Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Dain's King Maker Chronicles

Game Master dain120475

Introduction

This is the Kingmaker Campaign, yet it is filled with many deviations from the boxed set. The "Campaign Information" page is meant as a quick resource to help sum up the thousands of posts quickly.


7,901 to 7,950 of 10,695 << first < prev | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | next > last >>

Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Empress? Really lol? We have two towns to our name and we are an empire lol? I get to be Grand High Vizier Supreme then. ;-)


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
Empress? Really lol? We have two towns to our name and we are an empire lol? I get to be Grand High Vizier Supreme then. ;-)

Aye, Empress! And so it shall be! ;) Be nice to Ariarh, and she may bestow a grandiose title on thee, Arasmes. lol

Well, she could be First Lady of the Republic. ;) Duchess Ariarh? Countess Ariarh, Baroness Ariarh? Wasn't Alaric a Baron and so that would make Ry a Baroness? o_O


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Arasmes ibn'Fayad wrote:
Empress? Really lol? We have two towns to our name and we are an empire lol? I get to be Grand High Vizier Supreme then. ;-)

That title has already been claimed by me. ;-)


Kyton-spawn Tiefling Evolutionist Summoner 7 (Noble) (Init +1 / F +7 R +4 W +7 / Perc. +11 / AC 14 /HP 53

Yeah Alaric was a Baron. I figured we'd increase the titles as we went along lol. Baron, Duke, Archduke, King, Emperor with the lesser titles changing accordingly and also with the feminine of all of them. and fine Shae then I will be Arasmes the Magnificent, Supreme Archmage of the Ethereal Cosmos. lol


Female Silver Dragon My Level of Class is unmatched by any and all!
Ariarh Kane wrote:

Embarrassed by the general flow of discussion regarding marriage and what was overheard of Anuk-su's comment about Delain, she turns the discussion back onto council business, "My apologies. The title of Empress will do fine. Let us proceed with town matters and details pertaining to our journey south," keeping the embarrassed tremor from her voice and hoping her face was not flushed.

In relation to Kae's suggestions regarding the kobolds and the Spider's Nest, "Indeed, both matters will be addressed and as Robert suggested we can make a list and look to the tasks that have the greatest precedence and work through them. For now, we must concentrate on preparing for our next quest. I need to know how many will be joining us and we require detail from our Ustalavian friends as to what we are searching for exactly. I realise we are travelling to map and make claim to lands there, but I believe there are other crucial ventures in the form of these artifacts of power our enemies seem to be seeking."

Respectfully addressing Dashan and Aliento, "Gentleman, thank you for attending to our summon so diligently. I would ask that you relay all that you know of the lands south and what items you have been tasked by your Order to find and retrieve. The more we know, the better prepared we can be."

Diplomacy with Dashan and Aliento: 1d20+10

”Ah – excellent! I must say sister – the title becomes thee well! And consider the trappings? Thy would soon have the likes of an Imperial Guard – Royal knights of honor – and the Republic of this land would look to thee – their Empress – for all things from which honor flows! How grand – how splendid – how - how… Imperial!” she adds with an excited cheer – her hands waving about her in a girlish joy.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

So, everyone would be happier with Baroness Ariarh? ;)


Ariarh Kane wrote:

Embarrassed by the general flow of discussion regarding marriage and what was overheard of Anuk-su's comment about Delain, she turns the discussion back onto council business, "My apologies. The title of Empress will do fine. Let us proceed with town matters and details pertaining to our journey south," keeping the embarrassed tremor from her voice and hoping her face was not flushed.

In relation to Kae's suggestions regarding the kobolds and the Spider's Nest, "Indeed, both matters will be addressed and as Robert suggested we can make a list and look to the tasks that have the greatest precedence and work through them. For now, we must concentrate on preparing for our next quest. I need to know how many will be joining us and we require detail from our Ustalavian friends as to what we are searching for exactly. I realise we are travelling to map and make claim to lands there, but I believe there are other crucial ventures in the form of these artifacts of power our enemies seem to be seeking."

Respectfully addressing Dashan and Aliento, "Gentleman, thank you for attending to our summon so diligently. I would ask that you relay all that you know of the lands south and what items you have been tasked by your Order to find and retrieve. The more we know, the better prepared we can be."

Diplomacy with Dashan and Aliento: 1d20+10

Brief Response:

Sir Dasahn and Aliento make themselves as comfortable as they can. After a few back-and-forth attempts – Sir Dashan concedes to allow Aliento to speak directly. This quickens things – as Sir Dashan’s somewhat archaic form of communication is punctuated with a form of poetry that slows things down considerably. Also – though Aliento is very dry in his telling – he sticks to the facts specifically.

”Of course – you’ve all had a chance to examine our map, so – naturally – we have no need of bringing it out again. I shall do my best to go over the particulars of what we saw.”

”Our mission initially took us to the east, as you know – there we found nothing but miles of open plains. There were heavy tracks of large elk that had passed – but we had seen none in some time. It appeared that something may have scared them off – but, as we are not trackers – we do not know the cause of this. Even so – we suspect these wide plains may be fruitful – yet, they may be filled with predatory creatures – though we saw none, it is mere supposition.”

”As we advanced further south we encountered the occasional wanderer – mostly trappers or hunters – that looked for game to the south of your lands. They had unusual tales to tell.”

”We ignored most of the stories – being more concerned with tangible evidence and landmarks – and so proceeded, despite their vague innuendo of troubles to the east.”

At this Sir Dashan lets out a frustrated sigh, and interrupts.

”Aye – this is so, yet – would I alone I should have sought these adventures, for the seemed to me a dangerous origin, and the story was repeated enough to give credence, yet it was not our concern for we were charged on a mission for our lord. Still – the tales were… unusual – to say the least.”

”Yes, yes," Aliento says, breaking in again.

"The fools spoke of a mound to some dead king – a fallen warrior to the east – but the claimed the mound was haunted. Some claimed it was filled with treasure – others claimed it was filled undead creatures of dark design – in either case, they were likely mistaken; the usual type of folk easily bothered by nonsensical campfire ghost tales.”

”Wait – where is this mound,” Anuk-su says hopping up eagerly.

The two Ustalavians glanced at each other, and give her a vague answer – as neither of them have seen this place.

”Aye – the place was know to me – at least – in old tales, I should think. Some say a great captain of our folk who fought many battles in our southern borders was laid to rest there – some five-hundred years before my birth – a stern man, but a fine warrior. It is said his tomb was filled with great treasure and mighty weapons – and his spirit would watch the eastern flank. Of course – this tale is widely discredited as nonsense – for he was no undead beast – and dead men do no business without the help of necromantic sorcery. Even so – if the tomb does exist – it may be tampered with… Still – this is indeed a fascinating tale – proceed!” she adds somewhat imperiously.

”Um… yes,” Aliento says glancing at his brother-in-arms, Sir Dashan looking equally confused at this.

”Well – yes – we the moved farther south until we came to a narrow river crossing – a ford – which we passed with some ease. This is clearly marked on the map – but as the river widens to the east and west the ford is quickly lost and the river dangerous to cross.”

”Indeed – as we moved west again – we saw eventually the river spilled into a wide and filthy deluge – like a vast bubbling muddy ooze. This ooze was pockmarked with filthy creatures and it was disgusting. We avoided it – but were warned by other trappers and the like that we spied near the water that the mud was filled with foul gasses that were poisonous besides.”

”We then moved south with a purpose – for one of the wandering trappers seemed like a honest fellow, and for some ready coin promised to show us something of value. We proceeded – and eventually came to a broken down stone pier – the pier was on the northeastern shore of a small inlet that spilled up into the mud, and out to the rivers edge. By now the river had widened considerably – and we could not see the other side easily, for it was filled with mist far to the west.”

”At this old pier we observed that there were small boats – skiffs and other rafts. A few old huts were there – near the pier – and we were told that this place had a modest collection of local fisherfolk – perhaps twenty or thirty men who wintered here and our guide admitted that there had been trouble lately.”

”All of the men had left the area – but for the guide – who told us that the river itself had suffered great harm – some foul beast was in it – or so the stories ran. Further – he said that there were dark tales of an evil witch who lived in the southwestern ruins on the other side of the haunted island.”

”We were greatly curious at this – for we could see that, perhaps a league or so out from the coast there was indeed an island – but it seemed also shrouded with mist. Beyond that, there was more of desolation of the mud and filth – more mists, and the ruins of some ancient place which this witch lived in.”

