Disjunction

Game Master Diamondust

A lost city found. A group of scientists lost.


351 to 400 of 514 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

Male Human INACTIVE
Diamondust wrote:


Cooil and Desmond and others perhaps

Sorry, forgot about your photoshoot. Finding a good place where there is a clear line of sight to the Angel for your camera takes a few minutes of searching. Some of the villagers watch you, curious about this device you have, convinced it is magical. The photos show that once the brightness of it dims there are no observable features on its surface like are on earth's moon. That doesn't mean that there aren't features on its surface, just that the light coming from it is allowing no shadows to fall for the camera to detect any. Photographic proof of such a strange phenomenon will be invaluable when explaining this back on earth. Earth, it seems especially far away tonight.

Between this and his conversation with Gordon, not sure which is happening first, but such is the weirdness of forum pbp

"Interesting to say the least. I have to admit I'm out of my element when it comes to explaining such astrologucal phenomenon."

Desmond begins to chuckle at himself, "I don't kniw why I'm still reaching for rational explanations for what's going in here. I mean, Cooil, you had a conversation with a fox! That the orb which lights this world is an angelic being is equally as plausible now as any scientific explanation we can come up with. I think from here on out, I'm going to start taking things on faith."


male Human Expert 7 Roll20 | perception +9

Cooil is disappointed the pictures did not reveal more, but takes comfort that in science, even a null result can be valuable for what hypotheses it excludes. He tries one more thing to get more info on the Angel. If he can create a prism, he will try to view the spectrum of the light from the sky. He will also see if he can detect any infrared or ultraviolet light.

knowledge (engineering): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33

During the prayer song, Cooil sings along, trying to provide a bass line. While he's not a great singer, he's used to singing hymns. He offers to teach them a simple song to share in the spirit of the effort. Its words are, "For health and strength and daily bread we give thee thanks our Lord." The melody is a simple descending scale that can also be sung as a round.

At the appropriate (private) time he shares with Qualin his experience with the fox. "It sounds like I am being offered an initiation into a special role. Can you tell me what might happen if I return and agree to learn more? And what do you think the fox meant when he said that, 'The angel does what it thinks is best, but there is always someone who suffers as a result'?"


male Human Expert 7 Roll20 | perception +9
Father McKinley wrote:
Diamondust wrote:


Cooil and Desmond and others perhaps

Desmond begins to chuckle at himself, "I don't kniw why I'm still reaching for rational explanations for what's going in here. I mean, Cooil, you had a conversation with a fox! That the orb which lights this world is an angelic being is equally as plausible now as any scientific explanation we can come up with. I think from here on out, I'm going to start taking things on faith."

"I've always had trouble understanding that word faith. Always seems to mean something different, but too often it means I really wish this were true. No disrespect meant, Father; just something I've observed. I think too often we look for answers in the wrong direction, out there," Cooil gestures toward the light in the sky, "instead of in here," and he points to his heart and then his head.

Then he quotes something he heard in a movie of all places: And finally this question, the mystery of whose story it will be. Of who draws the curtain. Who is it that chooses our steps in the dance? Who drives us mad? Lashes us with whips and crowns us with victory when we survive the impossible? Who is it, that does all of these things? Who honors those we love for the very life we live? Who sends monsters to kill us, and at the same time sings that we will never die? Who teaches us what's real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend? Who chains us? And who holds the key that can set us free... It's you. You have all the weapons you need. Now fight!


Female Human Expert 7 | HP 63/63 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 17 CMB 6 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +6 | Initiative +1 | Perception +11

Sounds like a teen romance, really. "Love is all you need." Faith is not just hope... it's belief made real, not just because you clap your hands for tinkerbell or some fictional nonsense, but because you are so confident in your belief in something actual that you are willing to act on it and live by it. And that is a power in the lives of those with that confidence, and who have made the effort to find out for themselves, even if the evidence isn't tactile enough for all. You want to rely on yourself, that's great... but God makes me better than I could ever be without him. All of this, around us, this is evidence of something beyond ourselves. Seems a silly time to be arguing against faith.

Dark Archive

Male Human INACTIVE

"I've seen some truly remarkable things done in the name of faith. Faith is beyond belief, and has more to do with trust than all else. I agree with Janice that faith gives us the will to act, because we trust in the goodness or rightness of our actions. Of course, it was Crowley who said something to the effect of, it is not faith but certainty which makes magic work. What I'm saying is, I think I'm going to act here on out on the faith that an Angel watches over this planet we are on, and not just a hot ball of boiling gas. Yes, somehow that lifts a great burden from my heart."


male Human Expert 7 Roll20 | perception +9

"I've got no problem with faith in general. I have faith in our ability to figure this out. I have faith in you all and in my own inner resources. But what in this new realm can we have faith in? This could all be an illusion or an evil plot or a world of demons or angels of a sort we have never imagined.

