracle (life) 4 | AC 19, T 11, FF 18 | hp 17/31 | CMD 16 | F +4, R +3, W +4 | Init +2| Perc +4 | low-light vision, darkvision 30 ft | Channel Positive Energy 4/5 | 1st-level spells 6/7 | 2nd-level spells 4/4

Wanting to say something to break the silence, but not knowing what to say, Helena simply stokes Fluff's neck feathers and remains silent.


Your humble narrator

Sorry for going silent. Work was really busy last week, as was my personal life in getting ready for Easter.

I'm going to move things along a bit...

Gwyn tries the western door in the room you're in. Hearing nothing and seeing no obvious traps, she cracks open the door and peers in. She is assaulted with the stench of badly-tanned furs, goblin funk, and the cheapest of cheap perfumes. The room is strewn with furs, pillows, and mattresses. Bits and pieces of ratty women's undergarments are also mixed with the furs. There doesn't appear to be anything of value in there.

She then tries the door to the east. Hearing nothing, that door opens to a short corridor that ends in another door. Hearing nothing beyond, she tried the door, finding it locked. As Gwyn pulls out her lockpicks, Fluff says, "Not that you couldn't use the practice, but didn't the goblin king have a ring of keys?" Remembering that he did, Gwyn fishes those out and unlocks the door.

Beyond the door is a roughly-worked chamber containing crates, barrels, and piles of miscellaneous junk, flotsam, and trash. Weathered boards, broken wagon wheels, bent cutlery, shards of glass, hunks of cloth, and other odds-and-ends fill the room. Most of it seems to have originally been of human manufacture before being discarded. A passage leads north. Gwyn can see that there's some natural light coming from the passage, and she can hear the sound of surf from that direction.

Map updated

What do you do?


HP 14/44 | AC 22 | T 12 | FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +6 | Ref +3 | Will +1 | Init +1 | Perception +0 | Sense Motive +0

"I forget what's in here," Orik says with a shrug after Gwyn pushes the door open. "I forgot we had a storeroom, honestly." He enters after her, poking around the bric-a-brac.


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

Before heading north towards the light, Gwyn searches the piles to make sure that there are no traps or other nasty surprises waiting.

Perception (Bric-a-brac): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Satisfied there aren't any goblins hiding in the mess, she slowly makes her way down the tunnel to see what lay beyond and to make sure there's nothing waiting to ambush the others.

Perception (Heading towards the light): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13


Your humble narrator

GM screen:
Stealth: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Tentacle v. Gwyn (FF): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7 ...miss
Tentacke v. Gwyn (FF): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21 ...hit
tentacle damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Grab v. Gwyn: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14 ...hit; Gwyn is grappled
Stinger v. Gwyn: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 ...hit
Stinger damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 ...plus 2 hp poison damage

Gwyn doesn't see anything in the pile of junk that would interest anyone other than a goblin. She then moves up the tunnel, as her frinds follow at a discrete distance.

The tunnel widens into a dimly-lit cavern. The floor of the cavern is strangely polished ans smooth. To the east, a thick curtain of vines and nettles hangs down over a wide opening overlooking the Varisian Gulf. Several roots and vines snake along the ceiling and walls near the opening.

As Gwyn enters the room and looks around, what she at first thought was merely a tree root on the ceiling suddenly lashes out at her!

Surprise Round

Only Gwyn and Orik are in a position to see the monster before its attack; Gwyn missed the Perception check, and Orik's check isn't high enough to bother rolling...

The sucker-covered tentacle swishes less than an inch from Gwyn's face and grabs at air.

Round 1

Initiative:
Cerin: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Gwyn: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Helena: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Orik: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Shalelu: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
monster: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Initiative order: Monster, Shalelu, Cerin, Helena, Orik, Gwyn

Before Gwyn has a chance to react, the tentacle snaps back toward her, smacking her hard in the face and then wrapping around her shoulders and arms. A second tentacle then lashes out at her... this one ending in a terrifying stinger. It stabs her in the abdomen, and through the pain, Gwyn feels a horrific burning sensation from something that it injected into her!

