Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

EM - [PFS] Baby It's Cold Outside (Inactive)

Game Master CursedFrogurt

A series of 6 PFS scenarios... starting off in Absalom and ending up, for an extended stay, in the frigid environs of Irrisen, the Linnorm Kingdoms, and the Realm of the Mammoth Lords.

─► Map ◄─


2,751 to 2,800 of 3,007 << first < prev | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | next > last >>

Hmm.. seems like everyone's for the jewelry at least, so we shall start there!

Haltani tells you the merchant's name, Alexei Kartov, as she leads the way over to a small unmarked shop on the far side of the market area.

"Hopefully Alexei is in." She says. "He really does do wonderful work. Word of mouth mostly, he has no need to advertise."

Unfortunately, the unmarked door she claims leads to his shop, turns to be closed and locked. She frowns slightly, then turns and asks a nearby vendor where he went, only to be directed to a second location.

"Would appear he is down that way... at the Cubes." She adds hesitantly, pointing down the street, before heading in that direction. She gets a little cagey about what The Cubes is, but once you get there, its not hard to tell that it is a gambling establishment of some sort.

Haltani shrugs apologetically. "Maybe he'll be in a generous mood?" She offers hopefully.

The place is not very busy, given its not even noon, but what business is going on, is at a long table against one wall, where a number of men appear to be playing some sort of dice game. A big ice troll sits near the entrance, and glowers at you as you enter, obviously an incentive to behave.

Haltani points over to an empty table over by a bar area. "Head over there, I'll fetch him over." she says, before going over to the men playing dice.

She returns a few minutes later with a tall skinny middle aged man with a shock of blond hair sticking up in an unruly fashion from the top of his head with a pair of spectacles resting forgotten in it. He eyes you thoughtfully.

"Petra's already complaining." He says with a slight chuckle. "His dice were running hot. Throwing doubles like ice water. Probably good I got out of there."

He nods towards Haltani. "The young lady there says you're interested in purchasing some of my wares?" He looks around at the dim interior of the hall and shrugs slightly. "Probably not the best place to do business, but can hear if your offer is worth the stroll back to the shop at least. In the meantime, their ice wine isn't bad."

He waves at a bored-looking barkeep, who brings over a tall bottle of some sort of clear bluish liquid, and leaves it on the table with a few small classes.

"I do the finest work, this side of Whitethrone." Alexei says proudly, as he pours a small shot of the liquid in the glass and offers it to anyone interested. "Even been commissioned by the Baroness herself from time to time. Do gold and silver mostly, some work with gemstones... even have a line on a few ice diamonds, if that's your thing. Traditional styles mostly, but can do custom work too. What sort of pieces are you looking for?"

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /2 | HP: 7/17 | AC: 17 T: 12 FF: 15 | CMB: +1 CMD: 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +1 Will: +7 | Init: +3 Perc: +6 | Crossbow bolts: 93/100 | RebukeDeath 7/7, Channel 5/5 | L1 Spells:

At the mention of ice diamonds Malusha perks up. "Ice diamonds? I've heard of them but I've never seen one. You have some?"


Alexei eyes the young Garundi man speculatively. "Can only be found in one place, in all the world, those." He says. "Luckily, that place is not too far from here. Have a few if you're interested. Nothing too large mind you. If you want, I'm sure we can work something out."

Not going to draw this out for too long, but at some point someone will need to actually 'barter' =) Aka, make a Profession (merchant) or Diplomacy roll to work out your trade deal! The diamond can be included, if you want... but it might affect the credit remaining.

Silver Crusade

HP: 35/35 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 15 l F +7, R +4, W +9 l Adoration (7/7), Channel Energy (4/5), Clarifying Channel (1/1), Inspired (1/1), Resistant Touch (7/7) l L1: 4/4, D1: 1/1, L2: 2/3, D2: 1/1 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +4
Skills:
Craft: Musical Instruments +9, Diplomacy +9, Heal +10, Kn. Arcana/History +5, Kn. Planes +6, Kn. Religion +7, Linguistics +5, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +5
Female Human Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 l Active Condtions:

Before I post too much, is the written trade document that Benarry gave us supposed to establish trade between whoever and the Society specifically? I'm guessing so but wanted to be certain since that will affect how Nella or someone else in the group might want to approach things :)


You all would have had a chance to look at the trade document by now. You will have noted that nowhere on there does it mention the Pathfinder Society at all, but instead lists the primary concern as Monument Imports, LLC based out of Magnimar.

You suspect that they are trying to avoid mentioning the Society specifically, if only to avoid the local stigma/sanctions that might be in place.

