Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Dain's King Maker Chronicles

Game Master dain120475

Introduction

This is the Kingmaker Campaign, yet it is filled with many deviations from the boxed set. The "Campaign Information" page is meant as a quick resource to help sum up the thousands of posts quickly.


8,051 to 8,100 of 10,645 << first < prev | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | next > last >>

Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Ariarh, with contained horror, surveys the 7 mutilated elk positioned in a circle and ponders who could have caused this and for what purpose: magical or otherwise.

Knowledge, Nature: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
Knowledge, Arcana: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Knowledge, Religion: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


Ariarh Kane wrote:
So, just to clarify, Mister and Dior are now back with the party and are able to move where we do? I just want to make sure that if I move Dior around or speak to him that I am able to based on his current position.

That depends - Dior came back at noon, and it is now roughly 1:15 - in that time you could have sent him out again - or kept him with you - it would depend on what you would do...


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Dain GM wrote:
Ariarh Kane wrote:
So, just to clarify, Mister and Dior are now back with the party and are able to move where we do? I just want to make sure that if I move Dior around or speak to him that I am able to based on his current position.
That depends - Dior came back at noon, and it is now roughly 1:15 - in that time you could have sent him out again - or kept him with you - it would depend on what you would do...

Ariarh will keep Dior with her for a couple of hours (so until 2pm) -- to rest his wings etc. She will speak with Shaezon to determine whether they should send Mister and Dior back out again, especially since Dior and Mister would have been with them when they discovered the dead elk. A question, please: With Dior's size, can he straddle over a saddle at his current size without too much difficulty? If he can't, I would have him run beside us as we ride.


Ariarh Kane wrote:

Ariarh, with contained horror, surveys the 7 mutilated elk positioned in a circle and ponders who could have caused this and for what purpose: magical or otherwise.

Knowledge, Nature: 1d20+10
Knowledge, Arcana: 1d20+3
Knowledge, Religion: 1d20+4

You sense nothing amiss magically or religiously – but there is something certainly off here…

Firstly – the tracks and pieces match up, for the most part. It is likely a large herd of elk were grazing, and likely stampeded here – hence the crushed down grasses and muddy tracks.

However – this is where thing divert from logic.

Typically in the wild a predator will take down enough meat to sustain it for about a week. After a week, the meat will begin rot so bad that it won’t be edible. A wolf pack will, for example, bring down a deer. The wolves will come back to the meat every few days to gorge on the meat.

Meanwhile, there are about seven elk that have been brought down. None of the elk have been devoured fully – and they all look like fresh kills.

This would suggest that the elk have been killed recently; likely in the past hour.

Still – if that happened, then the ratio of kills seem rather unusual. Ariarh herself knows something about predatory animals – for example; wolves.

She knows that a typical wolf, for example – will consume over 90% of the carcass before the wolf is done with it. They will eat things that not even a human will eat and devour – not just meat, but ligaments, bone marrow, nearly all organ meats – fur and skin, to name a few.

Even so, a wolf will leave the meat, though – not consuming all of it – rather; they will leave the carcass for the pack. So that if several powerful wolves, and the Alpha – run to ground an elk – they will kill it, move on, and let the cubs and younger wolves who follow get their “cut” of the meat.

However; Ariarh is able to see that there are 7 elk with over 60% of their carcass on them. This would suggest that the kills occurred not only recently, but also in an almost excessive amount.

Ariarh would deduce that each elk would need about 6-7 wolves on them as the “advance guard”. The rest of the pack would be following, anywhere from 2 hours to 2 days; and that the advance guard would be probably protecting about 10-20 other members of the pack. Again, though – there are 7 dead elk. This would suggest that the advance guard was about 45-50 wolves – and 100 members of the pack…. This would suggest 150 wolves in the group…

This seems like a massive amount of wolves… If indeed they are wolves. At this point, though, there is something unusual about the whole thing; it does not seem likely that they could be wolves, but something else…


Ariarh Kane wrote:
Dain GM wrote:
Ariarh Kane wrote:
So, just to clarify, Mister and Dior are now back with the party and are able to move where we do? I just want to make sure that if I move Dior around or speak to him that I am able to based on his current position.
That depends - Dior came back at noon, and it is now roughly 1:15 - in that time you could have sent him out again - or kept him with you - it would depend on what you would do...
Ariarh will keep Dior with her for a couple of hours (so until 2pm) -- to rest his wings etc. She will speak with Shaezon to determine whether they should send Mister and Dior back out again, especially since Dior and Mister would have been with them when they discovered the dead elk. A question, please: With Dior's size, can he straddle over a saddle at his current size without too much difficulty? If he can't, I would have him run beside us as we ride.

