Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

FatKids Zeitgeist Campaign (Inactive)

Game Master broderick

A Play by Post campaign following the Zeitgeist AP from EN World. This is a private campaign, so there will be no open recruitment.


101 to 150 of 151 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Male Human Monk 3

Tane shifts up beside Generic Thug #2 and delivers a quick trip and punch.

FoB attack 1 (Improved Trip): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
FoB attack 2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Tane's hands and feet move with lightning speed as he first sweeps the engine worker's leg and then pummels him with a solid strike to the bridge of his nose. The cracking of bone is heard and blood begins to run down the man's face.

Engine worker 2 is now Prone in the square next to Athame. And we're back to the top of the initiative order.


Female Human Primal Fire Sorcerer 4

Athame watches Molpaedia leap past the workers and grab the elf woman like a farmer grabbing a pig.

She even squealed.

Grinning to herself, she wasn’t mindful of the steel shovel speeding out of the gloom. It catches her high in the chest, gashing a wound across her collarbone. The blow spins her towards her assailant, and a snarl bursts from Athame’s lips.

She reaches for the man, but Tane had already engaged him in some light hand work, causing the stocky man to fall back on his heels. Tane sweeps the leg bearing his weight, and the thug drops to the floor.

Athame hesitates a half beat, to step past his flailing limbs and lets go of the pressure inside. Fire courses through her veins and out her hands in a boiling column of flame. Engulfed in fire, the man’s scream of pain mingles with Athame’s howl of rage.

:
This prevents the Attack of Opportunity for casting next to the enemy.
Defensive Casting Concentration Check: DC 17 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

And Burning Hands to the face.
Burning Hands Damage: 4d4 + 4 ⇒ (2, 3, 1, 3) + 4 = 13
Extra casting level gives me an additional damage die

Even prone the thug gets a reflex save of DC 15 for half damage.
If he makes the save, I’m sure the dirt on his skin, his armor, or years of working next to a boiler protected him in some way.


Just moments after being unceremoniously knocked on his ass, the engine worker has now taken not only an iron fist, but now a searing tornado of flame to the face.

Engine worker 2's Reflex save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Gasping from the pain in his nose, the man inhales at just the wrong moment as fire ravages not only his face, but down his trachea and into his lungs. His eyes bulge one last time before they burst from the heat and this breath proves to be his last.

EW2 is dead. Mol, you're up.


Female Human Fighter/3

I knew full well that going for the elf would mean an attack, and the pain shooting down my neck proves I was right. I tighten my grip on the elf's hair, and swing around ready to deal worker #1 a blow he won't soon forget when flames engulf his friend.

"Mercy!" worker #2 pleads as he drops to his knees. He knows he's outnumbered, and seeing the interior of his friend's face become the exterior has loosened his bowels. For a moment I think perhaps we should keep him alive for questioning, but the moment passes and I lay a blow down on the worker's collarbone with my longsword.

Attack 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Damage 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 x2 = 26

My longsword slices through the worker like a hot knife through butter, and his body slaps down in two pieces onto the engine room floor just as Gavrilo rushes in. His eyes are as big as saucers when he sees the worker sliced in twain, and they just get bigger as his line of sight follows my longsword up to my massive form.


Need to clear up a couple quick points. First, the house rule regarding critical hits. Crits don't deal double damage, they deal the maximum damage for an attack. And the roll to confirm crits has been eliminated. So Molpaedia's attack does 13 damage, not 26.
The second issue requires some story clarification. If Molpaedia wants to keep her Grapple on Sokana, she has to roll for it. The full rules on how Grapple works can be found at this link. However, if she keeps her Grapple on Sokana, her attack must be against Sokana.

Laurie, your options at this point are: 1) Drop the Grapple on Sokana and attack the engine worker. You don't need to reroll anything in this case, but you will want to renarrate the fact that he's not dead, just badly wounded. 2) Roll to keep your Grapple on Sokana and, if successful, you can apply your longsword strike to her. Obviously, you'd want to renarrate that one quite a bit. If you have any questions, just call or e-mail me and I'll get back to you ASAP.


Female Human Fighter/3

I knew full well that going for the elf would mean an attack, and the pain shooting down my neck proves I was right. I tighten my grip on the elf's hair, and swing around ready to deal worker #1 a blow he won't soon forget when flames engulf his friend.

"Mercy!" worker #2 pleads as he drops to his knees. He knows he's outnumbered, and seeing the interior of his friend's face become the exterior has loosened his bowels. I decide perhaps we should keep him alive for questioning, though he probably doesn't know much. Dealing this insignificant peon a blow is not worth losing my prize elf, so I maintain my grip and pin her to the wall.

See the above amazing roll - Sokana is going nowhere. Also, I'm sad the worker is no longer sliced in twain. Someone should remedy that! ;) I should also mention that I'm a first time player, so bear with me while I learn.


Refusing to resign herself to capture, Sokana continues to struggle wildly to free herself from Molpaedia's grasp.