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /2 | HP: 7/17 | AC: 17 T: 12 FF: 15 | CMB: +1 CMD: 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +1 Will: +7 | Init: +3 Perc: +6 | Crossbow bolts: 93/100 | RebukeDeath 7/7, Channel 5/5 | L1 Spells:

Malusha is suddenly reminded of the trading bazaars back home where haggling and negotiation are the stock and trade. "Hmm. I might be interested. But let me talk with my companions first."

He steps away to talk with the others. "This guy might have a way of getting an ice diamond. One of you, with better charming skills than me, might want to sweet talk him a bit."

I will go along with whatever you all want to do. I'm not the person to lead the charge with Diplomacy but I'm ready to offer 'aid' to anyone who starts the Diplomacy.

Liberty's Edge

Female half-elf bard 3 NG Medium humanoid (elf, human) Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +9 AC 15uch 11 flat-footed 14(+4armor, +1 Dex) hp 15 (3d8+3Fort +1, Ref +4 Will +4; +2 vs. enchantments Immune sleep

The half-elf walks up to the jewler's workshop and begins to admire his wares.

Silver Crusade

HP: 35/35 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 15 l F +7, R +4, W +9 l Adoration (7/7), Channel Energy (4/5), Clarifying Channel (1/1), Inspired (1/1), Resistant Touch (7/7) l L1: 4/4, D1: 1/1, L2: 2/3, D2: 1/1 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +4
Skills:
Craft: Musical Instruments +9, Diplomacy +9, Heal +10, Kn. Arcana/History +5, Kn. Planes +6, Kn. Religion +7, Linguistics +5, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +5
Female Human Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 l Active Condtions:

If Malusha got a direct contact to get one of these ice diamonds then it must be really important...

"Actually yes, we'd be interested in working out a deal for an ice diamond too," Nella begins, shooting a glance at the others to make sure there are no objections before she continues. "You see, we're representing Monument Imports out of Magnimar and right now they'd be interested in cuts and styles distinctive to Irrisen..."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
________

Oof, poor time to roll a 3! A businesswoman, Nella ain't. A little help, anyone? :)

Liberty's Edge

Female half-elf bard 3 NG Medium humanoid (elf, human) Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +9 AC 15uch 11 flat-footed 14(+4armor, +1 Dex) hp 15 (3d8+3Fort +1, Ref +4 Will +4; +2 vs. enchantments Immune sleep

It is a 10 to aid another correct?

Silver Crusade

HP: 35/35 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 15 l F +7, R +4, W +9 l Adoration (7/7), Channel Energy (4/5), Clarifying Channel (1/1), Inspired (1/1), Resistant Touch (7/7) l L1: 4/4, D1: 1/1, L2: 2/3, D2: 1/1 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +4
Skills:
Craft: Musical Instruments +9, Diplomacy +9, Heal +10, Kn. Arcana/History +5, Kn. Planes +6, Kn. Religion +7, Linguistics +5, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +5
Female Human Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 l Active Condtions:

Yep, as long as someone gets a 10 or better it adds a +2 to the original result!

Liberty's Edge

Female half-elf bard 3 NG Medium humanoid (elf, human) Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +9 AC 15uch 11 flat-footed 14(+4armor, +1 Dex) hp 15 (3d8+3Fort +1, Ref +4 Will +4; +2 vs. enchantments Immune sleep

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27 Diplomacy to aid another
[\

Can we use this instead and have the cleric aid me?

Yes, there those in Magnimar that are looking for such equisite workmanship as found only in Irrisen, which we have been led to believe that you are the foremost of jewelry crafters


Ya, she might need a few more aids! =) And she's from Magnimar!

Liberty's Edge

Active Conditions:
Resources:
Bolts 17/20, Cold-Iron bolts 10/10, Silver bolts 10/10
Male Human Slayer 3 (Vanguard archetype) HP 34/34 | AC 19 , T 14, FF 15 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +3 | CMD 19 | Perc. +7 | Init. +4

"Yes we have heard good things about your craftsmanship." Masym chimes in.

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 18

Masym finally pulling his weight here. Phoebee is rubbing off on him I see, he he.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Fighter (Archer) 1/Brawler 2: [HP:27/27 ] [AC:19 T:13 F:16][CMB +5, CMD 19] [ Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +1] [Init:+4, Percep:+7]
Active Abilities:
Rapid Shot (8 rounds)

Jones, standing behind the group tries his best to help, "Nice stones."

Aid Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19

Sorry I've been MIA. Started a new job and then at a con all weekend.

