Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Dark Heresy: The Oremor Affliction IC

Game Master Rookseye

On the agri-world of Oremor, at the very fringes of the Malfian sub-sector, acolytes of the Inquisition and their allies must confront a sinister conspiracy that threatens to shake the very foundations of the Calixis sector.


3,751 to 3,800 of 4,884 << first < prev | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | next > last >>

The Gran Pallazzar, the Nine-Hundred Ninety-Nine steps

Savalos Thul wrote:
Will try both.

Common Lore (Underworld) test successful by three degrees, Security skill test, straight success.

The ganger assesses the situation with shrewd eyes long practiced at such things, a talent honed watching the routines of the canny vendors selling churraptus-on-a-stick in the Underhive so that he could slip under their vigilant guard to purloin a rare treat.

Thul has gotten practice since then as well, most recently Uphive outside of the Astropathic Choir. These hired guns are not the Oremor 1st, however.

It soon becomes obvious that many of the Gran Pallazzar's doormen are incompetent, only cursorily sweeping their hands across the multitude of patrons actually searched. Others, upon discovering concealed weapons, do not immediately accost the object of their attentions, instead casually drawing one finger across the side of their noses and surreptitiously holding forth a hand that is soon filled with gelt. The guests are then allowed entry, weapon or no.

How do you intend to enter?


Male Human Outlaw

I study the guards carefully. I figure a couple of us will get through, but not all with the pat down. We can play up our cover story being from Malfi, but a bribe needs to be paid for keeping "our" security equiped...

"How deep is your wallet Uriah?"


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

"I have 14 thrones left, Savalos."


Male Human Outlaw

"That won't even buy a drink in this place. If you want us armed then someone is going to have to cough up some serious throne. Guaranteed one of us is going to get patted down. Unless you want to be the decoy while we walk past?"


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

"I will allow you to hold my laspistols, but I will not give up my mercy blade. Also, would you have to hold my swords?"


V-Block ~ The Oubliette, Septcell #7

The steady grinding of stone on stone draws the massive stone plug further and further upward, revealing the threaded walls of the cylindrical shaft above the prisoner's heads. Vincent feels his ears pop with the drastic pressure change and watches as wan amber light begins to shine through from a thin, circular seam above that only grows wider as the plug is lifted away and out into some larger space. Their tension grows as the grinding sound gives way to noises from without; the labored, clanking groans of a massive lift or crane, the ratcheting of great chains being slid through flywheels and cranks.

Ryuk, shielding wide eyes stares into the narrow amber circle some ten meters above, fascinated and overawed by this unexpected development. Vincent looks at him and sees a man showing the reverence a pilgrim would give to Saint Drusus' bones, or seeing the gilded spires of the Cathedral of Illumination of Hive Tarsus for the first time.

Wiping away some of slivers of basalt grit from his face, the power sabre still clutched in one hand, Vincent tries to follow the clone's gaze, wincing as he looks up into the light.

A shadow passes through the amber glow, the silhouetted edges of a robed person's outline breaking up the disk of weak light as it looks down into the septcell. With deliberate movement of one hand, the figure activates a blindingly bright ultraviolet glowglobe and shines it into the shaft, to better see what may be at the bottom. For a moment, Vincent is unable to see clearly, his vision blurring from the glare. When he regains his sight he finds himself staring at a familiar face.

The rust-red hood does little to conceal the young tech-priest's smirking face, or the dangling topknot of hair that falls from one shoulder into the shaft. His single ocular augmetic whirs softly to focus on you, and he lets out a relieved, reverb-filled laugh through his throat-mounted vox-grill.

You are reminded of the words he spoke to you little more than a week ago:

"Only one of them remains, in V-Block, with the Prisoner. The others...they didn't last."

It is Launce.


The Gran Pallazzar, the Nine-Hundred Ninety-Nine steps

Sgt. Einhardt shakes his head ruefully, passing his heavy purse to Savalos. Looking inside the acolyte can see there is well over a hundred gelt inside.

"Do you mean to tell me that the Emperor's Holy Ordos could not see fit to provide its servants with enough hard gelt to pay off a casino doorman? Here. Take it. Just save me enough that I can gamble and win back the salary you're so gratefully requisitioning from me."


Male Human Outlaw

I laugh "We get paid? Uriah think we need to have a conversation about reimbursement."

"Anyway keep close gents."

I take 50 Throne out and put in a different pocket. Got to leave room to barter if one of the guards has a discerning eye.

