Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Dain's Kingmaker Campaign: Provinces - Ariarh

Game Master dain120475


1 to 50 of 254 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

The following is the introduction for the Kingmaker: Province's Section for the character Ariarh Kane.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Dotting.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Delain Conversation
Kae wants to let Ariarh speak to Delain first, but introduces himself, "Delain, How are you? We wished to speak with you about the possibility of an alliance, and as the General here, I wished to speak with you about military implications of an arrangement, assistance that we can offer one another, etc...." Kae is genial, not making a request, simply introducing the topic of conversation and indicating that Kae wish is to enter into a mutually beneficial arrangement.

After the conversation with Delain, Kae will speak with Clari, then leave for the village.


HP: 47 AC: 14 Hexblade 5

After Kae talks to Delain:

Clari waits for Ka'etil to finish his conversation with Delain.
[spoiler=Conversation in the hall with Clari]
<Child, I know there are few from whom you should not demand respect and proper treatment, but the girl is a Dragon-whelp. You must behave yourself in the presence of such a creature... Even if she is a brat> her blade chides, in her mind.

When Kae exits the room, leaving Ariarh and Delain to themselves, he speaks to Clari, quietly. "I know that Anuk-su can be a trying child, but you cannot have another outburst like that. If you are to stay here, you must maintain control of yourself."

"And that coming from you, of all people, Malas'rae?" she spits at Kae.

Kae sighs, frowning, "I know, but I've changed, I'm not the boy you once knew. You need to do the same. I want... I want you to be welcome here, so you need to be able to make peace with the people here."

"If you recall i am hunting for your wretched fa-"

"Don't call him that. I want him dead as much as you, but i he has ally's within Belkenz, and as powerful as we know he is, we can do nothing against him as we are. Saravale is our best hope for vengeance, and we have the chance to do something truly good here. So again, I want you to be welcome here."

Her harsh expression fades slightly, and she is confused. She nods in ascent, "Alright Malas'rae." she turns away, as Ka'etil leaves. Both Malas'rae and Karavel are ordering me to placate the wretched child? Bah, fine. I will do as they say...


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

Delain Conversation

Kae wants to let Ariarh speak to Delain first, but introduces himself, "Delain, How are you? We wished to speak with you about the possibility of an alliance, and as the General here, I wished to speak with you about military implications of an arrangement, assistance that we can offer one another, etc...." Kae is genial, not making a request, simply introducing the topic of conversation and indicating that Kae wish is to enter into a mutually beneficial arrangement.

After the conversation with Delain, Kae will speak with Clari, then leave for the village.

Cool - good to see you Kae - though remember; you also have your own board now for your troops, guards, citizens - other folk. But for now - I assume you, Clari, and Ariarh have gone to meet with Delain.


Ariarh Kane wrote:
Dotting.

Ry - need to know your plan for Anuk-su while this occurs...


Male Human

You see a group of men standing in a loose formation around the palaside wall that they have constructed for their encampment.

They are wearing the same dark colors, the heavy brown leathers, and you can see that they are wearing the pistols and swords at their side, even as they look at you.

Recognizing you, they salute, and one of them rushes in the camp to get Delain, who comes out quickly.

His face is stern, and a hard edge to his jaw – yet his eyes lighten when he sees the group – specifically Ariarh.

”Ah – council members – greetings,” he says warmly.

”How can I help you?” he adds.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Ariarh asked Drake to summon Delain to the Fortress (which apparently he agreed to via a GM's posting), so why are we all at his encampment?


HP: 47 AC: 14 Hexblade 5

So Clari can go with Isani and Anuk-su while Ariarn is talking to Delian privately. Kae jsut wnats to talk about the military aspect of the Alliance, then Leave Ariarh to her ...Business as it were. I thought that Delain was coming to the council chambers, not that we were going to him...

To Anuk-su:

As Isani and Anuk-su Leave Ariarh to her business, and Kae goes off to do whatever things he is doing privately, Clati approaches the pair. "Anuk-su, I am aware that my outburst was inappropriate, and I apologize. I am unused to having things demanded of me in such a manner and was ..." She begins, speaking like a scolded child, her appearance betraying her relative youth. "Oh it doesn't matter. I was wrong, and I'm sorry," she says with a bit of a huff, crossing her arms, eager to have this deed done.

This is the first time Isani has seen Clari acting even remotely her age, being that she is the equivalent of a 16 year old, or so, in elf-years, and does look it when her face is no contorted into a snarl.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

She watches the apology with new sight. She would not interrupt and holds her stance by the dragon girl, Anuk-su. At 21 years of age, she was older than Clari, and possibly through her interaction with elderly and wise teachers and tutors has developed a different kind of maturity -- a more honed and practiced one.


Well - I guess the GM is very, very confused.

It's all good - you are free to talk to Delain - you and Kae are there. It's all good, just have an enormous amount of personal stress in my life right now, so I got confused. So - yeah - you are at the fortress now. Forget I posted anything about his men - he's just at the fortress and he is there now.

Everyone has left the room - except for Kae and Ariarh and Delain.

Anuk-su is with Isani - and Clari is somewhere nearby.


HP: 47 AC: 14 Hexblade 5
Isani Isu wrote:
She watches the apology with new sight. She would not interrupt and holds her stance by the dragon girl, Anuk-su. At 21 years of age, she was older than Clari, and possibly through her interaction with elderly and wise teachers and tutors has developed a different kind of maturity -- a more honed and practiced one.

Clari is actually quite a lot older than Isani, but being an elf, she is very long lived and won't really reach full adult-hood for a couple decades... and Clari is rather emotionally immature for her own personal reasons.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3
Clari Miali'ahel wrote:
Clari is actually quite a lot older than Isani, but being an elf, she is very long lived and won't really reach full adult-hood for a couple decades... and Clari is rather emotionally immature for her own personal reasons.

Oh, I got that but Clari acts like a 16 year old and Isani acts like a more mature person, that is all her reflections were about.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

"Well met, Lord Esserian. Thank you for attending our request so promptly. Please do sit down. Would you care for some refreshment?" She speaks evenly, a welcoming smile on her face, even though her heart is pounding in her ears. She sits opposite him, folding her hands neatly in her lap to still their slight tremor. You are leader now, so act like one and treat this would-be ally like you are a fine, intelligent noblewoman. "Let us all be seated." She waits until the others have seated themselves before speaking again.

"As baroness of Saravale I have been tasked with the welfare of the city, town, lands and all its people and creatures. Some months ago you mentioned you were sanctioned to observe our capital on behalf of your father the Duke, to a view of a mutually beneficial alliance. I, and the Council, have brought you here to discuss a formal alliance between our lands and people. You have mentioned some past concerns and I have not forgotten them. We are growing and expanding -- even now we have immediate plans to head South to map and expand our territory. We are establishing a land unlike any other and it may take time to realise our vision for Saravale and its provinces. Yet, we are fully committed to the task and the endeavour to produce a land and community worthy of all and an attractive prospect to any ally. General Ka'etil, here, has been meticulously establishing a militia and a system of protection within our immediate borders and beyond. Yet, we are a young city, seeking stable, loyal allies. Your father has honoured us with the presence of his son and soldiers and we look to strengthen that bond and solidify it for the welfare of each party. You will be returning to the Duke's side soon and I would ask that you allow us an opportunity to appeal graciously for a true concord and cooperation between Western Brevoy and Saravale. I would hear what you have to say, whether you believe there is chance of success in forging an alliance with your people, Sir."

