Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

GM Blood's Rappan Athuk (PF)

Game Master David James Olsen

Current Map


1 to 50 of 2,998 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Welcome everyone who was chosen. Please dot here to get yourself in the campaign!


AC 12 (T 12 FF 11); Maximum HP: 24; Current HP: 24 F +4, R +3, W +6

Dot.


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

The pale-skinned figure arrives on scene in a battered suit of leather armor and woodlands garb. His eyes dart around, missing nothing.

"Name's Jokbur, but they call me 'the Thorn'."


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

dot. full post to come later


AC 12 (T 12 FF 11); Maximum HP: 24; Current HP: 24 F +4, R +3, W +6

Edmund Gwenn's arrival in town occasions a bit of comment from the locals. Most outsiders are either merchants looking to sell their wares, or else adventurers looking to find their fortunes in Rappan Athuk. Edmund looked like neither sort.

A man of medium height and build and getting on in years, he looked the sort to be playing dominoes in front of a tavern fire or dangling grandchildren from his knee. His clothes certainly looked the part of a traveler: stout wool and tweed, stained from dust and worn at the hem. His face is ruddy and lined, white hair pokes out either saide of his countryman's cap, and a fluffy white beard covers his chin. Small spectacles dangle from a thin chain around his neck, and he carries a decorative cane of black wood with a silver swan handle, seemingly more for show than anything, though he does lean upon it somewhat and limps slightly over the rutted village road. In every respect, the picture of a gentleman shopkeeper, just missing his shop, save for the crossbow strapped to his back.

Edmund stops outside Bristleback's Inn, his ruddy grin slipping slightly as he takes in the dilapidated building. Taking a deep breath, he pushes open the door and steps inside, peering about the gloomy interior. He settles with a sigh into an empty chair and removes one of his boots. As he leans over to rub an aching foot, a woman's weary voice intones from above, "What can I getcha, gramps?"

Edmund pops up, startled. "Oh, my dear! Why, thank you. I should like a mug of ale, chilled if possible and some food. How is the local stew?"

The serving wench looks at him a moment. "It's stew, and if you want yer ale chilled, wait till winter."

"Right," Edmund replies. "Stew and warm ale it is. With some bread, if you would be so kind. And a room, as well."

He resumes rubbing his tired foot, depositing his coin for the food and lodging when the woman returns.

"Please, my dear, another moment of your time. I'm looking for someone, a young man about your age. I have this sketch. Do you know him?"

Edmund shows her a sketch of his son and gazes up at her, hopeful.


Here is an example of the greeting you all get when arriving

“Welcome to Zelkor’s Ferry. I hope the captain didn’t question you too hard at the gate. You may be a person bent on finding an adventure, but you don’t look like a troublemaker to me.” The woman’s blue eyes seem to twinkle as she smiles at you. Her light brown hair is beginning to show some grey, but her arms look strong where she has pushed up the sleeves of her brown dress. “If it’s adventure you want, let me tell you, you’ve come to the right place. Although we hold our own here, this area can by no means be considered safe and there’s plenty for a brave soul to find and do.

“I’m Amelia, and my husband and I are the proprietors of Bristleback Inn. It’s been in my husband’s family for several generations.” She leads you into the building’s common room and continues. “A room with your board is one gold piece a night… Thank you very much. The stable is just next door and stabling for a horse or mule is one silver piece. Anything more exotic than that and you’ll have to ask Bristleback; we own the stable, too. The two fellows out there, Vort and Igor, are both decent folk and will take good care of any of your animals.”

Amelia turns to survey the room, and you take a look around also. The inn’s low-ceilinged common room is really nothing special, but out here
so far from civilization it seems to have all the comforts of home. The
tables are well-worn, but also well-scrubbed. In fact, a teen-aged girl with hair the color of honey is engaged in scrubbing one right now. The slender girl looks up and flashes a shy smile when she sees you looking at her, and then goes back to her work.

The shutters are open to let in some fresh air, and at the far end of the room a small fire burns in the fireplace as an old man snoozes in a chair nearby. Lamps are set into brackets high on the walls, to provide the most light in the evenings and also keep them out of the way of clumsy patrons.

