Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Zyren's Heart of Light

Game Master Zyrenity

An epic search for the Amethyst heptagon leads a party of fresh graduates through the northern reaches of Ustalav. Based in Karcau, the party visits places like the dark Castle Jarovich or the dangerous alleys of Carrion Hill.


401 to 450 of 8,260 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

M Chelish Fighter

Once they are out of earshot from the watch, Pitr turns to Zahur-
Tell me Zahur, have you ever heard that old wives'tale about Iomedae cursing liars by making their ears grow? I'm sure it must be a myth as I've certainly never seen-
Pitr mocks horror as he pretends to notice Solaric's ears as if for the first time. By all the Gods, Solaric! Your ears!


Vermonter

Prayer to Iomedae:
Thanks for letting us pass through one gate to bring us closer to justice. Forgive me for my moment of weakness when I needed to resort to lies. I was overwhelmed in the moment and did not listen when needed. Guide me onward.

Basilli:
Sir, I understand that you are an “Oracle”. Is it true what I heard, that you can draw upon divine powers from all of the gods?... I someday hope to become a cleric of Iomedae. Her ways have helped me through the most difficult of trials in my life. Have you ever called upon the godess of righteous valor, justice and honor? I feel called to be at one with her, but my efforts do not always reach her. Perhaps, if you were willing, you could share some of your insight with me. I would be ever grateful.

Victoria:
My dear Countess, apparently even in Karcau we also see commoners having no regard for the greatness of elegance and culture. I cannot believe the audacity of that man. Do you think it was our appearance that intimidated him?

Kirk:
Kirk, my friend, I am ever impressed with how you handled yourself at the gate. I was worried that you were going to draw your crossbow and let him know what you really thought. However , I think it was best that we let diplomacy do its work. Sorry to make you the accused in my little bluff, but I thought it would be the most believable. Mind you, we must still be on our best behavior, lest our audacious guard hears word and gives us more trouble.

Let us waste no more time with vision lacking guards having too much time on their hands. Let us press on.


Male Human Life Oracle 3rd

Chuckling at the by-play Basilli adds with approval "Good wit and a fast mind can often open gates that would turn a siege engine."
Looking sideways at Victoria "However you should not berate a man for doing his job. Remember also that in these surrounds, my dear graduates, we have gone from being big fish in a small pond to small minnow in a vast sea. I urge humility in our dealings."

Solaric:
"Ah my dear Solaric, I am perhaps the last person one should speak about the Gods with. Forgive me, my friend, but I cannot provide you with enlightenment. That they exist I have no doubt or lack of faith. That they have chosen to mark me with power and with a more physical reminder of their presence cannot be denied. And yet I answer to none of them. I need not pray, offer sacrifice, follow their tenets or carry their symbols - I carry only the belief that faith in life itself can also perform miracles. All I can say with certainty is that they work in mysterious ways. Sadly this needs to be a road that you travel ultimately by yourself to its conclusion, where ever this may lead"


Male Human Life Oracle 3rd

DM Zyren:
In my role as assistant to the group can we assume that whenever a player attempts a task that I am also skilled with that I attempt the 'Aid another' action? or do you require me to actively interrupt? So for example in the last interaction with the guards I would have liked to assist. This also I think would aid in the feel that Basilli is not here to take over the investigation but to assist the newly graduated with the benefits of his own experiences.(and to a lesser extent to evaluate everyone's performance.)


Vermonter

Basilli:

Basilli, you are a wise man, and in a strange way, you give me comfort. My faith has sustained me at times when I felt no one else was there, and I am not surprised that you tell me now that my spiritual journey is to be traveled alone. However, you have made that journey brighter by showing me that there is much good in the world that comes from unexpected sources. Thank you!


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

At Pitr's comment, Zahur lets out a huge burst of laughter, then tries to stiffil it but with moderate success.

If that were true my friend, I think you would have elephant ears by now from all the lies you gave to your sweethearts while at the academy. And me doubly so for all the lies that I gave to cover your arse with the same sweethearts

Once Zahur regains his composure, he turns to Solaric and the rest of teh group.

So what is the plan? We go and meet the solicitor, tough investigator/ good investigator routine? Or do we all play it by ear?


Basilli:

Good idea, I will keep that in mind. Maybe you should roleplay that idea in several situations, so that the other players get used to your "aiding" function.

Your walk through the now slowly awakening Marble District is not interrupted further. You can't help but being impressed by the marble buildings lining the street. Some of rose, some of white marble and even the street's pavement is a mixture of white marble and dark granite.

Most of the district's architecture is rather exotic and reminds the visitor of southern cities like Magnimar and certain parts of Absalom.