Diplomacy with Delain: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25


Male Human
Ariarh Kane wrote:

"Well met, Lord Esserian. Thank you for attending our request so promptly. Please do sit down. Would you care for some refreshment?" She speaks evenly, a welcoming smile on her face, even though her heart is pounding in her ears. She sits opposite him, folding her hands neatly in her lap to still their slight tremor. You are leader now, so act like one and treat this would-be ally like you are a fine, intelligent noblewoman. "Let us all be seated." She waits until the others have seated themselves before speaking again.

"As baroness of Saravale I have been tasked with the welfare of the city, town, lands and all its people and creatures. Some months ago you mentioned you were sanctioned to observe our capital on behalf of your father the Duke, to a view of a mutually beneficial alliance. I, and the Council, have brought you here to discuss a formal alliance between our lands and people. You have mentioned some past concerns and I have not forgotten them. We are growing and expanding -- even now we have immediate plans to head South to map and expand our territory. We are establishing a land unlike any other and it may take time to realise our vision for Saravale and its provinces. Yet, we are fully committed to the task and the endeavour to produce a land and community worthy of all and an attractive prospect to any ally. General Ka'etil, here, has been meticulously establishing a militia and a system of protection within our immediate borders and beyond. Yet, we are a young city, seeking stable, loyal allies. Your father has honoured us with the presence of his son and soldiers and we look to strengthen that bond and solidify it for the welfare of each party. You will be returning to the Duke's side soon and I would ask that you allow us an opportunity to appeal graciously for a true concord and cooperation between Western Brevoy and Saravale. I would hear what you have to say, whether you believe there is chance of success in forging an alliance with your people, Sir."...

Delain seems somewhat more cool now, but you suspect that is because he is now dealing with “business” rather then a personal issue. He takes a token sip of the wine offered, folding his hands and listening to the ideas proposed.

”I am eager to go forward with such a motion – true. But I must speak logically, and present the appropriate facts to my father.”

”Currently, I am interested in the theory of the proposal. I see that you have a lot of potential here, the land is vast, and the people seem very industrious.”

”But my theories and guesses will be, at best, abstract. My father deals in facts – and I must present him with facts.”

”For example – you mentioned a military presence. How powerful is it? How many men can you field – cavalry, infantry, magi – and so on? Also – as for your financial capabilities – how secure are they? Is your nation well founded, financially?”

”I have seen the production of various buildings of note – and the emergence of two small towns within the context of your borders, each of them growing rather well and quickly.”

He takes another sip, his professionalism mellowing a little, as he favors Ariarh a bit with a small grin.

”I believe that your nation is running into nothing more complex then the usual difficulties that any nation would discover – but, with a slightly more difficult nuance attached to it. Your nation is growing – and growing very quickly. In the past two months you picked up nearly 1,000 refuges to the north – gave them homes and places to live. Meanwhile – a massive amount of rather unusual colonists have migrated north into your southern town – their presence, in both of your towns, is swelling the ranks of your citizens so fast that your people don’t even have the buildings to take care of things quickly.”

”For example – with the amount of citizens you have currently – you would normally have at least one modest temple – but you have not had time to construct one. Nor have you had time to construct other similar buildings – no proper garrison for your militia – though you do make use of the fortress here. Again – this seems to be a problem with regards to the fact that you simply do not have time to grow as quickly as the citizens congregate here. I think that if you had more time – the town will swell to accommodate your citizens here. I think that your infrastructure and the buildings will soon grow to accommodate the citizens. But – not yet.”

Delain leans back and steeples his fingers.

”All this aside – I want you to succeed. I believe that your nation has extreme potential – it is well situated with the location so close to Brevoy – and functioning as a barrier to Ustalav – it negates the threat of banditry here – and as your citizens grow – you will eventually expand to the wild lands that are currently uninhabited. I have a hunch that, especially given the nature of the massive growth of citizens – that, by the end of the year – the spillover from this town alone may expand to another – possibly a village to the west – the land there is largely unclaimed, as I saw when I examined your charts. The eastern flank of your borders is well settled – but, there seems to be very little besides to the west… And with the threat of barbarians spilling from the north-west – and the Ustalavian scum entering from the west as well – I should think that the west needs consideration.”

”However – this is only conjecture. I am still uncertain what you are planning on – and, as we are talking specifics – what can you offer my father’s people? And – what would like to receive from us? What details can I provide you – and what advantages are you interested in? Surely you are curious on our strengths – and, if you decide on a formal alliance – what would you feel to be best from us? Come – let me know what exactly you would prefer – and, when I know better – I can aid you best.”

Delain leans back – clearly curious to know the specifics on what you can offer – and what you are looking for, from him.


Male commoner 1

Kae'll be back tomorrow to continue discussing military stuffs...


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

The nobleman asked many questions and raised valid questions. In this moment, as ruler of Saravale, she could not show him just how vulnerable she was -- in charge of a fledgling city and the Council always travelling to explore and claim territory to satisfy the needs of an ever-growing population and an ever-growing menace outside their gates. Too many days and nights fighting for security and paving the way for a nation unlike any other. And still, they had no true ally in another nation. What did she know of militia and temples and infrastructure. She was simply a young woman raised and reared on a ranch. Yet what they strove for here was the same as there: community, sanctity, security. She took a silent indrawn breath and raised her head high and spoke with a certainty she did not truly possess. Her reign may be a mere 6 months but if she did not do her best then she would be wasting the opportunity and the trust the townsfolk put into the hands of the Council.

"I will leave the military details to my General, Ka'etil Malas'rae, for it is he and Sir Sylvath, the silver kobold paladin, who undertake the recruiting and training. You ask me what we can offer your father the Duke. We can provide a trustworthy ally, not one led by corruption or swayed by personal, selfish desires. Our financial security is stable -- we have the means or at the very least the natural resources to turn into coin and wealth. As any growing nation, much of our wealth is poured into wages and services and eradicating the evil that lurks within our borders and beyond. We are about to venture forth once again to expand our territory -- more land, more people, and in the future a greater supply of goods and services. So, an open trade route between your House and mine. We have two skilled principal magi who are organising the creation of a magic school -- so we will have skilled spellcasters at your service. You are correct when you say we spend much of our time outside of Saravale. Still, borders must be constructed, manned and secured. One cannot remain lax believing that none will come to our doors and leave us to govern as we see fit. Nay, they would sooner evict us from these lands and claim all we have constructed and created. This is where you could benefit us. We need a strong and definitive military presence. In addition your established power and presence would be a deterrent to a would-be usurper. An unallied new nation would be considered weak and defenceless and even a threat by older nations. And enemies would come to battle us for this land and the people within. I have observed you since you joined us -- well both in Master Oleg's village and here in Saravale. You have ability and organisation and we can benefit from both. Tell me, what are your House's strengths? How can your people benefit mine? I have never asked you this question directly and now it is time to have open discourse."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27


Male

He listens quietly to the tones in his mistress' voice. The elevations and descents and the vulnerable valleys. This was no girl sitting here before the nobleman, she had become a woman of integrity, strength and character. If this human man could not see this, then he was not fit to mate with his mistress. She deserved a true mate, whose bond would be eternal.