Sokana's combat maneuver check vs Molpaedia's CMD 18: 1d20 ⇒ 11 Sokana now has the "Pinned" condition.

Molpaedia's greater size and strength make Sokana's feeble thrashing seem all the more pathetic.

Seeing that the tide of battle has turned against him, Engine Worker 1 decides to try a new tactic. He races over to the Boiler Relief Valve nearest to him and swings at the control lever with his shovel. Molpaedia is unable to attack him due to her engagement with Sokana.

Engine Worker 1's charge attack vs Relief Valve AC 10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Damage vs Hardness 10: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

The force of the worker's shovel gashes the valve leaving a deep scratch, but not yet completely destroying it.

Tane, you're up next. Gav, please roll for initiative so we can figure out when you get to act in the next round. New map on G+ for everyone.


Male Human Monk 3

Tane watches worker #2 meet his end on the receiving end of Athame's usual fiery charm. Molpaedia seems to have the elf well in hand, but worker #1 makes a suspicious move to one of the valves.

That can't be good.

His target clear, Tane charges the remaining thug to stop him with a Stunning Fist.

Charge: +2 on attack, -2 to AC until next turn.
Stunning Fist: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
DC 12 vs Fort or stunned


Tane's alacrity in moving to intercept him surprises the worker, as does the flying fist that follows.

EW1's Fort save vs Stunning Fist: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Despite the power of the blow, the worker's body resists its not so subtle suggestion to shut down. He grunts on impact, but his eyes remain clear and full of hatred.


Male Dwarf Rogue/3

The Deck of the Coaltongue is controlled chaos as I pick my way through the sailors rushing in response to the Kraken. I duck my head and run at full speed through the crowd and slip into the access corridor that will lead me to the engine room.

Acrobatics check for crowd maneuvers 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20

Not so amazingly all of the corridors are empty. That damn lady and her little elf pet did a great job focusing all the attention on that gods forsaken kraken. I keep my eyes and ears open for trouble as I pump my legs for all they are worth down the corridors and stairs. This is the only time in my life I wish I was a little taller.

Perception Check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

As I near the engine room I slow, draw my axe and enter the room. Even I hadn't expected this!

Molpaedia is so tall she's scraping her head on the ceiling and dangling the elf by her hair. Seems pretty effective, I'll have to remember that one for later. I don't even come up to her knees anymore.

Athame is stanind over a corpse with an exploded head. I need to remember to to piss her off to badly.

And Tane is standing next to someone who looks like they've gone five rounds with a boxer who had a personal grudge against him.

Not sure if I can take a combat action this round. Either way, just let me know when I fit into the initiative order


Gavrilo's initiative roll: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
You'll go after Athame and Molpaedia in this round.


Female Human Primal Fire Sorcerer 4

The flames clear, and the smoking remnants of the worker sizzle at Athame’s feet. She breathes in deeply. Everyone cooks differently. This man has a strong smell of animal fat; probably from the grease used on the engine.

She looks up at the scene around her. Tane had already sprinted to the other worker on the far side of the ship. Efficient, but he’s missing this moment. She takes another deep breath, and exhales it slowly.

The tension of the fight and the day drained out of Athame. Floating on a sea of calm, she walks over to examine the damaged boiler.

Absently, she takes out her Constable’s binding rope and holds it out to Molpaedia while looking at the seam of the firebox door.

:
Do I know anything about those Fire Gems?
Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Knowledge (Planar): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Examine the Engine - Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Molpaedia, you’re doing great. It’s an impressive first D&D game.


Athame's calm demeanor is stark contrast to the chaos around her. As she approaches the boiler, she notices a few salient details. First, the door to the boiler has been partially rusted shut. It will now take a significant amount of force to open the door. Second, the heat emanating from the boiler is dangerously high. Spending more than a few seconds within a few feet of the boiler would likely cause a first degree burn.

Knowledge (Arcana) result:

Spoiler:
Your natural attunement to the element of fire allows you to sense the impending summoning of a fire elemental nearby. The presence of such a creature in the vicinity of all these Fire Gems would be enough to cause a devastating explosion. Due to the size and power of the elemental, you estimate that the summoning will take place within the next two minutes.


Sorry, I whiffed on Gavrilo's Perception check. Gav, in addition to the things you've already noticed, you see that the Engine Alarm Siren (marked S on the map) has been disabled. It appears to have been done hastily, and could likely be fixed with a round or two of effort.


Female Human Fighter/3

The other worker is wounded, and pissed off! Being tossed a rope from Athame, I pull the elf around the corner and out of his line of vision, and swiftly bind the elf by the wrists and knees fastening the rope around my own torso. She can walk if needs be, but not very quickly. I rip off a long strip of my tunic and gag her as well. I'd love to hear what she has to say, so long as it's not another spell used against me or my company.

Tie Up 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3


I know it's technically Gav's turn, but since it's been a couple days, I'm going to keep things moving along.

As Molpaedia works the final knot into the ropes binding Sokana, she finally gives up her struggle. The ferocity leaves her face and she closes her eyes. Sokana's elven whispers are barely audible to Molpaedia, but she is able to make out this refrain.