Liberty's Edge

Female half-elf bard 3 NG Medium humanoid (elf, human) Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +9 AC 15uch 11 flat-footed 14(+4armor, +1 Dex) hp 15 (3d8+3Fort +1, Ref +4 Will +4; +2 vs. enchantments Immune sleep

There are many ways to take your OoC comment, Masym :)

Grand Lodge

hp 22/27; AC 20/18/14 (AC 14/16, t12/14, ff10); F 4, R 3, W 3; bab 2 +5 melee +4 range; cmb 5 cmd 17; init +4; ap 2/3; wih 42; wmm 47 tengu magus (bladebound, kensai)/3
skills:
craft weapons 6, fly 8, kn arcane 8, perc 9/11, spellcraft 8, stealth 4

"Your wares are quite striking.. you are indeed a most skilled craftsman. I think Magnimar would welcome your work. A profitable venture for all involved."

diplo aid dc 10: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8

bah! at least the fail wasn't by enough to jeopardize the efforts already made

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /2 | HP: 7/17 | AC: 17 T: 12 FF: 15 | CMB: +1 CMD: 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +1 Will: +7 | Init: +3 Perc: +6 | Crossbow bolts: 93/100 | RebukeDeath 7/7, Channel 5/5 | L1 Spells:

More than one person can do a Diplomacy so I think that we should use Phoebee's high roll as a Diplomacy rather than an Aid. Can we do that? In any case, Malusha is going to aid someone in Diplomacy.

Aid (diplomacy): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Malusha addresses the merchant. "So what kind of deal do you think you can make?"

Liberty's Edge

Female half-elf bard 3 NG Medium humanoid (elf, human) Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +9 AC 15uch 11 flat-footed 14(+4armor, +1 Dex) hp 15 (3d8+3Fort +1, Ref +4 Will +4; +2 vs. enchantments Immune sleep

I think that if we use my roll the # of hte check would be like a 35?


Nah, using Nella's roll, as she took the lead.

Once he sees the letter of trade and realizes you are after a more long term and comprehensive arrangement, Alexei becomes all business. He finishes his drink, and ushers you all out of the Cubes and back to his shop down the street, talking of styles and cuts and settings as he goes.

He proves to be a pretty shrewd negotiator... but eventually relents under all of your pressure and the rarity of the opportunity. In the end, you negotiate a rather complicated deal for the export of various jewelry items in a multitude of Irrisen styles as well as for the trade of ice diamonds.

At the very last, he pulls out a small cloth pouch and empties out three gemstones onto the counter. One is perfectly clear, indistinguishable from a normal diamond, the other two similar, but with increasing shades of blue in them.

"And these, are some of the rare ice diamonds we've been talking about." He exclaims. "Harder then regular diamonds, and far more rare. They can only be found in one place in all of Golarian... right here in Irrisen. Quite pricey, but we've worked it into the trade agreement at a reduced price. I don't get many of them here, usually they end up in Whitethrone, but I think I can get them to deal a few more, on a more regular basis, going forward... with a guaranteed buyer to point at."

"For now, a sign of good faith!" He lays them in front of Malusha motioning for the Garundi man to take one. "Take your pick!"

All the same, but you might have a color preference =)

Business done, you eventually take your leave and head back out into the cold Dalun market. Setting up the trade agreement for future jewelry and ice diamond exchange with Alexei took most of your credentials. You don't believe you'll have enough for anything else at this time, but are pretty sure you've set up a favorable deal with the one expanded deal you did negotiate.

Haltani, who was waiting outside while you conducted your business nods as you finally emerge.

"That took longer then expected." She observes. "Hope it went well. Will be a good starting point to future trade if it works out."

"Anyway, you should probably go talk to the Baroness if you want to be able to get to the ruins today." She continues. "You'll want her permission to travel inland, if only to avoid any misunderstandings."

She points off towards the icy spire in the middle of town. "That's her home there. She should be in at this time of day."

"Tell Nadya I send my regards." She adds, with a slight smile. "I have some business I need to attend to before we go, will meet you at the north gate once you're done."


I realize that last one didn't leave you much to act on... so adding the next bit as well... feel free to respond to any and all!

Finding your way to the spire in the middle of the town is of course remarkably simple and you are approaching the base of it it short order. Despite the fact Dalun is barely big enough to classify as a village, the icy spire in the center of it can only be described as a palace. Up close it resembles nothing if not an icicle thrusting from the ground towards the sky. It even looks like its made of actual ice.

