Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Dark Heresy: The Oremor Affliction IC

Game Master Rookseye

On the agri-world of Oremor, at the very fringes of the Malfian sub-sector, acolytes of the Inquisition and their allies must confront a sinister conspiracy that threatens to shake the very foundations of the Calixis sector.


4,501 to 4,550 of 4,884 << first < prev | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | next > last >>

Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177

Vincent grips the rifle tightly, crouching behind the shattered remnants of a massive grain harvester. Ryuk and Launce are just behind him, hiding in the slanted shadows of its great rusting combine blades, with the throaty groans of the walking dead dangerously close, loud enough to be audible as they take temporary sanctuary during their descent down the gentle slope to the culvert.

The area near the service road is crawling with them, they seem to have made the correct choice in making for the drainage conduit.

Looking down the sighting optics of the weapon while batting away one of the ubiquitous flies that swarm around his masked face, Vincent scans the immediate area around the culvert for signs of activity.

Vincent, please make an Awareness test, give yourself a +10 circumstance bonus for using the telescopic sight on the rifle. Ryuk can make the test as well if he wishes, absent the bonus.


Savalos Thul wrote:

Jeremiah outplayed me. Props to a good hand. The coin should have gone to him. Glancing over toward Trizo's psyker, I am sure we were all just played. I have seen card swaps and minor illusions played by back-alley witches before. The Changeling confirming my suspicions with an uneasy glance as the scar on my face itches.

Time to use kindness and compliments to bring her to the fore, and a head's up for my allies. At least those looking to play a square game.

"Congratulations. Its always fortunate to have Lady Luck at ones side. Does yours have a name?"

I gesture to the Lady behind Trizo.

I give a very warm smile. Like one who is a player or playboy. Let's see how she likes the spotlight. Throwing her or Trizo off their game could be the difference maker tonight. It's clear that whatever conversation Leprade and Trizo were going to have isn't going to happen here tonight.

Savalos, please make both a Charm and a Deceive skill test to see how well you pull off the part of a moral wastrel Hive-Spire playboy.

Swinthosa Wardja wrote:
Seeing the Rogue Trader's disappointment, I make eye contact, purse my lips, and tilt my head as if to say, "Too bad. Nice try."

Blitz does not seem in the mood. He merely glowers down at his cards, as if he cannot wrap his mind around how he just lost the last hand. His hands are clenched fists atop the table.

Swinthosa Wardja wrote:

Picking up on Thul's gambit, I try to distance myself from Thul to play up our separate roles.

Looking across the table at Leprade, when he looks my way I gesture towards 'Lord Dawnstar' and roll my eyes.

Hoping to discern what the Intelligencer knows or thinks about us.

Wardja, please attempt a Deceive test separate from Savalos to continue to play the part, the result could be influenced by Savalos' success/failure.


Male Human Outlaw

Charm Test (1d100=35)

Deceive Test (1d100=26)


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177

Awareness = 44 + 10 = 54

Roll : 1d100=15

We took a pair of magnoculars from the inquisition armory, so Ryuk or Launce can use those.


Arbite Investigator
Ahmazzi wrote:
Wardja, please attempt a Deceive test separate from Savalos to continue to play the part, the result could be influenced by Savalos' success/failure.

Deceive, untrained, Fellowship 35, roll: 1d100 ⇒ 68


Male Human Outlaw

I wonder how the rest of the team is doing. Hopefully Dunkan and his men can get to them before another meets an untimely demise.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Savalos, both the Charm and Deceive tests are successful, they are opposed tests with Trizo, however.

Savalos Thul wrote:

"Congratulations. Its always fortunate to have Lady Luck at ones side. Does yours have a name?"

I gesture to the Lady behind Trizo.

I give a very warm smile. Like one who is a player or playboy. Let's see how she likes the spotlight. Throwing her or Trizo off their game could be the difference maker tonight. It's clear that whatever conversation Leprade and Trizo were going to have isn't going to happen here tonight.

The gang-boss blinks slowly at the question posed by the seemingly foppish Upspire dandy, the faded rings of the serpent-eye tattoos on his eyelids lowering, dangerously languid, like the nictitating membrane of an angry saurian.

His tight grin leaves little doubt that he has begun to play the game within the game.

"Were I a fool that believed in luck, she might bear that name. Better though, for you to think of her as Marcheza Providence, or Lady Fate, that is a more fitting sobriquet for one such as she. I've found that those who depend on chance and luck sooner or later find out how quickly it runs out."

