Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Dain's King Maker Chronicles

Game Master dain120475

Introduction

This is the Kingmaker Campaign, yet it is filled with many deviations from the boxed set. The "Campaign Information" page is meant as a quick resource to help sum up the thousands of posts quickly.


8,201 to 8,250 of 10,645 << first < prev | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | next > last >>

Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Cali is sent back to her home plane when I sleep so she won't count for space.


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Dain GM wrote:

Sounds good – however – you do have horses to consider.

Currently every member of the party each has at least one horse (though Brett has a pony) – and there is at least 2 pack horses. Horses in general are “large creatures” – and you would have 9 horses and 1 pony at this time. What would you like to do with the horses? Will they wait outside the “hut” – and if they do – can they be taken care of and watched? In this case – just looking for a plan for the four-legged beasts.

Also - where does Dior sleep? He is a medium creature, but that's up to you.

For now – Mister is currently with you, and he's very small and shnuglly - so you won't have to worry about him taking up space.

I assume we put them where we normally put them. Off to the side tied to trees or what not. Even while camping I don't think horses make good bedfellows. Though some in the Deep Deep south may disagree.

Just checking what the provision for them would be. Naturally, though - as stated - you are on open grasslands and do not see any trees for some miles.

Also - though I knew you yourself couldn't exit the hut - I was more curious to know about others. For example - if Kae went on guard duty - then, half-way through the duty - he swapped places with Brett - since the two of them are moving back and forth through the border of the hut - I wanted to make sure things would be okay.

So - yay! Sounds okay to me - but, for matter for form - knowing guard duty can be useful in the future.


Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:

Yeah Arasmes was being polite but he respects the lad's intelligence. Arasmes is actually pretty intelligent himself considering so he enjoys these sorts of conversations.

Arasmes smiles at Galen and says Well stated, but what about the planes of existence where reality is mutable?

Galen’s brow furrows a bit.

”An interesting question – and a bit of a conundrum. For of course – there are multiple planes of existence – but how many? Certainly the ones that are properly defined and cataloged – even so; there may be infinite planes as yet unknown or explored. If so – by the laws of mathematics – whenever infinity is presented as the base variable – all things are possible – including your conjecture – and the opposition of that speculation.”

”Even so – as were are not on those planes – and are not in any plane but this – at least, as far as we know – then it seems best for us to consider the realms before us. Here there are limitations to our possibilities – we have opportunities to progress – but to a limit. Some of those limits are hindrances of the mundane. Others are hindrances of far more – esoteric arguments?”

”For example – if a being is called a god for the sake of power that it possess – how much power must a being have to be called a god? Further – by what value do we measure these levels of power? We are ourselves like gods – if we align us to, say – a fly or an ant? But we are not gods – but men. And, even still – as men we are limited to a structure and rule of power. We can craft and fashion great works – more then lesser beings – even as greater beings above us can surpass all of our talents together. Even still – does that make greater beings gods to us - any more then we are gods to an ant hill?”

”Further – within the context of that power – what if a human should seek greater power, and possibly for noble ends? For example – a carpenter may spend hours to lovingly craft something. During that time he may invoke effort, blood, sweat and ingenuity to produce a unique work of art in the form of – say – something as mundane as a cabinet? However – we are magi – and we know that by simply waving our hands and invoking the right word – we are able to neatly negate all of those elements. No longer will carpenters be needed – any more then trackers, tradesmen, crafters in general – heroes, warriors of renown – knights and squires, barbarian chiefs, sailors – and through them corsairs and pirates – soldiers and men-of-honor, and so on.”

”No,” he continues ”We are magi – we negate the need for all of that. With a mere wave of our hand – and some well supped potion or well-worn amulet – we negate all of that drudgery. Entire lands are explored by simply relaxing on a couch and staring a crystal. Grave enemies are bested – not with steel, courage, wits and luck – but a wave of the hand, and the magical creation of something else to do the work for us. Indeed – in time – we may negate the need for all free folk to pursue such pedestrian issues such as exploration, cooking, sailing, and other such useless endeavors. In time I sense that all folk need only lounge in a chair – wave their hands – and then everything will be taken care of for them.”

”While some may argue this would have the whole world shorn of anything exciting and adventurous – that towns need a form of “grit” and “action” – and that free folk need to take life by throat to appreciate it best – we can use more magic to breed this folly from them. Such folk are a waste to the genetic inheritance that being magi produces. They are so much dross to us – and it would be best to eradicate such weakness – for the good of the community, of course.”

He pauses a moment, considering this.

”But – were we to take such action – using magic to eliminate the necessity of “honest work” – replacing it with the chance to relax in some comfort - seeking earthly pursuits as our power provides us with all things – and more – which we require – there are those who would claim we dabble in blasphemy; for we trying to act “godlike” in that we use our magic to supplant our purpose.”

”Naturally – that is the true essence of another conundrum. For of course – what is our purpose on this plane, and any plane? For myself, I should say that each day our true purpose is strive to be better then we were – and always pushing ourselves ahead to greatness. Even so – what is that? Should we push too hard and too fast – and achieve this greatness – then we erode the better part of ourselves that made us once great. Having achieved this greatness – we stand high among all – until we grow weak with our indulgences, and are supplanted by the next company of folk that would take our place.”

”Naturally, though – the best method to achieve this end is with power – and what better use in life for magic is power? Yet craving such power borders on blasphemy, say some priests. Even so – there are those folk who achieved godhood – when did they cease to become blasphemers seeking power – and, rather – became the gods that people worship?”

