Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Dain's King Maker Chronicles - Combat Thread

Game Master dain120475

This thread is dedicated to the players involved in Dain's King Maker Chronicles.


1,101 to 1,150 of 1,602 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>

M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:


Spellcraft checks would be awesome - however - you cannot make the Linguistic Rolls unless you first are able to know the base language - Osirion. If you...

I mistunderstood.

I'm going to use my empty second level spell slot to prepare Identify to help with the item identificaiton.

SPellcraft 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (19) + 25 = 44
SPellcraft 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (17) + 25 = 42


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

As Isani is up late she may or may not hear the "Later privately to Galen" conversation spoiler above. She wasnt intended to, but if she did happen to Shaezon wouldn't mind.


Isani Isu wrote:


She spies the little rodent scoot from the brim of the boy's hat and is curious about the creature. His little series of disgruntled squeaks catch her ear. Magic users and their pets. Least the little creature seemed to have common sense.

She hears too Galen's words, reading the difference in his tone and manner and looks at him for a time, determining his sincerity before replying.

Sense Motive on Galen: 1d20+8

Oh, he is being very sincere in apologizing for his error... As to what error he is specifically referring to - that you don't know; you at least have a sense in that respect he may be being deliberately obtuse... Still; he has not lied. He is sorry he made the error.


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Arasmes levels a cool look upon the boy as well during Isani's dressing down of his "theft."

Once alone Arasmes says Well put Isani. It is good that you took care of that now rather than allowing such actions to continue.

Day 1
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

Day 2
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25

:-( no 20's


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Dain GM wrote:


Spellcraft checks would be awesome - however - you cannot make the Linguistic Rolls unless you first are able to know the base language - Osirion. If you...

I mistunderstood.

I'm going to use my empty second level spell slot to prepare Identify to help with the item identificaiton.

SPellcraft 1d20+25
SPellcraft 1d20+25

Oohhh sorry, your target number was “46” – so… oh wait, I kid, I kid…

1. Dagger

The spellcraft roll helps you identify the weapon’s magical properties; but you also glean some basic lore on the weapon. Clearly, it is meant for use for sacrifice, and to assault any good creature.

The dagger seems to be a strange weapon; it is clearly a +2 dagger – however it has 4 unusual properties of note;

1. However it was crafted – and by whatever dark rites were employed – if anyone picks it up with a Neutral alignment, it is merely a +2 dagger; if anyone with an Evil alignment picks it up – it remains a +2 dagger, but gains the power of Bane against any creature that is Good aligned – in other words the dagger’s full damage against a “Good Aligned” creature is +3 to hit and damage, with a +2d6 damage on top of it; standard Bane Rules – only against all Good Aligned creatures, and only if it is used by an being with an Evil Alignment).

2. Any Good aligned creature who handles the weapon directly must take 1d6 damage for each round they touch the weapon.

3. If a good aligned creature is carrying the weapon on their person – they are at a -1 to all Stat Modifiers while the weapon is on their person.

4. Anyone who uses the dagger may wield it as a Holy Symbol – but the symbol is not aligned to any god that either you or Galen may have heard of.

You may get lucky if you have a combined total of Knowledge: Religion, and Knowledge: History to solve what god this religious symbol is for. The total you’ll need, however – is 60. To succeed, you’ll need someone with a knowledge of History and Religion – when they make their rolls in both subjects, if you all work together – they can add their total. So, for example – if Galen were to get a 30 in Knowledge History – (he does have a +10) – and Isani had a 30 in Knowledge Religion – then you could add those 2 scores together for your total of 60. It should be noted – in this case you can Aid their checks, and they can Aid each others. So if you added your own 2 cents, and were successful in your aid checks – both Galen and Isani could pick up a +2 to each of their rolls. And Galen could Aid Isani in her Knowledge: Religion Roll, and she could aid him in his Knowledge; History roll. Of course – this assumes you want Galen to roll Knowledge: History. There may be others better qualified for it. Also – you have plenty of time to do this both “today” (in game) – and the journey home.

2. Crystal Ball

A surprise here – this is almost identical to the standard Crystal Ball from the book (retail price 42,000 GP – but yeah, it’s not as good, as you’re going to see).

This Crystal Ball functions much like a standard one – only its power is very limited. Firstly; it seems to be part of a set of Crystal Balls – how many, you are not sure.

Anyone who uses the crystal will immediately be able to see the area around any of one of other Crystals – as if they were standing in the same room as the Crystal. As for which one - that depends on which one you select - you don't know how to choose a different crystal though.

But it only lets you communicate your Perception ability through the crystal - though it is two ways. In other words; if someone locked one of the other Crystal Balls in a chest – you’d just be able to see a dark chest from the inside. If someone placed another of the Crystal Ball’s on top of a tall pillar – you could see in every direction from that Ball – as far as your standard Perception roll allows to normally see. Only your point of origin for Perception would be on top of the very large pillar.