Spoiler:
"Soul as spark, never extinguished. We have moved on and everything is changed."

The engine worker's eyes flick between the Relief Valve and Tane. The man's breathing has become ragged thanks to the broken rib poking through his shirt. With bared teeth, he howls in pain just before swinging the shovel in an arc toward the valve.

Engine Worker 1's attack vs Relief Valve AC 10:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Damage vs Hardness 4:1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Though this blow is not as hard as the last, the sheared metal of the valve crumples inward. The worker starts to whoop in triumph, only to double over and cough up blood.

The loss of this escape hatch for the heat of the boiler reduces the remaining time left before it explodes by 30 seconds.


Male Dwarf Rogue/3

Sorry about that, I have been studying for an exam and will be for the next couple of months. I might have a few more late posts but I will try to keep up

The alarm is broken, things are not going according to plan. "What plan is that?" I ask myself? "The plan where I don't end up dead trapped in a ship, or eaten by a karken." If I stop to fix the alarm I'll loose time I could spend fixing the engines and lords know nobody else in my group was paying even the slightest attention on the tour. If I don't fix it and I can't fix whatever the sabotage has been, then I might die because of my own stupidness. I might as well play the odds and hope that the alarm will bring someone to the engine room to fix things if I can't make them work.

Fix Alarm:

Not sure if it should be a knowldge check, a use magic item (the alarm could me magical?), or diable device (disable the sabotage)?

Magic Item Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

Knowledge (+3 on engine related check if applies) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

disable Device 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

One the alarm starts to scream out, I turn and hurry to the engine room as fast as I can.


Male Human Monk 3

Tane makes a frustrated face at his own failure to prevent Worker #2 from destroying whatever contraption he was trying to destroy. But finishing the job at the disregard of his own safety demonstrates he must be some kind of extreme fanatic, possibly worth questioning.

FoB Attack #1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
FoB Attack #2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Damage #1: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 (non-lethal)
Damage #2: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 (non-lethal)


Female Human Primal Fire Sorcerer 4

”Kossuth?” Athame whispers. Her eyes come back into focus, and her head snaps up.

Don’t be stupid. Kossuth couldn’t be summoned by this puny fire. No, this is big, but not that big.

Something from the Plane of Fire is coming through the veil. She smiles as her soul pulses to the beat of the flames. That kracken is going to have its tentacles full with my kin.

Athame turns to gloat to the tied up elf, but the insults die on her lips. Next to Molpaedia and Sokana is a giant pile of Fire Gems.

Oh sh*t.

The Ancient tearing its way out of the boiler is going to ignite that mountain of gems like a keg of black powder. The ship will fill with sea water, and 100 tons of steel will drag my brother to Giraldo’s embrace.

Athame’s anger at the injustice of the trap became an inferno. She could feel the building magic of the summoning crackle in the firebox. Her rage mingles with the waves of heat as she gathers all the power she’d gained from the Capacitor. Eye’s alight, the sorceress began to advance on the elf.

She stopped. The Capacitor! It’s designed to siphon off extra energy from the engine. It should leach the energy from the casting like a counterspell. In fact, the spell shouldn’t work at all, she falters with confusion.

Unless the Capacitor is full.

”We have to fire the Brand,” she says to herself. Turning wild eyed to Molpaedia and Tane she screams, ”We have to fire the Brand right now!”

Bolting towards the stairs, Athame shoots by the king and his guards. Taking the stairs two at a time, she almost bowls Gavrilo over.

”Gav! The engine is going to blow. Figure out some way to release the heat or dump the fire gems off the ship.” And she was gone, pelting up the stairs with her red hair billowing.

I’ve got to find Captain Smith. Barring that, I’ll trigger the Brand myself.


”WAAAAWAAAAWAAAAWAAA” Gavrilo’s startled hand nearly rips out the wire he just replaced as the ship’s engine alarm begins to blare, echoing around the ship. The king’s guards start to panic as they realize their plight. Burn, or take their chances in the sea. Only the monarch himself keeps a level head. He sees Gavrilo on his way into the boiler room and yells to his men, ”Find that drunken devilspawn now! If anyone can save this ship it’s…” Before he can finish, Athame flies toward the stairs soaked with sweat but clearly on a mission. ”These crazy f*cking constables.”

Sensing that his target is close to death, Tane opts for a knockout blow. His left-right combination to the chin/temple drops the engine worker unconscious in a bloody, greasy heap.

While combat is now concluded, I’m going to continue keeping track of rounds for a different reason now. I can’t give you the exact figure left, but we’ll call it 15+1d6. Of course, your actions may drastically affect that number. You don’t have to go in any particular order any more, but if you don’t tell me what you’re doing, I have to assume you’re freaking out in a corner somewhere. Athame, it will take you two rounds to reach the top level, so I’ll hold off on narrating that until I know what everyone else is up to. Also, that was some gold star RP, keep it up!