”In any case – as we are magi – this is something to consider: when do we cease to be men with some magic – and become rather spellcasters who are revered as gods? And – having reached that goal – when is it right to pursue godhood – for that pursuit may seem corrupt – yet there some beings who are called gods, and worshipped as such, by goodly priests – yet they were not gods to start, but earned that through effort and toil. In any case – an interesting conundrum.”


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Balance...that is one of the true constants of the universe that I have seen. Cause...effect...action...reaction. Throughout the history of the world various powers have waxed and waned. The wave of existence corrects itself. For instance, your statement of making mundane endeavors meaningless with a wave of a hand is true only for an extremely small minority of beings within various populations. Most do not have the natural ability or inclination to pursue the magical arts and that is not a bad thing in my opinion. Just as gods of good bent arise those that oppose them arise as well. It has always been so. Positive energy to balance the negative. Now do not mistake my statements for saying that good is equal to evil as far as we are concerned. We who stand upon the side of good fight to keep evil at bay and without that fight the balance would shift. I would suspect that a civilization that had beings of magical might such as you seek and as common would not last long. If nothing else apathy would set in for those not blessed with such ability. Since we do not live in such a world though I find not harm in exercising our abilities as we will. As for the nature of divinity and the gods, some of the gods currently in existence started as mortals themselves. Aroden himself was the first we know of to ascend to godhood using the Starstone which now lies in the center of the Starstone Cathedral in Absolom. Since this is the case I believe there to be a limit that a mortal can attain. There is only so much knowledge or power the mortal form can contain and perhaps godhood is the removal of that restriction of form and limitation of power. There are spells of great power that can be attained by ourselves in our craft. Spells that shake the ground for miles, or pull powerful creatures from across the planes, or even create demiplanes ourselves. But these pale in comparison to the abilities and powers that gods command. Where that line lies though is hard to say. Arasmes smiles and shrugs and says it will take a greater mind than mine to answer that question, Magi.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

At Shaezon's offer to magically provide shelter, she responds, "The ladies can sleep to one side and the gentlemen on the other. As for my griffon, I always have him sleep near my side, so he will be beside me. The horses will be secured close by and together, however the weather looks unsettled and it will be a cold night. I shall blanket my horse and my spare to give them some warmth tonight, I would suggest you all do the same."

Then turning to Brett and Kae specifically, "I would like Brett to take the first watch. These open grasslands do not offer much in way of protection. If you require Dior with you on your first shift he can scout from the sky and you watch from below and you will have a partner to aid you since Shaezon must remain inside the tent for his spell to continue throughout the night. We will do 2 hourly watch shifts per team. Brett and Dior will take first shift, Kae and Clari the second, Arasmes and Galen the third and Isani and I will take the last shift before dawn and then undertake our prayers. Now, let us start a fire and prepare some food. It has been a long day and we travelled further than advisable. We should retire early and rest as best as we can."


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

On Mister and Dior's second scouting mission before we set up camp (in the last 4 hours leading to sundown) did they observe anything of note?


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Arasmes nods to Ariarh before saying If I may suggest, my Lady. The watch in such a manner does not allow for enough rest for those of us, Shaezon, Galen, Kae, and myself, that require requisite rest in order to have the proper focus to perform tomorrow. If I may make a small modification? Those who are gifted of divine spells such as yourself and Isani do not require the same rest. I would suggest therefor that you keep the 2 hour shifts but have the grouping be Brett taking first, Kae taking second, Isani third, and yourself fourth. If you wish to add an additional two hours that can be done and allow everyone to get a full rest. He gives a slight bow when finished.


Ariarh Kane wrote:
On Mister and Dior's second scouting mission before we set up camp (in the last 4 hours leading to sundown) did they observe anything of note?

I'm not sure - I checked twice - but I saw nothing that indicated a second trip was being made - and in what direction, though I may have missed it.

If there was a post on the matter, please show me where - again, I may have missed it. But until I know more on direction, distance, and speed - I can't answer that question.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Ariarh Kane wrote:
At Shaezon's offer to magically provide shelter, she responds, "The ladies can sleep to one side and the gentlemen on the other"....

"Separation by gender?" Shaezon muses mirthfully "Careful we don't commingle too much or we may discover all of the womanly secrets that they no-doubt only share with one another."

Even as he speaks Shaezon chuckles and touches his broach. Speaking to the very air Shae says, "Clean the area and keep it that way throughout the night."
as he does so an amorphous energy moves purposefully. You do not see it directly, but instead you see grasses and small sticks being picked up and moved out of the area only to be gently placed on the ground. Then another and another. etc.

"Also if anyone would like to be cleaned I can do that without any need for water or undue loss of chastity."

Shaezon stands and waves as himself, concentrating briefly, and the days filth collected from riding seems to fall away from him starting at the head and finishing at the feet leaving a small ring of dirt on the ground which quickly gets swept up by the unseen servant. His clothes rustle slightly as (presumably) both sides of things are laundered. His face, skin, and nails are cleaned and trimmed. His hair even looks as though a comb has been put through it after a bath. He also smells like a pleasant musk has been applied. (all prestidigitation)

"I do love nature, but it's nice to clean it all off at the end of a day."

Looking around "Anyone else?"


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
Arasmes nods to Ariarh before saying If I may suggest, my Lady. The watch in such a manner does not allow for enough rest for those of us, Shaezon, Galen, Kae, and myself, that require requisite rest in order to have the proper focus to perform tomorrow. If I may make a small modification? Those who are gifted of divine spells such as yourself and Isani do not require the same rest. I would suggest therefor that you keep the 2 hour shifts but have the grouping be Brett taking first, Kae taking second, Isani third, and yourself fourth. If you wish to add an additional two hours that can be done and allow everyone to get a full rest. He gives a slight bow when finished.

