Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Dain's King Maker Chronicles

Game Master dain120475

Introduction

This is the Kingmaker Campaign, yet it is filled with many deviations from the boxed set. The "Campaign Information" page is meant as a quick resource to help sum up the thousands of posts quickly.


8,351 to 8,400 of 10,695 << first < prev | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | next > last >>

Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

For now I'm heading to bed.


Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
It was how it was played in the playtest and was nerfed in the release but I mentioned this when I brought in the summoner that I thought that the nerf was unnecessary and that he playtest version worked fine. If we are changing that's fine but like I said I need to alter my spells and will do so soon.

No worries - you're in a good spot "out of game" to make those calls on spells. We can do more on that soon, though. Meanwhile - that is only 3 summons today, so you have 6 more to go.


Okay - anyone else have questions for this corpse?

Kae - you're outside with Brett - you can either help him search the other part of the town - or you can go inside and search the main room with the dead body.

If you decide to search the inside of the building - you can keep the above rolls. If you want to search outside - you can keep the rolls for that, too.

Clari - you currently were examining the sword, no one has taken it - but Brett, Kae, Galen and Shae know you have it. If you want it - you'll have to ask them - but, it is still there for those who can use it. If you have a good blade - you may want to keep it - if you let Brett use it - he may be handy with it. It's better then his current weapon.

Shae - you are able to use that Linguistic check at any time.

The rest - okay - I got Arasmes's questions for the dead - is everyone cool with them? If not - let me know - the questions will be asked soon. Remember - the dead may try to resist the questions, though. It's something to consider especially regarding the phrasing of the question.


HP: 47 AC: 14 Hexblade 5

Kae helps Brett search for evidence.

Clari has no need for nother Blade, with Keravel, and will return it to brett once they get back, as he seemed interested. She'll be glad to give him any information about it she can. she does hold on to it while Brett is away with Kae.

"Councilwoman Kane, er Baroness? What exactly do i call you now?" Clari asks Ariarh, approaching the Druid, really for the first time. "Whatever it'd be, you know tracking and such better than I, so would you give me a hand looking around this room to come up with what in the Infinate Abyss happened in here to these curs, while the bird over there works her magic?"

survival to Aid Ariarh
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Guess Clari'll be no help there...

Perception
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
to look for other forms of evidence or clues.

As they search, the search, Clari seems oddly relaxed, as if the powerful stench of death does not phase her at all, but instead she wanders around the room looking things over, examining the bodies and dried blood for any sorts of signs of what occurred here.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Saying a small prayer for the burned creature in the fireplace, she turns to the folk near her and translates out aloud the parchment,

"This parchment nailed to the fireplace wall, it is written in Ancient Osiriani. This strange hybrid creature tortured, dismembered and burned in the fire, I believe this message is a death sentence or a warning to others of like mind or will. It says, Death to Apostates! Death to Heretics! May the Master curse all Traitors. May their bones wither, may their body rot, may they know darkness and despair. It is either a warning or a curse."

Then bending closer to the ashes, examines them to determine if there is anything in them apart from the bones of this poor unfortunate creature.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Clari Miali'ahel wrote:

"Councilwoman Kane, er Baroness? What exactly do i call you now?" Clari asks Ariarh, approaching the Druid, really for the first time. "Whatever it'd be, you know tracking and such better than I, so would you give me a hand looking around this room to come up with what in the Infinate Abyss happened in here to these curs, while the bird over there works her magic?"

survival to Aid Ariarh
1d20+1
Guess Clari'll be no help there...

Perception
1d20+10
to look for other forms of evidence or clues.

As they search the room, Clari seems oddly relaxed, as if the powerful stench of death does not phase her at all, but instead she wanders around the room looking things over, examining the bodies and dried blood for any sorts of signs of what occurred here.

"Ariarh is fine during these quests. In formal forums and within Saravale, Lady Ariarh or Baroness is probably more suitable, Clari, at least for the next six months. I would be happy to take a look, possibly find further clues and the like and piece together this puzzle. These two deaths are rather gruesome and cruel. I wonder at the circumstances and especially so after hearing Priestess Isani's translation of the note near the body in the fireplace." Ariarh lifts her scarf to cover her nose as the stench is rather powerful and she does not want to be distracted by it.

Survival via tracking: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17
Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Questions to ask the hanging corpse: Who is the Master? How many were housed here? What was this place used for -- what was being done here? How long were you here before you were killed? Were you one of the Traitors and why would you be labelled as such? Were there others like you? Do you know where the others were headed before they killed you? What language/s did they speak? Was there a discernible emblem, insignia or symbol on your murderers? Were there spellcasters among your torturers?


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:
Shaezon Silverfall wrote:

Going with Brett. Shae will examine and detect magic on the runed sword.

Percep 1d20+10

Shae - it's definitely magical - as to the runes - you'll probably want a Linguistics roll to identify them. Spellcraft to identify the sword's magical power.

Spellcraft1d20 + 15 ⇒ (2) + 15 = 17

Linguistics 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
My fault I missed the casting time. I'd be willing to burn another summon to "extend" the time so that the casting could be done if you allowed in this instance. As for the languages, the spell reads like anyone can hear the answers and we can give the Nosoi the questions to ask and it should be able to repeat them. Due to the difficulty I would say we'd probably only get 3 or 4 questions off instead of 6.

Most celestials have the tongues or true speech ability, though I am not familiar with this one specifically.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
We had talked about that no summons rule with the eidolon when i brought in the summoner and that the summon and eidolon could be here at the same time was the result of the convo. That's how he's been played the whole time. I've been using the summons and the eidolon since the beginning without issue. I didn't realize we were changing now because that changes a lot of things about my character and spell selection.