"We only have what we brought with us. Keep in mind, one the residents told me that when this angel acts there is always someone who suffers as a result. I'm not sure I have faith that the magical translation 'angel' matches our own mythological sense of the word. But of course, we each must do what we think best, so don't let my musings distract you from that."


Janice

"Always be careful not to build the flame higher than you can control. I burnt myself badly learning this very lesson as a child. Never rush." You now have Prestidigitation and Detect Magic as known Cantrips. More can be discovered with more 'practise'. You also have the feat Eschew Materials.

Cooil

This would be after he comes back from meeting with Janice Qualin is surprised that you were given such an intimate encounter with the spirits. "Only the Gardeners commune with the spirits. This is a strange thing indeed. Do you talk to the spirits of your world?" He seems confused at the fox's words, "You must have misheard it, or it is testing you. The spirits would never speak against the Angel. Perhaps it meant that those who fight the Angel will suffer, such as the Forsaken in their darkness, for they go against what is best. Perhaps you should speak to a Gardener. The one who alerted us to your presence might still be here, but they are nomadic, calling the entire area of our people which they maintain, their home, rarely visiting our villages."

With the prism of glass you split the light and view the results which look just the same as when you have done this demonstration on earth. At least light is still the same everywhere in the universe. Your eyes cannot detect infrared or ultraviolet so I'm not sure what you meant by that.

Gordon

Though you have figured out how to decipher this book, it is FILLED with formulae. Making sense of it all will be slow going. There doesn't seem to be the tools possessed by the tree people but you know there is the Citadel they keep mentioning. Otherwise if you found your way back to earth you could easily acquire the tools and materials to test the truth of the book. "You found it lying in the rubble of a room with a destroyed door?" He seems more worried about the fact that a door was destroyed than the seeming 'miracle' of a book surviving such violence. "There would be panic if it was known that our spirit door could be destroyed. Please you must not tell anyone what you saw." He seems greatly concerned and mostly passes over the book, saying they have no need for books here, suggesting the Citadel as a place where someone might know more. Which formula did you decide to learn first? You can write it in your character sheet as a formula known.

Jasper

Your thoughts seem to keep coming back to the wood cabin of your dreams and the aged body of the hermit and his message, beckoning you to make haste. The apostles were the messengers in the bible, oracles of the gospel. Perhaps there is a message that someone wants you to hear, or perhaps carry.


Male Human Male Expert 7 | HP 70/70 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 18 CMB 7 | Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +5 | Initiative +5 | Perception +10

Thinking Heightened Awareness. Don't want to start with something that seems much more than an alchemical or even capable from a drug.


male Human Expert 7 Roll20 | perception +9
Diamondust wrote:


Cooil This would be after he comes back from meeting with Janice Qualin is surprised that you were given such an intimate encounter with the spirits. "Only the Gardeners commune with the spirits. This is a strange thing indeed. Do you talk to the spirits of your world?" He seems confused at the fox's words, "You must have misheard it, or it is testing you. The spirits would never speak against the Angel. Perhaps it meant that those who fight the Angel will suffer, such as the Forsaken in their darkness, for they go against what is best. Perhaps you should speak to a Gardener. The one who alerted us to your presence might still be here, but they are nomadic, calling the entire area of our people which they maintain, their home, rarely visiting our villages."

"So I spoke to a spirit in the form of a fox? Or was the fox one of the Gardeners? I have studied with people at my world who communicate with spirits, but I have never been successful at it. Some speak of a boundary between the world of the spirits and the world of flesh as the veil. Perhaps the veil is thinner here."

Diamondust wrote:
With the prism of glass you split the light and view the results which look just the same as when you have done this demonstration on earth. At least light is still the same everywhere in the universe. Your eyes cannot detect infrared or ultraviolet so I'm not sure what you meant by that.

I was thinking Cooil's camera might be equipped to detect infrared or UV. It might reveal things an archaeologist might be able to use. For example, ground that has water just below it might be cooler and hence give off less IR light.

While Cooil expected the prism to refract light into colors, there are differences between the spectrum produced by the sun and other artificial sources of light. I was thinking he might be able to tell something about the source of the light by the spectrum characteristics. For example, if you look at fluorescent lighting, you see gaps in the spectrum. Incandescent light is stronger in the red side than the violet.


male Human Expert 7 Roll20 | perception +9

Cooil is inclined to return and see if he can talk to the fox/spirit. He will pass on the reservations some have about allowing people through the door. He would like to learn more about speaking with spirits, particularly after seeing Janice learn new spells and Gordon learn an alchemical formula.

Dark Archive

Male Human INACTIVE
Cooil MacCray, PhD, DDiv wrote:


While Cooil expected the prism to refract light into colors, there are differences between the spectrum produced by the sun and other artificial sources of light. I was thinking he might be able to tell something about the source of the light by the spectrum...