A group of guards stands attentively outside the spire, keeping an eye on the passers by. Behind them, near the palace itself, you see a regal-looking woman in a flowing white gown seated on a bench that appears to be made of the same ice-like substance as the spire. Around her is what you could only be described as a 'garden'... but one where all the plants and flowers and other foliage is intricately sculpted entirely of ice.

The nearest guards immediately move to intercept you before you can get anywhere near the palace, scowling and bringing their weapons up as they eye you suspiciously.

"Halt!" One says menacingly. "You approach the palace of the Baroness Nadya of Dalun. How dare you do so without permission, and bearing weapons!"

They seem very serious.

Grand Lodge

hp 22/27; AC 20/18/14 (AC 14/16, t12/14, ff10); F 4, R 3, W 3; bab 2 +5 melee +4 range; cmb 5 cmd 17; init +4; ap 2/3; wih 42; wmm 47 tengu magus (bladebound, kensai)/3
skills:
craft weapons 6, fly 8, kn arcane 8, perc 9/11, spellcraft 8, stealth 4

sorry, not feeling well, so jumping the gun a bit with this post... hold his action til after Phoebee or some other diplomat goes first

Tchak bristles his feathers and lofts a brow at the accusation of the party baring their weapons, then it occurs to him he meant bearing not baring and he relaxes a bit. "No disrespect intended, just wanted to have a chat with her Ladyship."

diplomacy assist dc 10: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12

Silver Crusade

HP: 35/35 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 15 l F +7, R +4, W +9 l Adoration (7/7), Channel Energy (4/5), Clarifying Channel (1/1), Inspired (1/1), Resistant Touch (7/7) l L1: 4/4, D1: 1/1, L2: 2/3, D2: 1/1 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +4
Skills:
Craft: Musical Instruments +9, Diplomacy +9, Heal +10, Kn. Arcana/History +5, Kn. Planes +6, Kn. Religion +7, Linguistics +5, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +5
Female Human Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 l Active Condtions:

With the trade negotiations finally complete, Nella breathes a sigh of relief and gives everyone else an apologetic look once they're out of earshot of Alexei. "Thanks for the help guys...guess wheeling and dealing isn't really my strong suit. Next time I'll just let one of you folks take the lead on negotiations."

Then she turns to Malusha and gives him a smile. "But hey, we still found what you were looking for and set up a pretty good trade deal to boot! We'll count this part of things a success for sure!"
__________

After having parted ways with Haltani with an agreement to meet up later, Nella falls in line with the rest of the group as everyone heads towards the Baroness' home. When they're rather abruptly stopped by guards she finds herself not at all surprised...though she wished that they'd remembered to bind their weapons before now!

Having finally realized that Phoebee had a rather unorthodox but charming way of speaking with people, the priestess waits for a moment for the young bard to introduce the group before opening her own mouth. "That's right...we're just seeking permission to pass further into the realm, which is what we were instructed to do by our friend Haltani." Nella pauses for a moment and adds, "She also wanted us to give the Baroness her regards."

Diplomacy (Aid Another): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
__________

Same as Tchak, Nella is going to let Phoebee take the lead on this one but I wanted to go ahead and get my post up now while I've got the time! And I really am sorry about the negotiation roll; I keep forgetting that Phoebee's got a better chance of making a good roll than Nella, even though Nella is no slouch.

Silver Crusade

Male Human Fighter (Archer) 1/Brawler 2: [HP:27/27 ] [AC:19 T:13 F:16][CMB +5, CMD 19] [ Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +1] [Init:+4, Percep:+7]
Active Abilities:
Rapid Shot (8 rounds)

Jones sighs at the guards. Half jokingly and half irritated, "But you've got weapons."

Aid Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5

Of course his humour doesn't translate well.

Liberty's Edge

Female half-elf bard 3 NG Medium humanoid (elf, human) Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +9 AC 15uch 11 flat-footed 14(+4armor, +1 Dex) hp 15 (3d8+3Fort +1, Ref +4 Will +4; +2 vs. enchantments Immune sleep

We came to your country to seek trading and knowing that we might encounter some of the less "civilized" folk, some of which we have had to fight on our way to your city, we, like any sane person, came armed. Can we proceed? says the bard.
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

Liberty's Edge

Active Conditions:
Resources:
Bolts 17/20, Cold-Iron bolts 10/10, Silver bolts 10/10
Male Human Slayer 3 (Vanguard archetype) HP 34/34 | AC 19 , T 14, FF 15 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +3 | CMD 19 | Perc. +7 | Init. +4

"Yes, all we seek is passage here. We do not want to stir up any trouble." Masym adds once the others have chimed in.

