Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DM Zyren's Heart of Light

Game Master Zyrenity

An epic search for the Amethyst heptagon leads a party of fresh graduates through the northern reaches of Ustalav. Based in Karcau, the party visits places like the dark Castle Jarovich or the dangerous alleys of Carrion Hill.


351 to 400 of 8,260 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Solaric searches the library for any secret passages, especially behind bookcases. He also wants to investigate the large wooden table and the fireplace.

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Are there any other doors up here to other rooms? Does the library take up the whole top floor?


The spiral staircase you took onto this floor goes further on.

The first floor consists completely of the library.


Kirk continues up the staircase to the next floor, keeping wary of traps and other dangers.

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Stealth 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Grand Lodge

Kirk Spearborn, do not fear! I am right behind you with my blade at the ready. Just hold up your hand if you need me to wait. Yell loudly if you need me to come running!

Solaric continues to follow at a distance of about 30 feet. I am doing my best to be quiet and not awaken every stirring creature in this manor.

Stealth 1d20 - 6 ⇒ (8) - 6 = 2


The second floor consists of three rooms of which one is used as a storeroom, one is just a work space and the last only holds one shelf.

Mat


Kirk thoroughly searches the rooms, paying close attention to the workplace's desk for any clues taken from official documents that there might be.

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Grand Lodge

Kirk, sorry about all that noise coming up the stairwell. Dropping my shield was just an accident.

Solaric cautiously walks over and inspects the shelf at J2&3. I will not step on the rug at M2&3.

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


M Chelish Fighter
Solaric wrote:
Kirk Spearborn, do not fear! I am right behind you with my blade at the ready. Just hold up your hand if you need me to wait. Yell loudly if you need me to come running!

Pitr takes a tentative step onto the first stair, and then sighs, shakes his head and stomps up after the yelling half-elf.

At the top of the stairs, Pitr taps Solaric on the shoulder,
Seriously, Sir Chat-a-lot, are you going to announce our every move? You're not a bard by chance?

OOTS #766 ; )


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Victoria remains at the top of the stairs and begins to gently recite incantations while sweeping her gaze across the room looking for anything out of the ordinary.

GM:

(Detect Magic, followed with Detect Poison)
Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8
Solaric wrote:
At various moments as we waited for Naga to return, Solaric takes time to privately make connections and converse with each of his aquaintances, hoping to build unity with the party.

Solaric:

"Indeed I do come of a good bloodline, one of refinement and breeding. I call home the old capital of Ardeal; the common folk have litle regard for the greatness of elegance and culture it was once famous for. I'm sorry about your mother, indeed my relationship with mine is a little...distant...however, her gifts have made me everything I am..."


The search of the desk unearthes that quite alot of hand written journals and books must have been produced here - a lot of ink stains prove that. Nevertheless, the desk is entirely empty, everything, even ink and pen have been removed.

The same is true for the shelf only traces of dust remain there.

The various chests and vases contain dried food and tools.

Grand Lodge

Pitr:
Pitr Jendarne, pardon my outgoing nature. I mean no offense, and I certainly do not wish to give us away. You may not realize this, but my dark elven heritage has made my life rather difficult here in Karcau. My looks have often drawn suspicious glances and most people do not easily trust me. I envy your relationship with Zahur. You are clearly very close. For me, true acceptance is a rare thing in this world and that is why I work at it as hard as I do. Although, perhaps you are right. There is a task at hand that needs to be done and now is not the time for idle chit chat. Let us find these murderers and be on our way.

Victoria:
I have never been to Ardeal, but I understand that it was once considered the heart of the nation. I grew up listening to stories of Iomedae and how, when she mortal, led the Knights of Ozem through your homeland on the Shining Crusade to defeat the Whispering Tyrant. Ardis was considered a magnificent city. I have no doubt, that should you return, you will be a beacon of light in a land of great darkness helping restore Ardeal’s former glory. As for now, I am sincerely grateful to have you, your grace, and your gifts with us at our side.

Solaric continues searching the room with the bare shelves. He carefully looks under the rug, looking for trap doors or secret compartments. If permissible, he will take a 10 on his perception check (10+5 = 15).


