Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

GM Elberion's Council of Thieves

Game Master GeraintElberion

Five Wiscrani natives are struggling to free their city from the dark forces that plague it...


501 to 550 of 1,513 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>

GM All-powerful dictator of reality 4

Rizzardo whispers back: What, know body would be daft enough to sneak around the streets at night, not with the shadow beasts...
His voice peeters out and then rises again in a strangled yelp, he pushes Larko in the back, pushing him forward and cries: Shadow beasts! Run!
They both set off at a pace, skidding around corners and leaping over back alley detritus

gm rolls:

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

acrobatics checks to keep up in the dark alley if you run after them.


GM All-powerful dictator of reality 4

Oops, forgetting about half of the party.

Nicolai returns to find Daxius and Hyngrot discussing ambush sites with Janniven. She lets the adventurers take the lead in the discussion, only chiming in to describe the route again:
It's a few hours travel along a fairly unused road, the hellknights keep the vegetation cleared next to the road but it passes through lightly-wooded wilderness and there is a bridge over a stream if that might help.


HP: 10/10 AC 13/13/10: F-1, R +3, W+0, Per:-2, Init: +3

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18


Female Human Conjurer/1 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | HP 8/8 | F +1+2 R +1 W +3 | Init +1| Perc +1/+3|Sense Motive +8

Untrained Acrobatics check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

That's not good.

Knowledge (Local) check to remember anything useful about shadow beasts: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21


GM All-powerful dictator of reality 4

Pontia:

Shadow Beasts are the stuff of urban myth come to life, their nature is mysterious but that they're lethal is undisputed.

They only come out at night, are kept at bay by bright light and seem to attack indiscriminately.

The mayor pays for heavy street lighting in areas important to the upper classes but the rest of the city has a curfew of terror.

*Pontia falls behind as the rest of the group bound along.

Pontia, you can hear heavy movements along the alley behind you.


HP: 10/10 AC 13/13/10: F-1, R +3, W+0, Per:-2, Init: +3

"Damn."

Astra turns and rushes back to grab Pontia and pull her along.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
Acrobatics to assist Pontia: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29


Female Human Conjurer/1 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | HP 8/8 | F +1+2 R +1 W +3 | Init +1| Perc +1/+3|Sense Motive +8

Acrobatics roll with assistance: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 1 + 2 = 20

That's better.

With Astra's help, Pontia picks her way rapidly through the darkened alley.


GM All-powerful dictator of reality 4

Astra's deft steps help to guide Pontia through the darkening night and the pair almost miss the concealed entrance to the cathedral, until a chink of light shows and the door is swung wide to let them in.

Finally, the group is reunited and given a chance to plan for the morning before getting some sleep.

Janniven has outlined the typical road, and the bridge site: See them here

The group all gather round your discussion, eager to answer questions and offer help: Gorvio might be able to provide horses, Ermolos can remove any shackles at his forge, most offer to help in any way they can...


Female Human Conjurer/1 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | HP 8/8 | F +1+2 R +1 W +3 | Init +1| Perc +1/+3|Sense Motive +8

Pontia sits back for a minute, trying to ignore the conversations around her, and thinks. Hmmm...getting to the wagon won't be easy, with the guards...what if we...? She leans forward again and interrupts at the next pause. "Do you know whether the Hellknight armigers and signifier will be mounted?"


Janniven nods to Pontia: I expect so, when I've seen them before they've had a few riding up ahead and more riding on the lock-wagon.


Female Human Conjurer/1 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | HP 8/8 | F +1+2 R +1 W +3 | Init +1| Perc +1/+3|Sense Motive +8

"Well, so much for that idea. Sorry, what I was thinking of doing is having some of you stage an attack--just a couple of arrow shots, really--near the bridge to try and draw away a few of the armigers, and get the wagon team to hurry away from the supposed ambush. Then the rest of us would be hiding under the bridge, laying in wait for the wagon. But if they're on horseback, staging the attack would be too risky for your people; you couldn't run away.

"So we'd have to face ten mounted combatants in good armor, with a spellcaster backing them. This won't be easy."


