Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

First defence and last stand (Inactive)

Game Master Big OM

Manning the defences of Castle Firrine and surrounding lands in North-western Lastwall.


1 to 50 of 571 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

A bloody cold day

The autumn is finally showing some teeth, a brisk cold wind is blowing from the north as you are marched up waiting for the commander to appear. The close presence to River Esk means that the morning fog still hangs in the air. A middle-aged man walks among the ranks of approximately 20 men pushing and pulling making sure everyone is in their place. He mostly resembles a dwarf in stature and physic. Shorter than most around 1.65 m and with salt and pepper beard and hair, the first long and the later short the mistake is understandable. A young dwarf makes it and regrets as the man scolds him like a child.

A single trumpet sound breaking the monolog of the man, who commands: ”Attention… I said shut your gaps the captain is here.”

A thin man walks out from one of the doorways, where he was waiting. He is clad in battered plate armour and from his shoulders hangs a red cape with small gold embroideries signifying his rank as captain and commander of the castle. He raises his voice in the silent courtyard. ”Good morning everyone and welcome to Castle Firrine. I am Capt. Gabraon Gauntwood, commander of the castle. Your duties here are clear protect this region and the people living here while at the same time stemming the tides of Belkzen. Do this well and our time together here will be smooth.” He paused and looks at the group gathered and continues: ”I am going to turn you over to Sergeant Major Graymoor, Sergeant Major.” and walks off.

The little man spring into action: ”Thank you sir.” He walks to the front of the gathered men and thunders: ”As the capt. said I’m Sgt. Major Graymoor. I oversee the daily defence of the castle and land. That means I decide what you do here. If you do what I say we’ll get along fine for the crusade. You’re all new here and this is no Calistrian love temple, so buy Gorum keep your weapons sharp and handy and you might survive this. “ He stops speaking allowing his words to sink in.

He pulls a list from pocket in his uniform and continues: ”First group up for morning patrols: Paschal, Garethka, Baccus, Voldniq and Wright. Go see Sgt. Wall over there. “ he points to an average man who steps forwards and raises his hand. ”All right crusaders break up and get going. ”

So there is the beginning. Sorry about the delay. Can anyone suggest good tool to make battlemaps and city maps?”


Sir Gerard Paschal is dressed impeccably this morning. He's wrapped in a thick purple woolen cloak to ward him against the cold, and his banded mail armor is polished to a sheen. On his back is a large round wooden shield, painted white with the longsword symbol of Iomedae in the middle. His belt is balanced with a longsword on one hip and a mace on the other. Under his armor he wears a padded woolen doublet and breeches. His boots are knee high black leather. Upon hearing his name called he steps out of line and makes his way over to Sergeant Wall. Giving him a smile he says, "Paschal, reporting for patrol."


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1, Init +3, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3, 17 AC, 14 Touch, 13 FF, Rapier +3 (1d6+2)

Darius jumps at the sound of his name being called. A field mission? Why would milord send me on that?

Darius is wearing a brown overcoat that goes down to his thighs. The large collar on his coat opens up to show an off-white dress shirt, and a little bit of a chainshirt. His pants are a darker brown than his coat. He wears boots that go up to the middle of his shin, and are made of leather. His rapier is resting gently on his side in its sheath. His hair has two small braids on either side of his head going down across his chest, and one large braid going along his back.

Darius walks up to the sergeant major slowly, saying "You called for Wright, yes?"


Gerard looks over Darius and smiles. "Good morning, I'm Gerard." he says offering his hand. Handsome fellow...


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1, Init +3, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3, 17 AC, 14 Touch, 13 FF, Rapier +3 (1d6+2)

"Greetings, my name is Darius. Pleased to make your aquaintence." Darius says with a small bow. He then accepts Gerard's hand for a handshake.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Druid 1

Vaslo walks quietly over to Sgt Hall, the hood on his long bron cloak down as if he is proud to display the terrible scars that mar his face. His clothes are dirty, as if they haven't been washed in weeks. Behind Vaslo is a alarming sight. A lion pads quietly forward, head down and posture relaxed. Vaslo nods his head in greeting. "Vaslo Garethka reporting sir...

