Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


GM Fnord's PFS First Steps (Inactive)

Game Master Aoth Anskuld


51 to 100 of 1,435 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

F Human Cleric/1

Tiann takes one solid look around the temple, trying to take it all in, before heading out, smiling to herself. What a wonderful place. Too bad I'm not working with religious sorts... that's okay. Everyone has their own path.

Is there a boxed text description of the temple? Or any level of detail? I am rather curious.

After making sure the group is accounted for, she boards a carriage and tries to keep an eye out for this spy.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Talhaearn scans the area outside of the temple, looking for anything suspicious.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Barbarian Armored Hulk / 1

Karzak looks at Jory's picture of the spy once again in order to commit it to memory before he hops aboard the second carriage, maintaining a careful watch out for any suspicious figures.

perception for the ride
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 19; ff 17; T:19] HP=51/51 F +9/R+8/W+13 CMD 23 Ki 11/11 Monk (Zen Archer)/6 Perc +15/stone +17 Darkvision 60' per strike 6/6

Jory and Karzak will show up first with the story of the orphans found stranded in the street. As dwarves they obviously wouldn't want to raise human foundlings. Rest of the party will arrive 15-30 minutes later. Jory makes a copy of his sketch and hands it to Tiann when he disembarks out of sight of the orphanage.

Two obvious strangers from out of town will encourage bad behaviour. Dwarves have a reputation for being straightforward, and I'm sure Karzak does not scream subtlety or subterfuge.

Best to keep the rule of splitting the party violated for the minimum time.

Jory spits in his hand and offers Karzak his hand on the way over and speaks to him, "I'd rather be fighting too, but we might as well do this job well."

Upon arrival at the orphanage, "We understand this is an orphanage and we found some humans wandering the streets that say their parents are dead. Can you help them?"
Jory realizes bragging about his reading skill is a poor conversation gambit--so he tries the direct approach as any dwarf would.


For Jory and Karzak:

Nearly swarming with cats and children, this fine upper-class home appears to be clean and in good condition considering the number and ages of its inhabitants. Three young boys shoot marbles in the dirt near the side porch, and inside strewn toys and more cats lie about on the floors. A few children take care of chores, while coughs and sneezes softly erupt from the children’s dormitories upstairs.

As you walk up and start to speak to the children on the porch, you see a man leaving with a child in tow. The man starts to tip his hat, then brings it down lower, as if trying to hide his face. The two hurry off.

"Children, run inside and help with the cleaning, don't talk to...the likes of these." As you stared at the departing man, an old hag of a woman had joined you on the porch, and she was ushering the children away from you, into the house.

"What do you two want here? Hurry off, I don't want any trouble."


For everyone else:

Do you use your extra time to investigate in the area? If so, what rolls would you like to make? Some options are diplomacy (gather information), or knowledge (local). You can make rolls or assist others with rolls. Or, you can get creative with the roleplaying.

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 19; ff 17; T:19] HP=51/51 F +9/R+8/W+13 CMD 23 Ki 11/11 Monk (Zen Archer)/6 Perc +15/stone +17 Darkvision 60' per strike 6/6

Jory immediately doesn't like what he sees and sprints quickly (for a dwarf) to catch the man with the hat.

Sense motive (like he needs it) man 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Sense motive boy 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

He grabs him quickly on the arm, "Are you adopting this boy?"


The man raises an eyebrow, "Unhand me sir, unless you want the guard involved. This boy and I are none of your concern, and I have places to be. If you have a problem, take it up with Auntie Baltwin, not me."

You can tell that the boy doesn't seem afraid of the man, and the man doesn't seem to have any violent intent. The threat to call for guard intervention seems legitimate.

Andoran

Fighter 5 (Two-Handed), HP 40/48, AC: 20/T: 13/FF: 17, Perception +1, F: +7/ R: +4/ W: +2, CMB: +8, CMD: 20, Speed: 20, Init: +4

Jake sticks close to Tianna and Talhaearn as any good bodyguard would. He speaks to the two of them in a hushed tone.

How much time should we give the game?

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 19; ff 17; T:19] HP=51/51 F +9/R+8/W+13 CMD 23 Ki 11/11 Monk (Zen Archer)/6 Perc +15/stone +17 Darkvision 60' per strike 6/6

So much for not having to go back to the temple, this stinks to high heaven.

