Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

GM alientude's Shackled City

Game Master Kyle Smith 700

The frontier city of Cauldron has a dark future rapidly approaching. Will a disparate band of adventurers be able to save it?


1 to 50 of 1,108 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

It is a miserable autumn evening. A wretched drizzle falls from the ash-gray sky. The crowded, rain-slicked buildings seem especially bleak and frightful this evening, hunched together beneath the gloomy skies. A few lights burn in their windows, but mostly their shutters have been closed for the night. The scent of chimney smoke fills the air, and the din of water trundles from the rooftops, splashing into dark alleys and turning street gutters into rivulets.

Adolphus:
Lord Premiach Vanderboren sent you to Town Hall to deliver an important sealed message to the Lord Mayor’s office. As usual, it took over an hour of dealing with bureaucracy to complete your task, and evening is well under way by the time you finally handed the message to one of the Lord Mayor’s assistants (which one, you can’t remember – he’s got so many).

The night is yours. Perhaps a drink at the Drunken Morkoth Inn wouldn’t be amiss.

Darthal:
Another day searching through dusty, barely legible maps, and all for naught. Your eyes ache from the strain of reading faded scribbles, and you curse “progress” under your breath. Maps should be chiseled into stone. More durable, easier to read, and just a pleasure to work with. Not so with vellum. With a disgruntled sigh, you put the last of the maps away and leave Westkey’s Map Emporium. The rain drizzles down on you; a mug of coffee would help burn the chill away. Deacon’s is closed by now, but the Tipped Tavern brews a decent cup.

Diurn:
You’re walking counterclockwise down Magma Ave. Other people are scurrying past, attempting to get out of the gloomy weather quickly, but it suits your mood perfectly. Your mother is on your mind, or rather, how you can get past her shadow. You’re a young, strong man, eminently capable. Yet, your strange birth and mother’s fame are all anybody sees. If only there were a way to prove your own worth, to show that you can be even greater. Not that you want something bad to happen…but, well, maybe just a little bad, so that you can rush in and be the hero? That would be perfect.

Dorian:
As the rain drips down, you think over your most recent research. The Church of Iomedae had been most willing to allow you to access their library. They were very welcoming, and only briefly attempted to preach. Unfortunately, the library itself held little of interest to you; mostly religious texts and journals from high priests past. Still, one never knows when one will turn up an important book in an unlikely place. Regardless, you head back to the Drunken Morkoth, looking forward to a hot meal.

Dreygard:
You stumble out of the Slippery Eel Tavern, just a touch tipsy. Nothing a sturdy dwarf like yourself can’t handle, of course. Perhaps it was a little early in the evening, but that thought is a little too close to something your mother would say. Still, it might be best to head home. Clan Arduun doesn’t take kindly to agents that can’t control themselves.

Luc:
Skie smiles and says, “Come back anytime, Luc. I’m sorry I couldn’t help you, but I’ve had my fill of adventuring these days. I do so love the stories, though.”

As you leave Skie’s Treasury, you wonder if you’ll ever dig up any solid information about the Vanishing. Skie had seemed like the perfect person to ask – a gnome wizard who used to adventure. But although she was fascinated by your pistol, she knew nothing about what really happened in Jzadirune.

The chill, wet night makes you shiver, and you pull your cloak tighter. Enough of this fruitless search for the night, you decide. Time for a little fun. You turn to the northwest and head for the Drunken Morkoth.

Valamont:
You’ve spent the last few hours in the Drunken Morkoth, sipping on wine and discussing the day’s events with mother. A few people approached your table with friendly looks, but turned away for some odd reason before they sat down. It’s a crowded evening, but you feel a tinge of loneliness. Halpeen’s too busy to talk, and mother, while a good listener, doesn’t say much. A breath of fresh air might be nice, so after finishing your wine, you step outside.


A sudden, plaintive cry for help from a nearby alley splits the evening air.

Perception DC 5:
You hear the sounds of a scuffle and cursing coming from the same nearby alleyway.

Dreygard:
The cry for help comes from the alley to the south of you. The street is mostly empty of passersby. You see a human coming out of the Drunken Morkoth, and another one, finely dressed, has been walking down the street at much the same pace as yours.