Male Human Monk 3

I don't know what Athame is yelling about, but I think the king is onto something. Although he could have spoken up sooner.

Tane makes a dash up to the deck where he last saw the tiefling, remembering that wand and the freezing glass.


Male Dwarf Rogue/3

I ignore the King and his useless entourage as I walk into the engine. The room is hot and a bloody mess. Not only did half of my help just run up the stairs screaming at me about fixing the engines but when I finally make it into the engine room I find Molpaedia scraping her head against the damn ceiling. She is so huge at this point I only come up to her knees. Of course I know about the damn engines, why does she think I came down here in the first place!

The heat reminds me of the furnaces at home. I shake my head quickly to stop that train of thought. First things first, find out what is wrong with engines and what I can do to keep it from exploding until I can get off this stupid ship.

Knowledge Check Engines 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Perception check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Gavrilo's examination of the boiler yields a few insights. First, since the front door was only partially rusted shut, it could potentially be opened by someone with enough strength. However, doing so would likely subject that individual to a moderate/high amount of fire damage. You also notice a pair of tongs hanging from a hook on the front of the boiler and two shovels laying propped against the far wall.

Lastly, the pipe leading to the destroyed relief valve is beginning to glow a pale orange. You know you can't fix the valve in time, but it may be possible to crack the pipe with a sharp object/weapon and thereby release some of the heat/pressure that is building up. Doing so wouldn't prevent an explosion, but might buy you some additional time.

I'll wait another day or so for Mol, then we'll get to Athame/Tane upstairs. Gav, you don't have to wait to post your next move, since your action only took one round and theirs takes two.


Female Human Fighter/3

I push my elven prize out of the way and holler for Gavrillo to back up as I reach for one of the shovels on the wall. Taking aim at the glowing red release valve, I take a swing at it with the blade of the shovel.

Hit the valve: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


The shovel connects with the red hot pipe with a loud clang.

Damage roll against the pipe:1d6 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

The pipe has a significant dent, but is not punctured by the blow. One more good strike would likely do the trick.

Athame and Tane simultaneously reach the top level of the ship thanks to Tane's greater fitness level. They both see a couple groups of frightened nobles huddled together, along the edge of the ship furthest from where the kraken appeared. Near the area where the band once played, crouches Captain Smith and three of his officers. As you approach, you see that they are tending to the prone figures of Stover Delft and Geoff Massarde. Their low-toned conversation ceases as you walk over.

"Constables, what the hell is going on here? And where is our king?"


Male Dwarf Rogue/3

If I can get the door loose it will relieve enough of the pressure to keep us from blowing up. Even if I do get the damn door loose it will just blow up in my face and light all the fire gems on fire at the same time. That is if I'm dumb enough to open the door while I"m standing in front of it.

"Mol, quit beating on that pipe and either cover the fire gems or getas many of them out of this room as possible."

"Time to fight fire with fire", I mumble to myself as I rummage through my backpack and pull out several small bombs. Enough to blow the door loose but not enough to blow up the entire engine.

Knowledge Check Engines 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Gav, I need some clarification regarding your turn. Are you intending to detonate the bombs right away, or wait until Mol has cleared out some of the fire gems?


Female Human Fighter/3

Tom - He was waiting for me to clear out the gems, but that is dumb, imo. That box is HUGE. There are too many, and not enough time.

I reach back with the shovel, and put my all into whacking the release valve one more time.

Hit the valve: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Damage roll: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Steam comes hissing from the broken pipe.

"Sorry, Gav, but there is no way we're going to get enough gems out to avoid a massive explosion." I drop my giant-sized shield at his feet. "This should block the majority of the fire from directly hitting the gems if you want to try that. I'm going to find the king."

I grab my elven captive and gently shove her toward the door, exiting the engine room and heading upstairs.


Female Human Primal Fire Sorcerer 4

”Captain Smith! We don’t have much time,” Athame hollers while running at a dead sprint, or at least a near enough approximation on the rolling deck.

Skidding to a halt, she glances at the two bodies. Her boss and sponsor for the last month lay on his side. His black walking cane lost in the confusion. Next to the inspector, the genius tiefling sprawled with his head braced at an odd angle by the horns extending from his temple. Neither of them moving much on their own.

I don’t have time for this.

Hauling on the Captain’s shoulder, Athame begins walking Smith towards the command deck. ”Saboteurs are using magic to overload the engines. We need to empty the Capacitor so it can draw off the excess energy.”

”To do that, we need to fire the Brand. More specifically, you need to fire the Brand,” she said while adding emphasis with a squeeze of his arm.

:
Quick check to see if Stover and Geoff are alive - Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Convince Smith to fire the Brand - Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 9 + 2 = 24
The extra +2 was earned in conversation with the Captain earlier this evening.


Male Human Monk 3

Well, I guess I don't need the tiefling, just his wand. I assume Athame can use it just as well.

