Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

GM Blood's Rappan Athuk (PF) (Inactive)

Game Master David James Olsen

Current Map


251 to 300 of 3,070 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Yeh, it is probably 7-11, 11-3, 3-7 -- although I doubt any of us have watches.


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

Jonas was bitter, thanking Ari and Sarenrae for their healing energies, but seeming very disappointed in himself. Feeling the scrapes on his armor where teeth nearly caught flesh, he simply shook his head and layed out his bedroll and unbuckled the metal plates of his armor, leaving him in only the chain and leather reinforced padding beneath.

Sleeping in Chain Shirt. It's light armor, so no fatigue.


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

"Jonas, a word if it pleases you to do so," requested Hermann on seeing the younger man's disquiet.

Don't want to make an assumption you will or won't be willing to talk!


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 9/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

Ariella gives Jonas a big hug when she sees that he's okay, then slaps him. "Don't you ever do something that stupid again." Then she hugs him again. "I'm glad you're okay."

"The watches sound good. I'm nearly out of magic for the day." she says to the others. After the stress of the battle she unbuckles her armor, and then sort of slumps down somewhere, falling quickly asleep.


Feel free to have your discussion before these next events

About an hour after Jonas and Quirmydt takes a watch, they begin to hear movement outside the cottage, and it doesn't seem whomever they are is trying to hide the fact they have surrounded you.

You are pretty sure you hear some horses as well.


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

I look over at Jonas and put my finger to my lips.

I then move to quietly waken Herman and Jokbur.

Stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17


Half-elf hp=38/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

"Hey, that could have gone better, but we all are here."
After waking in his leather and discovering they are surrounded, the ranger speaks up: "Herman, don't know if you'll have time to put on the heavy stuff. We have guests with horses."


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

If I have time, I cast Message and point at Jonas.

Whisper - You and I can communicate in whispers that those outside cannot hear.


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

Earlier, Jonas would have only nodded to his sister knowing he deserved the slap.

Jonas nods and starts waking the others, prodding them with the butt of his polearm.

Pointing to the window, he urges one of the stealthy folks to take a look outside.

Jonas has Darkvision. Can he see anything out the front doorway or the windows?


Jonas can see about a dozen men a couple of them on horses. It seems at least one of them can tell you are looking out and signals one of the men. He says, "By order of the king of Bard's Gate, we command you to come out of the building, unarmed, or else we will assume you are bandits and will kill each of you. You have 30 seconds."


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

Jonas nods and walks to the doorway, leaning his weapon against the wall on the inside and putting his hands up where they can see them.

"We will gladly comply, we are not bandits, but we'd like some sort of proof that you are agents of the crown."

From where he is, can he see them? Are they wearing uniforms or heraldry of any kind?


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Qui puts out his small arm to stop Jonas from moving.
Whisper - Remember the trickery of the worgs. Who is to say that these are not the same.

Qui listens carefully to determine whether these midnight visitors are sincere or more deceitful monsters such as the worgs the previous day.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


AC 10 (T 10 FF 10); Maximum HP: 42; Current HP: 42 F +5, R +6, W +10

"May we have some light so that we can verify your claims? We are honest travelers, and have no quarrel with the crown, but earlier today, we thought we had met honest travelers who turned out to be worgs, so you can understand if we are leary to trust again so soon."


Half-elf hp=38/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

Jokbur speaks, "If you are from Bard 's gate, show the standard."
perception-sense motive: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (10) + 16 = 261d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


"First you will lay down your arms and come out of the cottage."

They seem well equipped and the horses well fed. You see no outward standard or sigil, but they are all dressed in matching yet generic armor.

Both Quirmydt and Jokbur sense that the leader of the group is sincere.


AC 10 (T 10 FF 10); Maximum HP: 42; Current HP: 42 F +5, R +6, W +10

"Well, friendly or not, they have the cottage surrounded, horses, and can simply burn us out if they want to. If they are bandits, this cottage isn't going to protect us."

Edmund picks up his cane and hobbles (with extra hobble) out the front door.

Bluff: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Has anyone ever heard of "Bard's Gate"? I do not see the name mentioned anywhere. If we were in land controlled by a king, I assume we would know who the king is and have heard of the name of the land/city.


Bard's Gate is a far away city. The roads around here are patrolled by the king's forces to keep the merchants (somewhat) safe. You are quite a bit away from the road currently (basically that is up by Zelkor's Ferry)


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

You carry no markings of the King, your armor and shields are unadorned, you are miles from the nearest road, and it is the middle of the night. Thus, I would ask that you show some standard and insignia as to why you are patrolling in this godforsaken land close to the entrance to the horrors that is the mines.

Perhaps you are the bandits pretending to be the King's guards. What is the penalty for impersonating a guard of the king? Death I do believe.

I remain within the cottage and shake my head as Edmund begins to hobble out.


AC 10 (T 10 FF 10); Maximum HP: 42; Current HP: 42 F +5, R +6, W +10

Hearing the sense from Qui, Edmund backs up, back into the cottage.

