Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Dain's King Maker Chronicles - Combat Thread

Game Master dain120475

This thread is dedicated to the players involved in Dain's King Maker Chronicles.


551 to 600 of 1,602 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>

Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

I have painters working in my house and other tradespeople coming and going for the next two weeks (one week down thankfully!). I am unable to do any Skype/Maptools battles during this time as my computers are all over the place and I'm project managing this refurb. Sorry. I can post on the board, however.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:

Galen is currently trotting along next to Shaezon - you notice that at this time he is wearing a black, wide-brimmed hat - which you would guess is to protect him from the elements.

Certainly it will keep the sun from beating down on him - and it will also protect him from heavy rains, if any come. And you also notice a very ornate hat band around it.

You are forced to do a double take, then - and notice that the hatband near the front has a small box-like structure affixed to the front of it - and though you presumed it was a clever way of holding extra gear, such as spell components and such - now you see you are wrong!

The box itself is only three inches, two inches deep and two inches tall.

Now you can see that this "box" opens up; there seems to be some sort of little door - and out of this doorway Param peeps out, glances around, then scurries forward and sits on the brim of the hat - now able to watch everything safely and comfortably as Galen rides under him.

At this time, Galen turns to Shaezon, and looks over at the elf from his horse.

"Begging your pardon Master - do you think we'll see much action?" he asks, and you can hear in his voice both a bit of nervousness - and a touch of excitement for what is shaping up to be a bit of an adventure - certainly more exciting then copying scrolls!

"Perhaps," Shaezon replies, "Lets hope not. Clever hat, by the way."


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

"Not see action? Shaezon, Galen, that is precisely our errand. Our objective is the seize the drugs these Black Koda are bringing into our fair city. That is our errand, so action we shall see. But it is an ambush that we plot, so unless they are running much ahead, we shall have time to plan and prepare." Ka'etil tells the mages with a smile, cantering up to them on Konur. "May i present Sir Garith Mordrand, Commander of Saravale's cavalry!"

Kae has all his normal gear, as well as a lance that he picked up, still sporting his long cloak hanging over the side of his mount.

Taldor

Angelkin Aasimar SS 6/G 1 HP:61/61 | AC:21+1 | CMD: 20 | F:10/R:8/W:6

Sir Garith is a powerfully built Taldan man with short red hair and a warms sort of look to him. "Greatings, these are my men," he says motioning to 4 riders behind him. "We will be accompanying you on this mission, providing what support we can, and assisting in returning the seized goods."


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

From her close range, she overhears the half-elf councilman introducing the cavalry man to the wizard and his young apprentice.

She takes in all of Garith Mordrand, from his powerful build to his russet hair and cordial greeting. Since formal introductions were not made between the officer and herself, she remains courteously silent and continues riding, keeping pace with the others in front of her, not giving them a reason to regret her inclusion on this quest.


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

"Not see action? Shaezon, Galen, that is precisely our errand. Our objective is the seize the drugs these Black Koda are bringing into our fair city. That is our errand, so action we shall see. But it is an ambush that we plot, so unless they are running much ahead, we shall have time to plan and prepare." Ka'etil tells the mages with a smile, cantering up to them on Konur. "May i present Sir Garith Mordrand, Commander of Saravale's cavalry!"

Kae has all his normal gear, as well as a lance that he picked up, still sporting his long cloak hanging over the side of his mount.

"Excellent..." Galen says softly, his eyes narrowing and the hint of a strange smile on his lips at the chance for some "action".

Meanwhile - Param - upon hearing your words - squeaks, then runs back inside the little box on the hat band.


Male Half-dwarf - also known as a "Mul" Gladiator... and others... 6th level

Khromm turns and sees the humans - his eyes narrowing as he looks them over, then turns to look at Kae.

"One tenth of the treasure is one tenth of the total portion, half-elf," he adds, his eyes narrowing somewhat.

Khromm has had enough dealing with half-elves in the southlands to remember 2 basic facts.

1. Desert Elves are one of the most distrusted of races - they are naturally nomadic with an inherent wanderlust - a fierce sense of tribal loyalty that binds families together and excludes anyone from the tribe by necessity of survival - excepting of course when business is afoot - in which case their ruthless desire to live is translated from sword play into business haggling - and they will generally outmaneuver anyone in matters of trade or business who is not of their tribe.

2. Since every other race knows this - every other race generally distrusts elves, and for good reasons - when it comes to business. But half-elves are worse - because they are hated because of their elven blood - and their own kind turns their back on them for they are - by definition - not of the tribe.

As such - the ruthless desire to survive translated into business practices and sly cunning of the elves is trebled in a half-elf - who has to outfox not only his human companions - but also his elven ones. In short - when it comes to business deals - Khromm is more suspicious of Kae then Arasmes - half-elves are born tricky, and have been bred to be even more so as they age - and with the half-elf suddenly bringing in new troops - this seems to confirm his suspicions that the "cut" may be diminished somewhat...