You can rotate between Crystals with the command word - which you now know.

No doubt, if you possessed at least one more of these items – you would have a great advantage – for you could use one of them as a sort of “Magical Telephone” between at least two of the Crystals.

There are some other advantages/drawbacks to this Crystal Ball.

1. Anyone who uses the Crystal – between Crystal A and B – there is clearly a magical aura which will glow, and allow anyone to know that both Crystals are currently being used. So, in other words – if you were to use the Crystal – it would glow in a 30 foot radius with magical energy – and so would the other Crystal that is being “called”. This means you cannot “subtly” try to open a window between here and another crystal. If anyone is standing around the crystal you're calling – they’ll know it is being used.

2. Only someone who speaks the actual command word can “activate” the Crystal – but that doesn’t mean someone who doesn’t have the command word cannot use the Crystal. In other words – only someone who knows the command word can open the process to see between 2 Crystals, but everyone around both Crystals can use it. So, in other words, if you opened a link between Crystal A and Crystal B – everyone surrounding you by Crystal A could be seen, and heard – just as everyone surrounding the person near Crystal B could be seen and heard – Isani, Galen, Param, all of them could be seen, and heard – and, if any of them were looking into the Crystal – they could see everyone on the other side too.

To be clear - if you opened a link between this crystal - and one that Ariarh may have at the fortress - you could see everything around her crystal in a 360 degree radius for 30 feet - unless there was something in your way, like a wall. If Galen or Isani wanted to see Ariarh at the fortress, though - they would need to gather around your crystal (that is - be at least 5 feet from it - this is not a "star trek viewscreen").

Ariarh, and everyone around her - would be in the same predicament though, if they wanted to see you. If she was in the room with Brett - you could hear Brett, and see him - but he couldn't see you, unless he moved up to look into the crystal with Ariarh.

You do not need to be a spellcaster to you use this crystal - only know the word of command - which you currently know.

You doubt very much that anyone could have used the Crystal to spy on you, because, for that to happen – the crystal would have to be “activated” – and you would all have seen a 30 foot radius of magical light around the Crystal. This has not happened.

Final note on the Crystal – If you use the Crystal to find out where the other crystals in the set are – you may get lucky. No one may be standing by another Crystal – and even if they are – they will not be able to see you, unless they move to 5 feet from the Crystal and look inside. They can certainly tell you opened a link with their Crystal, though – and may choose to report it, if they see the magical glow of light.

And of course - if you hide the Crystal under robes and blankets, no one who uses it to search for you will be able to see you, or hear you – depending on how well you muffle the crystal with a cloak. Remember – all it formally does is allow someone to have a basic Perception check in a 360 degree radius from another Crystal – you can hear, smell, see and speak through the Crystals – but you cannot know where they each are – unless you recognize the place. You also cannot “Cast” through the Crystal – there is no magical gate opened – unless the person is in range of a spell naturally – they are not effected by a spell you try to “Cast” through the Crystal.

FYI – if you are able to gain a total of Knowledge: Arcana - 35 you can determine something very valuable of note with the crystals. I should add – this skill can be aided. Also – a Knowledge: History – 30 can also help you, if you succeed in the Knowledge: History – you may add +5 to your Knowledge: Arcana roll to find out the useful information. Anyone around you can help you in this endevour – if they have Knowledge: Arcana. However – Knowledge: History is more localized in this case. Only someone who was born in the northlands can aid you in your Knowledge: History Check. But, even then, if you get the total of 30 in History – it will give you the +5 to Arcana – but, depending on Arasmes, Isani, and possibly Kae – their aid may help you.

I should note – I will not roll for Arasmes, Kae, and Isani – they’re out and about, but they should all be back in the next few days. They can add their aid checks as needed – I believe that Isani is out of town for today, but I am sure she won’t mind ret-conning the Aid roll when she gets back, but I know Arasmes is around – and I suspect Kae will be back later tonight. When we see them all together – if they like – Kae can add Knowledge: History to Aid you, if he has it, and all of them can Aid with Knowledge: Acrana – if they have it – but you still need that total of Knowledge: Arcana 35 for the Really Useful Information.


To Shaezon

Galen examines the items for a moment, pondering their nature.

He shall only make this statement if you told him what you discover – though it is likely, as he did aid you in Spellcraft. Also – after being informed that we are all functioning as a “team” – he will say this out loud – unless you would have suggested that he shares nothing magical with the group at all. In which case, he defers to your orders. Otherwise – he makes the following statement aloud in front of the others.