The bar is on the other side of you, before the stairs; it is supplied with a couple of kegs, and a row of pottery mugs hung on pegs on the wall. The treads on the stairs are worn in the centers, and you can see that anyone of much height will need to duck on the way up to avoid an inconvenient beam.

Amelia gives one last satisfied look at the room, then turns to you. “I need to get back to my duties. The privies are around back to the left; the kitchen garden is to the right. If you end up around that way by mistake, watch your step because I don’t want anyone trampling on my garden. You ought to take a look around and chat with some of the people here; I’m sure several of them have things to tell you about their own experiences in this area, things that might help keep you alive when you head out looking for your destiny.” With that parting remark, Amelia also disappears through the door to the kitchen and leaves you alone.


Edmund Gwenn wrote:
"Please, my dear, another moment of your time. I'm looking for someone, a young man about your age. I have this sketch. Do you know him?"Edmund shows her a sketch of his son and gazes up at her, hopeful.

The young girl Ysbel looks at the picture and with a sad look says, "I remember he was here some time back. Was going with a group to the Mouth of Doom to the south. Haven't seen him since. Could be they changed their mind however and left, I've seen pretty brave men and women change their mind all the time."


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

As the door swings open the patrons look out and see . . . nothing, until they look down and see a rather unusual sight. There before the door is a rather large frog, actually it is a small person standing slightly under two feet tall, who looks like a frog. Unlike most frogs though, he is wearing studded leather armor and at his side swings a short and sharp scimitar. Emblazoned across his chest is the crest of the Dawnflower.

Qui waits a moment, this is not an unusual reception, few outside of the jungles far to the south have ever heard of a Quippli, let alone ever seen or met one. Once the initial surprise has passed, Qui walks in allowing the well oiled door to swing shut behind him. He then moves up the the bar and quickly scales a stool upon which he stands having long since discovered that except for the rare halfling run establishment, most taverns lack seats for one of his stature.

Qui looks around the room for a moment and when the Amelia arrives, he greets her with a smile. Thank you good lady. I would not mind some water and perhaps some vegetables or vegetable stew. While I can eat most of the food you big folk like, I have never learned to really enjoy meat other than fish and the like.

Qui then returns to scaning the room wondering who among the crowd is planning on exploring the caverns and dungeons, and who is leaving having found that the adventure was more than they were prepared for.


AC 12 (T 12 FF 11); Maximum HP: 24; Current HP: 24 F +4, R +3, W +6

"Thank you, my dear," Edmund says, carefully folding the portrait and returning it to his waistcoat.

He tucks into his meal with not much gusto, though he assures all that it is delicious, and turns with everybody else to watch the strange frogman enter the tavern.


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

From the shadows cast by the flickering fireplace, the slight, pale, elfin figure rises and looks at the frog showing the colors of the Dawnflower. He carefully examines the older man with the crossbow.

Obviously more at home in the shadows of the fire, the figure decked in woodland garb motions for some food. As the serving lady comes over, he reluctantly parts with a silver piece.

Wordlessly observing the exchanges between the patrons, the pale elf returns to his task. Closer observation shows he is drawing a crude map of the local area with a fine hand on a thin piece of parchment. He smiles and glances at the newcomer, his eyes giving a silent challenge to sit at the seat beside him.


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

Jonas sat in front of the fireplace, staring into it, lost in thought. He was a lanky, fiery-haired youth who looked like he'd seen a lot of sun. He was one of those lucky redheads that tanned instead of freckled.

He'd been here for two days gathering information on the place teh locals called the "Mouth of Doom", and so far he was a little discouraged at their attitude towards him and Rappan Athuk itself.

They seemed to treat the place as something of a natural disaster. Simple-folk elsewhere might shrug at the loss of two travelers caught in a blizzard. Here, it was that damned dungeon. "Lost three more in the Mouth", "Damned shame", they'd say and go on with their day.

He'd never been one to simply accept terrible things as a matter of course. Something needed to be done.