”Ah! Thy speak with what thy do not know!” Anuk-su interrupts suddenly.

”This island is undoubtedly the place that once held Pugnaculum Ad Finem (the Last Watchtower), or in the Elvish – Hudor Phrourion (the Water Fortress). In either case – this island held a mighty tower – tall and fair – and the lord of it surveyed the borders of our southern kingdom with ease. In which case – these “ruins” are likely to be the same city that stood as support to this tower – and provided the people with food and supplies. Now – the city is likely destroyed – but surely there is some mystery with the tower – for it cannot have fallen into some mean dotage without great assault – though, of course – that may yet have happened. Tell me then – what did thou discover whence thy journeyed to the island?”

”Sadly – nothing,” Aliento says somewhat tersely at Anuk-su’s outburst.

”We were unable to get our horses and gear so long a distance over the water without a competent sailor to pilot the skiffs or rafts – yet the guide would not be swayed for any amount of coin – for, as he said – the river was dangerous lately – all the fishing weakened or destroyed. Moreover – even if the water was safe as a child’s playroom – he would not venture onto the “haunted island” for any money – for he claimed the place was cursed – and fell lights could be seen from the shore in the tower during dark and stormy nights. As for the ruins? We did not seek them. To get to them without a ship or vessel would be nigh impossible – for the land itself which surrounded the ruins was filled with heavy mud. To approach these ruins would mean we would need to ride all the way back north, and come south again on the western bank – then, find a way across the huge tracks of mud – after which we would be forced to find what would be worthwhile in old ruins which were supposedly peopled by some cursed witch – though of course – we came no where near this place.”

Anuk-su is pacing about.

”Aye – it is clear that the island can be reached from water – if a sailor had a vessel to the west of the island – on the river that runs far west to the deep valleys of the Aqua Infernum – (the wet heat) – then it is clear that should a good sailor take a vessel from this ruined pier – sail west on the river to the island – search out its contents – then continue to sail west – they could – with some difficulty, depending on the mud and filth – sail all the way west into the very deep valleys. This journey on the water is safest, I would deem – for if the vessel was large enough – horses could be ferried across the river, or so it is said in my youth. Though now many things have changed – perhaps the width of the river, and the depth; for in truth this muddied land thy speak of was once a large and massive lake – and the ruins you spoke of were on a somewhat tall hill, as a plateau. No doubt when the dam was burst apart and the waters were free to spill in all direction – it may be that this area was allowed to have no proper filling of water – and the course of the river changed in time. Even so – would I guess – I would say that a man from the south would move north to a wide and heavy river,” she adds enthusiastically.

”Then – achieving the river – they would seek a crossing. For it was wide when I was young – would they move west, they would find the deep valleys of heat and steams – yet if they moved east they would find the very mud and filth that were spoke of. Surely a person may find this place and – having discovered it – perhaps sail to the ruins there? If so – this place may yet hold the very last bastion of my folk – perchance a clue? For it is called – by no accident – the Last Fortress – for it was southernmost, and the most far east – and least likely to be assailed by enemies from the west, who we deemed the true threat. If we would hide others as myself – this place seems a fair business. And it is now called “haunted” – an easy ruse to frighten the superstitious folk that would venture upon it.”

”Should an enemy discover this place – and find ancient ruins – and, perhaps – others like Sylvath – and perhaps my kindred – it is possible that they may even do experimentation as the foul Lencher – curse him – and his colleague this Ghold-se-kot. It was Lencher who possessed the greater wit in these matters, or so I read it in his writings, - yet Ghold-se-kot has the greater power, and his name hearkens southern in tone to my mouth. Could it be then that they conduct, even now – such experiments on this island?” she asks almost jumping with enthusiasm to pursue.

”It seems that is possible – yet before we grow overly excited – bear in mind that there many obstacles in the way – potential threats on the plains – a potentially cursed tomb – though I doubt it overly much – and, should we believe the tales of these fisher folk – dangerous creatures have scared away the fishing – though it seems more likely to me now that this is due more to “haunting” on the island. Yet – your guesses seem logical. If the island is “Haunted” then I would guess it was filled with nothing but these fell southerners who use it as a base to perform their experiments – much like at the same caves you were discovered at, miss,” Aliento breaks in, trying to wrest back control of the discussion.

”Aye, aye – it is true and likely. A perfect place – for, if there are in fact my folk there – they need no other base to work on. The island is well fortified – so say the stories – and the tower a fine base of operations – so the tales say – and easily defensible – a small group of folk could live there with some ease. And, if the ruins were opened from the deluge – another potential base for our own people! Further – all a clever man must do to keep away the simple is use a few spells to create a “haunting’ of the place – and none would enter it! And look – it is south – southerners heading north would surely pass it before us – no doubt they would see it and move on it quickly! Yes – I say we should go – and at once!” she adds clapping her hands with enthusiastic glee.

”Yes – well – that seems good and fair – but, if may – it is no easy journey. The rivers are wild this time of year – for there is still heavy flooding, we are barely into spring, yet. To travel by horse would be best – but its own dangers are there. And if we travel the western side we may fare better – but it is the same side that the Osirions have traveled. We may find more of their filth in that way – then again – we may not… Only the gods know. Yet if we take the side myself and Sir Dashan elected – well; there are many things to observe, and even now – we are overly late with reports to our lord in the west. We cannot in good faith tarry with another journey south with so much to report.”

Anuk-su looks like someone just stole her last sweetmeat at those words.

”But – but surely thy shall not leave so soon – if thy would find details to the south on what mission may aid thy lord – certainly what we discover there may bring great news for him to interpret, is it not so? And – even if thy would leave –no doubt thy shall return soon, yes?” she says, her tone more of a plea then a question.

”Well – in this our hands are bound to the duty of our lord. Yet, perhaps – we may elect to stay a bit longer – if only to receive news on thy venture south. But not overly long – for Aliento is right – we must be away and soon, in time,” Sir Dashan says gently to Anuk-su, whose lower lip is even now trembling a bit.

Okay gang – that’s “A pestle of news and no mistake” – as some folk would say. So – what are you going to do with it? Just let me know.


Ariarh Kane wrote:
So, everyone would be happier with Baroness Ariarh? ;)

With all the concern about "reptile folk" - would it not be best to avoid the title "Baroness"? I mean - what is this - C.O.B.R.A.? On the other hand, if that is true - you can just call me Serpentor!


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Shaezon and Mister exchange glances, but he remains silent. he feels he has nothing to add at present.


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Shaezon and Mister exchange glances, but he remains silent. he feels he has nothing to add at present.

Wait, really? So the presence of a never-before-seen metalic race of kobolds which are on an island which may be under the sway of a powerful sorcerer - and the potential existence of buried magical treasure and potential wealth - untapped wonders in an ancient tower from a bygone age that is supposedly linked to folk who are conducting scientific experiments on creatures to breed an army of magically and alchemically mutated "super-soldiers" - whose very scientists come from a race of people that magically transported themselves from the other side of the world and are potentially looking for something very important at your very doorstep? All of this and the most gifted person in the party that posses a knowledge of magical artifacts and the Arcane in general remains silent at this time? Well - okay... no worries, then. But, for my edification - what would tempt your fancy in the future?


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

The back of my skull got a nice whack just now (purely accidental but still) and I'm not feeling the best right now -- vision is slightly blurry. I will get back to your brief response soon, GM.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:
Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Shaezon and Mister exchange glances, but he remains silent. he feels he has nothing to add at present.
Wait, really? So the presence of a never-before-seen metalic race of kobolds which are on an island which may be under the sway of a powerful sorcerer - and the potential existence of buried magical treasure and potential wealth - untapped wonders in an ancient tower from a bygone age that is supposedly linked to folk who are conducting scientific experiments on creatures to breed an army of magically and alchemically mutated "super-soldiers" - whose very scientists come from a race of people that magically transported themselves from the other side of the world and are potentially looking for something very important at your very doorstep? All of this and the most gifted person in the party that posses a knowledge of magical artifacts and the Arcane in general remains silent at this time? Well - okay... no worries, then. But, for my edification - what would tempt your fancy in the future?

lol. Well, when you put it that way. Lol. I'll think of something clever tomorrow. Headed to bed now. The silence was mostly a factor of me being really busy IRL and not a reflection on the game.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

can we have henry come to the meeting too?"
"Excellent! I think Mak Morn's absence would be less marked, although Henry is a... more subtle... sort of fellow. Ry, who do you think we should send? perhaps both of them?"