The exact scientific instrument for measuring this would be a spectrometer.


male Human Expert 7 Roll20 | perception +9

... which Cooil probably wouldn't have, although the functional part of a spectrometer is a diffraction grating, which is small (they are embedded in glass and can be just a few centimeters square) so it could be something he might have. If he can't get any clues based on his roll, that's okay. It's just something a physicist would think to do.


If that's a common instrument, and small enough, then you could have it. The light here is the same as earth sunlight though.

Cooil

Qualin is unsure how you do not understand. "The Spirits are not Gardeners. They are Spirits. The Gardeners are like us. They are physical. You met one on the night you arrived."

Jasper:

That night you again have the same dream. A lightly furnished wood cabin with a rickety old chair with a blanket covered hermit staring into the fire. Follow the Citadel's light. When you lose the light you will soon find this place.

The next day comes...

What activities are you each doing together or separately?


Female Human Expert 7 | HP 63/63 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 17 CMB 6 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +6 | Initiative +1 | Perception +11

Janice is going to ask Qualin about the dream. Then she is going to work on her magic, trying to immerse herself in that awareness again to see if she can learn more.

What day were the leaders supposed to get here? That's mainly what we were still waiting here for, right?


The dream that Jasper told you about?

Dark Archive

Male Human INACTIVE

Desmond is mainly just waiting. Again he will walk about the village and speak with people, see if he can help with any chores or preparations, he will also ask for help learning the evening meal prayer song and any other songs they might know.


Female Human Expert 7 | HP 63/63 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 17 CMB 6 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +6 | Initiative +1 | Perception +11

Oh, whoops. Not sure how I thought that was for everyone, since it is clearly labeled Jasper.
I don't even remember it being in a spoiler... I must have been brain-dead. I apologize. Ignore the dream part.


Male Human Expert 7

Jasper wakes with a start the next morning, bolting awake and looking around frantically before calming down and going over his dream. With the details set in his mind, he seeks out Father McKinley and Dr. MacCray, hoping to talk to them about what he's experienced.


male Human Expert 7 Roll20 | perception +9
Diamondust wrote:

Cooil

Qualin is unsure how you do not understand. "The Spirits are not Gardeners. They are Spirits. The Gardeners are like us. They are physical. You met one on the night you arrived."

"Forgive my ignorance and confusion. But I talked to a fox, although we did not actually make sounds. I heard its voice in my head and sent my thoughts in a similar manner. Is that how spirits communicate? Can any of you take the form of an animal and communicate mind to mind? If these are questions only a Gardener can answer, could you introduce me to one if when he or she is in the area?"

Cooil will wait as long as he can, hoping for a chance to talk with a Gardener, should one be present. But as it gets close to 24 hours since he talked to the fox/spirit, he will set off to meet the fox again, unless anyone in the group wants to try to talk him out of it.

Dark Archive

Male Human INACTIVE
Jasper Rolla wrote:
Jasper wakes with a start the next morning, bolting awake and looking around frantically before calming down and going over his dream. With the details set in his mind, he seeks out Father McKinley and Dr. MacCray, hoping to talk to them about what he's experienced.

"All signs seem to be pointing us to the Citadel. I'm waiting to meet with the other elders, but I have the feeling that we'll have to journey to this Citadel to find the answers we're looking for, regardless. At least the old man in your dreams sounds less um... pressing. How do you feel about it? About what he's offering... the power to smite your enemies, is that right?"


Male Human Expert 7

As expected, Father McKinley offered Jasper sound council: even if if it was stating the obvious, it was reassuring to have it confirmed by someone else.

Father McKinley's question left Jasper quiet, and he placed his hand on his chin as he contemplated. Jasper had never killed anyone, though he'd put no small number of men in the hospital with his beatings. He supposed he could do it, if lives were on the line, but this power he was being offered...

I'm not sure. he finally answered. I've been in fights before, but that hardly makes me soldier material. I suppose I've been avoiding thinking about it. It's a rather extreme thing to think about, if I'm honest.

What about you? he asked. If some strange being offered you power, would you take it?

Dark Archive

Male Human INACTIVE

Desmond laughs heartily, "Well I guess that all depends on what's being offered and who's doing the offering. I'm not sure if I'm cut out for smiting, either. Boy, it sure sounds biblical, doesn't it."

He falls silent for a moment, pondering.

"It seems Janice has developed some powers, but hers weren't offered to her. Cooil has been offered something too, and my bet is he will take it. Gordon seems to think he's stumbled onto some power with that book he found. I'm not sure where that leaves me, but all this talk about prophecy leaves me wondering if we were actually brought here for a purpose."


Male Human Male Expert 7 | HP 70/70 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 18 CMB 7 | Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +5 | Initiative +5 | Perception +10

I gotta argue that we chose this place and were not brought here. We had choices. We almost chose another door. Gordon reminds the good father. In addition to the book I find that when I concentrate on a problem sometimes get a feeling of inspiration or deep concentration and can figure out things that were beyond me before. He adds to the general discussion.

