Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Elven team in Campaign Elves vs Dwarves -- Dwarves and Gnomes Keep Out (Inactive)

Game Master Chainmail

An old school homebrew campaign for a party of Elves. They will interact with a party of dwarves on an increasing basis.
Current map


1,851 to 1,900 of 3,750 << first < prev | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | next > last >>

Yes I did Talon. I also assumed that those in the wagon cannot see and the teamster is looking forward. I don't call a 1 a critical failure, but it can't beat a 20 hide, even with great elven modifiers. Well, I have been asked to move things along. We can slow things back down if you would like.


Male Elf Ranger 4

If you read it, its whilst we are midway through the journey, and therefore the second perception wouldn't fire as the conditions for it aren't met. The first one was pretty decent, but like I say it might still not be good enough. Talon has a perception of +10 when not underground. If he can't spot it....


Male Elf Ranger 4

I don't mind the speed of the game, its actually rather refreshing to have things going at the pace that they are for a change, so please keep it up. It would be nice though if we could have had individual perception rolls with our modifiers, even if the result is that we still don't see anything. In all honesty chainmail, I don't mind how you do it. The elven game is awesome. Just a shame that we lost our bloody banner woman


Female Half-Elf Cleric

How come multiple days were played out in the city but barely starting the journey we already get three timejumps? (once when going to get the horses/carriage, once right after about the first part of the journey and the rest, and barely being able to react about taking a rest and getting out of the carriage the third one)

I also assumed the positions would have changed, I think someone wrote earlier to replace Flambeaux sitting there.
This rush isn't good, even if the woman wouldn't get killed on the spot like this. There wasn't even 24 hours since the post about getting the carriage was posted, and people like Elorin had no time to react to events yet. I am sorry but the situation kinda freaks me out. Even ignoring that we don't have personal rolls this feels not right.


Male Elf Ranger 4

Lets move this discussion to the OOC area


Female Half-Elf Cleric
Talon Moonwalker wrote:
Lets move this discussion to the OOC area

already did


Stats:
Wood Elf Paladin lvl 4 Init +1; Low-Light Vision; Per +5; HP: 39/39 (healthy)
Saves & AC:
Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +8; AC 21, T 12, FF 20

Wil's ride was quiet and he stoically rode onward, one hand on the reins and the other on the handle of his sword. He nodded to Thalas when he was used as an example of how to ride and when they finally came to a stop he dismounted and helped Flambeuex down from the saddle he didn't how well of a rider she was but she had done fine, as he helped her down the warm pulse of healing surged through him and into her hand as he ensured she was unharmed by the long ride. Once she was on the ground he started to remove the saddle off his horse, he paused though at Suny's exclamation.

As Suny walked around, Wil turned back and continued to remove the saddle plus the other gear off the back of his horse and saw that it was brushed down thoroughly before he tied it off to their makeshift picket line. Once he was done he washed his hands with what little water was available and settled down to checking his pack and helping around the campsite.


Male Elf Ranger 4

Perception rolls for the party

Talon 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Wil 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Suny 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Seltyn 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Thalas 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Azlain 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

My understanding from the posts is that Wil was on his horse on rearguard. Thalas and Suny were on Thalas' horse. Elorin, Maeve, Seltyn and Talon were inside whilst Azlain was outside next to the driver. Therefore apply modifiers as needed.


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

+2. Not that that helps any...


Female Half-Elf Cleric

Suny just went off the horse and was most likely not to ride the horse again for the second part of the travel, as example of one of many problems with this
and Talon please do not roll my rolls for me if possible, thanks


Male Elf Ranger 4

Removed the offending roll, feel free to make it yourself


Stats:
Wood Elf Paladin lvl 4 Init +1; Low-Light Vision; Per +5; HP: 39/39 (healthy)
Saves & AC:
Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +8; AC 21, T 12, FF 20

RETCON

Wil's bellow rises over the turmoil as Flambeuex slumps, pinned to teh carriage, roaring in outrage at the ambushers. He raises his shield to defend himself. "SOMEONE BANDAGE HER, COME CRETINS AND EAT STEEL!" He reached for his sword as the crossbow bolts tore from the surrounding brush...

