Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Dark Heresy: The Oremor Affliction IC

Game Master Rookseye

On the agri-world of Oremor, at the very fringes of the Malfian sub-sector, acolytes of the Inquisition and their allies must confront a sinister conspiracy that threatens to shake the very foundations of the Calixis sector.


4,401 to 4,450 of 4,884 << first < prev | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | next > last >>

The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

The others, in turn, each call Savalos' raise, pushing the scintillating, nacreous-hued chips forward without a word, with only Jashar dol Geim showing any hesitation. He clumsily fumbles for his pile, hedges for moment while licking his lips, and then pushes ten more in as well.

The dealer ceremoniously waves his hand over the table in a gesture of solemn finality, inclining his head first to Trizo. The gang-boss confidently turns over his hand.

Twin tandems; The Empty Chalice and The Broken Tabernacle and the pairing of The Titan and the Ordinatus Mars. A good hand, a very good hand, and Trizo knows it.

Leprade follows suit, a single tandem, with high value, but a lesser hand to Trizo. He hisses to himself as he turns his over.

Keramiah Tor says nothing, simply flipping one withered hand to reveal a stupendous hand, that easily beats Trizo---a Greater Array...

Trizo curses quietly, and stares daggers at the old man, leaning back sharply in his chair, barely trying to conceal his anger.

It is clear Blitz is beaten even as he reveals his own cards, slapping them dejectedly across the table with a flourish, his smirk replaced by the set line of his mouth and a low sigh.

Jashar dol Geim's eyes positively gleam and Savalos knows at that moment that he holds no bluff in his meaty fist. Throwing down his hand, Savalos is stunned to see another Greater Array (three in one round, the odds!) and feels his stomach sink as he tallies their value. The agri-magnate chortles to himself, his great globe of a belly shaking with unbridled glee. He looks over to Savalos, hands beginning to reach for the chips, and something in the acolyte's expression makes him stop short.

Turning over his own hand, Savalos reveals his own Greater Array, the most valuable of the unlikely three that now rest upon the table. It is with satisfied irony that he notes the 'high' card in his hand that beats those of the others is The Cherubim.

Heretic's Wake Tournament Round #1 Final Results:

First Player: Dowager-Marcheza Cinzia dol Vingere

Current Stakes: 249

Gambling Results, Following the Draw:

  • Lady Cinzia: Folded
  • Johnnie/The Changeling: Folded
  • Trizo dol Soulard: 22, 3 degrees of success
  • Intelligencer Leprade: 20 (2 degrees of success)
  • Keramiah Tor: 7, (three degrees of success)
  • Jeremiah Blitz: 27 (2 degrees of success)
  • Jashar Dol Geim: 5 (3 degrees of success)
  • Wardja: Folded
  • Savalos: 2 (4 degrees of success)

Remaining Chips:

  • Lady Cinzia: 99
  • Johnnie/The Changeling: 99
  • Trizo dol Soulard: 59
  • Intelligencer Leprade: 59
  • Keramiah Tor: 59
  • Jeremiah Blitz: 59
  • Jashar Dol Geim: 59
  • Wardja: 99
  • Savalos: 308

Winner: Savalos

Savalos:
Wow, great round Sav, even I didn't see that one coming!


Arbite Investigator

As the crowd gasps and shouts, I sneak a peek at my fellow acolyte. Don't know if he was lucky or good--or both--but that's an amazing start. Great job, Thul! Now he can sit back and wait for another big hand or with that chip lead start throwing his weight around. Regardless, he'll be remaining in the game for some time.

I need to be careful. I'm getting caught up in the emotion and excitement of the game. There's more than chips at stake here... there's a whole planet that could be lost.


Male Human Outlaw

In all my days shuffling cards. Three Greater Array's at one table!

Looking at the Cherubim I smile to myself. If the card was a woman I would have kissed it.

Seeing all eyes on me. I decide to set each card down slowly for dramatic effect. Saving the Cherubim for last. Smiling only when the last card hits the table. In part I am acting in my role as the Noble. Play to the crowd. The other is more to gauge my opponents. The more I learn the better.

All I do know for sure is a read Geim completely wrong. I got lucky. Course Tygault always use to say. Better lucky than good. Then again the Old Man always told me. When it comes to cards, know when to walk away, know when to run... Got a feeling I will be doing a lot of both before the last card hits the table.

More importantly I know I drew the attention of everyone. So everyone at the table, vs Srina who I know is somewhere in the crowd. She almost made me us. To threats unseen who are examing me with calculating eyes. All focused on me. Which means my moved are limited until the momentum changes. All the dirty work has to be done by Wardja for now.

More importantly. Lady Cinzia, and the Daemon both showed they can read me. I have to becareful, and heed the warning they gave me.

Rook

Spoiler:
Did not expect the card game to get so intense so fast. Felt like I played a hand in an old spaghetti western. I totally thought Geim was bluffing. I got lucky. While its nice winning the opening round. I don't expect to even come close to winning this. All I did was give them a bloody nose.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

As the applause finally diminishes, Savalos, with the exultation of the most brilliant hand of cards in his life waning, warily composes himself in the face of all of the unwanted attention. Almost all of his fellow players at the table take their losses, large or small, with the quiet equanimity of professional gamblers---all save Jashar dol Geim that is. The agri-magnate hisses a frustrated curse, glaring at the upstart repatriated nobleman with barely veiled contempt.