Later he will interject We have answered some mysteries of this place only to uncover more questions. I think I will soon be ready to go to the city we keep hearing about.


male Human Expert 7 Roll20 | perception +9

"Jasper's question about offers of power reminds me of a story of a Taoist monk who wandered from place to place, helping people as he looked for long lost relatives. He helped a woman secure a large sum of money and when the monk refused her offer to stay and be with her, she asked him what he'd do if he came into a fortune. He replied, I'd continue to look for myself. She said, I didn't know you had to look for that! He replied, It is the only thing.

"Father, I'm not sure if you're one for proselytizing but you might try sharing your own religion and see if they could use some good news.
Perhaps there is a similar religion to Christianity here. It might be good to know what the locals believe about God or the gods, in any case."

To Gordon's comment on mysteries, Cooil adds, "I believe it was JBS Haldane who said, 'The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can image.'"

Dark Archive

Male Human INACTIVE
Gordon Alexander wrote:
I gotta argue that we chose this place and were not brought here. We had choices. We almost chose another door.

"Hmm. Right. And we could have gone through any door, really, we just happened to choose a direction to explore, and the urgency of our situation had us choosing the door which seemed the most promising. Should we mistake coincidence for fate?"

Cooil MacCray, PhD, DDiv wrote:

"Jasper's question about offers of power reminds me of a story of a Taoist monk who wandered from place to place, helping people as he looked for long lost relatives. He helped a woman secure a large sum of money and when the monk refused her offer to stay and be with her, she asked him what he'd do if he came into a fortune. He replied, I'd continue to look for myself. She said, I didn't know you had to look for that! He replied, It is the only thing.

"I like that. We all do with what we are given. Any sort of power or ability is only a tool, a means and not an ends itself."

Cooil MacCray, PhD, DDiv wrote:

"Father, I'm not sure if you're one for proselytizing but you might try sharing your own religion and see if they could use some good news.

Perhaps there is a similar religion to Christianity here. It might be good to know what the locals believe about God or the gods, in any case."

"I've tried to be sensitive to these people and their beliefs. Their beliefs though, happen to be rooted in more substantial evidence than what I can offer. Besides, I think I may have perturbed our poor guide Qualin with all my questioning yesterday. I don't mind spreading the good word, of course, but it should be handled with tact. We are as new and alien to them as they are to us. I certainly don't wish to disrupt and disturb this peaceful place. I can preach the gospel by living it, instead. However, the Angel they worship is indeed the mystery I find most intriguing."


Male Human Male Expert 7 | HP 70/70 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 18 CMB 7 | Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +5 | Initiative +5 | Perception +10

Gordon looks appraisingly at Father McKinley. Welll said father. Well said.


Janice

You spend most of your day practising what Qualin showed you last night and you are able to shape the magical energy to a different purpose. You can choose your 3rd cantrip.

Desmond

They don't mind you helping them. After a while you seem to have a group of children following you. They want you to play their game with them. The adults try to shoo them away to play elsewhere. Either the children or the adults can teach you the prayer and some songs.

Cooil

You are unable to find trace of a Gardener. All those who you ask say they haven't seen him since yesterday morning so you decide to go and see the fox. The walk seems longer than you remember but perhaps it is just the journey alone and making sure you are going the right way. You of course are and finally come to the large tree again. I knew you would return. The fox is not the only one here. It sits on the lap of one of the tree people and leaps up into a branch as he rises to greet you. You recognise him as the one who sounded the alarm on your arrival. "Hello. I am Gardener Thevil. They said one of you were sensitive. It is very exciting that you will share your knowledge with us and help us journey beyond the spirit door." The fox looks at him and he is silent for an uncomfortable amount of time as they stare at each other.

He is exited and rightly so. But first you must be sure of your decision to learn our magic. Not all Gardeners survive the spirit dream. You may turn back if you wish, but know that you shall never receive our aid again. If you wish to stay, lie down under the tree.

Gordon

If you spend most of your day studying the book you found you can decipher the formula and effect of another page of this magic alchemy. Choose a second formula known.


Female Human Expert 7 | HP 63/63 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 17 CMB 6 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +6 | Initiative +1 | Perception +11

Janice learns how to form a small ball of acid and throw it. She relaxes a little, feeling for the first time since leaving earth that she is somewhat less vulnerable. She is hungry to learn more, and continues to practice.


Male Human Male Expert 7 | HP 70/70 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 18 CMB 7 | Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +5 | Initiative +5 | Perception +10

Fascinating. Gordon studies his newly found book in his free time and announces This show proof of an alchemically based shield that would protect the user from harm.

Learned Shield. Can learn a total of 4 more extracts for first level.


Male Human Expert 7

Left alone by the group, Jasper continues to think about his strange experiences while in this strange new world. Hearing voices, having strange dreams, and of course, an odd lack of fear that he'd felt..