However - Khromm merely communicates these thoughts with a brief glance and a grunt.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Khromm, the direct and distrusting Mul, she muses inwardly. She would have to keep an eye on her companion and try to smooth waters when his less than diplomatic ways got the better of him.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:
Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

"Not see action? Shaezon, Galen, that is precisely our errand. Our objective is the seize the drugs these Black Koda are bringing into our fair city. That is our errand, so action we shall see. But it is an ambush that we plot, so unless they are running much ahead, we shall have time to plan and prepare." Ka'etil tells the mages with a smile, cantering up to them on Konur. "May i present Sir Garith Mordrand, Commander of Saravale's cavalry!"

Kae has all his normal gear, as well as a lance that he picked up, still sporting his long cloak hanging over the side of his mount.

"Excellent..." Galen says softly, his eyes narrowing and the hint of a strange smile on his lips at the chance for some "action".

Meanwhile - Param - upon hearing your words - squeaks, then runs back inside the little box on the hat band.

Speaking to Kae, but the lesson is obviously for Galen also

"True enough, Ka'etil. However, since we are archaist we would be foolish to get within close range of the combatants. Instead we shall allow our spells to close range with the enemy while we remain safely out of sword reach." Glancing to Galen, then looking back to Kae."And my apprentice will take particular care since this is his first combat situation. However, Galen does seem to have some talent with fire magic, so when he makes his presence known I have no doubt it will be..." Shae considers the right word. "...flashy. Be sure not to draw too much attention from the enemy. "


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Khromm wrote:

Khromm turns and sees the humans - his eyes narrowing as he looks them over, then turns to look at Kae.

"One tenth of the treasure is one tenth of the total portion, half-elf," he adds, his eyes narrowing somewhat.

Khromm has had enough dealing with half-elves in the southlands to remember 2 basic facts.

1. Desert Elves are one of the most distrusted of races - they are naturally nomadic with an inherent wanderlust - a fierce sense of tribal loyalty that binds families together and excludes anyone from the tribe by necessity of survival - excepting of course when business is afoot - in which case their ruthless desire to live is translated from sword play into business haggling - and they will generally outmaneuver anyone in matters of trade or business who is not of their tribe.

2. Since every other race knows this - every other race generally distrusts elves, and for good reasons - when it comes to business. But half-elves are worse - because they are hated because of their elven blood - and their own kind turns their back on them for they are - by definition - not of the tribe.

As such - the ruthless desire to survive translated into business practices and sly cunning of the elves is trebled in a half-elf - who has to outfox not only his human companions - but also his elven ones. In short - when it comes to business deals - Khromm is more suspicious of Kae then Arasmes - half-elves are born tricky, and have been bred to be even more so as they age - and with the half-elf suddenly bringing in new troops - this seems to confirm his suspicions that the "cut" may be diminished somewhat...

However - Khromm merely communicates these thoughts with a brief glance and a grunt.

"I wonder what he thinks of high elves, such as myself?" Shae thinks to himself.

"I don't know." Mister thinks back at his master. He must have been listening just in case. "Want me to ask?"

"No." Shae thinks to the half dragon slightly annoyed. "and I asked you not to do that. Wait for the signal before browsing my mind."

"I know, but your thoughts are more entertaining then these other people most of the time. Plus when you internally call people names that's really entertaining. You have quite a vocabulary." Mister grins at his master

Shae mentally sighs "Just be discrete, OK?" Shae scratches under Misters chin

"Ok, Boss." Mister thinks in reply as he turns his head into the scratch.


To Shaezon

Galen opens his mouth a moment to say something about your comment about “first combat” – but then, he seems to think better of it, and closes his mouth and says nothing for a moment. Then, he turns and answers you directly.

”Of course, Master, I would not think of risking myself foolishly,” he says politely.

”After all - logic suggests that in combat – like in chess – a wise commander sacrifices the pawns first,” he adds the last, almost to himself.

Then – realizing he spoke aloud, he quickly explains.

”That is to say – in combat we must all be placed properly – and everyone in must be placed in a position that will best help the entire group. And - if standing in the rear for protection so that I may live longer to use my meager abilities – well, if it is shown that this is the most advantageous place for all – naturally – I shall do just that. After all, anything else would be… illogical,” he adds, then offers a friendly smile to everyone.


To all

After several days of riding you have reached your position – let me know where you want to set up – check the details and tell me where you want to put your men. By the way – the heavy gray “wall” on the top of the map is your cave entrance where the caravan is scheduled to go.

Here it is:

Map of Canyon


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Looking about the canyon, and noting in the distance a strong looking grey wall, with her knees she nudges Sadiki closer to Khromm and says quietly, "Where should we position ourselves? I am not one for covert or military strategy so I ask for guidance, Mister Khromm."