"I can also have the unseen servant patrol after a fashion. It's not the most perceptive, but it can make noise if anything less than stealthy gets near."


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Ariarh Kane wrote:
At Shaezon's offer to magically provide shelter, she responds, "The ladies can sleep to one side and the gentlemen on the other"....

"Separation by gender?" Shaezon muses mirthfully "Careful we don't commingle too much or we may discover all of the womanly secrets that they no-doubt only share with one another."

Even as he speaks Shaezon chuckles and touches his broach. Speaking to the very air Shae says, "Clean the area and keep it that way throughout the night."
as he does so an amorphous energy moves purposefully. You do not see it directly, but instead you see grasses and small sticks being picked up and moved out of the area only to be gently placed on the ground. Then another and another. etc.

"Also if anyone would like to be cleaned I can do that without any need for water or undue loss of chastity."

Shaezon stands and waves as himself, concentrating briefly, and the days filth collected from riding seems to fall away from him starting at the head and finishing at the feet leaving a small ring of dirt on the ground which quickly gets swept up by the unseen servant. His clothes rustle slightly as (presumably) both sides of things are laundered. His face, skin, and nails are cleaned and trimmed. His hair even looks as though a comb has been put through it after a bath. He also smells like a pleasant musk has been applied. (all prestidigitation)

"I do love nature, but it's nice to clean it all off at the end of a day."

Looking around "Anyone else?"

”Huh!” Brett says with his own chuckle at Shaezon’s comment. He turns to Ariarh –

”Never heard so much cheek from a lad who’d want to curry favor with a lass who runs the country. Hell – didn’t he want to get some land at some point? You’d think he be a little more friendly-like with the one running the show. After all - he ain’t got the land, yet – but that’s all I’ll say,” he adds - not really talking to anyone in particular - just speaking aloud.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Brett Rowan wrote:

”Huh!” Brett says with his own chuckle at Shaezon’s comment. He turns to Ariarh –

”Never heard so much cheek from a lad who’d want to curry favor with a lass who runs the country. Hell – didn’t he want to get some land at some point? You’d think he be a little more friendly-like with the one running the show. After all - he ain’t got the land, yet – but that’s all I’ll say,” he adds - not really talking to anyone in particular - just speaking aloud.

Shaezon smiles warmly and thinks to himself, "That's quite possibly the first time the halfling has joked with me."

"Diplomacy has never been my strong suite, Master Brett. I'm liable to continue to make similar fopaux [/ooc](no idea how to spell that)[/ooc] as time goes on. The best I can hope for is to continue to make myself useful."


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Arasmes looks around at the construct with an expression of delight. Very nicely done, Shaezon-golwen. A cleaning would be most appreciated.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Neither Kae nor Clari have K local, nobility, nor History, although the others could roll it...

Knowledge checks:

Kae:
History: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
local: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
nobility:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Clari:
History: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Local: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
If you'll allow them...

Con Checks Not fort saves?
Kae: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
1d6 ⇒ 2

Clari: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
1d6 ⇒ 3

Dain, how do you want to run the whole 8 hours rest thing? being casters we should know exactly how much rest we need and what we can do while "resting" and still have enough. So i'd like a ruling before weighing in on how we should set up our watches.

Kae responds to Shaezon' offer, "Don't mind if i do" and making a similar gesture, minus the material components, the grime on Kae is pushed to the side and his hair takes on a sleekness and shine that he has neglected to create since they went to the Temple. "Ah, it feelsnice to be keeping up appearences..." He helps "stable" the horses, to ensure they don't run off, as others prepare food.


Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
Arasmes looks around at the construct with an expression of delight. Very nicely done, Shaezon-golwen. A cleaning would be most appreciated.

Galen watches Shaezon, then turns and gives Arasmes a somewhat smug look.

”There – you see? This is the future – not grubbing in the dirt like peasants might. Any who refuse to cleave to magic will inevitably be left behind. Hearken to my theories, and then consider them,” he adds, with a somewhat serious tone, even as he also sounds trite condescending, as if “teaching” not talking.

”Firstly – magic is superior in all fashion, and all creatures should observe this. With magic we can eliminate the need for any who would offer their service for “cleaning” – magic takes care of it. Magic takes care of “guard duty” – and magic takes care of transportation – even as your steed Cali shows us. Magic eliminates the need for our party to bumble about on the plains like fools. We have no need to seek the southlands and the adventures there – with magic – we can simply create something else to do it for us!”

”We can eliminate candle makers – magic provides light! We can eliminate crafters of all kinds – magic can allow you to craft! We can eliminate the need to watch our camp – magic takes care of that for us. We can eliminate the need to even have a camp! For magic does the job. We need no food – for we can magically conjure magical feasts! We need not prepare these feasts – cooking being foolish – magic takes care of the issue for us with the right spell, which is easy to learn.”

”We need not produce armies – we can summon guardians for us to do the job. We need not have battle – magic can solve the problem for us. We need ride through the open grass to rescue our allies – we need only use magic to discover their presence – why should we even risk ourselves with scouting when magic is there to do it for us? And – having discovered our allies location – why should we bother to rescue them when we could merely teleport them magically home?”