"Human boy, do you have something to say for yourself? Is this your new human dad?"

A little retraction now.

Jory and Khazad go in and Jory gives his carefully rehearsed speech to avoid embarassment.

"Auntie Baltwin, we understand this is an orphanage and we found some humans wandering the streets that say their parents are dead. Can you help them?"

Silver Crusade

F Human Cleric/1

Tiann nods at Jake. Either twenty-thirty minutes or until we hear dwarf swears.

She tries to speak to some people who work in the area, asking about whether the orphanage treats their little ones well, and starts off by inquiring about their religious upbringing.

While I don't want to push my faith on anyone, I do hope you can agree that at least learning of the different forces that shape our world is important, right? I pray that the children are taught about what to expect in the world as adults.

Diplomacy to try to get some information out of someone sympathetic to being worldly knowledgeable: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


The boy looks confused. "New dad? Huh? I do his floors once a week."

The man frowns, "What? The boy doesn't seem sick. Why would I hire a sick boy? That just sounds dangerous."

The man gets into a carriage, and gives the child a hand up, and they depart.


The workers only vaguely know of the Home for Recovery, but point Tiann in the direction of the nearby market, where everyone in the area goes to shop.


Auntie Baldwin mutters, "...filthy boots..."

"Orphans get taken by the city, and some do come here, yes, but generally only if they are sick. Some parents also bring their children here if they need medical care. It is, after all, the Home for Recovery. If you have sick human children, you'd better leave them here until I can get someone from the proper authorities to take them."

dice:
r1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
r2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Jory, give me a bluff if you want her to believe your story at all. Both dwarves can do sense motive on Auntie Baldwin.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Barbarian Armored Hulk / 1

Karzak shakes Jory's hand, his eyes going from hostile to suspicious to...cheerful. A wide grin shows thick yellow teeth. Well now; ya' are a dwarf! I'll be an orc's chamber pot! Well said; I'm with ya'...talkin' first, stompin' later.

During the carriage ride, Karzak does his best to memorize his part in this ploy. Orphans....disaster, then orphans. Found this one, and he needs help. By the time they arrive, he thinks he has it...but then Jory goes off script. Karzak tries to keep up with him, even going so far as to grab the handle of his hammer, hoping for the chance for a bit of fun with the potential abductor.

Then, Jory goes and gets back on script. But, by then...Karzak was lost. All that he could offef was a wide-eyed stare, and then an arms out proclamation. Disaster kilt their mums!

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 19; ff 17; T:19] HP=51/51 F +9/R+8/W+13 CMD 23 Ki 11/11 Monk (Zen Archer)/6 Perc +15/stone +17 Darkvision 60' per strike 6/6

Jory thinks about trying to embellish his story, but leaves it as is.
Bluff 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (1) - 3 = -2
Flustered he tries to utter the first true thing he can think of.
"I can read and write."
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25 sense motive on woman

He quickly looks at Khazad "Let's get the others. This isn't going well."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Barbarian Armored Hulk / 1

sense motive
1d20 ⇒ 18


Karzak and Jory:
You can tell that Baltwin doesn't like dwarves, and is eager for you to leave.

Gilga Baltwin says, "You are trying my patience with your shenanegans, I have work to do, get going you two before I take my broom to your heads."

She closes the door, and leaves the dwarves standing on the porch.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Barbarian Armored Hulk / 1

Karzak watches the retreating figure, and his anger rises as she shuts the door in their faces. He contemplates whether the door would stand up to a hammer blow, but his Pathfinder training prevails, and he refrains from demolishing the structure. He looks at Jory and nods.

Agreed, though it'd be good to know where that fella with the kid had gone; think we could have a few questions to ask him.. The dwarf cracks his knuckles loudly, leaving no confusion as to the type of "asking" he meant.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Talhaearn heads to the market with Tiann and Jake, occasionally checking around to see if they're being followed.

Perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

Jake... I do appreciate the vigilance but I fear you may make others wary to speak with us if you look too menacing. Give us a smile or something.

Talhaearn wanders about the market, speaking with vendor and customer alike. He's not particularly skilled at talking to strangers but he knows a bit about the area and is able to engage in small talk without sounding too awkward.