He stands from the place on the floor where he was comfortably sprawled and walks over to Ariarh. Eyeing the lord with intense golden eyes he moves forward and places his beak upon her knee as a sign of loyalty and confidence.

He likes it when she scratches his head and she begins unconsciously doing so as she waits for the lord to speak. He purrs softly for a minute or two but not so much that he is seen as weak in the eyes of the male human. He loves his mistress and he was her stalwart protector. The lord would understand this.


Male Human
Ariarh Kane wrote:

The nobleman asked many questions and raised valid questions. In this moment, as ruler of Saravale, she could not show him just how vulnerable she was -- in charge of a fledgling city and the Council always travelling to explore and claim territory to satisfy the needs of an ever-growing population and an ever-growing menace outside their gates. Too many days and nights fighting for security and paving the way for a nation unlike any other. And still, they had no true ally in another nation. What did she know of militia and temples and infrastructure. She was simply a young woman raised and reared on a ranch. Yet what they strove for here was the same as there: community, sanctity, security. She took a silent indrawn breath and raised her head high and spoke with a certainty she did not truly possess. Her reign may be a mere 6 months but if she did not do her best then she would be wasting the opportunity and the trust the townsfolk put into the hands of the Council.

"I will leave the military details to my General, Ka'etil Malas'rae, for it is he and Sir Sylvath, the silver kobold paladin, who undertake the recruiting and training. You ask me what we can offer your father the Duke. We can provide a trustworthy ally, not one led by corruption or swayed by personal, selfish desires. Our financial security is stable -- we have the means or at the very least the natural resources to turn into coin and wealth. As any growing nation, much of our wealth is poured into wages and services and eradicating the evil that lurks within our borders and beyond. We are about to venture forth once again to expand our territory -- more land, more people, and in the future a greater supply of goods and services. So, an open trade route between your House and mine. We have two skilled principal magi who are organising the creation of a magic school -- so we will have skilled spellcasters at your service. You are correct when you say we spend much of our time outside of Saravale. Still, borders must be constructed, manned and...

You see that your effort to strike to professionalism was a good decision. While Delain may certainly have personal feelings for you – for now he is talking business. In business he must remove those feelings from his thinking. He does, after all, have his father’s House to consider – and his people.

He nods pleasantly at your request – deciding to answer your question before advancing his own thoughts.

”Firstly – my father is the Duke of the Esserian lands – he is the fourth of our House to have this title. This should – at the least – suggest some level of stability. Our House has been well situated for over 130 years. That alone should demonstrate our longevity – and through it our value in those terms.”

”We are situated on the far western border of Brevoy – and act as a vanguard against the barbarians of Numeria. As such – our folk are both removed much from the political court of Brevoy – and at the forefront of the frontier during times of military trouble. For better or worse – this has created a more hardy type of military unit – though we are less connected with diplomatic strategies and methods.”

”Our method of commerce and trade is – for the most part – metal and mining. We have some crops, but mostly husbandry – the majority of our folk being drovers in the highlands, as there is little arable land to grow crops on; as we live in much rocky terrain.”

”We have connections with folk in Numeria that are not barbarians – some of them are part of the guild known as the “Technic League” – an organization that is composed of scientists who use technology instead of magic to produce comforts and methods of defense. We have studied their technology – and made arrangements with them for trade – you have seen evidence of this in the form of our black powder weapons, which – as I understand – is not common here, or even much of Brevoy.”

”My father has under his command 49 sword scions – each man is given what you may consider “Knighthood” – though, in fact – their position is not recognize by the Brevoyian nobility – they are not formal “Knights” – in the noble sense. But in my father’s Duchy they possess abilities as a knight would. Each sword scion is given control of a parcel of land – as a knight would – and they are also able to recruit men under them. They are expected to guard the land under my father’s command – and the peasants that work the field are under their protection – and taxed for the purpose of that protection. Further – they are also able to recruit their own men-at-arms for the protection of their lands.”

”Each sword scion typically has anywhere from 4-20 families working their lands – and anywhere from 8-40 men-at-arms to protect these same lands. As long as my father’s House lasts – these lands and property rights are recognized by his House – however, again, Brevoyian nobility does not recognize these claims. Should my father fall – or be usurped – I foresee a very different style of government in place – one that requires taxes for more then protection and basic infrastructure – but also to girt the belts of noble lords with gold and gems for the sake of personal greed or vanity. But – that is a long way from here, and we shall not trouble over it.”

”My father is less likely to produce much men to send you – in time of need – for they are generally attached to the protection of their land. For myself – I have under me 42 families who work the fields on my property. My men-at-arms tally 117 – 40 of which are cavalry. I am here with my own men – even as you see them – on patrol. Yet my lands – within my father’s boundaries – are not unguarded. For now we are generally at peace.”

Delain considers his next wording carefully.

”The northlands are generally hard on crops – as I have said – yet you have arable land in abundance. Further – we have less bodies to field into battle for the purpose of defense – to compensate for this – the bodies we have are much more hardy. Our men are generally better trained then regular fighting men – and certainly better armed. Therefore – we can provide better resources for you in that respect – especially as we do have already in place connections with the Technic League.”

”You have said you are well-situated in gold? This is a good thing – my father would be interested in both raw gold – for the procurement of arms and armor from the folk of Numeria, they charge a high price for these weapons – and we would also be interested in the purchase of crops.”

”For now – should we proceed – and if my father wishes it so – I would offer these terms; the establishment of a modest embassy here – as your people would have one in my father’s lands. This would be a place under which any who enter fall under your protection – as my folk would do so in your own land. Both parties would be responsible for the expense of our own respective embassy.”

”Again – for terms I should ask initially for matters of trade and barter. For now – you have large amounts of land – and it is likely you will – in time – produce great amount of produce in the form of grain and other things; fruits, vegetables – wine, mead – and possibly tobacco; which our folk enjoy, as you may know, but it is poorly grown in the north, again – due to climate.”

”For this – if I were my father and could dictate terms formally – I should offer several trade agreements with you. Firstly – that our folk would receive all such trade commodities as foodstuffs and harvest production at 20% under market price. In return – your town would have immediate access to all our roads and infrastructure. You may receive better terms from the lords of Brevoy that are closer to your lands – but they are wily – they will likely extend high tariffs to use their roads, and – I suspect that in the long run – you will, at best – break even. And, at worst – fall short of what you would earn with my father’s folk. Further – as it is in our interest to receive these goods – we shall provide escorts for your people once your reach our borders – the Brevoyian lords to our east will certainly not do this for you – and likely will charge to protect you from “bandit” folk.”

”Next – though you speak of things such as your finances – that is to say – your gold – I have a strong suspicion this is not as good as you think. My assumption is – that at the first of the next month – when you calculate the earnings of your entire town and village – presuming of course that you do not do so with your own cunning and abilities – but rather – you town decides to… how shall say in these legal matters… Ah! Cleave to the legal matters By the Book – I have a strong hunch that your town will be in dire straits indeed. You will need gold – which is why this service of foodstuffs will help you – for you will certainly have crops – as it is spring – but little gold – and certainly no roads to ship it – excepting of course into the heart of Brevoy – who is eager to take your goods – and – if you’ll pardon me – play you for a fool?”

He sips a glass of wine – thinking a bit.