Gwyn: Take 5 hp bludgeoning damage from the tentacle, then 5 more piercing from the stinger, then 2 hp poison damage (total 12 hp damage). Please also make a DC 15 Fortitude save. This is a poison effect. You are also grappled. A reminder that we're using the unchained afflictions rules for poison and disease.

You all now see that the tentacles are connected to a 10-eyed squid-like creature clinging to the ceiling near the opening.

Everyone may act!


HP 14/44 | AC 22 | T 12 | FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +6 | Ref +3 | Will +1 | Init +1 | Perception +0 | Sense Motive +0

This fight really screwed up my party.

"The Hell is this thing?", Orik says, rushing towards Gwyn to cut her free. "I thought this place was safe, Lyrie would come through this way every once in awhile!"

Just a regular attack. No idea if this thing threatens or not while grappling, so I might draw an AoO moving in.

Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Damage: 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

fortitude: 1d20 ⇒ 20


Your humble narrator

Looks like after I rolled initiative in "Preview", I accidentally put in more rolls in the earlier GM screen spoiler, rather than making another screen spoiler after them. This changed the initiative rolls. I'm going with what I originally rolled and the order that came up first. Sorry for any confusion on that.

Gwyn: You made the save, so you have resisted the poison... unless the thing stings you again, of course...

GM screen:
AOO v. Orik: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12...miss

As Orik charges in, the creature attempts to sting him. Orick easily deflects the monster's stinger with his shield.

Waiting for Helena and Cerin.


CG Female Elf Ranger 4
Stats:
hp 34 | AC 17 (touch 13; FF 14) | Init +3| Per +10 | Fort +7; Ref +8; Will +3 (+2 vs. enchantment)

At the sound of battle, Shalelu rushes into the chamber, her bow drawn; she lets fly an arrow at the monster.

Ranged attack: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 9 + 1 = 11
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Unused to shooting in an enclosed space, the ranger fails to take into account the low and uneven ceiling. The arc of her arrow hits the ceiling, and the arrow skitters harmlessly across the floor, out the opening, and into the Varisian Gulf.

Grand Lodge

Male Aasimar (of gnomish stock) Druid 4 , Init: +1, Perception +11 w/60 ft Darkvision, HP: 17/31, F:+5, R:+2, W:+8, AC/T/FF: 18/13/16, CMD: 15, Stormburst 7/7

"Gwyn!" Cerin charges in, slashing at the tentacles holding Gwyn with his blazing blade.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18 Avoid AoO
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 plus 1d6 ⇒ 6 fire


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

Gwyn cries out as she's grabbed and stabbed. Gritting her teeth against the pain, she summons up a spark of arcane power and holds it up, aiming for the thing that had nearly knocked her unconscious. With a roar, the flame leaps from her hand and begins to cook the ceiling.

Flame Arc DC 13 Reflex for half: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 1) + 2 = 6

That's a supernatural ability, so no AoO. :D


Your humble narrator

GMPC for Helena... I am going to retcon that Helena had previously set up a Life Link between herself and Gwyn...

GM screen:
Tentamort Ref save (DC 13): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19...saves

Monster Status
Tentamort: hp 12/39

Initiative order: Monster, Shalelu, Cerin, Helena, Orik, Gwyn

Round 1, continued

Shalelu fires at the monster, but misses.

Cerin rushes in to assist Gwyn, slashing at the squidlike beast. He hits the rubbery monster, and it lets out a disquieting shriek.

The mystical energies linking Helena and Gwyn manifest as an indistinct greenish shimmer between the two women. Helena feels some of her own vitality transfer to her friend. Life Link: Helena takes 5 hp damage; Gwyn heals same. Helena then casts a spell, causing her own hand to glow with a similar green glow; she touches Gwyn, restoring more of her life-energy.

Helena casts cure light wounds, healing Gwyn for 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9.