”It seems quite clear that this dagger is used by people aligned to evil causes. This suggests a religious connotation on the weapon – magic itself is neutral – there is no “good” or “evil” magic, any more then “good” or “evil” fire. It merely is – however, there are some gods in the universe that are filled with what is known as “evil” intentions. I suspect this dagger is aligned to such a god – or goddess – though I am not certain on the true nature of it. It is a southern weapon – and I have never seen the like of such a religions symbol, but it does seem to look like one – but I do not know what god; or, I suppose I should say – what goddess, also, for there are evil gods and goddesses.”

”But it may be a symbol to a false deity – or perhaps a cultist – or, perchance – a demi-god, a mortal who has assumed god-like powers? If this is so, then it is possible that is why the symbol is not easily identified. Still – it does have evidence of southern types. Those from the south would better able to answer this riddle, I should guess.”

Isani and Arasmes – if you are around – presuming Shaezon allowed this conversation in your presence – you could tell he is not being sarcastic. Basically – no matter how high your ranks are in certain skills – there are massive penalties/disadvantages to use certain knowledge skills if the root of the information has literally come from over half-way around the world. Galen is being logical, not baiting – he knows his limitations – and suspects that southerners with ranks in Knowledge skills equal to his, or less – may be able to solve the mystery better then anyone from the north.

Turning to Isani, he speaks directly to her – but in a very polite tone, not rude, merely matter of fact.

”As a priestess – you are likely to possess the spells which unlock the knowledge of whether a thing or person is judged by the gods to be “good” or “evil”. While it seems quite logical this dagger is of evil nature – I wonder on the Crystal. Is it possible to examine the Crystal with this spell – if not now – then perhaps in the morning on our return trip? If you will not suffer “Evil” items to stay in these lands, without destroying them – this is the privilege of those who make the laws. Still – this Crystal seems very valuable and – potentially – very useful. If it is not evil – well, it may be very helpful to the nation; and the people. But of course, to learn the truth of it, the spell would be very helpful,” he adds.

Isani – Galen is specifically referring to the spell Detect Evil or Detect Good. Both can be useful – but it is likely that Sense Alignment – which does not last as long as Detect Evil is probably the best choice for it. It gives you a lot more information then Detect Evil – but Sense Alignment only lasts 1 minute per caster level – instead of 10. Still – if you are only using it for determining some important information regarding the magical items – you only need to use maybe a minute or 2 anyway.

Assuming Shaezon allowed this conversation between you - Isani - you are free to answer it. It's pretty much if Shaezon allows the conversation is all.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

The conversation can be out in the open. NO issues with that.

At first opportunity Shaezon will attempt to contact the other crystals tied to this one. He will put on a black hood with just his eyes showing and will have a thick cloth readily available to throw over the device should he need to.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

So we need enough people to roll arcana and history until it reaches 35 and and 30 respectively, right?
Arcana 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 19
History 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:

So we need enough people to roll arcana and history until it reaches 35 and and 30 respectively, right?

Arcana 1d20+13
History 1d20+8

Not quite - you need a total of Knowledge: Arcana - 35. But this applies only to the Crystal.

You currently have a 19. This was pretty low - you can have people aid you, with a standard Aid Check.

You would normally need a 35 - but if someone with Knowledge: History can get a total of 30 (they need to have Knowledge: History - and come from the north - i.e. not Isani and/or Arasmes) - if someone can get a History Check of 30 - you can subtract 5 from the difficulty Knowledge: Arcana.

In other word - if Galen - aided with you and Kae got a Knowledge: History of 30 or more - then you only need a total of Knowledge: Arcana at 30, instead of 35.

But, you're in a it of a bind, for now. Even if Kae, Arasmes, Isani and Galen all succeed in their ability to aid your Knowledge: Arcana - you can only add + 8 to your total. Which, by the way, is only 27.

Galen is going to attempt to roll his Knowledge: Arcana as an Aid.

Normally I would not allow you to roll again - but you can, instead - "swap out" your total roll for an "Aid Check" to someone who deos better then you.

Quick Question: I know you said you wanted to use the Crystal as you suggest "as soon as possible" - are you still planning on doing this before you gain the full knowledge of if the Crystal is Good/Evil - and the full power of the Crystal is revealed?

Just let me know and we can go from there.

One other thing: The other knowledge rolls were for the value of the dagger.

Do you want me to roll for Galen, or would you like to?

Remember - Galen can do the following -

1. For the dagger - roll a Knowledge: History and Religion - combined total of 60.

2. For the Crystal - roll a Knowledge: Arcana for a total of 35. If someone from the north gets a total of 30 in Knowledge; History, your DC for Knowledge: Arcana goes down by 5 points.

