Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Dungeon Master Heathy's Carrion Crown

Game Master Heathansson


1 to 50 of 11,156 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

Introduction

It's a small pub attached to a carriage house, mayhap a half a day's hard ride south of Ravengro.

The party trickles in as coaches arrive from this place or another about Ustalav, gradually trickling in, wasting idle time, waiting for the last stage to Ravengro.....but the food is better than substandard, and the suds flow easily, and it's a typical chilly, drizzly early afternoon in the middle of the Moors of Ustalav.

feel free to ask me any questions, have your character show up at the pub, or converse with other players at your leisure; we're waiting for everybody to get rolled up here.
As the adventure states, you're all on your way to Ravengro, to attend the Professor's funeral. We'll roll with the action whenever everybody's ready; ergo no big hurry or anything.


Human Alchemist 1/Fighter 1

dot


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

"Ah! A customer!" a middleaged man in with a beard comes out from the doorway behind the bar;
"what'll you have? We've fine mulled wine to exit the chill from your bones. I've rabbit stew as well....amongst other things. Make yourself at home, sorr."

Gazes about; the place is somewhat absent of population.


Human Alchemist 1/Fighter 1

"Oooh, rabbit stew..." Myron shakes off his greatcoat and carefully leans his carryall against the wall. "I'll have that and bowl of barley soup. It's been a while since I passed through here. Anything interesting happening now? Bandits, plague, rabid wolves?"


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4

“Zombies, ghouls, werewolves?” continues a voice from behind Myron. Another traveller has come in from the rain. Castiel of Fangwood shakes the water from the brim of his hat, folds it and tucks it away into an inside pocket of the long armoured coat he wears. He raises an eyebrow and nods politely at Myron.

“This is Ustalav after all.”


Human Wizard 6
dungeonmaster heathy wrote:

"Ah! A customer!" a middleaged man in with a beard comes out from the doorway behind the bar;

"what'll you have? We've fine mulled wine to exit the chill from your bones. I've rabbit stew as well....amongst other things. Make yourself at home, sorr."

As the publican greets this newcomer, a young lady looks up from her book. Her hair is swept back and tightly controlled, and she's neatly dressed in a neat blue travelling dress. She's seated at a quiet table in a corner of the room and so far it seems that the barman hasn't noticed her; she has no drink or meal.

She opens her mouth to say something, then shrugs and resumes reading her book. Knowledge is, after all, more important than mere food...


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!
Myron Swackhammer wrote:
"Oooh, rabbit stew..." Myron shakes off his greatcoat and carefully leans his carryall against the wall. "I'll have that and bowl of barley soup. It's been a while since I passed through here. Anything interesting happening now? Bandits, plague, rabid wolves?"

"Hmm...there's been reports of....disturbances on the road to Ravengro...as to what I cannot say.

A pair of travelers disappeared there, recently though. Two farmers, taking a wagonload back to Ravengro from somewhere. They found the wagon, but their oxen, their wares, and the two farmers.....not a trace."


Human Wizard 6
dungeonmaster heathy wrote:

"Hmm...there's been reports of....disturbances on the road to Ravengro...as to what I cannot say.

A pair of travelers disappeared there, recently though. Two farmers, taking a wagonload back to Ravengro from somewhere. They found the wagon, but their oxen, their wares, and the two farmers.....not a trace."

Alinya's book closes with a snap, and she looks up, eyes wide.

"On the road to Ravengro, you say? That is most disturbing. I must travel there tomorrow - do you suppose the Carriage Service is still safe? Oh, perhaps I should have brought a guard after all."


Castiel appraoches the lady’s table and bows. “Ma’am, as it so happens I am also traveling to the town of Ravengro on the morrow. I am versed in the art of swordplay and blessed by the divine power of The Inheritor; I offer what protection I may give. My name is Castiel.”


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

Sometimes "Castiel of Fangwood" is "DM Mothman".....same thing's happened to Hudak becoming "Dungeonmaster Heathy" once or twice,....;)


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4
dungeonmaster heathy wrote:
Sometimes "Castiel of Fangwood" is "DM Mothman".....same thing's happened to Hudak becoming "Dungeonmaster Heathy" once or twice,....;)

doh! Could have sworn it was the right avatar whenI posted...


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =116,385(cast as a 9th level cleric)

Huzzah!!!