Adolphus:
The cry for help comes from the alley just to the south of you. You've shared the street with a dwarf for the past few blocks, and to the south a half-elf that you recognize as Valamont Caine is just stepping out of the Drunken Morkoth

Valamont:
You've just stepped out of the Drunken Morkoth when you hear the cry for help. A dwarf and finely dressed human are walking in the direction of the Morkoth, and they both stop when they hear the cry. The human seems familiar, and at a closer look, you realize it is Sir Adolphus Ministhrien. You both share an affection for coffee, particularly the brew served at Deacon’s Daily Drip.

Darthal:
The Tipped Tankard is still a few blocks away when you hear the cry. You share the street with several other pedestrians. A golden-skinned man, heavily armored, walks in your general direction, a frown on his face. Another human, a strange metal device hanging from his belt, has walked in the same direction as you for a bit, and yet another human (this city’s certainly full of them) is on the opposite side of the street, dressed in robes.

Luc:
You’re nearly to the Drunken Morkoth when you hear the cry, emanating from the very alley you were planning on cutting through. Just ahead of you is a dwarf wearing a purple scarf, and walking the opposite way ahead are two men, one dressed in robes and the other heavily armored, a dour look on his face.

Diurn:
The cry for help perks your spirits. Could it be that Arshea heard the prayers of your heart and sent to you a chance? The alley is just around the corner. It seems a perfect time to prove yourself.

A man dressed in robes has been walking along the street at about the same pace as you; he seems to have noticed the cry as well. Ahead, you see a dwarf with a bright purple scarf and another human behind him.

Dorian:
Absorbed with your thoughts, you barely notice the cry, but it’s plaintive wail manages to cut through. Just a few feet from you is a heavily armored man with golden skin. Ahead, you see a dwarf wearing a purple scarf and another human behind him.

Map
As Tycho Brahe would say, Roll for initiative.


GM rolls:

1 - 1d20 ⇒ 8
2 - 1d20 ⇒ 9
3 - 1d20 ⇒ 13
RL - 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19
J (s) - 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31
J (i) - 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


hp 17/17 Temp 0 | NL 0 perception +5 (+6 traps)(+7 or +8 stonework) AC 14; TAC 12; FFAC 12; CMD 16 (20 vs bull rush and trip) F +2; R +5; W +1 (+3 vs spells, spell-like, poison)

F +2; R +4; W +1 (+3 vs spells, spell-like, poison)
AC 14; TAC 12; FFAC 12; CMD 15 (19 vs bull rush and trip)
hp 10/10 | Temp 0 | NL 0 perception +4 (+5 traps)

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

"Theeeeeeeeeyyyre once was a dwarf as silly as a horse,
He bumped his head on a filly that was coarse.
'Yo hi he' said the dwar--"
the singing dwarf halts his song at the sound of the scream.

"By Angradd's fiery beard what was that?"

Initiative 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


Male Dwarf Cave Druid 2

auto-makes the Perception check. Go druids!

The black-clad dwarf looks up with a start, his purple scarf twitching to reveal a long and well-groomed beard.

A cry for help? That shouldn't be happening in a well-run city. Cauldron isn't as organized or well-kept as a proper citadel, but Darthal hastens to the entrance of the alley and looks in anyway, ready to help himself or to raise the alarm if necessary. If it's only an argument over a bet he'll walk on by...

Darkvision helps.
Initiative roll: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Perception check to see what's going on: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Status:

AC 10 (no armor on a standard city day), hp 12/12, carrying dagger and sling but has not drawn either yet.


retired

You have already vaulted this pbp into my favorites category by kicking things off with a penny arcade reference. Nice =)

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 6

"Ho! What was that?!"
Valamont looks around for a moment, trying to determine the direction of the cry for help. He recognizes Adolphus as he narrows in on the alleyway.

"What's that, Mother? Yes, that's the friendly fellow from Deacon's. No, I'm not going to stop to tell him that you like his shirt. Why? Blast it, there's no time, that's why! Someone's in trouble!"
Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Valamont angles for the alleyway, nodding to Adolphus and his companion as he does so, "Hullo! Lovely night for a scuffle, no?"


M Human

Automakes the Perception check!