Savalos scarcely notices. Juan Rico, or the thing he has become watches him with something akin to terrible affection, his inscrutable, bright blue gaze lingering on the outline of the long scar he once inflicted.

Thul is startled out of his entranced reverie, realizing how long he had locked eyes with the Changeling, when Lady Cinzia offers her seemingly genuine congratulations.

"Well played, Dawnstar, but mind me, the night has only begun!"

Leprade, ignoring dol Geim's heated soliloquy, nods toward the man he knows as Odo Wimarc, and comments,

"Conservatism has its place, Comptroller, congratulations are in order for your foresight, it seems the rest of us had our noses bloodied a bit."

As dealer completes the time-consuming task of using the diamantine croupier's rake to push Savalos' substantial winnings to his place at the table, Jeremiah Blitz replies with his own unsolicited opinion, nodding toward Thul.

"Well and good, Intelligencer, but as the results illustrate quite clearly, you can't win unless you take some risks."

Leprade says nothing. As the dealer gathers the placards into a stack once again, he nod toward Juan Rico, his eyes flicking nervously askance after meeting the Changeling's cobalt gaze. He begins dealing with the new First Player, and the daemonhost smiles enigmatically as the cards begin to fall.

In game banter is welcome as the deal occurs, please roll your initial Gambling skill test for this round.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

As Uriah watches the round play out to its conclusion, inwardly relieved at the fortuitous result, he hears the urgent buzz of his microbead in his ear.

Tikeen watches him closely, brow furrowing a bit, and the psyker hopes he did not make his rooting interest in the tournament too obvious. It is with relief that he notices her own, more obvious communications linkage has toned, and she covers one ear before making a quiet apology to step away and speak privately for a moment, conveniently leaving him with an opportunity to answer as well without undue attention.

<<<'Uriah, Oktammor here. It's urgent.'>>>


Rad:
Rad, please post an Initiative test, just a reminder in case you missed it with the page turn.


Male Human Outlaw

I smile at Lady Cinzia. Taking the high road and ignoring Geim's outburst.

"Yes, the night is very young, and the last card is far from being played."

I return the respectful nod to Jeremiah.

All the while swallowing my apprehension of the Daemon.

Damn I'll be lucky if I don't get fitted with a toe tag before the end of the night.

Gambling (1d100=38)


Somewhere Dark

Kaltos is fairly certain the message went through, but so far he hears nothing but static in return. He grimaces with the effort of keeping the precarious and and unwieldy staff-antenna upright, knowing that he cannot keep it balanced for much longer.

As the staff begins to slip in his grip, there is a tight-beamed burst of binary that squirts through the interference.

--[01110100 01110010 01100001 01101110 01110011 01101101 01101001 01110011 01110011 01101001 01101111 01101110 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100011 01100101 01101001 01110110 01100101 01100100 00111011 00100000 00100010 01000101 01111000 01100011 01110101 01101100 01110000 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 00100000 01000101 01110010 01110010 01100001 01101110 01110100 00100000 01010011 01110111 01101111 01110010 01100100 00100010]

Kaltos' grimace turns to relief as he lowers the makeshift antenna mast.

He still does not comprehend all of the Inquisitorial ciphers, but this one was quite simple to interpret:

"Transmission received; 'Exculpation Errant Sword'."

In simpler terms: 'Acknowledged, assistance pending'.


Arbite Investigator
Ahmazzi wrote:

Leprade, ignoring dol Geim's heated soliloquy, nods toward the man he knows as Odo Wimarc, and comments,

"Conservatism has its place, Comptroller, congratulations are in order for your foresight, it seems the rest of us had our noses bloodied a bit."

Giving a slight nod of acknowledgment to Leprade, I wonder what's behind his compliment.

I use the moment to twist the knife in the Agri-Magnate, "Intelligencer, do not mind the bluster from His Corpulence. The Concordium states, 'The Fool counts his profit before trading closes.'

Gambling Test (45), roll: 1d100 ⇒ 54

My cards--Worthless lettuce. I look over at the Rogue Trader, "The Concordium also states, 'The rash investment leads to pauperage.'


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

<<"Uriah Here. Go Oktammor.">>


Init 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Planning to test the rules for wall walk in the coming posts.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Jashar dol Geim scoffs at Wardja's cutting remark in the guise of Odo Wimarc, piggish eyes flicking back and forth between he and Leprade,

"Pah! I have not amassed my fortune by remaining meek! When I choose to lead my life by the words of a pompous emotionless eunuch, Wimarc, then I will be sure to heed your advice, until then you would do well to keep silent on such matt-er-s-Urrppp!

Jashar dol Geim's angry remonstration is cut-off mid-sentence by a throaty belch, after which he wipes his face sullenly with a silk kerchief.

Jeremiah Blitz smirks, unable to resist piling on.

"The Comptroller here may be right, dol Geim. Another morsel of sage advice from myself to you: never trust estuary shrimp that has been sitting on the buffet for the last three hours. But then again, we all need to learn these lessons for ourselves."