”In time I have no doubt your earnings will soon do well – but our own folk do not have much in the way of gold – rather – we take much it from the land, then send it out west to produce and import weapons. However – we have excellent connections in that matter. As such – we may be of further use to you?”

”I should ask that our family functions as brokers for your citizens – once your finances are flowing well. Specifically – if you have need of weapons, armor – masterwork quality with rare alloys – and magical weapons besides – we have arrangements with business folk in Numeria – they have sworn to do business with my father’s house at 10% off all market value for such things. If you allow us to act as a go-between – we can guarantee that you will receive all your weapons, armor – including magical weapons and armor – masterwork quality, and rare components and alloys needed – at 5% under the market value – our family keeping 5% for the cost of business.”

”The only drawback on this venture is that it would take about a month to receive a commission from you – and month for delivery. However – this may be deferred in time with magical communication.”

Delain pauses to consider something.

”On that note alone,” he says brightening somewhat ”consider this: if you continue to buy such items through us – in bulk – we may even be able to increase the discount in cost with the Numerians. If this occurs – we should agree – on our side at least – that we would keep no more then half the discount for our commission. If we lower the price to 20% - you would save 10% on all goods needed – for example.”

Ariarh – you are completely convinced in Delain’s honesty – he is certainly not lying at all. Also – he is about to suggest something – thanks to your Diplomacy rolls – and, perhaps – other talents….

”As a token of my good faith – let me do the following for you – if I may?”

”I have seen that you have a company of men in this town – I suspect a militia of sorts – their gear is modest – though I deem it could be better. Produce for me a listing of all goods and gear that would have for your people’s protection – this should include the type of alloy (if any) – and, if you wish to be magically enhanced – which can be done, at a modest price. Once you compile this list – deliver it to me before you leave.”

”I shall deliver it – and any terms you would like to make or amend to my initial proposal to my father. Whether he agrees with the arrangement – or no – I will personally see to it that the goods are bought and paid for from the Numerian Faction – and at 5% under market value. Further – if it is a large enough quantity – I may be able to garner further discounts – producing even more savings. This is a one time arrangement – until a legally binding alliance is concluded – but, I see no harm in the venture, so long as I alone – and my people – broker the deal.”

He nods, as if well pleased by this idea.

”Indeed – circulate this notice with your friends in the town on the Council – I will produce – at one time bonus, until such time as this arrangement is ratified – any weapon or piece of armor – be it modest quality, magical or masterwork – at 5% under the market value. However – I will need the coin in hand before we leave. If you can encourage your general to purchase gear for his soldiers – buying in bulk is likely to lower the price – though how much I cannot say, for I do not know.”

”I shall begin drafting up the particulars of what my father should need in such an alliance – later, as you requested – I will produce the drafting of this document for you and your people to look over. Share the document with your companions – let them offer what suggestions they may – then give me back your own version – with any counter-proposals – and we can go from there,” he adds pleasantly.

”I should add… baroness,” he says, rolling the S’s in “baroness” with his tongue, favoring you with a somewhat playful grin, now that “business” seems to be concluded ”I am not my father – and have no legal authority to speak for him. Nevertheless – he trusts my opinions very much. It is not my blood alone that has placed me as his heir – for in my fathers land - though blood is highly considered – it may be superseded if he deems me unworthy. Even so I suspect that if I agree with your proposal – unless I am gravely mistaken – well, consider my words as his – and the presentation of the draft to him a legal formality. Even so – it is my duty to produce such a document for him – but I have a strong suspicion that if I agree to the drafting of what proposal your people produce – he shall, too.”

A bell outside chimes – you can tell by the sound it is now 3:00 PM.

”I should return at the end of the hour with my own drafting of the terms of what I should see of this alliance – on paper – produced for you perusal, and your council. After which – take your time to examine the terms – offer me any other concepts – and return it to me when you are ready. And, if I may – a small request?” he adds a bit softly.

”Such matters – once concluded and all input from counselors given is best served between the two leaders of each company. For myself – when on battle maneuvers – when I seek counsel – my men give it – but in the end, I myself make the determination what to do alone. I suspect the same is true with you also? Good!” he adds, before you can really answer, wondering at this strange unexpected tone – in which he seems to be ascribing to you some sort of vaulted power or aristocracy. But before you can really retort to this suggestion – he presses on, his eyes cautioning you to trust him.

”Once the particulars are finished – I feel it best for us two to speak alone – privately, and away from the ears of any other who may listen and offer contrary advice; as a matter for form, of course. Yet even your ward – though her knowledge and skill is great – I should think that, in this matter – honor would dictate that we two alone speak as equals – but, er… separate from… other interruptions?” he wets his lips again nervously – as if he has overextended himself.

”I know, of course – you are busy before your next mission – but, I fear that I and my men cannot linger here long. Once we have your requests for my father – we shall tarry a few days, and return north with all speed so we may present the information to him. But, that is to say – before I leave – I should like to speak to you privately on these matters – and, if you have the opportunity – I feel it would best to speak away from any, er – prying eyes and ears? Perhaps it would best – to find this privacy – if we went for a ride – or a walk – or, in any case – moved beyond the context of the town, and spoke on business – just the two of us – alone? If you agreeable to this, of course,” he adds hastily, looking somewhat nervous, as if he has been too bold.

Yeah – Ariarh may not be as skilled in social graces as her Player – but it should seem pretty clear to even someone with Ariarh’s background that though Delain is extremely confident, bold and professional within his realm of expertise; well – talking to the “fair sex” – this is well beyond his understanding. He’s a bit of a rough type – spending most of his time on the frontier – not in court. He has little experience talking to a lady – and though he clearly wants to talk to Ariarh – he’s not sure if he’s being genteel – or making an ass out of himself. Even so – it seems he may be looking for the chance to talk to her privately for more then just business reasons before she leaves.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

She sits before him, hands 'twined, sapphire eyes bright and curious. Inside however she is anything but still, figures and facts blurring into a maelstrom and feelings that seemed to be unappeased with this mild and professional visage she was presenting to the lord before her. Dior had since removed himself from her side, back to the corner of the meeting chamber and was presently napping.

"Lord Esserian, you have given me much to think on and I will await the drafting of your terms in an hour. I trust in your word and position within your father's House."

Unlatching her fingers and unconsciously stretching them (she had held them pressed together overly long), she stands from her chair and looks down into his familiar grey-green eyes, "We are in a synchronicity, Sir, for I had the same inclination as you in terms of privately talking away from general interruption and city business. Upon your return in an hour, I shall read your letter with the preliminary terms of allegiance and then we can ride together and converse on other...matters. I had every intention of speaking with you alone and have requested Anuk-su remain guarded in my bedchamber by the Osirion Priestess and an Elven friend of General Ka'etil until all my meetings are concluded." She smiles at him, yet it is somewhat restrained for she is before him in a formal capacity and they could not be simply Ariarh and Delain but Lady and Lord.


Male Human
Ariarh Kane wrote:

She sits before him, hands 'twined, sapphire eyes bright and curious. Inside however she is anything but still, figures and facts blurring into a maelstrom and feelings that seemed to be unappeased with this mild and professional visage she was presenting to the lord before her. Dior had since removed himself from her side, back to the corner of the meeting chamber and was presently napping.

"Lord Esserian, you have given me much to think on and I will await the drafting of your terms in an hour. I trust in your word and position within your father's House."