"Lets go"

I just hope most, or all of us get through without incident. I try to time the crowd so we can get past without the pat down. Hoping to play upon there inexperience, but then there is always dumb luck.


The Gran Pallazzar, the Nine-Hundred Ninety-Nine steps

Einhardt only arches an eyebrow at Savalos' jape, but otherwise says nothing. As the small group moves toward the press of bodies waiting to enter the casino, he remembers his voice, and looks toward the portly clerk accompanying Uriah. When he speaks the sarcasm positively drips from the hard-boiled veteran's voice.

"Jerimus Bothle, what a coincidence finding you here! Tell me, Jerry, just how is your boss doing these days? Old Vince still treating you right? What's that? No? By your custard-colored pallor and the sweat and blood staining your coverall I'd say our mutual friend has shown you your share of monsters, also. Doesn't matter that we didn't sign up for this. Vince was always content to treat us like fungoids: keep us in the dark and keep shoveling...well you know what he was shoveling on us, don't you? All while demanding our utmost loyalty and faith in the task at hand. I just had to pick up Commissar Ekubal on a little sortie to Oremor Hive. Easy, right?"

He slows as the rest of the party reaches the end of one of the snaking queues. Jerimus Bothle avoids eye contact with the much larger guardsman, sulkily looking away with each barb, trying very hard to contain a retort.

"So, is there a reason Vince didn't decide to join us himself, or does he just prefer to keep making everyone else do his dirty work?"

One of the liveried guards waves the party in front of Savalos forward, and the ganger palms the gelt in his hand, knowing that they are next. Fortunately none of them carry anything larger than the hand flamer that the acolyte has secreted in vest holster beneath his furs, having left their more obvious weaponry with Dunkan's retainers.

As the guards very deliberately go over the identifications of the three Administratum overseers ahead of them that decided to drop their hard earned bribes at the casino this week, Bothle turns to Einhardt and caustically replies.

"Idiot. The whole fecking claustrum's overrun. Vincent saved me and he probably saved your arrogant ass by sending you when he did. If you think what you saw here was something to be afraid of, let me tell you, you've really been missing out."

I'll allow a chance for Savalos or Uriah to interact with the NPC's for a moment if they'd like prior to dealing with the security at the door. Either way Sav, if you're doing the talking when you get to the front of the line, please make a Charm test and RP what you plan on saying to them.


Ahmazzi wrote:
V-Block ~ The Oubliette, Septcell #7

"Launce?"


Male Human Outlaw

"Best you gents save this for someplace more discreet."

I move slightly ahead of our group hoping to be a buffer between the Gran Pallazar security.

Always been told you get further in life being nice than not. I put on a warm smile and hope civility and not thrones will get us through.

More than once I have seen a kind word wave someone through, while a noble with an attitude got stuck at a checkpoint for being an arse. Hope its the case today.

Charm Test (1d100=18)

Had to use a fatepoint, otherwise the whole hive would have been called down on us.

"Evening Gents. Lady Luck smiling at the tables tonight?"

They also don't like people holding up lines as it makes everyone behind more disagreeable. So keeping my fingers crossed for speed.

Also would I be able to sneak in my scerrido as well, or only the hand flamer?


V-Block ~ The Oubliette, Septcell #7

By way of answer, the figure above hurls a length of wire conduit into the shaft, and Vincent needs step back a few quick paces to avoid being struck by it. The clerk cannot help himself when he sees Ryuk's expression of stupefied awe upon seeing what amounts to a hastily knotted extension cord dramatically interpose itself into his cloistered world, he laughs, and feels better for it.

The buzz of Launce's vox sounds from above again:

Vincent Sepheris wrote:
"Launce?"

"You were expecting someone else, Senior Clerk Sepheris? I'd greatly enjoy engaging in some friendly banter, but as you may already suspect, we have very little time to spare if this escape is to be successful."

He peers down into the shaft, his auburn topknot dangling parallel to the conduit.

"I trust you can convince him that the day of his deliverance has arrived?"


Savalos Thul wrote:
"Best you gents save this for someplace more discreet."

Sgt. Einhardt lowers his head, shamefacedly, whether from Bothle's retort or your chiding, you cannot say. Either way they stop their sniping as you make your way toward the doormen.