Damn, Skie, all nice and cheerful but c'mon, how can you not know anything about an enclave of your whole race of people disappearing! Another wasted day! Hopefully, Lady Luck will be with me at the tables tonight.

Luc pulled up his duster's collar, given the chilliness of the night, and lamented how his Stetson hat was getting soaked in the drizzle. Visual depiction of Luc

Luc chuckled when he saw the dwarf with the purple scarf. He mumbles to himself.."What's this city coming to?" The piercing scream jars him back to reality. Uh oh...Trouble!

Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Proposed Action:
Race toward the alley, drawing his musket pistol as he moves!


HP 15/18 AC 18/11/17 (19/12/17 when adjacent to 2 allies) F +4, R +1, W -1 (R +2 when adjacent to 2 allies)

dot...


HP 15/18 AC 18/11/17 (19/12/17 when adjacent to 2 allies) F +4, R +1, W -1 (R +2 when adjacent to 2 allies)

Sir Adolphus rushes from eave to eave on his way to the nearby Inn, anxious to not let his attire get damp from the falling water. At least he had brought his sword with him. He had training to do, as normal. When the cries pierced the sky he stilled, then rapidly drew his sword and responded with haste.

Initiative
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Move south 20 ft. (He's not armored as its unlikely that someone would wear full armor to do diplomatic tasks, but he did bring his sword as he intended to train more today).

Adolphus makes his way to the alley, prepared to give a severe dressing down to whoever was disturbing the peace.

"Stand and declare yourselves! Who disturbs the Peace of Cauldron?"

Intimidate
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Perception (10)
10 - 1 = 9


Perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Dorian returns "home" from his first full day spent in the city. Well, in a library in the city. He hadn't really expected to find any useful information so quickly, but the dreary weather only heightened his feeling of disappointment. Glancing at the cloudy sky, he speaks arcane words... just a simple prestidigitation spell to keep his clothes from getting too soaked.

After walking for a bit, he stops after hearing a faint cry for help, trying to figure out where it came from. The further sounds of a scuffle draw his attention to a nearby alleyway.

He turns to a man standing nearby, "Did you..." ... Is his skin gold? ... "Er... did you hear that? Sounded like someone needs help."

Initiative 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Aasimar (6/6 channel +ve, 7/7 ferocity, 7/7 adoration) Cleric 1 HP: 10/10 | CMD: 12 | AC: 18 (T: 11 / FF:17) | Fort +5 / Ref +1 / Will +8

Another day studying; yes deities and devices, that about sums up my studies. Some day I'll be ready for the call. Can't just walk around feeling sorry for myself. If I go home gloomy my mom will just smile and give me a pep talk which will just make me fell worse.

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 init

Diurn rushes quickly to aid the troubled. "What is wrong? I am coming."


Initiative Order:
Luc
Adolphus
Dreygard
Darthal
Valamont
Thug #3
Dorian
Thug #2
Thug #1
Diurn

Excuse the slightly rough nature of this...chalk it up to my newness as a PBP GM. I forgot to mention to post one action, as this was a surprise round. Since everybody posted that they intend to investigate the alley, I'm going to move everybody up so they can see within, having each person take a move action. If you disagree with this, please let me know.

You rush to the entrance to the alley and see four men within. Three of them are dressed in dark clothes, their faces painted half white, half black. One of these (#1) holds a short sword and is keeping an eye out towards the street. The other two are accosting the fourth man, who is dressed in clerical robes.

Stay away from the orphanage, you got that?" One of the thugs growls in the face of the cleric, holding him up against the wall while the other punches him in the gut. As you round the corner and come into view of the sentry, his eyes widen and he shouts to his partners, "We got trouble!"

Knowledge (local) DC 15:
The thugs' painted faces indicate their membership in the Last Laugh, Cauldron's most notorious thieves' guild.

Map
Please post your actions for Round 1.


HP 15/18 AC 18/11/17 (19/12/17 when adjacent to 2 allies) F +4, R +1, W -1 (R +2 when adjacent to 2 allies)

Round 1:

Knowledge (Local)
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

"Stand aside, you curs. This man is a priest, and you have no right to treat him thus. Go back to your business."

Adolphus holds his sword menacingly as he slowly approaches.