It would be very tricky for Dior to straddle a saddle. Especially as most of the horses are not too comfortable with a griffon so close to them (until they've interacted long with Dior; griffon's being natural predators to horses, of course) - she feels the best method to deal with the situation would be to harness a Travois behind one of the pack horses, letting Dior snuggle on it. Though it would slow down the horse somewhat, if it was behind a pack horse, it wouldn't be too bad, compared to Stybba's speed.

Stybba is, after all - not very fast. A pack horse with a Travois on it would not be too bad in terms of speed compared to him. However - the massive amount of elk before you - and the strange kills is the problem before the party now.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Tal, Ry's horse, would be comfortable with Dior, as the griffon has ridden on his saddle since he was the size of a kitten. There would be no skittish behaviour there. But thanks for the info re the travois, something to think on for later.


Ariarh Kane wrote:
Tal, Ry's horse, would be comfortable with Dior, as the griffon has ridden on his saddle since he was the size of a kitten. There would be no skittish behaviour there. But thanks for the info re the travois, something to think on for later.

Brett glances at Ariarh, saying nothing as he sees her taking in the scene before her.

We waits for her to digest the information before her, wondering what it is she is thinking about - but, as he does not know, he is forced to make his own guesses.

Hopping off his pony, he tosses the reigns to Kae, who catches them deftly, and moves slowly over the ground. Brett's eyes range over the damp grass as he crouches a bit and peers at the terrain.

Survival via Tracking: To discover nature of the tracks that may or may not be there.
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

"Huh... Now, that's interesting," he mutters to himself, glancing up at the others as he removes his hat and mops his brow, his face grim.

Something to consider:

Follow Tracks

To find tracks or to follow them for 1 mile requires a successful Survival check. You must make another Survival check every time the tracks become difficult to follow. If you are not trained in this skill, you can make untrained checks to find tracks, but you can follow them only if the DC for the task is 10 or lower. Alternatively, you can use the Perception skill to find a footprint or similar sign of a creature's passage using the same DCs, but you can't use Perception to follow tracks, even if someone else has already found them.

You move at half your normal speed while following tracks (or at your normal speed with a –5 penalty on the check, or at up to twice your normal speed with a –20 penalty on the check). The DC depends on the surface and the prevailing conditions, as given on table.

Very Soft Ground: Any surface (fresh snow, thick dust, wet mud) that holds deep, clear impressions of footprints.

Soft Ground: Any surface soft enough to yield to pressure, but firmer than wet mud or fresh snow, in which a creature leaves frequent but shallow footprints.

Firm Ground: Most normal outdoor surfaces (such as lawns, fields, woods, and the like) or exceptionally soft or dirty indoor surfaces (thick rugs and very dirty or dusty floors). The creature might leave some traces (broken branches or tufts of hair), but it leaves only occasional or partial footprints.

Hard Ground: Any surface that doesn't hold footprints at all, such as bare rock or an indoor floor. Most streambeds fall into this category, since any footprints left behind are obscured or washed away. The creature leaves only traces (scuff marks or displaced pebbles).

Surface Survival DC
Very soft ground.....5
Soft ground..........10
Firm ground..........15
Hard ground..........20


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

"If a predatory animal did this, it seems more than unusual if we look at the ratio of kills. Also, with the amount of carcass remaining on these elk, it would suggest the kills were recent but also excessive, even for a wolf, for example. If a pack of wolves did this, then calculating that advance guard and members of the pack, we would be looking at about 150 wolves in the pack. This is more than normal; quite excessive in fact. So what predatory creature would do this? Could it be a new group of the Osirion hybrid creatures or possibly a group of shapeshifters...?" She lets the question slide into thoughtfulness, hoping her companions could shed some light.

Hearing Brett's proclamation of something on the ground being "interesting", she alights from her horse and walks both horses (Tal and the pack horse) to the place, mindful not to mess any tracks with her horses' hoof prints. She secures both horses and asks Dior to come along with her.

"What did you discover, Brett?"

Looking upon the ground for any other signs of what creatures could have done this or evidence of tracks, earth/rock displacement and direction of tracks,

Survival via tracking: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Continuing with Isani Sothis sounds like a marvelous city. Perhaps we might be able to see it together in the future? Of course, that is assuming we survive this little excursion. he finishes with a laugh.

At the kills Arasmes looks at the kills with the rest of the group, but having no skills in tracking he is not sure what help he can be. Brett, you have a spy glass yes? If Caliphana took you aloft you would be able to see a great distance and perhaps catch a look at whatever did this. It is a small chance but still perhaps one worth taking? The other question is...are these dead animals and their potential attackers worth the delay? I make no claims either direction but it is a question worth posing. Baroness Ariarh, what do you think?


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Shaezon looks over the tracks and looks for anything useful to share with Ariah,

Survival (tracking assist) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Shaezon would have Mister rest a bit before sending him back out. Perhaps a four hours before sundown so they can be back and resting at night. They won't be much good at night anyway.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Continuing with Arasmes. "The blessed Everlight will look after us, sadiqi. We may yet be victorious against this cunning enemy", grasping the ankh softly in her right hand. "I would be honoured to travel with you to Sothis one day. A dangerous beauty it possesses, with mysteries worth unravelling and gifts worthy of protection."