Knowledge-Local 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Diplomacy 1d20 ⇒ 14

Silver Crusade

F Human Cleric/1

Nodding to Talhaearn, Tiann smiles at Jake. See, not so hard! And in a similarly hushed tone, If you keep whispering people are gonna be suspicious. If you've got any family members who run shops, they can definitely tell you that a whispering stranger is cause for at least concern. Back to her normal voice, Tell me, what's your favorite part of Absalom?

She makes an effort at finding some common ground with the people in the market at the center of the world. While perhaps not quite as worldly as others, she likes to think people skills are something she does well and thus gives it her best shot.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


Talhaearn:
You think you caught another glimpse of the face in the drawing, but when you tried to pick him out again, he must have already slipped away. You find no trail to follow.

At the market, Talhaearn meets Miltivis, who has run the market for years. He claims that he has served Auntie Baldwin for over 30 years, and while a good customer, she is quite demanding and often rude to the other customers. He says she has kept his supplier of fine, expensive whiskeys in business for decades.

Tiann meets Gilga Baltwin's neighbors Travost and Tirelle Anthos, who are frankly tired of the noises the children make and the retinue of cats - though they do appreciate the cats mousing skills. They admit to being happy when Auntie Baltwin sends the children "off into the town" during the day, as it gives them a few hours of peace and quiet before they return in the evening.

The Anthos also introduce Tiann to Master Trebb Bonto, who owns the estate across the street from Baltwin. He is a retired builder, with nothing but nice things to say about Lady Baltwin, as he calls her. He recounts tales of tea and games on the sitting porch, though he lets slip that she often cheats at games and sometimes had some shady characters coming to whisper in her ear and palm her small bags of what might have been money, before slinking away. "Otherwise a find lady, indeed." he quickly adds.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

After speaking with Miltivis Talhaearn spies at a vendor who is selling small wooden toys and becomes enthralled with a stick that has a cup carved into the top and with a small ball attached with a piece of long string; the object being to catch the ball in the cup. He does this a few times and then decides to challenge himself. He picks up two with each hand and tries to catch all four balls at once.

Win or lose, he hopes the spectacle he is making of himself loosens a few tongues.

Sleight of Hand 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


A young girl is sweeping the shop, and laughs at Talhaearn's antics. The shopkeeper looks to see what she is up to, but decides Talhaearn seems to be no danger to her. "Millie, don't play with the customers, the sooner you get your work done the sooner I can take you back to Auntie." The shopkeeper turns, and starts doing some paperwork.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Wizard - 1

Ice will attempt to aid in Talhaern's performance, casting prestidigitation from the shadows to make the ball look brighter and seemingly spark when it lands in the cup. He will do this as subtly as possible to keep all the focus on Talhaearn.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17 Stealth


Millie's sweeping becomes slower, as she is entranced by the show. "Again! Show me!"

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Talhaearn sees that Ice has Millie's attention, so he makes his way over to the shopkeeper.

Sorry if I distracted your daughter from her chores...it sounds like she has a play date with her aunt later on?

Diplomacy 1d20 ⇒ 17


The shopkeeper looks up, "Oh, she's not my daughter, she's just an orphan girl I bring in to do some light work around the shop."

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Wizard - 1

Ice will stutter and stammer, not expecting the role of 'babysitter' but will again pull out Jurassic and cast ghost sound to make it appear as if Jurassic says

Hello Millie!

Ice will smile awkwardly


The cleaning girl's jaw drops. "OOOOH! You're so cute little monster! What's your name?"


The toy shop owner chuckled, content to let Millie amuse herself for a while; it's certainly not a rarity for a child working in a toy shop to get distracted.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Wizard - 1

Ice will cast ghost sound again to reply to Millie

My name is Jurassic, and if you get all your work done, and are a good girl, I will come back and visit soon!

Ice smiles at Millie and collects Jurassic.

Well, you heard 'em Millie; Better get your work done while I go talk to the nice lady that owns the store.

Ice will mess up the top of her hair and smile and make his way to Talhearn, shaking his head at him as he approaches.


Millie starts sweeping in earnest again, singing a little song to herself about her new friend Drassic the tiny monster.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)
GM Fnord wrote:
The shopkeeper looks up, "Oh, she's not my daughter, she's just an orphan girl I bring in to do some light work around the shop."