Diplomacy, (Aid another): 1d20 ⇒ 8


The guards seem unswayed by words, clearly very focused on their task (that being to keep ne'er do wells in check)... but the woman behind them utters a quick word, causing one of them to look backward momentarily.

She makes a quick, almost imperceptible, hand gesture and their mood seems to shift slightly. Still suspicious of you, they nevertheless step aside, motioning you towards their apparent charge... though they watch you menacingly the entire time you're there.

Approaching the tower, you get a much better view of the ice garden and marvel at the work that must have gone into creating it. Clearly something that would only be possible in the year-round frigid climes of Irrisen.

The woman watches you thoughtfully as you approach, still seated on the ice bench, her hands clasped in her lap. She has a slightly puzzled expression on her face.

"Haltani, was it?" She says finally, one dainty eyebrow raised. "And how is she doing? She is not with you?"

"I am Baroness Nadya." She adds, confirming what you already suspected. She stands up as she introduces herself and you quickly realize she is actually quite tall and rail thin. Combined with her blonde hair and pale skin, she seems strangely reminiscent of the icicle-like tower behind her.

"It is not often we get foreigners in Dalun." She adds, "Certainly not ones speaking of trade. Why exactly are you here?"

As she talks, she starts tending to one of the nearby bushes, almost like she's pruning it. Being made of ice, it is a strange process to observe, much less be needed.


Hmm... 24 hours and not a peep from anyone?

Silver Crusade

HP: 35/35 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 15 l F +7, R +4, W +9 l Adoration (7/7), Channel Energy (4/5), Clarifying Channel (1/1), Inspired (1/1), Resistant Touch (7/7) l L1: 4/4, D1: 1/1, L2: 2/3, D2: 1/1 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +4
Skills:
Craft: Musical Instruments +9, Diplomacy +9, Heal +10, Kn. Arcana/History +5, Kn. Planes +6, Kn. Religion +7, Linguistics +5, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +5
Female Human Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 l Active Condtions:

"She's fine...she just said that she had some business to see to before we meet up again," Nella responds with a shrug. "But she didn't say what it might be."

"I'm Nella Tabor and these are my friends," she continues. "We came to open trade negotiations, which I'm guessing you've already heard about it, and also to seek passage further into the land's interior."

She'll probably not buy that on its own but can we trust her with what we're really doing here?

"The trip here was...interesting, to say the least. We were almost taken for enemies and spies by the folks from Whiterook. Um...it seems like there's some bad blood between them and Dalun..." her voice trails off and she watches the Baroness closely to try and get some idea of what lies behind the woman's eyes.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18


2d20 ⇒ (6, 2) = 8

The Baroness outwards appearance shows little change as she talks, the resemblance to her ice palace seeming more then just physical. It does make her very hard to read however.

Nella:
You get the sense that she seems relieved that you are here, though you're not sure what about. She hides it well.

"We had been looking to set up trade with the ulfen of Southmoor, it is true. But the last such attempt, with Whiterook, went... poorly." She pauses briefly, her face a mask.

"I sent my daughter to head that effort." She adds, quietly. "That was nearly a month ago. None returned." There is just the briefest hint of anger there, before it is replaced by a cold smile. "But our business with the people of Whiterook is ours to remedy."

She deftly changes topics, seemingly not wanting to talk about the incident that has driven a wedge between the two towns. Instead, she switches back to your reason for being there.

"Why would you folks want to go inland?" She asks, her face going back to its default neutral state. "There is little out there for those of us who live here, much less visitors such as yourselves. You must have come a great distance for just ice and snow."

Liberty's Edge

Female half-elf bard 3 NG Medium humanoid (elf, human) Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +9 AC 15uch 11 flat-footed 14(+4armor, +1 Dex) hp 15 (3d8+3Fort +1, Ref +4 Will +4; +2 vs. enchantments Immune sleep

Some of those uncivilized folk can be pretty nasty. We have had our fare share of encounters with them. I am sorry to hear about your daughter, from what I understand, not knowing what happens to a child can be the worst feeling a parent can have she says emphatically.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16 diplomacy

Silver Crusade

HP: 35/35 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 15 l F +7, R +4, W +9 l Adoration (7/7), Channel Energy (4/5), Clarifying Channel (1/1), Inspired (1/1), Resistant Touch (7/7) l L1: 4/4, D1: 1/1, L2: 2/3, D2: 1/1 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +4
Skills:
Craft: Musical Instruments +9, Diplomacy +9, Heal +10, Kn. Arcana/History +5, Kn. Planes +6, Kn. Religion +7, Linguistics +5, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +5
Female Human Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 l Active Condtions:

"I'm sorry for your loss," Nella responds sincerely. Then she pauses and takes a deep breath.