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
Brett, you have a spy glass yes? If Caliphana took you aloft you would be able to see a great distance and perhaps catch a look at whatever did this. It is a small chance but still perhaps one worth taking? The other question is...are these dead animals and their potential attackers worth the delay? I make no claims either direction but it is a question worth posing. Baroness Ariarh, what do you think?

Directing her attention momentarily up to Arasmes' face, "I believe this strange occurrence may be related to what is going on down south or at least worth investigating a little deeper. I realise we are under a time constraint, yet to leave this place not knowing what manner of creature perpetrated this would be irresponsible of me, of the council's duty. We finish this and then move on, Arasmes", she nods her head and then turns her focus back on the ground and tracks.


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Continued with IsaniArasmes smiles again and says All things are possible under the light. Perhaps one day if you show me Sothis, I may be able to return home to Katapesh and show you some of it's wonders as well. For instance did you know that Katapesh itself was founded by a group of followers of the Dawnflower? Though the slave sections are not something I am proud of the Nightstalls are one of the, if not the best, markets in the world. Practically anything can be found there. Jewels and magic abound...In Osirianithough I can say the jewels pale in comparison to the emerald and sapphire hues of your eyes./Osiriani he says placing his hand over his heart in expression of the truth of his words.


Ariarh Kane wrote:
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
Brett, you have a spy glass yes? If Caliphana took you aloft you would be able to see a great distance and perhaps catch a look at whatever did this. It is a small chance but still perhaps one worth taking? The other question is...are these dead animals and their potential attackers worth the delay? I make no claims either direction but it is a question worth posing. Baroness Ariarh, what do you think?
Directing her attention momentarily up to Arasmes' face, "I believe this strange occurrence may be related to what is going on down south or at least worth investigating a little deeper. I realise we are under a time constraint, yet to leave this place not knowing what manner of creature perpetrated this would be irresponsible of me, of the council's duty. We finish this and then move on, Arasmes", she nods her head and then turns her focus back on the ground and tracks.

As Ariarh is able to advance to Brett she keeps her eyes open, and can see in the muddy track the evidence of prints.

Bending down near Brett he points out the type of print – it looks Lupine, to say the least. However, the two of them can easily gauge that the size and depth of the paw-print look to be a bit more disturbing.

Average length of animal – between paw-print treads – is about 9 feet in length. Based on the weight of the beast, you’re looking at an animal about 800 to 900 pounds. Moving back between the slaughtered carcasses, Brett presses his fingers into the opening of the wounds, and Ariarh is equally able to trace the carnage in another few animals. The evidence is clear; a pack of beasts did not bring down one at a time – rather, one animal brought down one elk.

This would account for the massive amount of kills, inconsistent with a normal sized wolf pack. Further – the tracks alone give evidence which suggest that the creatures that did the killing are likely to be animals called Dire Wolves.

On top of things – the kills were fresh – which means the chief killers of the pack just moved through here, likely in less then an hour – and even more likely – the “smaller and weaker” parts of the pack; the cubs and the She-Wolves who guard the cubs – will be coming very soon, looking for their own meals to eat.

And it doesn’t take a Druid to tell the party that a She-Wolf guarding her cubs, or any mother guarding her young – will be very dangerous, possibly more then their mate who is merely hunting for food; because they absolutely will not stop killing until they, or their cubs, are safe.

Brett and Ariarh quickly relate this information to the rest of the party as Brett drags his spy-glass out and moves it around to scan the horizon rapidly.

”Of course – the best news for last – wolf packs tend to be very territorial – and Dire Wolves are bloody worse, because they’re smart enough to know that their territory has been trampled in. And now we’re covered in the whole stink of the fresh kills, and the Alpha killers, who’ve likely pissed on the ground and kills to “mark” the kills as their own. When the other wolf-kin come running in, they’ll smell us – and they won’t be happy about it, and they’ll likely be chasing us down, to make sure we didn’t run off with their meat, gods damn it!” he says, his voice terse.

To accompany Brett’s concern – a loud bay is heard from over the plains – the sound of a wolf howl…

”Ah hell,” Brett says flatly, looking toward Styba – who is standing bravely, but sweating suddenly under his bridle at the sound of the howl.

The other horses – the ones recently acquired – are not doing so well. They are having trouble remaining still, and if they are not kept under check (Re: Handle Animal Checks to make sure they don’t bolt, and again if you want to fight from their back) you may have the horses that carry your extra food and supplies run off.

Even so – that seems the least of your worries – somewhere a pack of Dire Wolves are coming for those that are trampling through their kills.

Perception Rolls to figure out where they’re coming from… And, if you see them, how many. Good luck!


Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:

Continuing with Isani Sothis sounds like a marvelous city. Perhaps we might be able to see it together in the future? Of course, that is assuming we survive this little excursion. he finishes with a laugh.

At the kills Arasmes looks at the kills with the rest of the group, but having no skills in tracking he is not sure what help he can be. Brett, you have a spy glass yes? If Caliphana took you aloft you would be able to see a great distance and perhaps catch a look at whatever did this. It is a small chance but still perhaps one worth taking? The other question is...are these dead animals and their potential attackers worth the delay? I make no claims either direction but it is a question worth posing. Baroness Ariarh, what do you think?

"Hop on your beast and fly around, eh?" Brett says with a bit of a twinkle in his eye.

"Maybe - aye - it could be useful - though I'd warrant the kind of Skill to Ride a beast would require a much higher level of finesses, eh lad? Even so - let me finish looking at these tracks, find out what I see - and, if ain't worth noticing - I'm yer lad!"

This conversation would have happened before the last post - Brett is not eager to fly off and leave his friends if asked now - and, at the least, leaving his trusty steed behind would make him very unhappy if was eaten by wolves. For now - he'll stay with his friends, especially as the "hunt is up" - better to pick your territory, let them come to you - and bring down what you can fast, rather then run. Of course - Brett will listen to anyone with other words on tactics - should they offer them...


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29


Eidolon (Init +3 / F +6 R +8 W +2 (+6 vs Ench.) / Perc. +9 / AC 25 / HP 43)

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:

Perception 1d20+10

Wolf pack moving in hard from the east - maybe a little more then a half mile out - so your Perception DC is off the charts, given the amount of penalties you suffer every 10 feet... Still; you can see at the least enough details to know that at full run speed the pack will be at your party in about 2 minutes of hard running.

You believe that this pack is made up of the mothers and young - there are about 9 adult types - and about 17 young types - possibly one year in age or less - you see no cubs currently, though; and believe they may be back at a den to be weened - very likely; this is spring, if a new group has recently been birthed - then it is likely the remaining mothers will need to bring back food for the females who are nursing.

Anyway - after you point it out the party (assuming you do) - Brett swings out his spyglass, and confirms your findings - adding that they don't look happy at all - and seem to be, at the least, worried that their meat may be taken and the nursing mothers denied it.

Arasmes - knowing what you know - and what Brett will share with the rest of the party, as he at the least saw your shocked gaze out to the east, looked there, and passed on the news - what are your plans now?


Caliphana wrote:
Perception 1d20+8

Cali is extremely interested in a colorful butterfly that is fluttering under her nose - and is offering no practical assistance for perception at this time...


Eidolon (Init +3 / F +6 R +8 W +2 (+6 vs Ench.) / Perc. +9 / AC 25 / HP 43)

Cali begins pawing at it and trying to catch the little insect.


Caliphana wrote:
Cali begins pawing at it and trying to catch the little insect.

The butterfly is extremely illusive...

Brett, seeing her - lets out a loud grunt.

"Hey - you planning on doing anything with that?" he says - pointing at the large group of creatures charging toward you all, even as he begins to load his pistols and gets his powder horn ready to prime more shot, if he is able to.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Arasmes looks at the group and says There is a group of very large wolves approaching from the east. They will be here in approximately 2 minutes. I will send something to slow them down.

Arasmes then quickly summons a Lantern Archon and in Celestial says There are a group of wolves approaching from the east. Please slow them down, honored one. The Archon pulses warmly and then vanishes.

Summon Monster III spell like ability. Lantern Archon greater teleports to 100 feet in front of the leading wolf and 20 feet off the ground. Once they are in range it will start firing it's light rays. 2 per round ranged touch attack for 1d6 damage. 30' range. I can't access the d20pfsrd from this computer (it's blocked) but here is the Lantern Archon from the PRD it's the same info. Lantern Archon

Initiative should it be needed for Arasmes/Lantern Archon 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Not sure when i will be able to get back on so first round's attacks for Lantern Archon

Light Ray 1 Touch Attack

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Damage

1d6 ⇒ 1

Confirm Crit on Ray

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Crit Damage

1d6 ⇒ 5

--------------------------------------
Light Ray 2 Touch Attack

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Damage

1d6 ⇒ 4


Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

in case you need to move forward the Archon will fire twice and then teleport next round in front of the wolves to fire again then repeat. so since you said about two minutes it should get 10 rounds or so of two shots off before they reach us since every other round it will be teleporting. It can teleport itself at will but it still takes a standard action to teleport so it cant shoot and teleport. It will always teleport to the wolf/wolves nearest to us.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Hearing the news of the wolves from Brett Shaezon looks around for high ground.
AKA a tree or something that would make Shae difficult to attack.

Shae says to Galen

"Find high ground."


Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
in case you need to move forward the Archon will fire twice and then teleport next round in front of the wolves to fire again then repeat. so since you said about two minutes it should get 10 rounds or so of two shots off before they reach us since every other round it will be teleporting. It can teleport itself at will but it still takes a standard action to teleport so it cant shoot and teleport. It will always teleport to the wolf/wolves nearest to us.

How far can the Archon teleport? It takes the wolves 2 minutes because the Dire Wolves are covering (roughly) 2,500 feet every minute.

So your archon would need to teleport roughly 5,000 feet on round 1 - make it's attack - then head back down the line.

The Dire Wolves move speed is 50 - they are doing a full run at 250 feet a round. Ten rounds a minute - 2,500 feet a minute. How far can it teleport from you for the first attack after it is summoned?

This will basically come down to - how many attacks can the archon make before the wolves actually reach you?


Combat – round 1

Setting the stage:

You are currently standing in open grassy field – actually, it is more like the plains of South Dakota. There is nothing around for miles but grass, at least, that you can see. Though Mister and Dior would have seen trees to the south in about 4 or 5 miles that begin to pop up near watery land.

The place where you are standing is like a muddy track. Think of it like a huge herd of animals churned up all the grass with a stampeded – and that the wolves tore after them – killing elk as they ran.

You are standing in the mud, the grass ripped up – but around you – about 100 feet radius, you see grass is growing, about 3 feet in height. You may be able to hide there, but common sense tells you that a Dire Wolf could sniff you out fast.

After we get Round 1 Done

Hopefully this gives the players a chance to toss up what they do for round 1, and other things. It will also allow any “late comers” the chance to see what is going on. From then on out – I want to see players doing any basic Social RP here – and we’ll just handle the combat on the Combat Thread.

Enemy that you see – so far

The creatures are moving into range at this time. Though Arasmes did what he did, it won’t take effect until the creatures are in range of his attack.

Ras – I assume you are attacking the “point wolf” that is leading the charge? To refresh all of you – the following is the basic information you should know.

9 Adult Dire Wolves
17 Younger ones – the younger ones are fully grown, but are likely to have “less HP” – because they are not as “old” – their stats are otherwise the same, but you can tell that they are younger looking and not as fully developed.

As of now Initiative is:

Dire Wolves –
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

Brett –
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Arasmes/Archon’s will go last in a tie for his Initiative, as he rolled a 1. However – as his total is 2 anyway, I believe he will go last.

To all

Based on my read – the first Archon makes the attack when the lead wolf is 30 feet from him – that wolf suffers 6 damage + 1 for a total of 7 (yes – Ras, I’m giving you a free bonus to damage, due to that natural 20 – you deserve it in this case, though I know it doesn’t do much).

Questions to Ras

1. Based on what I am reading, I am guessing you are having your Archon hop out 100 feet from the party? Is that true? How far is the archon going to be when he makes his attack (basically, I’m trying to figure out where the archon is when it attacks the Dire Wolves, and where they will be in relation to the rest of the group).

2. Also – are you on your horse when you cast your spell, or did you get off the horse? And, in general, what are you planning on doing with your horse if you don’t get off it, or stay of it? If you are in the saddle – you need a Ride Check to cast spells or move attack. However – if you get OUT of the saddle, you’ll need to keep an eye on your horse, with a Handle Animal Check, or it will likely run away – as they wolves are very scary.

3. It probably slipped your mind – but what are your plans with Cali? As a bonus – since she didn’t roll Initiative with you – I guess she’ll have to go on her OWN initiative – just try not to roll another 1 for her ;)

Okay –

Until I know more, the Lead Wolf is suffering attacks from the Archon, cannot hit the archon, and is running in hard. The wolves can move at Run Speed 250 feet a round – though they cannot attack you at the end of a full run.

You’d guess they will run up to either 100 or 50 feet, then, in that area, check their pace for next round of combat, so they can charge in and attack.


Not sure where the Archon is when it attacks in relation to the Dire Wolves – however –

Brett is going to drag Stybba to the ground and tell the pony to “Stay” – then he’s taking cover behind the pony and using a Grit Point to double his Touch Attack Range for his musket on the leading wolf – the same one the Archon Hit – once the Dire Wolf is in range.

Brett’s Handle Animal Check (DC for Having an Animal Perform a Trick it already knows: 10)
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Attack on lead wolf – when it is 200 feet out – (doubled threat range with musket, via Grit) but at a -2 Penalty, as the Dire Wolf is now in his second range increment, though still a “Touch Attack”.
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

IF he hits –
2d4 ⇒ (4, 3) = 7

Brett will then quickly reload the musket on his turn.