Male Human Inquisitor of Iomedae 3 [HP 27/27, AC 19/12/17, F +4 R +3 W +5]

Daxius is gratified to see everyone interested in planning for their upcoming operation. He gratefully accepts Gorvio's offer of horses. "Martial doctrine espouses driving through an ambush. Unless we are able to disable the lockwagon, its driver, or the horses pulling it, they may choose to continue on at speed. We would be forced to pursue on horseback or be quickly left behind."

He listens to Pontia's analysis and nods. "Perhaps we might block the bridge, forcing the wagon to stop, or at least slow to turn around."


{Hunter} Male Half-Orc Urban Ranger 3 {HP15/28 | AC 17 T12 FF14 CMD 18 | F/R/W 5/5/2}

"Douse it in oil and light the thing up as they approach. With luck the horses will panic and lose the lockwagon. Thing looks stone from the map, so probably won't collapse. The panic might give us a chance for ambush to boot. 'course we'd need some oil to start, I figure Nicolai can do something about igniting it."


HP: 10/10 AC 13/13/10: F-1, R +3, W+0, Per:-2, Init: +3

"I can pick the locks, but I'll need time."


Male Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Nicolai listens to the planning, and nods at Hyngrot. "One of my bombs could indeed ignite some pitch. I wonder; perhaps we could also arrange a way to cut them off from the way they came? Force them to a complete stop?"


Female Human Conjurer/1 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | HP 8/8 | F +1+2 R +1 W +3 | Init +1| Perc +1/+3|Sense Motive +8

Pontia again studies the sketch of the bridge. "Is the stream bed below grade, does the bridge arch over it, or both?"


Male Human Inquisitor of Iomedae 3 [HP 27/27, AC 19/12/17, F +4 R +3 W +5]

Daxius nods with a grim smile."We might block their retreat with a dead tree, or perhaps simply step out into the road and block them that way. I propose we get a few hours of rest, then head out to the bridge to be there by dawn."

Daxius will organize gathering the oil or pitch, or whatever flammables might be handy, and works out the details with the horses. Hopefully their allies can continue to pull watch so the PCs don't have to. He will be ready to move to the bridge in the morning.


HP: 10/10 AC 13/13/10: F-1, R +3, W+0, Per:-2, Init: +3

Tired and sore from her trip through the sewers, Astra finds a nice place to lie down after giving Hyngrot his vest back. She's out almost instantly.


Male Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Clutching his retrieved formula book, Nicolai nods. "I will get some rest, and prepare a some extracts that might be useful."

He excuses himself and heads to whatever he can comfortably sleep upon.


GM All-powerful dictator of reality 4

The gang have their own routines and they rustle up comfortable, if makeshift, beds for all of you in an old robing room and a choir area.

The walls are still decorated with carvings of scenes from Aroden's life: as you sleep, angels dance above you and great magics hang in the etched sky.

Roles in the morning:
Gorvio will hustle to his uncle's stable at first light, if anyone would like to go along.

Mathalen and Rizzardo have friends amongst the stevedores and dockworkers, they will also head out at first light to fetch supplies, and will also welcome company.

Janniven will stay at the cathedral with Morosino as a runner and Sclavo will head to the legal district and keep appraised of the situation there.

Tarvi will pick up Amaya (another of the gang) in the morning, so that she can contribute.

Make any morning plans here or in the Discussion thread and we will begin with the cock-crow.


Male Human Inquisitor of Iomedae 3 [HP 27/27, AC 19/12/17, F +4 R +3 W +5]

Knowing very little about horses, and realizing they might need quite a bit of pitch or oil, Daxius volunteers to go with Mathalen and Rizzardo to fetch supplies. He prepares by ensuring that his personal equipment is well secured, just in case he has no chance to return to the abandoned temple.

He speaks with the men as he travels, lifting their spirits with encouragement and predicting how their success will make great strides for justice in the city. "Iomedae is with us in this mission. She will guide our hands."


