Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

GM 101 - Ladile's Manor (Phantom Phenomena)

Game Master Lady Ladile


1 to 50 of 90 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Manor : Manor Slides

GM 101: Phantom Phenomena - Manor

Silver Crusade

HP 11/11 | AC 16 Tch 9 FF 17 | BAB +4 | Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +2 | Init +1 | Diplo +10 | Know (Local) +7 | Know (Religion) +6 | Know (Nobility) +5 | Spellcraft +6 | Sense Motive +4 Lawful Good Human Paladin/1

Night Before:

When Elena returns to the tavern, she requests a tub of warm water despite the late hour. She tips the tavern worker well before locking the door. After a warm bath to relax her aching muscles and clean the muck from her skin, Elena slumps on the bed still wrapped in a towel and passes out.

-----

Now:

Elena steps off of the cart and almost trips over her own two feet. Elena looks down to see if there’s a banana peel but there isn’t. She’s just clumsy. ”Another haunted place,” Elena sighs and places a hand on the hilt of her longsword. Probably the residence of some evil. And what in the world is an etheric compass? Elena stands at her full six-foot-something height and looks towards the abandoned Illirigarde manor.

Liberty's Edge

Male Chelaxian Human Cleric/1 (HP 7/8 (1NL) | AC:17 T:11 FF:16 | CMB:+2 CMD:13 | F:+2 R:+1 W:+5 (+2 vs Fear) | Init:+1 | Perc:+4 Normal | Move:30ft) | Mwk Morningstar +3 (1d8+2/20x2) | CPE DC14 6/6 HotA 5/6 VoM 6/6
Skills:
Acro -2 Appr +0 Bluff +1 Climb -1 Diplo +3 Escape Artist -2 Fly -2 Heal +3 Intim +3 Knowledge (Hist) +5 (Planes) +5 Perc +4 Ride -2 SM +3 SC +4 Stealth -2 Surv +3 Swim -1
Current effects: Shaken: –2 Attack, Save, Skills, Abilities; Magic Weapon Morningstar +1 Attack/Damage; Inspire Rage: +2 STR/CON, +1 Will, -1 AC, no spellcasting or concentration, limited DEX/CHA skills

Last night:

Rasuel and Elena, it looks like you're hurt.

Herald can heal everyone to full HP.

Today:

After yesterday's abominations, perhaps they will start to believe me about They-He. If only I could get the villagers to listen!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Estra HP 10/10; AC 12/t 9/ff 12; f 3, r 1, w 6; bab 0, melee +0, ranged -1; cmb 0, cmd 9; init -1; human spiritualist/1
skills:
bluff 6/7 to fool others, diplo 7, ling 5, perc 4, sm 8, splcrft 5, umd 6

At the inn, Estra relaxes in a hot bath, luxuriating in the wet heat as it soothes her tired old bones and muscles... "Oh Honaire, my dearest love... I'm getting too old for these treks into the wilderness... hiking over uneven ground and through the underbrush is for youngsters... I don't know how that little old professor keeps up! At least our next investigation will take us to a manor house.. I hope it's not in disrepair... I'm looking forward to even floors and easy walking. Oh! stop looking at me like that! I AM old, you know... just because you no longer age, doesn't mean I'm in the same boat. Now, hand me that towel... the bathwater's getting cold, I've got to get out now. Thank you, dear." She climbs out of the tub, wrapping the towel around her for warmth as she stands, rubbing herself down to bring back the heat as she gets ready to dress for dinner downstairs.

She walks down the stairs to the common room like a royal princess entering a ballroom, with elegance and grace that belie her years. When she finds the others, probably already gathered to eat, she takes a remaining seat with a little smile. "Ah, nothing like a hot bath to warm old bones. I see you started without me! Good! You young folks need sustenance... She orders a bowl of soup and some soft bread, and a glass of wine.

"So does anyone know anything about this Illirigarde manor we're going to? I'm just curious as to its condition.. are we going to a ruin or just an abandoned but safe manor house? I do hope it's the latter. Anyone know anything about its history? or that of the missing lady? I'm afraid local lore is not my area of expertise."

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Intit +2 AC 14, T 10, FF 14 HP 9/9 Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +3 CMD 13 Perception +5

Rhasuel is thankful for the healing and bus the Herald a drink for it out of thanks.

The next day he's in a slightly better mood, though the feeling of the creeps that this particular manor inspires sets his Disapproval-o-meter (aka longspear) to tapping the dirt.

Dark Archive

Gnome Unchained Summoner 1| HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 T: 12 FF: 15 CMD: 8 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init +1 | Perception +7(+2 in dim-light), Lowlight
Tracked Resources:
Spells: 1st 2/2

Upon arrival at the inn...
"Oy, Wo'mlin', fix me up, will ya'?" Gulch says as he shoulders his way into their room. Wormling meekly approaches and does as he his bid. "The'e, tha's betta. I'll be a' the ba'," he says as he pushes his summoner out of the way, stomping out and down the stairs. Until the sun chases the night away, the sounds of Gulch breaking things, being overly loud about raunchy and depraved subjects, and otherwise a tremendous nuisance can be heard.

While in his room, Wormling pulls out a little book and begins to write:
Worked with adventurous types today. None seemed particularly well versed in planar binding curses. Still shackled to this beast. More exposure is required, working with the Society should give it to me. One day...