Charm test is successful, rolling opposed Scrutiny test to determine if they sense something amiss, 1d100 ⇒ 95, failed. Your roll against their starting Disposition of Indifferent (Challenging [+0]) results in three degrees of success, factoring in Peer (Underworld) modifies their Disposition to 'Infatuated'.

Savalos Thul wrote:
"Evening Gents. Lady Luck smiling at the tables tonight?"

Without looking, the older of the pair of door guards holds out his hand for the fanned handful of identicards that Savalos presents for he and his companions. Skimming them is a desultory fashion, still ignoring them, he doesn't even deign to look up until the younger doorman elbows the older in the side, smiling a crooked-toothed grin that suggest he is in on a joke Savalos isn't aware of.

"Look, Titus, take a gander at what he's wearing. Furs, neh? Heh, heh. Bloke doesn't know what he's getting himself inta, do he?"

The world-weary older guard pushes his wire-rimmed oculars up higher on his nose and takes in the group before him for the first time. He gives a withering glance to his companion, still guffawing, and sighs deeply, wrinkling his nose, puffing out his chest, and deciding to act as gracious ambassador to the know-nothing Malfians before him.

"Everything appears in order. However, I'd advise against the furs, friend. Not that such ostentation isn't welcome, even expected her at the Pallazzar, but since you are a little less versed on the customs here in Vaxus, I'll clue you in to the fact that what you're wearing will pretty much be your death warrant. You see, once upon a time, there were two hive gangs in our little slice of heaven, and they had a war, see? Well, the nom de guerre of the losing side were the Duct Wolves, and they liked to dress like fuzzy canids. Now that they're all dead or scavving in the sumps, the winners in that little showdown would not take kindly to someone waltzing into a place they frequent dressed like biggest pup on the block. Do you take my meaning?"

The younger door guard looks positively devastated that his more straitlaced companion decided to 'clue' Savalos in on his little joke, perhaps looking forward to the inevitable bloodshed that would occur when this oblivious Malfian bodyguard stumbled upon his first Yellobouros in the casino.

Savalos Thul wrote:
Also would I be able to sneak in my scerrido as well, or only the hand flamer?

Any non-Basic weapon, including Uriah's swords can be brought in easily. They are not worrying about melee weapons at all, as many of the wealthy gentry of Oremor Hive favor keeping such a weapon on their person for decorative or dueling purposes. With the quality of your roll, they don't even bother to search you.


Male Human Outlaw

I nod my thanks to the older guard. As much as it pains me I take off my furs and tuck them under my arm. To do otherwise would put the whole group at risk. My furs and fangs will show soon enough.

Only one person inside that could blow my cover. The green haired smile girl Srina. She risked everything talking to me in the Gearbox. Told me the best way to find Leprade. Her friend Mollene, room #337.

I move forward to lead the group to what awaits inside.


Ahmazzi wrote:

V-Block ~ The Oubliette, Septcell #7

"I trust you can convince him that the day of his deliverance has arrived?"

"Are you the gatekeeper?" Ryuk asks of this Launce.


Ahmazzi wrote:

V-Block ~ The Oubliette, Septcell #7

By way of answer, the figure above hurls a length of wire conduit into the shaft, and Vincent needs step back a few quick paces to avoid being struck by it. The clerk cannot help himself when he sees Ryuk's expression of stupefied awe upon seeing what amounts to a hastily knotted extension cord dramatically interpose itself into his cloistered world, he laughs, and feels better for it.

The buzz of Launce's vox sounds from above again:

"You were expecting someone else, Senior Clerk Sepheris? I'd greatly enjoy engaging in some friendly banter, but as you may already suspect, we have very little time to spare if this escape is to be successful."

He peers down into the shaft, his auburn topknot dangling parallel to the conduit.

"I trust you can convince him that the day of his deliverance has arrived?"

"He is a friend Ryuk, go quickly."

As they ascend, Vincent addresses Launce:

"I told you to go, you should not be risking yourself in this manner."


V-Block ~ The Oubliette, Septcell #7

Vincent Sepheris wrote:
"I told you to go, you should not be risking yourself in this manner."

Lifting Vincent from the mouth of the septcell's shaft with an arm that is far stronger than his lanky frame would suggest, the young tech-priest favors the senior clerk again with a curious grin that makes Vincent vaguely ill-at-ease.

Scrutiny test please, Vincent.

He looks much the same as when you last saw him several days ago, but he regards you rather quizzically, as if struggling to recall your conversation prior to parting ways.

"Ah, yes, you did."