Orik then charges into the room. The thing attempts to sting him as he approaches, but the warrior easily deflects the stinger with his shield. With a mighty chop, Orik cuts a terrible gash in the monster's conical body, putting out three of its eyes and exposing its internal shell as green blood pours from the wound.

Feeling a bit better (though still bound by the thing's tentacle), Gwun summons an arc of fire at the monster, singeing it.

Round 2

GM screen:
tentacle v. Orik: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12 ...miss
Stinger v. Orik: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 ...miss

Lashing out at the thing that attacked it last, the thing releases Gwyn and attempts to both wrap its tentacles around Orik and sting him... but the warrior easily swats away both of its tentacles with his heavy shield.

Your actions!


HP 14/44 | AC 22 | T 12 | FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +6 | Ref +3 | Will +1 | Init +1 | Perception +0 | Sense Motive +0

"Seriously, do none of you know what this thing even is? Damn good thing it's apparently weak to swords!" Orik changes position, adopting a wide stance to maximize his power.

Attack, PA: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 9 - 2 = 23
Damage, PA: 1d10 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 4 = 14


Your humble narrator

Knowledge (dungeoneering) DC 15:
This is a strange squid-like creature called a tentamort. It is an ambush predator that typically lives underground. It has ten short tentacles it uses to climb (and often hang from the ceiling), ten eyes (giving it excellent visual perception), and two very long squidlike arms: one covered with suckers, and the other ending with a poisonous stinger. Its preferred method of attacking is to hold its prey with the sucker-covered tentacle and sting it repeatedly with the other. Its poison quicky liquefies flesh, which the monster then sucks out with its stinger-arm.

Grand Lodge

Male Aasimar (of gnomish stock) Druid 4 , Init: +1, Perception +11 w/60 ft Darkvision, HP: 17/31, F:+5, R:+2, W:+8, AC/T/FF: 18/13/16, CMD: 15, Stormburst 7/7

Cerin jumps up to slash at another tentacle, peering up to try and get a better look at it. He shouts "Tentamort! Avoid that stinger, it liquefies flesh!"

Knowledge (Dungeoneering): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 plus 1d6 ⇒ 3


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

Gwyn grimaces as she draws her dagger with one hand while the other tries to stem the blood staining her clothes as it poured from the wound in her belly. Her eyes are as hard as flint as she throws the knife at the thing.

Attack (Ranged with dagger, Melee): 1d20 + 5 - 4 ⇒ (19) + 5 - 4 = 20
Attack Confirm: 1d20 + 5 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 5 - 4 = 13
Damage: 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0


Your humble narrator
In the Discussion thread, Helena wrote:
So sorry for the delay, folks - how high is the ceiling here?

Sorry for my own delay here! Life got busy the past few days.

The ceiling is about eight feet high in this chamber.


Female Human Oracle (life) 4 | AC 19, T 11, FF 18 | hp 17/31 | CMD 16 | F +4, R +3, W +4 | Init +2| Perc +4 | low-light vision, darkvision 30 ft | Channel Positive Energy 4/5 | 1st-level spells 6/7 | 2nd-level spells 4/4

No worries; just needed to know if it was within longspear distance :)

Helena squints uncertainly up at the creature, watching as Cerin and Orik both start swinging wildly at it. Bracing her spear, she takes a wild stab at the beast, piercing its rubbery hide and crying out in alarm as it bleeds.

Longspear: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Confirm?: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
damage: 3d8 + 18 ⇒ (6, 1, 3) + 18 = 28


Your humble narrator

GM screen:
Looking behind the GM screen?! -500 XP for you!

The Sandpoint Heroes rush at the tentamort, but it is Helena who plunges her spear into one of its largest eyes. The point punctures its shell, and she twists as she withdraws it, spraying foul-smelling green gore across the wall. The creature lets out a disconcerting death-wail as all of its tentacles stretch out and twitch. It then falls to the floor with a wet thud, tentacles blindly twitching for nearly a full minute before they cease moving.

*Combat over*

What do you do?