Tane rudely shoves bystanders out of his way, in order to search the tiefling or the surrounding area for the wand he had earlier.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
(assuming a roll is necessary)


Down in the boiler room

Molpaedia’s second shovel swing lands almost exactly on top of the first. A gash appears in the pipe and a fast-moving jet of boiling steam vents out into the room. The steam causes Molpaedia to suffer a bit of scalding for her trouble, but her sacrifice has a crucial benefit. She takes a point of fire damage, but has now bought the group four additional rounds before the boiler explodes.

The visibility in the room is also affected by the steam, allowing you to see just the five foot radius around you. Despite her size and strength, escorting or carrying her elven captive to the top level will take Molpaedia a total of three rounds, rather than just two.

Gav, just let me know what you’d like to do with your explosives.

Upper level

Athame is nearly breathless by the time she reaches Captain Smith. Despite the burning in her lungs, her senses are still conveying information at a heightened level. She perceives that Massarde and Delft are heavily drugged, with slower than normal breathing, but not dead.
The urgency in her request to Captain Smith leaves him little choice. You see the despair and rage in his eyes as he exclaims, ”Why did I listen to that damnable mage! I told him we should be ready for anything, even on a god forsaken pleasure cruise. If we’d only… sh*t! The brand was never calibrated. It requires attunement with both arcane magic and the forces of nature in order to function. Minister Lee was supposed to do it with the High Priestess next week. I’m afraid Risur’s greatest weapon is just an enormous bauble at this point.”

Tane’s darting eyes find the tip of Massarde’s wand poking out of his jacket pocket. Retrieving it causes the nearest member of the crew to remark, ”Oy there, don’t you ‘ave nothing better to do than pick a fellow’s pocket at a time like this?”


Female Human Primal Fire Sorcerer 4

Athame is relieved Stover continues to carry his mortal coil, but the joy is short lived.

Forces of nature? He must mean some kind of Divine magic. Where in the Undying Pyre
are we going to find a druid who is not trying to sink this ship.

”Captain, are there any magic users in your crew? Any healers, druids, hedge witches, or priests? I can probably handle the arcane portion of the calibration, but we’re going to need a different kind of practitioner to handle the rest.”


Male Human Monk 3

Tane ignores the crew member's remark and grabs the wand, rushing back to stick it directly in Athame's hands.

Athame:
Forget all the nonsense, the wand to freeze fire.


Captain Smith furrows his brow and absentmindedly begins to crack his knuckles. He appears to be making a mental catalog of his crew when his train of thought is abruptly derailed by the arrival of Molpaedia with Sokana bound and slung over her giant shoulder. Gasps of surprise and a few shrieks of terror greet her presence.

"Voice of Rot! Is that the duchess's handmaiden?" Smith exclaims. "Come to think of it, where exactly is the duchess? Is she in league with these saboteurs you spoke of?"


Female Human Primal Fire Sorcerer 4

Tane thrusts a piece of wood into Athame’s hands. She sighs, What now?

”A moment Captain.”

Athame maneuvers herself to a spot where she can place the stick Tane gave her, the Captain, and the folks hovering over Stover in the cone of Detect Magic.

She focuses herself on the wand to mask her examination of the people on deck.

:
Appear to be only looking at the wand - Bluff: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Identify the Wand - Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Athame reaches out into the aether to sense any magical energies nearby. The source resting in her left hand reveals its secrets almost immediately. It is a wand containing around ten more uses of a spell that chills metal. The second source hovers on the periphery of Athame's cone at first, requiring her to turn ever so slightly to the right. Sitting on the deck, radiating fey power, is the elven handmaiden Sokana. As she perceives your efforts, she turns her face away as if the spell is an interrogator's lamp.


Female Human Primal Fire Sorcerer 4

Athame stares at Sokana for a long moment.

She turns to Tane and hands him the wand. ”This is exactly what we’ll need to buy us some more time. Take this to Gavrilo; tell him it’s a wand that will freeze the firebox. It might even weaken the rusted seam enough to open the door.”

”That old dwarf has been around long enough. He ought to be able to figure out how to use it.”

Athame then looks at Sokana, and a slow smile spreads on her lips.

”It seems that Avandra has been able to reach you, even on this world. You may not know her, but in my land she’s the goddess of change and luck. You see, you’ve just had a change of heart. You didn’t mean to sink the ship. You didn’t intend to kill all these innocents,” she said while gesturing to the downed bodies of Delft and Massarde.

The sorceress walks up to the elf, ”And as luck would have it, you’ve been given a chance to turn it all around. You can save the day. All you have to do is help me. Help me fire the Brand, and the cooling waters of redemption will pour through you.”

Standing so close to Sokana that they fill each other’s vision, Athame asks, ”What do you say?”

:
Convince Sokana to help - Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11


Sokana's face remains impassive as she listens to Athame. The furious rage on display in the boiler room has been replaced by zenlike calm. Staring directly into Athame's eyes, she says, "If you are not from this land then you may not know the story of Srasama. 500 years ago, the elven kings set out to reconquer lands that had been stolen by humans. The goddess Srasama fought alongside her children, but after hours of battle, she was slain by the human horde and fire exploded from her body. Our poets refer to that moment as 'the Great Malice,' because Srasama's final act was to lay a curse on her own people for failing her. I was present that day, but not in this body. I am cursed to die in fire a hundred times. Today will be the sixth. So you see, there are no cooling waters for me young one."