Sometimes you have to show trust to gain trust. Shelyn be with me; I hope I'm not about to make a mistake...

"Baroness, we're not just here to foster trade - though that was part of the reason we came to Dalun. We're also archaeologists seeking to explore the ruins of what was once Naldak's Point - and that's why we came seeking permission to venture further into your country," she explains. "But it seems like we've also stepped into the middle of your own troubles with Whiterook. When we passed through, they claimed that a company from Dalun came under the guise of a peaceful mission and then attacked them."

"They wanted to use our coming here as cover to launch a counterattack, but we managed to talk them out of it - barely," she continues. "But the thing is, when we examine some of the bodies left from this so-called attack that Dalun launched, we found two insignias. Haltani and the people from Whiterook indicated that one represented Dalun but the other represented a place called Saarboten." She shakes her head. "I'm not sure what's going on between Whiterook, this Saarboten, and yourselves but it doesn't sound good and we'd like to not make it worse by our own presence. But...if there's something that we can do to help, then maybe we can do that...as a show of good faith?"

Diplomacy (Aid Another?): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
hp 22/27; AC 20/18/14 (AC 14/16, t12/14, ff10); F 4, R 3, W 3; bab 2 +5 melee +4 range; cmb 5 cmd 17; init +4; ap 2/3; wih 42; wmm 47 tengu magus (bladebound, kensai)/3
skills:
craft weapons 6, fly 8, kn arcane 8, perc 9/11, spellcraft 8, stealth 4

Tchak stands amazed by the Baroness' striking beauty, and stares at her unabashed until and unless she looks at him, at which time he'll blush, but she'll never know it because the feathers hide a myriad of sins, and he'll avert his gaze until she looks away... then he'll look at her again. He sighs softly and whispers "Stunning..." under his breath.


Saarbotten is on the map! You passed it on the boat ride in the day before.

The Baroness gives an almost imperceptible nod in response to Phoebee and Nella's empathetic comments, but her expression betrays little more. Nella's explanation of the Whiterook presence outside the town gates gets almost as little attention, meriting a mere We're aware. in response.

She does raise one manicured eyebrow at the mention of the attack, though.

"Saarbotten?" She responds. "That would by my dear sister, Uliyara, then." She frowns slightly before calling over one of her guards with little more then a slight hand gesture. She says a few quiet words to him, then turns back to you as the man hurries off.

"A family matter that will be remedied as well." She says, icily. "Your assistance will not be required."

"As for your request." Nadya continues, switching topics once more. "I know of Naldak's Point. It is not too far from here... though I fear you will find little there but ice."

She looks thoughtful for a moment, then nods slightly. "Very well, you may travel to this ruin of yours" She finally says. "But no farther." She adds. "It is perhaps three miles from here, though you will no doubt find it slow going. There are no established paths going there."

"Now, if you will. The day presses." Her tone is one of dismissal, and you find the guards suddenly at your side with no indication at all that she called for them, glaring at you, intent on leading you away from the palace.


You will be able to make your way to the eastern gate of Dalun, and find Haltani waiting for you there, bearing the equipment from the boat as well as some new gear of her own for traveling.

"She didn't have you executed, I see." She says cheerily, half smiling.

"We good to go? Will probably take three hours to get to the site Calisro marked on your map." She adds, looking to the east. "Not much out there, so should be easy enough, other then then the cold."

If you need/want any last minute equipment, now's your chance.
Would like a Survival check from Masym, for the trip, as well... as the location is basically just an X on a rough map =).

Liberty's Edge

Active Conditions:
Resources:
Bolts 17/20, Cold-Iron bolts 10/10, Silver bolts 10/10
Male Human Slayer 3 (Vanguard archetype) HP 34/34 | AC 19 , T 14, FF 15 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +3 | CMD 19 | Perc. +7 | Init. +4

Masym keeps quiet as the group is interrogated by the Baroness, although he cannot help but roll his eyes at Wei Tchak's infatuation with her.

Aye she be pretty...as most ice sculptures are. All told, I think I be happier with a warmer body. His gaze unconsciously strays to Phoebee.

When Nella brings up their true purpose for being here, he holds his breath in anticipation of a hostile response, only releasing it when the Baroness agrees to allow them access.

So far so good...now the fun begins... He thinks to himself as he takes his customary position leading the party.

