Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

GM Blood's Rappan Athuk (PF)

Game Master David James Olsen

Current Map


2,951 to 2,994 of 2,994 << first < prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | next > last >>

HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

Did the door open at all, or is it still closed (and enchanted)?


The door is still closed. No one checked if it is still enchanted after the button was pushed. (Assuming someone will, it isn't any longer)


AC 12 (T 12 FF 11); Maximum HP: 24; Current HP: 24 F +4, R +3, W +6

"It was probably a magic trap, that has since discharged. Sometimes magical traps reset themselves, so we should open that door sooner rather than later."


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

Jokbur goes to open the door. He still does a quick check for more things to hurt him, then opens it.
Take 10 on perception for 30 then open door


Jokbur checks out the door and is confident it is not trapped and opens it.

The room beyond is a mirror image of the room you are in now, but without any other doors. The open pit in the room is also slightly different, it is filled with a clear liquid, probably water. You see what appears to be a golden skull set with gems in its eye sockets at the bottom of the shaft.

If you cast detect magic you detect no magic in the room or the pit.


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

"Hey, Qui, what was that fancy magic thing you said you could do for pushing on doors? Can it pick up that skull? Yeah, I know, we'd better not... but, ..."


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Qui looks into the pit and then at Hermann:
I can try. If I cannot pick it up, perhaps I could loop a rope around it so that we can pull it up.

Qui will cast Mage Hand and attempt to lift the skull. If that does not work, he will take a piece of rope with a hook (fishhook, grappling hook, dagger, etc) on it and try to catch it on the skull.


The skull is underwater at the bottom of the pit


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

How far away is the skull? I see nothing in the rules that would not allow Mage Hand to work underwater. As long as the pit is not more than 20' deep, I should be ably to move the skull if it weighs less than 5 pounds. If it is too heavy, I figure that I can manipulate a piece of rope to allow us to pull the skull up.


Its more than 20'


The spell range for you should be 35' (25 + 5'/2 levels) so range is not an issue, though it is heavier than 5 pounds. If you are going to use a rope I would need an explanation on how you would do that. (mage hand can propel an item, but not manipulate it.


AC 12 (T 12 FF 11); Maximum HP: 24; Current HP: 24 F +4, R +3, W +6

Have we checked the pit for traps?

"This is probably the same as the last room. You swim down, pick up the statue, and a block of stone falls on your head, only this time, you're trapped under it with no air to breath. Let's leave it."


The top of the pit filled with water is untrapped, as for farther down you can't tell


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

I am only a level 1 bard, so I think it is only a 25' range. I said 20' figuring that the diagonal would eat up the other 5'.

Qui looks to the others.
The skull is too heavy to lift. I wonder whether we can move it somehow? Or put another heavy stone or brick in its place so that whatever trap we assume is there does not get set off.

If we have something to hook onto the skull, I can probably push the hook into the mouth or an eyehole of the skull to get it caught.

Qui looks around to see if anyone has fish hooks or a grappling hook or something similar.


Oh right forgot about you only having one level

Remember it is a gold skull with gems where the eye socket would be. It doesn't actually have eye hole and a mouth, just shaped like a skull.


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

Jokbur sees the gold skull and begins to work with his grappling hook and fifty foot rope.
"Can you use the magic hand to help move this hook"

Jokbur goes fishing and seems adept with his improvised device--grappling hook: 1d20 ⇒ 15


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

I would think that I could provide an Assist-Other with the mage hand, up to GM Blood though.

Assist other: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 <-- attack, if this would be acrobatics, then it is +11 instead

Ok, second try: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Ok, it is clear that the dicebot hates me today.

Third try: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 <-- assume I keep trying to help until we snag the skull or something else happens. Eventually two dexterous monks should succeed.


I thought since you were only 1st level the 30' range was more than you could use mage hand with?


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

If I can reach 25', I should be able to shift the rope back and forth at about a 25' range which means only moving it with 5' of water between the moving mage hand and the skull.

Rather than trying to drag the grappling hook about in 30' of water, we would be only really shifting the bottom 5', which I would think is much easier.


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

"Edmund, can you summon any aquatic creatures that could manipulate the skull? That appears to be quite a bit of wealth, it'd be a shame to leave it here."


AC 12 (T 12 FF 11); Maximum HP: 24; Current HP: 24 F +4, R +3, W +6

"Alas, I have never learned any summoning spells."