I've spoken a little with Father McKinley on this, he pondered to himself. But he knows just as little as everyone else here. If only there was someone else here who knew more about this...

Deciding to seek council, he looks for Qualin, hoping that he'll know of someone who can perhaps explain these strange sensations better than his comrades.


male Human Expert 7 Roll20 | perception +9
Gardener Thevil wrote:

"Hello. I am Gardener Thevil. They said one of you were sensitive. It is very exciting that you will share your knowledge with us and help us journey beyond the spirit door." The fox looks at him and he is silent for an uncomfortable amount of time as they stare at each other.

He is exited and rightly so. But first you must be sure of your decision to learn our magic. Not all Gardeners survive the spirit dream. You may turn back if you wish, but know that you shall never receive our aid again. If you wish to stay, lie down under the tree.

"Hello Gardener Thevil. I am Cooil MacCray. Thank you for helping me along this journey. I have met many on my world who had to undergo an initiation as the first step on the journey to being a shaman. It is an honor to get the opportunity to do it finally." Cooil looks around and takes a deep breath and slowly exhales. Then he sits and lays back, looking up at the branches of the tree and waits for instructions.


Jasper

You are able to find Qualin after some searching and asking around. He is talking to an elderly person. When he sees you he smiles and says goodbye to his friend before joining you. After listening to your story he is thoughtful. "Dreams can tell us many things. Are you sure this dream is important? It doesn't sound like the spirit dream from what I have heard from the Gardeners. And the Angel speaks in dreams and visions only to the chosen Oracle. Perhaps your mind is reacting to the things I have told you, the man living alone, communing with the Angel's will. Your dream sounds just like the history I explained to you all yesterday. Do not worry about this dream Jasper. It is nothing special. He seems to think his stories have made their way into your subconscious, making you dream of them to try and make sense of them. Could he be right? Are they 'just' dreams? If you ask him about the hermit's words he replies as if it should be obvious(to him of course it is), "The Citadels' light? Well you can see it at night in the sky to the north. If one wants to go there you just follow it and can never get lost. Losing it makes no sense. I'm sorry I do not wish to upset you Jasper but I don't see anything extraordinary about this."

Cooil

Thevil smiles as you lay down, "I will watch over your body here. Don't worry, there are no threats here within our trees." He sits down a few feet away and pulls something out of his pocket. It looks like clay. Before you can see what he is doing with it the fox hops onto your chest and curls up, looking into your eyes. It yawns and rests its head on your chest. Suddenly you feel very tired yourself and you can't keep your eyes open.

A few moments later...

You are standing now in a very similar place to the garden but it seems greener and brighter. The trees are taller and denser so that you are unable to see a sky. Here is our home and where our magic is strongest. You won't find the angel or its influence here. The fox is with you but Thevil is nowhere to be seen. You feel very strange and also energised. Like you want to run and jump and fly and never stop. These Shaman of your home, they refused to initiate you. Why? Its referring to your comments to Thevil and when you hear 'shaman' in your mind it seems an unfamiliar word to it.


Male Human Expert 7

Realizing that he's not going to get anything substantial out of Qualin, he lets out a sigh of disappointment and thanks Qualin for his time before returning to the house in which the group has been staying. As his eyes flit over their collective gear, his eyes settle on the spear Father McKinley entrusted him with, and out of boredom he began to examine it, taking in the details of its construction and trying to see if he recognizes its shape as belonging to a culture back on Earth.

Knowledge: History: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

Looking over the spear gives him an idea, and runs out of the house and begins asking the tree people if there is a blacksmith among them, taking the spear with him.


Jasper

The spear is made from a dark coloured wood and has a criss-crossed design notched into it and a bronze tip fitted to the tip. If it came from earth it would be quite primitive, fitting into the bronze age technology era. The markings appear to be decorative rather than have some intended meaning. As you ask the people about blacksmithing you get varied responses. Some tell you that is the craft of the Forsaken and no one practises that here, some say that perhaps the mountain people would know the craft or even the Citadel. Unfortunately these people's lifestyle is one of close harmony to nature and they seem to view mining and smithing as dangerous. Qualin mentioned yesterday that the Forsaken were the best miners and metalworkers of all the peoples. Perhaps that is why they avoid it. There is one woodcrafter that you do talk to. "I do not make weapons but there are those of other tribes, especially of the sea people that I have heard that covet wood such as this. It is a very light but strong material. Very rare. They do not grow in our gardens unfortunately. I must ask, where did find this spear? It is obvious that it is not yours. I mean no offense."


Male Human Expert 7

No offense taken. he says with a placating smile. There were two of these spears behind what Qualin calls the "spirit door", along with a skeleton that we believe to be the spear's original owner.

Tell me, what do you know about the weapons used by the Forsaken? I notice your people have no use for them, considering the mirage you created to hide your village, but what about the others in this world: the Sea People, the Mountain People, and others of their ilk?