Lady Cinzia pats Savalos' hand like an affectionate gran-dame as the second round is dealt.

"Don't get too attached to those markers, my dear, I plan on getting them back very soon."

After the hand is dealt, the dealer looks warily in the direction of Rico again. Johnnie, or the thing that he has become, smiles without emotion, never once lifting the dealt cards from the table's surface to examine them. Wardja tries not to look into the limpid, bright blue eyes of the one-time acolyte and arbitrator, fearful of what convoluted, terrifying truths he might see therein.

When he speaks, it is with Rico's voice, but not his soul or humanity, a titter of icily brittle laughter escaping his lips, as if he alone is privy to the answer of some inscrutable riddle and is lording it over the rest of you.

"I will raise---nine."

There is a long silence as the rest of the table looks blankly at him, stunned by what is either construed as reckless overconfidence, a preposterously confident means of bluffing, or outright, undeniable insanity.

Trizo is the first to speak after what seems an eternity, his voice coldly threatening, like an abusive father correcting a wayward child in public, reminding him of the punishment that awaits when the judgmental eyes of others are gone.

"You will regret this."

He tosses his cards away, folding.

Leprade clearly discomfited by the circumstances considers for a long time before adding nine chips to the ante.

"Call"

Keramiah Tor never so much as looks at his placards either, almost superstitiously pushing them away to indicate he has conceded his hand as well, long sleeves softly whispering across the table as he brings his arms back in to his sides. For the first time his hollow, disinterested gaze is drawn to something, and he looks intently at Rico as if taking the measure of him.

Blitz simply shakes his head, having clearly never seen the like in all his lifetime playing games of chance.

"Seriously?"

He tries to remain lightheartedly humorous but the unease is plain in his voice, the hesitation clear.

He glances at the other players, perhaps to gauge their reactions, and then pushes nine chips forward.

"It's worth the price of admission just to see how this plays out."

"I'm in."

Jashar dol Geim chuckles to himself, perhaps emboldened by the other's taunts.

"No madman will take my wealth without a fight, the rest of you are fools for falling for such theatrics. Call!."

He pushes his chips forward as well, and the dealer turns to Wardja, followed by Savalos.

Heretic's Wake Tournament Round #2:

First Player: Juan Rico/The Changeling

Current Stakes: 45

Gambling Skill Results:


  • Johnnie/The Changeling:
  • Trizo dol Soulard: Folded
  • Intelligencer Leprade:
  • Keramiah Tor: Folded
  • Jeremiah Blitz:
  • Jashar Dol Geim:
  • Wardja: 54 (straight failure)
  • Savalos: 38 (straight success)
  • Lady Cinzia:

Remaining Chips:

  • Lady Cinzia: 98
  • Johnnie/The Changeling: 89
  • Trizo dol Soulard: 58
  • Intelligencer Leprade: 49
  • Keramiah Tor: 58
  • Jeremiah Blitz: 49
  • Jashar Dol Geim: 49
  • Wardja: 98
  • Savalos: 307

Remember the Draw is pending following the First Player's round of betting. Betting will then be open once you have chosen to either take new cards or hold your current hand.


Arbite Investigator

"Fold."

At least five hands in plus the daemon does not bode well.

Aside: "You will have to wait a bit longer, M'Lady."


Male Human Outlaw

As much as it disdains me to do it. I take a long look into the Daemon's eyes. Weighing if the beast wearing Rico's skin is bluffing or not. I feel like I am on the stairs all over again.

Trizo, and Tor folding add weight to what I am thinking. This hand has also shown more insight into the mysterious Keramiah.

Do I fold now loosing 1 chip. Or do I raise 1 chip to deny it its number? 1 chip or 10?

Before making my decision I look to see what the cards tell me.

Soothsayer (1d100=34)


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Turning away from the mezzanine balcony, Uriah waits for the gravelly voice of Dunkan's bodyguard to continue.

<<<'All indications show that word of the co-governor's assassination has not leaked from the Upspire yet, but just the same, there is something seriously wrong in the Underhive. Reports are coming in from our safe-houses and the Duct Wolves in Lower Vaxus that there is some kind of rioting or civil unrest occurring. It appears to be originating in the areas hit hardest by this new strain of stagnant ague and it sounds like the Ministorum hospice-missions are filling past capacity and the death-toll is growing exponentially---there is even speculation that it's some kind of plague and not the seasonal illness. From the word we're hearing, the Redemption has already mobilized, and Friar Savonar and his brethren are trying to maintain order in the manner the Redemption is most accustomed to---by burning anything in their path. Whole levels are going dark, though, and the survivors who have reached the Wolves are talking madness---that those dead from the illness are coming back to life and infecting others.'>>>

Uriah hears the sounds of restive yelling and authoritarian voices from somewhere near Dunkan, followed by a crash as something topples over. When he speaks again, it is lower and more conspiratorial.

<<<'We're already catching the ripple effect on the Grey Way, even here we're seeing an influx of arbitrators from the 77th, and there are rumblings that the Oremor 1st Legion is moving in as well. It won't be long before inter-level travel is restricted entirely. We're holding our position for now, but we might have to relocate to a more circumspect position to stay out of the notice of the Arbites and Guard.>>>


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

<<<Understood. Do What you have to. Inform me when you have to move and your final location.>>>

And so it begins.