Okay - if you want - you can have Galen aid you - or you can swap it out to aid Galen. Your call - let me know if you want to roll - or have me roll for him.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Kae's got K(arcana), and no history. It could make sense to try this again at Saravale, cause we'd have Ry and Brett with K(history) to boost that roll, and some extra arcana juice...

although we may get lucky right now...
arcana
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

"Be careful about playing with that Crystal. The rest of us Should not be visible and we had best remain silent. I would also suggest wearing the Ifrit's cloak, as to avoid alerting anyone who looks at them too early of your actions" Kae suggests to Shaezon, with a humble nod.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

I'll be aiding another.


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
I'll be aiding another.

Very good - in which case you succeed in your Aid Another check - meaning Kae now has a 29 - Galen will attempt to help - and add his Knowledge: History to the Roll -

Knowledge: History
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

Knowledge: Arcana
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

He has now bumped you to a 31 for Arcana - FYI - if one Northerner can "Aid Galen" - he will have a 30 in Knowledge History - dropping your total DC to 30 - which means you can succeed right now.

Is anyone interested in discovering more on the dagger?


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Kae doesn't have K(history) but here's a dry int roll...
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Can we keep this "information" for when we get to Saravale? so once we have Ry we can finish up the rolls, and get it?


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

Kae doesn't have K(history) but here's a dry int roll...

1d20+2
Can we keep this "information" for when we get to Saravale? so once we have Ry we can finish up the rolls, and get it?

You will not be able to keep the rolls at Saravale - but you will be able to roll again from scratch - when you get there.

FYI - it may be that Shaezon has knowledge history - failing that - if Arasmes and Isani can both make successful Aid Checks - then you will have a total of 35 Arcana - when they toss up their posts - we can go from there.


Male commoner 1

Cool, i can toss up something for Isani, and she's not gonna be around for a while?

isani's roll:

arcana:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

lol, there was that 20...


waiph wrote:

Cool, i can toss up something for Isani, and she's not gonna be around for a while?

** spoiler omitted **
lol, there was that 20...

Hmm... if Isani will allow the roll then I will say her Natural Twenty will give you the knowledge - but you will need to know if Isani will allow it - meanwhile; I will tell you more details on what you discover when I get home.


Male commoner 1

i was tossing the roll for expedience sake, to try to get the knowledge before the end of the weekend. thought Isani was out till sunday... can try to check via email?


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

My Sunday (which is Saturday in the Northern Hemisphere). lol Which means I was only going to miss posting for a day.

I shall allow Waiph's Arcana roll on behalf of Isani. ;)


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Isani is a Southerner but she will try to aid Galen in Knowledge, History: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3
Dain GM wrote:

Turning to Isani, he speaks directly to her – but in a very polite tone, not rude, merely matter of fact.

”As a priestess – you are likely to possess the spells which unlock the knowledge of whether a thing or person is judged by the gods to be “good” or “evil”. While it seems quite logical this dagger is of evil nature – I wonder on the Crystal. Is it possible to examine the Crystal with this spell – if not now – then perhaps in the morning on our return trip? If you will not suffer “Evil” items to stay in these lands, without destroying them – this is the privilege of those who make the laws. Still – this Crystal seems very valuable and – potentially – very useful. If it is not evil – well, it may be very helpful to the nation; and the people. But of course, to learn the truth of it, the spell would be very helpful,” he adds.

Isani – Galen is specifically referring to the spell Detect Evil or Detect Good. Both can be useful – but it is likely that Sense Alignment – which does not last as long as Detect Evil is probably the best choice for it. It gives you a lot more information then Detect Evil – but Sense Alignment only lasts 1 minute per caster level – instead of 10. Still – if you are only using it for determining some important information regarding the magical items – you only need to use maybe a minute or 2 anyway.

"It is sensible to discover the true nature of these objects. I do know of two such spells to help discover what you seek, young apprentice. I have not prepared them this day. Upon dawn tomorrow, after an hour in silent contemplation with my goddess and giving praising to the Sun, I will have prepared the appropriate spell and then I will cast it and look at the Crystal." Detect Evil lasts for 30 mins and Sense Alignement (Detection) for 3 mins on Isani's current level as a cleric.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:
Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

Kae doesn't have K(history) but here's a dry int roll...

1d20+2
Can we keep this "information" for when we get to Saravale? so once we have Ry we can finish up the rolls, and get it?

You will not be able to keep the rolls at Saravale - but you will be able to roll again from scratch - when you get there.

FYI - it may be that Shaezon has knowledge history - failing that - if Arasmes and Isani can both make successful Aid Checks - then you will have a total of 35 Arcana - when they toss up their posts - we can go from there.

Shaezon has all the knowledges. ;-)

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:

Arasmes levels a cool look upon the boy as well during Isani's dressing down of his "theft."

Once alone Arasmes says Well put Isani. It is good that you took care of that now rather than allowing such actions to continue.