She bows her head, but not before Athame sees the tears streaking down her face.


Female Human Primal Fire Sorcerer 4

Athame’s face contorts with rage, ”If you want to die by fire, I can certainly accommodate you!”

She closes her eyes and takes a slow breath. I need her to cooperate willinging, or we’re all going to die in a fiery explosion.

Speaking more softly and evenly, ”Do you see that tiefling over there? His ancestors use to be human. They use to have the most extensive magical knowledge this planet had ever seen. Now, all that’s gone. That is a curse. And yet, Danor has managed to thrive.”

”You, on the other hand, have been given the spark of divinity itself and thousands of years of life to preserve your culture and traditions. How do you use it? You participate in the petty squabbling of politicians. Your little act of terrorism will do nothing to improve the lives of Elves or Elfaivar. What you’ve accomplished here today is the death of hundreds of innocents and to further the goals of some unseen tyrant.”

She leans closer to Sokana, ”Your dead goddess would be so proud.”

:
Convince Sokana to help - Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


Male Dwarf Rogue/3

I shake my head, where the hell have I been? Drifting off into nothing is not a smart thing with a fire box about to explode in front of me and a ship about to sink out from under my feet.

I quickly finish setting the explosives on the rusted door and set a short fuse. Just long enough for me the wrestle the enlarged shield in front of the door that is about to be blown loose. If I'm lucky and I angle the shield I might be able to deflect enough of the explosion away from the fire gems that they won't blow us all to the hells. It should also let off enough pressure to keep the engines from blowing up. If I'm wrong, this is going to be a very short night.

I double check to make sure everything is in place, light the fuse, wrestle the shield into place and start counting down.

explosive will go off at the beginning of the second round from now. Everyone should get one more action and then the explosives will go off


Shame washes over Sokana's countenance as she ponders Athame's challenge. Wiping away the tears from her hot cheeks, she rises to her feet, awkwardly due to her bound condition. "I am many things, but a terrorist is not one of them. Show me how I might aid your cause young one."

Great to have you back Gav. I'm going to give everyone until late this evening to post what they are doing in the round before your explosives go off. If your characters are still on the Material Plane after that... ;)


Female Human Primal Fire Sorcerer 4

Athame sags a little bit, visibly relieved. ”Captain, we’re going to need access to the command deck, specifically the Brand firing station.”

We’ll have to cut her free for her to work some magic. Nothing like gambling it all on someone who was trying to kill us 5 minutes ago.

She smiled slightly, On the bright side, we’ll be as far away from the boiler as possible.


Downstairs

Gavrilo braces his full force behind the shield Molpaedia left him. Its four feet of height and over 90 pounds of weight require a significant portion of the dwarf’s might to hoist in front of him. Mentally counting down from ten in his head, Gavrilo tenses at the last moment.

Gavrilo’s Knowledge check when placing the explosives on the boiler door:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Despite his careful calculation, not all of Gavrilo's explosives detonate. The top part of the boiler door remains intact, but the bottom has been shredded open. Molten firegems begin to leak out of the bottom of the boiler, creating a slowly expanding pool around the boiler. Any attempt to get close to the boiler at this point would result in a significant and potentially fatal amount of fire damage. The firegems scattered around the floor of the engine room are now an imminent hazard as well. The heat of the slag escaping the boiler ignites the firegems within five feet of it. Though his shield protected him from a few shards of shrapnel, Gavrilo quickly realizes that only a painful, fiery doom awaits anyone foolish enough to remain in this room.

I've posted a map of the boiler room on G+. Remember that due to the steam caused by Molpaedia's destruction of the relief valve, you can only move safely at half speed. The squares covered by the lava deal 3d6 fire damage. The squares immediately surrounding the lava deal 1d6 based on the floor igniting. The lava will continue to spread throughout the room. The door out is now also shown.

Tane's frantic run down to the engine room concludes just as the boiler pops. He opens the door, but cannot see exactly what has transpired due to the steam. He can however, feel the increased heat in the room and hear the firegems beginning to ignite.

Upstairs

As the Captain begins leading Athame toward the Brand, Molpaedia quickly cuts Sokana's bonds. Sokana pauses a moment and reaches over to grasp her enlarged hand. "You could have slain me down below with a single thrust. Dying outside of fire's embrace would have condemned me to wander the underworld for ten lifetimes before returning to my cursed existence. I have no words to thank you for sparing me that torment. Whether we perish or not, I would have you at my side, if you would do me the honor."

Returning to the Brand and its capacitor causes an involuntary shiver to pass through Athame. She nearly misses the beginning of the Captain's explanation due to the rush of arcane power.

"If I understood Massarde's blueprint, the calibration of the Brand requires one of you at the red dipole and the other at the green. Beyond that, I'm afraid it will be up to you and the elf to discern what is needed. I wish I could be a greater help, but my responsibility was supposed to be choosing targets, not sparking the gun."