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

As soon as the threat had passed, Gwyn notices the burning in her belly and lets out a whimper of pain as she clutches it with both arms and collapses into a ball of pain on the floor of the cavern. She bites back a scream as cold sweat breaks out on her forehead.

"Gwyn! Aw man! Do you enjoy getting clobbered or something," Fluff asks as she flits down to land in front of the elven mage's face.

In OOC terms: Healz plz!


Your humble narrator

Gwyn: You made the save vs. poison, so you're not under any detrimental effects. Between the retconned Life Link I declared that Helea set up before the tentamore encounter and the cure light wounds I had Helena cast while I was botting her, Gwyn is actually back up to full hp. The plus of having low hp is that it doesn't take much to get you back to full... It's Helena that's currently down a few hp from the Life Link.


HP 14/44 | AC 22 | T 12 | FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +6 | Ref +3 | Will +1 | Init +1 | Perception +0 | Sense Motive +0

Ortik winces as Helena's speartip pierces the tentamort's eye, spraying ichor everywhere. "Damn! Nice spearwork, Helena. Also, good to know that stabbing these things in the eye kills them."


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

Oh, right. I'd forgotten about the healing. I just figured a gut wound would be bad enough that it'd still hurt like mad. I'll fix her HP and Retcon that bit.

==RETCON!==

After the fight is over, Gwyn looks over and sees Helena bleeding.

"Helena! what happened," she asks as she rushes over to her friends side.

"Yeah, Gwyn was the only one that got clobbered, so why are you hurt," Fluff asks from her perch.


Female Human Oracle (life) 4 | AC 19, T 11, FF 18 | hp 17/31 | CMD 16 | F +4, R +3, W +4 | Init +2| Perc +4 | low-light vision, darkvision 30 ft | Channel Positive Energy 4/5 | 1st-level spells 6/7 | 2nd-level spells 4/4

"First World magic," Helena explains breathlessly, pressing a hand against the wound in her side. "It's a sort of... transfer of life energy, like roots to a plant." Gritting her teeth, she presses harder until the bleeding stems itself. "Hopefully there aren't any more of those things, though!"

Grand Lodge

Male Aasimar (of gnomish stock) Druid 4 , Init: +1, Perception +11 w/60 ft Darkvision, HP: 17/31, F:+5, R:+2, W:+8, AC/T/FF: 18/13/16, CMD: 15, Stormburst 7/7

Cerin sheathes his blade and steps closer to Helena, pulling a wand from his pouch. "We had better not take any chances with a wound from that thing, even second-hand!" he states as he touches her side with it.

CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Male Human (last I checked) Techie 2 / Bureaucrat 5

Moving things along...

You all take a few moments to collect yourselves and look around the room. It seems that the goblins had mostly avoided this chamber, as there does not appear to be anything at all in here.

You then check out natural passage to the north, which smells of carrion. It leads to dark, oblong natural cavern. Dozens of strange dead bodies lie scattered about this room. Most are gulls and ospreys, but there are six dead goblins here as well. Each body is literally skin and bones, as if all of the interior organs and muscles have somehow been drained away, leaving behind skeletons draped with leathery, slowly rotting skin.

You take a moment to poke through the room, and discover that one of the dead goblins is wearing finely-crafted hide armor. Turning it over, it's lying on what appears to be a well-crafted shortbow of elven manufacture, sized for an elven child. Intrigued, Gwyn casts detect magic, and sees that the armor does radiate a faint magical aura of abjuration.

I'll just tell you: It's a masterwork shortbow (size Small), and a Small suit of +1 hide armor. The armor is made of horsehide. Treasure list updated.

I think the only area you haven't checked out on this level is through the door in the prison bloc.

Grand Lodge

Male Aasimar (of gnomish stock) Druid 4 , Init: +1, Perception +11 w/60 ft Darkvision, HP: 17/31, F:+5, R:+2, W:+8, AC/T/FF: 18/13/16, CMD: 15, Stormburst 7/7

Once Gwyn has identified the armor as magical, Cerin shakes the remains of the goblin out of it and brings out his waterskin to wash off the worst of the grime. He looks it over with a critical eye, nods and starts stripping off his old armor and putting on the new.