He paws the large pile of chips to his side of the table avariciously in the sweep of his golden arm, the threatening subtext of his last statement hanging between he and Thul with palpable menace.

Like a deaf-mute sensing a stranger's presence by a gentle draft, the witch in the midnight blue robes twitches her cowled head in tic-like fashion in Savalos' direction, hearing an unspoken voice, the disturbingly avian tilt to her concealed features even more disconcerting than Trizo's words.

Wardja, Deceive test is unsuccessful.

Leprade's eyes lock on Wardja following the exchange between Thul and Trizo as if considering something for the first time, and carefully weighing its import. When Odo Wimarc rolls his eyes, he casts his gaze down at the table, before scanning the gallery of spectators and casino staff. There is something about his mien that suggests he is as apprehensive about Trizo uttering overmuch as Wardja is about Thul's verbal jousting.

He summons one of his Arbites bodyguard over and whispers something into his ear.


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177

Awareness test successful by three degrees, Vincent.

Vincent removes his eyes from the scope just as Launce lowers the magnoculars. The grim set of the tech-priest's tightly-clenched jaw tells the senior clerk of Ylesium claustrum that his companion saw it as well.

Midway along the length of the culvert, at the extent of their augmented vision, is the aftermath of some manner of confrontation, a bottleneck of mangled bodies and a toppled, make-shift rampart similar to what blocked the entrance to the husbandry barn. Nothing stirs in the carnage.

From somewhere far off come the unmistakable sounds of high altitude military aircraft, the faint noise of their engines reverberating through the plantation field like a thunderhead rolling by.


Arbite Investigator
Ahmazzi wrote:

The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

He summons one of his Arbites bodyguard over and whispers something into his ear.

I turn away from the table and away from Thul. Taking a sip from my glass I wipe my mouth and face while whispering into the bead, "Gereos, vox-bug, maximum gain."


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

There is a brief crackle of static in Wardja's ear followed by Gereos' emotionless voice, which is oddly calming given the present circumstances.

<<<"Reception from the device has become unreliable due to an unidentified interference emanating from your vicinity, but I have passed all audio since the Tournament began through our vocalization data-skeins as a preemptive contingency...most recent vocalization-transcript pending additional context-cues has been deciphered as follows: 'Conduct a sweep.' Nothing further to report at this time.">>>


Arbite Investigator

Putting down the napkin I beckon one of my bodyguards to bend towards me. I put my hand over my mouth as if to speak in his ear.

Over the bead, quietly, "Support team, heads up. Snoopers on the prowl. Track Leprade's thugs."


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

The response over the 'bead is swift, Astrid quietly whispering behind her hand just ten paces to the rear of Wardja, at the very edge of the viewing gallery.

<<<"Copy that.">>>

Einhardt begins to maneuver to the outer edge of the Pinnacle's curving perimeter, making subtle hand signals that were agreed upon beforehand to better position the remainder of the support team in the event all hell breaks loose.

Meanwhile, the dealer finishes collecting the placards, shuffling them with the adroit agility of a mummer's parlor trick. He begins to deal, the fourth round, no longer leaving cards in front of dol Geim's place at the table. The glowering agri-magnate sits heavily back in his oversized chair, sulking under his flabby, nettled brow. He can remain at the table, put protocol dictates that he may no longer speak aloud.

Gambling tests for round four, please.


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177

The trio move quickly, trying to keep low to the ground as they leave the protective concealment an of an overturned cargo-10, the bass thrum of the aircraft passing overhead diminishing noticeably as they run.

By some miracle, they reach the far edge of the culvert unseen, pausing before the rusting maintenance ladder that descends the three meters or so to the stagnant, murky, ankle-deep water that fills the ten-meter-long jog of the rockcrete girded drainage ditch that is visible from their present position. At the end of this extent, the culvert has the first of several zig-zags along its length as it extends like grayish ribbon to the expansive fields spreading out at the base of Husbandry Barn Cluster 177's knobby hillside.

Are you taking any actions before descending into the culvert?


Arbite Investigator
Ahmazzi wrote:

The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Gambling tests for round four, please.

Having communicated with the team I relax and sit back in my seat, returning my attention to the tourney. Corrupt arbites, chaos intrigue, a daemon at the table, a planet threatened... on top of everything else it would be nice to get one decent fecking draw this game.