I'm willing to instant heal if I must, it'll weaken my ability to heal for a round but I will still be up. :)

LoH - if needed 5/6 left if used 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


f Elf bard/4. Init +2/Low-Light Vision/Perception +11/ AC16, T12: FF14/
Talon Moonwalker wrote:

Perception rolls for the party

Talon 1d20+10
Wil 1d20+2
Suny 1d20+4
Seltyn 1d20+2
Thalas 1d20+5
Azlain 1d20+1

My understanding from the posts is that Wil was on his horse on rearguard. Thalas and Suny were on Thalas' horse. Elorin, Maeve, Seltyn and Talon were inside whilst Azlain was outside next to the driver. Therefore apply modifiers as needed.

so Elorin was asleep then?or im not part of the party. hmm, I see nothing, i don't even know there is a nothing to see lol


Male Elf Ranger 4

Really sorry Elorin, I miscounted the number of people in the party. Wasn't trying to imply you were asleep or anything of the sort

Elorin's Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12


initiative:

Initiative
Seltyn 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Azlain 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Suny 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Elorin 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Bannermaiden 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Talon 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Wil 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Maeve 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5
Big bad guy 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Little bad guys 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

When ready

Azlain I had riding beside the driver. Their backgrounds would make for interesting conversation or nonconversation knowing their personalities. Let me know if you still need to roll your own perception roll.


Per +5, Low-Light Vision | HP 33/33 | AC 20, Touch 11, Flat 19 | F +4, R +2, W +10

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20


Chainmail wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

When ready

roll your own perception roll.

Initiatives are in the spoiler.

Edit: Thalas I sure did, you are in the campaign tab too! :-)


Per +5, Low-Light Vision | HP 33/33 | AC 20, Touch 11, Flat 19 | F +4, R +2, W +10

You forgot mine.


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

So, the order is: Flambeaux (down)
Azlain
Big bad
Elorin
Little bad
Seltyn
Talon
Wil
Maeve

Thalas?

Here is a map I use in my PbP. It's almost square. Feel free to copy and use it, Chainmail.


Per +5, Low-Light Vision | HP 33/33 | AC 20, Touch 11, Flat 19 | F +4, R +2, W +10

I'm going to assume I'm allowed to keep the 20 I rolled for myself, since Chainmail acknowledged he forgot me in the Initiative spoiler. That also puts me at the first to act.

As startled as everyone else by the sudden and out-of-nowhere impalement of Flambeaux, Thalas nonetheless reacted quickly.

"Suny, dismount!" he exclaimed, drawing his sword and looked around for where he thought the attack had initially come from.

Move action: Draw Weapon
Standard action: Perception skill check to identify location of attackers 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Status:

HP 20/20
AC 18, T 12, FF 17 (no shield)
Conditions: Mounted on Large creature (+1 melee attack against Medium or smaller creatures)


Crossbow:
to hit 6d20 ⇒ (10, 8, 8, 20, 8, 19) = 73 Confirm1d20 ⇒ 9

Will is unprepared for six crossbow bolts, two of which hit for 2d8 ⇒ (7, 5) = 12 hp

Round 1
Thalas<---
Azlain<---
Big bad
Elorin
Little bad
Seltyn
Talon
Wil
Maeve

Knowledge Dungeoneering DC15:
The large creature is an ice troll.

Knowledge Dungeoneering DC20:
The ice troll can regenerate anything but acid or fire damage.

large creature hide:
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

human hide:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

A perception DC14 picks out the large figure that threw the spear and is holding a large size glaive. A perception DC21 picks out the humans in their hiding spot and lets you target them.