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4

Ha!


Human Alchemist 1/Fighter 1
DM Mothman wrote:
Castiel appraoches the lady’s table and bows. “Ma’am, as it so happens I am also traveling to the town of Ravengro on the morrow. I am versed in the art of swordplay and blessed by the divine power of The Inheritor; I offer what protection I may give. My name is Castiel.”

"Really? As fate would have it, I am headed to Ravengro myself. What are the chances?" Myron wanders over to the other two. "I'm handy in a fight myself if it should come to that. Name's Myron, lately of Mendev."


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!
Myron Swackhammer wrote:
"Really? As fate would have it, I am headed to Ravengro myself. What are the chances?"

i know right?


Human Wizard 6
Myron Swackhammer wrote:
DM Mothman wrote:
Castiel appraoches the lady’s table and bows. “Ma’am, as it so happens I am also traveling to the town of Ravengro on the morrow. I am versed in the art of swordplay and blessed by the divine power of The Inheritor; I offer what protection I may give. My name is Castiel.”
"Really? As fate would have it, I am headed to Ravengro myself. What are the chances?" Myron wanders over to the other two. "I'm handy in a fight myself if it should come to that. Name's Myron, lately of Mendev."

"Well then Castiel and Myron, it seems the fates are throwing us together, at least for a time. I am the La - ah - you can call me Alinya." She stumbles slightly over her words and blushes, clearly unused to even such minor deception.

"I would welcome your company tomorrow. I'm no fighter, but I have learned something of the healing arts, and may be of some use in a struggle."

Alinya sits back down and motions to Myron and Castiel, "Will you join me for supper?"


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4

Castiel looks to Myron and raises an eyebrow, before turning back to Alinya. “Certainly we’ll join you ma’am, Iomedae bless you for the offer.”

Once seated, (and with his armoured coat and weapon harness hung on the back of the chair or draped over his travel bag behind him), Castiel turns to Myron. “Mendev you say? You must be involved in the crusade then?”


Myron Swackhammer wrote:


"Really? As fate would have it, I am headed to Ravengro myself. What are the chances?" Myron wanders over to the other two. "I'm handy in a fight myself if it should come to that. Name's Myron, lately of Mendev."

"Ah. The odds are what you make of them. Although the statistical probability of not 2, but four travelers all meeting in a roadside inn, with business in Ravengro on the same date, does seem somewhat improbable." Chimes in the newest arrival with a cultured, pleasant, yet mildly mocking voice.

The latest newcomer is standing in the doorway, shaking his coat out, although none heard him enter. He wears a long traveling coat, with a woolen hat on his head with the side flaps tied up. This he promptly removes and shoves into a pocket of his voluminous coat before divesting himself of the coat and carelessly draping it over a chair. He is dressed in stylish if sensible traveling clothes, the heavy pants tucked into well-polished boots. He smiles pleasantly at the small group as he steps up to the table, his eyes dancing over all of them with a piercing intensity that belies his casual smile.

"Although, logically, if you take into account that Ravengro is the only town of note nearby, and the seasonal conditions, and the usual delays with the coaches, etc, etc, it once again falls into the realm of a passable coincidence. After all, as I always say, 'If you eliminate the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the truth.' I really must write that down one day, before someone else takes credit for it." he grins.

"Castiel, Myron, La - ah - Alinya." He says with only a hint of a smile. "Allow me to introduce myself. The name is Drood, Edwin Drood. At your service. May I join you?" He bows slightly but politely, and pulls up a chair and sits without waiting for a response.


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4

“Four of us!” Castiel exclaims, shifting a chair out with his foot for the newcomer to sit down. “The gods work in mysterious ways ... well, I’ve never been to the town before, as it happens I’m headed there to attend a funeral ... if any of you have been that way before, perhaps you can recommend a place to stay?”


"Oh, I don't know. I find that humanoid-kind can work enough mischief all on their own without any assistance from the 'Powers that Be'. However, as it happens I have been to Ravengro on occasion before. And, in yet another amazing coincidence, I too am going to attend a funeral." The young man looks at the others with a single eyebrow raised in a silent question that speaks volumes.