Gambling Roll (45): 1d100 ⇒ 60, failure.

*sigh*

Would love to throw and break something but instead I look up lazily and wait for betting to commence.


Male Human Outlaw

Gambling Roll (1d100=68)

Can't win them all. Will sit this round out. Save my luck for later.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Heretic's Wake Tournament Round #4:

First Player: Intelligencer Leprade

Current Stakes: 8

Gambling Skill Results:

  • Intelligencer Leprade:
  • Keramiah Tor:
  • Jeremiah Blitz:
  • Wardja: 60, one degree of failure.
  • Savalos: 68, two degrees of failure.
  • Lady Cinzia:
  • Johnnie/The Changeling:
  • Trizo dol Soulard:

Remaining Chips:

  • Lady Cinzia: 51
  • Johnnie/The Changeling: 169
  • Trizo dol Soulard: 267
  • Intelligencer Leprade: 31
  • Keramiah Tor: 16
  • Jeremiah Blitz: 7
  • Jashar Dol Geim: Eliminated
  • Wardja: 91
  • Savalos: 260

Bidding begins with Intelligencer Leprade.

With the ante in place and cards in hand, the eight remaining players eye one another across the midnight-blue felt of the table, knowing that following the conclusion of the coming round, their numbers will likely be diminished still further.

Now First Player, Intelligencer Poul Leprade calmly examines his cards without any discernible emotion, and flatly states, "Call."

Keramiah Tor does not so much as look up when the bid is passed to him, simply rapping his spidery-thin fingers atop the table in the customary signal to call.

The dealer turns his attention to Blitz, who now looks angry. The rogue trader surveys his competitors at the table with a grim intensity very different from his earlier jocularity. He knows he is making his last stand, and has dispensed with his false bonhomie

"Call."

Wardja looks over at dol Geim, noting how the agri-baron sulks, sitting slightly back from the table now, petulantly declining the morsels offered by his smile girls. He gives the arbitrator a scathing glare, before returning his stare to a hated place in the middle distance.

Bidding goes to Wardja, then Sav.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

In the mezzanine, Tikeen looks over at Uriah.

"My master is angry, this does not bode well for anyone."


Somewhere Dark

The cage-like half dome grinds to a sputtering, hissing halt, and Private Kotts looks down to his wrist for a chrono that is no longer there. He groans, and Kaltos can see him estimating the time that has passed since they were imprisoned.

"I've got a bad feeling we're about to be the half-time show."


Male Human Outlaw

While I would usually ride the odds and throw in for a new hand. My gut is telling me to sit out this one.

"Fold"


"Yes, that would be appropriate timing. It is best not to let your emotions get the better of you. We have some time as of yet, rest you will need your energy." With that I sit down and draw in as much energy as possible for the use ahead.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)
Ahmazzi wrote:

The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

In the mezzanine, Tikeen looks over at Uriah.

"My master is angry, this does not bode well for anyone."

said softly"I am more worried about the Daemonhost, the ganger and his witch."


Arbite Investigator

With the pot as low as it is, it's worth taking a shot with a new hand.

"I'm in."


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Wardja calls and remains in the game, but when Savalos elects to fold out of the gate, it prompts a derisive glare from Trizo. The Yellobouros gang-boss flicks his cards across their tops, clearly irritated, his golden hand drumming upon the table again.

Lady Cinzia considers her position a moment, momentarily wrong-footed by the Dawnstar heir's surprise decision to drop from the round, but eventually calls as well, remaining in the game.

As the dealer turns his attention to the Changeling, the daemon-host surprisingly doesn't seize the opportunity to chide Savalos, instead sitting back in the large chair with the self-satisfied smirk of a content felid.

"Fold."

If Trizo's gaze was disdainful for Savalos, it is surprised and scathing for the daemon. When the dealer turns to him, though, he chuckles, a hint of madness in his laugh.

"I win one round, and this table turns into a nest of cravens, eh? So be it, I call."

The dealer nods obediently, and the Draw begins.

Leprade elects for a Conservative Draw, passing forward three of his placards, and accepting three more.

Tor, whose play style to this point could be categorized as one of diffident disinterest, does the same, accepting two more cards with nary a word.

Reaching Blitz, the resolute rogue trader elects for a single card, his body language betraying nothing to the others.

The dealer turns to Wardja, holding the cards aloft in his hand.

Wardja, assuming an Aggressive Draw, please roll your new Gambling skill test for the remainder of the round.


