Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Dain's King Maker Chronicles

Game Master dain120475

Introduction

This is the Kingmaker Campaign, yet it is filled with many deviations from the boxed set. The "Campaign Information" page is meant as a quick resource to help sum up the thousands of posts quickly.


5,301 to 5,350 of 10,645 << first < prev | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | next > last >>

Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

"If the way up is all blocked off, then they likely shouldn't be able to get in, we may want to further, although it could make a good access point for us to move in, as long as we post guards there to fend off any that attack. They don't seem to care for fire much, so we can supply the guards with oil and torches, while we move down the path to eradicate the abominations. We best bring along some like Patty and Sylvath, those who can wield the light against undead things."

Then pausing, recalling something he'd meant to say, he adds,"Oh, and looking at supplies, it seems that we don't have quite the resources to complete all the projects you suggested, Alaric, but we have the gold to buy more, if we cut into the funds we found when we defeated the Stag Lord."

After the meeting, Ka'etil gets Alaric's attention, and asks not super privately, I just toss up the spoiler cause it's directed to him
[spoiler=Alaric]
"Those boots you made yourself were impressive. I wanted to ask if you would be able to make me a pair, one that would quicken my stride, put a little spring in my step, id you catch my meaning, once we are able to trade some, and you can get supplies to make them?" asking for Boots of Striding and Springing once dain says he can make them.

Alaric is free to craft such boots - provided he has the cash, time and feats/abilities to do so.

However, you bad mama-jama's just dropped down into "real time" so the odds that it gets created any time soon will be slightly more slim. You can do it, but for a while you'll have your hands full, no doubt, with something wicked comming this way!


"Well, that be good and fine... but what say we give it a look over - ye know, the way down that passage may be worth looking at fer good er ill. Also, while we be at it; ye got any plans on what to do with the swamp particular? If it be a few ghoul gaurds put there to be warding off folk from sneaking into the fortress up here - that be one thing. But, and this is scary but, as it were, what if them be the tip o' the dragon's tail, as it were? What if there be more and more, and somwhere down there in that mess be a tunnel o' nasty creatures ready to be busting up and out at us?"

Brett takes another gulp of the mead.

"I guess that last point be the real question, eh? Only way to be knowing that though is to be exploring it right and true."


Male Human Cavalier 3

Sir Bronwyn walks in, wearing simple rough pants and a soaked-through linen cloth. His body is marked with dirt in several places, owning to the long hours he's been spending fixing up the stables and helping of construction efforts.

"Well, my friends, it's been a long winter, and my blade has been oiled and sharpened for a moment such as this. These evils could come and haunt us anytime, and we can't let our people suffer from our inaction. Let us explore what needs to be explored and lay these dangers to rest. It's been quite a while."


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

"Aye, count me in. But if we are going in after these ghouls, we should go in with a plan of action, don't you think gentlemen? Their bites are not something I want to experience nor do I want to become a lovely meal for them. Oh, and they're fast swimmers, for those who don't know." Ry moves back and leans against the wall after saying her piece. There would be more conversation generated, that she was sure.


Male Human Cavalier 3

"So you mean I shouldn't bring my full plate armor?", Bronwyn asks, his wide smile quickly showing he already knows the answer to his question.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Ry turns her attention to Bronwyn after his witty remark and cannot help but reply in kind,

"Sir Bronwyn, I must admit you do look particularly dashing in full armor." Ry winks at Bron, knowing full well he had been teasing her with his previous question.


Male Human Cavalier 3

Although everyone was bound to the walls of the fortress for the winter, Bronwyn had been a bit distant from the others, always working hard or training with the kobolds.

But anyone can see now the winter has been good for the knight. His body is stronger and healthier, and although he has fresh new cuts and bruises from the training and the work, he seems to have recovered from the ordeals suffered in his lord's dungeons. He sports a healthy tan instead of the sickly white he bore when he came to the Stolen Lands, and good feeding and constant work restored his wiry frame to a fit, larger one.

More importantly, he seems more upright, as if a great burden had been relieved from his shoulders. When he gazes in the distance he does so with purpose and keen senses, not haunted by the ghosts of his past.


Sir Bronwyn wrote:
"So you mean I shouldn't bring my full plate armor?", Bronwyn asks, his wide smile quickly showing he already knows the answer to his question.

"Hard saying..." Brett retorts, though seriously.

"Ye be a good target, lad, and they be folk that be not liking ye... Undead, too, if not mistaken. If ye stand in the water, why - it be hard fer ye to move about, I'll grant ye - but equal hard fer them to be hitting ye, if ye in plate. So, fer example, if ye stand about and they run up on ye, why... then what? Well, ye just let 'em wear on ye while we move about 'em and hit from all sides. 'Course, that be making ye bait, as it were, but in the end? Well... In the end ye be stronger and tougher then most o' our lot put together in that iron suit ye got. Not saying it be easy, but I doubt even a spook's bite be hacking through yer armor... Ye be safe a bug in a rug... and while they be wearing their teeth out on yer metal... Well, ye be the bait - rough, but ye be tough enough, I suspect..." Brett says with kind of a lame shrug.

He pours another drink, then offers it to you.

"Don't worry, mate, it be just water with a bit o' crushed mint in it fer flavor - I know them kobolds hold ye to their fasting o' strong drink and such... so no worries on that temptation frem me. But ye look like ye need a drink to wash the muck from yer throat," he adds.

"See... the trick o' it is..." Brett says, clinking some crushed ice in the mug back and forth "ye press the leaves of mint plant against the ice; bruise it, as were - that be releasing the... er, how did the herbalist call it? Ah hell, blessed if I know... the minty flavor be released into the drink, eh?"


Male Human Cavalier 3

"Well, milady Kane, I have witnessed a few maids who could tell you quite the opposite. These last days I can't seem to get a pail of water without getting some stares. I swear sometimes I'd rather face another band of bandits than the collected maids at the kitchen."

For those who don't know, Bronwyn looks a lot like this guy.


Male Human Cavalier 3

"Thank you, Brett. I just wonder if that ghoul city can exist underwater. I mean, as far as I know, undead do not need to breathe, and they have left most of their worldly worries behind. In that scenario, heavier kinds of armor would not only prove to be a nuissance, but downright a sure way to die. The same if I was forced underwater."

The knight sips the drink, looking out while thinking.

"I shall carry my spare breastplate in case the grounds prove treacherous or our mission demands a wider range of motion. I just ask that you be patient, because if I am to switch armor, it will rightly take around ten minutes until I can remove the full plate and buckle all the straps on the breastplate. Also, a small help undoing my back straps, those I can't reach by myself."


Sir Bronwyn wrote:

"Thank you, Brett. I just wonder if that ghoul city can exist underwater. I mean, as far as I know, undead do not need to breathe, and they have left most of their worldly worries behind. In that scenario, heavier kinds of armor would not only prove to be a nuissance, but downright a sure way to die. The same if I was forced underwater."

The knight sips the drink, looking out while thinking.

"I shall carry my spare breastplate in case the grounds prove treacherous or our mission demands a wider range of motion. I just ask that you be patient, because if I am to switch armor, it will rightly take around ten minutes until I can remove the full plate and buckle all the straps on the breastplate. Also, a small help undoing my back straps, those I can't reach by myself."

"Nay worries, lad, it weren't nothing but a suggestion is all... But be watching yer step around maids and such. As I be understand it, Sylvath and his mates be wanting ye to be abstaining from any wordly distraction that moves yer mind from the true purpose o' obtaining the purer enlightenment o' finding yerself one with the bloody universe... or something like that. No doubt ye all got the information on that sort o' thing though..."

And of course, you don't have that information, yet. But I will write it up and post it tommorow. Unlike most of my postings which are rather light, breezy and somewhat short; this particular post is a bit more lengthy as well as deeper. Look for it soon, sometime tomorrow afternoon. I want to have it up, but I also want to do it justice, and it is rather late for me...


Male Human Cavalier 3

"And that's precisely why I'd rather face a fearsome band of bandits, bent on evil-doing and baby-eating. At least that way I could have a fair fight."


Sir Bronwyn wrote:
"And that's precisely why I'd rather have a fearsome band of bandits, bent on evil-doing and baby-eating. At least that way I could have a fair fight."

"Prefer the bandits to what? Wait, ye be talking on the foul, hideous shrieks and cries from the ghouls that be seeing ye? Or the foul hideous shrieks and cries from the maids that be seeing ye?" Brett adds with a wry grin, wincing somewhat on the hint or suggestion of an actual ghoul city... Never mind the terrible evil they may have in such a place; the cooking would be attrocious!


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Sir Bronwyn wrote:

"Well, milady Kane, I have witnessed a few maids who could tell you quite the opposite. These last days I can't seem to get a pail of water without getting some stares. I swear sometimes I'd rather face another band of bandits than the collected maids at the kitchen."

For those who don't know, Bronwyn looks a lot like this guy.

"Your long hours of arduous training with the metallic kobolds is certainly producing results, Sir. I am proud of your dedication and I do not blame those maids for openly staring." Ariarh smiles appreciatively at Sir Bronwyn Winter.

Thanks for the visual. Approves. :)


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Mentioned Kae wanting to train ans spar with Bronwyn as both were studying the Draconic War Manual

As Sir Bronwyn enters, Ka'etil grins, glad to see his sparring partner. It's been good to see him change from the somewhat sickly sallow sinewy squire that he was to the much healthier fellow he is now. Training had been hard, and the harsh climate made it even harder, but it served the men well. Kae was particularly glad of his heightened toughness. Bronwyn hit hard, especially after having mastered the techniques in the books.

Kae smirked Brett's comments about the Kobolds. Poor Bronwyn was the one sworn off "distractions of the flesh", and not Kae who never had much temptation anyway. He doesn't much care for drink, and perhaps due to rumors of his darker nature, or having a face even fairer than most of them, the maids Bronwyn had to deal with left the half-elf alone in that regard.

"Glad to have you, Bronwyn, are you through working today? What strategy do you think we should pursue in dealing with these foul "baby-eaters"? We could approach through the swamp, as we have before, or we could see if we can enter through the blocked passages in the fortress, guarding the entrances, while we assess and address the threat." kae suggests. "Unless you can think of some other approach that hasn't occurred to us yet."

"I would wager that you could also convince Sylvath to accompany us, as warriors of light are the bane of undead denizens of the darkness." Then to Ariarh, "And perhaps it would be prudent to purchase Patty's time once again."

"Any other possible plans?"