Seeing his patrol companions, Vaslo nods in greeting again. "I am Vaslo.... and this is Zeke"he says motioning to the lion.


Darius, do you meant sergeant major Graymoor or sergeant Wall? I just want to be sure before responding.

Sergeant Wall is a man of Taldan decent with grey eyes and brown hair a couple of inches shorter than Sir Gerard. He speaks with a pleasant baritone voice: "Good Paschal, step over here and wait for the others," gesturing towards a spot to his immediately right.


At the sight of the lion Sgt. Wall takes a deep breath. "Listen up everyone, this is not an inn where you walk and talk as you please. Get in line shut up and wait. Garethka get that cat of yours behind you now."


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1, Init +3, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3, 17 AC, 14 Touch, 13 FF, Rapier +3 (1d6+2)

Sergeant Wall. Isn't that who we're reporting to?

"We don't get Elves much around these parts. Its nice to meet you Vaslo... Darius takes a step back ... and Zeke."


"The pleasure's all mine." Gerard nods in greeting to Vaslo and says, "Gerard." he walks over near Zeke and looking at him asks "May I?" holding out his hand as if offering to scratch behind his ears.


At the scolding from the Sergeant he withdraws his hand hastily and stands in line at attention. Sh*t. Already messing up.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Druid 1

Vaslo nods at everyone before being scoled by Sgt Wall. " Zeke... here" He says in Elven. Zeke obeys loyally, and Vaslo stands casually, not quite sure how to stand at attention.


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1, Init +3, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3, 17 AC, 14 Touch, 13 FF, Rapier +3 (1d6+2)

Darius stands in the line with everyone else.


"Thats better" the sergeant mumbles as people begin getting in line.

He step out in front of the 3 who are all ready there. "Let me make one thing perfectly clear here. This dangerous land to the west the Belkzen and its orc hordes, to the north Ghostlight March, which even the orcs fear. You are on the crusades now shape up."

"Now to answer your question Wright, yes you were called."

Sczarni

Male Half-Orc Barbarian (Sea Reaver) 2 AC -4/10/14 (all down 2 when raging) Saves-5(6 raging)/1/-1(1 raging) Perception-4 Init-2

"Oh now orcs fear very little, let me tell you" A broad, suprisingly handsome half-orc walks up. He has a hide shirt on that cuts off at his shoulders, long pants slightly darker, a large wickedly curved falchion at his waist which matches the gaudy rings on his fingers. On top of it all he has a large feathered hat. After he announces his presence he has a lopsided smile and walks directly to the man in charge, spits in his hand and offers it "Captain Baccus, reporting fer duty"


Male Human Cavalier Order of the Star/ Stalwart Defender

Reporting in Sergeant Sir Voldniq says with a salute and stands at attention.


As the two last men have reported in sgt. Wall says:"Good now your all here look around these men will be your squadmates during your tour with us." He pauses and firmly adds:"While you're here, you're crusaders, not sir, captain, your highness or whatever title you held before. Title are earned in these lands." Letting his words sink in he stops talking and walks along the line you formed inspecting each and everyone of you, "Tomorrow at the break of dawn we leave on your first patrol. One of the hamlets didn't arrive for market this morning, so we're visiting them." He turns on his heel and begins walking "Follow me."

Sgt. Wall wakes you across the yards towards what you later learns is the baracks for the crusaders and private of the standing force. In the stone house he takes you to a large room where beds are lined up in rows. "These beds will be yours, There are stables outside if you are lucky enough to have a horse." He looks at Zeke and adds: "That creature better be trained and is not sleeping in the stables, you'll have to fine room for him here." He walks away and about three steps away from you turns and says: "Three little pieces of advice don't be late, be proper dressed for the assignment and get to know each other, your life my depend on it. Tomorrow at dawn crusaders." Then he walks away leaving you with the rest of the day.

At some point I'll have a map of Castle Firrine for you.