In a soft spoken, deeply accented voice, replying in Osiriani to maintain a sense of privacy between them,

Isani & Arasmes' conversation in their native tongue:
"The boy requires consistent guidance. His manner is much like any child's where he speaks first and thinks second. I was trying to instill some common sense, some respect in all things and not only in what he believes is important and worthy of his magic ability. Humility should not be a forgotten quality. Truly, his actions were deceitful and then his silence to the theft most artful. He may possess a certain level of intelligence, it is there in his ability, yet I would see him temper and hone it with wisdom. A finer combination. I would not see him spiral toward evil because of his arrogance and ignorance. I hope his Teacher minds him well. I will discreetly follow young Galen's progress."


Male commoner 1

time differences are confusing...


Knowledge About the Crystal

This crystal is part of a set – it is said that 9 were made in elder days by powerful Magi. They were created for the purposes of great and noble lords of an ancient empire, long since destroyed, to communicate with each other at long distances.

It is said that in the elder days – nearly a thousand years ago – the crystals were placed in mighty places of power throughout the breath of the kingdom. Each of the 8 was placed in the borders of the empire. The final stone – the 9th – this was placed in the center of the lands. Whoever controlled that stone could survey all others at the same time.

The stone itself has other powers besides – it is said.

Each stone can be used as a “Scrying Spell” – the range of the Scrying power is, theoretically, limitless. But it cannot be used by the weak-minded, at least – not successfully.

Other then the basic command word – whoever seeks to use the stone as a Scrying Crystal must make a Willpower Roll – the Difficulty is equal to 15 + 1, per mile of range.

In other words – if you wish to Scry something 1 mile away – the Willpower Save is DC 15 – 2 miles away is DC 16, and so on.

For each “Round” the person uses the stone to “Scry” (as per the spell) – they must continue to make their Willpower Saves each round. Failure breaks the connection – but in any case, when performing this action – every round the crystal is used to Scry drains 1d6 HP, subdual – from the person attempting to Scry, until they break the connection – or fall unconscious.

The power of the stone to Scry is a spell-like ability, but other then the required saves and penalties – the stone can be used at will.

Of course – anyone can use the stone via the two-way “Perception” check – provided they speak the command word. The second command word merely allows the speaker to “scrolls” to the next stone.

It takes a full round action to activate the stone’s powers – and a full round action to maintain any of the powers.


Galen has observed the countless back and forth with the stone – he is somewhat interested in it – but grows a bit bored by the proceedings.

While waiting for the other to return from their forays – he moves to the larger of the two chests. It is not locked, and no traps were found on it – so, shrugging, he opens it up.

”Hmph,” he says, making an appreciated grunt at what he sees inside.

”Well – that’s interesting,” he adds.

If anyone is actually planning on looking inside the unlocked chest, without traps – that you hauled from the cave, which Galen bother to look into – please let me know – and I will tell you what is inside.

Meanwhile – was anyone trying to use Knowledge skills on the Dagger, or was it just the crystal?


Isani Isu wrote:
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:

Arasmes levels a cool look upon the boy as well during Isani's dressing down of his "theft."

Once alone Arasmes says Well put Isani. It is good that you took care of that now rather than allowing such actions to continue.

In a soft spoken, deeply accented voice, replying in Osiriani to maintain a sense of privacy between them,

** spoiler omitted **

To Isani –

No worries about the spell in the morning – I figured you’d cast the spells on the way home, as you have a two day ride. Meanwhile – the translations from the book will be tossed on the board soon – working on writing them now.

Unless you prefer seeing the book privately - in which case I will email it to you directly - and you can share the information as you like. Just let me know!


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Shae and mister will check out the chests


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Isani would like to view the information privately -- please email. When did Mister return to Shaezon? I can't recall a posting in regard to that. Did I miss it?


Male commoner 1

Kae strolls over to Galen, who's looking in the larger chest.

After observing what's in that, he takes a look at the smaller, and sees if it's locked.
disable device
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
for if it is locked. You said that i didn't find traps on either, right?


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Re: Mister. If the group is still tracking he's with them. I'm a bit confused I think.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

So, in the above posting you meant to say Shae and Galen will check out the chests? Because you wrote Mister. ;)


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Isani Isu wrote:
So, in the above posting you meant to say Shae and Galen will check out the chests? Because you wrote Mister. ;)

Sure


Inside larger chest

You notice the chest is divided into several small compartments. The compartments are soft, and padded with some fabric – but there is row after row of small bottles in it. Each bottle looks like it holds a gray, milky liquid.

In addition to this – there are small wooden boxes. When they are open you see what looks like a small waxy ball. The ball looks like it is made of pressed gum of some sort.

There are 200 small bottles.