HP 23/51, AC 26, CMD 25, Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +4

Azlain dropped low on his horse and tried to pick out the direction of the attack.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

Seeing nothing, he paused.

"Where?!" He snarled beneath his facewrap.

Delay action. Someone will point them out soon.


Before Wil can react, the huge creature charges Wil with a glaive that is incredibly long and much larger than any you have ever seen. His one ton frame tears up the very earth he passes through.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 112d8 + 10 ⇒ (3, 3) + 10 = 16

The huge polearm misses the flatfooted paladin. The creature is somewhat surprised by the result.

Everyone notices the big creature now.

Moved over but not rerolled :-)

Round 1
Big bad guy missed
Thalas <---
Azlain <---
Elorin <---
Little bad
Seltyn
Talon
Wil
Maeve


HP 23/51, AC 26, CMD 25, Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +4

Spurring his horse forward, Azlain moves to flank the creature attacking Wil.

Guide mount w/ knees, DC5: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 whew

Attack Ice Troll: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 2 = 22 +2 added for Flanking

His blazing sword swings down at the monster's back...

damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
extra Fire damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5


Wil does not threaten the creature as it attacked from reach. Approaching provokes an AoO. Is that still the plan?


HP 23/51, AC 26, CMD 25, Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +4

Guide With Knees does not take an action. The horse moves most of the way towards the Troll. 5 feet outside it's reach-

Fast Dismount (dismount as free action) DC 20: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Then I move in to close the distance.

Acro check to avoid AoO: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

That should put me right next to it.


f Elf bard/4. Init +2/Low-Light Vision/Perception +11/ AC16, T12: FF14/

when it comes to Elorin's turn she will inspire courage of course lol. everything I do is written in the order i do it, so if i take up more than allowed to do in one round please split my actions up accordingly. forgive me it is 5:30am here and i haven't slept at all so may forget to roll when its needed. please let me know or feel free to roll for me.

Elorin having narrowly been missed by a spear, jumps out of the carriage which i think i was in and seeing a huge creature charge Will, she (inspires courage) and gets bow ready to attack.

knowledge dungeoneering check 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

"wow thats a big ice troll"


Currently 'Sickened':
HP: 22/22, AC: 17(Max 21(T13,FF14), DR: 1(Water Based Critters), F:+4, R:+7, W:+2, Perc: +6, Init: +3.

As the thud, smash, screams, snarls, crash and cacophony of battle erupt in the air around the carriage. Suny drops to the floor boards of the carriage, pulls her x-bow from her traveling chest and begins strapping on her box of bolts.

So, for at least the first TWO rounds of combat Suny is gearing up and hence an explanation for why she is not appearing the ht initiative order/roster. *Bows*

What she DOES do that gains every one's attention is raise her voice (On the first 'Normal' combat round) in an Elvish chant which inspires her comrades. (Hence giving every one a +1 moral bonus to Attacks, Damages and saves I do believe.)

Instinctively Suny pitches her tone to meld with and add to Eorin's song of valor. The two women's rallying cry adding to the ferocity of the Elves resurgence into battle.

Note: Elorin on her 1st non-surprise round AND Suny on her first non-surprise round are both inspiring courage. That's going to be a LOT of bonuses. Something like a +4 in total. >:)

*Bows* Much cheers to all.


Suny 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Round 1
Big bad guy missed
Thalas <---
Azlain <---
Elorin <---
Little bad
Seltyn
Talon
Wil
Suny
Maeve


Female Half-Elf Cleric
Talon Moonwalker wrote:
Removed the offending roll, feel free to make it yourself

It wasn't as much offending as confusing, Only PC or GM should roll, not players of other chars.


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

No clue.


Female Half-Elf Cleric
Seltyn Sevenleaf wrote:

Dungeoneering: 1d20+8

No clue.

I don't even have ranks in it thus couldn't get any better than a result of 10, btw, can the same bard songs stack in effects?


