Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

GM Fnord's PFS First Steps (Inactive)

Game Master Aoth Anskuld


951 to 1,000 of 1,435 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Hmmm. A fellow carries a sword cane because he knows how to use it. Limp or no limp, I'd wager he'll be handy enough should we run into any bandits, smugglers or the like.

Tal keeps his thoughts to himself of the moment, unsure how the Dwarves will react to the notion of a relative stranger carrying a concealed weapon in their midst.

Andoran

Fighter 4 (Two-Handed), HP 40/40, AC: 20/T: 13/FF: 17, Perception +1, F: +7/ R: +4/ W: +2, CMB: +8, CMD: 20, Speed: 20, Init: +4

Well the, let us begin the journey, shall we? Nester, please join Karzak and me up front.


You estimate that it will be about a 3 hour journey from Absalom through the Cairnlands to the edge of the forest (A). Someone please come up with the layout for how your group will arrange yourselves when traveling, and if everybody's happy with it, I'll put it in the campaign info for reference and we can set off.

We will assume enough room to travel in ones and twos at all times, but please also come up with a layout that's 3 wide for when you come to an area that allows it or for interacting with people/things.

Andoran

Fighter 4 (Two-Handed), HP 40/40, AC: 20/T: 13/FF: 17, Perception +1, F: +7/ R: +4/ W: +2, CMB: +8, CMD: 20, Speed: 20, Init: +4

I would assume something like this:

Hack Karzak
Nester Jory
Tal Tiann

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

When it comes to a 3x3 formation probably put Tiann in front with Jake & Karz when interacting with people & have Tiann swap with Tal when interacting with devices.

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 18; ff 17; T:18] HP=43/43 F +8/R+7/W+12 CMD 23 Ki 10/10 Monk (Zen Archer)/5 Perc +14/stone +16 Darkvision 60' per strike 5/5

How about these formations?

Jory Karzak
Nester Jake
Tal Tiann


Jory
Karzak
Jake
Nester
Tiann
Tal

Jory Karzak Jake
Tian Nester Tal

Plan is to put dwarves that can be seen over in front and Tal in back as a perceptive rearguard.

Silver Crusade

F Human Cleric/1

I'm okay with being wherever anyone thinks I'll serve best. I just want to make sure this Nester fellow is safe.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)
Tiann Ceriagh'u wrote:
I'm okay with being wherever anyone thinks I'll serve best. I just want to make sure this Nester fellow is safe.

Good point...it probably wouldn't look too good if we carried him pack in a pine box!

Andoran

Fighter 4 (Two-Handed), HP 40/40, AC: 20/T: 13/FF: 17, Perception +1, F: +7/ R: +4/ W: +2, CMB: +8, CMD: 20, Speed: 20, Init: +4

Jory's formations are fine with me. Let's go with that so long as Jory does not rush heaqdlong into danger with no buffer in front of him...

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 18; ff 17; T:18] HP=43/43 F +8/R+7/W+12 CMD 23 Ki 10/10 Monk (Zen Archer)/5 Perc +14/stone +16 Darkvision 60' per strike 5/5

Think of Jory as a skirmisher. He pins them down so the heavy hitters can rush [them.


OK, formations are in the campaign tab.

You begin the nine-mile trek north through the Cairnlands and farm land on the way to the forest.

The Cairnlands, a broken landscape of blood-salted earth and the ruins of countless failed assaults on Absalom's walls, soon yields to open fields and fertile ground. Ahead, a vast forest covers the foothills of a large range of snow-capped mountains. The well-trodden road soon ends at a tall wall of trees, signalling the end of civilization.

As you approach the woods, you see three centaurs patrolling the edge of the woods. As you approach, one of them calls out to you: "Be careful! There is some kind of large cat in the woods causing trouble, we have been sent to eliminate it. We wait here for it to venture out into our lands again."

If anyone has knowledge(nature), you can roll it for information about centaurs.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Barbarian Armored Hulk / 1

Karzak's brow furrows at the centaurs' claim, his eyes drifting towards the woods. A cat, eh? What kinda' reward ya' givin out if we get ya' his pelt?