Sczarni

Male Half-Orc Barbarian (Sea Reaver) 2 AC -4/10/14 (all down 2 when raging) Saves-5(6 raging)/1/-1(1 raging) Perception-4 Init-2

hahaha can't believe logen got away with just a little comment Logen takes a long look around the room, then examines each of his new 'squadmates'. Damn, only one that doesn't look stuck up as a nun is the druid, and he's a bloody elf... he hacks and spits, then says "Well he's got one thing right, we need to get to know each other. I ain't getting into a scrap without knowing who's watching my back" he grins and puts his hand on his falchion "My favorite way to find out a mans fighting style is to experience it" he says, giving a challenging look


Male Human Cavalier Order of the Star/ Stalwart Defender

I am Sir Voldniq, protector of Iomedae's chosen. He says while grooming his steed. We should save our strength for tommorow friend, I am sure there will be plenty of things to test us in the morning. I pray that we are not to late to be of some good to the people of this hamlet


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1, Init +3, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3, 17 AC, 14 Touch, 13 FF, Rapier +3 (1d6+2)

"I'm D.. Darius Wright. The C.. Court Scribe. I've dueled a few people though." says Darius, obviously nervous.


"Greetings Sir Voldniq, I too am a knight in service of our Lady of the Blade. My name is Gerard Paschal." Gerard says, offering his hand to Sir Voldniq. "I hope your prayers are answered, but no word is usually not good word." he continues, looking worried. I wonder, orcs or undead....or both? Turning to Logen he says, "Save your bravado for the enemy Logen. After we got yelled at for talking, I seriously doubt it would be acceptable to start fighting each other in the courtyard. If however you can turn up some practice blades, I would be happy to warm up with you in the morning."

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Druid 1

Vaslo cocks his head to the side watching the exchange. "Zeke will not be a issue" He then turns to his comrades, face free of emotion. "I am Vaslo Garethka. I was until recently, a member of a druids conclave to the south in Nirmathas.
He does not respond to 'Captain Bacchus' and instead runs his hand over Zekes head, the lion rumbling forth something in beween a purr and a roar.


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1, Init +3, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3, 17 AC, 14 Touch, 13 FF, Rapier +3 (1d6+2)

Darius stares at the large cat, thinking I don't know which is worse, having to fight orcs or having to sleep next to that cat.

Sczarni

Male Half-Orc Barbarian (Sea Reaver) 2 AC -4/10/14 (all down 2 when raging) Saves-5(6 raging)/1/-1(1 raging) Perception-4 Init-2

Hmm, man makes a point Logen folds his arms "Aye I gotcha, can't say I've never had an accident while sparring with real blades. Tho I remember breaking an arm once with a practice one. Morning spar it is" he looks over at the lion"That's a magnificent beast, s'pose it'd be dumb of me to ask if it's trained"


Male Human Cavalier Order of the Star/ Stalwart Defender

Sir Voldniq meets Sir Gerard's hand in embrace Good to have you with us brother. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6 Knowledge Religion I am not familar with the Druids of Nirmathas, are lions a common sight in that region?

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Druid 1

Vaslo shakes his head, "Zeke is special. I found him when I journeyed out away from Nirmathas. He was just a lone cub then. he's grown obviously. " Vaslo grows quiet and looks away, clearly uncomfortable with talking about his history.

Sczarni

Male Half-Orc Barbarian (Sea Reaver) 2 AC -4/10/14 (all down 2 when raging) Saves-5(6 raging)/1/-1(1 raging) Perception-4 Init-2

Logen gives a long, piercing stare at Vaslo. Cant prod and expect them not to "Well whatever the story is, he's a damn fine beast" Logen shifts his shoulders around, takes another glance at the room "Well we got a whole bloody day to do things so I ain't sittin here. I'm gonna go spar with somebody, love ta see ya guys there so I could see yer style" Logen walks out and towards the sparring grounds


Male Human Cavalier Order of the Star/ Stalwart Defender

Sir Voldniq will finish grooming his horse and will give his armor and sword a quick polish and care befor bed. Then he will pray for the people of the missing hamlet.


Gerard will explore Castle Firrene thoroughly, noting the various entrances and exits from the different buildings and the defensive features. After he is done with that he will oil his armor and blade, and then read the Acts of Iomedae until it's bedtime.