”Oh, I know – some say this adherence to good common sense regarding the place of magic may erode a facsimile of “poetry” and passion in life. Naturally – they are fools. What – my Master is an elf – would you have him riding a steed over the grasslands, striding into a tavern covered with leather armor and grim features from his hard journey? How ridiculous! It is much more fitting for magi to simply stand outside a building – and have magic open the door – while magic shields us from the wind, the rain, the weather, the darkness – danger, work, toil, trouble, strife, conflict, or any such fool concern.”

”Indeed,” Galen says, turning to Arasmes directly ”You are already close to my thinking in this matter – surely! You can see no need for a horse, you have magic to summon a steed. There is no need for armor – magic will shield you. No need for weapons – you have magic to thwart an enemy.”

Galen turns a proud eye on Shaezon.

”Indeed – my Master is the best of the lot – this much is clear. While you all trouble yourself with mundane issues like solving mysteries – or how to prepare to outwit a foe – or the basic stratagem of combat in the field – my Master shows you the way, and you simply ignore it! He does not care for solving mysteries – why should he? Summon a Celestial being – and they shall provide the answer to any riddle. He has no need to act like some sort of vagabond frontiersmen – some wandering fool knight riding from place to place – some dark and brooding barbarian running across the plains toward adventure – he has magic – and I have magic – which is why our kind is – and shall always be – superior.”


Brett looks at Galen with a rather flat look.

”Yeah – so what, you’re saying is that you’d rather us all lounge around on couches and simply gorge ourselves on food and so on – letting spellslinging do the work for us? No quests – no adventures – no chance for glory? Just sit around in pristeen fancy robes, having magic-made servants feed you grapes? Huh! What kind of life is that?”


”Well I should say it is a very safe and comfortable life,” Galen retorts – somewhat miffed by the sentiment that Brett offers.

”Why shouldn’t we do as such? It would free our mind to do nothing but think deep thoughts on profound matters. No troubling with a lack of food – for we will be magically fed. No trouble with a lack of shelter – even as you see here. No trouble with filth, disease, or work at all – we have magic for that! Indeed – the school my Master seeks to create – with folk like the goodly Arasmes – certainly this must be their ultimate endeavor, as I see it. Else why pursue such work so long? Surely the “end game” is to eliminate everything from us that would tie us down to doing anything that would involve physical labor – or hard work. Certainly there would be study – but what of it? Our minds would be free from any terrestrial burdens – and we could simply lay back and relax with out thoughts – not troubled by work, or toil, or challenge, or difficulty – or any single thing that a person may call “adventure” – for what is adventure, if not risk with the chance of death? Danger at every corner – trials, troubles, tribulations in general. None of that is a safe thing – and therefore – as it is dangerous – it cannot be a good thing!”


”So – basically – you’re saying that the idea of riding around getting into what you call “adventure” – dirt on your nails – grit, toil, a little sweat and elbow grease – that you don’t find that appealing on any level? That all you want to do is sit around on some blame couch and magic-up all your needs, just so you can avoid any of that kind of stress, just so you can avoid any kind of… I dunno… “real life”?” Brett asks.

”Because,” Brett adds slowly ”If that were your purpose – you could have stayed behind and just lounged around “magicking-up” some sort of grapes back at the town. If doing work or “adventuring” ain’t your sort of thing – maybe things will be better for you in the future, if that’s your preference?” Brett retorts somewhat casually.

”I am here – because my Master is here – and where he goes, I go. But, I see my Master as a veritable pilgrim to heathens. Every day he makes it clear his purpose – and his mission. In a way – you could say he is on a holy quest – for to us – magic is our religion. It is from which power flows – and from power comes great strength – and with strength – comes luxury. I know this to be true – as does he – I shall therefore cleave to his command – for I believe he is only here to seek power. Certainly his presence is impressive to you – and when you are properly impressed – he will be rewarded – with those rewards – power shall grow. Then you will see… you will all see,” Galen adds the last – almost to himself, but it is not with a pleasant tone.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:
”Indeed – my Master is the best of the lot – this much is clear. While you all trouble yourself with mundane issues like solving mysteries – or how to prepare to outwit a foe – or the basic stratagem of combat in the field – my Master shows you the way, and you simply ignore it! He does not care for solving mysteries – why should he? Summon a Celestial being – and they shall provide the answer to any riddle. He has no need to act like some sort of vagabond frontiersmen – some wandering fool knight riding from place to place – some dark and brooding barbarian running across the plains toward adventure – he has magic – and I have magic – which is why our kind is – and shall always be – superior.”

APPRENTICE! Shaezon says angrily just shy of a yell. (P.S. Shaezon doesn't yell)

Intimidate 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Composing himself and shaking his head slightly (a look of disappointment in his apprentice) and speaking in the calm tone of a teacher.

"You are too smart for your own good at times, but you test my patience. You are young and have much to learn about the world. Perhaps I have given you too much leeway. You will learn respect and humility. I prefer those lessons come the easy way." Deep breath then continuing."Magic is a tool like any other. It is an excellent tool when used wisely. However, if Master Brett here choose to he'd have a bullet through your head before you had a chance to raise a defense. Then how superior would you and your magic be?" The question is rhetorical and Shaezon doesn't wait for a response."You are gifted with a brilliant mind, but in no way does that make you superior, only fortunate. You are not better than other, merely luckier. I have seen far too many smug Magi trying to prove their superiority in self destructive ways."

Shae looks distant and thoughtful for a moment then directly into his apprentices eyes. "If you value me as a teacher you will heed my words even if you do not truly believe them yet. Had you yourself never come across your ancestral spell book you too would be without the gift of the magi. Then you would be a very brilliant and completely mundane scribe, like many others."