Ah - I really don't remember that conversation, to tell you the truth. And I don't know much about summoners, but I have been reading up on them lately, and it is pretty clear that because of the powers of the Eidolon in general, not to mention summoned monsters - that the book doesn't want you to have both the eidolon and the summoned monsters out at the same time.

Now - if it has compromised your characters spell selection - I will let you modify the spells you know, no problem. You guys are at a tight spot, you can just reshuffle the spells you know, if you like. But the only reason you've had the Eidolon and the Summoned creatures at the same time, as far as I remember (and I'm not saying you're wrong) is because I thought that was how they were actually played, until I just checked the source.

Having the Eidolon and Summoned Monster out at the same time would mean that you would gain all the advantages of the Eidolon - and have the summoned monsters to back you, too. That is extremely powerful, and far more powerful then a Summoner would normally have.

I just want to keep things balanced and fair - and I sincerely don't remember talking about it - I honestly assumed that was how they were played. Do you want to reshuffle your spell list, though? If so - you are free to do that, just let me know.

Unless you have the Master Summoner Archtype than it's either summon monster abilities OR eidilion active at any one time. Of course you can just dismiss the eidilion and resummon it as many times as you need.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:

Arasmes looks at the group and says This is Mourninglight. She is a servant of Pharasmas Boneyard and would like to help with the creature hanging here. She can ask it several questions if you all wish to know more about what occurred. A slight keening comes from the bird in and she says in celestial in a voice full of loss but also peace Six questions to be precise, as it is proscribed so shall it be.

Summon Monster III to summon a Nosoi Psychopomp and request that it cast Speak with Dead upon the creature. I hope you liked the flavoring.

"A nosoi’s song has the power to grip the spirits of those that hear it. All living and undead creatures within a 60-foot spread must make a DC 14 Will saving throw or be fascinated." Then I suggest we should all stand outside of that 60 ft spread when the strange bird is doing its thing. But where does that position us now in terms of the building and the hanging corpse?


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

That is an ability the Nosoi activates intentionally and is not always active. It's not a part of the speak with dead spell so we are safe unless we threaten the Nosoi.


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Yeah although it's not really that powerful because it only applies to the spell like ability summon monster. I can cast summon monster as a spell and not a spell like ability and still have the eidolon. I just thought it was a dumb change from the playtest but it's no problem now. My spell list has been updated accordingly with the new playtest ability. It actually worked out that the spells that I switched out I had never used anyway. Here is my new list of spells known, only 3 spells were changed. Just FYI the summon eidolon spell, which is different from the ritual to summon, can be out at the same time as the summon monster spell like ability but the eidolon is only here for 1 minute per level instead of permanently but it does mean that I get to use Augment Summoning with it.

Summoner (Evolutionist) Spells Known
2 (5/day) Glitterdust (DC 19), Haste (DC 18), Slow (DC 18), Summon Eidolon
1 (6/day) Enlarge Person (DC 17), Mage Armor (DC 18), Grease (DC 18), Unfetter (DC 17)
0 (at will) Resistance (DC 16), Mage Hand, Read Magic (DC 16), Detect Magic, Message, Arcane Mark


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:

Yeah although it's not really that powerful because it only applies to the spell like ability summon monster. I can cast summon monster as a spell and not a spell like ability and still have the eidolon. I just thought it was a dumb change from the playtest but it's no problem now. My spell list has been updated accordingly with the new playtest ability. It actually worked out that the spells that I switched out I had never used anyway. Here is my new list of spells known, only 3 spells were changed. Just FYI the summon eidolon spell, which is different from the ritual to summon, can be out at the same time as the summon monster spell like ability but the eidolon is only here for 1 minute per level instead of permanently but it does mean that I get to use Augment Summoning with it.

Summoner (Evolutionist) Spells Known
2 (5/day) Glitterdust (DC 19), Haste (DC 18), Slow (DC 18), Summon Eidolon
1 (6/day) Enlarge Person (DC 17), Mage Armor (DC 18), Grease (DC 18), Unfetter (DC 17)
0 (at will) Resistance (DC 16), Mage Hand, Read Magic (DC 16), Detect Magic, Message, Arcane Mark

To rephrase: Spells cast function independently of SLA's. Only the ritual summon of eidilion and the spell like ability of summon monster are connected. All spell casting works per the spell, not the SLA.


Clari Miali'ahel wrote:

Kae helps Brett search for evidence.

Clari has no need for nother Blade, with Keravel, and will return it to brett once they get back, as he seemed interested. She'll be glad to give him any information about it she can. she does hold on to it while Brett is away with Kae.

"Councilwoman Kane, er Baroness? What exactly do i call you now?" Clari asks Ariarh, approaching the Druid, really for the first time. "Whatever it'd be, you know tracking and such better than I, so would you give me a hand looking around this room to come up with what in the Infinate Abyss happened in here to these curs, while the bird over there works her magic?"

survival to Aid Ariarh
1d20+1
Guess Clari'll be no help there...

Perception
1d20+10
to look for other forms of evidence or clues.

As they search, the search, Clari seems oddly relaxed, as if the powerful stench of death does not phase her at all, but instead she wanders around the room looking things over, examining the bodies and dried blood for any sorts of signs of what occurred here.