Unlatching her fingers and unconsciously stretching them (she had held them pressed together overly long), she stands from her chair and looks down into his familiar grey-green eyes, "We are in a synchronicity, Sir, for I had the same inclination as you in terms of privately talking away from general interruption and city business. Upon your return in an hour, I shall read your letter with the preliminary terms of allegiance and then we can ride together and converse on other...matters. I had every intention of speaking with you alone and have requested Anuk-su remain guarded in my bedchamber by the Osirion Priestess and an Elven friend of General Ka'etil until all my meetings are concluded." She smiles at him, yet it is somewhat restrained for she is before him in a formal capacity and they could not be simply Ariarh and Delain but Lady and Lord.

"Excellent, lady - I look forward to the chance to speak to you... alone. Meanwhile - I look forward to seeing your proposal and theories on the particulars of the alliance which I intend to draft."

"I shall see you soon," he adds with a bow, taking her hand gently, then turning to leave Ariarh with some privacy.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human

The hour has gone, and Delain has returned.

This is a following of a draft from Delain to Ariarh – he is fully willing to support her candidacy for leadership. However – as a rider in his clause – he makes the notation that his generosity with this agreement will extend to the leaders of the land – provided those leaders are either Ariarh – who he has come to trust – or Brett – who he already trusts. If either of these two run the country – the nation as a whole benefits from them. If – however – the leader is relegated to a province – only the province benefits from them. Of course – that nation can go through either you or Brett to do business.

Contract with Ariarh via the Alliance –

Terms of Agreement

1. All foodstuffs from your community will be sold to the Esserian at 20% below market value. The Esserian estates request at least 2,000 Gold Pieces of food stuffs every season (market value cost – they will pay 1,600 for it).

Game Terms here: 4 times a year you will need to ship out to the Essarian lands at least 2,000 gold pieces in food – you will be paid only 1,600 for this service. You will lose about 400 gold pieces every season because of this.

2. An embassy will be created on both Esserian land for you (your diplomat will be provided by you – as well as any guards), and one will be provided on your land. Both parties must pay for their respective embassy – though land will be granted for both.

One grid on either the capital land – or your own province – must be set aside for the Embassy. As long as an Embassy exists – the nation which provides the Embassy will be required to pay for an maintain it. An Embassy costs 6 BP. It grants your city a +1 Economy and +1 Stability for each Embassy you have. It should be noted that if the Embassy exists in a province, not the capital – those bonus’s only apply to the Province.

3. Both sides are called allies. Neither will attack each other – to do so is a declaration of war. Further, if war comes to either side by a third party – then military assistance will be offered.

Yeah – so, basically, if your nation is attacked by a third party – say if an army marches on your nation/province – or if one marches on the Essarian land – you need to send military aid, as his family will send military aid. No specifics made – but generally at least 1/10 of your military need to be committed to its allies.

4. The Esserian lands will provide all weapons and armor – magical, mundane, and masterwork quality at 5% off market value because of its connections to Numeria. Larger discounts may exist – if the allies are willing to invest in bulk products.

Yeah – again, this is a very important note, too. First Market Value is literally the cost in the book. When you look up a weapon – you’ll see the cost right out of the book. No haggling – you get 5% off the book price. Also – your town/province may not have all the cool stuff to get rare items done – it may need a blacksmith to make a weapon, or a magic user to make a magic weapon – or an armor smith to make special armor – or mithril or cold iron – or whatever. Well – the Esserian estates already have access to all those things. You get any piece of Armor, or Weapon – be it magical, mundane, or masterwork – no matter what the cost – at 5% under the book price. FURTHER – if you spend more then for every 10,000 Gold Pieces a year you spend annually – your discount drops another 5%. In other words 1 – 9,999 GP 5% discount; 10,000 – 19,999 GP 10%; 20,000 – 29,999 GP 15% off – and so on. However – it will take time to transport the gear, though. At least one month to ship the gear to you, barring any other nuances such as trouble on the road, weather, and so on.

5. There will be no taxes for the trans-shipment of goods on either side. Once a party reaches the borders of their territory – no taxes or tariffs will be provided, and an escort will be granted for protection of goods. A weigh point on the borders may be a good thing – but it is not necessary – for when troops will be garrisoned to guard the supplies which head north or south.

Yeah – basically – as long as you do trading – you don’t have to worry about paying taxes – and you he is assuming you won’t be charging taxes on his folk. You don’t need a garrison to provide an escort – but it may be something to consider. Also – at some point you’ll probably want to build roads for faster transport – but more about that later.

Okay – that is the draft – look it over – toss in any suggestions or theories – and we’ll go from there. Remember also that you can provide a list of magical/mundane/masterwork armor/weapons that you want. He will fill the order, and send it back to you – at 5% off book price. This is a one time offer until the treaty is ratified. Consider the treaty – and go from there. FYI – if Kae wants in on this – he’ll actually need to RP that out. Otherwise – he won’t be part of the conjoined “province” clause if you are not formally leader.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

In regard to weapons and armor, Ry would consider purchasing Wild Armor for herself (useful for retaining her armor bonus in wildshape form), other items: masterwork silver dagger (market price 322 gp), masterwork cold iron longsword (market price 330gp), mithral shirts (market price 1100gp), tangle bolts (market price 226 gp) and possibly sleep arrows (marker price 132 gp). She will confer with Kae who would know which weapons his men may need and in what quantities and what is best for the Council's weaponry needs.

Addendum items to draft (suggestions):

* Neither nation will interfere in the laws and running of the respective nation and its territories and will respect the laws in each land when visiting and residing within its respective borders (Foreign Diplomats/Ambassadors (in the embassy) as guests will be mindful to abide by the laws in the respective nations). If local laws are broken by a Foreign Diplomat, this will lead to immediate expulsion (of the Diplomat and any in his charge or family) from the land and a new Foreign Diplomat assigned and dispatched.

* Once a year the leaders of each nation meet, in official capacity, for a festival (in each respective land) as a show of allegiance and good will. Timing can be decided upon later -- whichever local festival is of great importance.

* Food stuffs required every season: If for some reason, whether through natural disasters or bad/failed crops etc, Saravale cannot provide the designated food quota to Western Brevoy, they are permitted to reduce their provision to 1000gp for that season (instead of 2000gp as agreed upon). This is to ensure that Saravalians do not starve during lean times. This can be recompensed to House Esserian in richer crop periods.

I'm tired and that's all I can think of for now. If more comes to me whilst I sleep (yeah, my brain doesn't shut off), I'll post them in my morning.


Remember – you are fully able to renegotiate this information if you would like to, you are currently in that process with Delain. But – don’t forget – he’d like that ride with you at some point.

Addendum – questions and such:

1. Regarding “diplomatic Immunity” – so you want to negate diplomatic immunity for ambassadors? This is generally extended to most ambassadors – if they commit a crime, they are typically returned to their own lands to be tried for the crime in their own courts. Negating that from your alliance would negate a policy that stands even in our own worlds’ courts on a generally accepted international level. So – just something to consider; it may not be as well received, even if you believe Delain’s people to be good folk.

Also, very generally – any diplomat who breaks a law is generally put under review by his own people. It’s not normally a garauntee – so, for example – if a Diplomat in our world got caught running a red light – they wouldn’t revoke his Ambassador status, though it could be prosecuted formally on an international level. But most people don’t both for running a red light. But – with your amendment – any crime committed at all causes the diplomat status to be revoked. Is that something you want to have?