Arbite Investigator

I toss my entire hand for a re-draw.

Gambling (45), Roll 1d100 ⇒ 41, one success

Before and after looking at my cards, I slowly survey the other players. Looking for any sort of tell.

Attempting an Awareness Test (50), Roll: 1d100 ⇒ 50, one success

My hand looks OK. Probably just good enough to get me into trouble. I order another drink from Astrid.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Gambling test results in one degree of success. Awareness test (opposed by the other player's Deceive tests) is partially successful, results appearing below in the narrative description.

Although he has worked his fair share of covert or undercover ops, both as an arbitrator during his duties on Baraspine, and later as an agent of the Inquisition, Wardja finds himself hard-pressed to maintain his charade as Comptroller Wimarc in the face of Leprade's cold, appraising gaze. He is nearly certain his corrupted counterpart suspects something.

With Savalos out, Lady Cinzia commits fully to the round, throwing in all of her cards and taking a fresh hand. The normally impassive dealer seems relieved to be able to skip the disturbing attentions of the Changeling, and finally comes to Trizo. The leader of the Yellobouros elects to mimic the Dowager's decision, replacing all but one of his own placards.

Finally examining his hand as he receives a fresh beverage from Astrid, Wardja looks at his first serviceable deal of the tournament. Nothing extraordinary, but playable. He passes his eyes over the others as they look over their own cards.

Leprade remains as inscrutable as a sphinx, and Wardja cannot help but wonder if perhaps he has underestimated the Intelligencer, both inside and outside the tournament.

The complete lack of guile from Keramiah Tor is nearly as confusing; the man is almost apathetic, as if he is merely going through through the motions of the tournament, playing another game entirely. Somehow, something tells Wardja this round he is merely a spectator, although why he would waste his scant remaining chips so frivolously poses a host of other questions.

It is clear the rogue trader, Blitz, is angry at his reversal. Still, he remains in the round just the same, almost eagerly awaiting the bid that will commit his final chips. Whether this is from a desire to finish his participation in the tournament, or a deliberate bluff intending to recoup some markers is unclear.

Lady Cinzia and Trizo, consummate professional gamblers that they are, betray nothing of what their aggressive exchanges of cards left them holding.

With the bid to Leprade, the Intelligencer feigns considering a wager, and then pointedly looks to Blitz.

"Raise of seven."

Without any hesitation, or care, it seems, Tor pushes forward seven chips to call.

Blitz returns Leprade's withering gaze, and pushes in his last chips.

"Call."

His voice is flat, without emotion, yet there is still an undercurrent of something---anger, and perhaps a suggestion of retribution.

The dealer turns to Wardja.

Savalos, please give me an Awareness test as well if you wish to assess the other players as well.

Heretic's Wake Tournament Round #4:

First Player: Intelligencer Leprade

Current Stakes: 29

Gambling Skill Results:

  • Intelligencer Leprade: Conservative Draw, unknown strength of hand.
  • Keramiah Tor: Conservative Draw, likely poor hand.
  • Jeremiah Blitz: Eliminated.
  • Wardja: 60, one degree of failure, Aggressive Draw, 41, one degree of success.
  • Savalos: 68, two degrees of failure, folded.
  • Lady Cinzia: Aggressive Draw, unknown strength of hand.
  • Johnnie/The Changeling: Folded.
  • Trizo dol Soulard: Aggressive Draw, unknown strength of hand.

Remaining Chips:

  • Lady Cinzia: 51
  • Johnnie/The Changeling: 169
  • Trizo dol Soulard: 267
  • Intelligencer Leprade: 24
  • Keramiah Tor: 9
  • Jeremiah Blitz: 0
  • Jashar Dol Geim: Eliminated
  • Wardja: 91
  • Savalos: 260

Bidding to Wardja.


All:
Sorry, but there is a typo in the Heretic's Wake Round #4 spoiler box above; Jeremiah Blitz should read, "Conservative Draw, unknown strength of hand." I deleted Jashar dol Geim from my template and it looks like Blitz inadvertently got his status. Sorry for the confusion.


Male Human Outlaw

Awareness Test (1d100=31)

Sitting the round out gives me the advantage to study everyone freely. Best to use this time wisely.


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177

Sorry for the delay, thought that I was up to date on my posting

Vincent cocks his head slightly and motions the others to keep moving.

'We do not want to be here when those flyers get arrive.'