Sczarni

Male Half-Orc Barbarian (Sea Reaver) 2 AC -4/10/14 (all down 2 when raging) Saves-5(6 raging)/1/-1(1 raging) Perception-4 Init-2

Logen spars a little with anybody at the training grounds, trying not to stick out too much. He more keeps in shape then full out fights. How close are we to the sea here?

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Druid 1

Vaslo and Zeke explore the area, commiting the layout to memory. They will then spend time in their room, resting for the morning patrol.


Hundreds and hundreds of miles from the sea. But Lake Encarthan is pretty close, that's the largest freshwater lake in Avistan.

Map of Golarion

We're in Firrine in Lastwall. North half of the map, near the middle.


The next morning
Even before the first rays of the sun have crept above the horizon, sgt. Wall stands in the sleeping quarters ushering those out of bed who haven’t done so by themselves. You are not given much time for personal hygiene and breakfast. As he said, if you wanted time for that you should have woken earlier.

In the courtyard everything seams silent, the castle is still sleeping. This morning is much like yesterday only colder, however the wind from yesterday has died out. You are lined up outside your quarters as sgt. wall is inspecting what you’re bringing along. ”I said good morning crusaders, time to grow some eyes now. As we’re heading out on a day long patrol let me see what you’re bringing with you.”

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Druid 1

Vaslo has everything from his gear list on him
Vaslo's yawn is outdone by Zeke as they wake up early in the morning and prepare fot he journey. Whe Sgt Wall appears, Vaslo simply nods and grabs his backpack and weapons and walks with Zeke down into the courtyard. He places his gear on the ground for Sgt Wall to inspect. Zeke lays down next to the gear as if to say "He's bringing me to".

Sczarni

Male Half-Orc Barbarian (Sea Reaver) 2 AC -4/10/14 (all down 2 when raging) Saves-5(6 raging)/1/-1(1 raging) Perception-4 Init-2

Logen gets up pretty quickly, as he's used to odd sleep schedules from sailing. He does a few practice moves to get loose from the cold weather and packs his things. He is still wearing nothing but pants and a cutoff hide shirt, but he has put his hat in his bag. He has some trail rations, a few daggers, his falchion, and an amulet of gorum around his neck. The other day he hid it because people tend to be sketchy towards Gorum, but with crusaders commenting about him he'd figure he'd wear it openly. Logen quickly walks up to the front and the man in charge "Cap...Logen Baccus. I'm a pretty decent scout, and if we run into some orcs they'd be a little less likely to hamstring me"


Male Human Cavalier Order of the Star/ Stalwart Defender

Good morning all Sir Voldniq says plainly then prepares his gear for the inspection.


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1, Init +3, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3, 17 AC, 14 Touch, 13 FF, Rapier +3 (1d6+2)

Darius wakes up tired. He isn't used to being awaikened in such a manner. He is still set uneasy by the gruffness of Logen and the large cat that he is to work with.

His items are under Possesions.


Gerard unfastens his cloak, today a simple brown and green affair, and lays it on the ground. On top of it he sets his weapons, shield, a signal whistle, 50' of silken rope and a compass. As the Sergeant inspects their gear, he nods a silent morning greeting to each of his companions, giving them a smile.

All my gear is listed in the alias.


Sgt. Wall walks among your displayed items "It might be a bit much to bring but you're carrying it yourself. Those of you that have mounts feel free to use them, the rest walk. Crusaders move out!"

With those words he indicates it's time to get your things together and begin walking. You exit through a door in gate, as the main gate isn't open yet. After clearing the castle you begin walking, for those familiar with navigation or who bought a compass it is roughly northwest.

You walk almost parallel with River Esk putting more and more distance between you, Castle Firrine and the rolling hills behind it.

After three hours of walking sgt. Wall stops Time to get some food and water. I need a scout for the next part of the patrol who's up?


Male Human Cavalier Order of the Star/ Stalwart Defender

Sir Voldniq will travel mounted.
I can be quick with my mount, but I am not a very good tracker to be honest. Depending on what you require I could be of assistance Sgt.