Finished, he draws his blade and announces "Let's go check out that last door. There must be something that can tell us where they have gone. I can't believe that after all her planning, she would just give up and run away!"


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

"Door, then the stairs," Gwyn says grimly now that Helena was alright.

Fluff only gives a worried glance to the fey-touched oracle before flitting off after her master.

A minute later, Gwyn is busy checking the door.
Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17


Female Human Oracle (life) 4 | AC 19, T 11, FF 18 | hp 17/31 | CMD 16 | F +4, R +3, W +4 | Init +2| Perc +4 | low-light vision, darkvision 30 ft | Channel Positive Energy 4/5 | 1st-level spells 6/7 | 2nd-level spells 4/4

"Were they feeding it their own?" Helena asks in muted horror as she turns one of the goblin corpses over with her spear. "That's sick!" Shuddering, she takes up a defensive position as Gwyn checks the door.


HP 14/44 | AC 22 | T 12 | FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +6 | Ref +3 | Will +1 | Init +1 | Perception +0 | Sense Motive +0

"That's goblins," Orik says grimly. He takes a spot near Gwyn as well, ready to bring his blade to bear against anything else in these tunnels.


Your humble narrator

Sorry for the delay! For whatever reason, the board didn't indicate that there had been updates to this campaign... I thought everyone was taking a break!

GM screen:
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Stealth: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (6) + 20 = 26

Gwyn doesn't hear anything beyond the door. She also does not see anything particularly unusual about it, other than it being locked. The keyhole does not seem to match that of any of the keys on Ripnugget's keychain.


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

Gwyn sighs and pulls out her picks to begin working on the lock.

Disable Device: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29


Your humble narrator

After a few moments of work, Gwyn finesses the lock open. Beyond the door is a short corridor ending with a door to the east.

Gwyn examines that door for traps as well...

Perception (find traps): 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 12 + 1 = 17

...but does not find any. It does not appear to be locked.

Pressing her ear to the door...

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21

...Gwyn thinks she hears a "thunk", like a small hollow object hitting the floor.

What do you do?


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

Hearing the thunk Gwyn frowns for a moment before motioning to the others to be quiet as she draws her sword and makes sure that everyone's ready before opening the door.

Grand Lodge

Male Aasimar (of gnomish stock) Druid 4 , Init: +1, Perception +11 w/60 ft Darkvision, HP: 17/31, F:+5, R:+2, W:+8, AC/T/FF: 18/13/16, CMD: 15, Stormburst 7/7

Cerin stands opposite Gwyn, sword drawn but not ignited. He holds his shield up and nods, ready to jump forward when the door is opened.


HP 14/44 | AC 22 | T 12 | FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +6 | Ref +3 | Will +1 | Init +1 | Perception +0 | Sense Motive +0

Orik mirrors Cerin's readiness, board presented, sword raised.


Female Human Oracle (life) 4 | AC 19, T 11, FF 18 | hp 17/31 | CMD 16 | F +4, R +3, W +4 | Init +2| Perc +4 | low-light vision, darkvision 30 ft | Channel Positive Energy 4/5 | 1st-level spells 6/7 | 2nd-level spells 4/4

Helena stands behind Gwyn, spear pointed at the door, hands shaking only slightly.


Male Human (last I checked) Techie 2 / Bureaucrat 5

GM screen:
Homonculus Stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15

Nodding at her friends, Gwyn opens the door and looks around the room.

Gwyn's Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Beyond is a small, cluttered room with an unmade bed in the opposite corner. The air is full of several competing odors that combine into an unpleasant stench: vinegar, lye, smoke, sulfur, and fermentation. The southern wall of the room is stacked with an insane hodgepodge of buckets, tubes, hollowed-out gourds, and glassware, many of which are filled with some kind of liquid.