Male Half-dwarf - also known as a "Mul" Gladiator... and others... 6th level

Khromm looks around at the width and depth of the canyon, his eyes narrow as he takes things in.

”Best thing first,” he says turning to Shaezon.

”Elf – you’re skilled with magic?” he asks, as if he is positively baffled that an elf would have any knowledge or experience with magic – with the exception of simply overhearing about bits of lore and random knowledge - not unlike a bard...

Before Shaezon can answer, Khromm juts his chin forward at Mister.

”If you can talk with your beast – in that I know our own elves are skilled; speaking with beasts and all,” Khromm says.

”You can send it flying up – scout out where the bandit types are coming – if we have some time – we can better set up. They probably won’t notice a thing in the air – and if they see it – what of it? There are many birds and beasts in these hills – its doubtful they’ll attach the presence of your creature with us.”

Once we see the direction they are coming from – then we will be better suited to put ourselves in a position to kill our enemies,” he adds with a shrug.

”But – I would think one of the better places would be that rock pillar yonder,” he says – gesturing to the pillar at AB – 50.

”From there we’ll be out of reach of their melee types – we can have our own footmen at the surrounding cliffs – when the enemy approaches – depending on what angle – we lead them to the north of the pillar – or let them ride that way – then move in behind them to flank and pin them – while those on the pillar can rain arrows or whatever sorcery they have on them that come,” he adds.

”But then – that all depends on what the little winged Jhozal said,” Khromm says, indicating Mister – but sense this statement is not derogatory – he is not being rude, you’d gather – but he is actually trying to describe something, though you don’t know what a “Jhozal” is… most likely a southern thing.

”When I know more on his vision – I’ll know what I want to do next,” he adds.

Okay, Shaezon – your move. I’ll need Mister to fly out with a Perception roll – whenever I get the word from him – I can tell you about the riders. When you know more about the riders – where they are – where they headed, where they are coming from – no doubt you’ll all be able to use this information to better position yourself. Meanwhile – good luck!


Mister speaks into Kolm's mind (and anyone else within the 60'cone),

"You can just speak to me directly. I understand everything you're saying and I'd bet I'm smarter than more than a couple of your men." Mister "says" somewhat indignantly, then mentally and actually sighs, "But you have a point. I'll fly around and gather intelligence. I know the tricks to keep them from seeing me even while flying. Keeping myself between the sun and them, etc. Back in a flash."

Mister hops off Shae's shoulder and soars into the sky.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Stealth 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (15) + 19 = 34

No doubt both of those rolls will have distance issues, but Mister's not trying to make out details, just generalities.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

I would like to see about getting up on that high ridge so we can lay flat and be unseen until they get close. Then use ranged as needed. Looks like climb checks or something may be needed. Perhaps waiting for mister to return would be smartest.

L26-ish


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Lacking iternet tonight. I'll check tomorrow if I can... sorry


Hey - when are you schmoes open to a Skype battle? (And yes "Schmoes" is actually a correct word).

Just let me know - it will make this "quick battle" go SO much faster.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Skype battles are out for me for 2 weeks. If you guys need to go down that route then Isani may need to be NPC'd for that Skype session.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:

Hey - when are you schmoes open to a Skype battle? (And yes "Schmoes" is actually a correct word).

Just let me know - it will make this "quick battle" go SO much faster.

Most evenings, but i have to go to bed at 11:00 EST.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

I'm flying home tomorrow, so maybe Thursday, but I'll have to check my schedule once i get there tomorrow night.

is the caravan expected to come through the north from the gray spot on b44-49?

If so, Kae suggests Garith take his riders up to b 69-74 clearing, hiding by the cliffside in order to flank as they pass through, but only of it actually looks like they could reasonably conceal themselves there without being easily spotted.
Also depends on Laz's scouting report...

Kae would go AJ45 if there's others willing to be in the thick of things then, to cut off the enemy progress.


The caravan is likely to be coming from the south.

The “Gray Spot” is meant to be the cave you entered before – specifically when you traveled underground and found the magic items – including the rug, and potions – etcetera.

You remember the place well – but, you also came from the north – and recall that canyons, cliffs - and so on - bisected the southern area – and, if you recall, the horses wandered off and had to be retrieved from one of the canyons.

It seems very likely that this place is a hideout for the southern gangs – you know the inside of the caves – as to what direction they will approach – that you don’t know, not yet – until after Mister returns. But logic would suggest it is from the south, as the entire southern town is also – south – and (not to mention) to get to the cave they can either move up the gradual incline – or go all the way around the cave from the north, and be forced to literally climb up a steep cliff.