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Husbandry Barn 177-B

The Slaughter Barn
Round #1
Battlemap

Conditions:

  • Each square on the map represents 1 meter.

  • The floor of the husbandry barn is covered is strewn with the corpses, viscera, and fluids of dead maulchups, guardsmen, and penitent-prisoners. A character making a Full Action Move must make a successful Challenging [+0] Agility test, or a Routine [+20] Acrobatics skill test to avoid slipping and falling Prone.

  • In order to successfully escape the horde of plague zombies massing on the southern edge of the map the companions must break through the interposing undead and reach the northern edge of the map, and with it, the open barn entrance doors.

Initiative Order:

07-Vincent
04-Ryuk
04-Launce
01-Fydae Plague Zombies

Vincent watches the rotting, stinking horrors plodding toward them, air coming harsh through his respirator mask.

He knows one thing, and one thing only with absolute certainty: it would be far better to perish in the yawning jaws of these cannibalistic dead-men than to survive and carry on their contagion. They must not become exposed or injured, lest a lingering death and resurrection as one of these abominations be their fate.

Vincent acts first.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

"Feh! Coward! I presume you are aware, Wimarc, that you cannot invest your chips at the conclusion of the Tournament."

Jashar dol Geim spits this invective as Wardja folds.

Trade (Soothsayer) test is successful, Savalos. You may add one degree of success to either your hand or one degree of success to your Awareness or Scrutiny test to determine Strength of Hand of your opponents in this round.

Savalos considers the cards he holds, finding a dearth of meaning in their relation to one another. He notices that he holds The Drifting Hulk, a card open to many possible interpretations; the potential boon of rediscovering wealth long forgotten, or the peril of disturbing things best left alone.

Choice is yours, Sav.


Male Human Outlaw

I will use it to determine Str of Hand this round.


Arbite Investigator
Ahmazzi wrote:

The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

"Feh! Coward! I presume you are aware, Wimarc, that you cannot invest your chips at the conclusion of the Tournament."

Jashar dol Geim spits this invective as Wardja folds.

I pay the Agri-Magnate no mind. Will bide my time in the game for now.

I try to read the crowd and the players. Not so much for strategy within the game but what else is going on? Especially between Leprade, Trizo, and the Rico-Thing. Am I missing the bigger picture?

Perception (50), roll: 1d100 ⇒ 50


Ahmazzi wrote:

Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Husbandry Barn 177-B

The Slaughter Barn
Round #1

Vincent acts first.

Vincent strides forward through the muck until he stands next to one of the open stall doors. Seeing a single shambling horror blocks his path, he fires.

Completely missing the zombie.

Vincent takes a half-action move to G5 and fires his laspistol at Fydae Zombie 5

Ballistic Skill + Point Blank Range = 36 + 30 = 66

Roll: 1d100=76


Ryuk is next.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

The large pile of rainbow-hued chips sitting before him help Savalos make a decision, and he elects to remain in the round. Calling the raise, he contributes nine more chips to the pot.

Lady Cinzia is next, and the spire-dame makes a point of not looking in the direction of the daemonhost to her right. Calling, she pushes her own chips forward.

The First Player's round of betting concluded, the dealer gestures hesitantly toward Juan Rico again, who has still not elected to lift up his cards from the table. Staring across the table at Savalos, he waits a long moment before almost imperceptibly shaking his head in the negative.

There is a baffled murmur that runs through the audience, and then the dealer turns toward Leprade, who declines the Draw as well.

With Tor out, Blitz eyes the Changeling intently, unsure of what to make of this bizarre turn of events. He tosses four of his own cards into the center of the table, picking up the replacements one at a time as they are dealt, his own reaction unreadable as he examines his new hand.

Jashar dol Geim exchanges four of his own placards, greedily grabbing those returned to him by the dealer.

The dealer looks past Wardja who has folded, to Savalos once again.

Sav, do you wish to draw?


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Wardja, Perception is exactly successful.

Swinthosa Wardja wrote:


I try to read the crowd and the players. Not so much for strategy within the game but what else is going on? Especially between Leprade, Trizo, and the Rico-Thing. Am I missing the bigger picture?

Wardja tries to read the players remaining in the game, but finds it difficult with the skill level of those involved. It is abundantly clear that Jashar dol Geim is the weakest player of the bunch now, and Swinthosa is fairly certain he is running a bluff by remaining in the game, his pomposity and ego driving him on. It is clear that he has no inkling of the seriousness of what the daemon-thing is doing.

Blitz is another matter entirely. He senses it. Wardja noticed on his Draw that his expression remained impassive, but he is clearly ill at ease. His posture remains rigid, and the arbitrator wants to believe he will bow out, doubting he improved his hand very much.

The others are a mystery.

Rico, or the thing within him, unknowable. Cinzia and Leprade betray nothing of their hands, although it is clear Cinzia is distressed by both her proximity to the Changeling as well as the unconventional play it has exhibited.


Male Human Outlaw
Ahmazzi wrote:

The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

The large pile of rainbow-hued chips sitting before him help Savalos make a decision, and he elects to remain in the round. Calling the raise, he contributes nine more chips to the pot.