Brett was very lucky regarding his handle animal check - however - his shot will not formally "go off" until the wolves are in range - which should theoretically be in 18 round - that's 1 minute, 48 seconds, if anyone wants to get "prepared" with spells and such.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Handle Animal check
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

Kae dismounts Konur, takes his Bear-cloak out, donning it, and gives the horse a slap on the flank to send him away from the action to be found later, or escape should the worst happen.
HA check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

As the wolves approach, Ka'etil will drink his mutagen lasts for 20 minutes and will also cast shield when the Creatures are a little less than a minute away lasts 3 minutes and drinks his extracts of Expedious Retreat, and Enlarge Person. These spells should last about 20 rounds of combat with the wolves. Hopefully this fight won't run that long.


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

Handle Animal check

1d20+6

Kae dismounts Konur, takes his Bear-cloak out, donning it, and gives the horse a slap on the flank to send him away from the action to be found later, or escape should the worst happen.
HA check: 1d20+6

As the wolves approach, Ka'etil will drink his mutagen lasts for 20 minutes and will also cast shield when the Creatures are a little less than a minute away lasts 3 minutes and drinks his extracts of Expedious Retreat, and Enlarge Person. These spells should last about 20 rounds of combat with the wolves. Hopefully this fight won't run that long.

Sounds good - when you eventually get into combat - I'll trust that your stats will be adjusted accordingly for the purpose of the fight?

That said - we just need to know how many attacks/damage the archon can do before they get here.

Later tonight I'll have a battle map up for you guys and we'll probably hop on to the Combat Thread - by the way, was Clari going to do something in particular? I can't remember if she is staying with you.

Konur will then run off quickly to your west. You should be able to find him relatively soon after the fight.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Kae's Init:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8 Took the enlarge person dex penalty to my init roll

As the wolves approach, Kae steps toward the front of the group and readies an action to activate Touch of Rage to give him a +3 to all attack and damage rolls. This will go off when the wolves are about a round away, so they'll get to him when it is active, and it will remain active until the end of is next turn.

He says tho the others, "Get behind me and protect my flank. The wolves will have to cross my path to get to you, but I don't want them surrounding me."

He draws his Glaive to AoO any wolf that gets to him
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26
for: 2d8 + 12 ⇒ (1, 5) + 12 = 18

attack/damage/AC breakdown:

Attack roll: 4 (BAB)+3 (str)+3 (mutagen)+2 (ToR)+1 (Enlarged) -1 (large) = +12
Damage: 3 (str)+3 (mutagen)+1 (enlarged) +3 (2handWeapon) +2 (ToR) = +12
AC: 10+3 (armor)+1 (cloak)+3 (dex)-1 (enlargeDex)+4 (shield)+2 (mutagen)-1 (large) = 20


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

Kae's Init:1d20+2 Took the enlarge person dex penalty to my init roll

As the wolves approach, Kae steps toward the front of the group and readies an action to activate Touch of Rage to give him a +3 to all attack and damage rolls. This will go off when the wolves are about a round away, so they'll get to him when it is active, and it will remain active until the end of is next turn.

He says tho the others, "Get behind me and protect my flank. The wolves will have to cross my path to get to you, but I don't want them surrounding me."

He draws his Glaive to AoO any wolf that gets to him
1d20+12
for: 2d8+12
** spoiler omitted **

No worries - prep time is there, and so too is the chance to get into formation. Your rolls will still stand, once the enemy is in range.


HP: 47 AC: 14 Hexblade 5

I need to check what exactly she can do, but i'll have the answers shortly. Her Char sheet is for Lv 5 so i gotta take a minute to de-level her...

level 4 clari:

SPells: Cantrips-Brand, & 4 others
Lv 1 - Frostbite, Reduce Person, Illusion of Calm, Shocking Grasp
Lv 2 - Cat's Grace, Brow-Gasher

HP: 34
Simitar Attack: 3+4+1 = +8
Scimitar damage: 1d6+4+1
BlackBlade: no energy attunment, +1 magic weapon, 1pt arcane pool
Arcana Pool: 4 pts
Her only Hex is Evil Eye
Saves are the same, stats are the same (6,5,5)
AC same (19)
her Concentration check is 1d20+8, and to cast defensively is a DC 17, or 19.

Strategy:

Clari has a trait that lets her modify Frost-bite with a Metamagic at 1 less level, so she casts it a a Lv 1 spell with Ryme Spell, so it both fatigues and entangles anyone it hits.

She uses Reduce person and Cat's Grace to prepare for the Wolves, altering her stats as such.
+6 dex, and +1 size bonus to AC and attack rolls. She uses dex instead of str for scimitar attacks because of Dervish Dance.
This means her attacks and damage do +3 damage, so her Scimitar attack is at a +12 and does 1d4+8 and her AC becomes 23
She also casts Illusion of Calm which prevents AoO's for casting. DC 14 Will save after hitting with an attack lets the creature that hit her disbelieve the illusion, but it only ends the effect for that creature.
[as an edit to her Char sheet, she should have Shield instead of Jump. dunno why it's wrong, i thought i changed that.]

I'll put up actions in a bit. gotta drive to a new location...