Stats:
Wood Elf Paladin lvl 4 Init +1; Low-Light Vision; Per +5; HP: 39/39 (healthy)
Saves & AC:
Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +8; AC 21, T 12, FF 20

to avoid holding things up:

with wild portion of the return money he was going to buy a combat trained heavy horse but things moved to quick for me to state that. If that's not possible then his ride check will be for quick dismount instead of guide with knees.

Seeing Flam slumped over caused Wil's heart to sink, and a righteous rage to overtake him. His wounds started sealing up, his holy power surging through him as he lifted his shield and pushed his way into the creature threatened space. Abusing the fact that the glaive was useless in close combat.

As the massive creature stared at him dumbly he reached it and roared in its face. "YOU WILL FALL!" With that he brought the Warhammer down with all his fury, snoring the creature where it stood...

LoH 5/6 remaining swift action 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

ac= 24 w/smite evil
Ma: Move towards Large creature. Ride check for guide/fast dismount WIA.1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Draw warhammer, FA w/MA, Attack Large creature with warhammer +SE +IC 1d20 + 1 + 1 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 1 + 1 + 4 + 3 = 29
Confirm?1d20 + 1 + 1 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 1 + 1 + 4 + 3 = 20

Damage w/ critical +SE +IC 3d8 + 3 + 9 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (3, 1, 1) + 3 + 9 + 3 + 3 = 23


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

Waiting on little bad.


The left 3 crossbowman target Wil again.

xbow:
3d20 ⇒ (20, 16, 7) = 43conf1d20 ⇒ 18

One of them gets a very luck shot into Wil's neck for 2d8 ⇒ (7, 8) = 15 hp

The other three have no chivalry, and target Suny.

xbow:
3d20 ⇒ (10, 8, 8) = 26conf1d20 ⇒ 12

One strikes for 1d8 ⇒ 1 hp


M Elf
stats:
Init +2/ HP 32/32 // AC: 12/T:12/FF:10 - Percep: +4// F +1/R +3/W +6 /CMB +3 - CMD 15

Seltyn hops out of the carriage.

Elorin! See if you can save Flambeaux. She may be permadead, but who knows?

He moves to where the horse might give him some cover, and fires a scorching ray at the troll.

Ranged touch: 1d20 + 3 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 3 + 1 + 1 = 25

possible crit: 1d20 + 3 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 3 + 1 + 1 = 24

I think so... damage:8d6 + 1 ⇒ (3, 5, 6, 2, 5, 2, 5, 5) + 1 = 34

Woo hoo! I'm useful!


Round 1
Big bad guy missed
Thalas to go
Azlain attacked (7 physical 5 fire)
Elorin move=open door std=perform
Little bad (done)
Seltyn <---
Talon <---
Wil
Suny
Maeve


Female Half-Elf Cleric

Way to go Seltyn!
Chainmail: based on recent posts of Suny I would say she is with Maeve inside the carriage and not outside, the bardic song effect works from in there too and she didn't write she would leave it
this reminds me: how many enemies can be targeted from the windows on the sides and back/front?


Per +5, Low-Light Vision | HP 33/33 | AC 20, Touch 11, Flat 19 | F +4, R +2, W +10

Suny is on the horse with me: it's called a flashback if it helps to conceptualize the fact we got ahead of ourselves.


The windows are quite small. One person can target humans from the right side window with cover. They cannot see the troll, but they can see the humans if they roll an appropriate perception (21).
Bonuses of the same kind do not stack.


Female Half-Elf Cleric
Thalas Lebarath wrote:
Suny is on the horse with me: it's called a flashback if it helps to conceptualize the fact we got ahead of ourselves.
Suny wrote:
As the thud, smash, screams, snarls, crash and cacophony of battle erupt in the air around the carriage. Suny drops to the floor boards of the carriage, pulls her x-bow from her traveling chest and begins strapping on her box of bolts.

I don't read it as if that would be a flashback, she also wrote in the discussion thread Suny wouldn't get on a horse after the rest either.