Just something to consider…

It seems that a skype battle may be out of possibility – for now – as I can’t get all of you on skype at the same time to make it happen – not even a majority – at least for several days. Even then, it would be spotty at best. Yet, I don’t want to delay this part of the campaign longer then needed. If we have to wait until at least Thursday to do skype for Kae and Sheazon (never mind Arasmes/Lar) – and with Isani out of skype anyhow for at least 2 weeks – it may be better to use round x round combat until at least Thursday – just to get things moving. If at that time we can get more then half the group on skype – I’ll do it – but I don’t want 50% of the group to be NPC’d. That’s just too messy. For now I think round by round would be best – until I know more. What do you guys think? Could you do round by round – one round a day – at least for a while – or does someone have an alternative? When I hear a consensus from the group - I'll take it. If I hear enough - we start Round 1 tomorrow via once a day round (twice if we're lucky :)


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

I'm good with round by round. Please just use tags for which round we're on. Example: Round 1


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Round by round sounds good to me, too. Also, I like Shae's suggestion of noting the Rounds in bold.


Pre-Round 1

The following details are brought to you – courtesy of Mister…

Mister is able to see quite a distance – so you have ample opportunity to prepare an appropriate ambush – if you so desire. You can see – based on Mister’s observations – that a group of riders is tacking course from the canyons to the south-west. It is Mister’s opinion that – if they continue in their current direction – it means they will come in from the south. You are all able to see that if they proceed they will reach an obvious bottleneck in the canyons at AT – 40-50.

The cliffs that flank this bottleneck are rather small – barely 10 feet in height – but they are fairly thick – some of them stretching for about 10 to 20 feet in width. You have plenty of room to spread out around the bottleneck – once they enter it formally – you can spring your trap – or take what action you choose.

According to Mister there are 12 riders. He indicates that it looks like 10 of them behave like the usual bodyguard toughs – armed with light armor, bows, scimitars, and other type weapons – he believes this to be the escort.

The only other two folk are both heavily robed figures that ride close to each other and are talking to each other (he certainly can’t discern what about from his distance). These two seem like the leaders of the expedition – and do not appear to be carrying any obvious weapons or armor.

Each man is riding a horse; six horses also travel behind – and the horses of the men are heavily laden, especially so with the extra pack horses. All told you have about 18 horses to deal with – and about 12 men.

Mister believes that at the current pace – they should arrive in roughly 30 minutes – giving you all plenty of time to discuss your plans and get into position. From there – you’ll have the initiative, if you wish to attack first, or talk – the choice is yours. You have time to make that decision – so whatever you decide – please let me know.

Once I know more – you’ll have the action for the “Surprise Round” – tell me what you want to do that round – and as soon as the men come into position – you’ll make your move.

Good hunting!


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

I'd say we can start with some AOE's from our casters once the Robed ones get into the bottleneck, hitting them and the riders ahead of them. Anyone with range can take attacks from he cliffs above. Kae would likely do best shooting from Konur at AF 37 to get some damage on the robed ones too. Then he can take a charge with hi lance in the first round.

Garith's riders can be stationed around AP:60, out of the way and able to hide, but in range to be able to hit the riders with charges as they exit the bottleneck. So once the AOEs goes off, Archers all shoot, Garith's riders can charge. Not sure what the others want to do for their combat styles...


Um - okay - Kae, if you and your men want to remain on horseback, that is okay - but you will need to make "stealth" checks to have you and your horses hidden. Remember - even though the cliff is 10 feet in height - you are sitting on a horse.

But - now that I know your move - I hope it goes well.

Meanwhile - Khromm is currently behind the ledge at Z:48 - this puts him up about 45 feet off the ground, with a five foot high cliff in front of him.

Where are the rest of you at this time?


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

question, Can riders move down the area H 60 on their horses? not sure how steep the grade is there, but if the horse-men are positioned out on the clearing at F-63, they should not be in line of sight due to the pillar, until after the ambush has started and they can get into the combat by round 2 or 3 depending...

Kae can be mounted hidden by the piller, and when they aproach, the horse moves him to ae38, and Kae fires.
Stealth
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
and he's hidden behind the pillar completely


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Believing she should stay out of sight and out of the line of fire being that she is not an experienced/effective warrior, she sticks close to Khromm and positions herself behind the ledge (sorry it's not very clear on the map as it is on the small side and I can't really make it out) at Z:49/50.

In low voice, "I am a healer and not much of a fighter, Mister Khromm. It would be wiser for me to keep away from the main fight and be prepared to assist in healing and magics if necessary. I cannot be of use if I am killed for lack of battle skill. And from what the pseudodragon has told us of the two possible leaders, they sound like they could be skilled in magic being they are without armor or weapon. There is something strange in that."

Okay, I'm not sure where we rode up to but at some point Isani would have tethered Sadiki in a discreet/hidden spot so he can remain safe. She would then have followed Khromm on foot. Are we able to update the map with markers with everyone's positions?