2. The festival part is also tricky. It would force the leaders of your nation to leave their own nation to travel to another – simply for a festival. You may be busy – you may be unable to attend due to personal issues – such as being out of the country, war, and so on. While having such visits and festivals may be a good idea – making them a mandatory idea would generally force the leaders into a position where they had to leave their own lands instead of taking care of business there.

Also – it is a classic military strategy to have leaders “visit your lands” for a festival – because – while visiting – they are theoretically hostages to your people, even though the word “hostage” is never used. If you forced the Duke and his family to come to your nation for a predetermined period of time – and then extended the time – using couriers to suggest the Duke was ill and could not travel – you could – theoretically – keep the Duke’s people under your heel, if you intended to.

While I doubt that is Ariarh’s plan – it is something to consider – as, again, the Duke has not met you – and would certainly consider that suggestion as a possible threat, whether or not you intended it to be one.

3. For foodstuffs – it may be better to decide on a flat percentage of seasonal gathering. That way – if you have more then you need, you can send it north – if you hardly have anything – you don’t need to send as much. Also – a percentage works a lot better for provinces – as a province may not have enough to support that export, and the people within it. The question is – how much of a percentage do you expect to import/export? Delain looked at a flat fee of 2,000 GP – but he assumed this was from the entire nation.

This is a bit tricky – as you have no way of knowing how much food in terms of “coin” your nation grows – and won’t until you do the books for the first formal month using the Kingmaker Rules “By the Book”. Then you’d find out how much food your town grows – then you’d find out how much the foodstuffs would be on “open market” – by the book, and then you’d know what’s what.

Typically taxes are levied on peasants with foodstuffs as the “coin” – you could decide that the nation/province would have to pay a flat rate of – say – 10% of their food stuffs in the contract – with the understanding that you’d be getting 80% f the food returned to you in raw coin. This could be useful – and then again – it may not. It’s all pretty much up to how you do it.

4. Um – quick question – while you named your Capital City Saraville – is that actually the name of your nation? For now – I have not treated it as such – since I didn’t know – and just referred to things as “your nation” – given the nation no name. If it is the name of the nation – that’s cool, but it would help me to have a formal name – as well as a name to the capital – which would probably be different.


Just a pet peave of mine and I don't mean to intervene but it is SaraVALE not SaraVILLE. Ok, as you were, sorry to interrupt lol.


Male Human

Delain looks at the Addendum's and he asks you about the nuances present - specifically the ones you raised. What is your answer to these points?

"Madam - while I am willing to concede with little issue a percentage for the transport of food stuff - rather then a flat amount - the other terms are a bit... awkward... Is there something that can be said on them?" he asks politely.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Okay, I don't think you've read my points as I had meant them. The Foreign Ambassador would not be dealt with in Saravale -- they'd be evicted/sent home to Western Brevoy to await trial and possible punishment. I realise there is such a thing as Diplomatic Immunity ... but I'm confused as to the difference of what I said and what you said. Aren't they the same thing in essence? If the Ambassador is guilty of wrong doing, why would we want them back in Saravale after they have been tried for a crime in Western Brevoy (irrespective of the outcome in the Breyovian courts)? We wouldn't be able to trust them.

And I realise they are going for a private chat somewhere but business must be dealt with first (of which you basically said go over the draft and suggest amendments, which I did). So, why the nudge re the private chat like she doesn't realise this? Ariarh leaves at sunset for two weeks and Delain has mentioned he will leave as soon as the alliance agreement is concluded ... so it needs to get done before she can relax and speak with him on a personal level.


Ariarh Kane wrote:

Okay, I don't think you've read my points as I had meant them. The Foreign Ambassador would not be dealt with in Saravale -- they'd be evicted/sent home to Western Brevoy to await trial and possible punishment. I realise there is such a thing as Diplomatic Immunity ... but I'm confused as to the difference of what I said and what you said. Aren't they the same thing in essence? If the Ambassador is guilty of wrong doing, why would we want them back in Saravale? We wouldn't be able to trust them.

And I realise they are going for a private chat somewhere but business must be dealt with first (of which you basically said go over the draft and suggest amendments, which I did). So, why the nudge re the private chat? Ariarh leaves at sunset for two weeks and Delain has mentioned he will leave as soon as the alliance agreement is concluded ... so it needs to get done before she can relax and speak with him on a personal level.

1. The diplomatic immunity thing - well that is kind of up to you. Typically the foreign nation appoints the ambassador that THEY think is best person for the job to talk to you guys, not necessarily the one that YOU think is best to talk to you.

Their ambassador is selected to serve their needs, and they have the right to appoint a specific person - generally, the one they think can help them the most.

So - if you said (hypothetically) - "Well, he's not bad - but Mr. X - we like him better," they could say - arguably "Of course you do - you have Mister X in your pocket - that's the real reason you don't want the guy WE picked".

Will that happen? Not very likely at all - but there is always a slim chance that COULD happen - say if both Delain and his father were wiped out and the successor was not very cool.

Now - as for the crime - it is possible that the guy they thought was the best, and you guys really liked him, too - well, he may end up breaking the law. He may have broken curfew - or had an "escort" attend to his private needs - sometimes countries will look the other way on these matters - just to make the"go-between" happy. Sometimes they won't.

That's kind of up to you how that works out - some crimes you may decide to be a bit more lenient on - because it is the ambassador that is going to function as your go-between. On the other hand - you don't sense this is a real problem - because the people here are pretty good people.

It is just something to consider, that's all.

Expediting an ambassador to his homeland for the purpose of breaking a crime - such as drunk in public - this could strain things. It's generally up to you how to play it out, though. How lenient you want to be, and so on.

2. Yeah - well, I just wanted to mention the walk thing because it has been a couple days in real life - also, just to give out the idea that Delain thinks seeing you in person - to him, that is actually equally, or more important, then the actual treaty. That was kind of the point - that to him - you're more important then the alliance. That was all.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

"Lord Esserian, they were simply notes I had scribbled down and they do not have to be included now that we have spoken of them and clarified each point. The terms in your draft seem fair and I will accept them. I worry about the level of food produce you would have us supply to House Esserian each season -- I worry in case we cannot meet your quota due to factors outside of our control. If we could place a provision that if a quota cannot be met in one season, it can be made up in another season? I think that will suffice and keep both sides content. If that is agreeable to you, I shall sign the agreement and then we can take that ride and have a private word?", she smiles at the nobleman.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Saravale would be the name of the capital city. The nation would have a different name, perhaps even one honouring Alaric Winter's vision for this town and land ... Will put up some nation name suggestions soon.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

I don't know what kind of money we got access to right now. We gotta give gold to Delain before we leave if we want anything from him, and i dunno what gold recourses we have to throw at our military at the moment.

I'm working out the troop numbers and looking for what sort of items we'd need to start...

How's it going to work when we get our garrison and the numbers of the army go up? in terms of items?

I think it might make sense to order stuff for the army after we get a better handle on the finances and get back.

I do like the agreement right now. It looks good. Saravale is the name of our city. we don't have a nation name as of yet...


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Can a nation consist of two cities lol? Nevermind...I've been to Liechtenstein which you can literally drive across in half an hour.