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Savalos, Awareness test (opposed by the other player's Deceive tests) is partially successful, results appear below in the narrative description.

Savalos realizes almost immediately he has made the correct decision in sitting out of the present hand; without the distraction of his own cards, it is far easier to survey the competition.

Looking across at the smug leer of the Changeling, it is as if the daemonhost is reading his mind, mirroring the acolytes own self-satisfaction like a twisted reflection.

Disturbed by what he sees, Savalos looks across the table and to the left toward Trizo dol'Soulard, who has largely reigned in his earlier irritation. The gang-boss now sits, almost calmly, taking the measure of the others. Jaw firmly set, eyes straight ahead, he gives away nothing---there is no doubt with his lead he will be one of the last standing in the end-game.

Leprade is an implacable blank as well. After the momentary indulgence of subtly taunting Jeremiah Blitz, he has not so much as blinked. It is clear he is invested in this hand.

Tor has nothing, practically tipping his hand. The parchment-skinned old man is of such emotionless mien that he sometimes seems more a wax mannequin then a living, breathing human being. For some inexplicable reason, almost certainly not the tournament or its material rewards, he persists in playing.

Blitz. Completely unreadable. No more the witty scoundrel, he now plays for keeps. If there is any reason Savalos is grateful he folded, it is the razor-sharp focus on the game that the rogue trader now displays on his grimly set features. There is something almost frightening about his renewed intensity.

Glancing to his immediate right, Savalos watches the Dowager-Marcheza rearranging her cards thoughtfully, darkly-painted lips tightly pursed. He guesses that her hand might be a good one, but as to why his intuition has made this deduction, he cannot say, so inscrutable is the veil of her game-face.


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177, Drainage Culvert 4M

Descending the rusting ladder one after another, Vincent, Ryuk, and Launce land lightly on their feet in the murky, stagnant, and altogether foul-smelling water. The once clean irrigation conduit is polluted with all manner of filth and the redolent smell is noticeable even through the restrictive filters on their masks. Thready trails of blood, gobbets of flesh, even severed limbs are visible in the morass of floating detritus. Torn uniforms and abandoned equipment, both martial and agricultural, bob up and down in the rank fluid, suspended like flotsam and jetsam in some vile stream. The water has a viscid sheen on the surface, nearly black in places, as if machine fluids have contaminated the culvert as well.

Moving slowly, in single file, the trio skirt along the first 'jog' of the irrigation conduit, keeping close to one wall to minimize their profile to whatever might be roaming the fields above. Reaching the end of this trench-like segment, they pause where it cuts back again, inching closer to the blind-spot around the slight corner prior to the next run.

Awareness tests please, Vincent, Ryuk.


Ellipsis:
No worries, Ellipsis, unfortunately my posting has been somewhat erratic of late, so the fault is mainly mine.


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177, Drainage Culvert 4M

Awareness = 44

Roll : 1d100=43


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177, Drainage Culvert 4M

Vincent, Awareness test is successful, straight success.

Vincent can't help but hold his breath as he leans forward to peer around the edge of the culvert wall at the next run of the passage. Just before his eyes cross the plane, he hears a violent splashing, followed by a pained, lowing call, 'Hwooooornnnnn', that is loud enough to make him yank his head back. The sound is oddly familiar, and regathering his courage, he peeks again into the next ten meter run of the reeking canal.

About five meters into the next stretch of culvert, nearly blocking the entire length, is a huge, nearly hairless, aurochs-like creature, with long, black, hook-shaped horns erupting from either side of its broad, ponderous, bovine face. Blood pours from a gaping wound in one of the creature's rear haunches, and it splashes about almost madly in fear. The imposing and unexpected sight of the 1200 kilogram maulchups, somehow improbably alive in the abattoir of Ylesium Claustrum, poses a problem of a completely unexpected sort, as the half-crazed beast fully blocks the trio's advance.


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177, Drainage Culvert 4M

Vincent turns to his companions.

'I don't suppose either of you are good with animals...'

How deep is the culvert at this point? Would it be practical to shimmy along the edge to avoid the wounded mulchup, or would the trio have to climb out completely?


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177, Drainage Culvert 4M

Launce looks at Vincent quizzically, and then peers around the corner for himself, finally shaking his head in the negative when he turns back to the clerk.

