Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Elven team in Campaign Elves vs Dwarves -- Dwarves and Gnomes Keep Out (Inactive)

Game Master Chainmail

An old school homebrew campaign for a party of Elves. They will interact with a party of dwarves on an increasing basis.
Current map


251 to 300 of 3,750 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

"From Ciedrelites, yes. But some keep their status secret as they are definitely persecuted."


Male Elf Ranger 4

Aye, and if the persecution is as bad as you say, then they are right to be secret about it.

Are there any libraries nearby? I was thinking of looking into them, have an idea for a little project that might help us on any quests that we might have in human lands. Does anyone here know much about the laws of the Coastal Kingdoms and how it all works over there? I must confess I am not an expert.


I will drop some background information a little early as Talon has done some active research. He talks to one of the returning spies from the human lands.

Talon talks to one of the returning spies from the human lands: 'The human lands were once united under a strong and generous king. Since the breakup of the large kingdom, local warlords and bandit kings have emerged that maintain some semblance of the old order at the local level. At the top is the local despot. Below him is the equivalent of what used to be lords, but are now just cronies of the local despot with glorified titles. Below the 'lords' are the rest (what used to be called serfs). Under the previous king a middle class of tradesmen and professionals was emerging, but they are now brutally suppressed and relegated to serf status.'

Let me know when everyone is ready to go--the dwarves were impatient to be off on their second mission and already left. Seltyn has not locked in the next destination yet either. I know people are traveling over the holiday, so we are in no hurry.


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

Talon's persuaded Seltyn that going back to human lands would be the best move.


Male Wood Elf Druid 2

Mar considers the options for what to do. I dislike water and any form of swimming, and Ingwe would be at a distinct disadvantage. So if avoiding that is possible... And knowing that our previous adventure had such an effect may mean that we can inspire more influence in the humans...

Perhaps my input is late, but it seems as if our first mission had a good effect. Maybe by going further into human lands, we can inspire more of them to our cause. I understand it may be dangerous, but...

In for the 3rd option.


"It is to be the trip to the serpent tribe. Those snake lovers love their reptiles and their poisons. The dungeon ruins are said to be loaded with riches beyond imagine."

"I have the ship ready for the trip down the coast. I will be anchoring the ship and getting you to shore in the canoes. Marlamin, if you can calm your friend down, I can probably take him in my canoe --I will just push it with him in it."

secret DM roll:
1d20 ⇒ 8

The trip down the coast is quite pleasant and uneventful and you are provisioned from the generous ship's stores. The coastline is covered with lush tropical vines and trees, and wildlife is prevalent. Crocodiles and alligators are very common, and Windfavor warns you about them.

You anchor within sight of a pebbly beach and see quite a bit of native activity along the water, mostly fishing and trapping in the coastal waters.

"My appearance may startle the natives. I will ferry the magnificent animal in one canoe and two more in the other at first light. I return with both and the last four can jump in and I will follow. I will be able to see you on shore from here, but if you want to be sure or it is night, just make a bonfire and I will come with the canoes."

Seltyn, did you pick and distribute the three ADDITIONAL level one potions (party total should be six)? Pick your daily spells. There is a unnamed mysterious rogue along that has yet to introduce themselves. I assume Marlamin and one other (you pick) and the animal companion on the first trip, the rest of the party will be back in approximately 20 minutes.


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

OK. everybody gets, or already has a potion of CLW, except the new guy.

Telethal has a potion of enlarge. Spells are ready.


Telethal raises his hand, "Um... prolly smart if I went in the first boat. Help secure the beach."


Male Wood Elf Druid 2

Mar thinks at the prospect. He is made uncomfortable by the idea that he may have to be the face, and voice, of the group until others arrive. On the other hand, if the natives are... unfriendly, I may be able to use the forest to an advantage. As Seltyn wishes. I am not the most well spoken, and neither is Telethal, but together, we can hold our own, I think.

Mar voices his opinion before leaving. Whatever you wish is fine with me. What should we do once arriving on the beach?


"Maybe we should reverse it then? Bring Marlamin, Telethal, and Ingwe last. Bring the other four first? That may be better."