Finished with his writing, he morosely shambles down the stairs to join his companions for dinner. "I don't know anything about the manor, I'm afraid. I've never been to this area before. Ustalav is a strange place to be sure," he says, voice never rising above a whisper.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
"Mr. Sunshine" Cat Familiar 1 | HP 4 | AC 15 T 14 FF 13 | CMD 6 (10 vs Trip) | F +1 R +4 W + 3 | Int +2 | Per +5 SM +1 | | Speed 30 ft | Active Conditions: Cat

At the Inn, Mr. Sunshine turns to his new friend, Professor Qlolorum. "MROOOWWW."

I'll have a saucer of hot chocolate with whipped cream, only hold the hot chocolate and give me extra cream.

To be extra polite, he head butts the professor.

Oh dear! What will I play in this episode?


Estra HP 10/10; AC 12/t 9/ff 12; f 3, r 1, w 6; bab 0, melee +0, ranged -1; cmb 0, cmd 9; init -1; human spiritualist/1
skills:
bluff 6/7 to fool others, diplo 7, ling 5, perc 4, sm 8, splcrft 5, umd 6

Estra walks over to Wormling and sits down beside him. She puts on her best 'grandmotherly' aire and asks gently "Are you alright, little one? You seem, well, a bit retiring and, dare I say it, cowed by someone or something... What's wrong?"

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gnome Unchained Summoner 1| HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 T: 12 FF: 15 CMD: 8 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init +1 | Perception +7(+2 in dim-light), Lowlight
Tracked Resources:
Spells: 1st 2/2

"I- er... You know... Ummm..." Wormling somehow grows even more pale as he squirms. "I'm... ok I guess. I may be a little down on my luck, but it can always turn around!" He shifts in his seat and looks around to check his current company. Not even he is convinced by his half-hearted show of enthusiasm.

In a voice barely audible, he continues, "In my youth, I may have dabbled in some magic well beyond my means. I wanted nothing more than power and this is the price for my folly. I made... a deal... and this is the result." Gulch can be heard antagonizing some locals about their mothers and challenging them to outlandish contests. Wormling cringes. "Do you happen to know an expert on planar binding rituals?"


Estra HP 10/10; AC 12/t 9/ff 12; f 3, r 1, w 6; bab 0, melee +0, ranged -1; cmb 0, cmd 9; init -1; human spiritualist/1
skills:
bluff 6/7 to fool others, diplo 7, ling 5, perc 4, sm 8, splcrft 5, umd 6

Estra speaks softly. "Actually, young one, that's kind of outside my own area of expertise, and I'm an old woman, most of the folks I knew who might have such knowledge have left this mortal sphere already. But I'm sure there are more in this world... We can find one together perhaps. I will help you if I can. Is... " she looks over at the raucous Gulch, "that the result of your folly? Do you mind if I ask... what hold does it have over you?"... She tsks and shakes her head slightly as she awaits his answer.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Manor : Manor Slides

While some of the party sit downstairs in the common room talking, a young red-headed serving girl makes rounds taking orders and refilling drinks. When she reaches the party's table, she smiles though there's also a look of curiosity in her eyes as she addresses you.

"Evenin'! Are you folks findin' everythin' alright tonight here at the Sage and Mug?"

Then she pauses as she realizes that she might've just interrupted some sort of serious talk and glances nervously from Estra to Wormling. "Er...sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt! Want me to come back in a few minutes?"


Estra HP 10/10; AC 12/t 9/ff 12; f 3, r 1, w 6; bab 0, melee +0, ranged -1; cmb 0, cmd 9; init -1; human spiritualist/1
skills:
bluff 6/7 to fool others, diplo 7, ling 5, perc 4, sm 8, splcrft 5, umd 6

"A nice bowl of hot soup and some bread, butter and honey are fine for me...What would you like, young man?"


"Mr. Sunshine" Cat Familiar 1 | HP 4 | AC 15 T 14 FF 13 | CMD 6 (10 vs Trip) | F +1 R +4 W + 3 | Int +2 | Per +5 SM +1 | | Speed 30 ft | Active Conditions: Cat

"MRO-O-OW!" Mr. Sunshine yowls expectantly at the waitress.

One hot chocolate and whipped cream, only without the hot chocolate... And extra whipped cream! NOW.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Manor : Manor Slides

"Okay, so one bowl of soup with bread, butter, and honey as a side...oh!"

The waitress jumps as a loud yowl sounds from underneath the table. She peeks underneath and chuckles. "Okay, okay, something for you too! Huh...I don't see th' girl that was carrying you around earlier. Did you lose your her or are you just keepin' an eye on these folks for her?"

With a wink, she straightens back up and returns her attention to the table. "Truth be told I'm usually more of a dog type myself but that kitty's a cute one," she grins. "Anyway, I might be able to swipe a bit of cream for him - just don't let on like I gave it to you for free is all."

As she goes back to taking orders she can't help but glance up at the party again, that same look of curiosity on her face. "So...I know it's prob'ly not any of my business but you are some of those folks that came through an' went inside The Lucky Lantern the other day, aren't you?"

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Chelaxian Human Cleric/1 (HP 7/8 (1NL) | AC:17 T:11 FF:16 | CMB:+2 CMD:13 | F:+2 R:+1 W:+5 (+2 vs Fear) | Init:+1 | Perc:+4 Normal | Move:30ft) | Mwk Morningstar +3 (1d8+2/20x2) | CPE DC14 6/6 HotA 5/6 VoM 6/6
Skills:
Acro -2 Appr +0 Bluff +1 Climb -1 Diplo +3 Escape Artist -2 Fly -2 Heal +3 Intim +3 Knowledge (Hist) +5 (Planes) +5 Perc +4 Ride -2 SM +3 SC +4 Stealth -2 Surv +3 Swim -1
Current effects: Shaken: –2 Attack, Save, Skills, Abilities; Magic Weapon Morningstar +1 Attack/Damage; Inspire Rage: +2 STR/CON, +1 Will, -1 AC, no spellcasting or concentration, limited DEX/CHA skills

Herald, overhearing the conversation between Estra and Wormling, chimes in.