Human Alchemist 1/Fighter 1

"Ah, yes, I was indeed part of the crusades - I spent six years in Mendev with Olenko's Numerian Fusiliers. I'm not really Numerian, but that's the way to go if you want good engineering..." Myron pulls a face. "Odd fellow, Olenko, with his bizarre metal-man advisors and weird addictions. He finally made good on his threats to return to Numeria a couple of months ago, and I thought it was time for me to try something new as well."

"The more, the merrier," Myron grins at the newcomer. "Please sit down. Now, this funeral wouldn't be for a certain professor, would it? Or is Ravengro experiencing a sudden rush of unfortunate deaths?"


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4

Castiel’s eyes narrow and he strokes the slight stubble at his jaw. “Hmmm ... being stationed at Vigil, sudden rashes of deaths in Ustalav are the sort of things that concern us ... but no, I hadn’t heard that to be the case. I am indeed travelling to Ravengro to attend Professor Lorimor’s funeral – I imagine that is the gentleman you refer to? I’m not really certain of the circumstances of his death. I received a letter from his lawyer suggesting that I was named in the late Professor’s Will, and that said document stipulated I was to be present at his funeral.”


Human Wizard 6

Aline gestures for Edwin to join them at the table. "Yes I too am to attend the dear Professor's funeral. Tell me, do any of you know how he died? The letter I received was so vague - and I had not heard that he was ill. It's all been, well, rather a shock."


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4

Castiel shakes his head, and absently strokes the sword and sunburst holy symbol he wears about his neck. “The letter I received didn’t go into much detail, beyond the date of the funeral and the request that I attend. To be honest I was a little surprised; I actually didn’t know the professor all that well, although from what I did know of him he was a good and honourable man. Very sad to hear he’s no longer with us. Of course,” Castiel pauses, and glances about a little smugly, “on our first meeting I did save the man’s life. I expect that’s why he’s written me into his will.”


A stranger sitting in the dark at the corner, seemingly lost in thought, starts up. A young man with a thick shock of dark hair, he is dressed in the armour of a knight of Lastwall.

"The Professor's dead? But I travelled all the way from the Belkzen front to meet him!"


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4

Castiel glances at Edwin, an eyebrow raised, before squinting into the dark corner to try to see the stranger clearly. “It appears so; given the sort of night this is, I do suppose you’re talking about the same professor we are …?”

Aubrey, would our characters know each other at all? Castiel is a cleric of Iomedae from Lastwall, and has served with the military force in Vigil.


It's possible, and if I had been paying more attention at the beginning we could have arrived together. But it hasn't worked out like that, and in any case the Belkzen front is pretty long. You have probably heard of my deceased father, Adaric, a famous hero of Lastwall and under whose shadow dear Darias labours.


Edwin seems less surprised than the others at the latest patron speaking up. He waves at the proprietor to attend them as he scoots his chair over and indicates the armored man to join them.

He looks around the table, taking note of everyone's clothing, arms, armour, etc. and smiles a little smugly.

"Well well. A Holy warrior of Iomedae, Priests of Iomedae and Pharasma, an Alchemical Bombardier, a Conjurer of Creatures Mysterious, and,..." He places fingertips lightly on his chest, "the regions foremost, and possibly only, consulting detective." He adds with no trace of modesty.

"The good professor did get around, didn't he?" He smiles.


"Did he? It was my father he knew, not me." Darias looks down at the symbol of Iomedae on his brooch securing his cloak somewhat self-consciously.

Did you see that - how I steered the conversation just then? Then it's ready for the big reveal on my paternal issues and a massive whinge about how no one understands me.


Human Alchemist 1/Fighter 1

"Never met the man myself. We did correspond a bit, though."


Darias Bleakstone wrote:

Did you see that - how I steered the conversation just then? Then it's ready for the big reveal on my paternal issues and a massive whinge about how no one understands me.

LOL, Can't wait! ;P


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4

“Please join us,” Castiel says to the newcomer. “A warrior of Lastwall like myself – and the Belkzen front! Hard duty that is, though noble and worthy … say, you look somewhat familiar, have we met? Hmmm, or maybe I’m thinking of an older gentleman with a similar appearance … allow me to introduce myself, I am Castiel.”

There you go.


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4

Castiel turns to Edwin with a questioning look on his face. “Wait, what? Who is everyone?” He looks around the table and does a quick head count. “How do you know?”


Human Wizard 6
Darias Bleakstone wrote:

"Did he? It was my father he knew, not me." Darias looks down at the symbol of Iomedae on his brooch securing his cloak somewhat self-consciously.