Chainmail wrote:

The windows are quite small. One person can target from the right side window with cover.

Bonuses of the same kind do not stack.

thanks, that will be helpful for crossbows and spells


After Azlain strikes the troll and a crossbow hits Wil in the neck taking him from the saddle, Seltyn calmly moves out of the carriage and fires at the troll hitting him squarely in the center of chest and doing an extreme amount of damage. The troll howls in pain as the fire leaves him singed and burnt in many places on his chest. Although massively hardy, the troll cannot take another blow like that.

Talon<--
Suny I'll check if bardic songs stack.
Maeve <--


Female Half-Elf Cleric

Please reply regarding the Enthrall spell requirement of "If you have the attention of a group of creatures" in discussion thread. I don't want to waste a spell to have it later realized that no one even noticed me/it and thus it didn't work.


In the carriage you will not have their attention while taking cover. The humans are targeting active threats and you are not one at the moment. Seltyn has everyone's attention right now.


Female Half-Elf Cleric
Chainmail wrote:
In the carriage you will not have their attention while taking cover. The humans are targeting active threats and you are not one at the moment. Seltyn has everyone's attention right now.

So, if I begin to sing loudly inside no one will care? If I leave the carriage they will care? if I begin to stiptease at the carriage using the door as a "cover" would they look? Or maybe doing a diplomacy check could get their attention if done well?


Stats:
Wood Elf Paladin lvl 4 Init +1; Low-Light Vision; Per +5; HP: 39/39 (healthy)
Saves & AC:
Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +8; AC 21, T 12, FF 20

Wil will instant heal to avoid being knocked from the saddle and will continue with the specified action in my spoiler above. He gains 7 Hp back from my earlier post. Which puts him at 5/23 and having to wait until round 2 to use his LoH ability again.

Upto you if that is acceptable or not Chainmail.


No healing while flatfooted or surprised.


Sister Maeve wrote:
Chainmail wrote:
In the carriage you will not have their attention while taking cover. The humans are targeting active threats and you are not one at the moment. Seltyn has everyone's attention right now.
So, if I begin to sing loudly inside no one will care? If I leave the carriage they will care? if I begin to stiptease at the carriage using the door as a "cover" would they look? Or maybe doing a diplomacy check could get their attention if done well?

Is this a serious question?


Female Half-Elf Cleric

I just need their attention, there is a lot of ways that should get me that. I only ask what of these would work, because even if I leave the carriage they might still just focus on Seltyn. Singing should make them notice/attend to me even if in the carriage, but we got two bards so I assume it would have a weak effect in these circumstances. So I guess that wouldn't work in the end. Stripping may work and it would still give some cover due to the door, but it may not be acceptable. Plus it doesn't make sounds so even if Maeve does it the enemy may not even look in that direction.

I want to use Enthrall which would give a lot of time for the team to heal up, see what is with the bannergirl, and get into positions after healing up for a new attack turning advantage for us while the enemy just stares at me. it is also one of the strongest save DC spells I got. I do have a pretty bad AC though and I worry i get massacred the second I leave the carriage. So yes, it is a serious question with the idea to use a multi-target spell from the safety of cover which could save all PC-s and maybe even the NPC.


Enthrall will require their attention when you cast it. Right now the humans are unaware of your presence, and with a DC21 perception check, you become aware of theirs. If some of them focus their attention on you (no threats from others would make this more likely), you could begin the full round spell. Any hits by crossbows before your next action would force a concentration check. As much as striptease may work in a social setting, in a combat situation it scores way under a 34 pt scorching blast.

Wil, the intent for instaheal was you were aware of incoming damage to lay on hands before the damage happened. While flatfooted or surprised or versus a unknown foe, you are not able to anticipate the damage. This is the combat of extreme die rolling.

1,851 to 1,900 of 3,750 << first < prev | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Team Elf in Elves versus Dwarves - Dwarves and Gnomes KEEP OUT All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.