The problem was, he was headstrong but he was smart enough to know it. He needed someone to help keep him in check. When he was growing up that had been his sister, but after her falling out with Mother he'd been on his own.

This inn was full of odds and ends all with some interest in that forsaken place. Most of them seemed to be here for coin or glory. They didn't interest him as companions. He needed folk that believed.


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

Didn't know Gameplay was up!

A tall, muscular, and slightly scarred man wearing fine but travel-stained clothes and obviously well-used arms and armor enters the Bristleback Inn, and as true to his bold appearance he belts out a greeting, "Good afternoon, fellow travelers! Innkeep, two pints of ale if you please!"

Intent stated, he sits at the bar next to the frog-man. While waiting for his request to be filled, he offers a large, meaty hand as if to shake hands and asks, "I'm Hermann. I've never seen any of your folk before. Where are you from?"


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

Also just realized gameplay was up.

Ariella walks through the door to the Bristleback Inn with a look of relief on her face. Finally made it, hope he's still here... She's a beautiful woman, tall as most men and slender. Her hair is the color of melted chocolate. It flows in gentle curls down to the middle of her back. It's currently tied into a pony tail with a yellow ribbon. Her copper-tanned aquiline features are crowned by a tiara bearing the angelic ankh of Sarenrae. She's wearing a breastplate over pale lavender mud-stained vestments. On her back is a round wooden shield and an unstrung longbow. At her hip rests a scimitar in a well worn leather scabbard.

She takes in the room in a single long glance, which stops immediately when it reaches Jonas. "Jonas!" she exclaims, rushing over to him. She grabs him up in a great bear hug. "I'm so glad I didn't miss you!" she says, smiling radiantly while examining him at arms length. "How long has it been now brother? Two years at least..." Realizing that she's babbling, she simply returns to hugging him.


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Qui looks up at the tall human and offers his small hand in what he assumes is the greeting in these parts.

I am Quirmydt, but please call me Qui. I am from the jungles far to the south. But, it is the evil that infests these parts that have brought me here.


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

"Ha! I thought I'd traveled, but you've got me beat there, friend Qui! I assume you're referring to Rappan Athuk? Aye, me, too, though I'm here for one murdering, rat-bastard necromancer in particular. He killed my entire company: a lifetime of friends, to say nothing of the gold I spent like water to make 'em the best damn outfit in all the kingdoms in the land. The worst of it's that I twice had the chance to break that gods-damned neck and he got away both times. Not a third, I say! By all the gods of good, I'll yet feel his bones grind in my hand and feed his corpse to the fire!"

As his diatribe proceeded, Hermann's voice and gestures became increasingly voluble and agitated - at one point his large fist pounded down into his other palm in a crack like a lance impacting a shield.

Realizing he'd gotten carried away, he sheepishly apologized to the small crowd of patrons and workers, "Sorry for that, folks."

Turning back to the bar, he at last received his two pints of ale. Gulping one of them down in its entirety, he quietly adds in a low voice, "It ain't right, seein' all my friends die... torn apart by the walking dead and eaten wherever they fell."

He takes a regular-sized drink from the second glass and sits quietly, lost in bloody memory.


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Qui listens quietly than stands up taller, while still on the stool, and reaches out and pats the tall human's shoulder. Worry not. The Dawnflower abhors undead. She will guide you to your retribution and see that this raiser of the dead is justly dealt with.


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

From the shadows..."I can find them, I can track them, but I need help putting them down." The pale figure returns to his map.


At Hermann's outburst, the old man near the fireplace snorts awake. He looks over at you and says ,“So yer interested in an fighting evil, eh?” Pappy begins. “I can tell ye something about that. I’m a bit dry though; bring me a beer, if ye’d be so kind, girlie.” He passes his mug to Ysbel, who shakes her head at him, smiling.

He uses his arms to straighten himself in his seat and squirms back and forth a little bit to get more comfortable. When the six of you step closer, you see a pair of crutches lying next to him and note that he has a peg on his right leg. At a second glance, though, you realize that his other leg isn’t folded underneath him; it’s missing completely, cut off at mid-thigh. A small lute lies along the left side of his chair, and one of the pottery mugs stands close by on his right, placed on the broad hearth surrounding the fireplace.