Silver Crusade

F Human Cleric/1

Placing a hand on Karzak's shoulder, Tiann studies the centaurs and tries to gauge whether they're being honest. She holds the dwarf back and whispers in his ear. They may be trying to trick us or otherwise lead us astray... best to see if they're being honest, first.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Bimbur Longstrike wrote:

Bimbur also checks their integrity.

1d20+8 Sense Motive

"We are ready for some big kitties aren't we?"

Keep your roll. With Jory's mod, you can tell that they might be talking or otherwise moving their mouths. :)


The centaurs don't seem hostile. They are each wielding a wicked looking spear, but not taking an aggressive stance towards you, instead focusing on observing the forest.

The leader considers. "I suppose we would pay the usual price for an animal pelt, but we have no particular bounty to offer."

You can try diplomacy to interact with them if you like. Please look at the RULES for diplomacy first though, keeping in mind that bad rolls can make the situation worse.

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 18; ff 17; T:18] HP=43/43 F +8/R+7/W+12 CMD 23 Ki 10/10 Monk (Zen Archer)/5 Perc +14/stone +16 Darkvision 60' per strike 5/5

After being unable to sense any deception, the tall dwarf leads the group past the centaurs along the main road.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Barbarian Armored Hulk / 1

Karzak nods, then shrugs. Fair enough; bring 'im back for ya', if we see 'im, then. He follows after his fellow dwarf, looking into the forest in the hopes of finding a feline to skin.

Perception1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Having never seen a Centaur before...Tal looks at the majestic creatures in awe as he moves closer to Tiann.

Tiann, should we ask if it would be best to hunt together?

Support Tiann Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 2

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Tal isn't certain he was even speaking in the common tongue while conferring with Tiann!

Andoran

Fighter 4 (Two-Handed), HP 40/40, AC: 20/T: 13/FF: 17, Perception +1, F: +7/ R: +4/ W: +2, CMB: +8, CMD: 20, Speed: 20, Init: +4

If we see the threat of which you speak, then rest assured that we will deal with it appropriately.


Very well, off you go...

You continue on your way, and the Centaurs wave absently to you, while discussing how they want to proceed with their hunt.

The trek through the forest is much slower, and evening is approaching after you have travelled another 6 miles or so.

(Mark B on the trail map) The sound of running water echoes ahead, and several muted beams of light pierce the thick forest canopy. Soon the dense forest opens, revealing a river that blocks the way forward. A large felled tree trunk offers a way over the swift moving river. With the exception of the rushing sound of water, an eerie silence pervades the area, as does the fresh smell of death.

MAP

The half-eaten carcass of a large deer stains the forest's foliage near a fast-moving river.

Perception rolls:

Tiann Ceriagh'u: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Jory Redcap: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28 (+2 vs stonework, auto)
Talhaearn: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21 (low light)
Jake Hargrove: 1d20 ⇒ 14
Karzak: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 (darkvision 60')

Everybody but Karzak identifies several rake marks on the carcass, suggesting a powerful feline felled this animal.

I would suggest survival skill checks here.

The river looks like it's moving pretty swiftly.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Barbarian Armored Hulk / 1

Oblivious to the claw marks, Karzak strides froward towards the carcass. Here now; whatcha suppose took this one down...maybe the great cat that those fellas were off ta' hunt?

when he reaches the carcass, he bends down to examine it and any tracks that he can find around it.

Survival1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Survival 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

These rake marks were likely made by the cat that the centaurs are hunting; catching the deer unaware while it was drinking from the river.

That fallen tree looks to be the only way across without wading through the river. A perfect spot for an ambush...but can a jungle cat truly be that cunning?

Tal nocks an arrow and moves cautiously toward the river bank surveying the area around & across the river.

Perception1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 18; ff 17; T:18] HP=43/43 F +8/R+7/W+12 CMD 23 Ki 10/10 Monk (Zen Archer)/5 Perc +14/stone +16 Darkvision 60' per strike 5/5

"Well, something is hunting here. Shall we send someone nimble across with a rope to make the crossing easier for the rest? I'll cover the crossing from this side at the river's edge."