Female Human Conjurer/1 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | HP 8/8 | F +1+2 R +1 W +3 | Init +1| Perc +1/+3|Sense Motive +8

Pontia awakens early and performs her meditative exercises, then memorizes spells for the day.


Male Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

When Nico awakes, he looks through his book, and measures out the appropriate reagents to replenish his extracts.

Spoiler:
He prepares cure light wounds, shield, and true strike.


Female Human Conjurer/1 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | HP 8/8 | F +1+2 R +1 W +3 | Init +1| Perc +1/+3|Sense Motive +8

Before everyone has a chance to go their separate ways, Pontia gathers the party and any of the rest of Janiven's people she can. "Maybe you've all thought about this already, I don't know. I realized this morning that when we attack the wagon, we can't let ourselves be identified, and we should kill as few as possible. Those armigers may be the hands of those who'd keep Westcrown in chains, but they have families and friends who won't forget who killed their son, their daughter, their brother or sister. Let's not poison our cause with blood feuds." She smiles a bit ruefully. It figures; the first great test of my new career, and I'm hamstrung by my pathological aversion to glamors and charms.


{Hunter} Male Half-Orc Urban Ranger 3 {HP15/28 | AC 17 T12 FF14 CMD 18 | F/R/W 5/5/2}

"If it comes down to us or them, it's gonna be us in my book." Hyngrot gives a smile after, "But if we can spare a few dumb kids, I suppose won't take me too much convincing."

Hyngrot will go with Gorvio to get the horses.


HP: 10/10 AC 13/13/10: F-1, R +3, W+0, Per:-2, Init: +3

Astra nods her agreement and finishes gathering her things. She goes with Mathalen and Rizzardo to get a scarf and a new shirt.

I'm guessing that it's 6 gp for a sturdy shirt and a long wide scarf, let me know if this is not the case.


GM All-powerful dictator of reality 4
Astra Vesper wrote:

Astra nods her agreement and finishes gathering her things. She goes with Mathalen and Rizzardo to get a scarf and a new shirt.

I'm guessing that it's 6 gp for a sturdy shirt and a long wide scarf, let me know if this is not the case.

You must be shopping in the classiest districts... an entire peasants set of clothes is 1sp. For a well-made but plain shirt and scarf: 3sp


HP: 10/10 AC 13/13/10: F-1, R +3, W+0, Per:-2, Init: +3

Do they come in black? Even if they don't Astra takes them.


Female Human Conjurer/1 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | HP 8/8 | F +1+2 R +1 W +3 | Init +1| Perc +1/+3|Sense Motive +8

If she's willing Pontia will go with Tarvi, in case the other woman is interested in talking shop.

"Since Gorvio has access to horses, staging an ambush should actually be feasible. The two or three who take their shots just need to be able to ride, and know the best escape route from where they are.

"As I understand it, the plan goes like this: We get to the bridge and cover the roadbed with pitch, or something else that burns well. A couple of us hide in the trees a few hundred yards before the bridge. As the lockwagon and their vanguard pass, the ones in the trees take a bowshot or two at the armigers around or just behind the lockwagon. If all goes well, a few armigers will break off at that point and go after the ambush team, and the rest of them will speed up. The ambush team runs away. Just before the lockwagon reaches the bridge, Nicolai fires the pitch with a bomb, and I open a pit behind the lockwagon. We move in on the remaining armigers and the signifier and try to neutralize them before the rest get back. If the ambush team is still able, they send a few more arrows at the armigers as they ride back to the wagon. During the fight, Astra picks the lock on the wagon, and as soon as Arael is free we try to withdraw.

"Did I miss anything?"


Male Human Inquisitor of Iomedae 3 [HP 27/27, AC 19/12/17, F +4 R +3 W +5]

Daxius raises his eyebrows, impressed. "I will be with the bridge burning team."


Female Human Conjurer/1 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | HP 8/8 | F +1+2 R +1 W +3 | Init +1| Perc +1/+3|Sense Motive +8

"I'd also like to have Hyngrot with us." With a twinkle in her eye, she goes on, "Don't worry--Astra and I can protect you."