“Did ye know that we’ve a dungeon practically in sight of our watchtowers? The Mouth of Doom, they call it, out in the middle of the forest to the south of us. Oh, my friends and I found it right enough, nigh onto fifty years ago now. I suppose it was a nice enough little dungeon, and it gave us a thrill or two, but it was nothing compared to the granddaddy of all dungeons!”

Pappy's Story:

Pappy’s voice is raised, and he shakes his fist in the air. “Rappan Athuk – now that was a dungeon! My friends and I were well known at one time, though not the stuff of bards’ tales. We were powerful, and we made our presence felt. We fought malicious specters down there, and nasty creatures with big mouths that lived in heaps of trash. We battled an undead king to a standstill, though there were no winners that day and both sides crept away to lick our wounds. In fact, we got further below that dungeon than anyone else I’ve ever known. You wouldn’t know it to look at me now but I was a powerful wizard once, back before I lost my legs – and half my mind.”

Ysbel returns just then with the mug of Ale. Pappy takes a small sip, then downs a larger swallow with a grimace and sets the mug carefully on the hearth. Ysbel takes up her scrubbing again at the other end of the room but appears to be listening in to Pappy’s story as well.

“We weren’t about to just waltz in the front door, so we found ourselves a different entrance. It wasn’t easy going, but we got right down into the thick of things without those fiends being aware. Once down we had some trouble finding our way around; there was a confusion of low tunnels, and the darkness was so thick our lights barely allowed us to see. We followed a winding river through several caverns; one was filled with spiders, undead creatures, and nasty trolls, which was where we lost Sister Gabriola. Another cavern had a purple worm the size of a small village. To this day I think we could have just walked away quietly from the creature, but ye might know that our rogue Renfrew couldn’t leave well enough alone! He was the first one poisoned, and by the time we could pull away and tend to him, he was already dead,” Pappy says as he shakes his head. “The levels of the dungeon proper may be made of worked stone, but down deep, where we were, it was all natural caverns. There was one especially huge one, where the ceiling was lost high above us and our lights made little bubbles of brightness in the great dark. In that situation, ye know there are always beings watching you, usually to yer hurt. While we were there we fought the most vile creature I have ever seen.” Pappy’s eyes narrow, as if envisioning his opponent of years past. “Out of the darkness floated this giant mass, as large as I was tall and covered in eyeballs and mouths. It turned out those eyes shot out beams of magic like those from wands! We fought like demons ourselves, I can tell ye. Our knight got up close to try to stab it with his greatsword, and discovered all those mouths were full of sharp teeth. I tried several of my specialties on it, only to realize it was more than a match for me; ye may imagine my shock when it took some of my own spells from me! We had to get cunning, especially when it tried to run away after we injured it. We finally defeated it, though, and found the treasures it had taken from other hapless victims. I recall the battle fondly now, as one of the last times I was able to use my most powerful spells and keen intelligence before something in that vile place diminished them forever."

“Many of us were injured at that point and ye can be certain it was hard to find a safe place to rest and heal. We thought we had found a place, isolated at one side of the cavern, but we were wrong. That quiet corner turned out to be guarded by huge metal statues of bulls which came alive when we got close. They put out a gas that turned my companions to stone, some temporarily but some permanently. I myself was affected for a time. The stone effect wore off but before I could recover myself one of the bulls trampled me, breaking both my legs. Sir Marlett and the elf Daresiel had both been turned to stone and the bulls trampled them also, breaking up their bodies so we had no hope of recovering them.” Pappy shakes his head again. “My remaining two companions got meself and our badly wounded dwarf out of there, and patched me up well enough that I could use my emergency scroll to take us out of that foul pit completely. We ended up back at our camp in the forest, though, and without our two healers the others managed to save my life, but not my legs. At that I suppose I’m better off than Gulim, who died of his wounds."