Brett, being pleased by the gift, nods once and sheaths it somewhat awkwardly in his belt. Patting down his clothes, he plucks an apple and tosses it to Clari, who catches it. She is free to munch on it – or not, even as she walks back to the main chamber, and Brett goes down to the water.

Regarding search for evidence in the Main Room

Wow – this is a tough answer, but an easy determination.

First of all – the entire room is already filled with the horses. Any potential track or not of value is now completely lost with the horses – who have stamped their muddy hooves on much of the boards, and who are also shivering in the damp air. Further – as the building is not completely sound structurally – there are currently many holes in the roof. The rain is leaking badly, and the water level is about maybe just enough that there are a few standing puddles – but any signs of tracks are now completely gone.

You do remember that there was enough circumstantial evidence to suggest these bodies were killed/knocked unconscious outside the building, and dragged inside for the “fun” to start. But that is all you know on that matter.

For now – your collective examination will indicate very little at this time. The rain, the horses, and the general disarray of the room – there is really nothing more of note. This was a meeting hall for a small village. The village fell to disrepair when local fisherfolk who congregated here stopped coming when the fishing fell off. The “houses” eventually fell to rot, for they were cheaply made. The inn fell to rot – for there were no tenets – and the innkeeper moved on. Only this main building remained, for it was the largest and most well crafted – and occasional trackers or wanders who rode by – looking for a place to camp – would use the main building for protection from the weather.

Burning furniture rather then chopping it – not bothering to dig a ditch for a latrine if they were going to be here only a night – and leaving rubbish around the room, as it wasn’t their house – this was pretty much the state of things when it was discovered by whoever did the killings.

But clues to those killings are now lost. As I said – the room is large, true – but not really meant for all the horses and ponies. This has basically nerfed any search here for evidence. Clues for tracks outside may have worked – if action were taken quickly – but only Brett and Kae searched outside – and now it is raining heavily.

Therefore – what questions will you ask this creature – now that it is dead – and Arasmes is there to question it?


Isani Isu wrote:

Saying a small prayer for the burned creature in the fireplace, she turns to the folk near her and translates out aloud the parchment,

"This parchment nailed to the fireplace wall, it is written in Ancient Osiriani. This strange hybrid creature tortured, dismembered and burned in the fire, I believe this message is a death sentence or a warning to others of like mind or will. It says, Death to Apostates! Death to Heretics! May the Master curse all Traitors. May their bones wither, may their body rot, may they know darkness and despair. It is either a warning or a curse."

Then bending closer to the ashes, examines them to determine if there is anything in them apart from the bones of this poor unfortunate creature.

Perception: 1d20+7

Again – Isani – nothing of note here. You only find more succinct evidence that the creature was tortured before it died – the obvious clean breaks in the bones, for example – and other similar issues.


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Dain GM wrote:
Shaezon Silverfall wrote:

Going with Brett. Shae will examine and detect magic on the runed sword.

Percep 1d20+10

Shae - it's definitely magical - as to the runes - you'll probably want a Linguistics roll to identify them. Spellcraft to identify the sword's magical power.

Spellcraft1d20+15

Linguistics 1d20+11

Shae

Clari already identified the blade with her spellcraft roll – which is good news. It’s a +2 sword. However – as she had no use for it – she gave it to Brett, who took it happily.

Meanwhile – during this process – you are able to identify the runes on the blade – at least, you guess their alphabet – but you cannot read them, for you don’t know the language.

The runes were of the Aboleth language. Again – you do not know what what the runes mean, or say.


Clari Miali'ahel wrote:

Kae helps Brett search for evidence.

Clari has no need for nother Blade, with Keravel, and will return it to Brett once they get back, as he seemed interested. She'll be glad to give him any information about it she can. she does hold on to it while Brett is away with Kae.

As they search, the search, Clari seems oddly relaxed, as if the powerful stench of death does not phase her at all, but instead she wanders around the room looking things over, examining the bodies and dried blood for any sorts of signs of what occurred here.

Searching outside

While everyone is in the room – Brett has wandered down to the waterline – and Kae has come with him. The two of them fan out a bit – searching the area. They can see evidence of tracks here – even with the rain – for the tracks are very deep. Large sailing crafts were here – it looks like folk dragged some rafts, and skiffs – directly onto the beach – it has left deep ruts in the small grainy sand here. To be fair – the “sand” is more gravel then sand – seasonal flooding usually keeps most vegetation from growing this close to the water.

Seeing evidence that there were skiffs that were dragged here, Kae and Brett spread out – they move to a short dock, mostly rotted. There are no vessels there. Wandering further – they come to a small boat house. Inside they find a very large boat – but it has a massive hole in it – and has sunk to the bottom of the water.

However – on the far side of the boat house, they find some tarps. Under the tarps they discover three rowboats – about 15 feet in length (you’d guess that it could hold about 8 people comfortably – without being caulked or finished – if you put more then that in there, it would likely sink the boat) – and, somewhat close by – you find a wide raft. The raft is big enough that it could also hold about 8 people – or a few horses?

Heading quickly back to the beach where the heavy scuff marks were – Brett and Kae are able to see that there was definitely something dragged here recently. That much they are clear – probably in the past 24 hours. More then that? You would guess three skiffs. You would guess that if the skiffs were the size of the one you saw earlier – then anywhere from 20 – 30 people could have crossed (30 – if the other skiffs were in good repair).

Seeing these details, and feeling the heavy falling of the rain, Brett glances at Kae.

”Well lad? What’s next? Maybe we ought to go fetch the others – and get cracking, eh?” Brett says to Kae.


Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:

Yeah although it's not really that powerful because it only applies to the spell like ability summon monster. I can cast summon monster as a spell and not a spell like ability and still have the eidolon. I just thought it was a dumb change from the playtest but it's no problem now. My spell list has been updated accordingly with the new playtest ability. It actually worked out that the spells that I switched out I had never used anyway. Here is my new list of spells known, only 3 spells were changed. Just FYI the summon eidolon spell, which is different from the ritual to summon, can be out at the same time as the summon monster spell like ability but the eidolon is only here for 1 minute per level instead of permanently but it does mean that I get to use Augment Summoning with it.

Summoner (Evolutionist) Spells Known
2 (5/day) Glitterdust (DC 19), Haste (DC 18), Slow (DC 18), Summon Eidolon
1 (6/day) Enlarge Person (DC 17), Mage Armor (DC 18), Grease (DC 18), Unfetter (DC 17)
0 (at will) Resistance (DC 16), Mage Hand, Read Magic (DC 16), Detect Magic, Message, Arcane Mark

Thank you very much on the FYI. That is very helpful, as I’m still catching up on the Summoners in general. But, as for the power level? Well – I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. It’s just my opinion – but I feel the Eidolon is excruciatingly powerful – especially as it is a flying mount that puts you free from most creatures on the ground (in this case, though not all Eidolons are built as flying mounts) – and, when mounted, or at least very close to the Eidolon – quite a few of your bonuses hop up in terms of bonuses to AC and such. Further – again – this is just a hypothetical case – if you were riding the Eidolon so that no land based creatures could attack you and only air based creatures could attack you, or ones with crazy ranged weapons – then you’d be in a tight spot unless you could have Air based creatures fighting with or for you – which you could, if you could summon them while being on the Eidolon – who would fight for you.

And – naturally – since your summon monster creatures are out anyway – as a “spell-like” ability – they last minutes instead of rounds, which is apparently very good – since that’s about 10x what a normal summoned monster would last. This means that a Summoner who was on or near an Eidolon – especially mounted on one that could fly could therefore summon a host of Air Elementals to use whirlwind behind him to deflect arrows – even assuming he wasn’t flying high enough that arrows couldn’t reach him. That does seem pretty powerful to me, and I guess that’s why they nerfed it – to name a few reasons; never mind ones that I haven’t even mentioned.

Of course – as you stated – it’s all good. Though I do find it somewhat confusing that you would suggest it’s “hardly worth it” – then decide to make “Summon Eidolon” a spell you can learn – especially since Summoners are only able to cast a few known spells – but they can cast them quite a bit – for a long time. I mean – if it’s not that good – why bother? Oh well – like I said, I don’t know much about Summoners.

Meanwhile – interesting choice to keep summoning monsters who can cast spells that the party hasn’t memorized! That’s a good bonus – because normally none of your group would have been able to solve as many problems with their magic – as they don’t know the spells, or have access to them. Luckily – it seems that is not the case here. So – good times again. It is kind of a shame that the other Caster’s in the party aren’t as powerful – but, again – it is a team effort, so that the team succeeds is the main goal. And you all are very close to succeeding with this mission. So – yay team good!

I should add – based on Arasmes’s relative power level to the group – well, generally its one of the reasons the enemy is a bit more difficult; you’ve really helped out quite a bit, and the party is much more powerful, thanks to your presence – but, given Arasmes’s power level in general – you are able to negate much of the enemy with ease, causing everything to break even most of the time, so that’s okay. I just didn’t want you to think I was overextending my bad-guys to be “mean”. You’ve certainly got the chops to handle most of them pretty easily – and, as for the rest of the party? Well – to quote Magneto (and coincidently, Galen… hmmm…. Oh, I’m sure that’s all a coincidence via their personalities), well, if you do get in a battle where the monsters seem very hard – In Chess – the pawns always go first! – though I’m not too sure how the rest of the group would like that statement, LOL.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

To Brett:
"The runes on the sword are in Alboeth, an evil subterranean race of creatures. I'd recommend treating that sword with the utmost caution as we don't know it's implications or why it was arbitrarily left in the mud."

Edit: SHae will re-join the group


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:

To Brett:

"The runes on the sword are in Alboeth, an evil subterranean race of creatures. I'd recommend treating that sword with the utmost caution as we don't know it's implications or why it was arbitrarily left in the mud."

Edit: SHae will re-join the group

Sounds good - though you would know that Alboleth are actually better defined as "Sub-aquatic" creatures - living under water, not land. Also - many races uses that alphabet - generally, though - they aren't "Happy" or "good" races.... However - you are now back with the group. If you have any suggestions on what to ask the corpse - please let me know.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:
Shaezon Silverfall wrote:

To Brett:

"The runes on the sword are in Alboeth, an evil subterranean race of creatures. I'd recommend treating that sword with the utmost caution as we don't know it's implications or why it was arbitrarily left in the mud."

Edit: SHae will re-join the group

Sounds good - though you would know that Alboleth are actually better defined as "Sub-aquatic" creatures - living under water, not land. Also - many races uses that alphabet - generally, though - they aren't "Happy" or "good" races.... However - you are now back with the group. If you have any suggestions on what to ask the corpse - please let me know.

Good point.

To the group inside, "The magic sword found is written in the language of a generally non-good aquatic creatures. You may want to ask the corpse something along those lines. My best guess is that something attacked them from under the water."


