Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Dark Heresy: The Oremor Affliction IC

Game Master Rookseye

On the agri-world of Oremor, at the very fringes of the Malfian sub-sector, acolytes of the Inquisition and their allies must confront a sinister conspiracy that threatens to shake the very foundations of the Calixis sector.


1 to 50 of 4,884 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

The moaning threnody of the immaterium reverberates against the hull of the Void Needle, voicing a plaintive counterpoint to the steady hiss and susurrus of the thousand year old air-scrubbers that vent from each corner of the ancient Chartist transport's cramped, shabbily-kept stateroom. Although the pulsing maelstrom of the Warp is invisible to your eyes, residing as it is behind lusterless faux-wood paneling and the centuries battered hull of the ship, it has been your constant companion for months now. It has been as omnipresent as the stale scent of the recirculated air, the dull and flickering overhead lighting, and the starchy aftertaste of the corpse ration provender offered aboard the spacecraft.

When, with a sudden stomach-churning lurch, it is suddenly absent, your ears almost feel violated by the now lonely laboring of the air-handler quartet. It has been months since you debarked from the classified site that served as your proving ground over the last two years. In spite of your collectively listless states from the interminable journey, that very training has honed you to a razor's edge when noticing details, even the most minute. It is too early. Far too early for you to be leaving the Warp. Your journey to Malfi should require another month of travel in the best of circumstances. This sense of unease is communicated on your fellow acolyte's visages as you scan the cramped quarters with a growing sense of trepidation.

After a few tense moments the sound of heavy footfalls drum upon the deck-plates in the corridor outside of the chamber, followed by the hollow banging of a meaty fist being struck against the state-room door. The reedy Fenksworld-accented voice of the overweight steward who has served you these many months calls from without:

"Ullo sirs! The Cap'n has sent me with a 'slate for ye. Important message passed to him just now from the 'paths theyselves. Cannot wait, he says. Most urgent, he says. His mood is poor, it is, wot with us dropping out so early from passage. Too early, if'n you ask me for Malfi docks. Curse this old rustbucket, but she does behave like a finicky old b#&$& from time ta time!"

The muted sound of an angry klaxon sounds from far off down the corridor outside, leading to more mumbling and grumbling from the harried old steward.

A small note: You have been traveling on the Void Needle for three months, seven days, and sixteen hours, incognito under the collective guise of a minor Malfian noble house's trade delegation and attached bodyguards. Will you let the steward in?


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

I will let the steward in. After all with our cover, how could we refuse.


m Hive world human firebrand cleric

I sing out in a ferverous religious chant:
"Holy Emperor be praised as the wind blows over these slow embers of our journey to fan the fires existing in the stillness of our souls. Let us go forth to grind down the Emperor's enemies and bring faith or fire to all. Cleanse the wicked abomination of mutation and purge the unholy skum of choas from the universe. Let not the alien nor the heretic impead the Emperor's holy name. Fire in our hearts to bring fire on their bodies and souls."
<I don my gear quickly and race to report>


Male Human Outlaw

I listen as the holy man goes on. Like he always does. Blah blah blah, Holy Emperor. Blah blah blah... Will someone get the door already?

I watch as the Headcase walks up to get the door. Blah blah the Emperor protects. Can anyone finish a sentence without having to involve the bleeding Emperor?

I wait seemly uncaring of the events around me. Hiding my curiousity to see what the dataslate holds. Wish my deck of cards wasn't confiscated. Need to get myself another deck.


Johnnie finds the news not unexpected considering the information he was able to obtain from his sources. He nods his acknowledgment. He remains silent. He continues to clean his firearms in anticipation of early deployment. He points his hand cannon in the direction of the steward rather nonchalantly, not caring if it scares the bugger or not.

"Hey, frakker, what's our destination this time?"


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

I will open the door and take the dataslate from him and say, "Thank you and thank the captain for me. I know this is an inconvenience for him." If he steps back, I will close the door and read the dataslate. After reading it, I will hand it to Rico without comment.


Male Efreeti, advanced manthing 45HD

Are you saying that blah blah blah holy emperor out loud?

Savalos Thul wrote:

I listen as the holy man goes on. Like he always does. Blah blah blah, Holy Emperor. Blah blah blah... Will someone get the door already?