Calibrating the brand will require three successful DC 15 Knowledge: Arcana checks in five attempts. If you successfully complete your calibration attempts, I will handle the rolls for Sokana. If you fail, it might be time to start thinking about getting the f*ck off this ship.


Female Human Primal Fire Sorcerer 4

Athame’s hands are sweating and her mouth is dry. Why does the body waste water that the mouth so clearly needs? Wiping her hands on her pants, she stares intently at the intricately etched deck.

A band of runes runs in an unbroken line forming three circles. The center circle encloses a pedestal of solid polished metal. It rises 5 feet from the floor, bowing inward at its narrowest point roughly a foot from the top. An impression of a hand is sunk into each side like someone of incredible strength had attempted to crush it flat.

Well, it’s painfully obvious how to fire it.

”Captain, please stand in the center circle. I’ll tell you when to put your hands in the impressions and fire the Brand. Ideally we would send this power straight into that kracken’s face, but we don’t have time to aim it.”

”Sokana, if you’ll stand in the adjoining circle,” gesturing to the circle written in green Fey runes. Athame took her own place in a circle outlined in red Draconic. Looking across at Sokana, she nodes once and reaches her Will out to the intertwined circles.

In her mind’s eye she could see the vast throbbing orb of power hanging beneath them. It is like she’s standing on a glass platform over a captured star. The ship stands out as a complicated conduit for the power, shaping and directing it towards the bow.

There are two contact points designed to draw power from the capacitor into the brand. However, they’re disconnected from the pool of power, probably for safety while the ship was being built.

Simple enough, we’ll just extend those contacts to the seething mass of power.

Extending her magic suffused Will to the appropriate contact, Athame feels Sokana ‘pick up’ the other. Together they advance the construct to the edge of the pulsating sphere of power. Moving at the same slow pace, they ease the contacts to the very edge of the energy and make contact.

Suddenly the star bulges and engulfs the contact, pulling it deep into the pool of power. The magical construct is torn from Athame’s grip, and wild fracture lines appear throughout the delicate working. Energies race up the structure and Athame’s mental connection. It slams into the glass floor of the protection spells causing a spiderweb of cracks.

Snapping back into the material world, Athame rocks back from the blow. Blood leaks from her nose and eyes as she stumbles out of the circle to her knees.

”Run,” she says weakly. Looking up at the Tane and Molpaedia with a dazed expression she screams, ”Run!!!”

:
Calibrate Brand - Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Calibrate Brand - Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Calibrate Brand - Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Calibrate Brand - Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Calibrate Brand - Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Male Dwarf Rogue/3

That did not work out like I was hoping. Enough messing around of the ship, I'm not dying trapped down here like some hero. I shove the shield over making a bridge for me over the liquid fire gems.

"Damn, I need to get a better job."

I take a couple of steps back, and make a running jump using the shield to spring myself over the liquid death spilling all over the floor.

Acrobatics Check 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24

I land safely on the other side and sprint to the door. I check over my shoulder one more time to get an estimate on when the fire gem storage box is going to get hit by the liquid crystals.
Perception check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

With a shake of my head I break into a full run up the stairs and out of the ship. Maybe I can get far enough away from the engines so when they blow, I will just be flung out to sea. If I'm luckier than I have been the rest of this evening, maybe I can even get blown away from the kraken so I can die by breaking my neck on the water and not become fish food.


Female Human Fighter/3

Judging by the ferocity in Athame's voice, this is serious. I lose no time, and run as far from the brand deck as possible, all the while searching for life boats or any kind of floatation device, and the king. If the elf survives, I'll worry about bringing her back home. In the meantime I focus on saving my own skin, and hopefully that of the king...if I can find him.

Perception check floatation device 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Perception check king 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19


With both plans now in shambles, the RNS Coaltongue becomes a mad frenzy of activity. Athame’s exhortation causes a near panic on the top deck, with nobles and their coteries scrambling to all available ladders. Captain Smith half drags Athame’s weakened form away from the Brand. Sokana’s face flashes disappointment, anger, and then grim determination in the span of a few moments. She grabs the Captain’s arm and says, ”Captain, attend to your men. I owe the Constable my life, and I will see that hers is protected.” She steadies Athame and gazes up into her face. ”Gather your strength, child of fire, for our journey is not yet ended.”

Captain Smith looks over to where Stover Delft and Geoff Massarde lay. He shouts a command to the two nearest crew members, ”We don’t have time for stretchers, men. The two of you must carry the tiefling, I’ve got the Constable.” With swift strides and sure hands, he gathers Delft’s frame into his arms and starts to make his way toward the lower deck.

Meanwhile, Molpaedia begins her frantic search for the king. But just as she reaches the lower deck, Athame’s spell wears off suddenly and she pitches forward onto the deck. Taking a few seconds to get used to her old self, she shouts for the king. Fortune soon smiles on her and she rounds a corner directly into a member of the king’s guard. As lifeboats begin to drop toward the water, the six men cautiously await their orders from the king. One look at Molpaedia’s visage is all he needs to understand the gravity of the situation. ”So it’s come to this, then? Well if my sister wishes to take my life, she’ll have to do it herself. Abandon ship!”