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53
Dain GM wrote:
Thank you very much on the FYI. That is very helpful, as I’m still catching up on the Summoners in general. But, as for the power level? Well – I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. It’s just my opinion – but I feel the Eidolon is excruciatingly powerful – especially as it is a flying mount that puts you free from most creatures on the ground (in this case, though not all Eidolons are built as flying mounts) – and, when mounted, or at least very close to the Eidolon – quite a few of your bonuses hop up in terms of bonuses to AC and such. Further – again – this is just a hypothetical case – if you were riding the Eidolon so that no land based creatures could attack you and only air based creatures could attack you, or ones with crazy ranged weapons – then you’d be in a tight spot unless you could have Air based creatures fighting with or for you –...

Yeah but power is relative to the person making the character more than the class itself. I can make pretty much any class very powerful. Kae for instance, for all his multiclassing, has a pretty potent build. Shae can cast Summon Monster III as well and while not have the staying power a summoner or a sorcerer does, has much more versatility and will in a couple of levels outstrip me. There are bard and monk builds, not to mention others, that I can make that would tear Arasmes and Caliphana apart if they are built right. Again I am not saying Arasmes is not a potent character, because he definitely is, but so was Alaric. Shae is very potent in his own right. Ariarh has even more versatility than Shae does at this point due to her ability to wildshape, heal, summon and all of which she can do while flying around as well. But this is a conversation we've had numerous times before...as you said it is probably best to just agree to disagree. Now back to the game! :-)

Arasmes listens to the groups suggestions as to questions and then begins asking once Mourninglight finishes the casting. Mourninglight looks at the creature and says Lost one! Awaken and attend! Return to us the knowledge of ye who have gone beyond! Attend! Attend! Attend! With the final command light returns to the eyes of the creature, awaiting the questions.

Arasmes looks at Mourninglight and says Mourninglight, please ask the creature Why were you tortured and killed? What is the Master this paper speaks of? Are there more like you in the area? Who were those that murdered you? Please ask those, honored servant of the Lady of Graves. With that Arasmes bows and lets the Nosoi ask the questions. I think the Will save should the creature wish to try and resist is DC 16


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Dain GM wrote:
Shaezon Silverfall wrote:

To Brett:

"The runes on the sword are in Alboeth, an evil subterranean race of creatures. I'd recommend treating that sword with the utmost caution as we don't know it's implications or why it was arbitrarily left in the mud."

Edit: SHae will re-join the group

Sounds good - though you would know that Alboleth are actually better defined as "Sub-aquatic" creatures - living under water, not land. Also - many races uses that alphabet - generally, though - they aren't "Happy" or "good" races.... However - you are now back with the group. If you have any suggestions on what to ask the corpse - please let me know.

Good point.

To the group inside, "The magic sword found is written in the language of a generally non-good aquatic creatures. You may want to ask the corpse something along those lines. My best guess is that something attacked them from under the water."

Seeing that Kae is clearly lost in thought – Brett gives a sigh, then trudges in back to the other room to get out of the rain. Stepping inside, he wonders why it is that sometimes getting inside can be colder then just staying outside – but says little on the matter.

Looking to the body – which, by all accounts, is still dangling from its wrists, twisting back and forth, he shakes his head in disgust and elbows his way through the horses.

”Oh for gods’ sake – can’t someone cut this basterd down and give him a proper burial? I mean – come on – if ye got questions for him – ask away, but at least… I don’t know… make that corpse comfortable, eh?” he adds, waving away a fly.

Pulling out a pipe, he lights it and begins to smoke during the proceedings.

”So you’re going to question him, eh? Or should I say “it” – gods only know, I reckon. Still,” he adds pointing to the body with his pipe stem ”we got a pestle of news. He’s stripped, eh? That means that whoever be doing this decided to take their time – probably defile the body better, as it were… Means they’re, if you’ll pardon me – professionals, eh?”

Brett takes another series of puffs on his pipe, cocking his eye and staring toward the ceiling. Galen quickly brings him up to date on the sign on the chimney.

”Huh – professional torturers – killers and such – and now the note…. Hmm… does anyone got a notion on if religious folk do hash like this – I dunno – southern types that do ritual killing and such? Maybe if that note there be some sort of notice – well, it could also be a ward or curse? Either way you slice it – why not check things out, eh?”

Brett turns a look at the stoic group.

”Ah hell – let me take a look at things while ol’ Arasmes gets his spell in order…”

Brett’s Knowledge: Religion Check
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

While Brett steps forward to consider the note and make his knowledge check, he pauses and turns to Shaezon…

”You said something on this weapon belonging to what you called an “Aboleth” or something like that? Never heard of it – what the hell is that thing? I don’t know – but you said they normally be evil like? That don’t sound good, nohow!”

Brett glances at the casters.

”Anyone here got a way to find out if this blade is “evil”, or not? I’d got a hankering to use it – it’s got a good weight – but not if it’s bloody evil… Anyone else use the blade besides Aboleth types – you know, other evil creatures? Just curious on it…” he says, lifting the blade up and catching the light on the blade, even as he continues to puff on his pipe.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

TKG for Alboeth knowledge:

Pick what's relevant and let me know what I know in character. OOC I know quite a bit.

Know Arcana 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31
Know Dungeon1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Know Engineer1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Know Geography1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Know History1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Know local1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Know Nature1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Know Nobility1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Know Planes1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Know Religion1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Spellcraft1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24
Linguistics 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28


Brett’s religion check reveals a scrap of knowledge – the two bodies were tortured to death – and the note is a curse. Specifically – the invoker of the curse is asking whatever dark forces the bodies were given over for to be accepted and suffer for all eternity for the sins that they committed. You have no idea what the sins were – but as the note was created – it speaks that the two who were executed were sinners – and, as such – their sins caused them a special brand of damnation.