Reaching into the shaft again, you assist him in pulling Ryuk up from within, and he then collects the re-purposed power cable, tossing it to one side when he is done.

"I'm certain that your vexation is ameliorated somewhat by the fact that if I had not returned, you would still be pondering your plight in one of the Inquisition's inescapable cells."

"Fear not, as promised, your friend Bothle is safely in the hands of your allies in Orcut hive."

He glances at Ryuk, a pensive look that speaks volumes to Launce's knowledge about just who and what the clone is.


Ahmazzi wrote:
V-Block ~ The Oubliette, Septcell #7

Scrutiny 22: 1d100=17

Vincent ponders for a moment, then replies.

"I am grateful, the interlude was not originally part of my plans."


V-Block ~ The Oubliette, Septcell #7

Scrutiny test is successful.

Vincent ponders the tech-priest's peculiar expression, gathering everything he can from the difficult to read nuances of the disciple of the Mechanicus. Fortunately, between Lex Mechanic Gulvar and the Logis, he has considerable recent experience divining the intent of such inscrutable individuals. Stiil, it takes him a few moment to put into context the reaction Launce shows.

Bizarrely, it is almost as if the tech-priest did not recognize him at first.

The part of Vincent's rational mind that wishes to proclaim, reasonably enough, 'but surely such a thing is impossible', is silenced by his unwillingness to accept anything about his present circumstances as being outside the realm of what is and isn't possible.

Launce seems to sense the senior clerk's attentions, and looks away.

Vincent Sepheris wrote:


"I am grateful, the interlude was not originally part of my plans."

"Understandably so, but I'm sure I need not tell one so learned as yourself what is said about the best laid plans."

The unlikely trio turn in place, surveying the vast, hemispherical vault that contains Ryuk's former world like a shadowy womb. He and Vincent stand with the new stranger atop the curving, egg-shaped top of one of seven identical cysts of jet-black basalt forming an interconnected, circumscribing ring around another, much larger, dome-like structure in their center. Each individual septcell is graven over its entire surface area with thousands and thousands of lines of Ecclesiarchical scripture, elaborate, barnacle-like growths of cogitator sensoria of baffling complexity, and intricate matrices of silvered hexagramatic wards. All save the one they stand upon remain sealed, the knobby protuberances of their massive plugs keeping whatever secrets are hidden within contained like the stoppered, stasis-sealed amphorae legend says holds the sacred blood of the Emperor on Holy Terra.

Erupting like a great, mechanical spider from the curving roof above is an array of dozens of servo arms, mechadendrites, and even a titanic central crane arm, presently affixed to a screw-like plug of stone that has been lifted from their former prison. Countless picters, sonic receptors, motion sensoria, and other inscrutably complex devices are attached to these spidery armatures, all terminating in a central data loom of thousands of cogitators, each glowing with the same, tell-tale, blood-red failure rune. Faintly, from somewhere very far away, comes the ghostly wail of a grating warning klaxon, barely audible in the tomb-like confines. Even these utilitarian devices are marked with the creed of the Ministorum, their silvered surfaces would even be resplendent and bright in the gloom were it not for the flickering crimson glow of their failure. A small, circular observation deck, itself sealed in thrice-blessed diamantine glass sits thirty meters above, a panopticon looking down from the the unseen heavens of Ryuk's universe, or, by Vincent's perspective, in the deepest hells in the darkest depths of the claustrum above.

Looking toward the center of the Oubliette, Ryuk can see a gaping black fissure in the cracked surface of the central dome. The darkness within is unsettling, looking almost viscid and tarry when viewed with the naked eye. Like the endless ebon night at the pit of some mythical monster's stomach. Even at this distance, each of the men can smell the overpowering stench of corruption wafting upward from within, like the foul humors rising from a broken, rotten egg. What Vincent at first mistakes for some manner of whitish scoring along the edged of the huge crack soon resolve into thousands of tiny, capped fungoids to his squinting eyes. Other, larger, fibrously tumescent growths erupt like waving fronds from within, the bulbous and abominable fruiting bodies growing upon them nauseating all senses at once, so that to even look at them one must regard it only at the periphery of their vision. The wards and countermeasures, psy-dampers and stasis-field generators on the septcells are as nothing compared to what girds the Prisoner's cell.