The king wastes no time with his next proclamation. ”Constable, I do not know if I am sparing your life or condemning it, but you are welcome to share my boat.” Four doors down, Gavrilo comes crashing out of the boiler room, nearly bowling Tane over in the process. The soot covered dwarf with singed clothing still has a wicked grin on his face. The king’s stoic expression never changes as he declares, ”You three are NOT invited to the launch of my next ship. Now let’s get the hell off of this one.”

Within two minutes, the lifeboats are in the water and rowing toward the escort ships. Sokana and Athame are accompanied by nearly a dozen other evacuees. As soon as she is able, Sokana reaches out of the boat and runs her fingers through the water. She makes a high pitched wail that visibly disturbs the water in a pulse. She then pats Athame’s hand and says ”The Duchess will be furious with me when she realizes my treachery. But for now, we are safe.” Her words are punctuated by the sound of roaring flame bursting every remaining window on the RNS Coaltongue. Rolling explosions echo across the water, as the ship begins its descent to the bottom of Upper Flint Bay.

Whew. I’m not sure if congratulations or condolences are in order, but we’ve come to the end of Act I. And with that, you have all reached Level 4. We’ll start the next chapter of your story in a few days, so take some time to update your characters and equipment. You’ve all received your Constabulary salary plus a generous portion of hazard pay (totaling 3,000 gp) for saving the king’s life. As always, you have your pick of any mundane or magical equipment with a +1 bonus that you can afford. If you have any questions about what to do, feel free to post them in the Discussion tab. I’m planning to kick things off again on Wednesday night, so you have until then. Great job so far, and I can’t wait for what’s next.


A week after the loss of the Coaltongue, the king sends out a proclamation. He reveals his sister's treachery and offers a substantial reward to anyone who aids in her capture. He also recounts the trials Risur has faced to defend itself from Danor through four wars that ultimately earned either side little. For centuries, the king says, his people have viewed Danorans as cursed and unnatural, while they claim Risuri are superstitious and primitive.

The king hopes that his successor, whoever that may be, will not have to lose any more young men and women to another pointless war. And so, even though he first started this arms race, King Aodhan now intends to seek peace with his old, respected enemy, the sovereign of Danor. In one year’s time he will convene a peace summit in Flint, and to seal the proposed treaty he intends to marry a Danoran.

The four of you have been tasked with following up on the work of other, more senior investigators. Assistant Inspector Barnett keeps you busy in Delft's absence conducting low-level interviews, filling out paperwork for search warrants, etc. The only excitement in that week comes when a local journalist gets permission to interview you regarding your role in the assassination attempt.

Welcome back everyone! As a fun re-introduction to the campaign, please fill me in on your activities since being rescued and let me know how the interview went; what you said, how it went over. Once everyone's posted and leveled themselves to 4, we'll move right along.


Male Dwarf Rogue/3

Search warrants are such a waste of time. We know most of these idiots are guilty. If they weren't we wouldn't be able to warrant anyway. After the last time I "interviewed" a suspect the judge let him go and I had to pay to sew up the cuts in his forehead. As usual nobody was interested in finding out what was really going on, just following procedures so they didn't get in trouble. After that, Delf left specific instructions that I was only to work at my desk when not on patrol and was never to be left alone with a prisoner. It was a stupid waster of talent if anyone asked me, which of course they didn't. Instead, I wrote request after request for warrants during the each day for a week.

At night was a different story. After replacing the equipment and supplies I lost trying to save the Coaltounge, I needed to blow off steam in the usual way...robbing glutenous rich people of their wealth and spending it on better things, like drinking and gambling. At the end of the week, I had burned through the small fortune I took and left myself with nothing more than my normal pay in my pocket.

The mindless paperwork, and hangover, had left me in a foul mood by the time the reporter finally got around to talking to me.

You could tell by looking at her that she was from money. The cut of her clothing, the new shoes on her feet, everything about her made me think I should follow her home, case her house and relieve her of the excess money.

Appraise check 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

"So tell me about what you did on the Coaltounge? The others I spoke with said you tried to save the ship from sinking using explosives? Our readers would love to hear about those heroics." was the first thing she asked.

I grinned,"Explosives, I could talk about explosives all day, but let me tell you something else you readers might like before we get to the explosives. Before I ended up down in that engine room I had myself a little fun with a halfing who decided to buy some time for that traitor sister of the king...." What followed was a five minutes discussion on my fight. I did my best to make it descriptive for her and her readers ending with, "You just wouldn't believe how much blood comes out of belly when they wiggle around while a knife blade is stuck in it." She was pale and left after that. I guess she wasn't really interested in the exciting parts after all. I never even got to talking about the explosives.

101 to 150 of 151 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / FatKids Zeitgeist Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.