FYI – this curse won’t affect the members of the party – but, if you want – you may want to try to get rid of it for the dead. Also – it may give you a clue on what kind of questions to ask.

Arasmes While the party is free to offer suggestions on what to ask – the Summoned Creature is under your control – so, you ultimately decide. But you have a strong hunch that if the guy here was tortured to death for being a “sinner” – likely he “sinned” against evil folk. Chances are – if you are here to help him – he will not be opposed to helping YOU – when you ask the questions. So – if you ask the right questions, he’ll go to bat for you on answering, and not resist. Provided the questions are the right ones…


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

SUggestion to arames;

"Ask him about what species attacked."


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

I already asked the questions above based upon what I had gotten at that point.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Kae returns behind brett, after taking a closer look at the boats to see which have the least damage, and informs the party, "We have found boats outside, several of them, enough to carry 8 people a piece. There is also a raft that we could likely put a few horses on, although i am not sure horses would do well on the island, so perhaps we should lie the horses in one of the less destroyed house to keep them safe. I can find a place to stable them, so we can leave sooner than later."

Perception check looking at the boats
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26

Perception to find a place to stable to horses
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17


Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
I already asked the questions above based upon what I had gotten at that point.

To Arasmes

Quick Clarification - I thought those were the questions you wanted to ask - and that you were getting a series of questions from the whole group, before you asked the questions directly. That way - if someone had a new idea you didn't think of - you could go with it instead.

Remember: The spell Speak with Dead takes 10 minutes to prep - and as Arasmses is personally not prepping - rather, your summoned friend is - you have time to listen to the others, their suggestions, and - if you want to - reformulate your questions to add in any details you think would be better.

Ultimately, though - the questions asked are under your command, but, if you want to come up with new ones - we can do that too. Just let me know if you old questions still stand - if you have new ones - or, if you want to ask 1 at a time - because maybe his first answer will answer 2 questions you would ask by coincidence - or make you want to ask a third question.

Again - to expedite this process - I'm giving you some latitude - the party can contribute their suggestions - but, it is up to you to make the final call.

I just need to know - are the questions you posed before your final questions - or do you want to restructure them differently? It's totally up to you. Just let me know...

FYI - more details for you and Shae on the Discussion thread. But, I warn you - it's a bit of along post - even for me.... But, it does have lots of information.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

Kae returns behind brett, after taking a closer look at the boats to see which have the least damage, and informs the party, "We have found boats outside, several of them, enough to carry 8 people a piece. There is also a raft that we could likely put a few horses on, although i am not sure horses would do well on the island, so perhaps we should lie the horses in one of the less destroyed house to keep them safe. I can find a place to stable them, so we can leave sooner than later."

Perception check looking at the boats
1d20+11

Perception to find a place to stable to horses
1d20+11

To Kae

1. The boats have largely been untouched - you'd guess that they're sort of "community fishing vessels" - there's places for a lot more boats, but these are all that are left.

And - as they are covered with tarps - other then the wood being a little damp - and the ropes being chewed out - you find that they're all able to sail quite well.

Further - one of the rowboats actually is a bit longer then you suspected - though it can only hold 8 - you notice in the middle of the boat a heavy iron locking mechanism - quick search in the boat reveals this mechanism will hold a small mast - which is laid in the boats hull. The mast, and the beam are both there - the tarp could function as a sail - and indeed - that may be its purpose - you only need rope and little work to set it up.

Anyone with a Profession Sailor can do this in 5 minutes - anyone with a profession Carpentry can do it in 10. Everyone else? We'll you'll need Raw Profession check of 25 - and you'll get it all set up in about 30 minutes. For every +1 you beat the check - take 1 minute off the total - for a minimum time of 10 minutes. Yes - the party can "Aid" each other on this task. You only need rope for the sail...

The sail will speed you up - but, how fast - you don't know.

A Survival check will gauge the wind - a Profession: Sailor Check will be able to gauge the speed.

In either case - if no one in the crew has a profession "sailor" check - you can still try to get the boat with the sail across.

NOTES:

Depending on how many members of the party come with you - you may need two boats.

It should be noted that the raft allows you to have a better chance of fighting from it - as it is flat (though you will need acrobatic checks to stand up in it - it is slippery) - but it is slower - and, you are less likely to be able have protection/cover then a rowboat.

A rowboat with a sail will go the fastest - but without a proper sailor in the group - it may have its own troubles - sailing in a storm, even a minor one - can prove tricky.

If you attempt to fight in the rowboat - that is - sitting down - you will be fighting from a sitting position - keep that in mind if you are fighting - but then again - it may be nothing but smooth sailing!

Stabling Horses:

Yes - for now - the best place in town to "stable" the horse is actually the town hall.

While you could tie them to the trees not far from you - the horses would have no shelter from the elements, and be in plain view.

The stable near the Inn is pretty much destroyed; so - same problem there.

The Town Hall is your best bet - the horses are - as per requested - currently inside the room anyway.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

Kae returns behind brett, after taking a closer look at the boats to see which have the least damage, and informs the party, "We have found boats outside, several of them, enough to carry 8 people a piece. There is also a raft that we could likely put a few horses on, although i am not sure horses would do well on the island, so perhaps we should lie the horses in one of the less destroyed house to keep them safe. I can find a place to stable them, so we can leave sooner than later."