“One thing we never did locate was the evil temple everyone claims is there. I think somehow we passed it by and went straight to the caverns that lie below it. I don’t remember everything that happened to us beneath that twisted temple, though parts of it still give me nightmares. The worst was that even after we left, the reek of its evil continued to work on my mind and body and gradually stole my strength, my health, and most of all my intellect. I eventually learned to mend shoes, and other things I could do without need of my legs, but these days I just play a few tunes on my little lute and dream about striding through the forest in days gone by, wishing I had never heard of that accursed place.”

Pappy stops to stretch out his leg, and begins to absently rub his left thigh. “If ye be wanting to explore that foul dungeon, allow me to offer ye some pieces of advice. Now, any group wanting to explore the depths of Rappan Athuk is going to need rope, and lots of it. Ye don’t find easy stairs leading from one area to another; no, it’s down sheer drops and over rocky cliffs – and then of course it’s all to do again in reverse if ye ever want to get out. I know what yer thinking,” Pappy’s voice changes, becoming higher and slightly whiny. “What about the wizard? Can’t he just fly us all down?” He clears his throat and resumes his normal tone. “Well, to be sure he can, if ye want him to use up all his spells and have nothing left to use in a fight when ye get to the bottom. It’s better to use mundane means wherever possible and save the magicks for when ye need them most. We used our rope skills several times in difficult situations. Once we had to climb down a cliff as rats were trying to gnaw our lines!"

“Another thing ye need of course is lots of light sources. Torches won’t make it, either, though it might be okay to have a few if yer in a pinch. No, ye need some source that lets ye keep both hands free! It’s no good trying to climb down that rope I mentioned a bit ago with a torch in hand – that’s a good way to take a long fall. ’Twon’t do to just carry it in yer teeth, either, as the rogue Renfrew once tried. He thought he was so clever, and so much more nimble than the rest of us – until he caught his hair on fire.” Pappy’s speech slows slightly as he reminisces. “We called him Renfrew the Red after that; I don’t think his hair would ever have grown back, even if he had lived.”

Pappy reaches for his mug and takes another drink, then sets it back down. “I’m afraid I’m worn out with all this talkin’. Though it’s nice to have an audience, I don’t usually talk this much in a week. Thank ye for listening to my adventures, but I’m in need of a little rest now.” The old man settles himself in his chair, then leans his head on one hand and his eyes drift closed. You start to turn away when you hear him mumble softly, “And whatever ye do, don’t go down the well.” You raise your eyebrows at this one last piece of advice and then walk out into the fresh air.


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

"Hlurmph!" Jonas grunted as he was blindsided. Surprise turned to elation once he'd figured out who he found himself tangled up with.

"Ari! How did? Who? What are you- I mean, hi!" he hugged her back fiercely with a huge grin on his face. Finally pulling back to look at her he looked a little concerned. "Dad didn't send you did he? I'm not going to be talked out of this."


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

Ariella releases Jonas from her hug and replies, "Mom and dad told me what you were planning in a Sending. They knew I wouldn't let you run off by yourself. Besides, you're certain to need a proper cleric down there." At Hermann's outburst and the ensuing commotion she turns to listen to Pappy as he spins his harrowing tale. Her eyes grow wider at each new description of the monsters and dangers that await them. Her gaze drifts during the tale, taking in the little frog wearing the armor of her Goddess, the large human warrior and the half-elf. After the Pappy finishes his story she approaches Qui, crouching down in front of him and offering her hand. "Greetings little one. My name is Ariella, I see you bear the symbol of the Dawnflower. My brother and I are also her servants." she says indicating herself and Jonas. "Are you here to get yourself killed in that horrible pit we just heard about too?" she asks him playfully, clearly joking.


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

When Pappy begins telling his tale, Hermann's attention shifts rapidly from the past to the present.

The Mouth of Doom; I've heard of it. Good to know rumor was right on that one, that we can get to the great dungeon through there. Who knows how much else the old man's remembering accurately, but I think I believe him when he says it may be an easier approach to the lower levels. I don't know where that fink Horus might be, but the kind of magic he was wielding tells me he ain't going to make it easy on me and come knocking on the door here any time soon.