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Having listened to the Ustalavians recount their knowledge of the southlands, she ponders the information on the broken down stone pier.

Turning to Khromm and Lazurien, she quietly speaks, her accent still heavy 'neath the soft tone of her voice, "Did we not come across such a broken down stone pier on our journey north? Miss Lazurien, you flew us over the large body of water. Was there not a fetid muddy ooze in close proximity? The recount of the landscape sounds familiar, even though I do not know what direction south this Ustalavian faaris and his companion took."


Female Silver Dragon My Level of Class is unmatched by any and all!
Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

can we have henry come to the meeting too?"

"Excellent! I think Mak Morn's absence would be less marked, although Henry is a... more subtle... sort of fellow. Ry, who do you think we should send? perhaps both of them?"

"Um - ahem - I believe that thou should say My Empress - not "Ry", sir!" Anuk-su interjects with a somewhat cool tone.

She ponders a bit...

"Hmm... perhaps even Empress is a bit pedestrian - yet "My Master" seems somehow too... paternal - Blast! There must be a happy medium - fear not, sister - I shall discover it forthwith!"

Wow - at first I thought you hitting your head was metaphorical after reading the response - but now I am not too sure. I hope it gets better either way, though.


Isani Isu wrote:

Having listened to the Ustalavians recount their knowledge of the southlands, she ponders the information on the broken down stone pier.

Turning to Khromm and Lazurien, she quietly speaks, her accent still heavy 'neath the soft tone of her voice, "Did we not come across such a broken down stone pier on our journey north? Miss Lazurien, you flew us over the large body of water. Was there not a fetid muddy ooze in close proximity? The recount of the landscape sounds familiar, even though I do not know what direction south this Ustalavian faaris and his companion took."

Remember - to expedite the process - I removed Khromm from the meeting - and I do not know that Laz is here - as I asked, but received no answer. However - I believe that Clari was there, and I also believe that Kae invited her to the Council - though I could be mistaken on that point. Also - I am not entirely certain about Laz until I hear the straight word, but for now - it could either way.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

can we have henry come to the meeting too?"

"Excellent! I think Mak Morn's absence would be less marked, although Henry is a... more subtle... sort of fellow. Ry, who do you think we should send? perhaps both of them?"

No, I was really injured on the head -- and still am somewhat woozy. Hope my postings make sense -- not sure how lucid I am right now.

Kae, since the GM didn't mention we couldn't have Henry in there with us (as well as Patty) then we can presume he is there ... for social rp sake.

Having listened to the Ustalavians tale of the cursed, haunted island, and still pondering on the information, she catches Kae's question directed at her and turns to respond to him, "Mak Morn is a strong, mountain of a dwarf and capable in caves. He however lacks the ability to listen and be covert in his actions. He would rather rush in then heed caution. Henry Ironhorse has the skill and temperament and can work in conjunction with Commander Tinker and his men. I would say send Henry in, if he is amiable to the idea, and if necessary, for strength in numbers, we can then send Mak Morn a few days later. They work well as a team. If they both left together, that would certainly garner unwanted attention and they could be followed. I would rather the Osirions did not know of the location of the Spider's Nest. That Black Stone altar is a mighty powerful weapon, especially in the wrong hands. What say you Henry? Do you think this plan is sound? I would hear from you as you have greater expertise in situations like this."

Diplomacy with Henry: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Yes, Clari is in the meeting as Kae brought her along. However, Isani and Clari do not have a harmonious relationship and the elven girl has been quite harsh verbally with Isani to date ... sigh. I presumed Ras would bring Lazurien in ... but I could be mistaken.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Seeing Anuk-su's obvious distress at the impending departure of her beloved Sir Dashan, she moves forward, toward the Ustalavians, "Either the haunting is a clever ruse to keep people off the island or there is a witch protecting the place. Do we have magicks to combat such a mighty sorceress?"

Knowledge, Nature (re witches and their weaknesses): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

Remembering the priestess and having noted her particular race, she politely questions Isani, "Priestess Isani, through your religious work or otherwise, what do you know of witches, possibly of ancient witches? I mean no disrespect to you as a clergyman from the South, yet I must ask since your ancestry would suggest you may know more than we currently do." She extends a friendly smile toward the changeling Osirion.


Ariarh Kane wrote:


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

can we have henry come to the meeting too?"

"Excellent! I think Mak Morn's absence would be less marked, although Henry is a... more subtle... sort of fellow. Ry, who do you think we should send? perhaps both of them?"

No, I was really injured on the head -- and still am somewhat woozy. Hope my postings make sense -- not sure how lucid I am right now.

Kae, since the GM didn't mention we couldn't have Henry in there with us (as well as Patty) then we can presume he is there ... for social rp sake.

Having listened to the Ustalavians tale of the cursed, haunted island, and still pondering on the information, she catches Kae's question directed at her and turns to respond to him, "Mak Morn is a strong, mountain of a dwarf and capable in caves. He however lacks the ability to listen and be covert in his actions. He would rather rush in then heed caution. Henry Ironhorse has the skill and temperament and can work in conjunction with Commander Tinker and his men. I would say send Henry in, if he is amiable to the idea, and if necessary, for strength in numbers, we can then send Mak Morn a few days later. They work well as a team. If they both left together, that would certainly garner unwanted attention and they could be followed. I would rather the Osirions did not know of the location of the Spider's Nest. That Black Stone altar is a mighty powerful weapon, especially in the wrong hands. What say you Henry? Do you think this plan is sound? I would hear from you as you have greater expertise in situations like this."

Diplomacy with Henry: 1d20+10

Henry strokes his chin a moment.

"Perhaps we should both go - Mak Morn is a bit brash at times - but this cave you mentioned - well... it is a cave - and from I heard from Brett - the altar was on a tall stair, and water flanked it. Beyond the stair and water... Well - Brett suggested no one actually bothered to see if there were other tunnels or channels that were running of the main room, perhaps to the back of the stairs to the altar? If that is the case - I would prefer to have someone with us that has experience in the underground."

He turns to Ariarh -

"Don't worry, ma'am - I'll keep him in check - he won't go charging off, I should think. Besides - I doubt very much if either of our presence will be missed overly much by our friends from the south. If you're agreeable to it, that is," he adds politely.


Isani Isu wrote:
Yes, Clari is in the meeting as Kae brought her along. However, Isani and Clari do not have a harmonious relationship and the elven girl has been quite harsh verbally with Isani to date ... sigh. I presumed Ras would bring Lazurien in ... but I could be mistaken.

Well - no reason Isani can't volunteer that to the group anyway. She is free to share what she has observed at any time.


Ariarh Kane wrote:

Seeing Anuk-su's obvious distress at the impending departure of her beloved Sir Dashan, she moves forward, toward the Ustalavians, "Either the haunting is a clever ruse to keep people off the island or there is a witch protecting the place. Do we have magicks to combat such a mighty sorceress?"

Knowledge, Nature (re witches and their weaknesses): 1d20+10

Remembering the priestess and having noted her particular race, she politely questions Isani, "Priestess Isani, through your religious work or otherwise, what do you know of witches, possibly of ancient witches? I mean no disrespect to you as a clergyman from the South, yet I must ask since your ancestry would suggest you may know more than we currently do." She extends a friendly smile toward the changeling Osirion.

In this case a Knowledge: Arcana - possibly religion - witches tap Arcane Magic - if you toss up that roll - Arcana - possibly Religion - you may learn more...

Also - Isani - what's up with her? She can totally chime in here...

Aliento ponders a moment;

"It is possible that to prevent a witch you would need to use protect yourself from things that can curse you - it is said that witches can utilize something called "hexes" - these powers are quite dangerous - I need time to research the issue - even so; when shall you set out on your mission? No doubt it would be a good thing to act sooner, rather then later, if it is true that the enemy may be acting even now - any delay could cause death to potential innocent life in the form of these silver kobolds who are seemingly goodly folk."


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Re Hexes and Witches,

Knowledge, Arcana: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Knowledge, Religion: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Re Hexes/Curses/Magic and Witches:

Knowledge, Arcana: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Knowledge, Religion: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3
Dain GM wrote:
Isani Isu wrote:
Yes, Clari is in the meeting as Kae brought her along. However, Isani and Clari do not have a harmonious relationship and the elven girl has been quite harsh verbally with Isani to date ... sigh. I presumed Ras would bring Lazurien in ... but I could be mistaken.
Well - no reason Isani can't volunteer that to the group anyway. She is free to share what she has observed at any time.