Male

Can be read by everyone. Just putting it under a spoiler for sake of ease.

Griffon:

Over the past six months, Dior has gradually started to grow.

Now, the party can see he has physically changed. He has grown from the size of a kitten to almost the size of a golden retriever (a “small" creature). Brett mentions this to Ry and Dior, and though Dior may not know that is the name of a type of dog, he seems to think “Golden Retriever” sounds like a very poetic description of himself (Brett makes reference to Dior being "slightly vain"). Ariarh has also taught him a third language, Sylvan. He still can't speak, but he understands the three languages perfectly.

So, here are Dior's new stats:

Small magical beast
Init +2;
Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +12

DEFENSE
AC 15, touch 11, flat-footed 16 (+2 Dex, +2 natural, +1 size)
HP 25 (2d10+5) 10+5, taking average 5.5 + 5 = 10.5 + 15 = 25.5 (next “boost” he’ll get other .5)
Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +4

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft., fly 80 ft. (average)
Melee bite +5 to hit (1d4+3),
2 talons +4 to hit (1d4+2)
Space: five feet.
Special Attacks pounce, rake (2 claws +4, 1d4+2)

STATISTICS
Str 14, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 5, Wis 13, Cha 8
BAB: +2;
CMB +4;
CMD 9 (15 vs. trip)
Feats Iron Will, Skill Focus (Perception), Weapon Focus (bite)
Skills Acrobatics +8, Fly +7, Perception +12; Racial Modifiers +4 Acrobatics, +4 Perception
Languages Common (cannot speak), Celestial, Sylvan


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:


"I would wager that you could also convince Sylvath to accompany us, as warriors of light are the bane of undead denizens of the darkness." Then to Ariarh, "And perhaps it would be prudent to purchase Patty's time once again."

"Any other possible plans?"

Ry nods. "I shall speak with Mistress Patty regarding her services as soon as this meeting is convened. Since Billy Banks came through with his oil in the last encounter, perhaps we should prepare a number of flasks filled with lamp oil? I can memorise spark in my dawn meditations and can assist Patty in setting the oil to burn when the time comes."

To Bronwyn:

"We believe the ghouls we encountered in the swamp are more likely Lacedons, and, my theory is they were once people aboard the wrecked shipping vessels currently bogged in the swamp. It's the feeling of dread and danger we experience when we get too close to those broken-down ships. From what Brett, Kae and I witnessed today, Lacedons seem to be as quick and agile in water as they are on land."

To All: "And there is a bit of water collected down in the swamp, and who knows how much in that sealed tunnel. Try not to be forced beneath water by these creatures, especially if wearing full plate armor."


Alaric smiles as Bronwyn enters. The progress his adopted brother has shown over the past months has been extraordinary and Alaric could not be more proud of him.

Returning to the topic at hand Alaric adds If these creatures are susceptible to fire then I had better come as well. The fiery breath spell could be useful and we should have every advantage we can when we face these creatures. Perhaps Selendria might have or be willing to brew a potion such that we could breath under water. That would help to negate a large method of their attacks.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

This post is mainly for Bronwyn; it is both lengthy and detailed - as well as being retconned from what happened during the winter to him. Apologies to any for both length, details and retcon. You are all free to read it, for it will no doubt give you insight on the kobolds and their actions and motivations. Even though they worked with Bronwyn all winter, you still saw them and interacted with them from time to time. Therefore, you would have at least learned enough of their personalities that reading this post would be on par with character knowledge.

Bronwyn, sorry this post took so long in coming. No doubt, when you read it, you’ll know why it took so long; had a bit of writing to do. I hope you enjoy reading it, though, and feel free to ask any questions as follow-up. Sorry, also, to you all, that I have not done more writing today. I really wanted to write this, because I really believed in the story, and I haven't done much on the board besides writing this today. I will be posting up soon...

Winter with the Kobolds

You have committed yourself to the training under Sylvath. He has accepted your oath, and now begins the process of training you; molding you to their purposes, and that purpose seems to be that of making you into a proper warrior. More then that, though, you hope that one day they will make you into a true knight of their order.

For weeks Sylvath has put you under the care of Glaidus and Ryul. Under his command you have been separated for your own people and forced to live somewhat north with them. Specifically, you have been taken north to the ruins of the temple that had been profaned with the vile experiments below. There, you have been forced to harden your body from the elements. Each day Glaidus and Ryul have you assist them with the heavy labor of cleaning the ruins.

Above the ground, with little to aid you, are broken rocks and debris which you have been forced to move away from the floor of the ruined temple. It is hard work, and heavy labor. Many times you wished for the aid of a cart, or pack animal, or magic to assist you in the task. But you have been given none of these things, and it has become clear to you that you will receive none of these things in any case.

Not until the first week of working is this made clear to you, and though you might have asked sooner, you have been ordered to take a Vow of Silence while you work. You do not speak, you merely listen and obey.

After that week you sit down by the fire; your body chilled and cold, but unable to speak, because of your vow. Your meal is lean, and you have nothing but cold water to drink from – even though you have warmed it, it does little to cheer your spirits.

On this night Ryul speaks to you, for he and Glaidus still remain by your side, during the preliminary stages of your development.

”It is a difficult thing what you have begun, I know this to be true,” he says with a nod.

”All my brethren have been forced to do so, though, but fear not, it is a difficulty that will make you better. And though we have all studied this path, I should say that the final steps to true mastery of our art have only been completed by one among us now – Sylvath. In our time, ancient to you - there were many that passed the tests of ascendency – and not all had the Fortitude to survive to become a master. Sylvath has, and he was no mean student, yet I caution you – he is not as advanced as our ancient masters were in this study. He knows it; I feel he fears that he has much to live up to, for the entire history and culture of our civilization rests on his shoulders alone, and the ability to pass on what he studied. He’ll be the harder on you for it, I think. He’ll push you harder then his master may have pushed him, because if he cannot pass on what he knows; if he fails to teach another our ways and customs, then our entire essence as a people has failed utterly. Therefore, I ask you to be forgiving of his zeal. He has placed upon himself a heavy burden, yet if not he – then who?”

Glaidus tears a greasy chunk of elk meat from a bone, then snaps the bone, sucking the marrow, looking up at you. He sees your hungry look, then smiles a little knowingly, sucks the last bits of the marrow and tosses the bone into the fire.

”Look at his face,” he says with a rough grin to Ryul ”bet he’s asking himself why he got into this, and what be the point of all these orders and so on.”

”For such a question Sylvath would no doubt beat him and expel him, and rightly so, for breaking such a simple vow as silence. But as you have asked it, I shall answer you. Let him therefore hear it, and know better our purposes.”

Turning back to you, yet still speaking to Glaidus, Ryul begins.

”The first test is clear on you; it is obedience. This is something you must learn; whether it be to a higher cause, a greater purposes, or profound destiny. Whatever your calling is, when it is revealed to you, you must be ready to embrace it properly, and without question. For now, you have been sworn to several things. Naturally, the first is to obey. But that is easy, if the purpose is clear. If you are told; ”Obey, for my will is law, and my law is just” you are nothing if you obey that command. For what honest creature would not? But if I said rather ”Obey, for my purpose is hidden, and my meaning uncertain to you, and my will may seem unfair” and you disobey? Then chaos must ensue, for not all rulers have the time to fully divulge to each of their subjects on each moment the wisdom of their policies. Moreover, even an action that, to a subject, may seem unwise may yet hold some secret advantage that the lord cannot share for safeties sake. Without the oath that binds you to your lord, then you are merely a mercenary, or a private person seeking grand adventures. Lowly, and not worth much, I’d warrant, yet not necessarily contemptible. Yet our folk seek more then that; we seek a follower who knows his lord is good and just, and, knowing this, gives his word to follow. Yet, having done so, his word has bound him to the oath. He cannot turn from the course if he finds the matter distasteful or confusing. To do such a thing is a being without honor, and completely unacceptable.”

”Aye! But best explain the reasons that he be hauling rocks and abstaining from good food or drink, or women or speaking, even,” Glaidus interrupts with a belch.

”A fair question, but surely it is plain? If he cannot obey such simple commands as: ”be silent, be productive, do not let thy body be consumed with carnal needs” then how can he able to obey a real order? If his lord says Strike! what shall he say ”Nay, lord, it becomes me not; rather, if thy will, I shall bandy words with thee on the matter, and, as it were, discover the need to smite the enemy hithero. And, if thy may yet illuminate me better, giving me, perchance, the reason for thy desire, then perhaps with thy fair discourse I shall yet be persuaded to act as thy would. But as thy have not yet presented, to my satisfaction, a need to obey thee in this matter, I will do, rather, nothing. Instead, I shall merely declaim on the merits of inaction by my very deeds.”

Glaidus laughed at the speech, and pulled up another flank of elk meat and chomped lustily on it.

”You said it fair and true, brother. A lad who cannot obey his lord can ruin a fine plan when the moment comes, trying to second-guess the real meaning behind it.”

Glaidus grins a bit, then ponders this point a bit longer, something clearly on his mind, then offers a question.

”I agree with what was said, but think on this; what if he offers his vow and the lord orders him to do something of true evil, and there’s no good sense to it, even as he sees it?”

Ryul thinks for a moment, then shrugs.

”You do touch a sore spot. Firstly, a vow is sacred; it binds us with forces beyond our reckoning. Therefore, it would better to be sure before offering such a vow. A man cannot make a vow then turn his back on it, for then he would be undone! Therefore, he must be cautious, observant, clever, studious, wise, and intelligent. He must be all of these things – for to give a vow lightly is bad and dangerous, and breaking it is far worse. If he were to break the vow – he has lied to his lord, to himself, and the gods. He must not say to a lord ”I shall serve thee! if he does not know the lord rightly, any more then he shall say to a female ”I shall take thee as wife! if he means to turn his back on her should she become not to his taste. All folk age, and change, from lords to mates; it would be better if a person recalled this, before they vowed to be with another for life – rather then simply commit because of a whim, then be bound to that.”

”Why shouldn’t he be free to break his oath, if the lord be unjust? I say, if the lord be revealed foul – then he be absolved from it. He gave his oath to the wrong man, as it were; he gave it to the good man, who is no longer there, and replaced by a monster, perhaps?”

’Nay, your argument is moot. All men change, and many beasts as well – one day his lord may be fair, the next day cruel – he cannot put aside his vow simply because it is no longer to his taste. That is shameful!”

”So if his lord orders him to do an evil thing – say, kill an innocent?”