Vincent has never wanted to be away from any place so much in his entire life.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Luminous Antechamber

All of you cannot help but marvel at the gleaming ostentation that is the Luminous Antechamber. Neither of the denizens of Oremor; Savalos or Einhardt, has ever personally set foot within, but they have heard much about it from the awe-struck stories of others. No matter how vivid the descriptions of these fortunate souls, however, nothing does the real thing justice. The chamber is a great, vaulted mall of vast proportions that stretches as far as the eye can see, comprised of a labyrinthine series of ramping slopes that ascend and descend through the open space to variously sized viewing balconies and galleries displaying all manner of artistic marvels from across the uncounted worlds comprising the Imperium of Man, all culled on one central thematic theme: the emission of light in all its visible wavelengths and colors.

Walking amidst the throng of excited thrill-seekers and degenerate gamblers as they diverge and converge along the pathways, the companions are assaulted by a dizzying array of luminous exhibits; an elaborate orrery of mag-lev suspended lunar rock from outer worlds of the Hazeroth Abyss that gleams with an eye-wateringly bright cerulean hue, a series of towering crystalline pillars carved with the codified laws of some obscure planetary system in the Segmentum Solar, a massive riven skull of shining gold light, graven and stern, rendered almost physically real through a complex array of low frequency las light emitters. All of this and so much more that it would take days of walking to examine it all. Glow-globes of countless, variable hues, float aloft, dancing and whirling about the displays in a kaleidoscope of rampant color. Elegant servitors in the distinctive livery of the Gran Pallazzar move gracefully about, offering expensive liqueurs and tantalizingly aromatic victuals for the sampling of the guests from gleaming, reflective trays of every precious metal imaginable. It is wealth and splendor and excess to every sense, and it all serves as simply an appetizer to the many diversions waiting within the resort proper.

Savalos, Uriah, please attempt an Ordinary [+10] Awareness test.


The Grey Way, The Vermillion Ring, Hypogeum Sub Level B, Cogitator Hub Cross-Conduit Terminus #117

Utterly divorced from all of the excess, Kaltos and Ivaanov watch silently from the bowels of the hypogeum as their companions enter the Luminous Antechamber, feeding commands through their electro graft linkages to pan a surveillance picter this way or that way, or re-route an auditory sensor's signal to their attention. They shadow their allies with their deft technomancy as the quartet crosses the solid-diamond Scintillating Span, a marvel unearthed from the deepest abyss of Fathomsound Mine on the world of Sepheris Secundus, while on their way toward the wing of the casino that houses the luxury suites.

Kaltos may also make an Awareness test, given the wealth of surveillance equipment at his disposal, the test is Easy [+30] for him.


Male Human Outlaw

Awareness Test (1d100=19)

Looking at all the abundent luxery, and decadance turns my stomach. While awe inspiring like the Astropathic Choir. It is for all the wrong reasons. I don't know if its all the colors sparking around me on giant ballroom globes above my head that remind me of the colors that danced around the Eviserator as he chased me and Aebena on the stairwell. Or if its the concentration of greed and false hope that this place represents while so many others starve and scrap together what they can to eek out an existance in the countless alleyways of the Underhive. I can see why the Daemon chose this place. It can thrive here.

I can see why so many are wary of me since I returned from the Auldmaw's lair. I'm not the same man I use to be.

I take my time scanning the ballroom. I look for exits, eyes watching for us, security camera's. Even a glimpse of that snake Trizo, and his witch. But I am not here for them. Though I wouldn't mind a scerrido between his ribs. I am here for Leprade. But first I have to find Mollene, and possibly Srina.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

Awareness(50+10) = 1d100 ⇒ 50 1 degree of success


Ahmazzi wrote:

The Grey Way, The Vermillion Ring, Hypogeum Sub Level B, Cogitator Hub Cross-Conduit Terminus #117

Kaltos may also make an Awareness test, given the wealth of surveillance equipment at his disposal, the test is Easy [+30] for him.

Awarness per 38/2+30=47 1d100 ⇒ 86

I peer through the monitors with both the physical and minds eye that the linkage looking for any other issues that might come up.


"The Prisoner is no longer within," Ryuk declares.

Ryuk looks for some sliver of warded metal that he can take with him, a shiv.

Search 1d100 ⇒ 41


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Luminous Antechamber

Savalos and Uriah both succeed on their Awareness tests, Kaltos does not.

