Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

For use new at this: Hollow's Last Hope

Game Master CaptMadJaq


51 to 76 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Male Human Paladin 1

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

"Thats a nasty cough. You've been out in this weather too long. Lets try to get you warmed up and feeling better. Then we'll get this whole thing sorted out."

Heal Check:

Heal check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure how this may or may not work. But can I do a heal check to determine the severity of a cough?


Hadassah perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Hadassah whispers to Virgil, "Careful, they may have the plague..."

Persephone Perception (DC 20): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (8) + 15 = 23


Male Human Druid 1

perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

to Hadassah:
I'm fine to receive guidance

"Your assistance is most welcome, Hadassah. If you get inside while I work from out here, and just check that the tarpaulin is hanging correctly and we don't have any leaks." Gill gets to work, while Hadassah whispers something to her companion. Before long, however, Gill is distracted by the wracking cough of the eldest child.

"That's a nasty cough you have there, child. Where'd you be getting a thing like that, then?"
possible heal check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
"It sure don't sound like you been just out in the rain too long."

Spoiler:
Yup, following Virgil's lead with the heal check...


"Here, let's get started n the shelter, I don't think we should stay in the same place they sleep.. They were coughing up blood. I think we need to get them dry, warm, and fed and then to a healer as fast as possible."

Casting Guidance on Gill for attempt to fix the shelter, once the children on their way in, I will be keeping watch with Persephone in the woods, after all I am a coward at heart.


@CaptMadJaq

Spoiler:
I assume it is common knowledge not to hang out with sick people, and that coughing up blood and what not is a bad sign.


sick:
Hadassah, you're right. Her three big coughs had her bent over, so whatever she has is pretty hard.

Virgil and Gil, you can guess she has an infection in her lungs, and it could be severe bronchitis or pneumonia. Hacking up blood isn't uncommon for either of those. However, what she coughed up was black and her brother may have it too. He's coughing, but not nearly as hard.

The three children stay silent and do as you say. Slowly they sit close, around the fire. The girl, still clutching her baby brother, slowly begins to rock. None of them speak, but the boy eventually leans against his older sister's shoulder.


CaptMadJaq:
] Hadassah and Persephone are going to try and hunt up something to feed the kids. It also keeps Persephone and Hadassah out of camp, which is a good thing because Persephone seems to scare children. We will not be over 100 yards apart, and not venturing more than a quarter mile away from camp. We are not good at survival, so will be relying on perception to find our way back. I figure we need some kind of line of sight to smoke, or to the sounds of camp, or whatever. We will be back in less than two hours.

Persephone Stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32
Persephone Survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 (+1 aid another from Hadassah)

Hadassah Stealth: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22
Hadassah is not making a survival roll, she is assisting Persephone.

Via Message Spell to both Gill and Virgil
I am heading out with Persephone to try and find some food for the kids, I only have breakfast and lunch left for rations, and I think they could do well to be away from Persephone, atleast for now. If I am not back soon, please come looking. I have a signal whistle I will blow if I come across trouble."
DC 25 Perception for children to overhear, per the spell, found [HERE].


Male Human Paladin 1

with the children finally calming down and settling in by the fire, Virgil keeping an even tone in his voice tries to get some answers from the children.

"Can you tell us why you are out here alone? Where are your parents?"

"How long have you been sick?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11


Hadassah and Persephone leave the tent. The children don't seem to notice, and the three children seem hesitant in answering Virgilante's question. The girl simply stares into the fire still rocking, but her brother looks up at the paladin and then to her sister. Seeing that she was quiet and not even making eye contact he decided to speak up.

"A lot of people are sick at Falcon's Hollow." The boy said. "That's why we're out here. Mom took us away to keep us safe." At that the little girl clutched her baby brother even closer and began to cry again, coughing in between sobs. The boy lowered his eyes and continued.
"Dad died nine months ago at the lumber consortium. There was an accident and....Mom, she's still out there. She sent us ahead."