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 survival


The water flows from the west to the east and then south.

Sense motive:
Jory: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Tal: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Karzak: 1d20 ⇒ 14

Karzak and Jory:
You find paw indentations in the forest's dirt floor leading to the large oak tree trunk that bridges the gap over the river. You also feel a piercing presence, as if you are being watched.

Tal:
You spot a black cat with violet eyes watching you from around 40' into the forest beyond the river. It sees you noticing it, and runs off in the opposite direction; you lose track of it within seconds.

Andoran

Fighter 4 (Two-Handed), HP 40/40, AC: 20/T: 13/FF: 17, Perception +1, F: +7/ R: +4/ W: +2, CMB: +8, CMD: 20, Speed: 20, Init: +4

I agree with Jory, securing a rope to the other side would certainly enhance our crossing capabilities.

Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Jake advances slowly to cover Tal's back.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Careful...I just spotted a large black cat behind those trees on the other side of the river. He ran off toward that direction. Tal points to where he first saw the cat and then moves his finger to indicate the direction it ran off.

Silver Crusade

F Human Cleric/1

Studying the deer, Tiann tries to make some sense of the situation.

Survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Hmm... about the river. I don't suppose it's very swimmable. Maybe we can use something around here to help us.

She takes a look around for anything useful.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Perhaps we can simply use one of us as anchor, holding onto one end of the rope while we each secure ourselves with the other end and cross the river via the tree trunk one by one. That way if any of us falls off we won't be swept too far downriver.

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 18; ff 17; T:18] HP=43/43 F +8/R+7/W+12 CMD 23 Ki 10/10 Monk (Zen Archer)/5 Perc +14/stone +16 Darkvision 60' per strike 5/5

"I'll go last as my gear is light and you can pull me across if I fall in when I tie the rope to my waist. That lets be cover the crossings for everyone."

Taking out his silk rope he hands one end to Tal and the other to Karzak and Jake.

"Can't have Karzak or Jake go first, they weigh a ton with all their gear and they aren't nearly as agile as you are. Once you secure the rope, Karzak and Jake can cross to get some beef on your side. If something bad happens on your trip over, we'll just pull you back and I'll pepper anything on the other side from here. If you make it uneventfully, Jake and Karzak can cross with a secured rope."

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Tal ties one end of the rope to his waist and uses the fallen tree as a bridge to the other side.

I assume an acrobatics check...I've got the skill at +7. Can I take 10 here?


You can take 10 on crossing the fallen tree as long as you are not rushed or in combat. You will quickly find that it's relatively easy acrobatics to get across (DC10).

Tal encounters no issues getting across the river safely (please move yourselves).

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Ahhmmm...guys that was pretty easy. I feel as though we may have over thought this one. Just come over one at a time and I think we'll be good.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Barbarian Armored Hulk / 1

Karzak grunts, then shifts his bulk towards the tree. He glances down at the river, then at the tree, then down at his heavy, spike-studded steel armor. Heh...best be chuckin' that rope over 'ere Tal! Think tha' tall one 'ere and I'll need all the help we can get!

With my armor check penalty, I'm at a -4 for acrobatics...maybe better safe than sorry. Assuming he throws me the rope and thus lowers the DC, he'll cross
1d20 - 4 ⇒ (8) - 4 = 4

Andoran

Fighter 4 (Two-Handed), HP 40/40, AC: 20/T: 13/FF: 17, Perception +1, F: +7/ R: +4/ W: +2, CMB: +8, CMD: 20, Speed: 20, Init: +4

Well, here goes nothing!

Acrobatics: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (9) - 2 = 7

Silver Crusade

F Human Cleric/1

Fun times.

Acrobatics: 1d20 - 6 ⇒ (11) - 6 = 5


Jake, you just watched Karzak fall in the water, so we'll resolve your own fall into the water after Karzak is done, since presumably you went one at a time.