Not so long ago - at least in geologic terms - I was among the greatest experts in Cheliax in such matters.

He looks wistfully into his tea.

But, like you, I was headstrong and too sure of myself. Be thankful the entity who found you is only a local disturbance. I awakened an entity which will destroy us utterly and entirely.

He raises his voice for the rest of the patrons to hear.

We only have 10,000 years to prepare! Heed me! Be not the sheep, blissfully walking to the slaughter. We must understand the magic known as "Tekk'gnoll-jii" if we are to have any chance of...

Amid a chorus of "Shut up, old man!" and "We've heard it!" and "Go shout at clouds!", Herald takes his tea and morosely moves to a lonely table, muttering under his breath the whole way.

Dark Archive

Gnome Unchained Summoner 1| HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 T: 12 FF: 15 CMD: 8 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init +1 | Perception +7(+2 in dim-light), Lowlight
Tracked Resources:
Spells: 1st 2/2

Wormling opens his mouth to speak when he is cut off by the waitress. His expression remains completely neutral, as though this were a common occurrence. "Porridge, a glass of milk, and a head of cabbage, please," he responds.

Once they are alone again, he continues. "The extent of his power is thus: If he sustains wounds beyond his body's means, my very life force fuels his own. I cannot dismiss him, only my death will free me from his malice and why I search for a subject matter expert. My ineptitude is the reason such a horrid creature was called forth, something beyond my means to control. I used to resist, but I have learned that it is easier to obey," perhaps for the first time, you notice various marks of cruelty upon the exposed parts of his body. "Others have tried reason, overpowering, and emotional appeals, but all for naught. Please do not try to help me directly, but I appreciate any leads you have on finding the right person."


Estra HP 10/10; AC 12/t 9/ff 12; f 3, r 1, w 6; bab 0, melee +0, ranged -1; cmb 0, cmd 9; init -1; human spiritualist/1
skills:
bluff 6/7 to fool others, diplo 7, ling 5, perc 4, sm 8, splcrft 5, umd 6

"Oh my, you poor dear... I would help but apparently help only makes things worse, so I will do whatever I can to find you someone with knowledge in the field. Until then, anything you need, you come to me, okay?" She pats the back of his hand with comradely understanding.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
12/13 Max || AC:15 T:11 FF:14 CMD:14 || Fort:+3 Refl:+1 Will:+2 || Init:+3 Perception:+4 || Lawful Neutral Male Human Inquisitor (Living Grimoire) (1) || Hand of the Acolyte 6/6

Mathos wanders in. He looks disheveled and slightly unhappy.

I have been searching for another person of faith. I was hoping to negotiate the use of their written spells for a few hours. There is none in the tiny hamlet. Asmodeus helps those who help themselves, within the law of course, and I was hoping to gain some extra options to protect myself. What have I missed? Do we know where the next dangerous situation we will be flung into? Speaking of which, where is that Doctor. I would like to discuss the conditions of my involvement here.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Manor : Manor Slides

Sensing that now isn't the best time for questions, the waitress finishes taking your orders. "Alrighty, I'll get all this right out to you folks. I'm Martine if you need anything, okay?" she smiles before hurrying off to take care of your orders.

Thankfully, the rest of your evening at the Sage & Mug passes peacefully with some of you getting to know each other a little better and everyone getting a good night's sleep. The next morning, the party receives yet another missive from their friend Dr. Quolorum. The note (see Slide #4) reads as follows:

My studious aides,

I have acquired permission to send a team into the haunted and abandoned Illirigarde Manor. I hope you can gain insight into Lady Illirigarde’s research, as she too took an interest in the psychic phenomena plaguing this stretch of the Hungry Mountains. My findings suggest that she was close to a breakthrough when she mysteriously disappeared several decades ago. It is extremely important you recover any tools that will help as we pick up where she left off - especially something her writings calls ‘etheric compasses’.

Also, my design for an ectoplasmic container is ready for field tests. These boxes will hold and preserve ethereal material and may be useful to you in this endeavor. I am almost certain they are risk-free.

Dr. Quolorum
______________

In addition to the note, the group also receives a rather large package as well as a brass key. The package contains two boxes made out of crystalline panels, each about a 1-foot cube. With the ectoplasmic containers and your instructions in hand you all make your way back through the small village of Dunhob and beyond, towards the abandoned Illirigarde Manor - wondering what sorts of experiences lie in wait for you there.

If you like, you may ask around Dunhob for information about the Manor as you pass through or you might try to remember any local rumors or bits of history that you’ve picked up.

Diplomacy or Knowledge: Local (DC 10+):

Though many of Dunhob’s citizens are reluctant to speak much about the manor nearly everyone seems to agree that the place is haunted, with even the caretakers abandoning their charge to maintain the grounds decades ago.

Diplomacy or Knowledge: Local (DC 15+):

Rumor has it that the mirrors within the manor never have functioned quite right since Lady Illirigarde’s disappearance; instead of reflecting the house as it is, it shows a reflection of what once was.

Diplomacy or Knowledge: Local (DC 20+):

It’s said that holy water or the prayers of a priest can put a stop to hauntings before they become dangerous, which might come in handy if the manor really is haunted. However, timing is critical.

Knowledge: History (DC 10+):

Lady Illirigarde commissioned the manor over 40 years ago and it’s apparently been bad luck ever since. The Lady disappeared one stormy night and no one has used the manor since.