Unbeknownst to the tech-priest, who keeps the majority of his attention focused on the picter of what lies ahead of his companions, they have picked up a tail. Savalos notices them first, followed by Uriah a short time later. Two well-dressed men, both with fit, athletic builds and functional dress clothing shadow their party from behind. Using the reflective surface of a nearby display of sun-prayer mirrors from the desert world of Barapsine, the ganger makes them in an eyeblink: the unremarkable gray suits, the opaque glare shades, and finally the bulges on the left breast (pistol) and right thigh (shock maul) can only mean they are undercover Arbites.

They keep a respectable distance but there is no question that they are following you.

What would you like to do?


The Oubliette

No skill test needed, Ryuk, the damage around the fissure in the central cell is significant and an improvised weapon is easy enough to find.

The clone tentatively moves toward the gaping fissure, immediately drawing the concerned attention of both of his new companions, but Ryuk stops well short of the great rent, sniffing the foul air with nose-wrinkling distaste as a roiling wave of nausea originates from the pit of his stomach. He pulls, then savagely wrenches free a long strip of jagged silver inlay from the curving surface of the domed cell. The pristine argent shaft is nothing when compared to the Sliver of Calyx, but its tip and edge are wickedly sharp and will serve for now.

The silver shaft will serve as a sword with the Unbalanced and Sanctified qualities.

Launce looks back at Vincent nervously.

"Will he follow your lead?"


Male Human Outlaw

Low over the microbead.

"Everyone keep there cool, and follow my lead. We got a tail."

Have to keep in mind the fact we don't know if they are Leprades men, or the few who are helping us. Friends of Johnnies, or Sunshines... Considering no one has ever made us, and my appearance has changed considerably with my long facial scar, and new attire. I am leaning toward the fact that its someone who knows us who gave them our description.

If its Leprades boys I expect we will see other teams moving in. They can't afford an incident here. Either way we will find out soon enough.

I look for a path to navagate the group through the crowds that will hinder our shadows. Rather approach them on my terms than theres.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

Softly back,<< "I saw them.">>


Ahmazzi wrote:

The Oubliette

Launce looks back at Vincent nervously.

"Will he follow your lead?"

"Stop talking as if I am not here," Ryuk barks irritably, "I can hear you clear enough. And to answer your question, Launce, I do not have any other place to go to, so why not follow you all in this merry adventure."

Ryuk then stopped talking, his right fist closed around the blunt end of his make-shift weapon.

Where did that irritability come from? Ryuk muses. I wonder....


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Luminous Antechamber

Uriah acknowledges the tail by his whispered reply without betraying anything through his body language, a response so deeply ingrained from his Inquisitorial training that it is almost instinctual. Einhardt never breaks stride either, and Savalos leads the companions, along with the oblivious Bothle, through a teeming throng of patrons making their way for the nearest lift-tower to one of the casino's lux-suite hab-stacks.

The press of bodies allows each of you to make a Concealment test opposed by your pursuer's Awareness to disappear into the crowd.

Sgt. Einhardt, Concealment roll = 1d100 ⇒ 56.

Jerimus Bothle, Concealment roll = 1d100 ⇒ 79.


Male Human Outlaw

Concealment Test (1d100=24)


The Oubliette

Shaking off the momentary bout of irascibility, Ryuk carefully retreats down the steep slope of the huge dome, back toward the ringing nodules of the septcells where the others await.

"My apologies, Ryuk. My intent was not to leave you out of the conversation. You'll forgive me, I underestimated how quickly you would become acclimated to your new circumstances."

Looking back and forth between Vincent and Ryuk, Launce seems to consider his next step carefully. He glances upward, past the massive crane still clutching the corkscrew capstone of Ryuk's septcell and the observation deck high above surrounded by the countless, dormant mechadendrites. Some manner of antigrav service sled rests about twenty paces away, undoubtedly the conveyance used by the tech priest to reach the bottom of the Oubliette. It is obvious he is eager to be gone from this place.

"If there is nothing more keeping us here, I would advise we leave posthaste. I cannot be certain there is anyone left in the bowels of V-Block anymore, or the claustrum itself for that matter...well, anyone living, that is...but these alarms will surely draw the worst sort of attention sooner than later, so we'd best depart."

He regards Ryuk, warily.

"Yes...adventure, not the word I myself would use, but applicable to our present situation nonetheless."

He turns back to Vincent.

"Are you ready, Senior Clerk Sepheris?"