Vincent, the culvert is approximately ten feet deep at this point. While it is possible to skirt the edge of the wall, there is very little room to do so, and a great deal of caution and/or luck (or some other artifice) would be required, as the maulchups is enraged from its seemingly infected wound. Climbing out of the culvert is possible, but would put you in the open expanse of Plantation 7's grazing pasture. While this area is lessly densely populated with the walking dead than the hillside, you observed several lone creatures and some smaller packs wandering aimlessly about around the ribbon-like line of the culvert when you observed it from afar.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Wardja:
Eradico, just saw your post about your internet connection in the Only War PbP. The bid has reached you in the round with a raise of seven coming from Leprade. I don't want to make the call/raise/fold decision for you here, so I will wait until Monday before advancing things.

Uriah watches from above as the hand unfolds, Tikeen standing nervously beside him near the balcony rail. Even from here he can see the look of intensity on the face of her rogue trader master. She is correct; he is angry, and he does not appear to be man that should be trifled with.

The witch sits, eerily still, behind Trizo and Leprade, the chaotic ripple of her psychic power buzzing like a hive of agitated insects for all her outward tranquility. Looking toward the fighting pit, now covered again at the edge of the viewing area, Uriah can see the security staff of the Gran Pallazzar forming a perimeter around it, moving the velvet ropes closer in, ostensibly in preparation for it to be opened once again.

*************************************************************************** ************

Savalos looks on, feeling helpless, the relief from the intensity of the tournament he initially felt staying out of this round now replaced with a growing nervous tension. He watches as one of Leprade's men leaves the arbitrator's entourage and begins to circulate into the crowd, speaking softly into his microbead. At the same time, Einhardt moves closer toward one of the beverage coolers where the acolyte contingent has hidden their heavier weaponry.

Unexpectedly in his own 'bead, he hears Dunkan's voice, speaking softly so as not surprise him into a visible tell.

<'Stay calm, we're watching them through the surveillance picters on the casino floor, they don't seem to have an inkling anything is amiss yet. Gereos is working on freeing the tech priests and the guardsman from their predicament, but it may be a near thing. There is also a report of some kind of disturbance at one of the tertiary VIP entry points, there are casualties and the Gran Pallazzar is diverting a sizable contingent of their enforcers to contain it. I will keep you apprised as more information comes in.'>


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177, Drainage Culvert 4M

'Ryuk, you could use your wall walking ability to get behind the maulchup.'


Vincent:
Vincent, please attempt an Easy [+30] Intelligence characteristic test.


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177, Drainage Culvert 4M

Intelligence = 53 + 30 = 83

Roll = 1d100=30


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177, Drainage Culvert 4M

Intelligence test successful by five degrees.

In considering the unappealing nature of the various hypothetical possible outcomes of confronting their present situation, Vincent feels least comfortable with circumventing the obstacle the maulchups poses by climbing up and out of the culvert. While it is likely the easiest and quietest path to get around the beast, they will be clearly visible on the flat, open expanse of grassland to whatever plague zombies were wandering in the immediate vicinity of the irrigation canal. Simply executing the maulchups with their firearms also poses the substantial risk that the walking dead above will be drawn to the sound of their weapons-fire. Perhaps worst of all, if the beast continues its painful caterwauling, the undead will come anyway.

While waiting for Ryuk to answer him, Vincent considers their blades. He recalls hearing from one of the clerical staff working under him that the inmates responsible for slaughtering rogue or sick maulchups often disabled the beasts first by firing on, or hamstringing their solitary rear leg. Unable to balance on their massive forelegs without the aid of this appendage, the tripedal beasts would topple over allowing them to be slain quickly and efficiently.

The question remains who among them would be most adept at filing this butcher's bill.

As if to press home the urgency of the situation, the massive beast loudly snorts, its labored breathing and groans of agony becoming louder by the second.


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177, Drainage Culvert 4M

That is good to know, I had no idea they were tripedal. I had assumed they were either quadrapedal or, like the duct wolves, hexapedal.

'Ryuk, if you can get behind it and sever its hind leg it will greatly simplify the situation.


Arbite Investigator
Ahmazzi wrote:
The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

I'm in for seven and toss the chips towards the dealer.

Rook:
Thanks for waiting. It's been crazy at work with no time to post from here. May be a couple more days before I'm up and running.


Male Human Outlaw

While watching everyone toss in there chips. I listen to the crowd around me. News and gossip travel quick, and I might here something about whats going on outside before Dunkan does.