There are 20 of these “waxy balls”. Each ball, if you heft in your hand – weighs about 8 ounces.

The majority of the weight in this chest is made up of the padding around the glass bottles and the flat wood around the waxy balls.

Inside the small chest

There is not much inside this chest – merely neatly arranged stacks of coins.

There are multiple rolls of coins that are bundled in rolls of some type of unusual parchment – Both Isani and Arasmes would recognize this “parchment” as papyrus – . Each “roll” is filled with ten coins of equal denominations.

There is a roll of 10 Copper, 10 Silver, 10 Bronze coins, 10 Gold coins, 10 Platinum coins.

There are 10 rolls of each denomination (in other words, 100 copper, 100 silver – and so on).

This is not much money – but you have a hunch that is for the purpose of trade. It is likely that someone else has the real money. On close inspection you notice with some frustration that any marking on the coin to identify where it came from has been flattened out. Someone has taken great pains to obfuscate their tracks…


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Isani & Arasmes in Osirian:
I could not agree more. I hope a firm hand is kept.

Near the chests Does anyone have any idea what the bottles or wax spheres might be?


Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Near the chests Does anyone have any idea what the bottles or wax spheres might be?

A Knowledge: Nature check may reveal more - possibly a Survival or Healing check, too - depending.

Meanwhile - time to pick up the pace!


Fast Forward –

Your party has gone forward. To expedite the process – here is what happened.

1. Laz

Laz went on a mission to hunt down the men to the west. She determined to bring down the horses first. She was successful in killing both horses, but the riders used them for cover to fire arrows at Laz.

Laz suffered some damage would can easily be healed back at camp – but managed to kill both men fairly easily.

Laz was able to collect the following from the dead men;

2 Masterwork Breastplates
2 Masterwork Scimitars
Composite Longbows – with a Strength Modifier Potential of +3.
27 arrows
2 pouches with fingernail sheaths – which are covered in a strange ooze
2 bedrolls, 6 days of rations, 2 waterskins – and a total of 47 GP – 23 Bronze Pieces – and 27 Silver Pieces.

2. Khromm and Garith

They were able to have the same results as mentioned before – but they were also able to bring in the horses of their man.

Six baggage horses were found – all they had was basic gear for food and shelter.

They now have a total of 6 horses, 3 Heavy Warhorses – and the same gear that was found on the men that Laz had brought down.

The men to the south – Khromm was able to track them – he dealt with one man, killing him, and taking his horse too.

The second man’s horse was found – on close examination of the ground – Khromm was baffled at the tracks – the robed figure seemed to have run off somewhere to the south for about 50 feet – then his tracks simply disappeared – as if by magic.

Khromm suggests this person is likely to be a spellcaster – and has used magic to flee tracking.

As neither Khromm or Garith can fly, or use magic – they are unable to discover where this person is. It takes them a total of 2 hours to bring all the gear back to camp – by that time – it has been at least 2 hours before they can take anyone to the point that the tracks were last seen.

This last robed man is long gone by now.

You now have your gear and are free to return to the southlands.

Yeah - let's move out - anyone who wants to use Knowledge Skills on the way home, just toss up the roll and we'll go from there. It's time to get the groups back together - so sum up your plans, put 'em on the board - and we're getting the band back together. Just let me know what you're planning on doing on the way home.


Male Half-dwarf - also known as a "Mul" Gladiator... and others... 6th level

Khromm looks over the total gear and nods appreciatively – especially after hearing the use of the crystal. But his interest seems to be more professional then curious for their use.

”That’s fine – how much is it? I want to know what my cut is – not to mention the cut of the usual nonsense; the weapons, the gear, the horses; and the value of the crystal, those little white potions, those waxy balls, and the value of that witchy looking dagger. If there’s a use to it – there’s a price for it. Good - I want my cut of it,” he adds, in a polite but unshakeable voice.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Having drawn closer to the open chests as Arasmes had, she leans in and tries to determine the contents of the bottles and the nature of the waxy balls.

Knowledge, Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
If necessary ---> Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 and
Heal: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Regarding the evil dagger Galen referenced earlier, she takes a closer look at it (but does not touch it), noting the information it could be used as a holy symbol. She thinks back on her studies of ancient text and lore to determine which god it could be aligned to or its purpose.

Knowledge, Religion : 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
Knowledge, History : 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Isani Isu wrote:

Having drawn closer to the open chests as Arasmes had, she leans in and tries to determine the contents of the bottles and the nature of the waxy balls.

Knowledge, Nature: 1d20+8
If necessary ---> Survival: 1d20+5 and
Heal: 1d20+10

Solving this mystery is easy, once you work backward.

The "waxy balls" - aren't actually made of wax, though they look like it.