Perception check looking at the boats
1d20+11

Perception to find a place to stable to horses
1d20+11

Quick Addendum:

Kae – while looking for another place to stable your horses you take the time to wander around the village. Around the back side of the Town Hall you discover some gristly remains - though no bodies, just items.

It seems there is a host of old “junk” laying in the mud, and you almost walked by it, as you figured it was nothing but junk. But closer examination allows you to see discarded clothing, a few weapons, and some gear.

Your assumption – then – is that the two inside, when they were stripped – their gear was simply tossed out. They left the items where they lay – for whatever reason, you aren’t sure.

What IS clear is that there is a collection of items you have found in the mud. Your quick eye makes some basic deductions – more then this –you may want your party to offer their opinions.

You discovered

1. 1 Set of robes – badly bloodied – the blood is darker – it does not look red, closer to black, possibly dark green – you are not certain.

2. A breastplate – the metal seems like it is steel – possibly mithril – you are not certain – but, damasked on the breastplate is the pattern of twin cobra’s rising from the ground. They are facing each other. In between them is what looks like a crude “stick figure” – sort of a “connect the dots” motif – considering the artwork on the cobra’s – the crudeness of the “connect the dots” motif is somewhat confusing to you.

3. You find a set of sandals – they look like Japanese style tabi – and they have the same blackish/greenish blood on them.

4. You find a strange looking dagger (though Waiph would probably recognize the design as a “Sai” – from Asian cultures). The handle is wide – and the same make and type of the hilt of the sword you found earlier.

1d20 + BAB to guess the stats on this weapon.

5. There are sheaths for both this dagger – and one that would match the sword you found earlier – as well as a linked belt. The belt is fancy – you’d think it is made out of some type of silver – but are not sure. The belt looks like interlocking “links” – and the links look like snake scales.

6. There is some western gear here, too. You find the remains of shredded Studded Leather – covered in blood – destroyed.

7. You find a pair of short swords laying in the mud – also covered in filth. They're both masterwork in quality - more then that - you cannot say.

8. You find clothes for a man – nothing fancy; regular Explorer’s Outfit here; including heavy boots; but they're shredded too - and covered in blood. The blood is clearly human blood.

9. Finally – you discover small pouch – inside is a few odds and ends – 3 gold pieces, 17 silver pieces, and 12 copper pieces – the gold and copper pieces have the stamp of Galt and the silver coins are from Ustalav.


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53
Dain GM wrote:
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
I already asked the questions above based upon what I had gotten at that point.

To Arasmes

Quick Clarification - I thought those were the questions you wanted to ask - and that you were getting a series of questions from the whole group, before you asked the questions directly. That way - if someone had a new idea you didn't think of - you could go with it instead.

Remember: The spell Speak with Dead takes 10 minutes to prep - and as Arasmses is personally not prepping - rather, your summoned friend is - you have time to listen to the others, their suggestions, and - if you want to - reformulate your questions to add in any details you think would be better.

Ultimately, though - the questions asked are under your command, but, if you want to come up with new ones - we can do that too. Just let me know if you old questions still stand - if you have new ones - or, if you want to ask 1 at a time - because maybe his first answer will answer 2 questions you would ask by coincidence - or make you want to ask a third question.

Again - to expedite this process - I'm giving you some latitude - the party can contribute their suggestions - but, it is up to you to make the final call.

I just need to know - are the questions you posed before your final questions - or do you want to restructure them differently? It's totally up to you. Just let me know...

FYI - more details for you and Shae on the Discussion thread. But, I warn you - it's a bit of along post - even for me.... But, it does have lots of information.

Yeah I actually incorporated some of Ariarh's questions. I only got four questions to ask and I got like 15 questions given. I picked out the ones I thought were the best. Why don't we do it this way so everyone can put in put. I'll ask the first one that I put up and then based on the answer we can come up with the next one and the next one and so on. How is that?


Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
Dain GM wrote:
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
I already asked the questions above based upon what I had gotten at that point.

To Arasmes

Quick Clarification - I thought those were the questions you wanted to ask - and that you were getting a series of questions from the whole group, before you asked the questions directly. That way - if someone had a new idea you didn't think of - you could go with it instead.

Remember: The spell Speak with Dead takes 10 minutes to prep - and as Arasmses is personally not prepping - rather, your summoned friend is - you have time to listen to the others, their suggestions, and - if you want to - reformulate your questions to add in any details you think would be better.

Ultimately, though - the questions asked are under your command, but, if you want to come up with new ones - we can do that too. Just let me know if you old questions still stand - if you have new ones - or, if you want to ask 1 at a time - because maybe his first answer will answer 2 questions you would ask by coincidence - or make you want to ask a third question.

Again - to expedite this process - I'm giving you some latitude - the party can contribute their suggestions - but, it is up to you to make the final call.

I just need to know - are the questions you posed before your final questions - or do you want to restructure them differently? It's totally up to you. Just let me know...

FYI - more details for you and Shae on the Discussion thread. But, I warn you - it's a bit of along post - even for me.... But, it does have lots of information.

Yeah I actually incorporated some of Ariarh's questions. I only got four questions to ask and I got like 15 questions given. I picked out the ones I thought were the best. Why don't we do it this way so everyone can put in put. I'll ask the first one that I put up and then based on the answer we can come up with the next one and the next one and so on. How is that?

Excellent - what's your first formal question, then?


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Why were you tortured and killed was the first one. Basically the intent was to find out if he was just being tortured because his captors were sadistic, if it was a ritual, or if he had information they wanted.