"Yes, he is correct. It is not too much to ask for you to show us a standard."


"One more chance to come out peacefully. If you are truly not bandits you will comply. We are not taking any chances out here to fall for bandit tricks. Proof will be shown after we are convinced you are not a threat or are not bandits."

It doesn't take sense motive to tell he is not bluffing.


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 9/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

"Jonas are they evil?" Ariella asks before walking to the door and opening it, casting light on her holy symbol as she goes. Once she is standing inside the open doorway she will say, "Look, I am an unarmed and unarmored priestess of the Dawnflower." She holds up her empty hands palm out. "Is that satisfactory? Enough at least for you to show us some proof of your good intentions? We can take baby steps toward trust. Show us something and we will come out unarmed."

Diplomacy 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17


Jonas does not detect evil.


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

Hermann wakes almost instantly at being roused.

"Well, what're you all waiting for? If we're surrounded, I'd prefer a quick death by the sword than being burned alive," observed Hermann. "Besides, I think his voice sounds familiar - I may know the man."

Leaving his weapons behind in the cottage as ordered, Hermann heads out.

"Ho, there! I am Hermann von Rabenstrange, captain of the Iron Bears Mercenary Company, and companions. Perhaps you've heard of me?" he asked the apparent leader, waiting for some indication that he might already know who he's talking to.

Knowlege (Nobility): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Knowlege (Local): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 13


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 9/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

Bowled over by Hermann, Ariella grunts softly. So much for baby steps. Hope he's right.


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Qui whispers to Jonas: I am going to hide. If they are not truthful, and I trust them about as far as I can throw them, then you will need a rescue. With my size and the disrepair of this structure, I should be able to remain hidden and communicate with you through this magic for at least a few minutes.

Stealth to hide: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27


AC 10 (T 10 FF 10); Maximum HP: 42; Current HP: 42 F +5, R +6, W +10

"Look, sir, trust issues aside, it doesn't endanger any of you in any way to toss one of your standards down onto the ground or hold it out so that we may see it. I fail to see why you cannot offer that, as it would completely end this stand-off. The only reason I can fathom is that you are bandits yourselves." Edmund hobbles back all the way in, letting Hermann take point.


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)
Ariella Hearth wrote:
Bowled over by Hermann, Ariella grunts softly.

While... rough around the edges, say, and occasionally coarse, he's no oaf, and wouldn't dare "bowl" Lady Ariella over. :)


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

Jonas keeps close to his sister. "They aren't wicked that I can tell."

Stepping outside the door with Hermann Jonas continued to look for some sign that they were who they claimed.

"Now about that proof you mentioned?"


Half-elf hp=38/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

The woodsman tosses his greataxe on the ground as he exits with his slung bow and two worg pelts.
"We are here. Excuse me if we are less than trusting, we were just ambushed by evil worgs who could talk like humans."


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 9/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

Not having had time to put on her armor, Ariella hangs back behind those who were on watch, or who sleep in their armor.

The suspense is killing me! Are they lying or not?


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

I am now the hiding frog. I certainly don't trust them.


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

Me either, but you know...paladin. Sigh.

In case it matters, Jonas is completely expecting to be double crossed. Readied action, Full Defense.


You come outside ready for anything. Except the MAN-FROG who hides inside. All of the men outside tense up but then settle down as the leader approaches. He puts away his weapon and pulls out a letter and gives it to Jonas to read. Jonas reads it and it confirms that they are sent by the king to patrol the area, mainly the roads.

The leader of the men, Sheriff Colston tells you that a merchant caravan was attacked on the road by wolves led by worgs and they had been tracking them. He is genuinely impressed over your victory.

He also apologizes for the heavy handed way they came at the party, but the bandits in the area are very crafty and have posed as adventurers or merchants to gain the upper hand.

He says he'll pass the word around to other patrols about your group, your descriptions and names, but says they will tend to be cautious as should you.

Sorry about this taking so long. Been a little under the weather and on call this week and had a major issue yesterday


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Once it seems that this is going to end peacefully, I will also step out unarmed.

I apologize for the delay. But as my companions explained, we have already been tricked once today and I felt caution the best option should my companions need any saving.

Qui the reaches his small green hand up as far as it will go: Quirmydt Dephroug, knight in service of the Dawnflower at your service.


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

Jonas takes his time reading the letter before passing it back.

"I understand. As my small friend says, we are sorry for the tension. I am Jonas Hearth of Saranrae, and this is my sister Ariella. The others with us are Jokbur and Edmund, as well as Hermann who introduced himself when he came outside."

"One of the Wargs escaped us. It disappeared into the trees there."


AC 10 (T 10 FF 10); Maximum HP: 42; Current HP: 42 F +5, R +6, W +10

Edmund is honestly relieved, though a little irritated as well.

"Captain, sir, no one here doubts the need for you and your men to be cautious, but there are honest folk about, and a simple, visible sign would have gone a long way towards avoiding any misunderstanding. That being said, we are grateful that you will pass on our descriptions so that this may be avoided in the future."