How much standing water could be evaporated away using prestidigitation?


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

"Well, we know there's no magical trap at least. But if our previous experiences are any guide its got to be trapped somehow."


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

"Oh, for sure, Lady Ariella! That's why I didn't just shuck my armor and dive in!" he jested.


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

"Qui, could you not cast your spell, then swim down a short way, and try moving the skull? Surely if you're only ten or fifteen feet under the water you'd be out of range of any trap on the skull?" Ariella asks. "Let me heal you some," she says reaching out and doing a little dance to summon some magic. She lays hands on the frog to heal him.

Cure light: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Qui shivers briefly as the healing magic courses through him reducing some of the beating he took from the last stone fall trap.

Qui then looks at the pit, followed by looking up at the ceiling.
Is there any way to cover the pit? Or perhaps make it so that if there is another large stone, it will not fall into the pit? I may be related to amphibians in my races distant past, but we are tree climbers, not natural swimmers.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13 <-- does it appear as though there is any type of a trap that might fall from the ceiling?


AC 12 (T 12 FF 11); Maximum HP: 24; Current HP: 24 F +4, R +3, W +6

"Out of range of a falling block from the ceiling? This is folly. If we can lift Jokbur up somehow, maybe he can check the ceiling for falling stone blocks."

How high is the ceiling?


Assume 10' unless I specifically state it as different.

Jokbur is able to search around the ceiling and cannot find a trap or any evidence that something will fall from the ceiling


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

Did the stones in the other room magically appear, or were they mechanical?


After the button was pushed a large block of stone with a thick chain fell from the ceiling above into the pit.


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Qui looks down in the pit again.

Perhaps rather than trying to get it on the first try, lets just move it. If we make a loop with the rope, using the mage hand and us up here, we should be able to get the loop around the skull in such a manner than we could move it. If there is a trigger of some sort, this should set it off I would think. We can use a stone or something else heavy to get the rope to sink.

We can probably break off a piece of the chain mounted stone from the other room if a piece did not crack off when it fell.


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

We can try that.


The chain is very thick and still firmly attached to the stone in the other room.

While I don't think you'll be able to scoop it up, I think having something knock it over is doable

You rig something up heavy and attach it to a rope. Using magic you are able to hit it and knock it over on the bottom after a few tries. Nothing happens, other than it falling over.


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Qui looks back into the pit.

Well, I can try to swim down. I just hope that there is nothing else down there. Someone should tie a rope to me in case I need to be pulled up.

Qui then looks to Ariella: Any chance you have some more of that healing magic? I would rather be as uninjured as possible if I am swimming by myself.


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

"I think I can do it three more times before I'll need to rest. Maybe Jonas could patch you up better? I'd prefer to save my energy for emergencies."


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

"I am also still hurt from the traps. Maybe we go for it when I am at 100%"


Had some time to update the overall map of this level today


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

"Hopefully I won't need to." Jonas says worriedly. He didn't particularly like any plan where he wasn't close enough to protect his friends.

Maybe just swim down and gently hook a grapple on the skull, or tie it to it, then swim back up and we'll tug on it."

"If anything goes wrong before that, we'll haul you up."

Jonas walked over and let Sarenrae's healing light wash over Jockbur. "Sorry, I didn't realize you were injured. Next time speak up."

Lay on Hands: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Lay on Hands: 1d6 ⇒ 6


So is that enough healing to try it out?


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

35/38 hp
Jokbur is healed and moves to try it out. He is careful about getting smashed again.
Take 10 Perception


Jokbur swims down to the bottom and grabs the skull and gets to the top without injury! (1,000 gp value)


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

Jokbur returns and hands the skull to the group.
"Hopefully full plate for Herman is going to be possible soon!

He proceeds to the closest unexplored passageway.


AC 12 (T 12 FF 11); Maximum HP: 24; Current HP: 24 F +4, R +3, W +6

Edmund holds his breath as Jokbur swims down, and when he returns without incident, he lets it out in one gush.

"Well, I am quite happy to have been wrong. At least we were careful this time."


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

"Nice!" Ariella exclaims, "You did well Jockbur."


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Qui looks at the golden skull.
This place just keeps getting stranger. Deadly traps hiding nothing and no traps protecting the actual treasure.

2,951 to 2,994 of 2,994 << first < prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Blood's Rappan Athuk (PF) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.