Looking around the Inn, he sees what seem like a brother and sister hugging in greeting. She's right pretty... but I ain't here for taking the lasses out for a tumble even if they weren't watched over by a overzealous younger brother all full of piss and vinegar.

The person sitting in the back corner was intriguing between what seemed like a tentative offer to help as well as drawing a map. Useful skill, drawing a map. Too bad I'm s$$! at it, but someone with skill could be worth their weight in silver.

Hermann skipped over the old man: surely the old geezer had no interest in going into dungeons. On the other hand, maybe he's a wizard: all wizards are old geezers that smell of moldy old books. Be good for 'em to get out in the world.


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

As Ariella come over, Qui smiles back at her: Yes, I have devoted my life to the service of the Dawnflower. A priestess of Sarenrae saved me and they taught me to fight those much larger. Now I seek to learn to combat evil so that some day I may return to my home and teach a lesson to the boggards who destroyed my village and ate my family.


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

"I see, Sir...? You'll forgive if I don't share my life's story." she says. Then smiles before continuing, "After all, we did just meet. I'm sorry to hear about your family, that sounds like a terrible tragedy. Perhaps you could join my brother and I in combating the evil in these parts. Another ray of Sarenrae's glorious light is always welcome." She glances over at Pappy's severed legs, "It sounds like there's plenty of evil to fight."


AC 12 (T 12 FF 11); Maximum HP: 24; Current HP: 24 F +4, R +3, W +6

The older man with the crossbow listens to the story intently, taking notes in a leather-bound journal as fast as he can write. When the old man had finished, he had half stood, already pulling a folded piece of paper from his waistcoat, but then, seeing as the old codger had fallen asleep, puts the paper back with a sigh.

He returns to his stew with even less enthusiasm than before, his whole demeanour is sadness.


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

The pale, slight elfish figure stands and carefully puts his drawing supplies in a belt pouch, obviously undaunted by the story. "Obviously the Mouth of Doom will provide a start to buy the serious equipment needed for the grandaddy of all dungeons. I think I can guide a group there on the morrow."

As he looks at the group each in turn, when Jokbur's eyes linger on you, he gives a silent nod of approval. Edmund is the exception, he also speaks to the older man, "If he's there, we'll find 'im. It is what a father should do."

"Well, we gonna do this?"


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

Relaxedly observing Qui make acquaintance with the woman and her brother, he perks up when she mentions joining together.

"I ain't religious at all, miss, but I gotta agree with your church's stand on destroying evil. If you're heading out to do just that, I'd be more than happy to go with," the big man offered. "Hermann von Rabenstrange, Captain and last member of the Bears of Iron company, at your service, priestess," he introduced himself formally.

EDIT:

I appear to be somewhat ninja'd by Jokbur. Oh, well.

"Yes, master tracker, I'm going to do this. I'm curious about what equipment'll be needed, though. I've fought countless battles against men above ground, but going underground is far beyond my experience."


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

Ariella smiles and nods to the gathering group before turning back to Jonas. She steps up close to him and whispers in his ear "Would you be so kind as to check their hearts for hidden darkness? You always were better at such things."


A merchant from one of the boats passing through comes over to you six and says "Well if you are all planning on going out tomorrow, I'll buy you each a drink. Its a tradition of mine whenever I pass through here. I figure to do something nice for you before no one ever sees you again." With that he sits back down and returns to his dinner.


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

After a half a minute spent sweeping his gaze over the various patrons and Jonas smiled to his sister and shook his head.


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

The quiet half-elf nods as he accepts his drink and warms it by the fire.
He is wrong.
Looking at Jonas and Hermann, "When stealth fails me and leather armor isn't enough, I'll be retreating to you."
Pointing to his hammer, "You'll need sometin to bash for the skellies."


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

Having been unexpectedly included in the formation of an expedition, Jonas looks at the others a second time, encouraged by what he saw, and then looked to his sister again.

"The Goddess provides. First you, then a group of like-minded others."