Taking ten is always OK if there is no direct threat.

You can't find any secret doors or compartments. The floor beneath the rug is rock solid.

There is still one floor above you left.


Kirk, visibly frustrated with their lack of findings, continues upstairs in the same manner.

Stealth 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


On the topmost floor are a bedroom with a large bed and a wardrobe, and a small reading room with a large fireplace and a lone velvet cushioned chair.

Mat

Grand Lodge

As usual, Solaric searches with great caution and care. He starts in the reading room around the fireplace and the velvet chair as well as under the rug. He will take a 10 on his perception check (10+5 = 15). Is the fireplace lit right now?


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Victoria moves to the edge of the small carpet and begins to gently recite incantations while sweeping her gaze across the room looking for anything out of the ordinary.

GM:

Sweep 1, Detect Poison
Sweep 2, Detect Magic
Perception - 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9


Yes it is still lit, though the wood is nearly depleted. Obviously it was lit to warm the room until dawn.


Kirk checks the bedroom for clues or anything of significance.

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13


M Chelish Fighter

Pitr seems a bit frustrated and dejected.

Unless we missed a basement or something, it looks like the creep has disappeared again. Countess, is there any way we can get more information from the corpse downstairs? Maybe we can ask around the Church of Nethys, although supposedly a priest sent those thugs after us. We've got to check on those lawyers tomorrow as well. It might be time to get a little rest. I don't know what else we can do tonight. This wasn't exactly the way I planned to spend graduation night.


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

Sorry I didn't respond over the week-end, monitor died at home and our mobile network sucks in Swaziland os I couldn't even check the posts on the phone

I have to agree with Pitr, it is getting late and I don't think that any priest would enjoy us coming at 3 in the morning.

Solaric, do not worry my friend, we are all graduates here. There is no for you to try and prove yourself, as you have just as much right as the rest of us of being here, and you have already proven yourself invaluable. If it wasn't for you, I would be a piece of charred mage meat.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Let's run through what we know... we have a corpse we believe to be Caliphas' ambassador Georgiu Alistrada clergyman of Nethys. The reason he was in the city was to attend the ceremonies and possibly look for possible acolytes. We also have a dead opera singer, who was, oddly enough, of Aasimar heritage found dead alongside him.
We have her fiancé who says she arrived alone, however we have reason to believe that Georgiu arrived in company. So one person is missing from this equation".

"The murder scene bore us a clue that the potential assassin was of small footprint, a woman? And using small blades – such as razors. We also know they were using potions, so a person of some means".

"A search of the Opera Singers dressing room revealed only a letter to a Solicitors, what use has an Opera singer of solicitors, and what is her connection to the Nethian clergyman?"

"The assassins sent to kill us were sent by a man in a black and white mask, on face value this would suggest more of a Nethian influence... could one of Georgiu’s bretheren be behind his slaying? Or is it a ruse?"

"Downstairs we have a Nethian Altar, and a dead mad man in service of Norgorber – deity for assassins and thieves. Obviously he is in league with the assassin who has continued to elude us...
Clearly the solicitors is our next line of enquiry, but the assassin who has a head start on us also knows this...if they close that loop they might well snuff out our investigation. I suggest we move swiftly to the solicitors before they have a chance to do so".

They know we are on to them, and so they must move with haste... I know we are tired, but speed is of the essence."

The Countess looks her snake in the eye...

"Did I miss anything?"


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

Well if haste is of the essence Victoria, might I suggest taking my trusty mare to the solicitors place of operation while our other companions catch up with us on foot?

Knowledge local, for any information about the solicitors: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"A grand and generous offer Zahur, however I advise caution and moving as a group. This assassin has proved themselves resourceful and cunning, I'd certainly not hasten to them in anything less than a large group, lest they be brazen enough to attempt to dispatch early arrivers"


Knowledge Local DC 20:

The solicitor chancellery "Wilbur & Sons" is a family establishment with a long heritage. The current head of the chancellery Wilbur Vintra III is one of Karcau's most prominent barristers but since the death of his eldest son five years ago, also a very reclusive person. His services are usually very expensive.