1. Why were you tortured or killed?

The corpse raises its head – and its language is recognizable – northern – with a Galtish accent. He does not have expression – and does not seem likely to oppose the attempt. The voice speaks -

”I was tortured because I was deemed a traitor.”


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

What is the Master that is mentioned in this paper? is the next one.

Arasmes frowns and says Well that was...unhelpful. Do you think it is relevant to ask him what he did to be deemed a traitor? He is asking the group as a whole for their input at this point.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

"ask who or what attacked. Shae suggests.


Okay - wait - so do you want to know who the master is formally - or what he did to be a traitor?


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

I was just asking if it was relevant to be asking about what he did to be a traitor. I was asking the group if that should be the question after this one. This question is...

Who or what is the Master? Looking over at Shae, Arasmes says Perhaps by learning about the Master we can by extension learn about those that serve it.


Cool - question 2 - Who is the master?

"The Master is so named Sati-Khaba-Shai, though I no longer serve him, he was the master who we betrayed."

Yeah - I gave you more then a simple answer - enjoy it. What's question 3?


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

She reacts instantly to the name given by the corpse. In a steady, low voice she responds to Arasmes,

"Sadiqi, this name I have heard and have spoken on with the Council when Mister Khromm spoke of the slaver city in the south and the leader's symbol of a black snake. Sati-Khaba-Shai is a priest and the leader of this city. It is said he hails from Osirion and worships the gods before gods. There was an ancient tome stored in the library of the Temple of the Eternal Sun which told of the "Old Ones" and a specific creature called the Great Serpent which was also referenced as the "Father of Lies" and "The Dark Prince". Sati-Khaba-Shai, is an Ancient Osiriani name and loosely translates to 'The Snake of Dark/Shade - Destiny'. Shade can either mean 'darkness' or it could be a reference to the Undead creature known as a Shade, a wraith-like being of dark power and menace."


Isani Isu wrote:

She reacts instantly to the name given by the corpse. In a steady, low voice she responds to Arasmes,

"Sadiqi, this name I have heard and have spoken on with the Council when Mister Khromm spoke of the slaver city in the south and the leader's symbol of a black snake. Sati-Khaba-Shai is a priest and leader of this city. It is said he hales from Osirion and worships the gods before gods. There was an ancient tome stored in the library of the Temple of the Eternal Sun which told of the "Old Ones" and a specific creature called the Great Serpent which was also referenced as the "Father of Lies" and "The Dark Prince". Sati-Khaba-Shai, is an Ancient Osiriani name and loosely translates to 'The Snake of Dark/Shade - Destiny'. Shade can either mean 'darkness' or it could be a reference to the Undead creature known as a Shade, a wraith-like being of dark power and menace."

Not sure if Isani caught this earlier - but Brett's new sword - the one with the strange runes? He's keeping it - but suggests he doesn't want an "evil" weapon - it has been suggested that it could be evil - though, of course - no one knows the nature of the sword - but Isani may have the ability to detect alignment as a spell memorized - if so - she may want to use it. Sorry - just letting you know, though.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3
Brett Rowan wrote:

Brett glances at the casters.

”Anyone here got a way to find out if this blade is “evil”, or not? I’d got a hankering to use it – it’s got a good weight – but not if it’s bloody evil… Anyone else use the blade besides Aboleth types – you know, other evil creatures? Just curious on it…” he says, lifting the blade up and catching the light on the blade, even as he continues to puff on his pipe.

I guess this is retconned ...

"Mister Brett, I have a spell which allows me to detect the presence or absence of evil ... I will undertake it for you." She casts Detect Evil and concentrates on the sword. 60 ft cone-shaped emanation, duration: concentration up to 30 mins.


Isani Isu wrote:
Brett Rowan wrote:

Brett glances at the casters.

”Anyone here got a way to find out if this blade is “evil”, or not? I’d got a hankering to use it – it’s got a good weight – but not if it’s bloody evil… Anyone else use the blade besides Aboleth types – you know, other evil creatures? Just curious on it…” he says, lifting the blade up and catching the light on the blade, even as he continues to puff on his pipe.

I guess this is retconned ...

"Mister Brett, I have a spell which allows me to detect the presence or absence of evil ... I will undertake it for you." She casts Detect Evil and concentrates on the sword. 60 ft cone-shaped emanation, duration: concentration up to 30 mins.

The sword does not radiate evil - but there is a residual "glow" of evil near the fireplace.

Concentration near the fireplace has determined that the fireplace itself has not been made unholy - a "Desecrate" spell was cast - however, it was not the fireplace that has the true focus of the energy - or even the body, but the letter you read that is the true source of the spell... It radiates unholy energy from the letter; someone cast the spell on the warning letter - how long it has been there - you don't know.

Meanwhile - other then that - everything seems fairly okay...


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Question for GM:

Isani has 'Consecrate' as one of her spells. Can she counter the Desecrate spell on the letter with it?


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53
Isani Isu wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Good use of the spell and good thinking. You should be able the way I understand how opposite spells work.


Isani Isu wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Well - you can - but it may be better to simply destroy the letter directly. As it is the source of the radiation of evil - destroying the letter should destroy the source of the desecration...

Oh yeah - toss up a Knowledge Religion or Spellcraft check - more details on this point depending on how you roll...


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Very well. What do you think the next question should be? We only have two left and not much time.


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Myself I think we should try and get some idea of what we face on the island but I am unsure of how to word the question.

8,351 to 8,400 of 10,695 << first < prev | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dain's King Maker Chronicles All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.