Jasper makes sure to take notes on this: although he had originally found keeping his allies safe the most pressing matter at hand, he's been allowed to settle down a bit more, and has found his curiosity peaked by this world's people and their craft.


Jasper

The woodworker puts a bit more space between himself and the spear when he hears where it came from. "We need only what we can gather from the Garden. There is no need to hunt and there have been no wars for generations." He doesn't know anything much about the Forsaken except for the stories that have been repeated down the ages. "Our Sea People brethren live in less peaceful locations. Sometimes there is strife between the clans and their islands. This wood is not affected as much by the sea, one of the reasons they covet it. The mountain people prefer to work with stone. Their stone cities are said to be magnificent."

"That spear is much too large if you think one of us would make it. It is made for someone of your size. Perhaps among your own people, there are those not Chosen. Might they have tried to go through the Spirit Door and have been killed as punishment?"


male Human Expert 7 Roll20 | perception +9
Diamondust wrote:

Cooil

Thevil smiles as you lay down, "I will watch over your body here. Don't worry, there are no threats here within our trees." He sits down a few feet away and pulls something out of his pocket. It looks like clay. Before you can see what he is doing with it the fox hops onto your chest and curls up, looking into your eyes. It yawns and rests its head on your chest. Suddenly you feel very tired yourself and you can't keep your eyes open.

A few moments later...

You are standing now in a very similar place to the garden but it seems greener and brighter. The trees are taller and denser so that you are unable to see a sky. Here is our home and where our magic is strongest. You won't find the angel or its influence here.

The fox is with you but Thevil is nowhere to be seen. You feel very strange and also energized. Like you want to run and jump and fly and never stop. These Shaman of your home, they refused to initiate you. Why?

Cooil stands within this altered reality and begins to explore a little, reaching out and touching a tree to feel the bark, listening for sounds of birds or insects, breathing in to see what scents were noted. As he does this, he answers the fox's question. In my world, people don't normally speak with spirits, and those that do seem to be born with the ability. But there are some people who live in isolated places in small tribes. Each tribe has a religious leader called a shaman. A shaman typically goes into a trance, communicates with spirits, and then returns to share what he or she learned with the community. He typically trains someone to inherit the role, but it usually is someone from the tribe picked when he is young and the training can take years. I visited these places and learned to speak the native language and learned as much as I could about the shaman, but I was not a member of their community and so none had any interest in training me.

He stands next to a tree with some low branches and thinks how long it has been since he climbed a tree. He makes an attempt to climb up a ways, trusting the fox could continue the conversation as he did so.

Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 5

It is not as easy as he remembered it being as a kid.


Male Human Expert 7
Diamondust wrote:

Jasper

The woodworker puts a bit more space between himself and the spear when he hears where it came from. "We need only what we can gather from the Garden. There is no need to hunt and there have been no wars for generations." He doesn't know anything much about the Forsaken except for the stories that have been repeated down the ages. "Our Sea People brethren live in less peaceful locations. Sometimes there is strife between the clans and their islands. This wood is not affected as much by the sea, one of the reasons they covet it. The mountain people prefer to work with stone. Their stone cities are said to be magnificent."

"That spear is much too large if you think one of us would make it. It is made for someone of your size. Perhaps among your own people, there are those not Chosen. Might they have tried to go through the Spirit Door and have been killed as punishment?"

Jasper barely notices the woodworker's trepidation, instead simply writing down what he hears. Though it's not much, information on this world's people may come in handy.

At the woodworker's last suggestion, he pauses on his writing and looks up at him, before putting his hand on his chin and looking away in thought.

Perhaps? he answers hesitantly. If Dr Zeroux is right, the skeleton didn't belong to a human- he looks at the woodworker and gestures at his chest. -That's what our kind is called, human, but I can't deny the possibility that other humans found the "Spirit Door". You must understand, sir, that magic is something that many from our world aren't even sure exists. I've certainly never seen anyone who can hide a village behind a mirage, make a rock glow like a torch, or make a party of five people instantly understand a language.


Female Human Expert 7 | HP 63/63 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 17 CMB 6 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +6 | Initiative +1 | Perception +11

After practicing for most of the day, Janice comes back to the village to see if the rest of the group has learned anything additional about their surroundings. If not, she continues to practice until bedtime... just in sight of the village in case any of her group come by looking.


Cooil

As you touch the tree bark, your fingers react to it, taking on some of its properties, the skin on your fingers and hand become like the bark itself until you stop touching the tree and your skin returns to normal. All your senses here are much more sensitive and it is confusing to have to try and sort through it all. You hear many bird and animal calls, even the insects. You can smell the dirt and the grass and the flowers far stronger than ever before. Climbing the tree seems far easier than you thought, the branches seem to always be exactly where your hand reaches out to(no climb check needed).