You are south of Falcon's Hollow, so they went the wrong way, if they were moving further south away from the town.

Hadassah:

Not knowing if you've read the module, but these three kids aren't in it. They're of my design as a hook to pull you to Falcon's Hollow and set the mood on the situation there.

Hadassah, to keep things moving, you will stumble upon a person in the forest. It's a woman and she's sitting with her back against a large rock. She's recently deceased; her lips are black and the front of her blouse is stained the same color. On her right, under her hand, is a light brown leather satchel.


Male Human Druid 1

I'm wondering if there is likely to be anything nearby which could be used to treat the symptoms, at least? Otherwise I'm happy to see that Virgil has this situation in hand, I don't see much to add.


[spoiler=@CaptMadJaq]

I have not read the module. Hadassah is just a coward... and of all the things to be afraid of from a historical perspective, a plague rates as number 1.

"Persephone, you can't get sick can you? Go, check that woman, and see if there is anything useful in the satchel. I hope she isn't the children's mother..."

Once Hadassah has had a chance to realize that the kids and potentially others will need help, she will head back to camp, with anything of use in hand. However, she is not going to be keen on hanging out with the plague bearers ... err.... children


Male Human Paladin 1

I admit I'm struggling a little bit at this part. While I realize the objective is to go to Falcon's Hollow, these kids are clearly running away from it. Its not like they seem to have been sent to find help, but rather escaping. I don't want to get too wrapped up in the kids escaping, but am looking for a reason to go to town. Maybe the discovery of the body is just what we need.

"When did you last see your mom? How long have you been wandering alone?"

"Gill over there has been sensing some troubles in your town, how long have people been getting sick?"


Male Human Druid 1

"It seems whatever these children have run away from has already caught up with them, Virgil. My preference, as I'm sure you guess, is to make directly for Falcon's Hollow and find out what is really happening there. I will take some convincing to abandon this course. The arrival of these children presents us with something of a quandary, but we should seriously consider taking them with us."

Gill ponders his next words for a moment, then continues with confidence.

"Taking them to another town only risks spreading the disease further, whereas returning to their home we would likely find a friend or relative willing to take care of them. We should view this option as a sensible one. These children are not so old as to take decisions such as these. It is our responsibility to see them safe, but not at the risk of infecting another settlement."


Male Human Paladin 1

We certainly can't simple leave this children unattended, and they would be lost anywhere other then there home. I agree, we should set out to Falcon's Hollow at first light and bring the children. Its probably the best chance at finding their mother once they became separated.

At this point, since Hadassah hasn't returned yet, I'm still assuming that Virgil does not yet know the fate of their mother

I'm sure Hadassah will agree, for the protection of the children, we'll head into town.


Hadassah, you will find in that satchel some spare shirts, 900 GP, and a journal. At the very bottom there's a bottle with some trace amounts of liquid inside. It smells like some kind of stinky tea and alcohol. It's cough medicine, essentially. Anyone with ranks in how to make it or use it will know what it is right away. And on the label it reads, "Roots and Remedies".

The girl then looks to Virgil, and spoke in a tone slightly more than a whisper.

"That's where we are from, Falcon's Hollow. Something got in one of the wells and it made many people very sick. The well was blocked off, but the disease was so horrible..." She looked away and shuddered as she began to cry again. "It...our mom! She took us away so we didn't have to see it and be safe. But, there are so many yet infected! She....she...¬sniffle!¬"


Now Virgil and Gil, you now should have the impression that the disease is not air-born and there are many more people sick.

Hadassah, it's a horrible sight. Whatever had killed the woman, it looks like it liquefied her insides.