Knowledge: History (DC 15+):

The last person to brave the manor ran out screaming and behaved oddly for several hours afterward. That was 20 years ago.

______________

You arrive at Illirigarde Manor underneath the gaze of a gray and overcast sky. The once-stately home sits on a small hill that overlooks the surrounding countryside. Although the gray stonework has weathered the decades with only minor wear, weeds and grass have taken over the outside grounds while vines creep in and out of broken windows. Despite the overgrowth, what was once a path is still visible leading up to a set of grand oaken doors. All is quiet except for the occasional whisper of wind through the tall grass.

Feel free to place yourselves on the map as you like (Slide #3) and we'll get this show on the road!


"Mr. Sunshine" Cat Familiar 1 | HP 4 | AC 15 T 14 FF 13 | CMD 6 (10 vs Trip) | F +1 R +4 W + 3 | Int +2 | Per +5 SM +1 | | Speed 30 ft | Active Conditions: Cat

His mistress busy with boring paperwork for Dr. Qlolorum, Mr. Sunshine pads softly behind the rest of the party to see what they're up to doing. He sniffs around the bushes to see if he can smell anything interesting...

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

...and instead sneezes as he gets a dust bunny up his nose.

* Ah-choo! *

Dignity offended, he hastily looks up at the others, making sure they're appropriately supervised.

"Mreep?"

Are you going to open the door, or what? Curious cats want to know.

__
Placed!


Estra HP 10/10; AC 12/t 9/ff 12; f 3, r 1, w 6; bab 0, melee +0, ranged -1; cmb 0, cmd 9; init -1; human spiritualist/1
skills:
bluff 6/7 to fool others, diplo 7, ling 5, perc 4, sm 8, splcrft 5, umd 6

Estra asks some rather pointed questions on the way out of town.

diplo: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

She advises her companions "The locals seem to think the place is haunted and won't go there. Even the caretakers have abandoned the manor. Tales say the mirrors in the house don't even work... they reflect the place's former glory rather than its current condition."

Scarab Sages

Intit +2 AC 14, T 10, FF 14 HP 9/9 Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +3 CMD 13 Perception +5

kn:local: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
kn:history: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Thiel confirms her findings, though people were far less lonely to talk to him than a grandmother like Estra.

Dark Archive

12/13 Max || AC:15 T:11 FF:14 CMD:14 || Fort:+3 Refl:+1 Will:+2 || Init:+3 Perception:+4 || Lawful Neutral Male Human Inquisitor (Living Grimoire) (1) || Hand of the Acolyte 6/6

In an effort to avoid anymore unpleasant surprises Mathos ventures out again to try to gather what information he can from the locals.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

He fails to learn any new information, much to his disgust.


Estra HP 10/10; AC 12/t 9/ff 12; f 3, r 1, w 6; bab 0, melee +0, ranged -1; cmb 0, cmd 9; init -1; human spiritualist/1
skills:
bluff 6/7 to fool others, diplo 7, ling 5, perc 4, sm 8, splcrft 5, umd 6

Estra will also ask around about a planar binding expert, though I suspect in this small town there's no chance of finding one, AND it's outside the scope of the scenario, but she promised she'd try

Liberty's Edge

Male Chelaxian Human Cleric/1 (HP 7/8 (1NL) | AC:17 T:11 FF:16 | CMB:+2 CMD:13 | F:+2 R:+1 W:+5 (+2 vs Fear) | Init:+1 | Perc:+4 Normal | Move:30ft) | Mwk Morningstar +3 (1d8+2/20x2) | CPE DC14 6/6 HotA 5/6 VoM 6/6
Skills:
Acro -2 Appr +0 Bluff +1 Climb -1 Diplo +3 Escape Artist -2 Fly -2 Heal +3 Intim +3 Knowledge (Hist) +5 (Planes) +5 Perc +4 Ride -2 SM +3 SC +4 Stealth -2 Surv +3 Swim -1
Current effects: Shaken: –2 Attack, Save, Skills, Abilities; Magic Weapon Morningstar +1 Attack/Damage; Inspire Rage: +2 STR/CON, +1 Will, -1 AC, no spellcasting or concentration, limited DEX/CHA skills

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Herald agrees that the locals think the place is haunted. He adds, without being asked, that they're terribly provincial and unwilling to face the hard truth if its staring them in the face. Fools!

Knowledge History: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

You know, Lady Illirigarde commissioned that manor over 4 decades ago. From the start it was bad luck, and has been ever since. No one has used the manor since she disappeared one stormy night. Probably all sorts of toothy vermin living there now.

Silver Crusade

HP 11/11 | AC 16 Tch 9 FF 17 | BAB +4 | Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +2 | Init +1 | Diplo +10 | Know (Local) +7 | Know (Religion) +6 | Know (Nobility) +5 | Spellcraft +6 | Sense Motive +4 Lawful Good Human Paladin/1

Early Morning:

Elena fell fast asleep shortly after her bath but she woke at first light. Elena gathers her things and heads to the courtyard of the tavern to practice her swordsmanship for an hour in the name of Iomedae. After an invigorating practice, Elena struts into the tavern for breakfast, nodding a 'good morning' to everyone she sees. Elena requests a protein-rich breakfast and a glass of milk. "I am a noble hero on a quest to improve your lives by eradicating your problems. Tell me what you all know of the Manor so that I may better protect you with my sword."

If Elena has both Diplomacy and Knowledge Local, does she only pick one for the roll? Or can she use both?

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

"Ahh, I see. Well you all can rest assured that I, Elena White, will do my best to rid the Manor of anything foul that may reside there."