There is a type of flower; the flower has heavy sap in it. A farmer, if he makes an incision in the bulb of the flower, the sap will ooze out. Once the sap oozes out, it will dry on the petal of the flower.

If the farmer then scrapes off the dried sap, they can mold the sap together; not unlike this wax-like bulb.

The type of flower used for this process is the poppy.

The lump of dried sap is then dried poppy sap - which is a base for opiate. This would mean that, likely, the little glass bottles are filled with similar agents.

You believe that the sap, if dried out and boiled with water; almost like a tea - can be drank by a person. This heavy concentration of the agent will radically effect the brain in a powerful way.

You believe that the chemical in the glass bottle is called "laudanum". It can be used for medicinal properties - but it is powerfully addictive.

The waxy material is a base for a powerful narcotic - it can be smoked in an opium pipe - or can be used for more potent effects.

These chemicals are certainly very valuable - and very expensive - though they may not have the most reputable nature. But to a healer they can have some modest use, and a modest cost - but to a full fledged addict? They can be sold at great price indeed.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Isani Isu wrote:

Regarding the evil dagger Galen referenced earlier, she takes a closer look at it (but does not touch it), noting the information it could be used as a holy symbol. She thinks back on her studies of ancient text and lore to determine which god it could be aligned to or its purpose.

Knowledge, Religion : 1d20+10
Knowledge, History : ad20+9

For this you will need a combined total of 60 - if others are willing to help you - it may go high enough.

For now - when you are able to cast the spell - you will be able to detect this at least (I can give you more information after I see what spell you choose - but this information is obvious with the base spell).

The crystal is neither good nor evil - it is a neutral item - a simple tool.

The dagger is assuredly evil - and very powerfully evil. Anyone who touches the dagger that is "good aligned" suffers 1d6 damage. As long as they carry the dagger on their person - all of their Stats Modifiers are at a -1.

There are special bonuses to those who use the weapon that are Evil Aligned - more can be deduced later - especially if you confer with Shaezon - but the nature of the weapon is - at least - evil. More then that you can tell, depending on the spell.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Near the chests Does anyone have any idea what the bottles or wax spheres might be?

Answering the Foreign Ambassador in Common so any close enough can hear her words also,

"It is not wax, Mister ibn'Fayad, but a clever ruse or mode of transport for raw narcotics. Firstly, the bottles contain laudanum and for those not knowledgeable in the healing craft, it is a bitter concoction useful for medicinal purposes such as alleviating pain or causing a person to retch thus aiding in the expulsion of toxins and so forth from the system. However, laudanum is highly addictive if unmonitored and taken regularly. It can bring in a fair price when sold to healers but if it is canvassed to extreme addicts then it can bring in a great sum of coin,"she pauses for a moment, allowing the listeners time to digest the information. "The waxy balls, as Mister ibn'Fayad has called them, are in fact the dried sap of the poppy flower. I will explain. If a fine incision is made into a fresh, swollen poppy flower, the abundant sap will seep out and dry on the outer petals of the flower. The dried sap can then be scraped off and molded together into a ball as you see, here. This lump of dried sap, or dried poppy sap, is used as a base for opiates. If the sap is dried out and boiled in water, it can be drunk as a "tea", and if the concentration is heavy enough the poppy sap will effect the brain quite powerfully. My companions, I believe we have found the shipment we are seeking but not in the form we were expecting."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half-dwarf - also known as a "Mul" Gladiator... and others... 6th level

"Good - so how much is the value of one of these balls of sap? While I'm at it - how much is one of the vials of that liquid worth?"

That's a tricky answer - it depends on the legality of the commodity. If the council had voted to outlaw the narcotics - the price could be through the roof; as all black market goods are - but if the Council permits the drug to be sold freely - without the massive inflation of blak market - one 8 ounce ball of the poppy sap generally runs for about 5,000 gold pieces. This is because 1/10 of an ounce is needed to produce one "dose" - and generally one "dose" is about 65 gold pieces. But remember - this price is much higher if it is illegal; which it often is. However - that decision, on whether or not it is illegal - is up to the Council - but what you share with Khromm is, of course - up to you.

Also - this is generally the method of transporting the opium sap - in small spheres or lumps which are typically stored in teak boxes - would, so the sap can "breathe"; but insulated from anything else with strong smell - so it would not be corrupted or weakened by the smells of other things. Foul smells can dilute the potency of the drug - it needs to be somewhat fresh to stay potent.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

After having successfully decoded the journal and written a translation in Common for the Council, she wraps the parchment in linen for safe keeping and places in her backpack (ensuring she is not watched, especially by young Galen who is light of fingers). She would present the translation to the Council upon her party's return to Saravale. The information contained within could be quite enlightening to the Northerners and their allies. She had questions but they could wait until she could gain audience with the lady druid and her young silver-haired ward.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3
Dain GM wrote:

"Good - so how much is the value of one of these balls of sap? While I'm at it - how much is one of the vials of that liquid worth?"