Intimidate
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


hp 17/17 Temp 0 | NL 0 perception +5 (+6 traps)(+7 or +8 stonework) AC 14; TAC 12; FFAC 12; CMD 16 (20 vs bull rush and trip) F +2; R +5; W +1 (+3 vs spells, spell-like, poison)

F +2; R +4; W +1 (+3 vs spells, spell-like, poison)
AC 14; TAC 12; FFAC 12; CMD 15 (19 vs bull rush and trip)
hp 10/10 | Temp 0 | NL 0 perception +4 (+5 traps)

K.local 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Dreygard shuffles towards the commotion, due south of the finely dressed man. "Orphanage, huh? And why on earth should he?" With a flick of his wrist, a throwing knife appears in the dwarfs right hand and he underhand throws it at the short sword wielding thug.

Move to square down and left of Adolphus.
Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Damage 1d4 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + 3 + (6) = 10

Please don't be wearing armor.


Aasimar (6/6 channel +ve, 7/7 ferocity, 7/7 adoration) Cleric 1 HP: 10/10 | CMD: 12 | AC: 18 (T: 11 / FF:17) | Fort +5 / Ref +1 / Will +8

Nice map, you are doing fine!

"Assaulting a priest, you are being arrested for this, stand down. You don't want to be killed."

Diurn's skin begins to emit a golden light and he displays his holy symbol and begins to cast after stepping 5' towards the thugs.
Full round action cast enlarge.


M Human

Luc moves 20' west and points his odd weapon at the hooligans and says to goons 2 and 3, "You boys, leave that priest alone now, or this gnome invention here in my hand is gonna burn a hole directly to your heart! Your choice, fellas, stop now or die." Luc looks very serious.

Ready an action to shoot the first hooligan who continues accosting the cleric.


retired

I have no ranks in Knowledge(local), so since the DC is higher than 10 I have no way of legitimately looking under that spoiler button! gah!

Valamont slowly and deliberately draws his sword, the pitted and scored blade ringing as it slides free from the shoulder scabbard. He levels the sword menacingly at Thug #1d3 ⇒ 2.

"Yield. Now."

Move Action: Draw bastard sword
Standard Action: Intimidate (Demoralize foe) - Target Thug #2 , 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15 vs (DC = 10+Target HD+Wis Modifer)


Knowledge (local) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

I know those markings... Dorian glances around at the group on the eastern end of the alleyway. "Careful, everyone. These guys are members of the Last Laugh." Despite the dangerous situation, Dorian can't help but feel relieved that his studying of the city taught him something.

He pulls his crossbow from its holster on his back and moves to take cover behind the building to the south.

Move action: Draw loaded crossbow
Move action: Move to the square just south of Luc on the map


Male Dwarf Cave Druid 2

Local? If it's not dwarven or cave-based, Darthal has little clue

Seeing everyone else approaching threateningly, and being unarmored, Darthal moves forward 20' and waits, readying himself to tackle one of the muggers if they should come his way. Readies trip attempt


M Human

As he is pointing his gun at the assailants, Luc looks over to Dorian and says, "Last Laugh? Sir, is that a comedy club or something bad?"


HP 15/18 AC 18/11/17 (19/12/17 when adjacent to 2 allies) F +4, R +1, W -1 (R +2 when adjacent to 2 allies)

"The Last Laugh? I see, a troupe of clowns. Whatever joke you are playing on this poor man can stop now."


"From what I've read they're supposedly the most notorious thieves' guild in the city. Probably not someone you'd want to have as an enemy."


hp 17/17 Temp 0 | NL 0 perception +5 (+6 traps)(+7 or +8 stonework) AC 14; TAC 12; FFAC 12; CMD 16 (20 vs bull rush and trip) F +2; R +5; W +1 (+3 vs spells, spell-like, poison)

"If that's the case, it seems we may be making enemies of them right now. Not good if they're memories not as bad as they are supposed to be."


M Human

"Notorious, heh? They why does it take 3 of them to beat up that poor old priest. And like I said, stop punching him or you're gonna get shot!"

GM - if, on their turn, the thieves continue to hit the priest, my readied action goes off and I will shoot one of them. If they let him go or ignore him and attack us, then my standard action is wasted this round. Let me know. If you want an attack roll, just in case, here it is:

Attack vs. Touch AC: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


- Luc steps forward, pulls his weapon and readies the action to shoot a thug if they continue to accost the cleric.