You must be careful here in the Spirit Dream. It is the shared dream of all spirits on this world. You can never come here without a guide, for where there is no spirit, there is no dream for you to walk. So stay close. The fox tells you to follow him and for a time you run alongside him, not getting tired at all, as he shows you several properties of the Spirit Dream(ALMOST any spell is possible just by thinking, effects changing part of the dream are never permanent, effects do not continue after you wake up). It is here you will search for a spirit animal to accompany you and teach you how to use spirit magic. I cannot accompany you, you must choose a lesser spirit. Be aware that you should never seek to know all there is to know, such leads to madness. We must limit the knowledge we grant to mortal minds. Choose one path to follow and call out with your mind. If a spirit is willing to show you the path it will come to you.

Jasper

"A world without magic I cannot begin to imagine. Perhaps the elders can make more sense of this. I see one arriving from another village now." He excuses himself to go meet the elder.

Everyone minus Cooil

You notice some new arrivals as the day goes on. Sometimes a group of 5 or more sometimes only 1 besides the messenger sent to them. They refuse to talk to you right now, the only message Qualin is able to give you is that they will summon you when all have arrived. A few more still are to come. "They are conferring and resting. Discussing amongst themselves how best to proceed with our People's interests at heart. Please have patience."

Dark Archive

Male Human INACTIVE

Desmond joins the village children in their game, and learns a few songs and prayers from them. He finds he is confused by the language spell they are under. What he hears from the villagers is English, and what he speaks is English, and he assumes what they hear from him is in their language. After the talk with Gordon, he wonders how much of their magic power is built into their language, and becomes a little bit frustrated that he won't be able to properly learn to speak their language while under the spell.

"Please know that we have your people's best interest at heart as well," he responds to Qualin, "We'll be nearby when you're ready for us."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
male Human Expert 7 Roll20 | perception +9

Cooil begins to feel intoxicated at the sensations. He never did LSD but his experience in the spirit world seems very much like he imagined an acid trip would be like. He forces himself to withdraw a portion of his attention and curiosity and practices mindfulness of the present moment.

Every so often, as he runs by his fox guide, he leaps and concentrates on going forward without falling. He glides through the air with his feet off the ground. He returns to running and finds the feel of gravity almost as miraculous as to be free of it. So much to learn.

When the fox warns him not to try to know everything, he chuckles, being reminded of a comedy skit where someone was said to know everything (not anyone who was a spiritual master, just some TV personality science expert). Another comedian responded, "I wouldn't like that! It would take the mystery out of life."

When the fox stops and tells him this and then instructs him to seek the path that will lead him to his animal guide, he settles on the ground in the lotus position and spends some time calming his mind, waiting for it to exhaust itself with the chatter the sages call the 'monkey mind.'

Once settled, he thinks about the path that brought him to this position: his studies, research, travels, books that he read and books that he wrote, friends, family, all seem to turn into a kind of river that starts as a creek and gradually grows. Suddenly, the river he sees in his minds eye plunges into a sinkhole and he finds himself confused for a moment, but then is brought back to the moment by the sounds and smells of the spirit dimension, or whatever this place is.

He smells fresh water and begins to hear the sound of flowing water. He stands and looks around, seeing a river flowing by where before had been none. He walks toward the river and then along the bank, letting his mind take in the sights.

He sees various animals. A cat rubs against his shins. He likes cats but they seem too interested in comfort and being masters of a relatively small area. A dog trots along beside him for a time, but he does not like the energy of something that is so devoted and subservient. A guide should be willing to lead, not always looking to follow. He sees a few birds: a hawk, a raven, an owl. All seem to have something to offer but still it does not feel right.

Then he hears what sounds like a cross between a bird call and a dog yip. He follows the sound and comes to a pool in a quiet backwater of the river. He locates the source of the sound. It is a river otter playing in the water. It runs up to a rock down which flows a kind of waterfall that empties out into the river. It yips in what Cooil understands to be pure joy and throws itself onto the water path and slips and slides down into the pool where it splashes in the bright sun.

Cooil looks down and realizes he has no clothes on and without much thought he wades into the water. The otter swims around him and seems to encourage him to join in the fun. He does so, enjoying the feel of the cool water and the joy of the moment.

Mindful that he must not forget the purpose of the moment, he retreats and sits on a rock, enjoying the feel of the warm sun dry his skin. The otter follows and curls up on his lap, licking its fur and eventually seeming to fall asleep. Cooil contemplates this feeling and concludes it is decided.

"Will you guide me in this strange land I have fallen into friend otter?"


Male Human Expert 7
Diamondust wrote:

Jasper

"A world without magic I cannot begin to imagine. Perhaps the elders can make more sense of this. I see one arriving from another village now." He excuses himself to go meet the elder.

Everyone minus Cooil

You notice some new arrivals as the day goes on. Sometimes a group of 5 or more sometimes only 1 besides the messenger sent to them. They refuse to talk to you...