"Oh - your father knew the Professor? Did they travel together on the professor's explorations and adventures? It must be exciting to come from a heroic family. I don't think mine has done anything exciting for generations."

There, that's two straight lines for you ;)


Human Wizard 6
Castiel of Fangwood wrote:
Castiel turns to Edwin with a questioning look on his face. “Wait, what? Who is everyone?” He looks around the table and does a quick head count. “How do you know?”

"Presumably he knows by virtue of being a 'consulting detective'. Though - what does that mean, exactly?"


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4

Castiel’s eyes narrow. “I hope you didn’t cast any detective spells on me without asking?”


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

I'm loving this......might as well just keep my usually blabbity mouth shut and let it happen man.


"Some,... 'Detective spells',... Ah, No. Although I suppose I could craft some if I put my mind to it. Hm,... perhaps something to consider later. Although I wouldn't want to make my job TOO easy, where would the challenge lie?" Edwin drawls casually, then gives a small, self-satisfied smirk.

"Indeed, I cast no spells, although I know a couple of useful charms. I merely made logical deductions based on the evidence before me. Allow me to demonstrate."

The thin man turns to Castiel, barely able to hide the merriment in his eyes. Whatever else he may be, he obviously enjoys being the center of attention.

"Allow me to begin with you, so that you may rest easy." He looks at Castiel a moment longer and clears his throat.

"Your name is Castiel, you are a cleric of Iomedea, you have recently served in the armed forces, where you were stationed at Vigil, and have been to the Belkan front. You met the Professor when you saved his life, probably from some strange creature he was attempting to study, and, presumably like the rest of us, you are heading to attend his funeral to pay your respects, and because you may have been mentioned in his will." Edwin says smugly.

"That was too easy, actually. You told us most of that yourself, while you were introducing yourself to the others. Your holy symbol, while simple, is well-cared for, and shiny from being oft-used. While you carry a sword, you also carry a silver dagger and a wooden stake in your weapons harness, which are not common weapons of a standard soldier. So, while you are obviously trained in fighting, and have the brawn to back it up, I deduced that you are a cleric."

Edwin turns to the lone female at the table.
"The young lady provided a much more interesting challenge. As well as being more pleasant to look at. No offense gentlemen." He grins goodnaturedly.

"While she clearly wears a Holy symbol of Pharasma prominently displayed, (Also well-used), she is just as clearly no warrior, and could be merely a devotee. However, another look shows a small but serviceable mace and crossbow atop her belongings behind her chair, but no visible armor. A look at her hands shows them to be unblemished by scars or callus. So, she is trained in the basics of self-defense, but of a decidedly scholarly bent. Her traveling dress is sensible, but better made than the average, and bears a particularly attractive pattern in the lace at the collar that I have only seen once before, in Ustalav. Her boots also show hardly any of the mud outside, but still bear a trace of a different colored dirt upon them from her point of origin, far enough distant to be of a different color then the nearby regions."
"SO, she is a cleric of Pharasma, she comes from a well-to-do middle or upper class family from the Ustalav region, and recently arrived by coach, where the coachman was kind enough to drop off his female passenger at the door of the inn." Edwin smiles and leans back inhis chair, looking pleased with himself.

"And that is what I do. I take what is in plain sight for all to see, put it together with information I have gathered in my travels, and make logical deductions. I started out traveling as a tale-weaver, but developed a thirst for knowledge in general. As I traveled gathering tales and trading information with others, like the late professor, I discovered that I had a penchant for unraveling mysteries. I enjoy the challenge they bring. And so, I assist those who have particularly challenging or interesting problems. The challenges prevent me from becoming bored." he smirks.


Human Wizard 6
Edwin Drood wrote:
"And that is what I do. I take what is in plain sight for all to see, put it together with information I have gathered in my travels, and make logical deductions. I started out traveling as a tale-weaver, but developed a thirst for knowledge in general. As I traveled gathering tales and trading information with others, like the late professor, I discovered that I had a penchant for unraveling mysteries..."

"Oh bravo!" Alinya's eyes sparkle and she looks on the verge of applauding. "Most entertaining, and for my part a very clever deduction. I would ask you to be discrete however - I don't want my name spread all over Ravengro after all."