Lady Cinzia is next, and the spire-dame makes a point of not looking in the direction of the daemonhost to her right. Calling, she pushes her own chips forward.

The First Player's round of betting concluded, the dealer gestures hesitantly toward Juan Rico again, who has still not elected to lift up his cards from the table. Staring across the table at Savalos, he waits a long moment before almost imperceptibly shaking his head in the negative.

There is a baffled murmur that runs through the audience, and then the dealer turns toward Leprade, who declines the Draw as well.

With Tor out, Blitz eyes the Changeling intently, unsure of what to make of this bizarre turn of events. He tosses four of his own cards into the center of the table, picking up the replacements one at a time as they are dealt, his own reaction unreadable as he examines his new hand.

Jashar dol Geim exchanges four of his own placards, greedily grabbing those returned to him by the dealer.

The dealer looks past Wardja who has folded, to Savalos once again.

Sav, do you wish to draw?

Rook was waiting for an answer from my last post before I posted. To keep things moving, and keep things interestng.

"Raise 1" I keep an even eye with the Changeling.

I draw no cards. I play my hand as the cards lie.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

I'm sorry Sav, my fault, please make an Awareness or Scrutiny test, adding one degree of success to the result if you succeed.


Male Human Outlaw

No worries. Was just hoping to bid with more info is all Lol

Awareness Test (1d100=4)


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Savalos Thul wrote:
No worries. Was just hoping to bid with more info is all Lol

Great roll, Sav, I'll let you adjust your bid if you choose with the information below. Awareness test is successful by four degrees, adjusted up one more degree to five degrees.

Savalos eyes first dol Geim, then Blitz. He doesn't need Wardja's observations, even now coming over his microbead in Inquisitorial cipher to know that the former is all bluster this round, and the latter is considering folding.

Looking across from him at Leprade, it is far harder to tell. His posture and bearing suggest he is confident, and it doesn't seem a bluff. He means to go toe-to-toe with whoever remains in the round, and likely has the hand to back it up.

Although he hates himself a little for it, Lady Cinzia tips her hand ever so slightly after the draw, revealing that she holds The Titan, making it clear by process of elimination that her hand is undoubtedly a good one as well.

Almost reluctantly Sav returns his gaze to the Changeling, and finds that the daemon has not looked away from him, not even for a moment. The timeless gaze, diconcerting and labyrinthine, forces him to avert his eyes. How in Throne's name can he guess the daemon's hand, when the thing refuses to even look at its own cards?!

His gut, the instincts so long honed in the Underhive scream at him:

There is danger here...

Sav, prior to Lady Cinzia's call/raise I will give you the option of increasing your raise if you wish. The above information is what you have gleaned from sizing up your opponents.


Male Human Outlaw

I will keep my bid where it's at. Breaking the number nine. As a player I have no clue where my strength of hand is. So playing Sav more conservative.

I have no illusion in winning his hand. Actually pretty sure I am throwing chips away. But I had to test my theory. Rather sacrifice a few chips now than loose the whole game later. I just hope chips aren't lives in this twisted game. Like the regicide board...

I need to know if breaking the number will make a difference. If this creature is bluffing. How acute is its Divination ability? Can it read every hand without seeing it?

Frag I so don't want to be here. Rather just empty my Duct Sweeper into the damn thing. Even though deep down I know it would do no good.

I am sitting hear because of what's at stake. And Johnnies message/warning. Play the cards as they lay. Looking at what is playing out before me. It looks pretty damn blatant.

One thing is for sure. I have its damn attention.


Arbite Investigator
Swinthosa Wardja wrote:
I try to read the crowd and the players. Not so much for strategy within the game but what else is going on? Especially between Leprade, Trizo, and the Rico-Thing. Am I missing the bigger picture?

Rook:
Since Wardja folded and he's done this hand, the last Awareness was more for what is going on "outside" the game. Didn't know if he might learn something worth knowing. If nothing's there, that's fine. Just checking.

Ahmazzi wrote:
Ryuk is next.

Wall Walk 3d10 + 5 ⇒ (2, 4, 2) + 5 = 13

Agility 1d100 ⇒ 28

Ryuk walks to the nearest wall... vertically.

"Get out of the reach of those things!!!"


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Eradico:
OK, just remember, you can still make 'reads' and pass them to Sav if he remains in the game using the sub-vocalization of Inquisitorial ciphers you agreed upon beforehand.

Wardja watches the daemonhost, Trizo, and Leprade trying to understand the dynamic at play here.

It is plainly obvious that the gang-leader is furious with the daemon's presence at the table. Leprade's earlier reaction also cements what the arbitrator suspected to be true, namely, that their adversaries had no inkling that Juan Rico, and more specifically the scheming thing residing inside of him, was to be playing in the tournament.

Trizo's anger and Leprade's initial aloofness also suggest that this development is more of a confounding irritation to them than a true concern, although Leprade's unease seems to be growing with the daemonhost's increasingly brazen behavior.

He is again reminded of his own subconscious alluding to Trizo acting the part of an abusive father enraged with a willful child in a public setting; a child he has complete control over, a child who he fully expects to suffer later for his disobedience.