Then very sternly "Humility, respect, and self control are at the core of all magi worthy of praise. Those lacking tend to end their lives in most horrific manner."

"Starting this instant the first thing you will do is comport yourself with some shred of humility. Even if you do not feel it is justified you will pretend until you understand. If you have concerns or disagree you will come to me with it and we will discuss it privately. You will show respect to all of our companions if they have magic or if they do not as they all have value. Have I made myself perfectly clear?"


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Dain GM wrote:
”Indeed – my Master is the best of the lot – this much is clear. While you all trouble yourself with mundane issues like solving mysteries – or how to prepare to outwit a foe – or the basic stratagem of combat in the field – my Master shows you the way, and you simply ignore it! He does not care for solving mysteries – why should he? Summon a Celestial being – and they shall provide the answer to any riddle. He has no need to act like some sort of vagabond frontiersmen – some wandering fool knight riding from place to place – some dark and brooding barbarian running across the plains toward adventure – he has magic – and I have magic – which is why our kind is – and shall always be – superior.”

APPRENTICE! Shaezon says angrily just shy of a yell. (P.S. Shaezon doesn't yell)

Intimidate 1d20+8

Composing himself and shaking his head slightly (a look of disappointment in his apprentice) and speaking in the calm tone of a teacher.

"You are too smart for your own good at times, but you test my patience. You are young and have much to learn about the world. Perhaps I have given you too much leeway. You will learn respect and humility. I prefer those lessons come the easy way." Deep breath then continuing."Magic is a tool like any other. It is an excellent tool when used wisely. However, if Master Brett here choose to he'd have a bullet through your head before you had a chance to raise a defense. Then how superior would you and your magic be?" The question is rhetorical and Shaezon doesn't wait for a response."You are gifted with a brilliant mind, but in no way does that make you superior, only fortunate. You are not better than other, merely luckier. I have seen far too many smug Magi trying to prove their superiority in self destructive ways."

Shae looks distant and thoughtful for a moment then directly into his apprentices eyes. "If you value me as a teacher you will heed my words even if you do not truly believe them yet. Had...

"Very clear... Master," Galen says, somewhat stiffly, but clearly he obeys.


”Huh – well, maybe we can get some shut-eye,” Brett retorts with a bit of a grumble.

”Fair enough – now, maybe we can bunk down – and then prep our journey in the morning. Meantime – if we don’t got any plans on what to do next – then let’s hit the hay and sleep!”


HP: 47 AC: 14 Hexblade 5

Clari's saves and checks are above.

"I too require rest, Arasmes, before I can prepare my magic." Clari comments, having been left off the list of prepared casters.

Before turning in, Clari approaches Galen, now that he is no longer involved with many others in conversation. She quietly asks him, "What about those that cannot use magic? It is not as common as you seem to think. What arcanist is going to supply light to every peasant in the city? Why, does it not make sense to leave them in the dark and fend for themselves, if they cannot perform magic? In your world are they culled, ignored, supported? How do they survive in your world?"


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Arasmes looks at the interplay between Brett, Galen, and Shaezon with interest. Arasmes had felt a similar feeling of superiority for a very short while after Caliphana came to him and his magical abilities manifest but Caliphana shook that clear of him quickly after he mouthed off to her once. Being taken by the throat and having his life an inch from being crushed out of him is a strong lesson in humility and respect. Seeing the way Shaezon handled it, Arasmes gives him a nod of respect before settling into his bedroll.

His eyes shining silver in the night, Arasmes lets his gaze linger a moment on the lithe form of Isani. A beautiful and incredibly remarkable woman. he thinks as he closes his eyes and drifts off to sleep.


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Sorry Clari forgot you were a magus.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Brett Rowan wrote:

”Huh – well, maybe we can get some shut-eye,” Brett retorts with a bit of a grumble.

”Fair enough – now, maybe we can bunk down – and then prep our journey in the morning. Meantime – if we don’t got any plans on what to do next – then let’s hit the hay and sleep!”

"Sleep well." Shaezon says then motions to the ceiling and the light lowers inside to a pleasant darkness without being pitch black.

Dain GM wrote:
"Very clear... Master," Galen says, somewhat stiffly, but clearly he obeys.

With a look of concern tempered with irritation shaezon looks at his apprentice. He breaths deeply then his face changes to one of calm as when dealing with an unruly child.

Shae looks to Galen and motions for him to sit by him. Assuming he complies Shaezon speaks to Galen very quietly as to not disturb those who wish to sleep.

"I am sorry I yelled. It was unprofessional. I am concerned about your views on magic and the world. You are young, so a certain amount of arrogance is to be expected. However, I fear you may be going down a road that I have seen countless other magi traveling. It is a short road that does not end well for you. Please try to understand how magic is a powerful tool, but it is only a tool. Do not grow overconfident believing yourself to be above reproach. You are inarguably very smart, but you have yet to show wisdom. This can be done in word and deed. Power without wisdom is worthless. Wisdom starts with understanding that everyone has value. The non-magical are not our playthings and they are not mere drones. I pray you learn that the easy way."
Looking his apprentice directly Shae's eyes almost pleading, "Please promise me in earnest that you will try to grasp this concept."