Now:

Estra wrote:
She advises her companions "The locals seem to think the place is haunted and won't go there. Even the caretakers have abandoned the manor. Tales say the mirrors in the house don't even work... they reflect the place's former glory rather than its current condition."
The Herold wrote:
"You know, Lady Illirigarde commissioned that manor over 4 decades ago. From the start it was bad luck, and has been ever since. No one has used the manor since she disappeared one stormy night. Probably all sorts of toothy vermin living there now."

"Sounds like our services are needed! Let's go inside!" Elena approaches the front doors, and stands next to the doorbell. "Ready, allies?" Her hand rests casually on the hilt of her longsword but here eyes are alert.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Manor : Manor Slides

Although your group has earned a little fame within Dunhob for braving The Lucky Lantern and living to tell the tale most of the residents seem unwilling to discuss the manor at length, claiming that to do so would be to invite even more trouble into the small town. Clearly they're simply superstitious and provincial peasants and not at all put off at being accosted by crazy old travelers, haughty Chelaxians, and ill-tempered eidolons.

Both Elena and Estra have a little better luck, the first owing to her way with words and the second to her gentle, grandmotherly demeanor, and manage to glean a few tidbits as well as an interesting rumor about the mirrors.

"Thank ya kindly, ma'am - if you and your friends really can put an end to these strange happenings I know Dunhob and the whole dang region would be mighty grateful," one woman responds to Elena's inquiries. "Uh...and not meaning any offense, but maybe you should give some of your friends a few lessons on talking nicely to folks," she adds in a whisper.

Though the party's attempts to gather information on the manor do prove fruitful, Estra's side quest of finding a specialist on planar binding quickly runs into a snag as she's met primarily with blank looks and helpless shrugs.

"Ah don't know anythin' 'bout them magicks," one elderly man replies. "Don't them wizards and bookworms have schools or somethin' they go to so they can talk 'bout their magicky things? Mebbe try askin' around at one a' them, like that place over in Rozenport..." He scratches his head, trying to recall the name. "Think it was uh...Sink-o-maktee School or somethin' like that."
__________

Elena, I think that since either skill can be used to access the same information you just pick one skill to go with. However I'm still trying to find a definitive answer and if I'm wrong then we can always retcon slightly! Sound fair?

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Gnome Unchained Summoner 1| HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 T: 12 FF: 15 CMD: 8 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init +1 | Perception +7(+2 in dim-light), Lowlight
Tracked Resources:
Spells: 1st 2/2

Gulch announces his presence at breakfast with a thunderous belch. He looks over the delivery, scoffs, then pulls up a chair and consumes his breakfast with gusto.

Wormling orders the same meal he had for dinner and picks at it while the others go through the package. He seems a little better rested than he was the day before, like a load was taken off his shoulders after the events of the night before.

When the party is ready to move into the manor...
"Wha' a'e we wai'in' fo', eh? Le's go on i'side! U'less ya a bunch a... sca'edy cats! AHAHAHAHA!" Gulch gives Mr. Sunshine a rough nudge as delivers the punchline, confidently bounding up the steps. At the door, he promptly slams his fists into it with a loud crash. "Ay, Paladin! Thi' is h'w ya lead tha way! Firs' in ta ba'le my a'se!"

Wormling does his best to keep his distance but still follow, knowing his keeper gets a little feisty after a night of debauchery. Close enough for spells, but inconvenient enough to not be a target... it's worked before, should work now!

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Human Skald 1 | hp 10/10 | AC 16 /12T/ 14FF | Init +2 | Fort +3 Ref +2 Will +1 | spells: 1st- 2/2 | raging song: 11/11 | Spd 30' | Perc. +3 | Conditions: None

Hakon greets the group in the morning. "I'm sorry I did not have a chance introduce myself last night. My name is Hakon, warrior-poet from the north. Dr. Quolorum asked me to assist you in this manor."

Know(local): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Know(history): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

"It’s said that holy water or the prayers of a priest can put a stop to hauntings before they become dangerous, which might come in handy if the manor really is haunted. However, timing is critical."

He listens attentively as the others fill him in. "Indeed, this could become an achievement to add to my saga." He examines the deck and takes his draw.

Suit: 1d6 ⇒ 3 Constitution
card: 1d9 ⇒ 7 LE: The Tangled Briar. It represents a historical thing or creature that will have some influence on the question."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Manor : Manor Slides

Going to go ahead and move along just a bit further for tonight, but feel free to retcon conversation and other observations about the manor and what you've learned as we proceed!
______________

Illirigarde Manor, Exterior

Deciding to show the others how it's done, Gulch slams into the oaken doors with a mighty crash but they stand firmly closed. Upon further inspection, the door is discovered to be locked. Although it might be possible for a master of unlocking to pick it open, Dr. Quolorum had thankfully planned ahead and secured the key to the manor's front doors. After making sure everyone is ready to proceed, Elena unlocks the door with an audible *click*. The doors are pulled open, hinges groaning and squealing after years of disuse, as the dim light of day partially illuminates the room beyond...

Illirigarde Manor, Foyer

As you step inside what must have been the foyer, your eyes are immediately drawn to a large portrait hanging directly opposite the front doors over the fireplace. The portrait was surely a beautiful piece of artwork at one point, but the party can clearly see long, ragged slashes ripped through the canvas where the subject's face once was. Though initially seems impossible to determine who the painting was meant to depict, anyone who draws closer spots two important details. First, the subject's hairline is still partially visible and shows that whoever it was possessed a strong widow's peak. More importantly, a small wooden plaque underneath the painting bears the name 'Lady Rena Illirigarde', which someone or something has ineffectually attempted to scratch out. Furthermore, there are other, deeper scratches covering the plaque - a single word, 'HATE', over and over and over again.