I watch as the Headcase walks up to get the door. Blah blah the Emperor protects. Can anyone finish a sentence without having to involve the bleeding Emperor?

I wait seemly uncaring of the events around me. Hiding my curiousity to see what the dataslate holds. Wish my deck of cards wasn't confiscated. Need to get myself another deck.


Juan 'Johnnie' Rico wrote:

Johnnie finds the news not unexpected considering the information he was able to obtain from his sources. He nods his acknowledgment. He remains silent. He continues to clean his firearms in anticipation of early deployment. He points his hand cannon in the direction of the steward rather nonchalantly, not caring if it scares the bugger or not.

"Hey, frakker, what's our destination this time?"

Albrek smiles at Rico, putting the finishing touches to his strict weapons cleaning routine. "Go easy on the old man Johnnie. You know he gets nervous when you look at him normally. You'll end up givin' the guy a heart attack waving that piece in his direction."


The steward pauses at the opening of the hatch, peering in curiously. He quickly looks away when Juan's upraised weapon is centered on the gap in the doorway. Oddly, he seems untroubled by this, as he has become blase over the past month or so about the surly and overly security conscious bodyguards of this particular retinue. When Uriah steps forward, his eyes roll around melodramatically at the sounds of Ishmael's impromptu hymnal.

Passing the chipped and rust-edged data-slate through the gap, the steward nervously eyes Uriah, his unease evident in the way he keeps from touching the other man's hands in the exchange.

Listening to Uriah's buzzing vox, it takes him a moment to get a gist of what the psyker says, when he answers, he avoids eye contact.

"Yeh, the cap'n is indeed in a fit, but summon' must 'ave paid him a hold fulla gelt to come outta the warp early, 'cause he'd sooner kick out the Throne's crooked leg than delay a shipment."

Seeing Uriah's impassive reaction to this, he steps backward, eyes downcast and mutters.

"Read yer message, then. I'll wait outside the door til yer done then take you and yours down to the shuttle hanger. We came outta the void so fast, I'm not even sure where we is."

Uriah:
A quick glance at the slate shows that it has a still secure Benedum cipher like those used by your master, Inquisitor Ahmazzi. To your knowledge, only the captain of the Void Needle is aware of you and your companion's true identities.


Uriah types quickly into the face of the data-slate once the steward makes his exit, and reads in silence for a few moments, before passing it to the others.

The fingerprint smudged data-slate reads as follows:

Code Iota Identifax>>>Encrypted Data Follows>>>A3E44TK633L-#(L43)000#23401K...
+++Initiate Receipt of Astropathic Transmission+++

After reading, feel free to discuss for few moments amongst yourselves the significance of what the data-slate states. The steward awaits outside when you are ready.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

"Our master is activating us on Oremor. We have a mission to do and I do not think we should delay. Read the 'slate and let us follow the steward to the shuttle."


Male Human Outlaw

"Makes sense to send us. Some of us have a history here." I stand up doing a quick pat down to make sure I have all my weapons. No sense hiding who I am. Anyone from Oremor would be quick to recognize my ink, and my furs. Knowing I call the underhive my home. "Good to go" I wait for the others to get up and ready.


m Hive world human firebrand cleric

<rap on the door>
"Steward, present us thus to the captain, and be quick about it."

<to everyone else>
"let get a move on, you slackards, I am sure the Captain is a busy man for the likes of us."

"Uriah, are you taking control and securing that datafax? It should not fall to prying eyes of the heathen or unscrupulous enemies of the Imperium."


Johnnie casts a furtive glance in the direction of Ishmael. Why is he so pep up just now? Illegal use of drugs? I wonder....


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

"Should you read it first, so you know what is going on, Ishmael?"


Albrek stands, placing his weapons carefuly about his person. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a black and red striped bandanna. Tying it around his head, he nods toward the door. "Let us be off."
Then, to no one in particular, "This feels wrong; a guardsman is not meant to return home...it's just not the done thing..."


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

I say before the door opens, "It is what our master wants, I am sure he has his reasons. They will be made know to us when it is time."
Do we know how to erase the message so it is permantly unreadable?


m Hive world human firebrand cleric

<I thought it talked outloud, was thinking like a radio transmission; sorta Mission Impossible or Charlie's Angels ish, if not will read it>

Uriah Trantor wrote:
"Should you read it first, so you know what is going on, Ishmael?"