- Adolphus moves forward and threatens the thugs. The lookout sneers at Adolphus. "This is our business, and none of yours!" Yet his eyes flicker to greatsword wielded by Adolphus, and a nervous waver in his voice belies the strong words.

Intimidate is to demoralize, I assume. Closest to #1, so that will be the target. Thug #1 is shaken for 1 round.

- Dreygard's dagger's aim is true, striking the man's chest, but it hangs loosely, caught by the slight armor the man must be wearing underneath his clothes.

- Darthal moves into the alley and readies himself, looking as solid as a stalagmite.

- The cleric struggles against his captor, ineffectually prying at the man's grasp, but is unable to free himself.

Grapple check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13.

- Valamont's threat causes the man holding the priest to look back and forth, to both ends of the alley. Seeing the number and armament of the people opposing them, he gulps nervously.

Thug #2 is shaken for 1 round

- The thug that threw the punch at the cleric pulls out his short sword in a blinding fast motion and points it at 1d2 ⇒ 2 Luc. "This ain't no comedy club, and if you know what's best, you'll not cross the Last Laugh!"

Intimidate to demoralize check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14. Luc is shaken for 1 round.

- Dorian pulls a crossbow and moves to the south, keeping a wary eye on the situation.

- With a twist of his wrist, the thug releases the cleric and turns to the east. Not quite as cocky as before, he pulls out his short sword and steps forward. Darthal lunges at the thug's legs, but leaves an opening for an attack. The thug casually stabs at Darthal, catching him in the shoulder. The dwarf grunts in pain and stumbles, falling to the ground from the blow.

Thug #2 AoO on Darthal for trip attempt: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14 for 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6 damage.
Darthal trip attempt on Thug #2: 1d20 ⇒ 5
Darthal provokes from the trip attack, Thug #2 hits, and Darthal failed by 10 or more, falling prone himself.

The thug, seeing the ease with which he dispatched the dwarf, laughs and seems to get a bit more confident as he waves his sword at Luc. "Think that little piece o' metal will help you against this? Your friends and you are next if you don't leave now!" The thug holds his sword at the ready.

- The lookout, his sword gripped in nervous hands, stabs at Adolphus, but the sword clangs against his foe's banded mail ineffectually.

Thug #1 attack Adolphus: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12 for 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7.

- Diurn's skin glows golden as he presents his holy symbol. He chants a prayer, his attention focused on the magic building around him.

Spellcraft DC 16:
Diurn is casting Enlarge Person.

Updated Map
Top of round 2. Initiative order:

Luc
Adolphus
Dreygard
Cleric
Valamont
Thug #3
Dorian
Thug #2 (ready)
Darthal
Thug #1
Diurn


Male Dwarf Cave Druid 2

Darthal mutters a spell under his breath, keeping a wary eye on the thug as he does so.

DC 17 check to cast cure light wounds defensively: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 for 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 healing
Loses the spell.


M Human

Nervously, Luc responds, "Last Laugh? Ah, I get it, as in you always get the last laugh....yeah, I could see how that could be scary. But at least, you were smart enough to leave the priest alone." Luc looks around the alleyway, gulps, and does his best to hide his fear. "Let's see you stop this!" he yells, as he spins east 5', letting his duster swirl around him in the rain, as he lets the shot fly with a flick of his wrist.

Luc will use a grit point to add an extra d6 of damage per his pistolero deed.
Since Darthal is prone, no cover modifier.
Attack vs. Thug #2 Touch AC: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 6 - 2 = 13
Damage: 1d8 + 1 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 1 + (4) = 8
HP: 11
AC: 17
Grit left: 2/3


Dorian looks down the alley trying to find a good target for his crossbow shot, but it seems as if other people rushed in to help as well. Not wanting to hit them, he decides to use his training in transmutation magic to throw a telekinetic fist at the nearest thug.

Ranged touch vs. thug #2 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16; Damage 1d4 ⇒ 1


M Human

An aside GM: The thug that intimidated me was already shaken so he received a -2 penalty on his skill checks. Did you factor that in on his Intimidation check against me, because, while a 14 would have succeeded, a 12 would not have been sufficient. Just curious.