Okay, so the posting where Isani is talking about the broken down stone pier has been told to any present in the chamber, including Clari.


HP: 47 AC: 14 Hexblade 5

"Hex-craft is a dangerous art, and there's so many different kinds that can be manifested that every witch is different. There's powerful sleeping hexes, those giving flight, and there's no limit to their use. A wizard or priest is neutered and impotent when they are out of magic, but a witch always has her hexes." Clari plainly states.

turning to Isani and Ariarh "Are you powerful enough to fix curses? I dont much know about taking them away, but more about placing them. It's your sort that undoes our work." as it's the religious types that get "remove curse" which would be good to have when facing a witch.

To those who have met her, Clari is surprisingly personable. She lacks the condescending gaze and contemptuous sneer that has been her default expression. It seems as though her time with Selendria has had a positive impact on her behavior...

"You are right, we did pass by there. I believe Lazurien mentioned the tower of which you speak." she says, acknowledging Isani.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Isani Isu wrote:

Re Hexes/Curses/Magic and Witches:

Knowledge, Arcana: 1d20+8
Knowledge, Religion: 1d20+10

You know that witches are – in many ways – a bane to the forces of nature and those who hold it dear.

A witch has one of the more dangerous types of powers – unusual to most spellcasters. A witch is able to curse the land itself – this type of curse can prevent anything form growing there – killing all things, from plants to animals – and leaving it a blighted and terrible place.

A witch is able to produce similar damage to many mortals – most of these powers manifesting in the form of “curses” – to combat such a power, a being that is able to “remove curses” – (as per the spell) will be best suited to preventing such a power.

Further – a witch, like a wizard – has the use of creatures to aid them – generally a familiar of sorts – but, unlike a regular wizard’s familiar – a witch’s familiar is able to extend the curses onto those who spy it.

A witch does not gain their power from the gods – nor from the earth – nor even from arcane energies. Rather – a witch is granted their power from sort of “patron”. The patron is best described as a powerful being – one that most folk do not know fully. Instead – these patrons are unknown beings – not named or often recognized by most folk. Some theorize that this is why witches are ostracized. Of course – the ability to curse people and land – leaving crops dead – and beasts barren – may also contribute to this dislike and distrust…

Regrettably - Ariarh does not know much with those rolls.


Female Silver Dragon My Level of Class is unmatched by any and all!
Clari Miali'ahel wrote:

"Hex-craft is a dangerous art, and there's so many different kinds that can be manifested that every witch is different. There's powerful sleeping hexes, those giving flight, and there's no limit to their use. A wizard or priest is neutered and impotent when they are out of magic, but a witch always has her hexes." Clari plainly states.

turning to Isani and Ariarh "Are you powerful enough to fix curses? I dont much know about taking them away, but more about placing them. It's your sort that undoes our work." as it's the religious types that get "remove curse" which would be good to have when facing a witch.

To those who have met her, Clari is surprisingly personable. She lacks the condescending gaze and contemptuous sneer that has been her default expression. It seems as though her time with Selendria has had a positive impact on her behavior...

"You are right, we did pass by there. I believe Lazurien mentioned the tower of which you speak." she says, acknowledging Isani.

"What?! You passed by this place and yet have remained silent after all of this? Speak plain then woman - we have no time for riddling words or vague references! I demand facts - hard and fast - and therefore information that can present a means for which we can act. There is far too much dallying as of now - would it I - I would already had my folk packed and on the road. I simply do not understand how no action is being taken!"

Anuk-su is quite unhappy that it seems that there is clear information on the southern lands - espied by those who had journeyed there - yet, there is no hard data being presented. She speaks in the same terse voice - not unlike a child who is being thwarted from getting her way - but it is also colored by a clear fear that every moment may count - and even as her companions were butchered by bandits for errors in the past - so, too may they be killed with some ease if no quick action was taken.

She fixes the priestess with a stern eye.

"Thou! Thou art a priestess of a goddess of good faith - where is thy tongue in these matters. Thou art here as a guest of the Empress of these lands - very well; as her guest thy should speak, and not remain silent. I do not like thy silence - it does not speak well of thee."

She turns to Ariarh -

"Lady - these two have journeyed to the south and do not share information with thee. I would say that they should speak clearly - further; I should say that if thy two are even yet in the same room - then there should be at the least words between thee - the others may take long to answer - for they are concerned with their own matters - but when these southern folk engage with thee - our leader - then I see no reason why they should be silent at all!"

Again - Anuk-su seems very upset about the delays - and is eager to move forward. She is worried that the group is discussing details slowly - and taking little action. Wise planning is one thing - but even the best plans come to naught if action is not taken...


HP: 47 AC: 14 Hexblade 5

"No one thought to ask me, child!" Clari says tersely, standing and glaring at Anuk-su. "There was a tower and land we crossed and a broken down barge. We saw the same things as those men." pointing at Dashan and Aliento. "What FACTS do you want? What data could we have that you can glean by telling us to hurry up?

<Clari, you realize that you address a dragon-welp. Mind yourself, child.> Karavel chides. The others see Clari cock her head toward her hilt and let out a hiss.

She takes a breath, and asks those in the chambers, "What information can we give you regarding the south?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Since the imperious young ward Anuk-su Seti was commanding her to speak, she deferred answering Clari's question for the moment.

With solemnity she begins retelling their account of the river, "My Lady Ariarh and Council members, my companions and I ventured through an area of land similar to the one described by the Ustalavian company present in these chambers. As we moved toward the northern town, your Saravale, we came across a river, approximately 70 to 80 yards wide and 150 feet in depth. Upon further notice we discovered a very large river to the east of us. Between our location and the lake, there appeared to be heavily cracked muddy flats, soggy marshland and bogs. One could see from a distance steam and vapor rise from the cracks in the earth and occasional bubbly pools of mud splattering in the distance. When the winds grew in strength, one could smell the bogs to the east and the stink was most foul. To the west of us was an extensive, canopied forest and many miles into the heavy greenery there were traces of mists and fogs which covered much of the lower valleys. The river we discovered spilled down into the valleys farther to the west. So, there we stood, unusual mists to the west and strange bogs to the east." She pauses in her conversation to allow the assembly time to digest the information so far. She scans the faces and stops when she reaches the Lady druid leader. "As we moved farther south down the river, it began to twist and then abruptly the bank rose up, forming a small, shallow pool, which looked 70 feet end to end and stood 50 feet from the coastline. It seemed to be 2 to 3 feet in depth. Heavy trees hung overhead and we noticed a considerable post, around 2 feet wide and 6 feet tall. Protruding from it were heavy rings and substantial chain, 1 feet in width and around 60 feet in length positioning the end of it somewhere near the sandy shore. On the far side of the river we discovered a similar structure to the one on the southern shore -- a shallow pool, a stone "dock" immersed beneath the water and a post with chain attached to it. We came to realise that there must have been a system created for a water vessel such as a ferry or barge to be tugged from shore to shore, providing transportation across the river. We found a ferry but it was lodged in mud and the chain link for the pulley system was cracked and broken. We came to the conclusion that someone with strength or magic broke the chain so we could not follow after them across the river. I hope this information is sufficient, my Lady Ariarh. My travelling companions may have more detail to disclose," and with that she bows and stands quietly in the middle of the chamber.


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3
Clari Miali'ahel wrote:

Turning to Isani and Ariarh "Are you powerful enough to fix curses? I dont much know about taking them away, but more about placing them. It's your sort that undoes our work." as it's the religious types that get "remove curse" which would be good to have when facing a witch.

To those who have met her, Clari is surprisingly personable. She lacks the condescending gaze and contemptuous sneer that has been her default expression. It seems as though her time with Selendria has had a positive impact on her behavior...

"You are right, we did pass by there. I believe Lazurien mentioned the tower of which you speak." she says, acknowledging Isani.

"Miss Clari, it is most unfortunate that at the present time, my magic is not developed enough to break enchantment and curses (Break Enchantment, level 5 spell, and Isani is Cleric 3), although I do know the incantation to dispel magic if that is useful. If it is a true witch residing on the island then she has the ability to curse the land itself, leaving it so blighted that nothing would grow there, killing all plants and animals. She most probably has a familiar and it can extend curses unto any who look upon it." Looking into the face of the handsome Ustalavian knight, "Sir Dashan, were there accounts of a familiar? It would be good to know in advance what manner of creature it is."