Male Wood Elf Druid 2

Perhaps. If we expect the environment to be hostile, then our original plan may be best. If we wish to try for a more... friendly experience, then you may be right. I do not want my own fears to influence this expedition, though. Whatever you wish, and Seltyn wishes, I will abide by.


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

Take the strong ones first, Windfavor. Marlamin and Telethal can take care of themselves. The rest of us won't be far behind. Our admiral will waste no time.

If the people are unfriendly, stand firm and try to persuade them without hurting them, perhaps with a show of magic. The sight of Ingwe alone should make them cautious. We'll be ready with spells and bows, if it comes to that.


secret roll:
1d20 ⇒ 19

The children and fishermen stare in wonder as the animal, druid, and fighter nimbly exit the canoes and Windfavor returns with the rest of the crew. He returns to the ship reminding you to wave or light a fire to get his attention. Windfavor returns the canoes to the ship.

You are given a wide berth by the scantily clad natives who play in the surf, check nets and pots for seafood, and fish in the surf. You are fairly certain that no one left the beach or ran away to give warning.


Male Wood Elf Rogue 2

I suppose we've made introductions on the voyage if I came along?

After his first voyage by sea, Kalthos is weak in the knees and green in the face, desperately trying to hide it as he looks into the wobbly little boat that would take him to shore. He knows in his head not like to fall in, but the unsteady ground is so foreign, so unpredictable relative to the sway of the jungle's branches.

ugh...This takes some getting used to. I'll be glad once I can scamper up a tree again. Or at least stand on something steady.


Male Elf Ranger 4

On the way to the Serpent tribe, Talon also is slightly uncomfortable on the seas, the manner in which the boat rises and falls on the waves works to turn his stomach, it would be several more voyages before he was completely comfortable on the boat.

I imagine that this is pretty easy going at the moment, the wind has been easy and constant. Imagine what the conditions would be like if there was a storm now.

Do we know what language the natives speak? Is it some kind of dialect of Common?

Upon getting to the beach, Talon will string his bow, make sure his equipment is properly secured and undamaged. Then he will simply wait for either Elorin or Seltyn to take the lead. He will do his best to not seem frightening.


The natives talk amongst themselves in a strange language - let me know if anyone uses spells to understand what they say. They seem to have immediately accepted your presence. Marlamin gets a sense that they seem very comfortable with their environment. There are three footpaths leaving the beach - one heads inland, the other two roughly follow the coast. The forest quickly becomes dense with much underbrush, but the footpaths seem clear of underbrush.


Male Elf Ranger 4

Can I use Linguistics to try and understand them or even get some small insight into what they might be saying? If so then
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Hmm, with that roll then probably not.


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

Well, I guess the next thing is to put our best foot forward. Let's approach them and ask if someone can point us to the serpent tribe or the dungeon we're to explore.

Seltyn pats Elorin on the shoulder. We'll let our ambassador work her charms, again. She's got a way with humans.

Once we know where we're going, Marlamin and Ingwe can take the lead. For now, they should hang back a bit. Telethal and I will stay close to Elorin. Smiles, everyone!


Male Elf Ranger 4
Seltyn Sevenleaf wrote:

Well, I guess the next thing is to put our best foot forward. Let's approach them and ask if someone can point us to the serpent tribe or the dungeon we're to explore.

Seltyn pats Elorin on the shoulder. We'll let our ambassador work her charms, again. She's got a way with humans.

Once we know where we're going, Marlamin and Ingwe can take the lead. For now, they should hang back a bit. Telethal and I will stay close to Elorin. Smiles, everyone!

Your thinking is sound Seltyn, and indeed it would seem that Elorin has the best chance of being able to speak to these natives and get the right outcome. We know however that the temple is unlikely to be on the coast, after all, it would be too exposed there. I would suggest therefore that it is the inland trail that we would need, although would still love for Elorin to speak to these human savages and confirm this


Telethal, obeying orders, gives his best grin. Which is really just a pained-lookign grimace, his scars pulling at his ruined eye and lips in a slightly stomach-turning fashion. Still smile-grimacing, leaning on his spear, he says, "Shoudl still see if these nice folk can give us any warnings 'bout this place. I mean... they live here."


Elorin approaches a group of tribesman and begins playing 'multicultural charades'. It is the adults who get bored and go back to their fishing, but the teen children seem to want to play.