A cold knot of fear coalesces in Wardja's gut at such hubris and what it could presage for all of Oremor, making it difficult to even gaze upon the Changeling. He commands himself to do so however, the knot tightening further at what he sees.

Juan Rico smiles a smile not his own, still staring down Savalos as the acolyte ponders whether or not to call this hand.

No, there is only one being at this table exerting any measure of control.


Male Human Outlaw
Savalos Thul wrote:


"Raise 1" I keep an even eye with the Changeling.

I draw no cards. I play my hand as the cards lie.

Guess this post got missed so will repost.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Bal:
Not missed, Sav, I'm just slow at the keyboard tonight, heh.

Lady Cinzia calls as well, adding a single chip to the pot, and then considering a raise of her own. She decides against it, and the dealer's eye reluctantly falls again on Johnnie.

The daemon glances at the face-down cards that make up its hand, and then to the pot, as if having never seen either before. Rico's face then contorts visibly, before his lips erupt with hysterical laughter. It goes on for an uncomfortable while, and the audience begins to murmur again, some disapprovingly.

He tosses a chip upon the pile disinterestedly, and the laughter stops as abruptly as if it had been turned off by a switch. His eyes again fall on Savalos, pinning him to the chair.

"Call." He says it flatly, without affect, but the threat is still there. He does not like the game Savalos plays with the numbers.

"Raise, nine." Savalos has known Juan Rico for the better part of his life, and never has the former Wolf and acolyte ever uttered words in a tone so filled with such vainglorious self-satisfaction. If Rico was ever was in control before, it is clear he is not at present.

Leprade quietly tosses in ten more chips of his own, glancing sidelong again at the daemonhost, his expression unreadable.

Blitz has seen enough. He places his cards face-down without a word.

Jashar dol Geim is another matter entirely, he seems oblivious to the tension at the table, and passes ten more chips forward.

"The more the better, I say."

Notably, he does not raise again.

The dealer looks to Savalos, waiting to see if he will call again.

Heretic's Wake Tournament Round #2:

First Player: Juan Rico/The Changeling

Current Stakes: 95

Gambling Skill Results:


  • Johnnie/The Changeling: Likely excellent hand.
  • Trizo dol Soulard: Folded
  • Intelligencer Leprade: Likely excellent hand.
  • Keramiah Tor: Folded
  • Jeremiah Blitz: Folded.
  • Jashar Dol Geim: Likely bluff.
  • Wardja: 54 (straight failure)
  • Savalos: 38 (straight success)
  • Lady Cinzia: Likely good hand.

Remaining Chips:

  • Lady Cinzia: 88
  • Johnnie/The Changeling: 79
  • Trizo dol Soulard: 58
  • Intelligencer Leprade: 39
  • Keramiah Tor: 58
  • Jeremiah Blitz: 49
  • Jashar Dol Geim: 39
  • Wardja: 98
  • Savalos: 297

Raise of nine again to Savalos.


Ellipsis:
Ellipsis, I have emailed Rad, if he does not take his turn by tomorrow night, I will take it for him to move the game forward.


Male Human Outlaw

I know I am unnerved but I am getting the result I was hoping for.

"Raise 1" For the God Emperor. May he be smiling down on me now.

No worries Rook. Got confused with the above post to Wardja. Thought my post was missed.


I sigh slightly as I lower the awkward fusion of staffs and wire. " They have heard and are trying to get to us. They must have a disciple of the mechanicus for they deciphered the code quite quickly."

Every 10 min I will remake the connection to see if we get any response or if anything changes on our end.


Rook:
Rad already posted


Arbite Investigator

Thul pushing the Abomination even further does nothing for the knot in my gut or the chill up my spine.

Watching the Yellowbouros--It seems his pet has bit through the leash. Trizo's price for losing such a... thing will be severe. What concerns me, however, is the catastrophic level of collateral damage that will follow.

Rook:
OK, thanks for the heads up on the Perception roll. Wardja will hold off trying to communicate via cipher this round since he really doesn't have a good read on the hand.


Unduz II, Oremor 7th Legion Penal Claustrum, Designate Ylesium, Husbandry Barn 177-B

Rad, Ellipsis:
My apologies, was switching back and forth posting between games last night and must have missed Rad's response.

Vincent moves laterally, his las pistol firing with a crack-hiss, but the unfamiliar weapon fires wide, a searing path of light cutting through the gloom of the barn but nothing more.

Ryuk wills himself into motion, the amber-hued blade in hand, bolting for the wall to his right. At first glance, Vincent believes he means to enter one of the stalls, but with an effortless leap, the psyker launches himself toward one of the corrugated metal walls between the animal pens, and somehow reorients both himself and gravity, jogging up the vertical surface.

Focus Power roll is successful, Ryuk, assuming a full move of 6 meters, this puts you in square G15, 1 meter up the side of the pen wall.

Although the map really doesn't show three-dimensions, the walls between the pens can be climbed to a height of ten meters, curving up and inward as they ascend before reaching one of several cross-beams that pass over the main floor of the barn. The walls don't make it to the roof of the barn, serving mainly as structural supports and partitions for the pens on either side. One of these half-meter wide support beams passes over the row "H" at a height of about nine meters.