Ryul passes his hand over his face, in frustration.

”He must either trust there is sound reason; or he should have been more mindful of giving a vow to a person who changes so easily.”

”All that aside, but where does that leave him?”

”I am no priest, if Tiam lived I would say to ask him. But he does not. I would surmise that a man must stay true to his vow, though he likes it not; be it to do great harm to one he feels innocent, or even such a small, yet distastefull thing as to stand watch on a rainy night. But if the man were not pleased in the vow he took to obey a liege lord, he would be the wiser to set in place such caveat from the beginning. He would be wise to say “Lord, I have a code I must obey – if thy hearken to it, I shall, in all things, obey thee; yet I cannot obey thee in such and such a task… “ and then so name the task. If the lord will still have him, well and good. Yet he cannot dictate contract after it has been agreed on.”

”Ha!” Glaidus said with a laugh, slapping his friend on the shoulder.

”No doubt you speak the truth; if he had thought it long and hard, he may have told our lord Sir Sylvath; Lord, in all things I shall obey thy will – excepting, of course the matters of manual labor and difficult work in foul weather,” Gladius continues, somewhat warmed by continued gulps of the mead.

”Indeed, yes. Yet there is value, though, to all parts of the testing, even the manual labor,” Ryul responds, lifting his own mug and drinking from it for a moment.

”A normal man will no doubt see these tests and observe that it keeps him lean, trim, and hard from exposure to the elements and to the rigors of good, simple outdoor work. A strong back, trim body, and enduring muscles; merits in themselves, to be sure; but not the true purpose of this part of the test. No doubt, though, he guesses this, and has learned the real reason somewhat, even as he sits by watching us in silence. In truth, we should all remember the value of hard work, and also, it does not hurt him to do such menial labor,” Ryul adds, a sigh from his lips and a somewhat downcast look on his features.

”What troubles you, brother? Glaidus said, a look on his features, seeing his friends sorrow. ”Do you think of Tiam?”

”I do. He was more then a worthy priest, but a good friend and true brother as you know. I remember once that he told me of the value of menial labor to a priest. I had often wondered why some temples were so resplendent and well made, yet it was the priests themselves, not the people who curried favor or would seek a boon from the holy ones that did the work. I asked him on it, once,” Ryul mused.

”What did he say on that account? For you hit aright, I do recall priests laboring in their temples, but I never gave it much thought on why this was.”

Ryul smiled somewhat.

”Tiam suggested that in small labor we are divorced from the mechanism of civilization somewhat; servants and magic – they are all well and good, but if a person would spend time in little tasks; scrubbing floors, dusting curtains, emptying refuse, and so on… Then they would begin to become, by their very proximity, attached to the necessities of life in a tangible way.”

”What do you mean?” Glaidus adds, continuing to munch.

”I would rather Adjt spoke on this matter, for he no doubt understand it better; but, as I see it, when you make things happen with your hands, not a tool or servant or magic, you feel a unique connection to all things. By tilling the fields, and sewing the seeds, and pulling forth the crops a person may yet say ”See here, what I have done? I have made this – I hold, therefore, in my hand a thing unique, for I have poured my heart into it, and you do not hold a thing, but you hold rather, a piece of my heart in what I have made.”

”I’ll see that, maybe; if you fashion a sword, or a child, or something special. But tossing out slops or cleaning a chamber pot? Where is the honor in that?” Glaidus queries with a frown.

”A fair statement, and I asked it as well. But Tiam said that was the true point – any person may find pride in great works. That is easy, for a person has pride in any work he adds a piece of his heart to – and it is likely that any person will give part of himself into the task of forging a sword, or fashioning a temple, and so forth – but a true master seeks to add his heart into all things, even as much as cleaning a chamber pot. If, then, you are able to add a piece of your heart into something so small, so pitiful, so nearly meaningless… Then you have given birth to great works every day and all manner of special things in each action you do. Indeed; there is nothing a person cannot do, if they empty their heart into a task and give any such task a true piece of their essence. If the person has a great heart, then no doubt all of things around him, to forging of a weapon, to the building of a temple, or family, or indeed – a nation – yes, and even the cleaning of a chamber pot… these things will be filled with the essence of a great heart.”

Rual adds this last with look at Glaidus, who nods in assent.

Then, the two of them become comfortable and sleep, leaving you to shiver and digest both your thin gruel and the message of their words.

One month later…

In time, you have been released from your vow of silence, so that you may ask questions; not to cast doubt, but to learn better from what your teachers would show you.

Sylvath has taken you to a tall cliff, the very same tower that housed his companions in their centuries of sleep. You stare out the window in the cliff tower which faces the east and watch the rising sun. It is early, and you have breakfast ready. But he asks that you do not eat until after the sunrise.

As you put your food, as well as his aside you notice that he, unlike his companions, eats a leaner meal, and does not drink strong drinks. You too, have been sworn to this code for now, but you are not sure why. If his allies can do this, why not he? Is there something evil in eating fine foods and drinking fine drinks? What could be the cause?

Sylvath knows your question, and attempts to answer it. You observe he is a different type then his companions – more serious, more intent, more stern, and more… archaic in nature and speech, if that is the correct word for it?

But for now, he encourages you to sit quietly by him to watch the dawn. During this time he says nothing, simply staring to the east.

You do as well, and as he motions your gaze you watch the kaleidoscope of colors and rays flicker over the snow flecked fields until the sun has moved above the horizon. After that Sylvath then lets out a contented sigh and turns to you.

”Dost thou see, pupil, why therefore we must turn our back on fine drink and food?”

The tone of the question sounds rhetorical, yet you are puzzled at the connection to food and the sun.

Seeing your face, he nods, then begins the first lesson of the day.

”Thou, as was I, were moved by such a thing; the sight of the sun rising over the plains. We two are unto like children in that regard, for though the sun rising is to all beasts that walk this earth as the same, we have seen this sunrise as a child, for we saw it for the first time on the morn. It is already passed us by, and we marveled then, for it was like for us a first occasion. We observed, we saw what no man who lay in bed this morning has seen, nor shall any man living in the history of the world ever see again. We saw this sunrise… the magic of this alone is now gone. There will always be other sunrises, true – but in the end, there is only this sunrise that we espied, and we relish it for seeing it in its beauty.”

Sylvath turns somewhat to regard you better.

”As we age we hunger for greater things; this is our nature, for if we were satisfied with what life and the gods gave us, then we should never move to action on any such thing. Therefore, the gods gave us need to seek to better ourselves, each in our own way. To do this, we therefore seek further means of evidence to prove to ourselves that this goal is daily being accomplished.”

”Each day, therefore, we surround ourselves with such proofs – fine clothes, finer homes, greater cosmetics, brighter jewelry and richer food and drink. These are all proofs to ourselves that we have accomplished much good in our lives, for they are hard to have and rare to keep, and only successful folk - that is - folk who have accomlished many great and worth deeds - may possess these things.”

”But as we hunger for proof, soon, then it is the proof itself that we crave. And in our lust for more worthy evidence we lose sight of what is all around us. We do not see the finery of a piece of silver – for lo! It is not as valued as gold, though it may gleam just as bright. We do not enjoy a cold draught of fresh spring water, for it is not wine which is mulled from the right grape, and blended with the proper spices.”

”Oh, I know my brethren will suggest that I abstain from fine meals and drink, and in my youth the females of my kind, because such things were like vices unto me, but that is not true. Aye, rather it was, as I reckoned it, and was so taught, unhealthy and even dishonest to the gods to pursue such things in great need – but surely thou may see clearly why? It is therefore much more obvious to thee, as we see this sunrise together?” he persists, watching your face intently.

Sighing once at your confusion at this connection, he turns to the window.

”Consider the females of thy species. Now, the gods made females – and there is no harm to enjoying their beauty. If it were not meant as so, then why should they be made beautiful, or we find them beautiful? And yet to find the best female - the most beautfiul female..." he says, his voice trailing off for a moment "... As a male, thy would seek one, clearl, so that we may produce the best offspring, with the most desireable female - yet the act of completin wih such a beauty when many males compete for her attention. To succeed at this task is a difficult thing. Yes, indeed, it is a challenge to many males of any species. Therefore, to couple succesfully with a beautiful female is therefore proof of our own greatness as males, as some see it. To be great we need such proof, throughout our life, often daily. And we always seek evidence of greater deeds, always seeking more - the better female; the more lovely, the more fertile, the more affluent, and so on.”

”Yet, we must prove we are great and have accomplishd great things. Those should be good and noble things, but they are very often not. And often, as we seek to find evidence of our own greatness, we hunger ever for more and more proof – we taste the flesh so longingly, so desperately, that soon the gentle touch of lips on our brow is not enough; soon we are not pleased to simply enjoy the serenity that is bequeathed upon our spirit when we see that which we love dearly. Nay, in time, we must seek greater proof – for do we not desire to achieve great things? Is a mere touch of lips, having been tasted, enough to slake our need for evidence on our skill with females? Or a man, gifted with clothes, does he not wish for finer things, no matter how warm the boots, or soft the silk? Is a woman, never pleased with her features, always doing that which she can to maintain her proof that she is truly beautiful? Will each thing ever bring eternal satisfaction?”

”I think not.”

”In the end we seek great things; for the gods have given us each a need to improve our lives. Yet they surround us with lovely things to enjoy while we better ourselves. Yet, rather then enjoy the loveliness around us and content ourselves with greater and more noble deeds – we have erred. And many of us have chosen the reverse of such a worthy purpose. Rather, many seek to better ourselves simply by taking more proof that we have done great things. We do not crave good things, we merely crave proof. And the good things we enjoyed? We no longer relish. Rather; we use those things, we use them for evidence on our own splendor.”

”A woman is not enough; not one, not many. In time, her simple caress will not suffice; soon we must have more, we must take more, we must have more and more proof of our own vigor and skill, until we lose even the joy of the caress, until we are numb to the feel of the touch, and until we have all but forgotten the magic of a simple embrace – all for our need to prove that we have accomplished something great and mighty.”

”Therefore, some men will not be content with this sunrise, should they witness it; rather, such a man may, no must capture the dawn for his own - with a painting, perhaps, to show it in his home – the virtue of this thing and the proof of what he alone has seen. Yet soon the painting will lose its magic and he will be forced to make another thing; perhaps something larger, a mural to eclipse the painting and demonstrate his magnificence in taking the sun into his home. And in time that will lose its sparkle as well,” Sylvath continues, growing somewhat more impassioned and tense.