After Elorin and children act out a massive structure in the jungle, they convey to you that you take the path to the left going further down the coast, take the first right, proceed further to the second right, and go for what seems to be more than a short way and you will be at the jungle ruins. The acting seems to indicate you will be there when the sun is overhead if you walk at a normal pace.


Male Elf Ranger 4

Thanking the teen kids as best as he can, Talon talks briefly with Marl. I suggest you and I take point for this one, me with my bow and you with whatever is best. Moving fairly quickly, but quietly. Perhaps use Ingwe as well on this one. I don't think we would have any troubles on the way there, but being careful is always a good thing.

Rolls if needed
Stealth roll 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Perception roll 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Knowledge nature 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11 (used to find any interesting herbs and the like)
Knowledge Geography to not get lost in the meantime 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


We need a marching order. A perception roll and an intiative roll too. I assume you will be following the directions.


Male Wood Elf Rogue 2

well with so few hitpoints dont put me near the front! :p i can scout but ill come scampering back with my tail between my legs at the first sign of trouble!
Initiative
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

perception
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

Mar and Ingwe
Telethal
Talon
Seltyn
Kalthos
Elorin

That should put us all in a position to act if there's trouble, and not get Kalthos killed right away!

Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17 Percep: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10


Male Wood Elf Druid 2

I agree. In the forest, I feel more... at home? Comfortable by any means. Ingwe and I can move with ease, if the need arises, although he blends in more easily than me.

Mar's Rolls:

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
If needed:
Knowledge:Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Stealth: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (14) - 2 = 12

Ingwe's Rolls:

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Assuming Ingwe gets his own rolls? I dunno, never done combat w/ a companion before.


Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4.


secret roll:
1d20 ⇒ 9

The four hour trip is uneventful. For approximately a half hour you follow the coast road. At the first right it goes through a less improved game trail for about and hour. You pass the first right and go another hour. At the second right you head down a completely overgrown trail the immediately twists to the left and heads down to follow the higher road in a deep ravine for about a half hour and then it veers right again to the entrance to a large valley.

You can make out the crumbling masonry of a once beautiful structure built into the side of a waterful emptying itself into a large lake. The overgrown trail proceeds to the right of the lake at the edge for about 500'. The trail is about 10' wide, but it is impossible to go double file as one of the sides of the trail is constantly overgrown or obstructed by fallen trees. To the right of the trail and uphill the trees are dense and the underbrush is continuous and lush green.

The trail disappears under a mossy, rocky overhang near the large waterfall. As you get closer to the waterfall, the spray of mist hangs in the air like a fine rain and the waterfall is more deafening. Lacking the appropriate tools to clear the way, it seems you will have to go single file. Marlamin realizes that he can easily pass through the dense woods (2nd level druid ability), but it will difficult for anyone else.


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

Mar, I'd like you and Ingwe to go through there and make sure there are no surprises waiting for us. Talon can follow you and hopefully give you some ranged cover. Kalthos can back him up.

If it's clear, we'll move through in our regular order. If it isn't, do what you must, and warn us. Perhaps a roar from your cat could be heard over the roar of the water.

Seltyn draws his sword.

Better to draw arms and not need them, than to need arms and not have them. Bows and blades at the ready! We'll follow you, clear or not, Mar.


Male Wood Elf Druid 2

As you wish. I will yell if anything happens.

Mar sets out towards the old structure, with Ingwe slipping through the forest beside him. He draws his sword and shield, and begins stepping through the thick underbrush.

I guess use the rolls from before for stealth/nature/perception?


Male Wood Elf Rogue 2

Right, I'll follow Talon's lead then.

Kal keeps a close eye on Mar, moving beside Talon.

Assuming Talon has his bow out, Kalthos will keep his rapier at the ready, in the event of an unexpected melee scuffle. In the event that Talon moves at half speed, Kalthos will attempt to be stealthy, at full speed Kal feels it may be more trouble than it's worth

Stealth
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


map

Above is my attempt to do google docs for a map.


Is Mar and Ingwe scouting in the dense forest or along the trail?


You'll have to grant us access individually because you made it private. I think you'll know who I am when I requested access


Male Wood Elf Druid 2

Based on the document...