Survival (avoid getting lost): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Silver Crusade

HP: 35/35 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 15 l F +7, R +4, W +9 l Adoration (7/7), Channel Energy (4/5), Clarifying Channel (1/1), Inspired (1/1), Resistant Touch (7/7) l L1: 4/4, D1: 1/1, L2: 2/3, D2: 1/1 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +4
Skills:
Craft: Musical Instruments +9, Diplomacy +9, Heal +10, Kn. Arcana/History +5, Kn. Planes +6, Kn. Religion +7, Linguistics +5, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +5
Female Human Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 l Active Condtions:

"No...and I guess the matter between Dalun, Whiterook, and Saarbotten will be resolved, in some manner," Nella responds, only now realizing that she'd been sweating the entire time speaking to the Baroness. "But she gave us permission to go. No farther than the ruins, but that'll hopefully be all that we need."

She shivers despite the feeling of warmth the Snowmask's blessing provided. "Right, let's get going."


You eventually make your way out of Dalun, heading east (and a little south) towards the supposed last known location of what used to be Naldak's Point. The area immediately surrounding Dalun consists of sparse forests of evergreen trees, long dormant, before eventually opening up into a relatively featureless snow-covered plain.

Masym takes the lead and and heads off across the barren expanse seemingly sure of where he's going, despite the lack of landmarks and the crudeness of the map. Eventually, the vast plain starts to give way to rugged hills, the snow to hard icy ground. Masym points towards an enormous rocky mound ahead of you, covered in ice and snow. As best he can tell, you are where the map said the ruins should be, and it is the only feature that stands out.

It takes you almost twenty minutes to circle around to the northeast side, where you find thick walls of ice cascading down the side of the hill like a miniature glacier. Partially encased in the cascading ice, you see two shapeless stone monoliths standing near the base of the mound. They may have once been statues of some sort, but thousands of years of pseudo-glacial erosion has worn any identifying features off of them, leaving only featureless obelisks to mark whatever once stood between them... that now being just sheets of ice.

Once you are right up next to it, you can feel a chill washing off the ice that even your new tolerance doesn't keep completely at bay. You can just barely make out the outlines of chiseled stonework through the ice, marking the edges of a worked tunnel of some sort.


EM±GM wrote:

"Saarbotten?" She responds. "That would by my dear sister, Uliyara, then." She frowns slightly before calling over one of her guards with little more then a slight hand gesture. She says a few quiet words to him, then turns back to you as the man hurries off.

Dangit, I got the name wrong, and too late to edit it! Got it correct earlier when Halvor mentioned her, and don't want to confuse folks any more then necessary!

Correction: Baroness Nadya's sister, and current ruler of Saarbotten, is Baroness Urgalaena!

Silver Crusade

Male Human Fighter (Archer) 1/Brawler 2: [HP:27/27 ] [AC:19 T:13 F:16][CMB +5, CMD 19] [ Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +1] [Init:+4, Percep:+7]
Active Abilities:
Rapid Shot (8 rounds)

Half to himself and half to the others, "I wonder if this clay we got will melt the ice."

Liberty's Edge

Female half-elf bard 3 NG Medium humanoid (elf, human) Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +9 AC 15uch 11 flat-footed 14(+4armor, +1 Dex) hp 15 (3d8+3Fort +1, Ref +4 Will +4; +2 vs. enchantments Immune sleep

This is pretty fascinating to see the impact that the cold had on this land. Beautiful but eerie

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /2 | HP: 7/17 | AC: 17 T: 12 FF: 15 | CMB: +1 CMD: 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +1 Will: +7 | Init: +3 Perc: +6 | Crossbow bolts: 93/100 | RebukeDeath 7/7, Channel 5/5 | L1 Spells:

Malusha trudges through the snow doing his best to follow in the footsteps of those ahead of him but at the same time he tries to walk next to Nella. "So what did you think of that ice garden?" he asks her. "I thought it was interesting. It was beautiful, it's own way."

The two carry on a conversation of small talk while Masym leads the group.

When they arrive at the ice encrusted statues Malusha gapes in awe. "That is amazing." He nods at Phoebee's comment. "Yes, it is eerie."


Yes, the blackfire clay will help with this considerably, especially since the best you can figure, you have a few feet of ice to get through, at least.

Knowledge (engineering) DC 15:
Your best estimate, if you use the entire supply of blackfire clay, it will be probably take about two hours to make a sufficiently large enough hole to pass through.

However, you think with a little strategic placement, you might be able to cut that time in half.