There is an insect-like clicking as Launce tries to re-ignite the pilot on the flamer he carries, and it finally flares to life. The tech-priest wastes no time, only waiting long enough to allow Ryuk to get clear before laying a scorching cloud of liquid prometheum across the undead staggering toward him. Vincent involuntarily shields his eyes as the white-hot fan of searing fire arcs through the barn.

No attack roll necessary, with a 30 degree arc of fire, Launce hits Fydae Zombie #1, #3, #4, #6. Rolling damage, 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6, rolling Agility (10) tests for the zombies to Dodge, 1d100 ⇒ 37, 1d100 ⇒ 26, 1d100 ⇒ 87, 1d100 ⇒ 55, all failed, rolling Agility tests to see if the zombies catch on fire, 1d100 ⇒ 68, 1d100 ⇒ 69, 1d100 ⇒ 12, 1d100 ⇒ 82, all are set aflame. With a Pen of 3, this results in only three points of the Fydae Zombies' TB (6) from applying, so each takes 3 points of Energy damage.

The liquified fire ignites, covering the walking corpses, the stench of their putrid flesh catching flame creating a sickly-sweet odor that is almost enough to overwhelm the senses. Despite four of the corpses being wholly engulfed, they continue to stumble forward, their jaws stretching open into rictus grins, a terrible agonized moaning escaping their rotting lips.

Each of the plague zombies moves forward 1 meter.

Vincent is next.


The Slaughter Barn
Round #2
Battlemap

Conditions:


  • Each square on the map represents 1 meter.

  • The floor of the husbandry barn is covered is strewn with the corpses, viscera, and fluids of dead maulchups, guardsmen, and penitent-prisoners. A character making a Full Action Move must make a successful Challenging [+0] Agility test, or a Routine [+20] Acrobatics skill test to avoid slipping and falling Prone.

  • In order to successfully escape the horde of plague zombies massing on the southern edge of the map the companions must break through the interposing undead and reach the northern edge of the map, and with it, the open barn entrance doors.

Initiative Order:

07-Vincent
04-Ryuk: Ryuk is one meter above the floor of the barn, ascending the eastern pen wall.
04-Launce
01-Fydae Plague Zombies: Zombies #1, #3, #4, #6 are all on fire.


Male Human Outlaw

A strange thought cross's my mind as me and the Daemon play this deadly game.

What is Trizo's Witch doing during all of this? I am guessing she isn't stupid. And seeing Trizo's arrogance dealing with the Hitchhiker, and knowing what it has done to people; especially women. That it would only be so bold if Trizo's hold is slipping or gone. Its making me wonder if she will make a move to change allegiances. Seeing the short work it has done to Yellobacks. Trizo's pain won't be so fast or lucky... She's got to know that.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Savalos calls, placing nine more chips in the pile, and then raises one more for a second time. The Changeling's smile turns down at the lips as this happens, and it takes all Sav's will to remain seated, so terrifying is this tiniest of gestures of disapproval.

Lady Cinzia calls the ten chips, and the dealer turns toward Johnnie.

Still refusing to take the cards in hand, the Changeling takes a single chip from its pile, thumbing it across the table almost petulantly to join the others. Breaking its terrible gaze from Savalos, it shoots a glance down the table to Leprade who flinches slightly in spite of himself.

The Intelligencer slides forward a single chip as well, muttering something inaudible to Trizo after doing so.

The dealer turns again to dol Geim and the fat noble slides another chip across as well, staying in the round. He says nothing as he does so, perhaps his paltry attempt at discretion after watching both Leprade and Savalos earn the daemonhost's ire.

The dealer nods toward Savalos again.

Call or raise, Sav?

Heretic's Wake Tournament Round #2:

First Player: Juan Rico/The Changeling

Current Stakes: 118

Gambling Skill Results:


  • Johnnie/The Changeling: Likely excellent hand.
  • Trizo dol Soulard: Folded
  • Intelligencer Leprade: Likely excellent hand.
  • Keramiah Tor: Folded
  • Jeremiah Blitz: Folded
  • Jashar Dol Geim: Likely bluff.
  • Wardja: 54 (straight failure), Folded.
  • Savalos: 38 (straight success)
  • Lady Cinzia: Likely good hand.

Remaining Chips:

  • Lady Cinzia: 78
  • Johnnie/The Changeling: 78
  • Trizo dol Soulard: 58
  • Intelligencer Leprade: 38
  • Keramiah Tor: 58
  • Jeremiah Blitz: 49
  • Jashar Dol Geim: 38
  • Wardja: 98
  • Savalos: 287


Male Human Outlaw

I've already tested the waters enough this go round. Pushing one more chip would be to much. I will take my lumps and loose my twenty. I learned what I needed to.

"I call"


The Slaughter Barn
Round #2
Battlemap

Rook:
I hate to tell you this, but unfortunately Penetration does not allow a weapon to bypass Toughness, only armor. This means the zombies would take no damage from Launce's attack (unless you were to rule that flames are more effective against zombies for some reason).

How high are the stall doors in the husbandry barn? Are they waist height or are they full height?