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

To kae and company,

"We need to force them into the bottleneck. Perhaps the riders should hide out of sight until they can ride in and cover their rear flank. I can drop a fireball into the crowd toward the rear to both force them forward and start the show, so to speak. Also depending on how tightly they're packed that should take out a few men. After that they should panic and run forward toward out bottleneck while the calvary circles around behind. After that we should concentrate on the robed figures, probably casters of some sort. Then it's just a matter of raining hell down upon them until they surrender or fall. After the leaders are taken care of someone should yell that if they surrender they will be spared. "

Thinking for a moment, "Unless of course someone wants to try asking nicely for the criminals to please give us their illegal drug shipment and turn themselves over to our authority."

Shaezon looks to the assembled group for responses, retorts, or any other additinal information they wish to offer.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

"I too believe the robed figures could possess magic and you are correct that we should priortise their capture, for without leaders followers tend to scatter or submit. I wonder, however, if they are connected to this Osirion ring that the Council has spoken of, they may be prepared for such an attack and it may be harder to take them down--those two may be magically enhanced or warded. We could attempt to reason with these people, give them an opportunity to redeem their ways, but we must ensure they will not harm us first. If we rain fireballs down upon them and they hit a wagon with the pesh and opium shipment, the smoke will make things rather difficult for our people on the ground -- for they too may be affected by the hallucinogenics. In addition, I thought we had established that we require the opium for medicinal purposes -- anesthesia for pain, so we cannot waste it. Is your aim true, wizard?"


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

"While i can use a bow, my greatest strength is in close quarters combat. Peppering them with arrows and spells until the leaders are defeated sounds like a plan. In the position behind the pillar, I can try to both lure the men that way into the other bottleneck AE:36 and if they try to flank me, going around the piller the other way, Garith's knights can stop them, and allow you to fire more spells, if you have them. Depending on the flow of battle, I think that the Knights would make the best use of Arasmes's Haste?" Kae theorizes.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Isani Isu wrote:
"I too believe the robed figures could possess magic and you are correct that we should priortise their capture, for without leaders followers tend to scatter or submit. I wonder, however, if they are connected to this Osirion ring that the Council has spoken of, they may be prepared for such an attack and it may be harder to take them down--those two may be magically enhanced or warded. We could attempt to reason with these people, give them an opportunity to redeem their ways, but we must ensure they will not harm us first. If we rain fireballs down upon them and they hit a wagon with the pesh and opium shipment, the smoke will make things rather difficult for our people on the ground -- for they too may be affected by the hallucinogenics. In addition, I thought we had established that we require the opium for medicinal purposes -- anesthesia for pain, so we cannot waste it. Is your aim true, wizard?"

Chucking slightly, "I'm going to hit the guards with a fireball, not the shipment. I'm a better aim than that."


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:
"While i can use a bow, my greatest strength is in close quarters combat. Peppering them with arrows and spells until the leaders are defeated sounds like a plan. In the position behind the pillar, I can try to both lure the men that way into the other bottleneck AE:36 and if they try to flank me, going around the piller the other way, Garith's knights can stop them, and allow you to fire more spells, if you have them. Depending on the flow of battle, I think that the Knights would make the best use of Arasmes's Haste?" Kae theorizes.

"Agreed. though I can haste some as well. Having multiple groups so enhanced would be extremely useful. "


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

question, Can riders move down the area H 60 on their horses? not sure how steep the grade is there, but if the horse-men are positioned out on the clearing at F-63, they should not be in line of sight due to the pillar, until after the ambush has started and they can get into the combat by round 2 or 3 depending...

Kae can be mounted hidden by the piller, and when they aproach, the horse moves him to ae38, and Kae fires.
Stealth
1d20+11
and he's hidden behind the pillar completely

First - by "riders" - I assume you mean your backup.

If so, they can be up there - but remember - each square is 5x5 - a horse occupies 10x10 feet.

Also - H 60 is a smooth grade - but it is at the top of a gradually rising hill. At the top of that hill - on the open grade - they'd be in complete view of anyone who rounded the bend - because it would be several guys on the hill sitting on their horses.

Meanwhile - Kae's position is so noted.

Where is your NPC's specifically - I will need grids for all - just to get a sense of where everyone is.


Isani Isu wrote:

Believing she should stay out of sight and out of the line of fire being that she is not an experienced/effective warrior, she sticks close to Khromm and positions herself behind the ledge (sorry it's not very clear on the map as it is on the small side and I can't really make it out) at Z:49/50.

In low voice, "I am a healer and not much of a fighter, Mister Khromm. It would be wiser for me to keep away from the main fight and be prepared to assist in healing and magics if necessary. I cannot be of use if I am killed for lack of battle skill. And from what the pseudodragon has told us of the two possible leaders, they sound like they could be skilled in magic being they are without armor or weapon. There is something strange in that."

Okay, I'm not sure where we rode up to but at some point Isani would have tethered Sadiki in a discreet/hidden spot so he can remain safe. She would then have followed Khromm on foot. Are we able to update the map with markers with everyone's positions?