Other than the destroyed painting, there is little else of apparent interest in the foyer. The rest of the furniture has been covered up at some point with sheets and a thick layer of dust coats everything in sight. Two sets of double-doors can be seen, one to the east and one to west. All is quiet.

Survival (DC 20):

Actually, the dust doesn't coat everything. Upon closer inspection, you make out what seem to be the tracks of a small humanoid meandering about the room. You'd guess that the tracks are relatively recent, probably made sometime within the past year.

Perception (DC 20):

As you poke around the room, you happen to spot what looks like a tiny hole chewed into the baseboard on the eastern wall of the room.


Estra HP 10/10; AC 12/t 9/ff 12; f 3, r 1, w 6; bab 0, melee +0, ranged -1; cmb 0, cmd 9; init -1; human spiritualist/1
skills:
bluff 6/7 to fool others, diplo 7, ling 5, perc 4, sm 8, splcrft 5, umd 6

survival dc 20: 1d20 ⇒ 5
perception dc 20: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

"Oh my, it's quite dusty in here... obviously no one's cleaned this place in ages. tsk tsk.. such a shame... "

Silver Crusade

HP 11/11 | AC 16 Tch 9 FF 17 | BAB +4 | Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +2 | Init +1 | Diplo +10 | Know (Local) +7 | Know (Religion) +6 | Know (Nobility) +5 | Spellcraft +6 | Sense Motive +4 Lawful Good Human Paladin/1
Wormling wrote:
Gulch gives Mr. Sunshine a rough nudge as delivers the punchline, confidently bounding up the steps. At the door, he promptly slams his fists into it with a loud crash. "Ay, Paladin! Thi' is h'w ya lead tha way! Firs' in ta ba'le my a'se!"

Definitely an odd creature. Elena eyes Gulch up and down and uses Detect Evil in the surrounding area once they are in the foyer of the manor. ”Which god do you pledge your allegiance too, Gulch?” Elena raises her shield when she asks the question, showcasing her oven faith in case Gulch is curious.

Estra wrote:
"Oh my, it's quite dusty in here... obviously no one's cleaned this place in ages. tsk tsk.. such a shame... "

Elena turns from Gulch when she hears Estra speak.

Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12

”I see what you mean; this place really hasn’t been taken care of properly. And look at that painting. Abandoned houses attract vandalism and other crimes.” Elena draws her longsword, "Crimes," Elena states, "will not go unpunished while I'm around." Elena turns to her companions and asks, "This house is still the property of Lady Illirigarde, correct?"


Estra HP 10/10; AC 12/t 9/ff 12; f 3, r 1, w 6; bab 0, melee +0, ranged -1; cmb 0, cmd 9; init -1; human spiritualist/1
skills:
bluff 6/7 to fool others, diplo 7, ling 5, perc 4, sm 8, splcrft 5, umd 6

Estra shrugs and turns to Mathos a moment... then back to Elena. "Perhaps you should ask our very own lawyer, as I am not familiar with local property laws. The Lady Illirigarde has been missing a long time... does the property remain hers? revert to a relative or the town? or something else? I just don't know. Mathos, perhaps you can enlighten us?"

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.
12/13 Max || AC:15 T:11 FF:14 CMD:14 || Fort:+3 Refl:+1 Will:+2 || Init:+3 Perception:+4 || Lawful Neutral Male Human Inquisitor (Living Grimoire) (1) || Hand of the Acolyte 6/6

Thrilled at being consulted for his professional opinion Mathos inwardly beams, however he strives to not betray this outwardly and tries to keep his detached air of superiority.

I am not sure about what the quaint local customs are in this backwater. However if this were a civilized place like Cheliax then it would remain hers for a period and then would be passed as laid out in her estate papers. The "good doctor" obtained permission for us to enter so I can only assume that there are some sort of power of attorney papers in place until the fate of the Lady is determined.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Chelaxian Human Cleric/1 (HP 7/8 (1NL) | AC:17 T:11 FF:16 | CMB:+2 CMD:13 | F:+2 R:+1 W:+5 (+2 vs Fear) | Init:+1 | Perc:+4 Normal | Move:30ft) | Mwk Morningstar +3 (1d8+2/20x2) | CPE DC14 6/6 HotA 5/6 VoM 6/6
Skills:
Acro -2 Appr +0 Bluff +1 Climb -1 Diplo +3 Escape Artist -2 Fly -2 Heal +3 Intim +3 Knowledge (Hist) +5 (Planes) +5 Perc +4 Ride -2 SM +3 SC +4 Stealth -2 Surv +3 Swim -1
Current effects: Shaken: –2 Attack, Save, Skills, Abilities; Magic Weapon Morningstar +1 Attack/Damage; Inspire Rage: +2 STR/CON, +1 Will, -1 AC, no spellcasting or concentration, limited DEX/CHA skills

Survival DC20: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Perception DC20: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Herald sniffs the air as if smelling the results of a bean-and-cabbage dinner for the first time.

Yes, but what you may not be aware of is...the place is very dusty, as if no one has cleaned it in a long, long time.

He waits expectantly to be congratulated for his keen insight.

Scarab Sages

Intit +2 AC 14, T 10, FF 14 HP 9/9 Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +3 CMD 13 Perception +5

perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Rhasuel's disapproval is in full swing by the tune the party gains entry. He scored at the state of the place.
Regardless of its legal state we should get moving. This place gives me a bad feeling in my knees.