As he turns to hobble inside, a thought hits him. He casts a spell to make a glowing humanoid shape that produces light. "Perhaps you could help me, though. Do you remember seeing this young man during any of your patrols?"

He shows the guard the picture of his son, easily visible in the light of the spell.


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

"Well Sheriff Colston, it's late at night - I don't suppose you folks were planning on making camp here as well? The more eyes to keep watch for them worgs, the safer in our sleep we'll all be," offers Hermann, who'd taken the Sheriff's actions in stride.


To Edmund:

"At night we travel without any fanfare and in the darkest gear we have. Bandits or worse can see us better in our normal attire when we travel the roads."

To Edmund's question about his son, he doesn't but passes it around and one of the footmen does, "He was an adventurer. Nice guy, he was in Zelkor's Ferry on one of our stops and had a drink with him. Haven't seen him for a bit I am afraid. That tends to happen a lot."

To Hermann:

"We must keep moving, the worg will probably hole up somewhere now that he has sole control of the pack, he might even try to grow it some. You did an amazing job surviving the attack, but be warned that the worgs take it personally and will be back again for revenge. Thanks for pointing out which way they went, and hopefully we will meet each other again and be able to spend more time"


Half-elf hp=38/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

Jokbur speaks, "Well, you veterans know, grab sleep when you can."

I have noticed it is a universal trait of good soldiers of every country.

Jokbur, done with his shift, drags his worg pelts inside and hangs them up to finish drying. He curls up in his bedroll and is fast asleep.


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 9/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

"Well, that was lucky. The Everlight has blessed us this night. I'm off to sleep, see you in the morning." Ariella says smiling. She returns quickly to rest, so that she can fully recover he magics in the morning.


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

Jonas sets himself against the wall to finish out the watch, looking out the doorway past the fire and praying quietly to the flames.


Map almost finished, First steps into the Mouth of Doom about to begin!


The rest of your night goes without interruption. After an early morning breakfast you decide to head out to the Mouth of Doom. After an hour of traveling you come upon the hilly area and you quickly see your destination.

The Mouth of Doom is a huge, stone demon face (the visage is that of Orcus) carved into the side of the hill. Its open mouth is ten feet tall; within the gaping stone maw, stairs of black stone lead downward.

Assuming you don't back out now and return back to Zelkor's Ferry screaming....

Black stone stairs lead down to this room from the entrance above in a staircase that you estimate has taken you about forty feet underground. The room at the bottom of the staircase has six doors leading out, each one set into the far end of a ten-foot-by-ten-foot alcove in the wall. There is a faint smell of old rot in the air, like a graveyard, and your torches gutter slightly in the stale air.

Atop each alcove except the north there is something carved into the stone.

North-East In the stone over the top of this alcove, there is a carving of a goat’s face, with curling horns, narrowed eyes and small fangs visible at the corners of its mouth.

South-East There is a skull carved into the stone over the top of this alcove.

South There is a pentacle carved in the stone over the top of this alcove.

South-West There is a carving of a hand over the top of this alcove.

North-West There is a wolf’s head carved into the stone above this alcove. A portcullis is blocking the alcove beyond

North Nothing is carved above the alcove, but when you get within 10 feet a mouth appears where the carvings appear on the other alcoves and syays in a sinister voice, "“You stand at the threshold of the Rappan Athuk, the Dungeon of Graves. Turn back, trespassers, for you will find nothing but your death in these dark halls.”. After it is done speaking the mouth melts back into the stone.

Knowledge (arcana) DC 21:
Magic Mouth spell.


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

"Oh. Well since the melodramatic talking wall says we should leave, we might as well pack it up, don't you think?" Jonas says with a flat tone that belies the humor of his words.

"That one is definitely demonic." he says pointing to the goat's head. "And that one has to do with witchcraft." moving to the pentacle.

"The rest of these could mean many things. We might as well roll a dice to pick."


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 9/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

Ariella laughs a bit at the speech. "Yeah, melodramatic is the exact word that just came to mind. Although, I guess since it's true it's not really that funny. I think the hand seems least threatening of all of them. Unless it's filled with vampire monks or something...Oh dear." she mutters looking a bit concerned. "Are any of us capable of checking for traps?"


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Qui shakes his head: No, I have training in many areas, but the Dawnflower never taught me the art of breaking and entering. Although I can clearly new see why it may be of service to her.


AC 10 (T 10 FF 10); Maximum HP: 42; Current HP: 42 F +5, R +6, W +10

Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Edmund shrugs at the strange mouth. "Weird."

He looks about the room, checking for signs of stability.
Knowledge Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26


Half-elf hp=38/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

"Well, after being warned, if we didn't fully look before leaping we would have only ourselves to blame. If I can't see it, it is not there. This may take a while, you may want to take a water break while I do this."
Jokbur looks carefully around and into each alcove at the threshold, then carefully at the door at the back of each alcove.
12 x perception rolls - taking 20 = 36 (37 for traps)


Which one do you want to start with?

251 to 300 of 3,070 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Blood's Rappan Athuk (PF) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.