[edit] changed strategy and stat spoilers


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Greater teleport has no range so the archon will be able to get 20 shots off before the wolves close to our party (2 minutes which is 20 rounds and since he is shooting and then teleporting he can get 20 shots off before they reach us). The summon monster is not a spell, it's a spell-like ability and therefore isnt subject to the same riding rules because there is no somatic or verbal component to be interfered with on a horse. If he tries to cast an actual spell of his then he will have to make a ride check.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Given the terrain description ignore the "find high ground" remark

In preperation Shaezon casts levitate on himself when he knows the wolves are a few rounds out. (6 min) He'll position himself laterally and levitate himself 50' up. to get a better vantage point.

Initiative 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17 (Mister will delay and go on Shae's turn starting round 2.)

When the wolves are first visible and in range (640') Shae will try and hit the greatest cluster of them with a fireball. He'll target the densest grouping for his 20' spread that he can see for
6d6 ⇒ (2, 6, 1, 6, 1, 4) = 20 damage. Reflex DC 17 for half damage

When the wolves move to melee (probably round 2) Shae will cast haste on Galen +5 fighter types. Definitely Kae, Brett, Clari, and two more that look like fighters.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

handle animal check (with Tal): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
handle animal check (with her pack horse): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

To secure both horses and ensure they do not run off and get injured or killed in the fray.

In a raised voice so as to be heard by all, "They are only protecting their territory, their food source and young. These are mothers with pups. We do not have to kill them out of fear. I could wildshape into a dire wolf (large animal) and try to communicate with the lead she wolf. They are simply acting out of nature not malice or evil."

Ry's initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Dior's initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

If the group does not agree to a wolf-to-wolf parlay, then Ariarh will cast Entangle when the dire wolves are within range, to try and slow them down. 640 ft range, 40 ft radius, duration 6 mins.


HP: 47 AC: 14 Hexblade 5

Clari observes the others preparations and makes her own. As Kae grows, she shrinks with Reduce Person and speeds herself us with Cat's Grace as well as glammering herself with an Illusion of Calm. She draws Keravel and readies to battle.

Clari's Init: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Clari combat:

Dain, you were going to control Clari in combat as Kae lacks the Leadership Feat. Her spell Frostbite gives her 4 touch attacks that can be delivered through her weapon that deal an extra 1d6+4 Fatigue and Entangle the target with no save, so She would target a different wolf with each frostbite spellstrike to pass around the de-buffs.
She can also use her Shocking Grasp for 4d6 electricity damage.
She can cast Brow-Gasher on a weapon and it looks like the creature afflicted does not get a save versus the Bleeding effect.

It would make sense to cast Shocking Grasp and hold the charge. She then readies an action to attack the first wolf she can, dealing weapon and electricity damage.
Then she Can use spell-combat to take the -2 to her attacks and cast frostbite dealing damage and fatigue/entangle to two other wolves, and then the next rounds, she can deliver Frostbite attacks to two more wolves, and can cast Brow-Gasher if there's any wolves at full health that the Bleed damage would be good for.

She's also got her arcane pool and will use a swift action at her first chance to add another +1 to Keravel making it a +2 magic weapon before her first attack.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Shaezon will hold his actions to give Ry's plan a chance.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Handle Animal to secure Sadiki effectively (the horse is combat trained and knows tricks): 1d20 ⇒ 15

She moves over to their leader, to stand by her side, "My word is not worth much for I am a newcomer, yet I believe we should give Lady Ariarh's plan a chance. These are natural creatures and they are acting accordingly. Who best than a druid to talk the animals down from possible attack. We can spare this fight; we will have others in the near future."


Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
Greater teleport has no range so the archon will be able to get 20 shots off before the wolves close to our party (2 minutes which is 20 rounds and since he is shooting and then teleporting he can get 20 shots off before they reach us). The summon monster is not a spell, it's a spell-like ability and therefore isnt subject to the same riding rules because there is no somatic or verbal component to be interfered with on a horse. If he tries to cast an actual spell of his then he will have to make a ride check.

Sounds good - Ras - as you have given your orders, I need to see 38 more attacks, and their appropriate damage rolls.

Remember, the first damage has already been calculated.

On the other hand - your Initiative is last - and though you have used the Archon, I will hold off on if you decide to actually have the first attack, based on what Ariarh said.

So - to simplify - your action is going to summon the Archon; that will happen.

Whether or not you decide to use that Archon to attack is up to you after Ariarh has made her declaration.

However - if you DO attack, the first attack/damage counts - and I shall need the next 19 attacks.


Galen is going to stay on his horse. He knows he won't have much of a chance if he is on foot - and if things go bad, he will try to ride off after throwing some spells.