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177, Drainage Culvert 4M

Vincent, Ryuk:
Rad, Ryuk is up. Ellipsis, I will give Rad until tomorrow to post a response, and then move the scene forward if he does not reply.

The maulchups continues to snort and rage around the next bend, the oppressively humid heat trapped in the culvert causing sweat to pour off the companions despite the regulating mechanisms in their environmental bodygloves.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

The dealer rakes in Wardja's chips, and then motions to Lady Cinzia, who calls as well, pushing her own seven chips forward.

Trizo calls as well, his once-glowering expression now lighting with something akin to predatory glee.

"Call---and raise---Nine more."

Wardja notes how the daemonhost smiles sardonically at this development as if drawing strength from the gang-bosses intentional emphasis on the crooked number.

A quick glance at Leprade shows that the Intelligencer is not amused by this unexpected raise. Trizo seems not to notice, or perhaps not to care about his counterpart's irritation, however.

Reluctantly, Leprade calls, pushing another nine chips into the ante, further diminishing his stack.

Keramiah Tor grunts to himself, and folds, superstitiously glaring at the teetering stack of nine chips the Intelligencer just contributed from beneath the hood of his robes.

Having nothing further to bet, Blitz smirks at the dealer and glares daggers at Trizo for the added insult, remaining in the round, all-in.

The dealer then brings his attention back to Wardja.

Raise of nine to you, Wardja.

Heretic's Wake Tournament Round #4:

First Player: Intelligencer Leprade

Current Stakes: 61

Gambling Skill Results:

  • Intelligencer Leprade: Conservative Draw, unknown strength of hand.
  • Keramiah Tor: Folded.
  • Jeremiah Blitz: Conservative Draw, unknown strength of hand.
  • Wardja: 60, one degree of failure, Aggressive Draw, 41, one degree of success.
  • Savalos: 68, two degrees of failure, folded.
  • Lady Cinzia: Aggressive Draw, unknown strength of hand.
  • Johnnie/The Changeling: Folded.
  • Trizo dol Soulard: Aggressive Draw, unknown strength of hand.

Remaining Chips:

  • Lady Cinzia: 44
  • Johnnie/The Changeling: 169
  • Trizo dol Soulard: 251
  • Intelligencer Leprade: 15
  • Keramiah Tor: 9
  • Jeremiah Blitz: 0
  • Jashar Dol Geim: Eliminated
  • Wardja: 91
  • Savalos: 260

Raise of nine to Wardja.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Savalos, please attempt a Hard [-20] Awareness test to pick up anything of import from the crowd. The general atmosphere is tense, and there is a great deal of overlapping conversations and an undercurrent of unease running through the audience, making hearing anything distinct difficult.


Male Human Outlaw

Awareness Test (1d100=39)


Arbite Investigator

There is no way my hand can take the pot. Of those still in, certainly someone has better cards than my meager effort.

Leprade. Doesn't seem overtly confident. Upset with his partner.

Blitz. Is done but letting it ride.

Cinzia's stack is getting low. Why would she stay in unless she has something?

Trizo seems to be the one to worry about. Must have helped himself with that safe draw.

OK. I've been on the sidelines too long. Time to make a play.

"I see the nine and re-raise." I take time counting out an entire stack and set it forward.

"Fifty."

Intimidate (35), roll: 1d100 ⇒ 21, success by two degrees (I think using DH rules)

"Dol Soulard, they say there are power in numbers. Which is stronger, the seven or the nine?"

Attempting Inquiry (45), roll: 1d100 ⇒ 97, failure, maybe critical?

"And Intelligencer, I must admit some surprise at your presence here. Are you aware of Lex Imperialis, IX, subsection 7? The Book of Judgement is quite specific with regards to what is a criminal offence for guardians of justice. And the punishments are oh so grisly."

Attempting Common Lore, Adeptus Arbites (35) to gain a further degree of success on my Intimidate roll with Leprade. Roll: 1d100 ⇒ 1, critical success!

Rook:
OK, my heart is beating! Hoping to run off Lady Cinzia, Trizo with my Intimidate, also Leprade with the extra success for my Arbite Knowledge roll, leaving just Blitz to stay in with his limited all-in. I understand, of course, that the other players are entitled to a Scrutiny roll or such.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Savalos, Awareness test is unsuccessful.

Although he can see that the crowd is becoming increasingly restive, Savalos is unable to discern what, specifically, is causing the growing restlessness in the tournament's patrons.