Lord Seltyn, it seems as if the trail continues around the waterfall. Should I scout through the forest, or along the trail itself? I can move through the forest ahead of you, if you'd like to continue behind me.


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15
Chainmail wrote:
Is Mar and Ingwe scouting in the dense forest or along the trail?

They're good at both, so both. LOL


I make maps public to the world, it should be accessable now.

Mar is moving at full speed; Ingwe half

Post an M1 and I1 for turn 1 on the spread sheet. M=Mar I=Ingwe
Post an M2 and I2 for turn 2 on the spread sheet.
Do this for four turns.
If anyone else is moving too they will have to do similar 'plotting'. To ready an action you can do a move, else you can do a movex2 and have no action readied.

I will adjudicate tomorrow if anything exciting happens in the first 40 seconds=4 turns.


Male Elf Ranger 4
Chainmail wrote:

I make maps public to the world, it should be accessable now.

Mar is moving at full speed; Ingwe half

Post an M1 and I1 for turn 1 on the spread sheet. M=Mar I=Ingwe
Post an M2 and I2 for turn 2 on the spread sheet.
Do this for four turns.
If anyone else is moving too they will have to do similar 'plotting'. To ready an action you can do a move, else you can do a movex2 and have no action readied.

I will adjudicate tomorrow if anything exciting happens in the first 40 seconds=4 turns.

Talon will be staying some 10 feet back from them both


Anyone else moving on the map? 5 foot squares, every step difficult terrain except for Mar - Jungle is so dense Marlamin can barely see trail from that far in.

Path is not difficult terrain.


Male Elf Ranger 4
Chainmail wrote:

Anyone else moving on the map? 5 foot squares, every step difficult terrain except for Mar - Jungle is so dense Marlamin can barely see trail from that far in.

Path is not difficult terrain.

Lets resolve it as though no-one were moving?

Initiative roll 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18


Stealth roll 1d20 ⇒ 18

Ingwe and Mar stumble on a well-hidden and camouflaged group of giant frogs. I will roll for them tonight. Mar and Ingwe are flatfooted.


Male Elf Ranger 4
Chainmail wrote:
Stealth roll 1d20

If that's the case, then my perception roll earlier of 27 surely should be enough to see something?


I am penalizing per square of dense jungle, so you and Mar's perception rolls after adjustment are quite similar. Talon is definitely not surprised though. You see 6 giant frogs moving on Mar and Ingwe and with your initiative and perception you can take a standard action in the surprise round. I will put them on the map tonight. You do not have line of sight back to the group that hasn't moved, but you barely have line of sight to the trail. Had Talon been point, he would have seen them hidden before they moved, but thats the cubes of chance.


Male Elf Ranger 4

Ah ok then fair enough. Wonder what is about to get us.

Just saw your note about dense forest, and had actually meant to be on the path for my own safeties sake, so have amended positions


Male Elf Ranger 4
Talon Moonwalker wrote:

Ah ok then fair enough. Wonder what is about to get us.

Just saw your note about dense forest, and had actually meant to be on the path for my own safeties sake, so have amended positions

Assuming that my new positions are good enough to still have line of sight, then I will make an attack using rapid shot. if the frogs are within 30 feet then add 1 to attack and damage rolls

Attack roll 1 and damage
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
1d8 ⇒ 6

Attack roll 2 and damage
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
1d8 ⇒ 7


Male Elf Ranger 4

Looked back over it, the posts seem to be a little haphazard. So am I right in thinking that Marl came across those frogs, and whilst he is flat footed, I have been lucky enough to have line of sight on them, and not be caught surprised?

Also, how do you want to do critical hit damage?


Male Wood Elf Rogue 2

I'm sticking next to talon. Will update map when i get to a computer unless someone else would like to do it for me?


It seems the non-scouting group stayed put. Let us know when that changes. I'm guessing we're waiting for a signal from our scouts?


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

That was my thought, originally. Now with a better idea of what things look like, we could have followed at some distance.


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

Knowledge nature 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

We'll see what Seltyn knows about the frogs.

251 to 300 of 3,750 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Team Elf in Elves versus Dwarves - Dwarves and Gnomes KEEP OUT All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.