”In time, he must take more and more proof. He will take more paintings, and commission great works to prove he has the very dawn itself in his keeping; statues, murals, mosaics, even monuments shall testify on his behalf. But they shall never be enough... In time, he will grow jealous of others who would have greater works then he on this matter; and seek to blot them out, for it angers him that his proof is not the largest, and that he has not proven his skill or unique ability to have seen the sunrise that day. Then, in the end, he will love neither the sun, nor the memory; rather, the lust to prove his value shall ever gnaw him, consuming him with the needs of what he may yet claim as more evidence of his worth and proof of his greatness, forgetting the reason he fell in love, and always eager for more and more. He will forget the beauty, forget the gentle touch; want only evidence of his skill, though it may hurt his true love, and continue until she, or food clothes and so on… is forgotten.”

Sylvath lets out a long sigh, then turns and looks at you.

”So you see, my pupil – there is nothing wrong with fine clothes and meats and so forth – Lo! Fine clothes are gentle to the touch and sparkle in the eye and a good meal tastes fine and fills your empy belly. Therefore, why should we not enjoy such things, even love such things? The gods made them of a purpose; food to sup upon and fine clothes to garb ourselves well with – what harm is there in such things? None, of course; yet we must always temper ourselves against the need to gather greater proofs of how splendid we have become. A fine tunic feels good on the skin; yet to prove our worth shall we commission a hundred of them? A fine table is well enjoyed, yet should we encourage the decadence of feasting and gorging on the foods? Nay, it is not enjoying pleasure, but the desire to use pleasure as proof of our own greatness, evidence of our own magnificence – it is the lusting for these proofs in which we find the tragedies.”

”At the first, we seek proof of our virtuosity in such theater as a means to an end. We soon become so consumed with the need for these things that a person will, in time, do great evil, and therefore anger the gods. But at the very least, a man who sups on strong drink will one day forget the modest refreshment water has brought him, ever seeking stronger drink. And a person who seeks to glorify his own name with proof that he alone has seen the sun rise today, will one day forget the simple pleasure that a white sunrise over a sparkling field once brought him.”

Another month passes…

You have been brought to a high place and sit on the parapet of the stone fortress. There, under the night sky, you sit and listen to the teachings of Adjt, who is now instructing you of the names of the stars and their patterns in the sky; which you already know something of. Seeing your look, he informs you that he is here for more then that. He is here to teach you of natures of the stars, as well as their names.

Names, he said, are nothing. To teach a man to commit a thing to memory is not teaching, it simply telling him the answer to one question and forcing him to remember it. Further, such instruction is wasteful. For it is not enough to know what the answer is, for even a dog may learn such tricks. A great philosopher - and therefore a great warrior - must know why the answer is.

For Ajt has said that a man may yet be a fighter, or a man who merely recalls the text of great scholars. But for a man to be a true warrior, one of valor, honor and other great things, he must first be a person who is great in wisdom. Simply recalling information, Adjt adds, does not make a man wise, no matter how great the lore which the man is able to recall.

During his instruction you notice that his tone is somewhat less enthusiastic then his companions, unless he begins to speak of theories and concepts that seem more advanced then recounting ancient events or passing on some lost bit of knowledge. Instead, you see his energy begin to wax when begins to dabble from questioning you on whether you are able to recall important historical places and customs, and instead when he moves on to the more esoteric reasons and theories which have motivated such concepts.

”Indeed, yes – a man may remember many things. Dates, times, place and events. This is trivium, and of no concern. For if he forgets, he may simply consult his books of lore or speak with other learned men. Discovering what someone already has written is no great task. Though useful, in the end, a wise man must not stop with recalling mere facts and what the facts are. Rather, a wise man must know why the facts are so. Remember, it is less useful to know when or where a man has fought before. Rather, know why he has chosen to fight at these times and places; for in truth, if you know that answer you may take action that will prevent such a fight from occurring again.”

Adjt’s lessons are more advanced, and for all his discussions on the trivium of recalling information, he gives you much to remember. In the end, there is a great deal of things you have learned from him. Through is teaching you have learned much of what is so, but always, always is the need to remember the great question; why is it so?

The last month before Spring…

It is during this month that the silver kobolds have now moved together as one to train you in as a member of their company as a military man might be so trained. You are ordered to march with them, to spar with them, to travel the great snow covered plains with them. Such training is in keeping with most military instruction, and does not task you much, for your body has become hardened to such trials during the long winter. That they would teach you these drills is not overly surprising nor even too challenging, now; but they push you to other tasks, and those tasks are where the true tests loom.

Now you must learn to debate with them; to bring into the forefront of your mind the questions that plague you, and to see them answer these questions. You must learn to defend any stance you have taken, even if it is to agree with them. Obedience alone is not enough now; if they ask Why do you listen? you cannot say You have commanded me to. They wish to know why you obey the command, what the vow means to your heart, and why – in your very essence – your life is so moved.

Truly this is the most challenging part of your training.

It is not merely physical exercise or studying tactics or learning of heraldry or the nuances of their Faith. No, these are the type of questions and tests that burrow to your very essence and soul. It is the questions that cause you to awake from your sleep and demand to know the truth of the answers from anyone that can show you - be it the gods, the Cosmos, and even from yourself.

You sense that this part of the testing is most difficult because only a mind so prepared to answer these questions will persevere. You must work out for yourself not how to simply fight, or endure the elements, or the nicety of table manners or courtly behavior; no, you must decide for yourself the value of an Oath; the meaning of Truth; the purpose of not only life in general, but your own place within all the known Planes of existance, and beyond.

On the eve of your last day, they call you forth to question you on your final test. They would know if you are ready to take it, or if you will refuse the test, as you may fail.

With this in mind you approach them with some nervousness. You sense that you know what you could say to placate their questions for the final part of the test, but if you were honest with yourself, then you fear that you must admit that in end you have done all you can, but feel the answers to such questions cannot ever be properly discovered. Despite all your training, despite your best efforts, you simply are not yet sure of what the right answers are to such great and profound questions.

Sylvath regards you with no emotion in his eyes. He stares at you intently, watching you intently, searching you...

"Thou hast stated that thy cannot answer these questions on the morrow. Yet, if thy cannot answer, then thy shall fail; utterly. I see no hope of thee discovering the answer in passing of one single night, if in all this time thou has not yet discovered the truth on what we have taught thee."

You sigh dejectedly. You know they are right, but you don't know what to do. You did not spend all this time in study, fasting, meditation and training simmply to fail now - yet if you do not answer correctly, you shall fail in case.

Turning once to Sylvath, you ask him, as it is the last night that you would train together, if we would mind if he and his folk would share the dawn with you - if you would, together, watch the sunrise one last time as a student and his teachers.

The kobolds mutter in assent at your suggestion, which seems both appropriate, noble and poetic; worthy of one of their own. Yet your intention was not to impress - you merely wanted one more chance to enjoy their noble company as one of them.

Sylvath holds up his hand for quiet.

"It is a noble request. Thou art a fine student, and though thy have sworn thyself to obey our command over thee, we are well pleased to honor this request," he adds with a small smile.

The first day of Spring - The day of your final test...

As the rays of the dawning move over the majestic valley, you see entire land bathed by their light. Your final test, it seems, is at the height of the fortress, across from the stone landing that the body of Tiam rested.

You wonder if his spirit will guide you on this test.

As the dawn has passed, the kobolds summon you forward to them and arrange themselse around you. Their collective gaze twists on you and you feel as if you are being brought to an inquisition. Nevertheless, you move forward to them and begin the final stage of your test.

They go through the preliminaries of the ceremony of the final stage; you remember all these details clearly, but it is like you are in a fog, for you can barely contain your nervousness.

In the back of your mind is the knowledge that you could leave, that it would be far less humiliating to do so, rather then stand here and fail. And you know, also, that to fail the test means that they will not simply consider you a failure, but they will be forced to turn their backs's on you. You will be considered expelled from their brotherhood, their tribe, their family.

You shudder at this - for you know in truth you cannot answer the questions posed for the final test. You have done all you can, yet you simply do not know the answers!

But you know, also, you cannot turn aside from the challenge laid before you. At the very least, their training has instilled this in you, and even now, you will not turn aside for the sake of fear.

Sylvath concludes his end of the ritual, petitioning the gods and requesting their blessing even as you stand and fidget. Finally, he turns to you, and asks you the questions that have plagued you for the past month.

What is the value of an Oath? What is the nature of Truth? What is the worth of Good and Evil? And - most important - Why do you give the answers that you choose?

That last is the hardest part, and you stumble through it all, growing more frustrated and upset as you cannot properly articulate the answers, as you struggle to put, in your own words, the meaning of what you chose.

But when it comes to the nature of why you cannot speak. You simply tell them you know it to be true, yet do not fully know why. Then you begin a hasty explanation to your inability to answer the question, which goes on a for a moment or two, but you have no satisfactory reason that you can think of.

The kobolds eventually seem to grow impatient with your efforts, and Sylvath raises his hand to cut you off.

"Enough - these are not the answers we searched for. You did not answer the questions correctly," he says, his tone stern, his voice like a death knell to your hopes of joining with them, but also the feeling of pain that would come from being expelled from their Order and - more important - their company.

"You have answered poorly. Moreover, in the evening last that we spent in discourse, thy intimated it would be so. Thou feared the answers would allude thee in the night and today - yet thy applied no effort to seeking the truth on them - rather, thy spent thy time dallying with us to watch a dawning - a glorious gift of the gods - yet if thy had but tried harder, perhaps the answer may have come to thee in the night, or even in the morning. Therefore; as thou failed to succeed, I must now know of thee one detail, one question I shall have answered: as thou believed there was no hope for thyself, as thou feared that thy would fail - even in the evening before, why should thou dare waste the time of I and my kindred when thou believed that thy could not answer the questions correctly?"

Their collective stare bores into you. You have no real answer; their critique and judgement seems deserved - you did waste their time, you could have studdied more and discovered the answers... perhaps.

Sylvath stares at you, watching you closely. Finally, he lets out a deep sigh, then looks up at you with a tired expression on his face. You think you see something else, yet are not sure...

"Even now I shall give thee one last chance - perhaps thou may, at the least, guess the answers we seek. Perhaps thou could give us the truth of the questions we posed to thee, even through luck or the generosity of the gods, who may yet inspire thy tongue to speech? Yet if you will not answer - if thy shall even venture a guess on the answers as to why these things must be, then we will least hear why thou would even waste our time by allowing this test to be convened."