Uriah Trantor wrote:


Do we know how to erase the message so it is permantly unreadable?

The message could easily be erased once committed to memory with the knowledge of the encryption cipher that you possess.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

As soon as everyone has read it, I will ask, "Does everyone understand the orders?" If they all say yes, then I will erase it, and hand it back to the steward after we leave the room.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)
Albrek wrote:

"Let us be off."

Then, to no one in particular, "This feels wrong; a guardsman is not meant to return home...it's just not the done thing..."

"Remember, you are not just a guardsman, but also an Acolyte of the Inquistion. We might all be asked to do tasks that are not normal for us."


Male Human Outlaw

I listen to the Cleric bark orders like he is in charge. I give a knowing glance to Rico and Albrek. I say nothing. I wait to see if people start filing out the door.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

Before we leave, if any of us cannot read, I will read the 'slate for them. then I will do my other actions. (erase the dataslate, open the door, and hand the 'slate to the steward, and follow him to where we are going.)


After reading the data-slate passed from Uriah once, and then again to make certain that you comprehend its contents, the three Oremor natives cannot help but look to one another in stunned silence.

Ishmael ceases his hymnal long enough to almost casually peruse the message on the 'slate before handing it back to the psyker and resume his singing.

Uriah's buzzing vox response to Albrek has the additional effect of rousing both Savalos and Juan from their reveries as well, and the group begins to efficiently and wordlessly gather their equipment.

Stepping through the doorway to the stateroom, Uriah hands the wiped data-slate back to the pudgy steward, who slouches his shoulders in a lazy, if well-meaning semblance of a bow that only serves to unbalance the frayed epaulets on his shoulders. Seeing the grim looks on everyone's faces he paradoxically attempts polite conversation,

"I can see tha' no one of ye's too tickled to be makin' this stop, eh? Cap'n just called over the vox that we're nearin' Oremor of all places. Your noble-patron must have got hisself some kind of bargain on agri-produce or some narco-crop to call on the cap'n to pull the 'Needle outa warp like that. Well, chin up, you'll be spendin' your profits on Malfi soon enough, right then?"

Following the steward's lead, you continue to move down the gently curving corridor that runs parallel to the starboard side hull of the Void Needle. You occasionally pass a scruffy-looking crew member, a partially lit sign indicating the ship's aft-most locations, or a vox emitter hissing crackling static now that the klaxons have ceased.

The steward seems affable enough, and rather brave to be trying to lighten the mood given your dour expressions. Anyone trained in the Charm skill can make an Easy (+30) skill test to converse with him if you so choose.

Uriah:
Uriah, please try to make an Easy (+30) Navigation (Stellar) skill test

Savalos, Juan:
The steward is an obvious stimm addict.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

1d100=25
I made it by 20
I rolled by IC, but I was not sure how link it up


Uriah Trantor wrote:

1d100=25

I made it by 20
I rolled by IC, but I was not sure how link it up

Lorm, I posted a brief tutorial on the OOC thread, hope it helps.

Uriah feels the gentle, almost imperceptible change as the Void Needle fires its directional thrusters to better orient itself with the orbital docking ring circling Oremor.


m Hive world human firebrand cleric

<wary of a trap>
"Steward, is not the Captain at the bridge, it looks like we head toward the hangars? Explain yourself."


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

Did you not read the 'slate thoroughly, Ishmael? We are leaving the ship to get on a shuttle to land on Oremor. Why would we see the Captain, when he is busy planning the rerouting of the ship with his navigator.


Johnnie looks at the steward with disgust which he quickly covers up with a feigned fit of coughing. His right hand unconsciously moves towards the handle of his handcannon.


m Hive world human firebrand cleric

<thinking Uriah's not to bright>
Be patient Uriah, the slow flame burns long, I have no desire to see the captain, are you so knowledgable about this ship or this stewart as to really know where we are headed? Duplicity abounds, but now they know that I know what they know I know; therefore we dont really know what we know but then neither do they know what we know we know so we are all once again on equal footing.

now Steward; where did you say you were taking us?

<I know, of course, I just want to see if we get the same answer>


Male Human Outlaw

Watching as the Headcase talks with the Steward. I lag behind a bit so that I am next to Rico. When the Steward is not looking. I make a gesture of tapping my wrist with two fingers 3 times. Glancing toward the Steward, and smile.