Shae - no worries on holding action.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Ry's Knowledge Nature on how to effectively and properly handle/act/communicate with a (lead) dire wolf: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Arasmes says Of course Lady Ariarh. The Archon is only meant to slow them down. It is a celestial being and as such I do not believe it will take the command as meaning to kill the wolves. If you wish though I shall dismiss it? If Lady Ariarh wishes the Archon to be dismissed, Arasmes concentrates for a moment and breaks the connection between the Archon and the material plane. I would make preparations though to defend ourselves should the Lady Ariarh's attempts at canine diplomacy fail. Looking over at Ariarh he says Though I have every confidence that you will succeed.


Ariarh Kane wrote:

handle animal check (with Tal): 1d20+7

handle animal check (with her pack horse): 1d20+7

To secure both horses and ensure they do not run off and get injured or killed in the fray.

In a raised voice so as to be heard by all, "They are only protecting their territory, their food source and young. These are mothers with pups. We do not have to kill them out of fear. I could wildshape into a dire wolf (large animal) and try to communicate with the lead she wolf. They are simply acting out of nature not malice or evil."

Ry's initiative: 1d20+2
Dior's initiative: 1d20+2

If the group does not agree to a wolf-to-wolf parlay, then Ariarh will cast Entangle when the dire wolves are within range, to try and slow them down. 640 ft range, 40 ft radius, duration 6 mins.

"Maybe, lass - but you'll pardon me if I stay prepped, eh?" Brett retorts; he is holding his position and action in the meantime, though.

Ariarh - you are free to enact your plan - however; you will need to charge out there and make your move. Also - you can "Wildshape" into a wolf, yes - not a Dire Wolf - you may be able to communicate - but there is a large difference between a wolf in Dire Wolf in terms of size and normal intelligence. You may be somewhat successful with your Diplomacy roll, though.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Why not a dire wolf? It is a neutral large animal and the wildshape at 6th level works as the beast shape ii spell. I have read the rules and it does not say anywhere that she can't shape into a dire wolf.


Ariarh Kane wrote:
Ry's Knowledge Nature on how to effectively and properly handle/act/communicate with a (lead) dire wolf: 1d20+10

Going to be tough - remember; Dire Wolves are roughly the size of a small horse. They are much stronger and more dangerous then a usual wolf - you may have difficulty communicating with them - you'll need diplomacy - but, you need to play your cards right.

That is to say - you better gamble correctly on what these creatures want. Depending on what you "say/do" with these creatures you may either make things go VERY good, or VERY bad - depending on what you "Say" - but you'll be the only one who can talk here to them.

As a good idea - you may want to ask the group for some advice - you have a few minutes to take their suggestions before the wolves reach first.

One thing is clear - the young aren't "cubs" - they are more like "teenagers" - and you know that teenagers/pre-teen beast-creatures tend to have a greater need to "prove their worth" - even as Anuk-su did...

The true cubs would be in a den somewhere, weening... as to where; you don't know. But that's good news - if there were cubs around - the mothers wouldn't let you leave unless you all - or they - were dead.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Okay, I'm more than a little confused now. Is this not a pack of dire wolves coming toward us? And if so, how will it prove difficult to transform into one of them to communicate at their level - dire wolf to dire wolf? Wouldn't they treat a normal wolf as inferior? I do realise I will need to utilise wild empathy with them.


Ariarh Kane wrote:
Why not a dire wolf? It is a neutral large animal and the wildshape at 6th level works as the beast shape ii spell. I have read the rules and it does not say anywhere that she can't shape into a dire wolf.

Well sorry - I am not as skilled as everyone in the game with the rules - and I did not know that - for some reason I was mixing up "wildshape" rules with "animal companion" rules.

Apologies - I don't know these things as well as you guys. I need to bone up on those things soon.

Okay - you can transform into a Dire Wolf - this means that though they are considered "Hostile" at this time - you will have a slight edge - as Dire Wolf - you will now automatically slide them to "Unfriendly".

Depending on how you phrase your question you will either be asking for:

Give Dangerous Aid (tell them not let you live when you are trespassing on their hunting ground), or Complicated Aid - and, again - depending on how you are phrasing things - Give Aid that could result in Punishment.

It all depends on your phrasing - so, good luck!


Ariarh Kane wrote:
Okay, I'm more than a little confused now. Is this not a pack of dire wolves coming toward us? And if so, how will it prove difficult to transform into one of them to communicate at their level - dire wolf to dire wolf? Wouldn't they treat a normal wolf as inferior? I do realise I will need to utilise wild empathy with them.

It so totally is a pack of Dire Wolves, you've clearly trampled on their hunting ground - the Alpha males and chief hunters clearly butchered these kills in the last hour - if you transformed into a Wolf - that may be pretty useless, though with some advantage.

However - you can actually transform into a Dire Wolf on this level - and not just a wolf. Clearly someone was not reading the rules on this point - ahem - and we'll say no more on who THAT is ;)

Needless to say - you can transform - any questions no what to say to the little beasties?

8,051 to 8,100 of 10,645 << first < prev | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dain's King Maker Chronicles All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.