HP: 10/10 AC 13/13/10: F-1, R +3, W+0, Per:-2, Init: +3

"Just remember to protect yourself as well. We don't need the both of us dyin' on a Hellknight's pike. Do we have a way of covering our retreat."


Male Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"Sounds well enough...I take it the burning team will hide under the bridge?"


Male Human Inquisitor of Iomedae 3 [HP 27/27, AC 19/12/17, F +4 R +3 W +5]

Daxius nods at Nicolai's question. "I should think so, but we'll need to see the conditions on the ground before we can be sure."

Is there anything more we need to do before we head to te ambush site?


GM All-powerful dictator of reality 4

Sorry for the delay, been a bit sketchy lately.

I'll put up a map soon and you can begin your ambush.


HP: 10/10 AC 13/13/10: F-1, R +3, W+0, Per:-2, Init: +3

No problem.


Male Human Inquisitor of Iomedae 3 [HP 27/27, AC 19/12/17, F +4 R +3 W +5]

cool


GM All-powerful dictator of reality 4

Current map, for planning purposes: The scale is what makes it difficult outdoors.

Here is a closer map, so that you can position yourselves around the bridge. Feel free to request other maps.


HP: 10/10 AC 13/13/10: F-1, R +3, W+0, Per:-2, Init: +3

There should be a way to get the images for the map out of the PDF if you have it. You can put those into Maptools and use that instead of having to rebuild the map from scratch.


Male Human Inquisitor of Iomedae 3 [HP 27/27, AC 19/12/17, F +4 R +3 W +5]

Daxius contributes to the effort of dousing the bridge with flammables, then moves to the treeline. (CP 50) "The trees appear to be close enough to the road so that I might charge to the lockwagon once the bridge is alight. I suggest that we spread out to make us less obvious targets, and converge upon the wagon when the time is right. Those of you with missile weapons please note my place of concealment and endeavor not to shoot me."


Male Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Nicolai will get the bridged prepped alongside Daxius. Afterward, he moves near the foliage nearest to the bridge (CI 27) for cover. He prepares to put a bomb together to ignite the pitch when the convoy is in the right place.


{Hunter} Male Half-Orc Urban Ranger 3 {HP15/28 | AC 17 T12 FF14 CMD 18 | F/R/W 5/5/2}

Which direction is the wagon coming from, just to verify.


{Hunter} Male Half-Orc Urban Ranger 3 {HP15/28 | AC 17 T12 FF14 CMD 18 | F/R/W 5/5/2}

Hyngrot would like to hide under the bridge as well, if it's stone as it appears and would be safe from the fire. If not, in the foliage on the other side will work.


GM All-powerful dictator of reality 4
Hyngrot wrote:
Which direction is the wagon coming from, just to verify.

Wagon is coming from the south.


Female Human Conjurer/1 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | HP 8/8 | F +1+2 R +1 W +3 | Init +1| Perc +1/+3|Sense Motive +8

Pontia also hides under the bridge on the south bank.


HP: 10/10 AC 13/13/10: F-1, R +3, W+0, Per:-2, Init: +3

Astra will hide behind the tree on the left at CH 29

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27 Nice.


Male Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Forgot to hide

Hide 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10


GM All-powerful dictator of reality 4

Janniven hides in the trees opposite Daxius.

Would everyone make Stealth checks, please.

GM rolls:

1d20 ⇒ 17


Female Human Conjurer/1 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | HP 8/8 | F +1+2 R +1 W +3 | Init +1| Perc +1/+3|Sense Motive +8

I have one question--given that we have some time to prepare, and one person with good Perception and Stealth checks herself, can all of us except Astra take 20 on our Stealth checks as she makes sure we're concealed, then have her make her own roll?


{Hunter} Male Half-Orc Urban Ranger 3 {HP15/28 | AC 17 T12 FF14 CMD 18 | F/R/W 5/5/2}

Hyngrot hides beneath the bridge, breathing controlled, weapons at the ready.

Stealth: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

Nice!! Now I don't have to try and beg for a cover bonus.

501 to 550 of 1,513 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Elberion's Council Of Thieves All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.