1. To get to the top would normally require a climb check - but Khromm will just assist you. It is fairly easy for him to make a climb check, and he can pull you up.

2. You have plenty of time to move your horse and any extra gear to wherever you want. Remember - even now you have at least a half an hour - probably more - while you wait for these guys - this doesn't count how long you've already been here. If you'd like to - you could even take Sadihki inside the cave itself - the cavern is wide enough, and keep her there. Though, if she entered, she is not likely to be able to get out easily.

3. Khromm will grunt at your suggestion about spellcasters and lack of arms or armor. He suggest many merchants do not carry such gear, relying on bodyguards. And they may only be merchants with narcotics, nothing more. But, he adds - if they are spellcasters "Hrmph! If they bleed - we can kill them!"

4. I can't send out the map with positions until I have everyone's position formally. I still need some questions answered from Kae - and still no word from Aramses and Lar.


Male Half-dwarf - also known as a "Mul" Gladiator... and others... 6th level
Shaezon Silverfall wrote:

To kae and company,

"We need to force them into the bottleneck. Perhaps the riders should hide out of sight until they can ride in and cover their rear flank. I can drop a fireball into the crowd toward the rear to both force them forward and start the show, so to speak. Also depending on how tightly they're packed that should take out a few men. After that they should panic and run forward toward out bottleneck while the calvary circles around behind. After that we should concentrate on the robed figures, probably casters of some sort. Then it's just a matter of raining hell down upon them until they surrender or fall. After the leaders are taken care of someone should yell that if they surrender they will be spared. "

Thinking for a moment, "Unless of course someone wants to try asking nicely for the criminals to please give us their illegal drug shipment and turn themselves over to our authority."

Shaezon looks to the assembled group for responses, retorts, or any other additinal information they wish to offer.

"Bah - don't be naive! You don't need to "force them" into the bottleneck - that's the only way they can travel if they're making for yon cave," Khromm says with a jerk of his thumb to the cave above you.

"And where else would they go? It's perfect shelter - big enough to get some horses inside - redistribute their wealth and gear - then break into smaller parties and head into your capital with it discreetly. Now that they have the big haul so close - they can afford to separate a bit - and come back and forth between here and the town for "resupply". Hell - even if you raided their homes, you'd probably only find a small amount - that cave is likely where they keep the big stash, and likely where they're headed."

"If we have our cover protection in the form of archers arrayed properly in discrete positions, our melee fighters hidden with stealth to close the gap - our spellcasters within range but in safety - we can then allow them to advance past the mid-point, use the range fighters to cause a panic with arrows - when they're confused and turn to flee all in a panic the melee fighters can swing out on each flank and cut them off, at the pass, mind you - and in the general fracas the spellcasters can use what vile sorcery they command to crush them from afar even as they attempt to discover what hit them so hard and fast," he adds.

"Indeed - it's almost too easy!" he says with a grim nod, drawing a blade and running his thumb over the edge.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Around L27 seems to be the best place for Myself and Galen. Though i'm open to suggestion.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Which bend are you talking about?

If it's up a hill, can they be positioned behind the pillar, so that when the enemy comes into the bottleneck, they're hidden behind the pillar?

Can't look at the map till late tonight, so if anyone can suggest where they can be hidden from view, but be able to attack without taking too long to get to them?

Or hide them in the cave, and when the fighting starts, they can charge out.

I agree that we should wait till they get to the midpoint before attacking, but then Kae needs to move, and change his plan. I'll look later tonight, soon as I can


Male Half-dwarf - also known as a "Mul" Gladiator... and others... 6th level
Isani Isu wrote:
"I too believe the robed figures could possess magic and you are correct that we should priortise their capture, for without leaders followers tend to scatter or submit. I wonder, however, if they are connected to this Osirion ring that the Council has spoken of, they may be prepared for such an attack and it may be harder to take them down--those two may be magically enhanced or warded. We could attempt to reason with these people, give them an opportunity to redeem their ways, but we must ensure they will not harm us first. If we rain fireballs down upon them and they hit a wagon with the pesh and opium shipment, the smoke will make things rather difficult for our people on the ground -- for they too may be affected by the hallucinogenics. In addition, I thought we had established that we require the opium for medicinal purposes -- anesthesia for pain, so we cannot waste it. Is your aim true, wizard?"

"In this I am the witch are of like mind," Khromm adds grimly.

"What good is it to destroy the enemy with the very wealth we're here to seize? If the goods are valuable, and you say they are - why shouldn't we take them for our own - how else can we get paid?" he adds, glancing to Isani with a agreeable nod.

"None of us our sure which horses house the most valuable gear - if we strike it - and destroy it - we've wasted the best part of this venture," he adds, referencing the value of the loot.