Luc Theriot wrote:
An aside GM: The thug that intimidated me was already shaken so he received a -2 penalty on his skill checks. Did you factor that in on his Intimidation check against me, because, while a 14 would have succeeded, a 12 would not have been sufficient. Just curious.

Good catch. You are not shaken, as the result should have been 12.


hp 17/17 Temp 0 | NL 0 perception +5 (+6 traps)(+7 or +8 stonework) AC 14; TAC 12; FFAC 12; CMD 16 (20 vs bull rush and trip) F +2; R +5; W +1 (+3 vs spells, spell-like, poison)

F +2; R +4; W +1 (+3 vs spells, spell-like, poison)
AC 14; TAC 12; FFAC 12; CMD 15 (19 vs bull rush and trip)
hp 10/10 | Temp 0 | NL 0 perception +4 (+5 traps)

Dreygard stares at the knife sticking out of the thugs chest to no effect. "Well damn, I guess its the hard way." He turns to the nobleman. "You got this one?" Then without waiting for an answer he leaps into action, somersaulting past the shaken thug and ends adjacent to the priest. "We'll get you out of this sir." He makes like he is about to grab the priest's hand and lead him out of the fray.

Acrobatics to avoid AoO 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Feint 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Move 4 squares to the right.


Clarification for your Dregyard - the cleric is not currently grappled. Thug #2 dropped the grapple on his turn. Feel free to revise your action if desired.


HP 15/18 AC 18/11/17 (19/12/17 when adjacent to 2 allies) F +4, R +1, W -1 (R +2 when adjacent to 2 allies)

Yeah, I'm used to using intimidate pretty much like diplomacy. You can get someone to do what you want basically by yelling at them loud enough (or scarily enough). I guess thats not how it works by the rules, its just what I'm used to. For instance, intimidate could get them to surrender, perhaps.

Ah, well. Forging onward.

Power Attack #1
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 for 2d6 + 8 ⇒ (5, 6) + 8 = 19

DM:
Also, I hadn't intended to wear my armor in the rain, or for performing diplomatic duties, but perhaps if I was on my way to a training location, I might be wearing it.


retired

Adolphus, you champ! Cut the dude in half why don't you?

If #1 survive's Adolphus' mighty chop:

Valamont focuses briefly before his sword flashes, a faint shine coming from pitted edge. He dashes forward, measuring his steps and his opponent before swinging to strike the thug down.

Swift Action: Activate Arcane Pool (weapon gains +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute)
Move Action: Move adjacent to Adolphus in square immediately beneath him on the map
Standard Action: attack w/Bastard Sword (arcane pool, combat expertise, 2H) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20 for 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9 and Valamont gains +1 dodge bonus to AC until next round

"Like I said, lovely night for a scuffle. Nice shirt."

If #1 drops:

Valamont takes a 5-ft step forward and begins casting a spell.
"Hope you don't mind being tall, friend. Nice shirt."
Begins casting enlarge person - target is Adolphus, spell won't finish until the start of my next turn.


M Human

For Adolphus: Actually, it's 2d6+9 damage, since power attack adds -1 hit/+3 damage with 2-handed weapons, so you did 20 points of damage, if you hit.


M Human
GM alientude wrote:
Luc Theriot wrote:
An aside GM: The thug that intimidated me was already shaken so he received a -2 penalty on his skill checks. Did you factor that in on his Intimidation check against me, because, while a 14 would have succeeded, a 12 would not have been sufficient. Just curious.
Good catch. You are not shaken, as the result should have been 12.

Great, so my previous combat to hit roll was a 15 not 13 and the tactic would have been the same, without the fear.


M Human

GM, I think it's the bad guys' turn since Diurn goes last in the round...


Everybody should be posting their actions for this round, otherwise the rounds are going to become oddly staggered. I just need Diurn's actions and we can keep going.


Male Dwarf Cave Druid 2

You may want to have a time limit before saying "ok, you go total defense or Do The Obvious" to make sure game play doesn't drag on too long.


- Luc steps back, and the thug, alert for any movement, stabs at him. Luc's agile movements avoid the attack, however, and he fires his gun directly into his foe's shoulder. The man jumps at the explosive noise, then yells in pain and fury as the shot tears into his body. He remains standing, however, and points his sword at Luc again. "That'll be th' last mistake you'll ever make!"