Your heart leaps! A chance, a last chance - True, you don't know what to say, not really, but suddenly the wild urge to guess, to offer anything, even a half-decent explanation that could somehow possibly solve everything and perhaps even let them forgive your ignorance on such matters.

The hope is there... yet, slowly, you must let it recede.

No. You cannot guess at such a thing. For such a thing, as in all things, you must be honest and true.

You apologize to them all, formally. Then you add that you still did not know, and believed it would be shameful to guess. You are duty bound, and under oath, to be of honor. You were asked to answer the questions, not make vain guesses to save yourself. No, you would not guess, nor try to decieve by encouraging them to believe that you knew the answers when you didn't simply to pass this last test!

As you speak you feal your spirit kindled, and your heart begin to pound in your chest.

And for the test itself? Better to try a thing, desperate and impossible to complete and so fail - better that then to avoid the challenge for matter of fear. You may have failed their test, you add, you may have lost the chance to serve with them, and you no doubt lost the company of good friends - but you could not simply turn your back on a challenge simply because you feared you would fail.

As you speak you are barely aware of your surroundings, instead letting your heart dominate your words, nearly oblvious to your surroundings. Perhaps this was what blinded you to the expressions of your judges - no, your teachers.

Suddenly you stop and see their faces clearly. They are all smiling with pleasure at your words. Their looks are genuine; and they are not mocking you in any way. You are stunned at their expressions, not sure of what you are seeing or why they seemed pleased at your final speech.

Sylvath nods are your words, his very being demonstrating nothing but pride.

”It is a good thing to be true and honest, my pupil – for so I still count thee, no matter what course thy shall hearken too. But know this; none may answer these questions – not with ease, nor with integrity. For in truth the answers are ever changing, even as the student grows and ages. Some truths are eternal, yes, and they always guide our steps with honor. Yet, in the end, we must never cease to discover the answers that beset thee; answers that even now force forward the steps of I and all my people. The true answers to these questions that plauge thy mind, the questions which trouhles thy heart for there no simple answeres - it is these very questions that are what give us purpose. We must always seek new challenges and do our best to improve ourselves - not with vainglorious pride, or for the lust of proof of our worth, nay. Rather, we seek the answers to these questions - the value of an Oath, the meaning of Truth, the worth of Goor or Evil - we seek these answers, true. But the quest itself is our goal."

"Each day we must question such things, ever striving to improve our lives, and that of the world that we know. When we do that with integrity, when we maintain that determination to find those truths and adhere to those designs, though it may be difficult, and seemingly impossible, it is the will to proceed when we see no solution, no chance and no hope - it is that final determination to continue which has allowed us to succeed. We will at once have discovered that which we seek, even as we strive ever and anon to reach those very answers while we yet fall short of the mark.”

”For us, there can be no rest, as long as there is Evil, there is always the chance to push ourselves each day to do Good works. Knowing that you do not know the answer is the true answer to your quest. For your goal is to spend thy life in seeking the answer – with your heart, Truth, and the gods to act as thy compass.”

Sylvath motions you forward and indicates that you kneel. Bowing your head, you gently lower yourself to your knees in front of him.

”Today is the first day of Spring, an auspicious day for this man who we now welcome as one of us,” he adds.

Sylvath takes thin knife and makes an incision in his arm, and dribbles blood into a small chalice, and soon the others do likewise. Then, he indicates that you do likewise – and you proceed.

Sylvath lifts the chalice above his head.

In Celestial:
"Our Lord Apsu has said “He who drinketh my blood is as blood kin unto me. He who is as blood unto me is like unto a father and a mother; like son or a daughter; like a sister or a brother - now and for all time.

Sylvath lowers the cup, his eyes on you.

”Arise, Bronwyn Winter, and drink! Spring is dawning, and you are a new man.”

Standing, you drink deeply from the cup, the blood warm in your body. You look into Sylvath’s eyes, and indeed, the eyes of all of them staring at you.

Sylvath speaks loudly, declaiming as if to a large company.

"Hearken all! On this, the Spring dawning, in the year of our Lord Apsu 4771, Bronwyn Winter has become as one to us!"

The kobolds, your new family, let our a loud cheer.

Sylvath then embraces you as a kinsman.

”Welcome to the Brotherhood,” he says to you with pride.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

wow, that was a post if I ever saw one

As Alaric mentions his magic, and use of potions, Ka'etil nods in ascent. Not used to thinking of non-mundane solutions, Kae is glad to have someone who is more focused on the Arcane arts here to remind him of such possibilities, and preparations. "We should certainly see if we would be able to acquire such a useful potion, and all should prepare Light spells. I'd hate to loose any more of my weapons, speaking of which, I'll have to look into getting a new hammer... Anyway, there are bound to be many a foul creature down below. We bst uquip those who do not specialize in close combat fighting should be equipped with several vials of holy-water, and perhaps alchamists fire and perhaps liquid ice depending on the effect they have.

And how do we wish to approach, I feel like entering the swamp through the fortress way, and guarding the entrance is a wise choice, for we can use it as another method of retreat, as opposed to getting trepped up against it."


You discuss the swamp long into the night, as well as other details. Eventually, you determine a sound plan of defense for the town when you leave it, and make some decisions on how to go into the swamps.

Pharast 22

After spending time planning for the swamps, you then discuss long into the night the needs of the design of your city and its improvement. As you continue to do this, you eventually conclude the meeting and travel to bed.

You awaken the next morning and are free to go about your business – getting the necessities of waking taken care of, and are even now congregating in the meeting room to discuss your daily plans, even as a hasty breakfast is set up.

However, even as you begin to look over the plans and layout for the streets that a discreet knock on the door can be heard. Glancing around at each other, you summon in the person knocking and are informed that there is a local who needs your assistance on a matter of grave importance.

Fearing the worst, you summon this person in.

Looking at you all the local bows low, and speaks quickly, as if uncertain what to do or say, or how to proceed.

”Begging yer pardon lords and ladies,” he stammers ”me name be John Hobbs, and anyhow, I be a drover out of the western lane,” he continues, watching you all.

’Thing o’ it be is that we done be getting our cattle be hit recent like. We done reckoned it be wolves, or maybe something else, but the last hit were right ugly. We be needing help, though, on account o’ it be the last attack,” he says, looking at you all.

”The last attack be happening two nights ago – not last night, but the one before – we were out in a wide field, and we be out doing our work with the cattle. I must o’ dozed off, but I woke up to baying and wailing from the cattle, and screams from my mate Held – I ran over to ‘em, had a good club in me hands, but when I got to Held I saw it weren’t him nay more – he done got ripped apart into bloody pieces! And there was a gouge out of the cattle as big as a bite o’ a bleeding giant.”

”I be needing help, m’lords! As do all the bloody cattle drovers there! That what did it to Held and the cattle be coming back, and they doing it again, and again. We be undone! Can’t ye please do something on it?” he asks, wringing his hands.

Brett hops up and then escorts the lad out, offering him a stiff drink, telling him wait just outside, and you’ll quickly discuss a way to come up with solving this problem. The man, still visibly shaken, moves outside and sits down, taking a cup of mead.

Brett returns, looking grim.

”This be a bad bit o’ business. The lad told me his pastureland be about twenty miles west o’ here. If we start out now, we should be there by tomorrow afternoon, I’d say. I think we ought to do it; we’ve set a good watch on the valley, and had nay trouble from it all winter, ‘cepting when we went down there. Aye, we need to deal with it soon, but this seems to be taking a priority,” he adds.

”So, what do ye all think? Any of ye want to go with this lad and do some exploring and see what we can find? Let me know; I’m fer it, and I’ll take any that be coming with me,” he adds emphatically.

This is an optional quest. For any who apply; the following is your reward:

1. 4 BP
2. 2,000 GP
3 1,000 XP

Check your email for further details on the rewards.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Quietly, from the corner of the room where she is standing, Ry promptly offers, "Brett, I will join you with helping Master Hobbs with his particular problem."

As soon as the meeting is over, Ry will head to her apartment to collect her things and then move to the stables to ready her horse, Tal. Dior is closely following his mistress.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

It's been a while since Kae's seen action aside from the Ghouls, and hearing the man mention giants caused Kae's interest to peak. There was that Ettin that Brett, Bronwyn and he had encountered, and Kae is excited to have another go at a large beast again. He's been feeling exceptionally charged over the long winter, and been too ansy to sleep well last night. Considering this venture would be a chance to do some good, and get to release some of his build up energy so he'd be more level-headed while dealing with the swamp troubles, Kae nods in assent.

"I'll be joining you in dealing with this thing menacing our people and damaging their livelihoods and endangering their lives. So I'll be coming with you, and I'll be ready to deal with this 'giant', more so than the last," he says, eying Brett and Bronwyn.

later, after the meeting
"While taking stock of the treasury, I noticed a Mace there that is clearly magical. Why is it that none take it? I was unable to do much to the Skeletal Serpent creature with my claws, but Magical weapons are often penetrate such defenses. Is there any reason not to take such a weapon?" Kae asks to the group at the end of the meeting, as he is going to head out and better equip himself for the coming challenges.

Later still
"Well then, off to the smith to see if I can find myself a Polearm!" Kae will, go to the smith to see what sort of Reach weapons they have there. He wracked with indecision, he takes for himself a Glaive-Guisarme and a Lucern Hammer, slinging the polearms across his back (27gp)


Alaric looks at the others and says I'm with you also. We cannot let whatever this creature is kill our people. It needs to be put down.


Male Human Cavalier 3

Bronwyn smiles, his eyes glinting with a hint of purpose.

"It has been a long, hard winter and I would be lying if I said to you I don't look forward for a chance of riding under the blue sky and facing our enemies. Our people are in fear, and they need us not only to deal with this peril, but to instill hope in their hearts and restore their security. Let us not disappoint them, my companions."

He walks to the door, turning his head to reply:

"I"ll be in the stables, saddling our horses and preparing our supplies for the travel. See you soon."

In my girlfriend's house, leeching off some internet. Read the "training" post, will reply with some commentaries and actions once I have enough time to post (will write the post at home and send it when I get here again).


Brett nods at Bronwyn's suggestions on taking action, but before he rushes off to hop on Stybba and ride off into the sunset, he quirks his lip in a dry frown and then turns to the rest of you in the room.

"Yeah...," he says watching Bronwyn rush off from the room "well, before the rest o' us be running of, I be right curiuos to know what be happening next. That is to say, what be our plans?"