My apologies...such a delightful girl. So there is in orphanage close by? I'd imagine being an orphan is tough for a little girl; but working in a toy shop must make it a little easier!


rolls:
r1: 1d20 ⇒ 5

The shopkeeper responds, "Yes, the Home for Recovery is not far. A lot of the children there are there for treatment, but many of the long term residents are healthy enough to work."

I'll have to ask for diplomacy and sense motive checks from Tal and Ice here

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Wizard - 1

1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10 Diplomacy

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10 Sense Motive

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Diplomacy 1d20 ⇒ 11

Sense Motive 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Andoran

Fighter 5 (Two-Handed), HP 40/48, AC: 20/T: 13/FF: 17, Perception +1, F: +7/ R: +4/ W: +2, CMB: +8, CMD: 20, Speed: 20, Init: +4

Jake begins to sport an awkward, but sincere grin as he escorts the ladies around the marketplace.

Better, ladies? I am trying to be a bit more likeable. Your advice is appreciated. What I like best about Absalom is the diversity of people. Of course, my Andoran roots drive my pursuit of freedom and democracy for all. The slave trade here does anger me.


When it starts to feel like you are probing for information more than just making friendly conversation, the toy shop manager clams up, clearly wary. You are probably not going to get anything more out of her without causing an incident.

Millie has paid no attention to your conversation with the manager, and is still humming happily. You have clearly made her day!

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Wizard - 1

Ice will start to head towards the exit then, but before leaving he will say to Millie,you're doing good work little one and will then quickly cast prestidigitation one more time to clean an area of the floor right before her eyes.

Then a wink and exit.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Thank you for your time...you really do have a fantastic shop.

As Tal makes for the door he beckons Ice closer. We might have better luck talking to Millie...

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Wizard - 1

I think I have an even better idea, follow me out, but keep the door open ever so slightly...

Ice pulls Jurassic from seemingly no where again and grins with a wink to Tal.

Silver Crusade

F Human Cleric/1

Hm... seems like these kids are put to work a bit harder than they should be... or maybe I had a spoiled childhood.

Tiann tries to talk to Millie and get the measure of the relationship between her and the shopkeep, crouching down so she and Millie are eye-to-eye. So, does the shopkeep here let you play with the toys a lot, or do you just have to work?

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


Millie responds, "I don't usually have time to play here, I play when I'm back home. Us healthy kids have to work to help pay for our room and board."

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 19; ff 17; T:19] HP=51/51 F +9/R+8/W+13 CMD 23 Ki 11/11 Monk (Zen Archer)/6 Perc +15/stone +17 Darkvision 60' per strike 6/6

Jory walks with Khazad to rejoin the others. Jory reports primarily to Tiann as she is of the church too.

"This Auntie chararcter, she hires these kids out for work. She definitely doesn't like dwarves, or at least not the two of us."

The dwarven diplomatic duo returns with mixed results.

"Maybe we should confront her or report her for working kids. Is working kids bad here Tiann?"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Barbarian Armored Hulk / 1

Karzak's eyes glow with inner fire at the thought of a confrontation, and he nods sagely with Jory's words, as it to confirm them, though he witnessed little and contributed less.

so, wha' 'bout the medicine? Can we be sure she's not selling it? I think we need to have a look inside.

Andoran

Fighter 5 (Two-Handed), HP 40/48, AC: 20/T: 13/FF: 17, Perception +1, F: +7/ R: +4/ W: +2, CMB: +8, CMD: 20, Speed: 20, Init: +4

I agree. Talhaearn, you may be best suited for some recon, no? I am pretty sure that we could create a diversion.

Grand Lodge

M Dwarf [AC: 19; ff 17; T:19] HP=51/51 F +9/R+8/W+13 CMD 23 Ki 11/11 Monk (Zen Archer)/6 Perc +15/stone +17 Darkvision 60' per strike 6/6

Definition

diversion (n):

From the dwarven word 'dives' which means to destroy.
Any group of two dwarves having had a door slammed in their face by a dwarf-hating old biddy that have at least one hammer or axe between them.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Sounds like a decent enough plan to me. Tal looks toward the Dwarves. I think perhaps the biggest diversions come in small packages.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Wizard - 1

I will help in any way I can. Jurassic is also more than willing to play spy or talk to the girl.

51 to 100 of 1,435 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Fnord's PFS First Steps All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.