Male Human
Ariarh Kane wrote:
"Lord Esserian, they were simply notes I had scribbled down and they do not have to be included now that we have spoken of them and clarified each point. The terms in your draft seem fair and I will accept them. I worry about the level of food produce you would have us supply to House Esserian each season -- I worry in case we cannot meet your quota due to factors outside of our control. If we could place a provision that if a quota cannot be met in one season, it can be made up in another season? I think that will suffice and keep both sides content. If that is agreeable to you, I shall sign the agreement and then we can take that ride and have a private word?", she smiles at the nobleman.

"Very good - in this case - let us make the number then - shall we say... 10% of total produce earned - you sell it to us for 20% under market value? This way - if the harvest is poor - things can do well. If it goes well - then we can enjoy an abundance of goodwill? But, 10% of produce each season sounds good to me. Do you find that figure acceptable?" he asks, with a polite smile.

"Meanwhile," he adds collecting your list of items you would like to purchase "I shall submit this list to my father. Please understand that it will take some time for me to return, the items collected, and then returned to you. At that time - I will have the final copy of the alliance for your to consider."

"If, for some reason - you are unable to maintain your position as national leader - we will happily keep the agreement with your personal lands - as well as the good Master Brett - though we are not completely certain of your comrade here..." Delain says, giving Kae a polite nod.

Yeeah - Kae - if you want in on this - we'll need a Diplomacy roll - and soon - otherwise he'll keep it between his country and the nation/Ariarh's lands - and Brett's, too - as they requested it.

Delain is willing to give Kae a moment before he collects his notes, and - gods willing - Ariarh.


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

I don't know what kind of money we got access to right now. We gotta give gold to Delain before we leave if we want anything from him, and i dunno what gold recourses we have to throw at our military at the moment.

I'm working out the troop numbers and looking for what sort of items we'd need to start...

How's it going to work when we get our garrison and the numbers of the army go up? in terms of items?

I think it might make sense to order stuff for the army after we get a better handle on the finances and get back.

I do like the agreement right now. It looks good. Saravale is the name of our city. we don't have a nation name as of yet...

No worries Kae - for now - as you don't have a total of your gold - let's say your personal finances are 4,000 gold pieces. You can use this to purchase weapons or armor for yourself - or hang on to your loot.

Meantime - as to the town itself? You may want to figure out a few things - how long do you plan on keeping things going.

Also - you DO have a province - if you want in on the deal Ariarh is hashing out - now is the time to speak up - otherwise it is only a national deal when Ariarh is in charge of the nation - if you have contrary plan - speak up with Diplomacy - please.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Delain Esserian wrote:

"Very good - in this case - let us make the number then - shall we say... 10% of total produce earned - you sell it to us for 20% under market value? This way - if the harvest is poor - things can do well. If it goes well - then we can enjoy an abundance of goodwill? But, 10% of produce each season sounds good to me. Do you find that figure acceptable?" he asks, with a polite smile.

"Meanwhile," he adds collecting your list of items you would like to purchase "I shall submit this list to my father. Please understand that it will take some time for me to return, the items collected, and then returned to you. At that time - I will have the final copy of the alliance for your to consider."

"If, for some reason - you are unable to maintain your position as national leader - we will happily keep the agreement with your personal lands - as well as the good Master Brett - though we are not completely certain of your comrade here..." Delain says, giving Kae a polite nod.

Yeeah - Kae - if you want in on this - we'll need a Diplomacy roll - and soon - otherwise he'll keep it between his country and the nation/Ariarh's lands - and Brett's, too - as they requested it.

Delain is willing to give Kae a moment before he collects his notes, and -...

"I am amiable with the amount being fixed at 10% of total produce harvested per season and selling it to House Esserian at 20% below market value." She moves about the chamber, drawing nearer to Delain's chair. "I understand that it will take time and I give you time to speak with your father and organise the items. I am happy we could come to some agreement, Lord Esserian, and the city and nation's hopes lie with your father, the Duke, being satisfied with the terms. May it be so." She bows her head gracefully to him.

"Now, unless you would like further refreshment, my Lord, shall we take that ride together?" she smiles brightly at him, looking forward to their personal time away from the others, even though there was not much time to linger in the activity.


Male Human
Ariarh Kane wrote:
Delain Esserian wrote:

"Very good - in this case - let us make the number then - shall we say... 10% of total produce earned - you sell it to us for 20% under market value? This way - if the harvest is poor - things can do well. If it goes well - then we can enjoy an abundance of goodwill? But, 10% of produce each season sounds good to me. Do you find that figure acceptable?" he asks, with a polite smile.

"Meanwhile," he adds collecting your list of items you would like to purchase "I shall submit this list to my father. Please understand that it will take some time for me to return, the items collected, and then returned to you. At that time - I will have the final copy of the alliance for your to consider."

"If, for some reason - you are unable to maintain your position as national leader - we will happily keep the agreement with your personal lands - as well as the good Master Brett - though we are not completely certain of your comrade here..." Delain says, giving Kae a polite nod.

Yeeah - Kae - if you want in on this - we'll need a Diplomacy roll - and soon - otherwise he'll keep it between his country and the nation/Ariarh's lands - and Brett's, too - as they requested it.

Delain is willing to give Kae a moment before he collects his notes, and -...

"I am amiable with the amount being fixed at 10% of total produce harvested per season and selling it to House Esserian at 20% below market value." She moves about the chamber, drawing nearer to Delain's chair. "I understand that it will take time and I give you time to speak with your father and organise the items. I am happy we could come to some agreement, Lord Esserian, and the city and nation's hopes lie with your father, the Duke, being satisfied with the terms. May it be so." She bows her head gracefully to him.

"Now, unless you would like further refreshment, my Lord, shall we take that ride together?" she smiles brightly at him, looking forward to their...

"Of course - though I wondered if Councilmember Ka'etil had anything to offer to the list - and if he was interested in a binding alliance as well?" Delain says, turning to Kae - wondering if the half-elf has anything to offer.


Male Human

Seeing Kae is thinking very hard on the issue, Delain stands.

"Very well, sir - if you have any specific needs - let me know before I go. I shall return here with the lady in about an hour - show me the list at that time, and I shall see what I can do."

Delain turns to Ariarh -

"Lady?" he asks, politely - offering her his arm.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

"Lord Esserian, I appreciate the offer of aid in procuring weapons for ourselves and our forces. At the moment, we do not have the funds to supply our forces with much more than we have them equipped with now, but i would like to make arrangements wit you as well." Ka'etil asks Delain.

"The forces of Saravale will in time greatly benefit from trade, and as general, I greatly appreciate your assistance. I do not want to keep you from attending to other matter," He says glancing at Ariarh, "so I shall compile information regarding what we require here, and contact you with that information."

"I will be managing a province, with resources, farmlands, and men as well, and would like to initiate a similar arrangement with your people. As of yet I do not have a claim, outside of Saravale, but once I do I should like to enter into negotiations. Ariarh is very dear to me, and you clearly get along well, so i would like to be friends as well" he says extending his hand to the Duke's son.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


Male Human
Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

"Lord Esserian, I appreciate the offer of aid in procuring weapons for ourselves and our forces. At the moment, we do not have the funds to supply our forces with much more than we have them equipped with now, but i would like to make arrangements wit you as well." Ka'etil asks Delain.

"The forces of Saravale will in time greatly benefit from trade, and as general, I greatly appreciate your assistance. I do not want to keep you from attending to other matter," He says glancing at Ariarh, "so I shall compile information regarding what we require here, and contact you with that information."