Liberty's Edge

Active Conditions:
Resources:
Bolts 17/20, Cold-Iron bolts 10/10, Silver bolts 10/10
Male Human Slayer 3 (Vanguard archetype) HP 34/34 | AC 19 , T 14, FF 15 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +3 | CMD 19 | Perc. +7 | Init. +4

Knowledge (Engineering): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

"Eerie is not the exact term I would use...but it works, no doubt!" Masym comments wryly as he carefully examines the statues. "I think we will need to use the blackfire clay here...just not sure how much..."

Silver Crusade

HP: 35/35 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 15 l F +7, R +4, W +9 l Adoration (7/7), Channel Energy (4/5), Clarifying Channel (1/1), Inspired (1/1), Resistant Touch (7/7) l L1: 4/4, D1: 1/1, L2: 2/3, D2: 1/1 l Init +2 l Senses: Perception +4
Skills:
Craft: Musical Instruments +9, Diplomacy +9, Heal +10, Kn. Arcana/History +5, Kn. Planes +6, Kn. Religion +7, Linguistics +5, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +5
Female Human Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 4 l Active Condtions:

"It was beautiful but almost a little sad, too," Nella responds quietly as she and Malusha talk. "Maybe it's just because I'm used to seeing green trees and rolling hills but all the ice and snow here, it's like the promise of something that'll never be. Spring won't ever come to this land..." she says sadly.

Once they arrive at the spot Masym designates, all the priestess can do is look at the clay and shrugs. "I don't know anything about how this stuff works I'm afraid. Someone will have to explain it to me."

Liberty's Edge

Female half-elf bard 3 NG Medium humanoid (elf, human) Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +9 AC 15uch 11 flat-footed 14(+4armor, +1 Dex) hp 15 (3d8+3Fort +1, Ref +4 Will +4; +2 vs. enchantments Immune sleep

know arcana 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 to see if she knows about the clay.

Liberty's Edge

Female half-elf bard 3 NG Medium humanoid (elf, human) Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +9 AC 15uch 11 flat-footed 14(+4armor, +1 Dex) hp 15 (3d8+3Fort +1, Ref +4 Will +4; +2 vs. enchantments Immune sleep

LOL. Maybe she thinks it is for a facial!


Not entirely sure the best way to do it, you decide that more is better. The clay proves to be shapeable, and you can easily mold it and lay it down on the section of ice you decide will give you the most direct access to the tunnel you see inside.

It turns out to be a long and slow process. The clay provides a lot of heat, but melting ice takes time, and there's a lot of it to go through. On the plus side, the heat from the clay radiates backwards, as well as forward, and the entire area you're attempting to breach warms up considerably as you go.

You are almost two hours in, and on the last of the clay, before part of the curtain of ice finally cracks, and a large chunk falls away with a crash, leaving a considerably larger opening then you'd planned into the area beyond.

You barely have time to celebrate however, when a voice behind you speaks.

"Well, isn't that special. Digging in the snow like errant pups."

You turn quickly, to see a large white wolf standing on the rise about ten yards behind you, watching. The creature is huge, about the size of a horse. It sits casually on its haunches and you see it yawn, showing long sharp fangs. A layer of frost seems to have built up around its muzzle, and watches you alertly with pale blue eyes.

It takes you a moment to realize it was the wolf itself that was speaking. Not a normal wolf at all!

"You do not belong here, humans." It says, almost dismissively. "But I can overlook that. You have brought me something I have been hunting for. Hand it over, and I will allow you to live."

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /2 | HP: 7/17 | AC: 17 T: 12 FF: 15 | CMB: +1 CMD: 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +1 Will: +7 | Init: +3 Perc: +6 | Crossbow bolts: 93/100 | RebukeDeath 7/7, Channel 5/5 | L1 Spells:

"A talking wolf!" Malusha exclaims before he can stop himself. He glances at the others then back to the wolf. "We brought you something? What?"

Liberty's Edge

Active Conditions:
Resources:
Bolts 17/20, Cold-Iron bolts 10/10, Silver bolts 10/10
Male Human Slayer 3 (Vanguard archetype) HP 34/34 | AC 19 , T 14, FF 15 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +3 | CMD 19 | Perc. +7 | Init. +4

"And...uhhh...what exactly would that be?" Masym asks warily as his hand strays to his spear.

Liberty's Edge

Female half-elf bard 3 NG Medium humanoid (elf, human) Init +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +9 AC 15uch 11 flat-footed 14(+4armor, +1 Dex) hp 15 (3d8+3Fort +1, Ref +4 Will +4; +2 vs. enchantments Immune sleep

[ooc[ I wonder if wolves are open to flattery? [/ooc]

2,751 to 2,800 of 3,007 << first < prev | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Frozen Fingers of Midnight All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.