Any amount of sense motive will tell you that Shae has seen this story play out before and it was not a good thing.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
Arasmes nods to Ariarh before saying If I may suggest, my Lady. The watch in such a manner does not allow for enough rest for those of us, Shaezon, Galen, Kae, and myself, that require requisite rest in order to have the proper focus to perform tomorrow. If I may make a small modification? Those who are gifted of divine spells such as yourself and Isani do not require the same rest. I would suggest therefor that you keep the 2 hour shifts but have the grouping be Brett taking first, Kae taking second, Isani third, and yourself fourth. If you wish to add an additional two hours that can be done and allow everyone to get a full rest. He gives a slight bow when finished.

Ariarh turns vivid, angry eyes on Arasmes but her voice is steady and low. "So, what I hear you offer is for me or Isani to take on extra watch so you, Galen and Clari may rest and slumber uninterrupted? I who spent a great portion of this day in work whilst you all did nothing. My watch allocation was one of fairness where all the party pull their weight. If you cannot do the full two hours like the others, then you will take an hour's watch and so shall Galen and Clari and it will still allow you enough rest so you may perform magic on the morrow. In what order, I leave to you. But it shall be done. Am I clear, Arasmes?"


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Clari Miali'ahel wrote:

Clari's saves and checks are above.

"I too require rest, Arasmes, before I can prepare my magic." Clari comments, having been left off the list of prepared casters.

Before turning in, Clari approaches Galen, now that he is no longer involved with many others in conversation. She quietly asks him, "What about those that cannot use magic? It is not as common as you seem to think. What arcanist is going to supply light to every peasant in the city? Why, does it not make sense to leave them in the dark and fend for themselves, if they cannot perform magic? In your world are they culled, ignored, supported? How do they survive in your world?"

"I swear I am surrounded by selfish companions! Those who perform arcane magic, except for Shaezon who is required for his tent spell to function, will each take an hour's watch. If you don't like my command, you are free to jump on your horse and return to Saravale. End of discussion." She stands tall before them all, eyes direct and focused and waiting to see if her command would again be questioned.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Ariarh Kane wrote:
Clari Miali'ahel wrote:

Clari's saves and checks are above.

"I too require rest, Arasmes, before I can prepare my magic." Clari comments, having been left off the list of prepared casters.

Before turning in, Clari approaches Galen, now that he is no longer involved with many others in conversation. She quietly asks him, "What about those that cannot use magic? It is not as common as you seem to think. What arcanist is going to supply light to every peasant in the city? Why, does it not make sense to leave them in the dark and fend for themselves, if they cannot perform magic? In your world are they culled, ignored, supported? How do they survive in your world?"

"I swear I am surrounded by selfish companions! Those who perform arcane magic, except for Shaezon who is required for his tent spell to function, will each take an hour's watch. If you don't like my command, you are free to jump on your horse and return to Saravale. End of discussion!"

politely "If I may, I can take a watch. I am an elf and only reverie for four hours and I can quite clearly see outside the spell as well as send lights to the distant wood as needed. Also Mister will assist as he can see in the dark and is quite stealthy. I only ask that my watch either be the first or the last, please."

May as well practice what I preach about humility.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Dain, a ruling on rest would be valuable here...

"Ry, Arasmes was simply pointing out that it takes time for many of us to build up the necessary energies to renew our magical abilities. Honestly, only Clari and I use our magic 'Selfishly'. The rest of the groub benifits from the magic of the others greatly."

Privately to Ariarh (likly around the time Clari approaches Galen), Kae asks, "Is there something else in particular bothering you. This is a harsh situation we are in, perfect reason for stress, but i wanted to make sure there is nothing else weighing upon you. I know I have been rather inattentive lately, and I apologize. I am seeking to remedy that."


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Shaezon Silverfall wrote:

politely "If I may, I can take a watch. I am an elf and only reverie for four hours and I can quite clearly see outside the spell as well as send lights to the distant wood as needed. Also Mister will assist as he can see in the dark and is quite stealthy. I only ask that my watch either be the first or the last, please."

May as well practice what I preach about humility.

Turning calmer eyes on the wizard, "You may take first watch, Shaezon, followed then by Brett. Your service as well as Mister's is appreciated. Thank you."


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Ariarh Kane wrote:
Shaezon Silverfall wrote:

politely "If I may, I can take a watch. I am an elf and only reverie for four hours and I can quite clearly see outside the spell as well as send lights to the distant wood as needed. Also Mister will assist as he can see in the dark and is quite stealthy. I only ask that my watch either be the first or the last, please."

May as well practice what I preach about humility.

Turning calmer eyes on the wizard, "You may take first watch, Shaezon, followed then by Brett. Your service as well as Mister's is appreciated. Thank you."

Shaezon nods his acquiescence.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

Dain, a ruling on rest would be valuable here...

"Ry, Arasmes was simply pointing out that it takes time for many of us to build up the necessary energies to renew our magical abilities. Honestly, only Clari and I use our magic 'Selfishly'. The rest of the groub benifits from the magic of the others greatly."

Privately to Ariarh (likly around the time Clari approaches Galen), Kae asks, "Is there something else in particular bothering you. This is a harsh situation we are in, perfect reason for stress, but i wanted to make sure there is nothing else weighing upon you. I know I have been rather inattentive lately, and I apologize. I am seeking to remedy that."

Walking toward Kae and speaking in quiet tones, "I have observed on many occupations the inequity of duties in this group. A small few will do all the work and the others? Float about or run personal errands or expect others to do what must be done by all. I am tired by it all, Kae. I am in need of rest but did you hear me excuse myself because I need to sleep or I will be fatigued upon morning? No, I gave myself last watch. This group needs to work better, fairly and more cohesively. And, it is about time I spoke and was heard, big brother. I am the elected leader."