Realizing that his interview has come to a close, Jasper also leaves the woodworker's home and, seeing his friends speaking with Qualin, jogs over to meet them.

Evening everyone! he says cheerfully. Did I miss something?


Male Human Male Expert 7 | HP 70/70 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 18 CMB 7 | Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +5 | Initiative +5 | Perception +10

You did. Janice and I did go back into the portal realm. Qualin could not enter and and I think that applies to all his people. We tried to explore to the West and had planned to go a full hour that way. But about half-way there Is this right? Please correct me if wrong. We were 'attacked' by something. Or maybe it was just we wandered too far from our anchoring point in that seemingly infinite place. Whatever it was it attacked our minds and we had to retreat. It seemed to effect Janice more than me, but that was likely just luck. I hope she has fully recovered? Janice, how are you feeling?


Female Human Expert 7 | HP 63/63 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 17 CMB 6 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +6 | Initiative +1 | Perception +11

Much better. There seem to be no lingering effects, but it felt like something didn't want us to continue. I am not sure why.

Dark Archive

Male Human INACTIVE

Desmond listens again to Drs. Alexander and Zeroux's (A<->Z) account of their latest foray into the Nexus. He points out, "I don't mean to undermine what you experienced in there, but it does sound like you're personifying what could just be a phenomenon of the 'physics' of the Nexus. As Gordon said, anchoring points and such. 'Attack' denotes that the Nexus has a consciousness and will of it's own. I guess either is believable and, well, an acceptable theory, at this point. I'm just saying, we need to watch the language we use. From what I know of the occult, magick is language, and vice versa. Language has the power to color our perceptions, and thus our reality. If I understand correctly, the spell of that talisman we are under gives us the ability to speak and understand the language of these people, and we have all witnessed the transformative magic of this place. If we speak of the Nexus as if it had consciousness, we may very well be giving it consciousness."

He turns to Jasper and adds, "Qualin just informed us that the elders of the other villages have started to arrive. We are to wait until they are ready for us."


Female Human Expert 7 | HP 63/63 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 17 CMB 6 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +6 | Initiative +1 | Perception +11

Janice rolls her eyes at Desmond. Whatever Desmond. You weren't there. Don't lecture me. You're just guessing like the rest of us, and if you want to test one of your pet theories, that's fine, but don't expect me to restrict what I say based on your beliefs. And if the highly doubtful happens and I do somehow grant the nexus consciousness because I ascribed human emotion to it, then I say great. Bring it on. Then maybe I can communicate with it and tell it to take me HOME.


Male Human Male Expert 7 | HP 70/70 | AC 11 T 11 FF 10 | CMD 18 CMB 7 | Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +5 | Initiative +5 | Perception +10

Gordon stifles a chuckle and manages to add Well father, I think my description did allow for it to be an active or passive attack. If your own heart fails you its called a heart attack, no? He takes a seat and tries to be patient. Waiting was never a strong suit for him.

Dark Archive

Male Human INACTIVE

"Hmm. Points taken, Doctors."

Desmond turns slightly away from the group now, standing with arms crossed over his chest, his head low, brow furrowed. It's clear he's mulling something over.

Why am I so quick to doubt one miraculous claim just when I'm now willing to accept another? Am I like Thomas doubting the Resurrection? Even amongst rationally minded scientists, I am the first to cast doubt onto the magic of this place. Perhaps I am resisting it. Perhaps that is why I have yet to experience the kind of awakening of power the others have.


Cooil

Many spirits came to your summons. You could sense their eagerness to be the one you chose considering that this situation is so rare, indeed it has never happened before. The fox does not stay and you definitely feel that it is one of the more powerful spirits compared to any others that come to you. They likely abide by some sort of heirarchy based on their strength. Each one shows you a part of their strength and why they have chosen that animal form, after all a spirit can change their form in the Spirit Dream whever they want.

The river otter doesn't seem to care that it is a lesser spirit, an emotion felt by you as it looks at you and considers your question. You sense that it does not worry about what the other spirits might be up to. If you want to use the dream magic when you are awake I can show you. And you can show me the wonders of your world. The others wants to know the secrets of how you unlocked the magic of the door that no magic we have ever tried could defeat. They are scared of your world too. You have chosen me? It is time to awake. Whatever the Fox did to bring you into the Spirit Dream, the river otter is able to send you out. You wake to find the Gardener Thevil still watching you faithfully but no sign of the Fox. "You are back! The Spirit Dream did not kill you. I will leave you now. I have much to do. I hope we shall meet again." Thevil scurries off, nodding respectfully to the otter as he leaves.

The otter happens to be able to know all about the shaman spirit path you want to go down. Life, Ancestors or whatever it was. You can spend some time today and learn how to tap into the Spirit Dream's magic. You will get 1 cantrip slot.

351 to 400 of 514 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Disjunction All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.