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:
"While i can use a bow, my greatest strength is in close quarters combat. Peppering them with arrows and spells until the leaders are defeated sounds like a plan. In the position behind the pillar, I can try to both lure the men that way into the other bottleneck AE:36 and if they try to flank me, going around the piller the other way, Garith's knights can stop them, and allow you to fire more spells, if you have them. Depending on the flow of battle, I think that the Knights would make the best use of Arasmes's Haste?" Kae theorizes.

For now - Arasmes shall simply agree with you. Does anyone want to NPC him and/or Laz? If so - let me know who - and if I don't hear from him (his internet connection's been spotty - he's in the process of moving, he said, and starting a new job) - then we'll simply NPC him for now.


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Isani Isu wrote:
"I too believe the robed figures could possess magic and you are correct that we should priortise their capture, for without leaders followers tend to scatter or submit. I wonder, however, if they are connected to this Osirion ring that the Council has spoken of, they may be prepared for such an attack and it may be harder to take them down--those two may be magically enhanced or warded. We could attempt to reason with these people, give them an opportunity to redeem their ways, but we must ensure they will not harm us first. If we rain fireballs down upon them and they hit a wagon with the pesh and opium shipment, the smoke will make things rather difficult for our people on the ground -- for they too may be affected by the hallucinogenics. In addition, I thought we had established that we require the opium for medicinal purposes -- anesthesia for pain, so we cannot waste it. Is your aim true, wizard?"
Chucking slightly, "I'm going to hit the guards with a fireball, not the shipment. I'm a better aim than that."

"With respect, master," Galen says quietly to you "Pesh is a narcotic - and a small amount can be carried easily for great money. Well - that is to say - which men are sure to have the Pesh? And the opium? They may all have it - or none - or one? How can we tell who, or what, is carrying it with such certainty?"


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Khromm wrote:
Isani Isu wrote:
"I too believe the robed figures could possess magic and you are correct that we should priortise their capture, for without leaders followers tend to scatter or submit. I wonder, however, if they are connected to this Osirion ring that the Council has spoken of, they may be prepared for such an attack and it may be harder to take them down--those two may be magically enhanced or warded. We could attempt to reason with these people, give them an opportunity to redeem their ways, but we must ensure they will not harm us first. If we rain fireballs down upon them and they hit a wagon with the pesh and opium shipment, the smoke will make things rather difficult for our people on the ground -- for they too may be affected by the hallucinogenics. In addition, I thought we had established that we require the opium for medicinal purposes -- anesthesia for pain, so we cannot waste it. Is your aim true, wizard?"

"In this I am the witch are of like mind," Khromm adds grimly.

"What good is it to destroy the enemy with the very wealth we're here to seize? If the goods are valuable, and you say they are - why shouldn't we take them for our own - how else can we get paid?" he adds, glancing to Isani with a agreeable nod.

"None of us our sure which horses house the most valuable gear - if we strike it - and destroy it - we've wasted the best part of this venture," he adds, referencing the value of the loot.

"Oh, I figured there would be a cart or something. In that case I'll not use the fireball."

Edit: Same response for Galens comment.


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Around L27 seems to be the best place for Myself and Galen. Though i'm open to suggestion.

Not too much of a problem - remember, though - to get there you'll need to move to the shallow incline and climb up the last leg of the cliff. This climb is about twenty feet - or two climb checks for each of you.

As you can fall and suffer damage - you cannot take 10 or 20 - but, if there is someone else up there, they can haul you up. Do you have anyone who can do this?


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Khromm wrote:
Isani Isu wrote:
"I too believe the robed figures could possess magic and you are correct that we should priortise their capture, for without leaders followers tend to scatter or submit. I wonder, however, if they are connected to this Osirion ring that the Council has spoken of, they may be prepared for such an attack and it may be harder to take them down--those two may be magically enhanced or warded. We could attempt to reason with these people, give them an opportunity to redeem their ways, but we must ensure they will not harm us first. If we rain fireballs down upon them and they hit a wagon with the pesh and opium shipment, the smoke will make things rather difficult for our people on the ground -- for they too may be affected by the hallucinogenics. In addition, I thought we had established that we require the opium for medicinal purposes -- anesthesia for pain, so we cannot waste it. Is your aim true, wizard?"

"In this I am the witch are of like mind," Khromm adds grimly.

"What good is it to destroy the enemy with the very wealth we're here to seize? If the goods are valuable, and you say they are - why shouldn't we take them for our own - how else can we get paid?" he adds, glancing to Isani with a agreeable nod.

"None of us our sure which horses house the most valuable gear - if we strike it - and destroy it - we've wasted the best part of this venture," he adds, referencing the value of the loot.

"Oh, I figured there would be a cart or something. In that case I'll not use the fireball."

Edit: Same response for Galens comment.