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Heading to bed, so preemptive perception check

Perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

She listened and did not speak a word. The presumptions and assertions, the slant toward a world only full of magic. She also heard the tiredness in the Lady Druid's voice, recognised the strain, yet the leader kept her voice even. Still, there was power behind her words. And these people intent on doing the best for themselves without thought to the best for the whole ... They were not a united group, this band of riders.

Speaking up to none in particular, her accent filling the darkening spaces around them, "The world requires balance as in all things. It needs and wants non-magical creatures as much as it does magical beings. If you remove one aspect you disturb the balance and the equation becomes unstable, fragile, unknown. The power of magic has the ability to corrupt. Imagine a world where magical competition were rife because there were no differences? Spellcasters would make themselves extinct in due course. Power exists in different ways and sometimes the ant can be the most industrious."

Giving her attention to their leader, "Lady Ariarh, if you require me to relieve another watch, I am at your service", bowing gracefully before the druid.


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53
Ariarh Kane wrote:
Clari Miali'ahel wrote:

Clari's saves and checks are above.

"I too require rest, Arasmes, before I can prepare my magic." Clari comments, having been left off the list of prepared casters.

Before turning in, Clari approaches Galen, now that he is no longer involved with many others in conversation. She quietly asks him, "What about those that cannot use magic? It is not as common as you seem to think. What arcanist is going to supply light to every peasant in the city? Why, does it not make sense to leave them in the dark and fend for themselves, if they cannot perform magic? In your world are they culled, ignored, supported? How do they survive in your world?"

"I swear I am surrounded by selfish companions! Those who perform arcane magic, except for Shaezon who is required for his tent spell to function, will each take an hour's watch. If you don't like my command, you are free to jump on your horse and return to Saravale. End of discussion." She stands tall before them all, eyes direct and focused and waiting to see if her command would again be questioned.

Arasmes eyes blaze at the implication of sloth, so much so that they emit a very faint silver glow. He opens his mouth to retort but then stops. Looking at Ariarh in a new light, and not a very favorable one at that, Arasmes replies calmly Ariarh, I am unsure if you understand the complexities of the magics that we wield. It is not a matter of sloth but one of simple fact. My magics require focus of thought and mind that a full nights sleep allow. If we came under attack tomorrow and I was unable to perform due to lack of sleep, and someone died as a result, would an extra two hours balanced against someones life be worth the cost? I appreciate the duties this group entails but we each have our areas of expertise and each have our weaknesses. The need for sleep is a weakness of the magi, a balance against the power we wield as I was once told by a priestess. If you wish to have us all take a turn then as I said allow an extra two hours so that all may rest though that puts us further behind the others. As you said you are the elected leader, but I would thank you not to insult me or the others for something that is a fact of our existence and not yours. Arasmes tone stays even and respectful throughout, more of a tone of instructing someone in a potential misunderstanding than anything else.


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53
Isani Isu wrote:
Spellcasters would make themselves extinct in due course. Power exists in different ways and sometimes the ant can be the most industrious."[/b]

Arasmes looks over at Isani and says Almost the exact point I made to Galen earlier if you recall, shadiqati. I agree completely. Balance.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

"I did not give insult but spoke openly. If you took it as an insult then I cannot be held accountable for that and will not be. If the arcane spellcasters want to rest uninterrupted during the night then they must perform and pull their weight during the day and as yet I have not see that. It has not happened, Foreign Ambassador, and I observe well. I will not have a few run ragged because a few require special treatment. That is unfair and unjust. I would see a better system and will work to implement one. To bed with you then, Foreign Ambassador. I am sure I will find you work to do on the morrow."


”With respect, Master – arrogance is the belief that a person is better then they are. I do not believe I am better then I am – I know my limitations. However, consider this – you suggested Master Brett could put a bullet between my eyes? Perhaps – but if I cast a spell of Shield or Armor to prevent it, he would fail.”

Galen turns to Clari, answering her question.

”Your suggestion on the lesser beings who do not choose to study magic? Very well – then they suffer the consequences. Failure to do so means they suffer and toil. But consider this – magic is power – a being who refuses to pursue power is one who fails. A being who studies magic aligns their path to a clear inheritance to superiority. We study the Arcane arts – therefore – we are superior. We are superior – the lesser species must accept that, clearly. Even so – I shall obey my Master’s will. He knows we are superior – he must know this. Arasmes knows this – their entire presence is calculated to demonstrate this with the power they wield. They do not seek to merge with lesser folk – they seek to distinguish themselves, and why should they not?”

Galen broods a moment.

”I have seen folk who have feared us – they take us to burn, to execute, to imprison – but, that is because they know that if we grow, we shall dominate – and like the lesser races which fell to the more evolved – so too will all beings eventually bend to the will of those who wield magic. Godlike – equal to gods in some cases – better, perhaps – in other cases. This is not myself – but it is the potential that exists – through magic.”

He looks up, his young eyes gleaming in the low light.

”Apologies for speaking aloud – I shall obey your will Master – and, like you – my opinions on those who have not… evolved their potential through prudent study – shall remain silent. It is dangerous – I acknowledge that – and shall remain silent on the matter. Apologies, Master – I shall be silent on the matter in the future.”


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Her mismatched eyes are wide and focused on the apprentice Galen, "Equal to gods, young apprentice? I warn you to be mindful what you speak aloud for the gods have eternal ears. They do not take kindly to blasphemy and your words seem forged in the fires of ignorance."


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

Dain, a ruling on rest would be valuable here...