"I am sorry, I found this . . ."
Hadassah hands Virgil a satchel containing some shirts and 900 gold coins.
"There was also a journal, I want to read it over and see if it gives us any hints. At any rate, I think we had better break camp soon and head to Falcon's Hollow. I think they may need help.
I will spend the remainder of the night studying the journal. In the morning, I hope we can strike camp and make for Falcon's Hollow


Male Human Druid 1

"Let's try to get some rest, and make for Falcon's Hollow first thing in the morning. Children, take my bedroll and make yourselves as comfortable as you can. The fire should keep you warm, at least." After making the final adjustments to the battered shelter, Gill heats some water over the fire and scrounges a few dried herbs from his pack.

"Drink this, it should help soothe the cough, I hope."

I'm intrigued about what Hadassah discovers by reading the journal, but I won't disturb her until she seems ready with it. If the children can't sleep I'll see if I can rustle up something else by the way of natural remedy. I'm ready to lead this rough and ready group to Falcon's Hollow as soon as the sun comes up.

"What does that label say? Hmmm, 'Roots and Remedies'. It sounds like a shop, or perhaps a trader. I suggest we ask about at Falcon's Hollow, see if anyone knows what or who it is. It would seem that they might be able to give us some insight into what plagues these children, and the other residents."


(Here, we'll stop still Virgilante is back from his vacay!) :)


Well, I think we are all in agreement that we are headed to Falcon's Hollow, so I suppose we are at rest until you (CaptMadJaq) get back to us with any surprise encounters or with our arrival in town!


The storm did the world some good giving the ground a good soaking. It did make travelling during the morning slightly uncomfortable because the ground was so soft, but once the sun dried it up it was easy. The children had helped you take down the camp and cook breakfast.
The children are not pleased about going to Falcon's Hollow, for feelings they can't express yet. As adults you have an idea why. They're orphans now, scared and from your first impressions of the city you can see why. People here are somewhat skeptical and greedy. Any good deeds you do are looked at with skepticism.

Falcon's Hollow is a Neutral Evil town. The people here have this sense of that you can't get anything for nothing. That's why they give 'good' funny looks. and why the children weren't terribly forthcoming with you. The town's economy is in the lumber industry, which makes sense since to the North is the Darkmoon Vale, a very fairly sized forest. The town holds about 1200 people, and it's brimming with gossipers.

If you have any further questions let me know. :) I do have some additional information about the town the module doesn't cover.


Male Human Paladin 1

It doesn't take a detect evil spell to tell Virgil that he is not exactly among friends as he enters the town. His natural aura of good seems to turn a few heads of the people resulting in some strange looks.

"Who is in charge of this town?" Virgil asks the children.

Hopefully somebody can tell us what is going on here, and help these children.


"Thaldrin Kreed is the closest thing to a leader we have. And nobody really likes him." the girl said. "He's probably not here anyway and is up north in the woods chopping wood."

want more information you can make a knowledge local check. Perhaps you heard hi name before or you decide to chat with some of the people.


"I think we should head to the alchemist's shop. It is the only hint we have at the moment."
was any information contained in the journal?


Male Human Druid 1

If I don't have knowledge (local) trained can I skill make a check? PFSRD seems to indicate that I can't...

Having finally arrived at the less-than-welcoming lumber town, Gill quickly sets about tracking down Torix, his loyal owl. It doesn't take long.

"There you are, girl. It seems there are strange tidings in these parts. Tell me, have you found anything interesting nearby?"

Gill addresses his companions.

"I suggest we look for any local healers, alchemists, or the like. If people have been dying, someone will have tried to treat them. Maybe they can help us get to the bottom of this. And we should have a discussion about what to do with these children. I know they have suffered a tragedy, but we can't drag them behind us forever. Sometimes hard choices are required. What do you two think?"


"We found this bottle," says Hadassah, handing the vial to Virgil and Gill, "with the dead woman's gear, if you recall." On the label it reads, "Roots and Remedies". "I suggest we start there."


Male Human Druid 1

So, it looks like we're agreed, then? Head to Roots and Remedies, and look into the contents of the bottle, the children and their mother, and anything else they might know there about the disease. Hopefully we'll hear from CaptMadJaq soon enough.

51 to 76 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / For use new at this: Hollow's Last Hope All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.