"I am neither particularly stealthy, nor overly observant. But at least I'm honest!" Gerard says with a winning smile.


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1, Init +3, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3, 17 AC, 14 Touch, 13 FF, Rapier +3 (1d6+2)

"Please don't pick me. Please don't pick me. Please don't pick me." Darius says under his breath.

Sczarni

Male Half-Orc Barbarian (Sea Reaver) 2 AC -4/10/14 (all down 2 when raging) Saves-5(6 raging)/1/-1(1 raging) Perception-4 Init-2

i said something about scouting in my previous post Logen grins "Aye, i'll be your man fer that. I can stay decently quiet and am observant, however I don't know a lot about forests and the like, so i'll be spending quite a bit of my time in that river there. Plus as a bonus, if i get caught by orcs they might be a little less likely to hamstring me." Logen turns to Voldniq "Carry my stuff while I'm gone, don't care to get everything wet then have it freeze in this blasted weather"

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Druid 1

Vaslo kneels to scrath Zeke behind the ear and nods. "I do not have any patciular skill in silence, though I can be quiet when the need arises. I am however very observant, I wouldn't bet for much to slip by me or Zeke."

Sczarni

Male Half-Orc Barbarian (Sea Reaver) 2 AC -4/10/14 (all down 2 when raging) Saves-5(6 raging)/1/-1(1 raging) Perception-4 Init-2

Logen looks at Vaslo "I can admit druids know quite a bit more about me when it comes to the wilderness. Whaddya say captain, 2 man job?"


Male Human Cavalier Order of the Star/ Stalwart Defender

I have some room in my saddlebags for a bit of gear I suppose. Good luck


Male Human Arcane Duelist 1, Init +3, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3, 17 AC, 14 Touch, 13 FF, Rapier +3 (1d6+2)

"We'll see you when you get back."


"It's sgt., Baccus not capt." Sgt. Wall corrects Logen and continues: "Well the Baccus and Garethka you're up. I need you to move out ahead of the rest of us. We''l continue to keep the river on our right and at some point we'll hit a cluster of small hills behind those lays the village." He looks around at the group, "Chew your last bite and get ready, we're moving on."

You set out after this short rest Logen, Vaslo and Zeke walking a good 50m ahead of the rest. The land hasn't changed much, perhaps it's becoming more damp, but you could just be imagining it. Looking up river you can just make out the beginning of what most be Ghostlight Marsh a you close in on the hills sgt. Wall talked about.

Stealth checks:

Logen: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Vaslo: 1d20 + 3 - 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 - 3 = 19
Zeke: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

The three scouts head up the hill, as you all drop down just before the ridge, you can hear noise from fighting. Peaking above the ridge you you see a small band of 4 maybe 5 small creatures and a grotesque looking dog like creature besieging the largest house in the hamlet. You see no humans.

Knowledge Nature:

Logen,untrained: 1d20 ⇒ 11
Vaslo: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Logen:

You are certain that the small creatures are goblins. But you don't know much more than that.

Sczarni

Male Half-Orc Barbarian (Sea Reaver) 2 AC -4/10/14 (all down 2 when raging) Saves-5(6 raging)/1/-1(1 raging) Perception-4 Init-2

Logen grimaces at the sight "Bloody hell, we're gonna have ta help em. Ya probably move faster than me, I'll see if I can scare some off or at least slow em down, you go back to tell the sgt" Logen takes out his falchion and starts walking up to the goblins and dog-like thing. He gets up there as fast as he can, and tries to go around the back so he can get into the hamlet to talk to the defenders.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Druid 1

Vaslo Nods, " I will move swiftly, but that does not mean I can't leave a little aid behind....."
In elven:"Zeke guard that one" Vaslo then spreads out his hands, chanting civine words as green energy surrounds his hands. Casting Entangle on the most concentrated group of creatures... hopefully with the dog looking thing
Vaslo then turns and runs as swiftly as he can, back to their comrades.

1 to 50 of 571 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / First defence, last stand Gameplay thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.