"Ry, Arasmes was simply pointing out that it takes time for many of us to build up the necessary energies to renew our magical abilities. Honestly, only Clari and I use our magic 'Selfishly'. The rest of the groub benifits from the magic of the others greatly."

Privately to Ariarh (likly around the time Clari approaches Galen), Kae asks, "Is there something else in particular bothering you. This is a harsh situation we are in, perfect reason for stress, but i wanted to make sure there is nothing else weighing upon you. I know I have been rather inattentive lately, and I apologize. I am seeking to remedy that."

”Well Kae, lad – maybe she’s just annoyed that this group is running things like a committee, after you made her the bloody boss. Think of her like a captain of troops on a mission – she parcels out the orders – suck it up and take it. For example – I got spells that need praying up for, too – but if I can’t sleep to be on watch – that’s bloody rum luck. Then I lose sleep and I don't say nothing. And why? Maybe 'cause she’s the ‘Top – so now, that’s the end of it. Now - we got our orders, so how about hitting the hay, eh?”

Ruling on sleep rules? Come on – you guys know what’s what – and you know how sleep and forced march work, too. Settle this in-game – you guys got the chops for it, besides – you’re all on the way to a tasty bonus for when you hit level 7. Keep it up and you’re all good. But then again – just keep it in character. This is what it’s all about. By the way – any plans you had to pass on troop strategy to Delain before he rides off? Just curious…


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53
Ariarh Kane wrote:
"I did not give insult but spoke openly. If you took it as an insult then I cannot be held accountable for that and will not be. If the arcane spellcasters want to rest uninterrupted during the night then they must perform and pull their weight during the day and as yet I have not see that. It has not happened, Foreign Ambassador, and I observe well. I will not have a few run ragged because a few require special treatment. That is unfair and unjust. I would see a better system and will work to implement one. To bed with you then, Foreign Ambassador. I am sure I will find you work to do on the morrow."

Arasmes goes stiff at the woman's words, holding his temper by a thread at the woman's completely unnecessary tantrum, he gives an extremely low bow before saying in a tight voice As the Baroness commands, so shall I obey.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Tantrum? She voiced all this in a steady voice with only her eyes blazing. Just to clarify.


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

That is in character. Arasmes and I am sure Shaezon and Clari all would like to be able to contribute the next day. Without sleep we LITERALLY cannot get spells and that is something known in character.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:
”With respect, Master – arrogance is the belief that a person is better then they are. I do not believe I am better then I am – I know my limitations. However, consider this – you suggested Master Brett could put a bullet between my eyes? Perhaps – but if I cast a spell of Shield or Armor to prevent it, he would fail.”

"Would he fail or would he be quicker with his tools than you are with yours?" Shae asks flatly.


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

I got thrown off by the exclamation point on I am surrounded by selfish companions! and to be fair Ariarh has been around enough magi to know the consequences of not getting a full night sleep. It's like giving brett a gun but no bullets and no sword.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
That is in character. Arasmes and I am sure Shaezon and Clari all would like to be able to contribute the next day. Without sleep we LITERALLY cannot get spells and that is something known in character.

I know it's IC, no worries. Her voice isn't raised as I wrote in the first conversational piece so it surprised me that Ras saw it as a "tantrum". But so be it ... I suppose Ariarh and Arasmes need to know each other better. Ariarh isn't asking you and the others to get no sleep -- she asked for an hour of everyone's time. But again, no worries.


Isani Isu wrote:
Her mismatched eyes are wide and focused on the apprentice Galen, "Equal to gods, young apprentice? I warn you to be mindful what you speak aloud for the gods have eternal ears. They do not take kindly to blasphemy and your words seem forged in the fires of ignorance."

Galen turns over and speaks to Isani.

”But that is entirely my point! What are gods – specifically? How do we define them? Are they supremely powerful beings that portion out power to those who worship them? Then many who walk the earth now can call themselves gods.”

”And – to the same end – what if a mortal, such as myself – wished to seek godhood with the power he took on himself? Is this lust for divinity blasphemy? Perhaps – but consider; mortals have achieved godhood by passing tests, and they are now revered as divine beings. Are they slighted – or, are they not revered.”

He turns a serious gaze to Isani in the nigh-darkness.

”I mean no disrespect – I have seen starvation, and filth – and darkness. Magic prevents all of that. Why do men war – if not to have wealth to make their life comfortable and with ease? This can be done quickly with magic. Why should the gods make life as challenging as they do? Would I a god – I should portion out magic to all with ease – let their lives be easy. It is possible – it can be done; you see that those of our party can do magic with ease – why not all? Yet – I do not wish to blaspheme – if I pursued that goal – things would be far simpler for all – would I became a god, as others have done so, in the past…”


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

no worries, we literally need 8 hours though just fyi. 7 doesnt cut it. thats why he suggested 10 hours because then everyone gets 8 with everyone standing guard. best practice is to let the magi take the last watch so they can take the time to memorize spells and such while on "watch"


”By all the gods living, dead and yet to be – how about some bloody quiet and some bloody sleep!” you hear barked out from snug little bedroll.

Galen was ready to answer Shaezon - but decides to keep his mouth shut - so he doesn't anger anyone, especially with a loaded gun!

It's all good for all - great RP everyone - and of course - we're all friends here, which is good news. However - I should add that a pistol does 1d3+Str if you used it as a club - so, yeah - if Brett had no bullets or sword - he'd figure out something... :)

8,201 to 8,250 of 10,645 << first < prev | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dain's King Maker Chronicles All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.