Grand Lodge

NG Male Human Skald 1 | hp 10/10 | AC 16 /12T/ 14FF | Init +2 | Fort +3 Ref +2 Will +1 | spells: 1st- 2/2 | raging song: 11/11 | Spd 30' | Perc. +3 | Conditions: None

Hakon whistles as he enters the manor. "Someone or something has hate in their heart and decided to let it out. The rage of battle can be honorable, but this... this is worrisome."

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Hakon scans the walls for other signs of damage or destruction. "Look here. Something chewed a hole in the baseboard on the east wall. I'd say we should call the rat-catcher, but I don't believe that rats did that." he gestures to the destroyed painting.


"Mr. Sunshine" Cat Familiar 1 | HP 4 | AC 15 T 14 FF 13 | CMD 6 (10 vs Trip) | F +1 R +4 W + 3 | Int +2 | Per +5 SM +1 | | Speed 30 ft | Active Conditions: Cat

"Mrow?" Mr Sunshine's ears prick up.

Did someone call for a rat catcher?

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
HP 11/11 | AC 16 Tch 9 FF 17 | BAB +4 | Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +2 | Init +1 | Diplo +10 | Know (Local) +7 | Know (Religion) +6 | Know (Nobility) +5 | Spellcraft +6 | Sense Motive +4 Lawful Good Human Paladin/1
Rhasuel wrote:
"Regardless of its legal state we should get moving. This place gives me a bad feeling in my knees."

You can't rush.... JUSTICE.

KingOfPregens as Hakon wrote:
Hakon scans the walls for other signs of damage or destruction. "Look here. Something chewed a hole in the baseboard on the east wall. I'd say we should call the rat-catcher, but I don't believe that rats did that." he gestures to the destroyed painting.

Elena looks to where Hakon is pointing. She approaches the hole in the baseboard and pokes it with the tip of her longsword. "Hmm." Moved on map - please move if not at hole in wall.

Perception (hole): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14

"And who's that statue of in the Southeast corner?" Elena asks. Must be of someone notable to be carved out of stone.

Dark Archive

12/13 Max || AC:15 T:11 FF:14 CMD:14 || Fort:+3 Refl:+1 Will:+2 || Init:+3 Perception:+4 || Lawful Neutral Male Human Inquisitor (Living Grimoire) (1) || Hand of the Acolyte 6/6

Mathos enters the building and looks around.

Survival: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17
Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Seeing nothing of interest he watches to see if the other find anything.

Dark Archive

Gnome Unchained Summoner 1| HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 T: 12 FF: 15 CMD: 8 | F+4 R+1 W+3 | Init +1 | Perception +7(+2 in dim-light), Lowlight
Tracked Resources:
Spells: 1st 2/2

Perception, Gulch: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Perception, Wormling: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Survival, Gulch: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Survival, Wormling: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

"I wo'ship none othe' tha' the titans o' the Abyss!" He proudly proclaims. Gulch gives Elena a puzzled look when she raises her shield at him in response. "Wha's tha' then? Ya like ta preten' ya shield is a sword?"

Before Mathos suggests what is likely to have occured legally...
When Elena starts to make bold claims about what he cannot do, Gulch rises to the occasion, a sly smile spreading along his face. "If'n tha's the case, wha' makes ya special? We is tresspassin', is we not? Bette' punish ya self now!" He sits down and rolls on the floor, clutching his substantial belly as he laughs a good hard laugh.

Wormling, on the other hand, is focused on his surroundings. He notices the hole as well and takes a closer look. "Looks like teeth marks. Any sign of whatever made it is still around?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Manor : Manor Slides

You all spread out into the foyer and give the room a good once-over, especially Elena who focuses on looking for vile auras. Thankfully, her blessed sight doesn't reveal anything worrying. Continuing to prove herself a highly inquisitive soul, Elena also expresses interest in the statue in the southeast corner. Currently it stands covered by a sheet like the rest of the furniture, but there's nothing preventing one from peeking underneath it if they so choose.

Statue - Kn. Religion (DC 10):

The statue depicts a woman wearing a hooded robe and carrying an hourglass. Clearly, this represents Pharasma.

Statue - Kn. Religion (DC 15):

The Lady of Graves, Pharasma is responsible for passing judgement on all souls as they pass through her Boneyard. Her primary realms of concern are death, rebirth, fate, and prophecy.

Aside from the small hole in the baseboard there doesn't seem to be much else of note. Elena and Wormling both note that the hole seems to lead into what looks like a hallway, but neither one can see much else from that vantage point.

As the party mills around the foyer looking and discussing what they've found so far, something peculiar begins to occur. One by one, the unlit candles which flank each side of Lady Illirigarde's defaced portrait begin to ignite! As each one flares to life, the portrait is illuminated with an eerie, flickering light. Moments later, an audible scratching sound is heard by all - emanating from somewhere to the east, beyond the double doors.


Estra HP 10/10; AC 12/t 9/ff 12; f 3, r 1, w 6; bab 0, melee +0, ranged -1; cmb 0, cmd 9; init -1; human spiritualist/1
skills:
bluff 6/7 to fool others, diplo 7, ling 5, perc 4, sm 8, splcrft 5, umd 6

"Oh my, that's not good." Estra calls Honaire to her.

Dark Archive

12/13 Max || AC:15 T:11 FF:14 CMD:14 || Fort:+3 Refl:+1 Will:+2 || Init:+3 Perception:+4 || Lawful Neutral Male Human Inquisitor (Living Grimoire) (1) || Hand of the Acolyte 6/6

Mathos is inquisitive about the statue in the corner. He thinks it may be religious in nature.