Diplomacy with Dashan/Aliento (if he chooses to answer instead): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Ariarh listens carefully both to Isani and Clari recount their river escapade. Concentrating on the Elven female before her, she answers her question regarding curses, "I do not have the ability to break curses, on the land or inflicted on creatures."

Then a sudden thought comes to mind, "Clari, you mentioned something about knowing how to place a curse on objects. Could you manage a counter curse on this witch?"


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Shaezon ponders the situation. He's heard a lot of information about Metalic Kobolds, and witches and Islands, etc etc. He's trying to make sense of it all and see if perhaps he knows something that hasnt't already been brought up.

For sake of efficienty I'm going to start using something that has worked well in other games. "the Knowledge Gauntlet" Essentially I'll roll all knowledges and the DM can pick the ones that are relevant and ignore the rest.

The Knowledge Gauntlet regarding Witches:

Know Arcana 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17
Know Dungeon1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Know Engineer1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Know Geography1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Know History1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Know local1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Know Nature1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Know Nobility1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Know Planes1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Know Religion1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Spellcraft1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33

The Knowledge Gauntlet regarding kobolds:

Know Arcana 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30
Know Dungeon1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Know Engineer1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Know Geography1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Know History1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Know local1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Know Nature1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Know Nobility1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Know Planes1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Know Religion1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Spellcraft1d20 + 15 ⇒ (2) + 15 = 17

The Knowledge Gauntlet Misc:

Know Arcana 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30
Know Dungeon1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Know Engineer1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Know Geography1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Know History1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Know local1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Know Nature1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
Know Nobility1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Know Planes1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Know Religion1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Spellcraft1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31

Edit: Added spellcraft


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

"Ahh flight. Some day I shall defy gravity in such a way." Shaezon thinks to himself.

In a voice indicating he is mildly insulted (but only mildly) shaezon says as if speaking to a particulariliy slow student, "Divine casters are not the only ones who can break curses. However, as I have not had time or excess income to study such magics I do not have this ability as of yet."

Taking just a slight liberty for the sake of contributing to the conversation..

"Witches are hedge magicians. They blend powers of the arcane and divine. Not all witches are evil and not all are female. They have the same capabilities of good and evil as any other type of caster and gender or species isn't a deciding factor. Their familiars are their source of power much in the same way my book is my source. Killing the familiar will weaken the witch, but not necessarily in the short term. So if you're fighting her and kill her familiar she does not immediately become less powerful. She will undoubetedly become very angry though, which can be useful. It will, however, hamper her abilitty to replenish her magical reserve."

"Hexes are small magical effects that can be used adnausea. In this case 'small' is a term relative to the power of the witch. The effects can actually be quite unpleasant."

"The tactics of dealing with them are the same as with any other caster. Get close, use Melee, don't let them touch you, etc etc." Shae twirls his hand in a "and so on and so forth" motion as he says etc.


Female Silver Dragon My Level of Class is unmatched by any and all!
Clari Miali'ahel wrote:

"No one thought to ask me, child!" Clari says tersely, standing and glaring at Anuk-su. "There was a tower and land we crossed and a broken down barge. We saw the same things as those men." pointing at Dashan and Aliento. "What FACTS do you want? What data could we have that you can glean by telling us to hurry up?

<Clari, you realize that you address a dragon-welp. Mind yourself, child.> Karavel chides. The others see Clari cock her head toward her hilt and let out a hiss.

She takes a breath, and asks those in the chambers, "What information can we give you regarding the south?"

Anuk-su turns a stunned look at Clari; seeing the look she is given from the now standing outsider.

Her tone of worry and frustration is instantly replaced and transformed. She gives Clari a cold look.

”Watch thy tongue! Else we two must exit these chambers forthwith – and I shall take thee to duel – blood to blood – and show thee the meaning of courtesy! If thy dare speak to me in that fashion again – know that I shall demand satisfaction. If thy cannot perform – if thy shirk from such a duty – then it shall be know that thou have no honor – and are a coward. Or – thy may simple silence thy tone – and proceed with some form of courtesy.”

”Thou art as a guest in these lands – do not forget it – or, I promise – I shall put thee to the test – and we shall see if thy can deal with blood for thy argument.”

”Do thou understand my words – or should I speak more plain?” she asks, her tone now ice.


Robert shakes himself from his musings to catch this back-and-forth.

”Enough! There can’t be talk of this sort here. Anuk-su you need to compose yourself – there won’t be any talk of dueling or killing. It's unseemly, and – at the least – it’s not appropriate in the Council Chamber – and as for you, Miss,” he says turning to Clari ”We have all had trouble – but you are an adult – and Anuk-su is barely eight years in age. Keep that in mind when you think to spar back and forth with each other with your words.”

He looks between the two ladies.

”Now – let’s end this type of conversation, eh? There are far more useful things to discuss then such petty arguments. We need action – and to plan – come; let us take action, then,” he says, looking around the room, waiting for a response, hoping for something pleasant.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Looking around at the room Shaezon suddenly realizes that he's probably the oldest one here.


Isani Isu wrote:

Since the imperious young ward Anuk-su Seti was commanding her to speak, she deferred answering Clari's question for the moment.

With solemnity she begins retelling their account of the river, "My Lady Ariarh and Council members, my companions and I ventured through an area of land similar to the one described by the Ustalavian company present in these chambers. As we moved toward the northern town, your Saravale, we came across a river, approximately 70 to 80 yards wide and 150 feet in depth. Upon further notice we discovered a very large river to the east of us. Between our location and the lake, there appeared to be heavily cracked muddy flats, soggy marshland and bogs. One could see from a distance steam and vapor rise from the cracks in the earth and occasional bubbly pools of mud splattering in the distance. When the winds grew in strength, one could smell the bogs to the east and the stink was most foul. To the west of us was an extensive, canopied forest and many miles into the heavy greenery there were traces of mists and fogs which covered much of the lower valleys. The river we discovered spilled down into the valleys farther to the west. So, there we stood, unusual mists to the west and strange bogs to the east." She pauses in her conversation to allow the assembly time to digest the information so far. She scans the faces and stops when she reaches the Lady druid leader. "As we moved farther south down the river, it began to twist and then abruptly the bank rose up, forming a small, shallow pool, which looked 70 feet end to end and stood 50 feet from the coastline. It seemed to be 2 to 3 feet in depth. Heavy trees hung overhead and we noticed a considerable post, around 2 feet wide and 6 feet tall. Protruding from it were heavy rings and substantial chain, 1 feet in width and around 60 feet in length positioning the end of it somewhere near the sandy shore. On the far side of the river we discovered a similar structure to the one on the southern shore -- a shallow pool, a stone "dock"...

Quick Response to some basic facts:

Robert, hearing the story from Isani, glances between her, then back at Aliento and Sir Dashan.

”Interesting – I’m new to the River Kingdoms myself, being from Brevoy – but this tale interests me; specifically about the issue regarding the river.”

”Based on your accounts, the river seemed quite wide, and quite deep – this much is clear. And the very girth of the chain we nearly a foot, if not more? Yet you suspect it was by magic that the chain was sundered, or very great strength…” he adds, less a statement, now more a question.

”And – in the meantime – you mention also that these southern fishing folk have lamented a trouble with a loss of fish? And further suggest their laments are from superstitious guesses?”

Robert leans back and ponders something – considering the facts as best as he can.

”It seems clear – something in the water has dismayed the fishing. For if the wandering men – trappers and hunters – would leave their base of operations that existed, even under the threat of this tower – for other places to do business – then they would leave behind invested capital. They wouldn’t do that unless there was a reason, superstition or not. We can therefore assume that it is highly likely that something in the area pushed aside their fishing.”

Robert hops up from his chair, and begins to pace – as if walking is helping him think.

”Next – while likely that the waters have been blighted or cursed – even as the land has been – this not necessarily true – but mere supposition. Put that theory aside, for now – and assume that there is something to dismay fish in the area. If so – this would be a suddenly fortunate thing for the folk on the island. For if they wished to make the island an abode, the only bastion for defense they could have is the trust that the fearful would avoid it out of fright. But that isn’t enough – a bold man may venture onto their island, and perhaps disrupt their plans. Therefore – whoever is currently on the island – and we have strong reason to suspect it is our “friends” from the south – will need definite protection from potential invasion via folk on boats.”