Comptroller Wimarc's bold raise silences much of this whispering, being completely unexpected given the flow of the game thus far. It even elicits reactions from some of his fellow players, with Lady Cinzia raising an eyebrow ever so slightly, and even Jeremiah Blitz staring curiously at the supposed representative of the Skaelen-Har.

Wardja, Intimidate test is successful by one degree. Please choose one opponent to make an opposed Awareness or Scrutiny test, if that opponent fails to at least match your degrees of success, that opponent will be cowed and forced to fold. Obviously with nothing to lose, Blitz likely won't be effected by this, so please choose between Lady Cinzia, Trizo, and Leprade.

Swinthosa Wardja wrote:
"Dol Soulard, they say there are power in numbers. Which is stronger, the seven or the nine?"

Wardja's pointed choice of words causes the gang-boss to look up from his cards, and for the first time in the entire tournament, he seems to truly notice Wardja, and the feeling is not a comfortable one for even the hardened acolyte. There is a slip to the facade that dol Soulard wears, and it is only then that the arbitrator truly understands the dire threat posed by this man. He makes no attempt to disguise his comprehension of the significance of the two numbers in his answer, and it is obvious that he is in no way some simple pawn of the Ruinous Powers.

Inquiry test unsuccessful (not a critical failure).

"Only Fate knows this answer, arbitrator, and I'd advise you not to tempt it, lest you get an answer you do not like."

Swinthosa Wardja wrote:
"And Intelligencer, I must admit some surprise at your presence here. Are you aware of Lex Imperialis, IX, subsection 7? The Book of Judgement is quite specific with regards to what is a criminal offence for guardians of justice. And the punishments are oh so grisly."

Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites) test is successful, consider the Intimidate test to be successful by two degrees, Wardja. For the critical success if you choose Leprade as the target of your Intimidate test, he receive a -10 penalty to his roll to remain in the game.

"I am well aware, perhaps we can find out together just what the consequences will be, given our shared vocation."

Leprade, unflappable throughout the tournament thus far, bristles at the implicit threat in Wardja's words, his perfect composure momentarily slipping, and even though his retort is delivered with casual contempt, Swinthosa is certain he sees a lingering unease in the Intelligencer's manner.


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Plantation 7, Husbandry Barn Cluster 177, Drainage Culvert 4M

Ryuk, Focus Power, 3d10 ⇒ (2, 9, 10) = 21, Threshold exceeded.

Psychic Phenomena roll, 1d100 ⇒ 53, "Psy Discharge", Ryuk rises 1d5 ⇒ 2 meters into the air, and static electricity discharges to a range of 6d10 ⇒ (9, 7, 7, 10, 3, 8) = 44 meters.

Ryuk uses Focus Power for Float, to avoid falling damage, 3d10 ⇒ (5, 1, 2) = 8, Threshold matched, successful.

Ryuk nods mutely, and confounds Vincent's understanding of gravity once again by striding up the wall of the culvert and jogging along its length until he reaches the other side of the wounded maulchups. The creature does not notice him in its agitated condition until vibrant green energy arcs outward from his body, crackling through the air and casting a baleful, hair-raising, emerald corona over the bloody mire. Suspended almost over the lip of the culvert for a moment, the psyker drops to the ground with a splash and then unsheathes the strange amber blade in one fluid motion, slicing downward in an attempt to sever its solitary hind leg before it can turn fully around.

WS = 38, +10 Witching Blade, +10 Hulkling Target, modified WS = 58 1d100 ⇒ 58, just hit.

Damage is 1d10 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9, the Penetration exceeds the maulchup's natural armor, and Ryuk attempts to channel his psychic power through the blade, Threshold = 6, 3d10 ⇒ (2, 7, 10) = 19, succeeded.

The maulchup's WP = 30, 1d100 ⇒ 70, opposed by Ryuk, WP = 51, 1d100 ⇒ 21, for four degrees of success in the opposed check, dealing an extra 4d10 ⇒ (5, 5, 2, 2) = 14 damage ignoring AP and TB, for a total of 19 damage after reduction for TB for the intitial hit.

The blade easily cleaves through the thick leg of the creature just above the knee joint, and it topples on its side, thrashing madly.

Vincent, a successful hit with the Sliver of Calyx will end the creature's suffering without it making any further noise.

4,501 to 4,550 of 4,884 << first < prev | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dark Heresy: The Oremor Affliction IC All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.