As you reach the solicitor's home, a splendiferous piece of architecture, you notice...

perception DC 15:

a thin trail of smoke coming from a window of a room on the first floor.

The household seems to be asleep, since all curtains are still drawn.


Vermonter

Spontaneity is good for the unexpected, but you are right, Zahur, a plan would be good. One approach is to go through the front door and try intimidation. But a more subtle approach would be to have the countess, myself and Basilli enter through the front door with a business proposal while Kirk, Zahur, and Pitr sneak in the back door to do some searching while the fine barrister is being distracted. What do you all think is best?

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

roll:

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

"I'd prefer a direct approach, but I am not keen on charades. If there is an assassin on the loose it won't be long until this solicitor is a 'tidied up loose end', so I'd prefer to bring him within a certain level of confidence and have him reveal what he knows"

She peers for a moment...

"I worry that the smoke trail there might be a sign we have been too tardy in our arrival"

The countess extends her hand and points to the thin smoke trail emanatting from the window.


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

Nodding at the countess.

"Agreed, we shall go with the a direct diplomatic route. Let's rush to make sure that no one is hurt"

Zahur urges Night onwards and dismounts quickly at the front door.

Ride:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11


Vermonter

Then let us enter in haste! Solaric pulls forth his longsword from his scabbard, walks up to the front door and pushes it open.


Male Human Life Oracle 3rd

Roll:
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Distracted by the surrounding architecture Basilli is obviously taken by surprise at the graduates actions. He looks around for an obvious threat.

A moment later he realises what was being said and hobbles after them.
As he approaches the residence, reasoning that should smoke be present it is likely that any professional intruder is long gone, he starts bellowing out at the top of his voice, " Alert the watch!! Fire at the Wilbert residence!! Fire!!"

Diplomacy:
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26 to call the city guard (as per GMG if used)

Once he reaches the door he will follow the rest.


A domestic dutifully brushing the entrance of the house opposite the Wilbur's residence is quick witted enough to run in the direction of the guards calling Fire, Fire! all the while.

As Solaric and Zahur try to open the door they have to realize that the door is shut. For a moment you hear steps and muttered curses from the other side of the door, then a bald man in his 60ies opens the door a gap and peeks outside

By all gods, what in the dozen hells do you want? and what is all that noise about?


Vermonter

Solaric pushes the door open wider and begins an urgen dialogue with the bald man.

Alert! A fire was reported here and smoke is coming from your windows. Step outside and speak with haste, my good fellow. Are you the only one at home? Zahur, you better run in and check. I urge Zahur past the balding man.

Diplomacy:
I prefer to take a 10 on diplomacy, but if needed, here is a roll:1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

What is your name sir? Are there other doors to enter your residence?


M Chelish Fighter

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 19
Pitr points to the smoke from the window.
Fire! Out of the way old man! Go warn your Master!
Pitr will attempt to charge past what he assumes is a servant and head to the burning room.

Init if needed 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Overrun 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 2 = 12

as fast as speed 20 can lumber


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

Zahur puts his hands on Solaric and Pitr's shoulders to calm them down.

"Mr. Wilbur I assume? Do not mind my concerned friend here, with the events that we have seen over the past few days me and my friends are a little jumpy. Would you have a few minutes to discuss of matters of the state as well as your personal safety."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24


The elderly man can't keep his firstly quite firm hold on the door and Solaric and Pitr are able to push him aside and enter the mansion. While Pitr already rushes to the stairs, the old man eyes Zahur and Solaric incredulously

Aye, Wilbur Vintra III, what are you talking about a fire? I haven't smelled anything.

Noticing that Pitr is already at the staircase he calls

Rex, Harrier, Wolf and in a blink you hear angry barking from upstairs. Calling after Pitr he adds

Halt, or you will be torn to pieces before you reach the first floor.


Kirk, still concerned about the potential fire coming from the window upstairs, steps inside and smells the air. He is also glancing about the house searching with his eyes for anything possibly of note or importance.

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

After a moment he turns to join Zahur as the old man is questioned, keeping his mouth shut until the man seems to need some extra persuasion.

I would like to ready action an intimidate, if that's possible: I'll only do it if Zahur's diplomacy efforts seem to fail. I'll put the text for my intimidate after this.

"Listen, old man, we've seen more than a few people in the last day end up gutted, butchered, and maimed because they were involved in this particular plot, and unless you'd like to end up like that I'd suggest you answer our questions. At this point, we're the best hope you've got."