”Now – if that is, in fact – the case; we can make an educated guess – not necessarily correct – but certainly reasonable, based on the facts.”

”The first,” he says, speaking in a more animated tone ”Is that the river that exits from our own swamp here, runs the full length south, right to the island, though it consistently runs downhill, and is therefore difficult to travel upriver. The second point is that near the island a second major river spills on an east west track – pushing past the island west – through the bogs, west – and all the way west until it reaches the same valley with these steams – no doubt the very same… what did you call it? Ah! The valley of the “Wet Heat” – an odd title, but with the rising steam – perhaps aptly named.”

”This same river which runs east-west is joined to the water that surrounds the island, but it is unlikely that enemy from the water in the island could “sail” all the way west down the river to the point where these goodly folk crossed – because a sailor would be forced to sail through thick and heavy bogs – very difficult to get something large and weighty through…”

’Now – let us take these facts, and add that guesswork,” Robert adds.

”Let us assume that, in fact – the Osirions were on the island now – and they were concocting some sort of plot there. Let us assume they had no real military presence to protect them – that would merely arouse suspicion. Let us also assume they needed to protect their work – not only from the likes of us, but wandering hunters and the curious, who clearly make their living on the northeastern flank of the water with modest fishing enterprises.”

”Let us further assume that they cannot have fishers who may decide to investigate the island and see what they are up to – and even if they believe that much of the fisher folk will be scared off – such dangerous men will need more sure protection.”

”Now – I know nothing of the desert – being from the north – but they are at the least spellcasters – and they are well versed with mutating the flesh of normal creatures for the purpose of creating monstrous soldiers – perhaps too with guardians?”

”Therefore – perhaps the Osirions – having created their camp on the island crafted with sorcery – or manipulated the flesh of an existing creature – some sort of creature to patrol the water. Perhaps a large creature – a beast which could destroy ships – kill fishermen – and, certainly – drive away fish?”

”Such a beast would be large indeed – it would have to be – for if the fisher folk’s tale is true – that they have skiffs and other vessels large enough to ferry gear and heavy horses – we can assume that a small creature – one that is not powerful enough to capsize such a vessel – wouldn’t do the task. It would have to be large – and powerful – and strong enough to overcome a mighty company. For even if the fishermen do not have such a mighty company – that matters little to the Osirions – they’d need protection from something like that – because that would be where the true threat lays – from folk like you.”

”Now,” he adds, nodding his head as if the facts agree, all the while Dasha turns a sly smile at him with a curious mixture of pride at wisdom, awe at his logic, and some version of lust for the passion of his thoughts ”there are some other obvious facts to think on.”

”If my guess is correct – that the Osirions created a water guardian – with magic or alchemy – or their twisted study into the mutation of flesh – or, as it recalls to my mind – was there not a massive amount of searching done in the town in the bounty hunter guild lately – large bounties placed for magical or unusual mundane creatures of the north – perhaps specimens may even now be collected by more unscrupulous folk for such a project, or other similar ones – oh, your pardon – I digress… where was I? Ah! Yes – if the Osirions did in fact make a guardian of the water to protect their island – and it was in fact a living creature – and no undead one, as seems logical, based on their previous work – then such a creature must eat, clearly. But it must eat quite a bit – for it would be very large – large enough to eat all the fish in the area around the island. But what then?”

”The creature would not be able to swim up the river to our fortress – for the current is strong – I do not know if it could swim south – but to the east and west – the river is flanked by heavy mud and filth, making passage impossible for it – according to the account of both the good Ustalavians, and the folk from the south… Yet sooner or later, it must eat. But, it is like a fish in a glass bowl – with no food to eat, it will starve – and yet were could it go?”

”We now take into account another fact, mentioned by the good Tyrene about the river ford he reached – Indeed, Magus Aliento spoke on the waters near the ford – he said that where the ford itself was it was crossable – but he also claimed that the waters grew angry and dangerous away from the ford – as, in his words –”The rivers were vast and dangerous” – but this is clear – for as the snows have melted – the rivers run faster and deeper this time of year.”

”Now – let further assume that the fisher folk were right; there was some fearsome water beast near the island driving away the fish. Let us also assume that the creature cannot move its veritable prison near the island – for it is heavily mired on the west side by thick ooze and mud – the river that passes us running to the lake below, the current runs south, preventing the creature from swimming north – and by the accounts of the Osirions – the other river runs west, into a valley – preventing such a creature from swimming east.”

”What if this creature was starving – and desperately needed food. Would it not seek food, perhaps – in the west – but how can it, if the water is mired by the bogs? Yet we know that heavy rains have persisted to widen the rivers, causing them to run both fast and deep – logic seems to suggest that any creature that counted on the bogs and mud as certain protection from the creature escaping to the west would not count on the fact that in the spring there is quite a bit of flooding in the rivers – and they widen and deepen considerably. Perhaps even wide enough, and deep enough – for such a creature to be able to move, though with difficulty, perhaps – through the bogs west – following the course of the river to greater places for food?”

”If this guess is correct – only a fool unversed with our local patterns of weather would not have considered when our flooding cycle starts in the north – only considering when their own flooding cycle begins. They would have to be new to the land not to know this – and been here less then a year – even as these Osirion folk. Further – if my guess is correct – if the creature did escape the western side of the bogs – likely if the waters have risen this time of year – and it was desperate for food – and, moreover – large enough to consume a vessel that could ferry men and horses – would it not therefore move to the next good hunting ground? Yet – where would that be?” he asks with a somewhat rhetorical tone.

”Why – by all accounts – the very next landing where folk ferry vessels across the water. The creature would be used to going after men on barges – if my hunch is right, and it is bred for such tasks – it may even be intelligent, if it was magically made, or altered from basic natural creatures – still; if such a creature looked for food – was trained to assault barges and skiffs for the purpose of guarding the island – and these Osirions had a system in place which allowed them to ferry barges and skiffs across the river to the west – could it be that such a creature observed this system – waited near the skiff landing – and then, when they attempted to bring their folk across – the creature came from the water, and devoured them, and sundered the chain with the bite?”

"Yet the chain was cut in the middle - if a magic user cut the chain in the middle - the ferry would either be safely moored on either side - or the chain could be sundered while a person stood on the ferry - but then the ferry would be forced to drift. Indeed - unless the ferry was being drawn across the river on the chain - it is likely that it would remain moored. But the ferry was not moored - and the chain broke in the center by something that is likely to have struck the chain directly in the center, and likely when the ferry was in the middle of the river."

”If that is so – it would account for the fact that the skiff was found lodged on the shore. A wise person who had the power to sunder the chain may have decided to make the cut closer to the pylon – and not in the middle of the chain itself – as you suggest. They would take the ferry across, than cut the chain on the northern shore to prevent any from following. If they cut the chain on the southern shore to prevent any from following – then they would have nowhere to go – and be forced to stand and fight any who followed, or ride south again – and you would have met them on the trail, for it seems as if there was, in fact – quite a clear trail that was seen that they traveled openly.”

Robert turns from his pacing and flings himself back into his chair, letting out a deep sigh, and drinking a draught of wine. The young girl Dasha leans over him, her hands, which had – on occasion – massaged his shoulders, are now languidly sliding down over his chest, her lips upturned in a very pleased, if not sultry – smile of satisfaction – and you hear her whisper over and again ”My man, my loving man…”.

Robert says nothing at her increasingly direct caresses, but does look a trifle embarrassed.

”If my guesses are correct then – the waters near the island were protected by some sort of aquatic guardian – which frightened off the fishermen and protected the island from direct assault – the creature exhausted its food supply and was starving, and when the heavy waters allowed escape west – down the heavily flowing river – it moved its way through the now passable swamp and ooze – swimming farther west until it came to a place where men sailed across the water – such a creature, trained to hunt such vessels and men could have likely attacked a company of men who attempted to get across the river – sundering the chain in the process, for the creature must be very large – and in the process cut the chance of allowing another company from getting across the river by boat with ease.”

Patting Dasha’s girlish hand gently – he encourages her caresses to become more modest.

”If that is correct then you were fortunate,” he says to Isani ”Crossing the river when you did – and where you did – if the creature was nearby – it may have assaulted your vessel. But this seems unlikely – with the speed and depth of the river – the creature, if there was such a creature – would have likely been forced by the current westward – and, unless another barge of Osirions was readily handy – it would have traveled west sooner for more food.”