I listen to the Cleric talk. It makes me wonder what the Imperium is filling these guys heads with. I hope I don't have to take this guy into the underhive. I don't feel like being fitted with a toe tag.


Ishmael- Firebrand Cleric wrote:


"Steward, is not the Captain at the bridge, it looks like we head toward the hangars? Explain yourself."

The steward pauses in his banter to regard the cleric with a look of incredulity that he rarely has the opportunity to express, especially to his perceived 'betters'.

"Eh, forgive me brother, but the landers' is that way, ye know, in the hanger. I may be a trifle addled then, but wudn't the point of the cap'n pulling out o' Warp to get ye planetside quick as a trick? I'm sure the cap'n is happy with the gelt, but he still is a might peeved to have to make this stop, I'm not sure ye would want to speak to 'im now, anyways."


The steward continues his uneven march to the hangar bay with you in tow, jabbering occasionally about this or that, while the corridor gradually widens as it nears a large, recessed, oval-shaped opening ahead. The pair of dented hydraulic doors to either side of the entry are smeared with grease and their separation leaves a gap about five feet wide. Beyond can be seen the dimly lit hangar bay and the shadowy, almost skeletal outlines of launch gantries. Diffuse orange light from the failing warning sign above the door provides weak illumination.

Everyone please make an Awareness skill test, unmodified


Male Human Outlaw

Awareness Check (1d100=1)


Savalos Thul wrote:
Awareness Check (1d100=1)

Surviving in the underhives of Orcut VII means always paying close attention, even to things that would otherwise seem insignificant. While trying to make sense of Ishmael's bizarre statement, Savalos manages to keep one ear attuned to the steward's prattling on about the ship's old ductwork, why the captain would never put into port in the Fydae Cluster, and what will be served in the mess this evening.

It is for this reason that he whips his head around to the doors from his unspoken communication to Juan when he hears what follows next:

"...finally 'ere then, I imagine the other guards in your little party will be glad we didn't lollygag overmuch..."

A familiar sensation, that of your stomach bottoming out in your boots, overtakes you. It is the sinking feeling you used to get while listening to a duct-wolf stealthily padding along on its three segmented legs in an adjacent companionway. Hunting.

Looking beyond the blissfully unaware steward, you see the pointed tip of a booted foot barely protruding from the edge the left door.

Your amazing roll yielded a significant success, Savalos. If you so choose you can warn the others about what is ahead moments before the steward crosses the threshold of the doorway. If this is the case, there is no need for the others to make their Awareness tests.


Male Human Outlaw
Ahmazzi wrote:
Savalos Thul wrote:
Awareness Check (1d100=1)

Surviving in the underhives of Orcut VII means always paying close attention, even to things that would otherwise seem insignificant. While trying to make sense of Ishmael's bizarre statement, Savalos manages to keep one ear attuned to the steward's prattling on about the ship's old ductwork, why the captain would never put into port in the Fydae Cluster, and what will be served in the mess this evening.

It is for this reason that he whips his head around to the doors from his unspoken communication to Juan when he hears what follows next:

"...finally 'ere then, I imagine the other guards in your little party will be glad we didn't lollygag overmuch..."

A familiar sensation, that of your stomach bottoming out in your boots, overtakes you. It is the sinking feeling you used to get while listening to a duct-wolf stealthily padding along on its three segmented legs in an adjacent companionway. Hunting.

Looking beyond the blissfully unaware steward, you see the pointed tip of a booted foot barely protruding from the edge the left door.

Your amazing roll yielded a significant success, Savalos. If you so choose you can warn the others about what is ahead moments before the steward crosses the threshold of the doorway. If this is the case, there is no need for the others to make their Awareness tests.

I will cough, clearing my throat while covering my mouth. But my stare will be straight ahead looking at the boots as we approach.


Awareness 1d100=50


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

Awareness=75
I failed horrably.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

Even though I failed the awareness test, I would be cautious. (see space hulk under craft of origin)If I feel that anything is off in any way, I would pull or summon my las pistol.


Johnnie notices Savalos' cue and his hand surreptitiously goes for his gun.


Having not heard from Albrek or Ishmael, and given Savalos' opportunity to warn everyone, they can forgo their Awareness checks.