He leans back and considers things for a moment, especially about leaving the town with a possible threat so close to it.

”Well, I be thinking fer now we leave the town under ol’ Khrovin’s watch. As we be fearing the chance o’ ghouls and maybe other undead types creeping out of the swamps, best thing fer it is to be having a priest to be watching the village folk.”

Brett fits his lip with a fresh quid of tobacco and considers options.

”But before we be going, anyone be thinking on what we be taking? That is to say – when we done gone down into the swamp, we ran into some nasty hash down there. I’d just assume be more ready then not, eh?”

He looks up at the ceiling, pondering for a moment as he chomps on the tobacco for a bit; thinking.

”Okay, what we be knowing is that what done be attacking the cattle be strong enough to rip ‘em apart - not slash 'em, but gut 'em wide open, as the fellow outside be saying. We also know it be eating man flesh, too… or do we? Hmm... Maybe that ain't right, then. Hell, it strikes me odd that if it be shredding that drover apart that it didn’t take a tasty bite out o’ him, too. And also, what be happening next? Why, the lad be gutted, and the cattle be shredded out into pieces and then be eated, and whatever be there ran off. It didn't take more then one bite o' cattle, and kill only one lad, and when the other came running up, then what happened? Why, it must have done run off. What kind o' stupid thing be doing that? That is to say - kill a beast fer a snack, and a lad for protection in a clean swipe or two, then run off when another lad just runs up with naught but a club...”

’Thing that can be doing that be strong enough to have big muscles and such – what be kind o’ creature that got that kind of power, and got a taste o’ beef, and mayhap don’t be minding eating man flesh, or at least shredding man folk, too? And then run off the same time another lad be running up?”

He looks at you all for a moment, than slides a small tin pot over to him with his foot and spits a neat p-ting of tobacco juice into it.

"See... I be trying to figure out what type o' creature done the killing first, so we know what to take first 'afore we ride to be fighting it, eh?" he adds to you all.

Seeing your faces, he nods once, thent slides out one of his many maps and spreads out it wide over the table. He places a stubby finger on the place that is marked the "Western Lane", about a day west of your current position, slightly north and on the other side of the river.

The Western Lane is somewhat across the ford where the bandits had made an old camp. About a mile or two west of the ford are many tall hills; sharp cliffs, and broken rocks with narrow canyons pocketing the area. The honeycombs of broken rocks, canyons and caves make for dangerous terrain, but the Western Lane seems to be a now dry river bed that had cut through all the mess, and if followed like a road, allows a person to travel with relative ease through the sharp ravines, cliffs and gorges, and so move to a wide glen on the far eastern side of the gorges.

The glenn itself is wide and lovely. The northern side has a large pond, perhaps a quarter of a mile long, that seems to be refreshed from run-off from the northern swamps. The grassy area is fairly large - perhaps a mile or so in radius, and with the tall trees flanking the large pond and good flat land for building it had been thoroughly examined by Brett at one point for constructing a possible town - perhpas a bit of land that Brett himself had thought of purchasing from the government for himself. Yet for now, he discounted such a spot so early, as building there now, and alone, would be far too expensive… yet.

He pulls out a small kit from his pouch and unrolls it. You see it is a strap of leather with lead sticks used for marking the map, colored chalk, a thin knife for sharpening the chalk and lead, and a chunk of gum rubber, which you have seen him use to erase things from his maps, until he his satisfied with them enough to trace the pencil with heavy ink.

”Aright, what done attaked the cattle up in that glen be most likely living in them cliffs, or the woods itself. My money be on that what the beast is be from the cliffs - there be lots o' little caves we've yet to be exploring... Anyhow, whatever the thing that hit the cow and the lad, it be strong enough to shred cattle and man fast. Real fast - fast enough that a drover rushing over to see what the hub-bub was about just missed the whole thing... That be, of course, if the drover be fast enough in his running... Still, from all account, this thing - it be moving alone, as is like – as then why else the other drover be left living, as well as the cows? I mean, if it be a gang of bad beasts to kill, then why didn't the gang be hitting them all – and taking more then one cow, and leaving nay witnesses for what it, or they, done did do?”

”Fer me, I think there be one type o’ beast there; strong enough to be slaying a cow and man in a quick move - and if the drover be right, it be not using magic nor sword, as they be gut open, so say the drover. And I also thinking it be acting alone - I be wondering, too, if it be something maybe connected to caves - lots o' things can pop out of caves, especially as spring comming and beasts may not be keeping up their winter sleep nay more.”

Seeing no objections at this time, Brett makes a quick notation on the map with a stubby lead pencil – from your vantage point it looks he wrote ”Here be bad things!” and what seems to be an odd caricature of a tiny face with a frown on it.

”Anyhow, if we be heading there, what ye think be there? And then, what we be taking with us fer protection? When we done went to the ghouls, we could have used more holy waters to be fighting them. But fer this? What do ye think we need be taking? I’d like some thoughts ‘afore I pack me kit proper.”

Brett looks around at you all and leans back in his chair.

”Well, what do ye got be saying, eh?” he asks you all.

Naturally Brett has raised many quetions and brought up many points. Is the drover completely trustworthy for his part? While you are fairly certain he did not kill his friend, he may not have rushed over as heroicly as he stated - he may have hid for hours,shaking in fear. And he may have also missed the count of his own cows, letting some of them escape. If this happened, this could throw Brett's theories on what happened off completely. As for the drover? Naturally, you are free to question him further - and this can include more deft means of interogation (sense motive, diplomacy, and so on - did the guy tell the truth, or make a mistake, or what?). Is Brett's guesses way off? Could the creature have moved from the trees as it is afraid the cows have invaded its territory? Could it also be a group of creatures?

Naturally, I don't know. But you may be interested in finding out some of these answers before setting out. Being prepared this time is generally a better idea then not, if you take my meaning... Let me know your plans, though. If you simply want to ride off, let me know, and you are free to ride off without any concerns. Just let me know tonight what yoru plans are.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

"Brett, I would like to talk to John Hobbs a little more before we ride off after this supposed creature. I do not like going off to fight something with so very little information to go by."

Ry calls out to the man by the door to allow the drover back into the meeting room. She was sure there would be other questions apart from her own for the man to answer.

As Hobbs enters the room and stands before them, Ry addresses him, "Good morning, Master Hobbs. I have a question I would like to ask. At the time your friend Held was killed, how far away were you from him and the cattle? You mentioned it was night and that you were dozing and then heard cries and so went to see what the disturbance was."

Diplomacy roll: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


Ariarh Kane wrote:

"Brett, I would like to talk to John Hobbs a little more before we ride off after this supposed creature. I do not like going off to fight something with so very little information to go by."

Ry calls out to the man by the door to allow the drover back into the meeting room. She was sure there would be other questions apart from her own for the man to answer.

As Hobbs enters the room and stands before them, Ry addresses him, "Good morning, Master Hobbs. I have a question I would like to ask. At the time your friend Held was killed, how far away were you from him and the cattle? You mentioned it was night and that you were dozing and then heard cries and so went to see what the disturbance was."

Diplomacy roll: 1d20+9

Hobbs looks relatively nervous... He shuffles his feet for a moment and mutters somewhat unintellegently under his breath...

"Oh, hard to say, mum; er... M'Lady. It was maybe, I dunno... about half a mile... er, wait, maybe less... I dunno... That is to say; I got over there as quick as can be. As soon as I heard the screams I ran over, and saw what I done told you," he adds, wetting his mouth his his tongue, not quite meeting your gaze.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

The following would be questions Ry would pose to John Hobbs,

"John, was there anything peculiar or different about the bite marks from what you're used to seeing? I know you mentioned the size of the bite but what else do you remember about what you saw that night regarding the bodies and the condition they were left in?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

"Were there other drovers out that night who may have seen or heard anything when Held was killed by this creature? It only attacked Held and one cow before it seemingly fled." Ry pauses before speaking a thought out aloud, "I wonder if Drover Held had also been dozing when the creature attacked. Again, a large bite would generally be associated with a large creature which would find it harder to approach so undetected. Otherwise, it has such a graceful step that it does not make a sound on approach."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


Ariarh Kane wrote:

The following would be questions Ry would pose to John Hobbs,

"John, was there anything peculiar or different about the bite marks from what you're used to seeing? I know you mentioned the size of the bite but what else do you remember about what you saw that night regarding the bodies and the condition they were left in?"

Diplomacy: 1d20+9

"Were there other drovers out that night who may have seen or heard anything when Held was killed by this creature? It only attacked Held and one cow before it seemingly fled." Ry pauses before speaking a thought out aloud, "I wonder if Drover Held had also been dozing when the creature attacked. Again, a large bite would generally be associated with a large creature which would find it harder to approach so undetected. Otherwise, it has such a graceful step that it does not make a sound on approach."

Diplomacy: 1d20+9

"Nay, they always be looking that way... er, that is to say - nay, I don't see nothing unusual about the bites. They be big, aye, but not so big as that ye'd think it weren't be attracting attention. I looked on and it be looking like they be big damage that be done to it - look like something reached into poor ol' Held's chest and tore open his whole body from inside out! And the bloody cow? Why, she had a tear right through her flank the size of a whole shank o' beef... Looked maybe four or five claws in it with a swipe and tore it out..." he says, growing distant, rambling on with his information but with no clear purpose - as if he is in shock.

"Other drovers? Nay, me and Held be staking that land out right fair. It be big enough that a lad could range his cattle, and lots of fresh water. Make it safer, we'd reckon, from other folk that may try poaching the cattle. The canyons be safe enough, as I see it, to truck through on foot, if ye stick to the Lane, and the woods be tall pine and such - dark and a little shady, as it were, but naught too risky as it would drive a man to be afeard of it. Nay, I don't know none out there... But it be a late night, and mayhap I done drift off a piece... Whatever made the move must o' been fast, and it must have struck hard, 'casue it was gone when I got to the body's - that's fer bloody sure," he adds, his skin gray, and his eyes flitting over you quickly.

Something seems odd on that look, though. You are free to try to make a "hunch", as is anyone else who is in the room.

Sadly, Brettt seems more interested in his maps now then the situation...


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)
Dain GM wrote:


Hobbs looks relatively nervous... He shuffles his feet for a moment and mutters somewhat unintellegently under his breath...

"Oh, hard to say, mum; er... M'Lady. It was maybe, I dunno... about half a mile... er, wait, maybe less... I dunno... That is to say; I got over there as quick as can be. As soon as I heard the screams I ran over, and saw what I done told you," he adds, wetting his mouth his his tongue, not quite meeting your gaze.