”This would suggest that there is no longer an aquatic guardian by the tower – at least, for now. Soon, though, if not already, they will discover the trouble – and no doubt take pains to rectify the situation. You had a narrow shave – so to speak – with the creature in the water – I would recommend that, if you travel to this island – by prepared for such trouble – for there may be another guardian there when you arrive – either recently “created” – or imported – or by some other means. The Osirions there are full of guile – they will not allow the creature’s absence to remain long – by now they would have noticed. They would have seen the trouble with the bogs – again – assuming my theories are correct, they are, after all, mere guesses based on facts – but if they noticed, and had the time – they would have prepared another guardian – perhaps even larger so it could not move through the bogs – or perhaps undead one – so it will not trouble over food – or some other creature. Even so – when, and if you travel to this tower – I should guess that you would be best wary of the water when you arrive,” he concludes even as Dashas leans down and nips the tip of his ear with her teeth playfully, causing Robert to push her away a bit. He blushes crimson as she giggles – but it seems that the girl is very… excited when the man she chooses can figure things out.

Wow – I wish I could write resumes with this much enthusiasm! Sigh… Well – I’ll get there, soon.


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Looking around at the room Shaezon suddenly realizes that he's probably the oldest one here.

Actually - that is only theoretically true - while Anuk-su is an "eight year old child" - this is only because she was held in a version of suspended animation - by way of magical means - her actual age is well pushing 800 years - but of course, she is only been "aware" for 8 years. So - technically - she is older - but certainly not more mature :)


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:
Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Looking around at the room Shaezon suddenly realizes that he's probably the oldest one here.
Actually - that is only theoretically true - while Anuk-su is an "eight year old child" - this is only because she was held in a version of suspended animation - by way of magical means - her actual age is well pushing 800 years - but of course, she is only been "aware" for 8 years. So - technically - she is older - but certainly not more mature :)

Fair enough. Though I wouldn't count the suspended animation time as it isn't exactly productive.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Regarding Knowledge Rolls on witches –

Note: Though this information largely applies to Shae’s rolls – there are some highlighted points that apply to everyone in the party – all of you would have deduced the highlighted points – based on your knowledge rolls – they come toward the end.

To Shae

There is a very important nuance that you may not have considered – but your knowledge rolls would certainly take it into account.

You know already that all folk who use magic draw it from a “source”. A wizard uses specific words and gestures to tap the natural existence of Arcane Energy – in many ways, a wizard is similar to a scientist – he merely knows the proper “words”, “tone”, “gestures” and “components” – the right combination and so on to tap into the existence of Arcane Energy. A wizard merely must spend time recalling and studying the patterns of how to unlock this energy.

To all

A Magus is similar in all ways to a Wizard – only that they are less inclined to the full application of study regarding all arcane energy – as a wizard might – and rather mix their study with weaponry – and specifically how to harness that arcane energy into the weapon that they favor most.

To Shae, Ariarh and Isani

Now – a Druid is similar to a wizard in that they also have a source from where the magical power comes from – but rather then tap into the natural existence of what is called “arcane” energy – a Druid does it through what could best assumed as “life energy” – the energy (like kinetic energy, for example) that all living things give off naturally. This energy can be tapped on a daily basis – it merely requires the Druid to spend quiet time in reflection on all life energy – refreshing her mind with the knowledge that all things that live produce “energy” and dedicating themselves to the path of respecting and potentially “channeling” that energy.

To all

A sorcerer is like a wizard – but instead of remembering the quasi-scientific means to draw out magical energy – they are actually born with a modest reserve of highly concentrated Arcane energy which flows through their bloodstream because their parents were beings that had a high concentration of magical energy. A man born of Dragon blood, for example – does not need to spend much time studying spellbooks like a wizard – indeed, he has none. He has a general understanding of the power in his blood – and the basic knowledge of how to tap this naturally occurring power – and manipulate it to reate effects which are at the least – spells like a wizard –and, in other cases, specific powers that are his own – birthed from his bloodline and his ancestors. Still – the sorcerer draws his power from the natural infusion of pure magical energy already in his blood – even as a wizard is forced to tap the same power that exists in the universe – by using quasi-scientific methods.

To Shae, Kae, and Ariarh

An alchemist is like a wizard – but spending more time in studying the basic properties of natural phenomenon and using these properties to their advantage. For example – everyone knows that if you were to take an opiate – it calms the body, dulls the senses and makes you somewhat dull to pain.

Yet an herbalist or someone versed in alchemical lore may also inform you that if you were to make a tea from the bark of a willow tree – this tea would have the exact same chemical used to cure headaches - Accurately – tea made from willow bark has the same chemical found in Aspirin, and is actually quite useful for dealing with headaches.

However – a Alchemist knows this – and takes things to the next level. Studying more powerful compounds, elixirs and mixtures to produce better quality potions and tonics. Even so – an alchemist derives their power from such sources as naturally occurring potions and elixers.

To all

Now – a priest, paladin, or inquisitor draws their power from the same source. A divine being “grants” them a reservoir of power that they are free to “tap into” and use to aid them in their day to day life. This power is as flexible as a Druid’s – but, like a Druid – such holy people are also bound by a code. A Druid is dedicated to preserving life in general – only seeking to destroy the life of a creature that deliberately disturbs the natural order of things – yet each person that draws their power from a divine being is bound by a code that is unique to that divine being.

So long as they maintain the code – and perform the rites, rituals, sacrifices, tithes, fasts, feasts – or what it is their divine being demands – they will not have issues.

To Isani, Clari, and Ariarh

An Orcale is like a holy person (Cleric, Paladin, etcetera) – but more akin to a sorcerer. An oracle is infused with power from a supernatural being, their own blood is touched with this power at a young age – an oracle is both “blessed” and “cursed” by the presence of a strong supernatural energy within them. This energy is so strong it can create great trouble for an Oracle – but, if an oracle learns how to tap this energy, and work WITH it, as opposed to fight against it – they can draw great power from it. Each day an Oracle must spend time to meditate and focus – keeping their power in check – and learning how to discipline it.

An oracle is not constrained by a code or rigid honor system – rather, they are more flexible then a typical religious person. Even so – they are more limited at the powers they can utilize.

To Shaezon and Ariarh

A “Summoner” – is similar to a wizard – they have learned the quasi-science of opening dimensional doors to other planes of existence – with greater ease, and greater frequency. However – their power source is drawn directly from the quasi-science of creating the right technique to open such doors and passages between their plane and another. Once that connection is made easily – they are able to draw forth a great amount of power in the form of allies that they call forth to help them in a time of need.

Even so – a Summoner draws his power from an external source – uses that power – but does not specifically have a power source on his own internally (as a Sorcerer would) – he merely accesses power from another plane and petitions that power for help.

To Ariarh, Kae

A monk is like Summoner or Wizard – they are able to tap into the natural energy of the universe. Not Arcane energy – and not the energy of the gods. Instead, a Monk is able to discipline his body and mind – merging the two aspects of his being into a natural conduit to allow the energy within all living creatures to pass through him with great ease.

Even as a creature has energy that a Druid can tap – the energy within an individual creature is – typically – so random and sporadic – that one living creature can make no use of it, and using one individual creature to take energy from it – is generally a waste of time – unless you are prepared to kill the creature outright in a specific ritual to “steal” the full collection of that life essence.

A monk does not do this – rather, they merely find the chaotic threads of random energy within their body – they harness these natural strings of random energy that pulse and throb inside them – they take this now harnessed energy – energy harnessed from long discipline and focus each day – and then utilize that energy in a powerful way – expelling it from their body in a concentrated – but highly controlled – method. This energy can give them great powers – the ability to hit harder, jump higher, and move faster; for example.

But the energy reserves in their body wane through the day – and, until they rest and awaken with a new reserve to harness – they will be without that power. In the morning, after a good rest – their body generates more of this internal energy – again; with focus, discipline – concentration and determination – a monk can channel this energy of the body into a direct attack or action.

To Shae, Isani and Ariarh

A witch is the enigma. A witch does not draw their power from living things – as a Druid – nor does a witch tap from the reservoirs of Arcane energy that exist in the universe. A witch does not need to tap their power from the gods – or any divine being – nor devote time to studying spellbooks.