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

Concealment(18) = 1d100 ⇒ 4.
I made it by 14.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, The Luminous Antechamber

Rolling opposed Awareness test for the pursuers, 1d100 ⇒ 61, fortunately for the acolytes, their tail had no idea Bothle was part of their group, success on 3 of 4 rolls.

Caught in the slowly moving throng of variegated humanity: elated and desultory, intoxicated and sober, festive and restive, the companions manage to elude their tail by filtering into the nearest lux-suite's lift-lobby, a chaotic collection of casino patrons, liveried servitor-valets, floating servo-skulls, and Gran Pallazzar security. A quick look back shows the suspected Arbites are nowhere to be seen, perhaps diverted into the neighboring lift-lobby by the swell of people.

Looking around to get his bearings, Savalos stops dead in his tracks, noticing for the first time a young woman staring at him from an alcove nearby. She is tall, slender, and beautiful, with an athletic physique both modestly concealed and coyly hinted at by a half-gown, half bodice ensemble of translucent-gray Fulcusian silk. Ornate jewelry adorns her ears, nose, and neck; all gold with jet black gemstones. She wears the exotic eye-kohl and powdered cosmetics of a courtesan or smile girl, and daintily puffs at a brass-trimmed hookah placed on a pedestal table where she stands, a casino courtesy to the matriculating guests. Her features are jaded and vampish, her lips thin and pursed in deep thought or apprehension. There is no question when she sets eyes upon Savalos that she recognizes him.


Male Human Outlaw

While I am glad that we gave the Arbites the slip. They are at least a known variable.

Seeing the young womans eyes match mine gazing down from above. It gives me pause as I know she knows who I am. Only three women should know who I am here. Two I know by face. The third who I know by description; the one I am here for. I run through my mind if she matches up with what Srina told me about Mollene.

As we study each other from across the ballroom. I leave the next move up to her. She will either invite me forward with a subtle gesture, or withdraw into the alcove. Its up to her.

Either way the game has changed.


Ahmazzi wrote:
The Oubliette

"Yes, I have spend far more time in this place than I ever cared to."


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, Lux-Suite Tower #3 Lift Lobby

The apathetically effete courtesan holds Savalos' gaze with her own half-lidded eyes for just a moment longer than is politic, but seems to be trying to look through him as much as at him. Her eyes flick with feigned disinterest between the ganger and Uriah once, sending a clear message without betraying her intent to anyone else who may be watching. Without any other sign she recognizes your presence whatsoever, she replaces the hookah stem and sets a small, rectangular, card-like object on the small table in the niche before sashaying away toward the lifts.

She steps into the elegantly gilded cage with the other patrons and the doors close behind her.

Savalos, based on Srina's description of Mollene, you are fairly certain this is her.

Sav, please attempt a Routine [+20] Logic test.

Am I still correct in assuming you haven't mentioned this particular lead to Uriah or the others yet?


Male Human Outlaw

Correct. I haven't told anyone yet. Figure keeping the knowledge to myself is the best way to keep her safe until we can get her to safety.

Logic Test (1d100=2)

Seeing her casually stash the card. Her eyes gaze into me, and through me. I can tell she is weighing my soul to see if its worthy enough to protect hers. Its also letting me know that another set of eyes is watching her from afar.

Over the microbead: "I am going to head up to higher ground for a better look."

I am going to take a round about way to get to her table. As one who is admiring the sites, and then palm the card. Will read it when I feel certain whatever eyes were on Mollene are not watching me.

"Stay in the crowd for cover. Let me know if you see anyone taking interest in me."


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

<<"I will watch.">>


The Oubliette

As Launce leads the way toward the distant service sled, Vincent follows the tech-priest down the gradual slope of the dome, his mind still turning over the curious void that the entire Oubliette represents in his mental schematic of the claustrum. The place is extraordinarily vast; a massive coelum in the bowels of the claustrum, a mysterious cavity encysting the terrible evil that was once imprisoned here. Looking upward at the red-lit panopticon's superstructure high above, he recalls the Inquisition's other contribution to the claustrum's hidden architecture, the long diagonal access shaft connecting to the panopticon level above with its ultimate exit on the surface.

Well behind the others, Ryuk strides away from the rusted rent in the huge central dome, one fist clenching the razor-edged bar of silver, pointedly trying to ignore the dull ache in his hand. He is only a few paces away from where he wrenched the make-shift weapon free when he hears a faint sound burbling up from deep within the jagged fissure.

Ryuk, please attempt a Challenging [+0] Awareness test.