Jonas Hearth wrote:
"The Goddess provides. First you, then a group of like-minded others."

A man laughs at Jonas's words, "She provides this most days. People come here all the time for the same thing as you."


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

Qui turns and stares at the man: Perhaps, but unlike those you have seen previously, we shall return. This evil has infested the land beyond your good town for too long. It is time to end this abomination.


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

"I am sure others have said that before." Jonas said to the small frog-man.

"Speaking with them on the matter is most likely pointless. Our actions will have to do our talking for us."


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

Grinning at Jonas' nod of approval, Ariella turns back to the others. "It seems we have the making of a good team here. Two large warriors, and one small. A priestess and a guide. All we lack is one skilled in the arcane arts." Her eyes search the bar, looking for any more possible recruits. They find Edmund poking morosely at his stew. Ariella glides over to his table, and laying a hand on his shoulder says "Excuse me sir, my name's Ariella. Who might you be?"


AC 12 (T 12 FF 11); Maximum HP: 24; Current HP: 24 F +4, R +3, W +6

The man looks up. Seeing Ariella, he quickly rises to his feet, gesturing for her to have a seat in the empty chair. Only once she's seated does he resume his seat, his stew forgotten.

"Edmund Gwenn, my dear. I have come to Zelkor's Ferry in search of my son. I fear he has gone into the dungeons in the wilderness and not returned. All that remains is to go in and discover what...what cruel fate befell him. I would accompany you, if you don't think an old man would hinder you too much. I do have certain skills to aid your quest."

He casts a spell and his bowl of stew begins to float in the air between the two adventurers, spinning slowly, before settling back down. A fire that had been dormant before burns in the old man's eyes now.


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

"I don't know how flush you gentlemen and ladies are."

Jokbur holds up a set of thieves tools.

"The good ones with deluxe accessories are 100gp. Could be the difference in a door or chest opening. Otherwise, I am ready to go."

As they say in the Westerns, let's ride :-)


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

Ariella titters softly, "Oh how delightful! You're an arcanist. I'd gladly help you find your son sir. You would be a valuable addition to our little group I think." she says taking his hand and giving him the full effect of her warm ever present smile.


AC 12 (T 12 FF 11); Maximum HP: 24; Current HP: 24 F +4, R +3, W +6

"You flatter me, my dear, but to good effect," Edmund offers her a small smile. He returns to his stew, finishing it with a bit more life to him, and comes over to join the rest of the group, nodding to all and introducing himself as Edmund.


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

At Jokbur's subtle inquiry towards borrowing cash for better lockpicks, Hermann shakes his head.

"Sorry, friend, that's far beyond what I can afford right now. If this 'Mouth of Doom' is what they say it is, we should be able to get you some better tools soon."

Hermann looks seriously at Jonas, Jokbur, and Qui, gauging their weapons, armor, and bearing. "When it comes to fighting, what are you all good at? I've been pushing pike, among other things, since you," he nods at Jonas, "were in diapers, I'd wager. You've got good armor - better than mine, and certainly prettier - but I don't see the marks of war on it. Or you, for that matter. It's good to see you've a crossbow, though: too many of you knightly types disdain any kind of archery - which only gets 'em killed. So long as we stick together, we should make out alright. We're the heavies of the outfit: we hold the line, stop the charge, and hold the enemy back. If we get split up, it'll be all our deaths as sure as spit."

"Jokbur, you've the look of a scout - and one as has seen the wolf. Like you said a minute ago, when it's time for bared steel you'll be best behind us to help in case of trouble. I'm thinking as you and Qui'll be good to cover each other's backs when the time comes."

Hermann waits for his fellow combatants thoughts on his proposed tactics.


Ysbel comes over and looks at you six and says, "One of the groups to come through here last year and explored a bit around the area before going to the Mouth of Doom. They left a rough map behind that may be of use to you. The last place they were going to explore before heading into the Mouth of Doom was the area of forest between the two rivers. They didn't come back from there so be careful if you find yourself out there. If you are only going to the Mouth of Doom it is said to follow the river south until you get to the old cottage then head southeast to the Mouth."