Intimidate 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


Vermonter

If Kirk ends up intimidating the old man, I will follow it up with the good investigator routine. I put my hand on Kirk's shoulder and say to him, "Spearkiller, we aren't going to kill him if he cooperates. I am sure he will listen to reason."

Solaric turns toward the solicitor ands speaks calmly, yet with authority.


"Master Vintra, we are investigators and we have reason to believe that your life is in danger. What our half orc enforcer is trying to say is that we are concerned for your safety. We have some questions that we would like to ask you if you would be so kind as to let us come in. Part of the panic right now comes from the fact that there is a thin trail of smoke coming out of this nearby window in your house. We are fearful that this is an attempt on your life. Please call off your dogs and let us come in to investigate the smoke and have a few words with you."

diplomacy 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18


M Chelish Fighter
DM Zyren/ Heart of Light wrote:


Aye, Wilbur Vintra III, what are you talking about a fire? I haven't smelled anything.

Pitr stops short at the stairs. Oops... Quickly sir, step outside and take a look or check upstairs yourself. Every moment counts!

Pitr eyes the stairs warily for any sign of ferocious dogs or anything else alarming or suspicious.

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 14


Since Solaric already poured oil on troubled waters, there is no need for Kirk to intimidate-although he's so good at it :-)

@ Kirk, you can smell burning wood from above.

The old man rubs his cheek, obviously overstrained by the whole situation

I can't smell anything, but on the other hand...Rex, Harrier, Wolf come here...

on his command three large dark wolfhounds rush down the stairs and surround their master

Down!...The window you described is one of the library windows, I'll show you the room.

He goes ahead leading you up the stairs.


Vermonter

You are most kind, sir. Lead us onward to the door of the library. However, for your own safety, please consider letting Master Spearborn enter the room first. After all, he is a professional!


Kirk steps forward to follow the man and says gruffly as they approach the stairway, "There is definitely something burning up there. Something wooden. I think your nose might not be all that it used to be, old man. Make haste!" Kirk then, assuming the dogs have indeed been called off, tries to rush past the man, following his nose to find the library. "I fear our enemies caught wind of our discoveries, and are rushing to cover their tracks!"


Vermonter

"Master Vintra, in our recent investigation we have seen the terrible results of villains determined to destroy volumes of information. We have seen tomes burned and scrolls destroyed. They can decimate years of valuable history in no time. If that smoke is coming from your library, I urge you to let us save what information we can. Let Master Spearborn run and save your library! Tell us, which door is it? " Turning to our mighty half orc, Solaric exclaims,

Spearborn, follow the scent! Do not wait for us. Run! We will follow!

Then he turns and speaks to each of his friends.

Jendarne, do you have the energy to follow in haste or did you stay up too late last night and are now in need of rest?

My dear Countess, your presence would also certainly be most appreciated.

Zahur, by any chance are you skilled at making friends with Master Vintra's wolfhounds?

Basilli, take your time, I don't want you to hurt the other leg climbing these stairs.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Victoria daintily picks her way up the steps behind Kirk and Solaric.

"Maybe we should have come last night after all..."


M Chelish Fighter

Damn! We're still a step behind.
Once the dogs are under control, Pitr will rush to the library with Kirk. If there is a heavy carpet or curtain on the way that might help smother the fire, Pitr will grab it


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

Zahur lets his companions run towards the library on the first floor, he falls in step with Wilbur.

"Those are great hounds you have there Master Vintra. Has anything out of sorts happeneded in the past few days? Did you receive any visits or requests from either unusual individuals, or rather clients who wouldn't have the means or social standing to hire your reputable services?"

The Garundi gestures to himself, Basili, and the rest of the companions who bolted forward.

We have been put in charge of investigating a gastly murder, and your name came up, not as a suspect mind you, but in connection with one of the victims, a certain opera singer of repute"


Breathing heavily Wilbur staggers the stairs up. Ignoring most of your questions he answeres the for him most prominent:

Who could have an interest in destroying my archive and my library? It contains only my personal collection of books and my old business correspondency.

As you reach the first floor the smell of smoke manifests and you can see small trails coming from under a heavy wooden door.

That's the library! shouts Wilbur pointing to the door.

Pitr slams his shoulder against the door and it gives way instantly. Heavy plumes of smoke stream into the stairway and hinder your vision for a moment.

The bookshelves of the library are aflame, so are some rugs on the floor and books that have been hurled through the room.

The originators of the chaos are two small blistering figures who toss the books around with obvious glee. One grins leeringly at Pitr as he enters and says with a voice that sounds like a roaring furnace

Zzzze razzz zzkrackle Nezzir horrezz manzz!

Ignan:

Puny human I will set you ablaze and devour you!