Assuming everyone has noticed the warning, what will everyone do?


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

Does the steward know I am a psyker? I am not sure if he is unconfortable with me because I am a void-born or a psyker.


Uriah Trantor wrote:
Does the steward know I am a psyker? I am not sure if he is unconfortable with me because I am a void-born or a psyker.

He seems uncomfortable with you because you are obviously void-born. He does not seem to be aware that you are a psyker, but many that are superstitious believe that all void-born are touched by the warp, and are inherently tainted in this way.


Male Human Outlaw
Ahmazzi wrote:

Having not heard from Albrek or Ishmael, and given Savalos' opportunity to warn everyone, they can forgo their Awareness checks.

Assuming everyone has noticed the warning, what will everyone do?

I put my hands in my pockets as we walk. With my left hand I slide my brass knuckles on over my fingers. In my other hand I grip my autopistol. My thumb ready to flip off the safety. I don't expect danger. But it never hurts to be ready.

Ahmazzi

Spoiler:
I expect its our patron who is ahead of us in the Shuttle Bay. It would make sense that for our first mission together he would keep a special eye on everyone to gauge our abilities.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

I will have my hand on my pistol ready to draw it.


m Hive world human firebrand cleric

<uhm; am still trying to figure out how to post my roll, hmm>

am ready to draw my autopistol and cover or snap to attention as required

[*url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2278828/] "result=40"[*/url]

your example:
[*url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2275988/]Your text describing the result here, in this case, "Result = 50"[*/url]

Ahmazzi wrote:

Having not heard from Albrek or Ishmael, and given Savalos' opportunity to warn everyone, they can forgo their Awareness checks.

Assuming everyone has noticed the warning, what will everyone do?


Your training avails you well. Even the excitable Ishmael takes note of Savalos' subtle gesture that something is amiss in the opening to the landing bay ahead, and without the time to question his observation, you instead instinctively react.

It happens almost quicker than the eye can follow. Your hear the faintly audible scrape of boot-leather on the rust-spotted flooring and suddenly a pale-featured man, his shaved head a canvas of stubble and dripping perspiration, bursts out of the landing bay entry, raising a stockless naval-style shotgun at the waist. His eyes blaze with a fanatical ardor that looks beyond you as if he were staring into the Void itself.

With no hesitation, he pulls the trigger at the very moment that the steward turns his head around to you to offer the punchline of his most recent bawdy joke. The boom of the weapon is positively deafening in the close quarters of the Void Needle's access corridor. The poor steward's head disintegrates from atop his shoulders as if exploded from within, the proximity of the shotgun blast spraying a rain of gore, bone, and flesh in a spattering arc that rains across your clothing and faces as if tossed from a bucket. The jovial steward's smile disappears as if wiped from the face of creation itself, his final jest unfinished.

The man pumps the shotgun effortlessly, moving forward with no hesitation, the shell casing ejected into the air twinkling momentarily from the dull orange arc-sodium lighting before pinging loudly against the gangway. Two more men, similarly attired in flak vests and long, shabby, olive-colored greatcoats drop in behind him and advance down the corridor, firing in your direction with practiced, efficient ease. Their callous visages are almost as blank as servitors, focused on their killing to the exclusion of everything else.

Savalos' vigilance has saved everyone else from being surprised by the ambush. Please roll initiative (1d10 + Agility Bonus) and declare your actions. There is some cover available in the form of narrow, meter-wide metallic support pillars, braced into the corridor wall on either side, evenly spaced every three meters or so down the corridor. The three men are moving forward in a roughly triangular formation, about seven meters away from you with the shotgunner in the lead. They are exhibiting a confidence that they fully expect this to be an easy slaughter of surprised foes. Feel free to ask questions about the tactical situation if anything seems unclear.


Ishmael- Firebrand Cleric wrote:

<uhm; am still trying to figure out how to post my roll, hmm>

am ready to draw my autopistol and cover or snap to attention as required

[*url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2278828/] "result=40"[*/url]

Ishmael:

Val, see the post in the OOC thread, you merely have to drop the asterisks. They were only used for the example.


Male Human Savant Militant (Rank 4)

Initiative=11
Take cover for a half action(?),and then draw my weapon for a half action.

1 to 50 of 4,884 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dark Heresy: The Oremor Affliction IC All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.