That's a tricky answer - it depends on the legality of the commodity. If the council had voted to outlaw the narcotics - the price could be through the roof; as all black market goods are - but if the Council permits the drug to be sold freely - without the massive inflation of blak market - one 8 ounce ball of the poppy sap generally runs for about 5,000 gold pieces. This is because 1/10 of an ounce is needed to produce one "dose" - and generally one "dose" is about 65 gold pieces. But remember - this price is much higher if it is illegal; which it often is. However - that decision, on whether or not it is illegal - is up to the Council - but what you share with Khromm is, of course - up to you.

"Mister Khromm, such narcotics are generally more valuable when their sale and distribution is against the common law. Black Markets are a hive of activity and wealth. From what little I have heard of the capital, Saravale is a good town and I can presume there would be laws against such trade. Yet, only the Council can confirm their stance on the legality or otherwise of this commodity within their city and land. You, I and the other Southerners are presently guests in their town and it is not our place to contradict or to interfere with their laws and practices."


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

"I'm no financier, but the price will have to do with what we can make off the seized product, and so you'll be paid based on the value of medical grade opiates, as well as the gear, and animals, of course. We will have these items valued properly as soon as possible to ensure your take is not under-valued." Kae tells Khromm
diplomacy
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

arcana
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
for the dagger


Dain GM wrote:
As neither Khromm or Garith can fly, or use magic – they are unable to discover where this person is. It takes them a total of 2 hours to bring all the gear back to camp – by that time – it has been at least 2 hours before they can take anyone to the point that the tracks were last seen.

Mister was with them and watching the guy from the air. He may have seen something.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

"All I ask is my fair share of whatever we get from all this sans the cost of whatever amount of the painkiller that a 'cutter' will use to remove the treant shard from my lung."

I've totally lost track of the finances since Shaezon came onboard. Whenever we have a number just let me know what that is please.


Mister wrote:
Dain GM wrote:
As neither Khromm or Garith can fly, or use magic – they are unable to discover where this person is. It takes them a total of 2 hours to bring all the gear back to camp – by that time – it has been at least 2 hours before they can take anyone to the point that the tracks were last seen.
Mister was with them and watching the guy from the air. He may have seen something.

Sadly - he didn't.

The horses rode hard and fast south - then split three ways - two riders to the west - one rider to the east - and two riders south.

Laz went after the two to the west - Khromm followed Garith to the east - and met the one rider; a simple mercenary they killed, then they doubled back and went after the guys to the south - which would have taken time to find their initial tracks and pursue - after which, they caught up to another mercenary - killed him - and found two horses; which they took.

You do believe the second horse to the south belongs to the second robed man - as the saddles is fairly comfortable and ornate - but Mister would have either been with Khromm/Garith - or with Laz - and as Garith wanted to go to the east - he would not have been near enough to see the two in the south.


Male Half-dwarf - also known as a "Mul" Gladiator... and others... 6th level

Khromm looks from Isani - then back to Kae.

"Well - if you're some sort of authority figure - then what you say is law," he says bluntly to Kae.

"Good, let's make it easy, then. For now it seems that the best thing is to just give me the ten percent of raw materials - I can sell it for whatever I can get. I'm supposed to get 10 percent - that's the deal. Fine - you have two magical items of value - I'll take my cut of their value after the sale - as for the rest? It's all divided up pretty neat - I can take my 10 percent of the dreaming drug - or whatever you people call poppy potions up here - one of each of those stacks of coin, since there's 10 stacks of each type - and as for all the rest of the other material - we can sell that in town, gather up the coin - and I'll just take my cut of it then," he adds in a flat voice.

"I can be patient on the value of the magic items - but it will speed things up a lot if you just give me the 10 percent of the potions and the poppy sap now. Who knows - maybe I can get a better deal then you - or maybe you'll get a better deal then me - depending on how you bargain - you may actually do better then I do with regards to selling the drug; and I may be out of luck when it comes to the coin."

Khromm seems to be suggesting that if you sell the drug yourself, you may be able to get a much better price then he would if he sold it alone - in which case - by giving only the drug, instead of the coin itself - you are actually doing yourself a favor since you don't have to pay him the coin up front. Despite the fact that he states this as a demand - not requests - and his somewhat blunt and rude manner - you have a sense that he is somewhat moved by Kae's speech - and is, surprisingly - genuinely trying to be magnanimous by pointing out to him what seems like a reasonable deal. Whether you agree with him or not - he will just have to see...

1,101 to 1,150 of 1,602 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dain's King Maker Chronicles - Combat Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.