Who enters the smoke plumes has to pass a Fortitude Save DC 12 to act normally, those who fail are stunned for 2 rounds.
Initiative please.

Battle Mat


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Victoria draws her cold iron dagger and readies a strike if the flaming creature draws near.

Initiative - 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Vermonter

Iomedae, in your name let us take these fire fiends down!

Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Male Human Life Oracle 3rd

Fortitude save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Initiative: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16
Once Basilli gets a chance to act he will attempt to determine what we are facing
Knowledge check Religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


Basilli, you just have to save when you enter a square which is at least partially filled with smoke, confer map.

Basilli:

You recognize the creatures as small fire elementals.


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

Zahur readies his greatsword
Initiative 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17


M Chelish Fighter

Pitr steps up (D4) swinging his halberd in an overhead chop at the closest fire creature (E3).

No talking in the library!

Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Attack1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Damage1d10 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

Since I am the PC with the highest initiative, I'll take my turn

Zahur brings his father's sword in an overhand chop and moves in a straight line to attack the small being of fire (E3)

Attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Damage 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 6) + 6 = 15


Male Human Life Oracle 3rd

"Beware friends! You face creatures of pure fire! Do not expect to puncture their vitals or the like! And like fire they are difficult to strike at! I suggest accuracy over damage here!"

Basilli will hold until some one needs healing.


Vermonter

Solaric calls out to the wise healer, " Basilli, will our swords do any damage to these fiends?"

My initiative is low, so I am waiting until everyone else has moved until I declare my attack.


Kirk's Initiative 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Elemental Initiative 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Sequence as follows

Zahur
Elementals
Basilli
Pitr
Kirk
Victoria
Solaric

Neither Zahur's nor Pitr's mighty swings are precise enough to hit the cackling beasts.

With high pitched voices full of frenzy the elemental retaliate on Zahur and Pitr.

Elemental in E3 attacking Zahur 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Damage 1d4 ⇒ 2

Elemental in D5 attacking Pitr 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Damage 1d4 ⇒ 4

I fone of you gets hit, you have to reflex save vs. 11 not to get the same damage for additional rounds. Confer Burn.

Battle Mat after Pitr's move.


Vermonter

When Solaric's turn comes up he moves to F2 attempting to flank the Fire Elemental with his attack.

Attack with Longsword: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24 (+2 for flanking)

Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


You can't get there without an AOO, are you aware of that?


Vermonter

If these things are as difficult to hit as Basilli claims, I think I will take the chance. I presume that Pitr and perhaps Zahur will also gain the flanking bonus in subsequent rounds.


Elementals can't be flanked, a lesson Solaric has to learn through pain I guess :-)

As he tries to get in the back of the elemental Solaric is grabbed by the creature and flames start to devour his body.
Unconcerned of this attack the half-elf hits the much smaller elemental with a mighty blow.

Elemental in E3 attacking Solaric 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Damage 1d4 ⇒ 3

Remember to Reflex save please.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Victoria continues to wait, ready to heal any fallen...


Vermonter

Ahhhhh! These blazing flames don't seem to have a front or back, but they do have a nasty bite!

Reflex save to avoid further burning: 1d20 ⇒ 16


Sorry 'bout that, thanks for being on top of my initiative there, Zyren.

Kirk quickly draws his longspear and stays at a distance, then makes a savage jab with the spearpoint at the nearest elemental (D5)

Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Male Human Life Oracle 3rd

Basilli will take a 5 foot step to C4.

"Countess, Ill deal with the healing. Stop the fires! Do you have any magics to suppress the burning documents? Create Water or the like? Or grab a mat and beat them out! Yes Solaric mundane weapons are effective - hitting them works!"


M Chelish Fighter

Pitr breaks a sweat as flames lick over his armor. He pries his halberd blade out of the floor and swings at the one Kirk injured.
on my turn of course

Attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Damage 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
sheesh. can i take 10? ;)


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Once Kirk and Basili get off it, Victoria will pick up teh mat they are standing on and start beating out the flames.


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

Blasted luck, this was so much easier at the academy! Zahur screams as he tries for another mighty blow at the jumping flames at E3.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Damage: 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (2, 6) + 7 = 15 (edit)Oups make that 14 damage it should have ben 2d6+6


As Zahurs swing hits the elemental, it emits a high pitched hissing sound that ends in shriek - a blink later the creature is gone.

The other elemental throws itself onto Zahur to engulfe him in flames

Elemental D5 attacking Zahur1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Damage1d4 ⇒ 1

Battle Mat

401 to 450 of 8,260 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Zyren's Heart of Light All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.