If you recall from Mister -

1. There are 18 horses
2. There are 12 riders
3. Of the 12 riders - ten of them look like bodyguard types, 2 are wearing longish robes and no obvious armor - all of them have desert style garb and gear.

There was no cart mentioned - though the six other horses are carrying packs and sacks for supplies. They could have food for everyone, or other things too... The main party has little gear on their horses, it seems that they are relying on the pack horses.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:
Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Khromm wrote:
Isani Isu wrote:
"I too believe the robed figures could possess magic and you are correct that we should priortise their capture, for without leaders followers tend to scatter or submit. I wonder, however, if they are connected to this Osirion ring that the Council has spoken of, they may be prepared for such an attack and it may be harder to take them down--those two may be magically enhanced or warded. We could attempt to reason with these people, give them an opportunity to redeem their ways, but we must ensure they will not harm us first. If we rain fireballs down upon them and they hit a wagon with the pesh and opium shipment, the smoke will make things rather difficult for our people on the ground -- for they too may be affected by the hallucinogenics. In addition, I thought we had established that we require the opium for medicinal purposes -- anesthesia for pain, so we cannot waste it. Is your aim true, wizard?"

"In this I am the witch are of like mind," Khromm adds grimly.

"What good is it to destroy the enemy with the very wealth we're here to seize? If the goods are valuable, and you say they are - why shouldn't we take them for our own - how else can we get paid?" he adds, glancing to Isani with a agreeable nod.

"None of us our sure which horses house the most valuable gear - if we strike it - and destroy it - we've wasted the best part of this venture," he adds, referencing the value of the loot.

"Oh, I figured there would be a cart or something. In that case I'll not use the fireball."

Edit: Same response for Galens comment.

If you recall from Mister -

1. There are 18 horses
2. There are 12 riders
3. Of the 12 riders - ten of them look like bodyguard types, 2 are wearing longish robes and no obvious armor - all of them have desert style garb and gear.

There was no cart mentioned - though the six other horses are carrying packs and sacks for supplies. They could...

Fair enough.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

x/y:48/49 would be where Kae is hiding with Konur. He'll also drink a mutagen as they are approaching, but before the surprise round. It lasts for 20 minutes.

And i'm liking having the riders in the cave, so when combat starts, they can charge in and deal some damage, and come up and block the enemy's flank, cause there's really no way to attack them from behind.

"I'll take up a position behind the pillar, and when the enemy moves to get around it, either way, they'll be clustered and in good position to attack, at which point I can ride out and fire on them along with Khromm. Who else can attack with a Bow, or from range somehow?" he asks, looking to Raz and Isa.

Kae can use the suprise round and ride out and fire on them along with the rest. Konur uses it's move action to ride forward, and Kae takes the chance to fire.

If you send me his sheet, I can run Raz


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

x/y:48/49 would be where Kae is hiding with Konur. He'll also drink a mutagen as they are approaching, but before the surprise round. It lasts for 20 minutes.

And i'm liking having the riders in the cave, so when combat starts, they can charge in and deal some damage, and come up and block the enemy's flank, cause there's really no way to attack them from behind.

"I'll take up a position behind the pillar, and when the enemy moves to get around it, either way, they'll be clustered and in good position to attack, at which point I can ride out and fire on them along with Khromm. Who else can attack with a Bow, or from range somehow?" he asks, looking to Raz and Isa.

Kae can use the suprise round and ride out and fire on them along with the rest. Konur uses it's move action to ride forward, and Kae takes the chance to fire.

If you send me his sheet, I can run Raz

I should add - though you can lead the horses into the tunnel - it is 10 feet in width - you would have to ride them one at a time - and it is a very steep grade to ride down out of the cave - but it is up to you.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Hey Team!
so we have 4 riders and a cavalier with Cavalry Formation teamwork feat that he can give them for a round so they can charge through each others spaces, but I haven't been able to come up with a single idea to use them that is even remotely useful.

SO, anybody got any thoughts on what to do with our NPC's?


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Studying the half-elf councilman, she decides to politely voice a concern, "Mister Ka'etil, we are in a canyon, and charging down a rocky ravine seems rather dangerous to horse and rider. I cannot see how it could give us much of an advantage if our riders must check themselves as they traverse downhill in such a terrain, hoping horse will not slip and break a leg, throw them or worse. Being atop a horse does not give you opportunity for stealth as one cannot crouch with horse, especially if we are coordinating four riders and a cavalier."

"In answer to your question about range, I have no weapons to cover such distance, but I do possess some medium ranged spells, up to 130 feet, which I can utilise if necessary. Also, I have the ability to summon monsters (I & II), earth or air elementals or even a Celestial Giant Ant for example would come in useful in such a landscape as this. However it is a short range spell, only 30 feet, so I must be close to our enemy. I will await guidance and instruction from you." She bows her head in deference to the councilman leader.

551 to 600 of 1,602 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dain's King Maker Chronicles - Combat Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.