Motionless in the shadows on the ceiling, Gwyn also spots what she at first thinks is a large bat... but on closer look, she sees that it more closely resembles a cat-sized, winged goblin! It meets her gaze, and then shrieks, taking to the air!

Initiative
Cerin: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Gwyn: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Helena: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Orik: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Shalelu: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Monsters: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Everyone may go!


HP 14/44 | AC 22 | T 12 | FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +6 | Ref +3 | Will +1 | Init +1 | Perception +0 | Sense Motive +0

"The Hell?!?", Orik cries, turning to face the winged creature. "When did this thing move in?!?" He raises his blade, waiting for a moment for the creature to move in to attack.

Ready an attack for when the winged goblin flies into my reach.

Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Damage: 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Damage (Sneak Attack): 1d6 - 1 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) - 1 + (1) = 2

Sorry I misunderstood the situation. Seeing as the bat thing isn't in melee with Gwyn just yet.

Gwyn fumbles for a moment as she desperately tries to remember the spell of flame she had memorized. It comes to her after a brief moment, but to the young mage, it felt like an eternity. As she casts it, she aims to light as much of the contents of this room as she can on fire before slamming the door and turning to the others.

"B-b-b-back p-please! I don't want to be next to the door when it gets to it!"

Burning Hands (Spending 1 point from Arcane Reservoir for +1 CL, DC 15 Reflex for half): 5d4 ⇒ (3, 1, 2, 3, 3) = 12


Your humble narrator

I wasn't expecting that, so it's time to invoke the Rule of Cool...

GM screen:
Homunculus Ref save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 ...fail
Blissy Ref save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 ...succeed

Monster Status
Homunculus: -1/11 (dead)
Blissy Boombag: 27/36

Gwyn's magical flames immolate most of the room, including the flying goblin-bat-thing. The flames cause the flying creature to melt... its wings collapsing into drips of waxy goo, and its body then doing the same. It lands with a splatter on the floor, bubbling.

A goblin-sized hole in the flames also shrieks in pain.

But the cobbled-together alchemical equipment on the southern wall takes the worst of it, catching fire. The liquid in one of the wooden buckets almost immediately bursts into flames, and several of the other chambers explode.

Gwyn: Make a DC 12 Reflex save. Success indicates that you manage to slam the door before the explosion; failure indicates that you take 2d4 ⇒ (1, 2) = 3 damage from it. (If it matters, let's call that half slashing and half acid damage.)


HP: 12/16 | AC: 16/13/13 | F: 0 R: +6 W:+4 (+6 vs. Enchantments) | Arcane Reservoir: 3/6, 1st: 1/5 Wand of Silent Image: 14 | Per: +10 (+2 if Fluff is within arm's reach, +1 vs. traps) | Init: +3 Female Elf Rogue 1/Arcanist 3
Fluff:
HP: 6/6 | AC: 17/16/15 | F: 0 R: +5 W:+5 | Per: +11 | Init: +2
Imp. Rex:
HP: 15/15 | AC: 11/11/9 | F: +6 R: +5 W:+1 | Per: +6 | Init: +2
Current Stats == AC: 15/13/12

Reflex: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Gwyn isn't quite fast enough to get the door shut to avoid getting cut by the flying glass. Thankfully, it was only a few cuts along her arm and a couple of nastier ones in her side. After she backs away from the door she lets out a hiss and gingerly moves the fabric of her vest and shirt away to get a better look.

"Dang, that stings!"


Your humble narrator

I guess we're out of combat time now. What do you do?

Grand Lodge

Male Aasimar (of gnomish stock) Druid 4 , Init: +1, Perception +11 w/60 ft Darkvision, HP: 17/31, F:+5, R:+2, W:+8, AC/T/FF: 18/13/16, CMD: 15, Stormburst 7/7

Cerin waits a moment, then bangs on the door and shouts "If you're willing to talk, we might think about letting you out of there!" He places his ear to the door and listens for any movement or replies.

2,451 to 2,500 of 2,633 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Haladir's Rise of the Runelords: Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.