"I will be managing a province, with resources, farmlands, and men as well, and would like to initiate a similar arrangement with your people. As of yet I do not have a claim, outside of Saravale, but once I do I should like to enter into negotiations. Ariarh is very dear to me, and you clearly get along well, so i would like to be friends as well" he says extending his hand to the Duke's son.

Diplomacy 1d20+10

Delain - eager to leave - pauses to consider.

"Well - as you are a friend of Brett and the Lady Ariarh - then you are as an ally to me as well. Providing, of course - that the terms in the alliance are acceptable to you? If so - then such an arrangement can be made for you as well," he says politely.

Short answer - if you agree to the terms that have been negotiated - you are free to be added to his agreement. If you do not like the terms, he is not very interest in changing at this time - so, the choice is up to you. If you say yes - you're good. If no that's okay, too.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

"Of course, good sir. Thank you." He makes a quick bow, backing away slightly as he makes to leave. he smiles warmly at Ariarh, saying, "Have fun you too." He then turns and quickly leaves, chuckling silently to himself at their romantic advances. It's been so long since I have found myself in such a situation. well, i do hope this turns out better than Little sis's last romance...


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

She accepts the nobleman's arm and lays her own gently atop and smiles into his eyes.

She is happy that Delain and Kae have forged an alliance as well and mayhap a new friendship to be built upon. She smiles at her big brother Councilman, "Thank you, General Ka'etil", addressing him formally in the presence of Lord Esserian rather than her usual "big brother" endearment. "I will see you at sunset when we leave for the South", and with that she bids him farewell and departs, heading toward the stables with Delain.


Male Human

"Excellent," he says, leading her down the halls to the stables, his arm tightening against hers as he moves her faster through the halls and away from prying eyes and other concerns.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

She was both nervous and excited at not knowing what Delain had in store for them once they had moved away from the Keep. Please let it be something good, she silently prayed, her heart hammering in her chest. She hurried, keeping pace with him and not stopping for other conversation or concerns.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

GM, do you want me to set the scene up for wherever these two ride to or will you be doing that?


Leave it me - I've been working on other projects, though - and haven't had time to properly write the setting here - or set the scene... I will, soon, though.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Retconned.

Ariarh would have mentioned to Delain in their formal meeting that they were naming their new nation Republic of Praxis, of which Saravale is the capital city.


Male Human

In due time the two of you have reached the stables in the fortress, soon – with your mounts – you are now riding down the long canyon that stretches toward the eastern sky. The trot of your horses on the stone rocks is bone-jarring, for you are riding quickly, and occasionally you notice movement in the frequent checkpoints on the canyon wall that have existed for so long – but are now simply homes for citizens of your growing community.

In time, though – you are free to ride out of the canyon and Delain encourages your horse to a quick trot – then, seeing that you are close to him, gives you a knowing smile, and kicks his horse forward, glancing back to see if you follow him – and, seeing that you do – he encourages you to a race.

The two of you are soon charging east over the plains, rushing back and forth as you dodge through the grasses and simply enjoy the freedom of racing each other and feeling the fresh wind on your faces.

Soon, after roughly 20 minutes of hard riding, Delain checks his horse and encourages you to do the same. You realize that you hardly have any time to do anything – as the council expects you back at the chambers in roughly 40 minutes, even so – the ride was exhilarating and you feel yourself breathless and fairly excited from the rush of adrenaline.

Delain smiles at you – his face equally flushed, and he looks genuinely pleased at your presence with him.

”Well, lady – how did you enjoy the race?” he asks with a grin, his eyes challenging, and his manner somewhat more relaxed then you had ever noticed before.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

If only time were a commodity that could be purchased or spared, she mused privately as she checked her horse on the lord's instruction. She glances over at the nobleman who was breathless, flushed and more handsome than ever and she could not help the blush from elevating the flush already present from the exertion of the ride and the crisp wind. She takes a deep breath and then another and answers his question with a happy smile on her face,

"I enjoyed it very much. It has been some time since I last rode simply for the pure pleasure of it and not for some Council business or faraway quest." She lightly bites at her bottom lip, thoughtful, before continuing, "I had not realised how much I have missed it", giving Tal a sturdy pat on his neck. "My horse appreciated it as well, I can tell. Though mayhap I should not overtire him for it is a long ride to the south. Let us walk for awhile, toward the tree yonder and we can tether the horses and sit and talk."

She slides off her horse with practiced ease and directs him toward the designated place by the tree. Once Delain has settled his own horse and joined her on the log, she continues,

"I shall miss you once you return to Western Brevoy. Your company these past months has been most welcomed", her voice soft and shy all at once. "If all is well in House Esserian and your father gives his blessing upon the alliance between our nations, do you think you shall visit Saravale again and not simply for Esserian business?", she could not help the hopeful longing in her voice and knew he would pick up on it. She was never good at playing coy, never having moved in noble social circles. She could have tried feigning detachment but it would not have made her feel any better or safer. She was sure her heart was shining out from her vivid blue eyes. If he does not feel the same, you will have made a fool of yourself anew, Ariarh, she silently chides herself. But at least I will know, the little internal voice answers back.


Male Human

”Lady – I am my father’s son – as such, everything I do is Essarian business. Even so, there are many things that may tempt me to this place besides business…” he adds with a wry grin.

”It is – sadly – a long journey – and I cannot make the journey so frequent as I like. But, well – there are many things I wish to see here; for your land has many things to attract me.”

”As you are not of Brevoy – you may not know that our land is one of highlands, many cliffs and mountains – there is very little land for horses – yet here, in this land – the plains are vast – and there is much to see and observe that is rare and wonderful.”

”My family’s people is not aligned well to the places of politics or high court – it is not to our taste, and not to mine – even so; I am forced to attend to such matters on a time, to aid the house.”

”Your land – it provides a place to aid my house with such policies – further; there are other things that attract my eye; and indeed - more then just my eye, lady,” he adds with a tender smile.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

This is what court speak must sound like, the circular flavour of saying something but not saying it, she muses privately. It's a wonder they do not need a translator in noble circles, the second thought less tactful, glad Delain could not read her mind.

She approaches her commentary in a reflective way, "An arduous task to be constantly on the road conducting family business. I wonder if you grow lonely ...", letting her words trail off, not believing the nobleman would answer the indirect question.

"Where I am from, the people speak plainly. They are not ignorant folk yet they have no need for noble etiquette and I must admit it is not my way either. So, I ask you to forgive me if I break any social standards as I speak. This land is rare -- frightening and hopeful in the same breath. Its lands are fertile yet work must be done to cultivate crops and breed animals. Hard work never hurt anyone. The cliffs and mountains of your homeland sound lovely, breathtaking in their own way, but I am a horse rancher's daughter and open plains and fields hold a special place in my heart. My parent's home was situated in a valley but the mountains were more rolling hills than towering rock formations." She stops and listens to the wind circling about her, tugging at the loose strands of her fair hair, those which had escaped her single braid during their vigorous ride.

"Your courtly speech can befuddle me at times, Lord Esserian. May I ask what particular things have attracted your eye, and more so, in Saravale?" Her voice is steady, pleasant, a gentle smile on her face.

1 to 50 of 254 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dain's Kingmaker Campaign: Provinces - Ariarh All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.