Nine more rounds and Ryuk would have to roll again to sustain wall walk

Bio Lightning (14) 3d10 + 5 ⇒ (1, 2, 7) + 5 = 15

Damage 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Ryuk's eyes blaze with an eerie green light as a lightning connects him and the nearest Z for but a moment. He then moves further up the wall.


Ellipsis:
I kind of ruled on the side of the players on this one Ellipsis. Although Pen usually doesn't apply to TB, I felt that a flamer, for the purposes of zombie-cooking, would have an advantageous effect under the circumstances. I'm consistently impressed with your honesty in rules situations, though, even when they would adversely effect you. Consider the house-rule a thanks for that. :)

Vincent Sepheris wrote:
How high are the stall doors in the husbandry barn? Are they waist height or are they full height?

The stall doors are approximately man-height, comprised of closely spaced horizontally stacked plas tubes with inch-high spaces between them. (think extra thick PVC piping).


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Pinnacle of Pearl

Dowager-Marcheza Cinzia dol Vingere declines a chance to raise as well, calling instead, and thus ending the round of betting.

The dealer passes his hands over the table again to memorialize this, and then turns to the Changeling, who slowly flips over each card in turn.

There is an indrawn gasp from Lady Cinzia, and a muttered curse comes from Leprade. Trizo does not look over at the cards or the Changeling, but his cold, simmering anger is present just the same. It is clear that the entire exercise of sitting next to what he perceives as his disobedient thrall is taxing his self-control. Jashar dol Geim stares at the fourth Greater Array of the tournament, dumbfounded, for once at a loss for words.

Perhaps more disconcerting is that the hand is identical to Savalos' array in the prior round, with one glaring exception: The Cherubim has been replaced with the The Daemon.

It is clear how Leprade has fared almost immediately, as he discards an almost unbeatable twin tandem in disgust.

Jashar dol Geim merely stares blankly for a moment longer at what amounts to the most astronomical of odds being impossibly contradicted yet again, and leans back, his seat groaning in time with his own heavy sigh. One of his meek smile girls coos apologetically and tries to wipe a dampened kerchief across his furrowed brow, but he slaps her hand cruelly away.

Savalos is beaten, his single tandem no better a bluff than dol Geim's hand. Lady Cinzia's hand is slightly better, but nowhere approaching what the Changeling holds.

With a whispered scrape of diamantine on felt, the dealer pushes the accumulated chips into a pile before Johnnie.

In a wry, silken voice that nonetheless carries with it the unmistakable tone of feigned surprise, false modesty, and a touch of the gloating victor, the Changeling says, "It seems Fate is on my side."

Heretic's Wake Tournament Round #2:

First Player: Juan Rico/The Changeling

Current Stakes: 118

Gambling Skill Results:


  • Johnnie/The Changeling: 12 (5 degrees of success)
  • Trizo dol Soulard: Folded
  • Intelligencer Leprade: 8 (4 degrees of success)
  • Keramiah Tor: Folded
  • Jeremiah Blitz: Folded
  • Jashar Dol Geim: 41 (straight failure), Aggressive Draw, 21, (1 degree of success)
  • Wardja: 54 (straight failure), Folded.
  • Savalos: 38 (straight success)
  • Lady Cinzia: 34 (2 degrees of success)

Remaining Chips:

  • Lady Cinzia: 78
  • Johnnie/The Changeling: 196
  • Trizo dol Soulard: 58
  • Intelligencer Leprade: 38
  • Keramiah Tor: 58
  • Jeremiah Blitz: 49
  • Jashar Dol Geim: 38
  • Wardja: 98
  • Savalos: 287

Winner: Juan Rico/The Changeling


Male Human Outlaw

I lost twenty, but knew that going in. The wealth of knowledge was well worth the exchange in chips.

Testing the number. Testing its ability of divination. Even its gloating. And knowing from previous experience that it can be bluffed. Definitely learned a lot.

I doubt Leprade and Trizo will have there conversation here. The Daemon's interest in me is too much. They are going to clam up, and gather whatever info they can on me. Only hope at anything is if Trizo blows his cool.

I can think of only one thing that could do that. Damn it would be nice to have my furs draped over my shoulders right in front of him. Then we would get the info we need. It would be our best chance for him to slip up.

As for the Daemon. Our best odds of anyone winning tonight is reading when the Daemon is in control vs Johnnie. I just hope there is still enough of Johnnie left in there to make a difference for all of us.

Its almost an after thought seeing the Daemon's cards. Its a mockery, a copy of my hand.

Another test...

"Well played. I see you can only copy another's good fortune though. Again my congratulations..."

A copy is never as good as the original.

Would love to pass some information over the micro bead, but there are just to many eyes on me to do it safely.


The Slaughter Barn
Round #2
Battlemap

Pushing his shoulder against the plas-tube door of the stall, Vincent strains to muscle it closed and open a pathway around the shambling undead. Shoulder braced against the door, Vincent brings up his las-pistol and squeezes off another shot.

Vincent takes a half-action attempting to reach C4 and close the stall door. Vincent then makes a standard attack with his laspistol.

Strength = 27

Ballistic Skill + Point Blank Range = 36 + 30 = 66

Rolls:
1d100=15, 1d100=57
1d10=4

4,401 to 4,450 of 4,884 << first < prev | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dark Heresy: The Oremor Affliction IC All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.