His nervous answer and posturings make Ry suspicious and she tries to gauge if he is lying or hiding something.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Something in Hobbs' continued story did not sit right with Ariarh. The answers were inadequate and contrary to things he had mentioned earlier.

Hobbs was nervous and not so cooperative on the whole and Ry wondered about his character, true intentions and general trustworthiness. Ry stared intently at the man, her sapphire eyes piercing.

Making a Hunch (using Sense Motive): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24


Ariarh Kane wrote:
Dain GM wrote:


Hobbs looks relatively nervous... He shuffles his feet for a moment and mutters somewhat unintellegently under his breath...

"Oh, hard to say, mum; er... M'Lady. It was maybe, I dunno... about half a mile... er, wait, maybe less... I dunno... That is to say; I got over there as quick as can be. As soon as I heard the screams I ran over, and saw what I done told you," he adds, wetting his mouth his his tongue, not quite meeting your gaze.

His nervous answer and posturings make Ry suspicious and she tries to gauge if he is lying or hiding something.

Sense Motive: 1d20+5

Hey seems very honest and straightforward... Most likely he is nervous about sitting in a room full of noblemen and genteel lady folk...

Yes indeed, other then his jitters, he seems very straight forward.


Ariarh Kane wrote:

Something in Hobbs' continued story did not sit right with Ariarh. The answers were inadequate and contrary to things he had mentioned earlier.

Hobbs was nervous and not so cooperative on the whole and Ry wondered about his character, true intentions and general trustworthiness. Ry stared intently at the man, her sapphire eyes piercing.

Making a Hunch (using Sense Motive): 1d20+5

Lying or nervous - you aren't sure on that account - but you are sure of this: you have a "hunch" that he is certainly hiding something, and that he knows more then he is telling, but what it is, you don't know...

For now...


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

"Why were you out there at that time of night, John? You said that Held and yourself were staking that piece of land but I am unsure as to the necessity at such an hour or the urgency of it either. It seems like a dangerous venture."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10 Drat -- natty 1.


Ariarh Kane wrote:

"Why were you out there at that time of night, John? You said that Held and yourself were staking that piece of land but I am unsure as to the necessity at such an hour or the urgency of it either. It seems like a dangerous venture."

Diplomacy: 1d20+9 Drat -- natty 1.

Due to the long pauses and delays in your question, it almost seems as if Hobbs has the time to put his mind at ease and gather his thoughts somewhat.

"We were staking the land, aye, as it were... we wandered up and down the land fer grazing for about four hours before we got there. And we done got there about five in the afternoon, and there was fresh water and about ten miles back to the village, plus over the river and around the lands. Anyhow, we reckoned on staying there in the field over night, let the cattle graze in the fields, get water there, before we tried trecking them back through the Lane in the morning, so we don't lose none in the canyons at night and all... So what be wrong with that?" he asks, somewhat confused at the intention of the question.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Ariarh looks long at John Hobbs, squarely in the eyes, before replying to him,

"Master Hobbs, we are here to protect you and the other settlers. I, on behalf of my party, am trying to garner as much information as I can from the night your friend Herd was killed. I would not like to see another victim of such an attack and you are our only witness, so to speak, even as you say you saw nothing at all. You seem nervous, my friend, and I am not sure if there is more to this adventure on the plains than we have been told. I am trying to determine what happened that night and what could have attacked and killed Drover Herd and his cow. The more we know, the better our chances of success. There is no guile here, Sir, I assure you." Ry bestows a polite smile upon the man, trying to calm his anxiety or nervousness.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

"Excuse me for a moment, Master Hobbs. I would have more words with you, presently." Ariarh nods her head and moves to Kae's side.

In a discreet voice, Ry addresses Kae, her face turned away from John Hobbs, "Kae, I'm not sure how much of this man's story you have heard but I have a feeling there is more behind the story of Herd and his cow. Will you come, aid me in the questioning? I must confess obtaining further information from this Hobb's fellow is quite arduous. I believe he is being deliberately vague."


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

sense motive for his answers to determine the general feel of his statements
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

sylvan/"I've been listening, and he does seem like he is not being entirely forthcoming, but I not sure he's telling any outright lies. I do have a few questions to ask"/sylvan Kae whispers in sylvan.

Diplomacy
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Summoning Hobbs again, Kae asks him, "Hobbs, your friend was torn apart, you say, but did it look like his flesh had been eaten, or was he just attacked. It could be that whatever did this only wanted to cattle, but was just eliminating witnesses."
Sense motive on his answer.
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Diplomacy
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
"That creature must be very fast to have escaped by the time you arrived. How far were the woods or somewhere it could have hidden by the time you arrived on the scene?"
Sense motive on his answer.
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Diplomacy
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
"You said that you rushed over soon as you heard the screams, but saw no trace of the creature itself that did it. How much time was it that passed between you hearing Herd, and your arrival, again? And did you look for it at all afterward to make sure it really wasn't around?"
Sense Motive on his answer.
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

This is an out of character theory, and I'm not entirely sure if Kae would come up with it so i'm tossing some Knowledge checks to see if the idea is likely to occur to him based on the fact that there were serious attacks, no witnesses, and the culprit disappeared.

What's the current state of the moon?
K(arcana)1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18 about shapeshifters/lycanthropes
K(Nature)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 about shapeshifters/lycanthropes

Sense Motive to form a "Hunch" if i can...
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

It says K(local) is used to identify humanoids, and lycanthropes are "Humanoid,Shapchanger" types, so K(Local) may be a good check to roll for that if anyone has it...


Alaric has been watching the back and forth, trying to get a handle on what actually happened. If you wouldn't mind Master Hobbs, could you start from the beginning and tell us again what you saw, leave nothing out, not matter how small every detail may matter. Alaric gives him an encouraging smile and motions for him to proceed.

Diplomacy1d20 + 15 ⇒ (20) + 15 = 35

Hell Yeah! 35!


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Another question for the list, would have asked second...
Diplomacy

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
"You said there were giant bites in your friend and the cattle, but mentioned wolves. How big were the actual bites, my friend? Were they like that of a dog, a large animal, or some sort ig giant ogre or some such man-like creature?" Kae asks, gesturing jaw sizes to the man matching the bites of a medium wolf, large wolf, and large humanoid.
Sense Motive on his answer
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Sense motive on his story in responce to alaric's request.
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

sense motive for his answers to determine the general feel of his statements

1d20+8

sylvan/"I've been listening, and he does seem like he is not being entirely forthcoming, but I not sure he's telling any outright lies. I do have a few questions to ask"/sylvan Kae whispers in sylvan.

Diplomacy
1d20+6
Summoning Hobbs again, Kae asks him, "Hobbs, your friend was torn apart, you say, but did it look like his flesh had been eaten, or was he just attacked. It could be that whatever did this only wanted to cattle, but was just eliminating witnesses."
Sense motive on his answer.
1d20+8

Diplomacy
1d20+6
"That creature must be very fast to have escaped by the time you arrived. How far were the woods or somewhere it could have hidden by the time you arrived on the scene?"
Sense motive on his answer.
1d20+8

Diplomacy
1d20+6
"You said that you rushed over soon as you heard the screams, but saw no trace of the creature itself that did it. How much time was it that passed between you hearing Herd, and your arrival, again? And did you look for it at all afterward to make sure it really wasn't around?"
Sense Motive on his answer.
1d20+8

This is an out of character theory, and I'm not entirely sure if Kae would come up with it so i'm tossing some Knowledge checks to see if the idea is likely to occur to him based on the fact that there were serious attacks, no witnesses, and the culprit disappeared.

What's the current state of the moon?
K(arcana)1d20+9 about shapeshifters/lycanthropes
K(Nature)1d20+6 about shapeshifters/lycanthropes

Sense Motive to form a "Hunch" if i can...
1d20+8

It says K(local) is used to identify humanoids, and lycanthropes are "Humanoid,Shapchanger" types, so K(Local) may...

Sense motive for his answers to determine the general feel of his statements

You sense, for the most part, that he is not lying. He is generally being honest, for the most part, but it is difficult to get a good read… For example, his entire attitude may be colored by fear of being in front of the new government of the land – it may also be colored by the fact that he is clearly reliving a shocking and horrible tale, and instead of getting help, now seems to be under some sort of investigation. Finally, it may be that he is simply tired, worn out, and possibly exhausted and/or hungry. If his statements are correct; that it is about twelve hours away, then it seems likely that he may have left shortly after the attack and hurried straight here, without stopping to eat or drink or sleep. But what is clear is that he is not being completely open with you - he is holding something back.

Summoning Hobbs again, Kae asks him, "Hobbs, your friend was torn apart, you say, but did it look like his flesh had been eaten, or was he just attacked. It could be that whatever did this only wanted to cattle, but was just eliminating witnesses."

”Nay, it didn’t be looking like he was eaten. It was a mess of blood all over the place. Body parts here and there, as it were – if he were eaten, I think he would be more… whole, missing chunks of him. And as for witnesses? Why not eliminate me, too, then?”

You sense he is having a difficult time retelling this information. He feels somewhat out of sorts on the matter, as it were.

Brett looks up at you with a frown. The Halfling’s look seems to suggest that he believes you are essentially “Badgering the witness”, as it were. He taps gently on the map on the table, reminding you of what he had already indicated, at least, in theory.

’Cattle be a nice little field. But where I found Held was about maybe nay more then four or five hundred feet from the trees, at most. Most likely less – the field being only a few miles end to end, and he was near the western side, near the woods.”

You sense no subterfuge in that answer.

”Don’t rightly know on the time. I already said I rushed over there as quick as I could; with my club! I didn’t keep track of the time, I just rushed over. It may have been a few seconds, it may have been a few minutes. I remember being near the cows, I remember the screams, I remember running over there – and then I remember the site… It were… just… “ he breaks off, shuddering.

You see that he is very off-put at this question, especially avoiding all of your eyes, as if he is hard pressed or tense. You “Sense” he is more ashamed of his inactions to pursue the killer of his friend. You “guess” his motivation to save his own skin – and the subsequent shame he is now feeling – may be generating his entire set of feelings.

The state of the moon is fixed currently at Quarter Moon, moving quickly to Waning. The last night of the “Full Moon” would have been on the 18th.

K(arcana) about shapeshifters/lycanthropes: You know that these creatures are humanoid types (typically) that turn into wolf-like monsters. You also know that though those creatures, if they are about, have an aversion to silver. You seem to recall, though, that though the moon does affect the power of many werewolves, it is not completely necessary to use in their transformations, though.