Shaezon is close to his mark – a witch is like a combination of a Arcane Caster and Divine Caster – but only inasmuch that a witch draws their power from what is called a “Patron” – like a priest would.

However – they augment their power source through unusual acts – again, as a priest might – or a alchemist.

The “Patron” is the rub. A Patron for a witch is not a god – or pure magical energy – or an ally from another plane – or extremely powerful herblore. Rather – a patron is an extremely powerful being – one that has no specific personality, that is – no avatar – or natural form to communicate with the witch. The witch will pay homage to the patron – as a Druid would to the spirits of life and nature – but the witch does not pay homage do any but their own patron.

If the witch’s patron is the Moon, or the Stars, Ancestors, the Occult in general, Curses, Plagues, or what have you – the witch will pay homage to it – offering sacrifice and a crude version of tithing to it – for witches can create powerful potions, even as an alchemist – but a witch does not use herbs – rather, a witch uses flesh. A witch can create a brew in their cauldron made from the flesh of once living creatures – stews made of man – or baking living creatures in an oven; this stews or bread can be devoured later, like a potion – but the power is taken from the flesh of the living.

Regarding the essence of the power – it comes from the patron. And a witch is attuned to this power. The power demands specific rites and sacrifices to it to indulge the power of witch. As such, a witch is better equipped then others to discover the nature of what make the best sacrifice. Purity and youth are especially good for such things, and a witch is specifically qualified to draw extra potency from the sacrifice of children – indeed; such stews made of the flesh of young creatures, be it human children, puppies, kittens or even goblin babies – is extremely necessary for the potency of the spell. Therefore a witch has the ability to smell children – to sniff out the young specifically – like the ability “Scent” – only attuned to children.

Can a witch be good?

A complex question – it would be like asking “Can a Summoner who calls out a demon to save a town from marauding Frost Giants be considered good? For he is using a demon to fight his battles, and this is not a good thing.”

A witch is similar – she pays homage, not to gods or divine beings – but some raw elemental force – yet not the forces of life that the earth radiates – as a Druid would – but rather, some more pagan and generally less codified. Doing incantations and prayers to specific patrons – if those patrons are Plagues or the Moon – or perhaps even something more generally excepted – choosing the essence of Animals, Light or Wisdom – such a witch can draw unusual powers – and those powers and abilities may even be used for good. But it is no sure guarantee.

A witch is not bound by laws or codes like a Paladin or Priest – they are not bound by the principles of preserving life – like a Druid – they are not bound by the codes and study of magic – like a Arcane caster – they are rather bound by a subtle and often deliberately vague code that revolves around their patron – whatever this force is. And as such – they are not bound to maintain a specific loyalty to that patron – and, even if they were – a third party could not tell if a witch was staying true to the ideal – or not, as it was never fully established.

Finally – it is very difficult to believe that a being can be considered “good” if one of their primary means of magical strengths comes from stews and pastries made of the flesh of children – no matter what race the child may be. Perhaps this is acceptable to some – like eating veal, for example – yet, others may not be as forgiving. Even so – a witch may not decide to use these powers – but that would certainly halt their full potential.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Not all witches make kids in to delicious delicious pastries. ;-)


Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Not all witches make kids in to delicious delicious pastries. ;-)

Cook People (Su): The witch can create fabulous spells by cooking an intelligent humanoid creature in her cauldron, either alive or dead. Using this hex creates one meal or serving of food of the witch’s choice, typically a delicious stew or a dough suitable for cookies, pastries, or other desserts. Cooking the victim takes 1 hour. Eating the food provides one of the following benefits for 1 hour: age resistance [UM], bear’s endurance, bull’s strength, cat’s grace, eagle’s splendor, fox’s cunning, neutralize poison (instantaneous), owl’s wisdom, remove disease (instantaneous). Alternatively, the witch can shape the dough into a Small, humanlike creature, animating it as a homunculus for 1 hour. The witch must have the cauldron hex to select this hex. Using this hex or knowingly eating its food is an evil act. Source: Ultimate Magic

True - but it is certainly one of their powers/abilities - they don't have to use it, but it is part of their powers/abilities...


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Dain GM wrote:
Shaezon Silverfall wrote:
Not all witches make kids in to delicious delicious pastries. ;-)

Cook People (Su): The witch can create fabulous spells by cooking an intelligent humanoid creature in her cauldron, either alive or dead. Using this hex creates one meal or serving of food of the witch’s choice, typically a delicious stew or a dough suitable for cookies, pastries, or other desserts. Cooking the victim takes 1 hour. Eating the food provides one of the following benefits for 1 hour: age resistance [UM], bear’s endurance, bull’s strength, cat’s grace, eagle’s splendor, fox’s cunning, neutralize poison (instantaneous), owl’s wisdom, remove disease (instantaneous). Alternatively, the witch can shape the dough into a Small, humanlike creature, animating it as a homunculus for 1 hour. The witch must have the cauldron hex to select this hex. Using this hex or knowingly eating its food is an evil act. Source: Ultimate Magic

True - but it is certainly one of their powers/abilities - they don't have to use it, but it is part of their powers/abilities...

I'm familiar. It's an optional hex that they can choose, but don't have to. Just as a cleric can choose to channel negative energy, but they don't have to.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Elvish:"Clari, sit down. Please, peace." he looks at her imploring, and she does sit, and averting her gaze from Anuk-su.

He then continues to the council, "Robert is correct. It is likely that there is a water guardian, so what preparations can we take to counter one? Shaezon, do you have any magic that could perhaps let us avoid sailing across this river, or somehow prevent the beast from getting to us? Otherwise we must somehow prepare to face such a creature in its own element if we cannot lure it into a more favorable location. Unless there is some sort of magic available to us that would allow us to face it on equal terms."

"Then there is the matter of the caster. We should attempt to find a way to counter a witch's likely magical assaults and charms, perhaps we can find some with the power to provide us with wards against that attack? what magics would we need and who could we ask?"

k Arcana to figure out where to get wards against curses and enchantments
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Having listened to the Deputy Mayor speak of water guardians created by the enemy and having watched his woman's public display of affection and finding it strange and inappropriate in a formal assembly, she merely nods her head a few times. "I am new to this vivid, green land and there are many strange things here that I have not encountered in Osirion. If you say it could be a water guardian and we must prepare, then I shall heed your word. I saw no such creature as we crossed the river but as you say it may have swum elsewhere in search of food. The Southern spellcasters we have engaged have a deep knowledge of fire spells, so creating a water guardian seems unusual, yet if they want to remain on this island and be ensconced securely, then such a creature would be useful manning the water surrounding the island."


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

She motions for her young ward to draw near, "Come by my side, Anuk-su. I do not believe Clari meant any disrespect by her tone and reprimand. It seems to be her way," giving the elven female a pointed look even though Kae had dealt with her promptly. "We must keep level heads and get these preparations finalised. We only have to sunset and some of us even less as I need to meet with Lord Esserian soon."

Then as she gently strokes the young girl's long silver hair in a comforting manner, she looks from Kae, Aliento to Shaezon,

"What if we destroy the witch's patron? Would this not render her powerless? I realise the patron would have to be something powerful, yet it could be done?"


Female Changeling - Osirion Cleric 4/Oracle 3

Hearing the question posed to the wizard by General Ka'etil, she intervenes, "Could we not summon Water Elementals to deal with the Water Guardian? Between myself, our Lady Druid leader, the wizard and the Foreign Ambassador, I am sure we can summon enough elemental might to take on one water guardian."


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Has anyone discussed exactly what the guardian beast is? I may have missed that. Is it elemental or creature?

"I have some magical options available. Invisibility, levitation, we could glide in from the air, i could give a few of us a natural swim speed for a time, etc. However I would only be able to do this for a small number, perhaps two or three. I believe Isani's idea for summoning elementals is the best, however I'd like to add to it a bit. The foreign ambassador can summon many elementals for an extended period of time. Other than outright combating the monster we have options, but as always the devil is in the details so to speak. Depending on how wide an area we have to cross and the exact abilities of the guardian we could have air elementals carry us across without getting near the water. Alternately if it is a far distance or we have several people to bring across we could use water elementals to push a small boat across the water at great speed. It's a risk of course, but combat always is."


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

"Regarding the patron they are often amorphous concepts, such as fear or the color blue, as often as actual beings. Finding it may prove as difficult as fighting it, if not more. "

7,901 to 7,950 of 10,695 << first < prev | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dain's King Maker Chronicles All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.