"Now, should we order food? Do you think it will be safe to eat here? I've heard unsavory tales of what goes on in the kitchens of roadside inns."


Darias eyes Droord suspiciously. "So what do your detective powers say about me?" he asks pugnaciously.


A large greataxe-bearing half orc brutishly enters, knocking the door half off its hinges, stopping in the opening, and casting a frighteningly large and ugly shadow across the dingy floor.

He snarls. Ambles to a table on the far side of the tavern and sits on a stool which creaks painfully, barely containing his weight.

He spits on the floor, pulls a dead gnome out of his sizable belt pouch, and props it up in the chair next to him, rubbing his temples and muttering to himself or the gnome, it's not quite clear.

The limp gnome appears to have been fatally wounded, it's spine and several limbs hanging at anatomically impossible angles, and by the smell in the early stages of decay.


I AM THE LORD OF ALL HELLFIRE!!!!!

I like the trust mechanic.


dungeonmaster heathy wrote:
I like the trust mechanic.

Spoiler:
The gnome's name is (was) George. He is Wod's former fellow drifter/traveling companion.
Anyone who wants to improvise a previous relationship with Wod, cool... check out the spoiler.

Human Wizard 6
Wod wrote:

A large greataxe-bearing half orc brutishly enters, knocking the door half off its hinges, stopping in the opening, and casting a frighteningly large and ugly shadow across the dingy floor.

As the apparition bursts into the common room, Alinya startles to her feet, muffling an involuntary squeek behind hands raised to he mouth. She backs into the corner, putting the suddenly reassuring figures of Castiel and Darias in front of her. One hand reaches for the Symbol of Pharasma round her neck and in trembling tones she manages, "Castiel - Pharasma preserve you. What is that?" Cast protection from evil on Castiel.

Nice entrance Kruely :)


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4

I think we’re going to have one of those games where characters die (ie, Castiel when he pissses of the half-orc barbarian) before the adventure officially starts ...

“That, my good lady, is an orc. And a particularly ugly one too.” Castiel reaches for his sword and holy symbol, then glances at Darias. “Looks like you boys on the Belkzen front let one slip through. Iomedae’s blessings upon us – we may have a fight on our hands here. Stay behind us Lady Alinya.”

Stands, grabs sword and casts bless. Sword is still sheathed.

Despite his bravado, Castiel is wise enough to note the orc’s size, its huge bulging muscles, the greataxe that rests by its side ... and also the fact that it is sitting at a table in an inn, rather than raping, burning and pillaging. “Hold about,” he mutters to his new companions. “Despite its grotesque and savage appearance ... it’s not behaving much like any orc I’ve faced. It could be a half-breed.”

Castiel decides not to charge in before testing if the hideous thing has any knowledge of civilised language, laws or society. “Ho there traveller,” he calls to the orc. “Are you aware that it is against the local laws to transport a humanoid corpse outside of a sealed casket? You’re going to have to bag your ... companion there.”


Castiel of Fangwood wrote:

“Are you aware that it is against the local laws to transport a humanoid corpse outside of a sealed casket? You’re going to have to bag your ... companion there.”

Thinking for a few (long) seconds--Wod remains seated.

"George is sleeping, shiny man. You don't wake George."

Wod picks at a row of scabs that look like they may be from a pitchfork puncture.


Darias leaps to his feet and draws his sword.

"Creature! Explain yourself or face the steel of Lastwall!"


Darias Bleakstone wrote:

Darias leaps to his feet and draws his sword.

"Creature! Explain yourself or face the steel of Lastwall!"

"Wod have bag of coins. Wod want buy food. Wod sit in tavern. Man talk loud. Wod ask nice 'don't wake George'. Now other man shout not friendly thing and make Wod angry. Now Wod finish explain."

Wod unslings his greataxe and stands.

"But Wod not know where is steel of Lastwall, so Wod think other shiny man want to take turn and explain. Maybe Wod still want to see Lastwall steel."

Intimidate 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Iomedae (Undead Scourge) 4

Was target of intimidate skill Castiel or Darias?


Castiel of Fangwood wrote:
Was target of intimidate skill Castiel or Darias?

Take Wod as quoted but he's looking at Castiel now, so I'd rule it was at Castiel.

1 to 50 of 11,156 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dungeon Master Heathy's Carrion Crown All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.