I assume that if Karzak asked for the rope, Tal threw it. In only a second, Karzak is swept east as far as the rope will go.

Karzak, make a strength check (it's not that deep but the current is very strong) or a swim check.


If everyone could please stop failing and just fail one at a time, this will be easier. Or are you going without the rope? :)

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 18; ff 17; T:18] HP=43/43 F +8/R+7/W+12 CMD 23 Ki 10/10 Monk (Zen Archer)/5 Perc +14/stone +16 Darkvision 60' per strike 5/5

Jory is securing a rope to the big tree on this side so his hands are free to shoot or fish out swimmers.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Tal tosses his end of the rope back toward the others and watches as Karzak ties the rope firmly around himself, walk slowly out onto the fallen tree trunk and promptly fall into the water.

I took the liberty of moving everyone closer to the fallen tree and, per Jory's last post, I have connected one end of the rope to the tree and left the other end attached to the slightly soggy dwarf. I'm glad we're getting all these low rolls out of the way early.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Barbarian Armored Hulk / 1

Karzak sputters and curses in rage, even swatting at te water as if he could hurt it. He attempts to haul himself up the rope towards dry land.

Strength check
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Karzak is swept and hurts himself on a sharp rock. The rope stops him from moving further down stream.

Keep rolling until you get a 15DC str, take a point of damage for each further failure. Successful str check lets you get up out either side of the river.

Once Karzak is out, Jake and Tiann will need to do the same. You can either do a DC15 str check or a DC10 swim check. If you are not tied off, you will be swept down river 20' each failure (round) and take 1 point of damage.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Barbarian Armored Hulk / 1

Oof!

Karzak spits out curses as he tries to pull himself out.

Damned cat prolly thinks this is hilarious!

Strength checks
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 18; ff 17; T:18] HP=43/43 F +8/R+7/W+12 CMD 23 Ki 10/10 Monk (Zen Archer)/5 Perc +14/stone +16 Darkvision 60' per strike 5/5

Jory calls out to Tal, "Karzak is considered a good swimmer among dwarves. His swimmming nickname is rock."

Jory pulls out some paper and draws a picture of Karzak swimming across the water in full armor. There is significant embellishment of his swimming prowess in his illustration.

Now I have three in the collection!

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Assuming Karzak pulls himself up on my side of the river...

Now that two of us are over here I think we would be better off if we held the other end of the rope...that way we can pull you up if you slip.


Karzak: 2 points of damage total.

The rope will allow you to stop Jake and Tiann from going more than 20' downstream, and guarantee no more than 3 rolls until they are pulled up on shore.

Jake and Tiann, roll 3 strength (DC15) or swim (DC10) checks. Your first success means no more rolls. Each failure is a point of damage, if you fail 3 times you are dragged out by your friends.

After Jake and Tiann make it to the other side, Rees carefully works his way across the fallen tree, and makes it across without incident.

Jory, you can take 10 on the acro check, so we'll assume you get over just fine.

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 18; ff 17; T:18] HP=43/43 F +8/R+7/W+12 CMD 23 Ki 10/10 Monk (Zen Archer)/5 Perc +14/stone +16 Darkvision 60' per strike 5/5

Jory is somewhat disappointed he didn't get to the see kitty when he crosses over the river.

I think the swimming Karzak is my best work yet!

Silver Crusade

F Human Cleric/1

Strength 1: 1d20 ⇒ 9
Strength 2: 1d20 ⇒ 7
Strength 3: 1d20 ⇒ 14

Ugh, I was never good at this... ... and certain colorful metaphors cross Tiann's mind as she completely fails to manage the current.

I think you should amend that post to if Tiann makes it to the other side

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Barbarian Armored Hulk / 1

Karzak grimaces as he readjusts his armor, then helps Tal with the rope. He's so bedraggled, humiliated, and angry that he can even come up with a proper curse.


Tiann gets pulled out by Karzak and Tal, after taking 3 points of damage from the rocks.

951 to 1,000 of 1,435 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Fnord's PFS First Steps All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.