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, Lux-Suite Tower #3 Lift Lobby

As Savalos casually crosses the crowded lift-lobby, making sure to take a circuitous path to the small refreshment table, Uriah and Sgt. Einhardt watch the milling patrons, all the while attempting to divine if anyone else amid the throng has their attentions focused on their party.

Sav, Logic test is successful.

Savalos considers Mollene's recognition for a moment, wondering as he crosses the congested lobby how she knew who he was. Was it possible Srina had made contact with her and mentioned his inquiry?

Stopping next to the elegant pedestal with its geometrically decorated mother-of-pearl inlaid surface...almost, like interlocking sevens and nines, nines and sevens...he dismisses the disturbing thoughts percolating in his mind and deftly palms the card. The heady scent of the smoldering hookah, like sandalwood and some pungent spice, makes him feel dizzy for a moment as he steps away. He is halfway back to the others before he dares to look at the slender slip of flexible plas.

It is a card-access key to a suite in this tower of the Gran Pallazzar, #799. If his memory serves him correctly, Leprade's room, where Mollene was sequestered was #337. Perhaps another room for secrecy, then? Could Leprade be here, even now?

Uriah, please attempt a Hard [-20] Awareness test.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

Awareness(50-20) = 1d100 ⇒ 53
failed by 23


The Gran Pallazzar Casino, Lux-Suite Tower #3 Lift Lobby

Test failed.

Neither Uriah, nor Einhardt can detect any untoward attention on their group while surveying the crowded room, as there are simply too many people milling about to observe all of them closely.

From above the picters pivot and whir.

Provided you make Kaltos aware of what you are looking for, Uriah, he can also make a test, sweeping the surveillance picters through the lobby.

Kaltos, this would be a Difficult [-10] Awareness test for you.


Male Human Outlaw

Seeing the symbolism of the table, and the access card she left for me, put me on edge. More so than normal. You can't spell out that she, and the rest of us are in mortal danger any more plainly. Sevens and Nines, Nines and Sevens. Srina may have told her about me, but I have changed quiet a bit since I saw her. The facial scar, different clothes, furs. Even at this distance she would have to know me intimiately to pick me out of a crowd this thick. Mollene is no smile girl. Even the image of her entering the lift as a gilded cage has its significence.

Low over the microbead. "The whole place is a trap." Will need you gents to follow me to the lifts."

"Ivaanov if needed can you lock down the lifts? Also keep an eye out that your not being caged in as well."

I figure whoever has eyes on us won't spring the trap til after we meet with Mollene. That way they will have us all together.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

<<"Kaltos, watch out for anyone taking an interest in us, especially our furred friend.">>

<<"Of course it is a trap, we have suspected as much from the beginning.">>


The Grey Way, The Vermillion Ring, Hypogeum Sub Level B, Cogitator Hub Cross-Conduit Terminus #117

<<<Uriah, Kaltos is examining the live pict-feed and spooling back through the data-loom's archival footage to see if there is anything amiss about the woman prior to your arrival, or where she originated from. At present I cannot discern anyone in the lift-lobby that may have you under observation.>>>

<<<In answer to your query, Savalos, I believe with the proper admonishing rites spoken through the data-loom to the machine spirits of the lifts they may be forestalled, or at the very least compelled to be recalcitrant when responding to commands. We are secure at present, but circumstantial evidence points to the high probability that another faction has infiltrated the Gran Pallazzar's surveillance system in addition to us. A servitor stumbled upon our intrusion, and the servo-skull accompanying it proved to be a servant of the Adeptus Astartes once it was disabled and examined.>>>


Male Human Outlaw
Uriah Trantor wrote:


<<"Of course it is a trap, we have suspected as much from the beginning.">>

I give Uriah a look that I am not amused. Turning back toward the lifts as a guest would when they realized they forgot something in there room.

Yeah its a trap, but alot worse than I think any of us our expecting...

Not until I enter the lift do I whisper in the microbead. "Scan the 7th."


All:
Just re-read Ivaanov's post above, needless to say that should have read, Adeptus Arbites, not Adeptus Astartes, but you guys already figured that one out. These are the perils of alternating posts between the two games late at night, heh.


Awareness (53) 1d100 ⇒ 97

Unless this is a case of the blindingly obvious, Ryuk does not notice anything out of the ordinary....

3,751 to 3,800 of 4,884 << first < prev | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dark Heresy: The Oremor Affliction IC All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.