Kn Religion: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Ahh, I know that figure. That is Pharasma. She looks over death, rebirth, fate and prophesy. Seems fitting for our Harrow reading Lady. Speaking of which, may I see that deck?

He is so focused upon the statue that he does not notice the candles until he turns. Seeing the eerie sight he drops the Harrow deck and manages to retain only 1 card.

Harrow Draw: 1d6 ⇒ 2

+2 to dex?

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 11/11 | AC 16 Tch 9 FF 17 | BAB +4 | Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +2 | Init +1 | Diplo +10 | Know (Local) +7 | Know (Religion) +6 | Know (Nobility) +5 | Spellcraft +6 | Sense Motive +4 Lawful Good Human Paladin/1
Wormling wrote:
"Wha's tha' then? Ya like ta preten' ya shield is a sword?"

Elena is momentarily dumbfounded. What? How does he not know of the honorable Iomedae? Elena has no idea what Glutch means by “titans of the abyss.” ”We were given a key. We aren’t trespassing,” Elena reasons. ”Plus, Lady Illirigarde may be in trouble and in need of our help.”

-------

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Hmm Pharasma, is it? Interesting that the Lady would choose such a god to respect in her home.

Mathos Crus wrote:
"Ahh, I know that figure. That is Pharasma. She looks over death, rebirth, fate and prophesy. Seems fitting for our Harrow reading Lady."

Mathos makes a lot of sense.

-------

GM Ladile wrote:
One by one, the unlit candles which flank each side of Lady Illirigarde's defaced portrait begin to ignite! As each one flares to life, the portrait is illuminated with an eerie, flickering light. Moments later, an audible scratching sound is heard by all - emanating from somewhere to the east, beyond the double doors.
Estra wrote:
"Oh my, that's not good." Estra calls Honaire to her.

Elena raises her longsword and shield towards the noise. She reaches out with her senses to try to detect any evil that may be present.

Regardless of the results, Elena calls out Eastward, to her possible foes: "Come out! I grant honor to worthy enemies, and contempt to the rest!"

If nothing happens, Elena calls out to her companions: "Could one of you please try this door? Both my hands are occupied." Elena is holding her shield in one hand and her sword in the other. Elena's heart beats faster with the anticipation of a fight.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Intit +2 AC 14, T 10, FF 14 HP 9/9 Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +3 CMD 13 Perception +5

Rhasuel sneers at the candles as they ignite of their own volition. That was very naughty indeed.
He walks up to the door, looks back to make sure everyone's ready. Watch, it's a mouse. He says with a terrible in his eye and snicker in his lips. He then opens the door and falls back a step.

Grand Lodge

NG Male Human Skald 1 | hp 10/10 | AC 16 /12T/ 14FF | Init +2 | Fort +3 Ref +2 Will +1 | spells: 1st- 2/2 | raging song: 11/11 | Spd 30' | Perc. +3 | Conditions: None

"Whate'er it may be, we're here to recover the good Lady's tools. I expect she had a study or perhaps a workshop somewhere near her private quarters." Hakon moves toward and gestures to the stairs.


Manor : Manor Slides

Rhasuel boldly opens the eastern doors, which also creak and groan with protest. Although he makes sure to fall back in case there are any fearsome mice lying in wait, nothing else seems to happen. The doors lead into a hallway that is empty aside from more sheet-covered tables and dusty paintings hanging on the walls.

Peering inside, the party can see that they can head north or south from here. To the south, the hallway runs a short distance before it dead-ends. Another set of double doors can be seen set into the opposite wall. To the north, the hallway leads to a T-intersection with branches leading to the west and to the east - and to the entire party's surprise, they can see a faint light emanating from this direction!

Perception (DC 20):

Yet another tiny-sized hole can be seen in the baseboards in this hallway. From the placement, you'd guess that it leads into the room at the southern end of the hallway.

____________

Your GM realizes that her map-covering skills need a bit of work, so feel free to ask if anything about the map or my descriptions of direction seem confusing :)

Liberty's Edge

Male Chelaxian Human Cleric/1 (HP 7/8 (1NL) | AC:17 T:11 FF:16 | CMB:+2 CMD:13 | F:+2 R:+1 W:+5 (+2 vs Fear) | Init:+1 | Perc:+4 Normal | Move:30ft) | Mwk Morningstar +3 (1d8+2/20x2) | CPE DC14 6/6 HotA 5/6 VoM 6/6
Skills:
Acro -2 Appr +0 Bluff +1 Climb -1 Diplo +3 Escape Artist -2 Fly -2 Heal +3 Intim +3 Knowledge (Hist) +5 (Planes) +5 Perc +4 Ride -2 SM +3 SC +4 Stealth -2 Surv +3 Swim -1
Current effects: Shaken: –2 Attack, Save, Skills, Abilities; Magic Weapon Morningstar +1 Attack/Damage; Inspire Rage: +2 STR/CON, +1 Will, -1 AC, no spellcasting or concentration, limited DEX/CHA skills

Perception DC20: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Herald pushes into the corridor.

More supernatural candles? Or something more sinister?

Grand Lodge

NG Male Human Skald 1 | hp 10/10 | AC 16 /12T/ 14FF | Init +2 | Fort +3 Ref +2 Will +1 | spells: 1st- 2/2 | raging song: 11/11 | Spd 30' | Perc. +3 | Conditions: None

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Hakon follows The Herald into the hallway. "Could it be something has made its home here? If it is friendly, it might show us to the study."

1 to 50 of 90 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM 101 - Ladile's Manor (Phantom Phenomena) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.