Thug #2's readied action triggers. Attack roll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14 is a miss.

- Adolphus's greatsword looms large over his head as he lets out a shout and swings with all his might. The blade cuts deep into the thug's stomach, opening a gaping wound that reveals his entrails. Somehow, the thug remains standing, but just barely.

- Dreygard's somersault is not quite as graceful as he intends, but the mortally wounded thug looks to have no inclination of taking advantage of any openings. As Dreygard feints towards the cleric, the thug nearby reacts, looking to stop the dwarf, but he is pulled off balance by the feint.

Dreygard's Acrobatics check just barely failed, because he moved at full speed (+10 DC). Thug #1 did not take his AoO, however. Thug #3 is flat-footed to Dreygard's next attack.

- The cleric, finally free, takes out a holy symbol shaped like a small, glowing longsword. He concentrates and begins chanting, but his eyes keep flickering to the thug next to him, and he stumbles over the words of the prayer. ”Damnit, Ruphus, pull yourself together,” he mutters as he steps away from the thug.

Concentration check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 - fail, lost spell

Knowledge: Religion DC 10:
You recognize the holy symbol as belonging to the church of Iomedae.

- Valamont steps forward and easily drives his bastard sword into the wounded thug’s chest. The thug drops instantly, blood pouring out of his wounds.

- ”Bah, little thing, trying to trick me, are ya?” The thug next to Dreygard stabs at the dwarf with his short sword, his blade cutting into Dreygard's arm. "There's more where that came from, runt!"

Attack roll: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23 for 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 damage.

- Dorian concentrates for a moment, and the eastern thug’s head rocks to the side, looking exactly like he was just punched.

- Darthal mutters a bit, but, like the cleric, is unable to keep his eyes and thoughts off the thug threatening him.

- Blood continues to pump out of the mortally wounded thug's lacerations. His skin is pale; he doesn't look like he has much time left.

Stabilization check: 1d20 + 1 - 9 ⇒ (9) + 1 - 9 = 1

- Diurn's chanted spell finishes, and where once stood a golden-skinned man now stands a golden-skinned giant! He hesitates for a moment, however, unsure how to move forward with Luc in the way.

Diurn's spell finishes, he delays and will have the first action next round.

Map

Round 3 Initiative order:

Diurn
Luc
Thug #2 (9 damage)
Adolphus
Dreygard
Cleric
Valamont
Thug #3
Dorian
Thug #1 (30 damage)

Anybody who has taken damage, please remember to update your profile with your current/max hp.

GM roll:
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31


M Human

"Funny clown, can't touch me! Looks like that big golden giant wants a piece of you. I'll be right back!"

Luc moves to F18 and reloads his firearm (move action) to allow Diurn an opportunity to move in.


hp 17/17 Temp 0 | NL 0 perception +5 (+6 traps)(+7 or +8 stonework) AC 14; TAC 12; FFAC 12; CMD 16 (20 vs bull rush and trip) F +2; R +5; W +1 (+3 vs spells, spell-like, poison)

F +2; R +4; W +1 (+3 vs spells, spell-like, poison)
AC 14; TAC 12; FFAC 12; CMD 15 (19 vs bull rush and trip)
hp 10/7 Temp 0 | NL 0 perception +4 (+5 traps)

"is that all you've got, Laughing Stock Gang?" Then Dreygard draws his pick and swings it at the thug two-handed. He then nods to the priest, "We'll get you out of this, sir!"

Attack 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14 vs flat-footed AC
damage 1d6 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 4 + (1) = 7


Aasimar (6/6 channel +ve, 7/7 ferocity, 7/7 adoration) Cleric 1 HP: 10/10 | CMD: 12 | AC: 18 (T: 11 / FF:17) | Fort +5 / Ref +1 / Will +8

Enlarge:

Enlarge Person

School transmutation; Level sorcerer/wizard 1

Casting Time 1 round

Components V, S, M (powdered iron)

Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Target one humanoid creature

Duration 1 min./level (D)

Saving Throw Fortitude negates; Spell Resistance yes

This spell causes instant growth of a humanoid creature, doubling its height and multiplying its weight by 8. This increase changes the creature's size category to the next larger one. The target gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a –2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a –1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size.