Map of the Wilderness area around Zelkor's Ferry

Link added to campaign tab as well.


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

Ariella stands back up and says, "Maybe we should explore the region above ground first. Get our feet wet before diving into our doom. I'm sure there are plenty of monsters to kill, and it would serve us well to become accustomed to each other's styles before heading on to the big stuff."


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

Jokbur will price a quality skinning knife and mention:"I spoke with the local outdoorsmen and asked them about the area 'round the ferry. They told me.."

The ranger pauses dramatically and tries to mimic the local dialect with rather disappointing results....."Bristleback buys bearskins and panther skins for 50 gp, and wolf pelts for 20 each. If you bring back a whole bear, the meat’s worth 10 gp to you as well. Wild boars aren’t worth anything though."

"We can turn a run in with some nasty woodland creatures into a profit. But looking for bears a purpose......"
He shakes his head and scowls showing his views on bearhunting.

Perform 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7


HP 29/34, AC 23, CMD 18, Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +8, Smite 1/1, AoO 5/5, LoH 4/6

Looking at the map, Jonas seems confused. "What's the scale here? How far does an inch represent?"


Male Grippli (we do it froggy style) Bard(Dawnflower Dervish)/1 - Monk(Monk of Many Styles/Monk of the Lotus)/2- Fighter(Lore Warden)/1 - Inquisitor(Conversion Inquisition)/0 - HP 27/44; AC22/26, FF17/21, T22/26; F+8,R+11,W+10; Init+7; Per+11

If we need to fight bears to train as a group, I have no problem with that. But, I am not here for profit. I am hear to learn to combat evil. It is the dungeons I seek and would prefer to be in them as soon as possible.


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

Hermann briefly looks at the map and grunts, "I thought I'd heard the Mouth of Doom is only a few hours - no more than a day - south of town by foot. If true, I expect that's the only scale on here."

"I agree with Qui: I ain't here to kill animals. Besides, animals don't fight like men and that's the kind of experience we'll be needing. Pappy here just said the Mouth was a comparatively easy dungeon, and with six of us to watch out for each other we should be able to pull through alright."


HP 22/29; Bat. Dance 10/13; Glitterdust 1/1; 1st - 3/4
Stats:
AC 21; T 14; FF 17 // Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +4 // Perception +5

What time of day is it?

"Well, lets go out and see what we can see. Fate might have it's own plans for us. We can head towards the mouth, and see what happens." Ariella says.


AC 12 (T 12 FF 11); Maximum HP: 24; Current HP: 24 F +4, R +3, W +6

"From what I've read about these dungeons, among the monster societies that live there, if you can call them that, the lower levels are the preferred 'real estate'. The stronger creatures take lower levels, displacing the weaker ones up, until they too get displaced. Of course, the bigger monsters will sometimes come topside to hunt for food."


Half-elf hp=28/38(AC18/ff16/t18) {F=+7/R=+8/W=+9} CMD 21 Ranger 1/Monk 3 Senses: Perception: +20 [+21 traps]/Sense Motive +14/Darkvision 60'

Jokbur nods and summarizes: "Consensus is head to the Mouth. We will pick no fights with creatures of the woods, but back down from none either."

The ranger adds: "I have been known to stand off a woodland creature or two with my animal magnetisn, but I end up fighten 'em more often than not. If ye see me in an alpha-male stare down, don't interfere till it goes bad. We should stick to the buddy system. Let's try: Qui with me, then Edmund and our pikeman, then the siblings."

After looking the grippli over carefully, Jokbur smiles and notes, "With your natural advantages, I will be the one slowing you down in the stealth department."


HP 41/41 | Per +0 | CMB +7 | CMD 20, AC 20, Touch 13, Flat 17 | Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (+1 vs Fear)

"Good thinking, Jokbur."

"Edmund, was it? Sorry 'bout your son; it seems like we're all of us here searching for someone or something to put a-right. When the time comes - you'll know when - just stay close so I can cover you."

1 to 50 of 2,998 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Blood's Rappan Athuk (PF) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.