K(Nature) about shapeshifters/lycanthropes: Such creatures typically feast on animals and make their “lairs” in manners that are consistent with what they would normally do. That is, a “werewolf” would normally make their “lair” where wolves would roam, and feast on things that wolves would feast upon.

Success! You have a “hunch” you needed to roll higher to use that skill the way you wanted to ;)

Knowledge: Local will not be able to “Identify” a lycanthrope. That would be something under monster lore, as I have it. However, you could, theoretically, use “Knowledge: Local” to determine if the locals have heard of any signs of such activity in the past six months, though.


Alaric Winter wrote:

Alaric has been watching the back and forth, trying to get a handle on what actually happened. If you wouldn't mind Master Hobbs, could you start from the beginning and tell us again what you saw, leave nothing out, not matter how small every detail may matter. Alaric gives him an encouraging smile and motions for him to proceed.

Diplomacy1d20+15

Hell Yeah! 35!

Hobbs looks at you. He is having a hard time going back and forth between the massive barrage of questions. He seems like a man who is both broken and stressed from the questions. Hearing your request that he repeat not only the story, but the whole set of details all over again. He looks pale, stressed and frustrated, and – for a moment, you sense he is going to simply turn out with a rush before saying this all over again. Even as he opens his mouth and stands from the chair to let out a emphatic statement to the affect that he is leaving, he suddenly stops, and then seems to reconsider.

It seems likely that he has overheard your natural 20 as well as your total roll of 35!

”I be out in the fields on watch. Me mate, he be Held, he be watching the cattle. The space of the fields was about a mile radius – in the high speech as were – the north side being flanked by a large pond and the east and west side be surrounded by trees. The south side was surrounded by trees and rock, mostly, except fer the south east side, which be the pathway to the Western Lane – which, as ye know doubt may have heard be a dry riverbed that winds its way through canyons and cliffs that got lots o’ dead ends and some overhangs and caves and such. Even as I be sleeping on the eastern side – that is to say – camped on the eastern side, my mate Held be on the western side. Next thing I knowed is that I heard screams and yells. I rushed over to the sound, it be roughly three tenths of a mile, or roughly 526 yards – as it be clear that ye know rightly, I presume. In any case, I hurried over as fast as I can, which, some may theorize, could be 150 feet in six seconds – somehow I be extremely average to nearly any single folk in the world on my speed o’ running, except fer them crazy barbarians of the far northlands – but anyhow, they always seem a touch faster, but one might suggest that I ran, roughly, 63 seconds, as you know doubt know… Then, when I got there, I done see what I said; namely, the cow be losing chunks from his flank, about eighteen inches in width, and about twenty-four inches in length – with roughly five claw marks on it – and it seemed to have perhaps roughly 20 pounds of flesh torn from it, give or take an ounce. And as fer Held, he seemed to be ripped inside out, as if something thrust a set of claws into his ribcage and tore apart the entire torso and pieces of scattered the limbs over the fields.”

Hobbs pauses in his statement and looks at Alaric.

”Was there anything else I may be answering, master?” he asks humbly, still seeming to be caught in the emotion of the awesome power of your question.
;)


Ka'etil Malas'rae wrote:

Another question for the list, would have asked second...

Diplomacy
1d20+6
"You said there were giant bites in your friend and the cattle, but mentioned wolves. How big were the actual bites, my friend? Were they like that of a dog, a large animal, or some sort ig giant ogre or some such man-like creature?" Kae asks, gesturing jaw sizes to the man matching the bites of a medium wolf, large wolf, and large humanoid.
Sense Motive on his answer
1d20+8

Sense motive on his story in responce to alaric's request.
1d20+8

Kae, you sense his answer to Alaric was completely honest, and accurate. Also, I believe his answer may have answered your question. Finally, though he mentioned he thought it was wolves, he also suggested that was a first guess. After formally looking things over, he believes that the thought that it was wolves seems highly unlikely.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

More to himself than anyone in particular, Ka'etil says, "Hmmm, so you were able to get there quickly, so the creature likely attacked the cow, then Held as he cried out, then ran, suspecting that there may be more people coming. Seems like either a frightened animal, or a fairly intelligent creature that wanted to avoid detection. Either way, it likely fled to the forests, so we'll need to be prepared to enter the woods to hunt it down..."


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Ariarh stands to the side and listens as each of the males speak in turn, well except for Brett who even now was silently preoccupied with his maps.

Ry draws closer to the Holbyt and the open-laid maps. "Brett mentioned there were cliffs, with little caves, here." Ry points to the relevant section/s of the map. "Since the creature fled so quickly it would suggest it is not some pack animal; as Brett said, probably hunting on its own. I think we need to explore some of these caves Brett has marked on the map. We managed to acquire some climbers kits, rope and torches when we took over this keep. I say we bring those along and an extra healer's kit or two in case there are more unexpected things seeking refuge in those caves."

Ry ponders the idea of the caves. "I, for one, am generally not at ease in very cramped quarters. The creature who attacked and killed Herd and the cow seems to require a larger den, however, if the bites are anything to go by. I think I should be alright with moving around the caves. But one thing is sure, if the creature is indeed hiding out in one of those caves, then it knows its surrounding very well and it has an advantage over us. We cannot allow it to trap us in its den."

Turning and speaking directly to Brett, "Who are the most experienced hunters/trackers we have currently in the settlement? It may be wise to hire their specialised services on this particular hunting expedition. It would be advantageous if they also had experience with caves."


I think that may help Ry if there are some men like that available. Whatever we do it should probably be as soon as possible, I have no wish to see another hurt. Shall we adjourn and meet back in a few hours to head out? Of course Master Hobbs you will come with us, we shall need you to guide us to the exact spot. Alaric says smiling.


Brett looks up at Alaric and nods.

”My thoughts exactly, Alaric lad – why, them canyons and such be right tricky. If this lad Hobbs just missed the chance to help his friend, why… no doubt he’ll be happy to help us clean up the… problem? Aye, he should go, point us in the right direction; and, maybe, help give us a better chance to keep an eye on any potential problems.”

Brett adds the last with a neat p-ting of the tobacco juice into the spittoon, as he looks hard at Hobbs, who looks away quickly under the Halflings shrewd gaze.

”Meanwhile, I be sending word out among the people; if Ry be right, and there be true trouble in caves, then I be feared I don’t got a detail on ‘em. Oh, I know they be there, and I marked a few; but I don’t be ‘sploring caves right heavy. That ain’t my line o’ regular work, as were. Nay, I be fer out in the nice pleasant grass. Point being – I don’t got most any o’ them caves marked, just the Western Lane and a few near it.”

”And as fer what ye two be saying? Ry lass, ye and Alaric be right on that account, too. Fer this business we be needing a lad with cave knowledge; mayhap ol’ Khald Mak Morn – ye know, the dwarf lad that comed up with the caravan? And of course, it goes without saying that me boy Billy be up fer the challenge, too. But will he be wanting a piece of this hash? That be another thing altogether…” Brett adds ruefully.

”Still and all, we done planned a good jaw. I say we get this here Hobbs fellow a bit o’ horse to ride, and mayhap see to the gear we got fer him. We can do better then drover's rags and a club if he be avenging what done killed his mate, eh?”

Glancing once at Kae, Brett rubs his chin thoughtfully.

”Don’t be too clear on where ye be going there, Kae, but I like the cut o’ yer style. If yer guesses be right, then mayhap we be done getting some silver on this – but gods hope we don’t need to be needing it,” he says the last with a shake of his head.

Then, Brett gathers his maps and tidies them up, sliding them into his map case, and collects his little kit of drawing supplies.

”Well, lads and lasses, I be seeing to Stybba, and asking on how me mate Billy be doing, and if he up fer coming. I say, as it be ten o’clock, that we meet by northern side o’ the fishing village at noon? That be giving us each time to go over what we be needing, and also, the two hours Alaric be asking us fer to get stuff ready. No doubt ye all got yer own thinking on what needs be what; and, while yer at it, mayhap one o’ ye wants to rustle up that tough ol’ dwarf. Oh! Come to think o’ it, ye may want to be asking ol’ Hank Ironhorse – seems to be that other then his shifty ways he’s seen a bit o’ the wild; walked the lands as it were – could be useful in a fight or fer tracking, too; not to mention any o’ them lads from the Seti folk,” Brett says, gathering his gear and the mug of mead.

”Oops, almost forgot! Can’t let this go to waste. That be down right irreligious of me,” he says, almost to himself, as he scoops up the mead and heads out the door.


Female Aasimar Druid 7 (Noble)

Spoken before the companions disperse to get ready for their tracking expedition.

Hearing Brett mention bringing along silver in case Kae's assumptions are correct in regard to the creature they would be dealing with, Ry suggests, "Well, perhaps we should also bring along some wolfsbane as natural repellant (it is said that lycanthropes are sickened by the smell) or in case one of us is bitten. There is some lore which suggests it may prove helpful with the lycanthropy curse and it may harm werewolves if ingested or smelled. I will speak with Selendria forthwith and ask if she has the toxic plant on hand, and if so, I shall purchase some from her. Wolfsbane should be carefully handled, however, so I suggest either wearing gloves or wrapping the plant in cloth and then stowing it on your person. Do not allow it to come in contact with your skin, please." (Wolfsbane costs 5 sp.)

Knowledge Nature (re wolfsbane and "werewolves"): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22


This combat/adventure starts formally tomorrow at 9:00 PM Eastern Standard - if you want to be there, good times!

Make sure you have a listing of what good, gear and equipment you are bringing, as well as anyone you would like to hire on as back up.


Male Half-Elf Invulnerable Rager 2/Crossblooded Envenomed+Draconic Sorcerer 1/ Trapper Ranger 1/Rage-Vivisectionist 2/Dragon Disciple 1

wait, are you talking skype-battle, cause my mum's in town, and I can't till Sunday night earliest for that. If it's poating, then I'm good...

"I'll go and speak to the Ironhorses, talk to Patty, see if I can borrow Henry again, and ask her to be on the lookout for the denizens of the swamp. Maybe send her Khrovan's way." Kae voulinteres with a wry grin. "Then there's Ryul, who I can speak with. Also, I shall be bringing along that magical mace in the armory, if no one has any objections to that, in case the thing has some sort of magical protections."

5,301 to 5,350 of 10,645 << first < prev | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dain's King Maker Chronicles All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.