A humanoid creature whose size increases to Large has a space of 10 feet and a natural reach of 10 feet. This spell does not change the target's speed.


Diurn advances one large step (5') and uses ferocity +1 damage to strike the thug in F13.
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 51d10 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Condition: enlarged (note reach and -2 AC due to size and DEX)


Let's try that again... Dorian draws upon arcane power once again to deliver a telekinetic fist to the nearest thug.

Ranged touch vs. thug #2 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19; Damage 1d4 ⇒ 3


HP 15/18 AC 18/11/17 (19/12/17 when adjacent to 2 allies) F +4, R +1, W -1 (R +2 when adjacent to 2 allies)

Adolphus steps over the unconscious, bleeding thug and advances (to F10) on #3, striking with a powerful swing as he comes into range.

Power Attack #3
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9 for 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (1, 5) + 9 = 15


retired

Valamont kneels down over the thug who is bleeding out, "Ah ah ahhh... Pharasma can only have you after the City Watch has seen you first. Maybe next time a vastly superior force tells you to stand down you'll listen."
Standard Action: Heal (First Aid) 1d20 ⇒ 18 vs. DC 15 success!


Male Dwarf Cave Druid 2

Darthal stands up and looks around to see if anyone else is down. If so he moves toward them to cast stabilize next turn.


Update will be later tonight - been working on it, but I'm out of time. Got a real life game.


- Luc taunts the thugs and moves behind the giant, golden-skinned man. His hands moving rapdily, he pours a powder into his weapon, followed by something that looks similar to a small sling bullet.

- Diurn steps forward and ferociously swings his flail over the prone Darthal. His newly enlarged body seems somewhat clumsy, however, and the attack comes nowhere near the intended target.

I assume a slight delayed action by Diurn here, to allow Luc to get out of his way.

- Thug #2, after watching the flail come nowhere near him, snickers and steps toward Diurn. With a casual thrust, he attacks his enlarge foe, but all he manages to hit is Diurn's armor.

Attack roll: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

- Adolphus steps over the mortally wounded thug and rushes at his next opponent. He unleashes a mighty swing, but is a bit too eager, for he slips on some blood, barely managing to maintain his footing.

- Dreygard hacks at the thug, reminiscent of a miner hacking at an ore deposit, but his one swing has much greater results than an hour of a miner's. The thug, still off-balance, dodges the wrong way, and Dreygard's pick pierces the man's side, gouging a vicious hole into his side.

- The cleric murmurs a short prayer and touches Adolphus on the forehead. "May Iomedae guide you, noble sir."

The cleric casts Guidance on Adolphus.

- Valamont, perhaps showing mercy, perhaps merely wanting to get answers from the thug, tears a strip of cloth from the dying man's clothes and binds his wounds. A hasty job, no doubt, but it looks effective.

- The thug battling Dreygard stabs at the dwarf again, this time hitting him in the leg. "That's right, runt, you're gonna die tonight!"

Thug #3 attack roll on Dreygard: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 for 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 damage.

- Dorian peeks around the corner of the building and waves his hand briefly, and again, the eastern thug's head rocks as if being punched. The thug points his sword at the wizard and says, "Your time is coming, pansy!"

- Darthal gets his feet underneath him, leaving an opening for the thug to swing his sword, but, still reeling from the force of the telekinetic punch from Dorian, the thug misses badly, his blade clanging comically against the ground.

Thug #2 AoO on Darthal for standing up: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Map

Round 4 - Initiative Order:

Luc
Diurn
Thug #2 (11 damage)
Adolphus
Dreygard
Cleric
Valamont
Thug #3 (7 damage)
Dorian
Darthal
Thug #1 (30 damage, unconscious, stable)


M Human

Believing the giant and the dwarf have things well at hand, Luc does not risk a shot between the giant's legs and over the dwarf's shoulder (-8 penalty) and instead urges the dwarf to move to G13 to flank the assailant, thereby perhaps, helping correct the giant's clumsy blow. Besides, bullets and gunpowder are expensive!

1 to 50 of 1,108 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM alientude's Shackled City All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.