I wait for a decision, either going to the solicitor now or waiting until dawn.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

I can see the sense in resting up first, and in light of Zahurs information I reckon an expensive solicitor might have good security - so we might be safe for a while - long enough to rest. So am happy to do so if the majority would prefer it


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

I understand your reasoning Victoria, but I don't think that the barrister would appreciate to be woken up this early in the morning by a young group of graduates. I think that we should either do this discreetly, with us going on horse being out of the question, or wait till morning where our detective work would not be so inconspicious.

I advocate for the second option. Did you not find the letter, meaning that either the assassins were not aware of it, or did not have a chance to get it before you both did. I believe that sir Wilbur Vintra the third will still be waiting for us in the morning. If memory serves me right, he is not one to travel significantly and keeps himself occupied with his affairs.

As a last point, I do not know about our other companions, but I certainly need some rest as that mage gave me a serious burn and I need some rest to recuperate from the injury.


Oh I forgot Kirk's, Solaric's and Victoria's search

All your attempts to find any further clues are futile. The Wardrobe has obviously been searched before. There are not traces of magic to be found.


Since Pitr already anounced that he would like to rest too and Kirk and Solaric are also exhausted after being awake for about 20 hours, I assume the whole party returns to the academy to take a rest.

6th of Clistril 7AM

As the sun creeps slowly over the mountains north of Karcau and bathes city and lake in rose light the city and the academy start to wake up. It's freezing cold and hoarfrost crests the roofs and streets of the city.

Since today is Starday the normal busy noises of the city hold off and there's only the hustle and bustle of the academy servants to be heard (most graduates are still asleep because of the festivities yesterday).

I assume you agreed on a meeting point and propose you meet on the academy square after you did your morning preparations.
Everyone who needs to regenerates 1hp.

Basilli, now is a good moment to join the group.


Knowledge (local) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

At the mentioning of "Wilbur and Sons," Kirk cocks his head quizzically. "I've actually heard a few things about that place," then continues to explain to his companions everything he knows of the chancellery.

As the group leaves the manor, Kirk sets his pack on the ground and lounges in one of the plushy chairs. "Why pay for a tavern when I can stay here for free? I'll meet you all in the morning." During the night, Kirk will sleep on his bedroll under the bed, if there's room. That way if he's walked in on, he'd at least have a good hiding place already picked.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

The next day, Victoria appears once again elegantly dressed and well coiffured, however the crossbow she has slung over her shoulder is rather ostentatious.

She lazily waves her courtiers fan as she awaits the groups arival.


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

After doing his regular morning routine, Zahur proceeds to meet the rest of the group at the square.

Morning, I assume that we are now heading to Wilbur & Sons?


Male Human Life Oracle 3rd

I approach your group in the square, limping with the support of my staff, bundled warmly against the morning's cold.

"So the masters were once again correct. Hail graduates and well met." I bow first towards Victoria, then towards the rest of the group.
"I was 'requested' to provide support and assistance to you by the Academic board." grinning good naturedly and in a false whisper to you all "Seems that they don't want to trust a Priest what with all the current faction struggles"
I spread my arms out expansively almost as if to hug you all.
"So here I stand, ready to accompany you."
Spying Zahur's harmed state I raise my eyebrows and proceed to roll up my sleaves
"Why I have not been amongst you a minute and already you need my treatment!" I gesture at Zahur and incant "May your wounds be closed, may your flesh be healed!"
Cure Light Wounds1d8 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Nodding contently at my work I turn to the rest
"Eh. Not my best work but ... I trust that shows my competency. Now then - where are we off to?"

Grand Lodge

DM Zyren:
After resting, Solaric wakes early to meditate for 1 hour. After meditation, Solaric attempts to cast a light spell on his sword. He concentrates, lays his hands upon his sword, and begins to speak the following words of power as he opens himself up to Iomedae’s divine magic.

Iomedae adina orada izin olarak ishik

At the square Solaric greets the group.

Good morning to you all. I trust you are all well rested. I was thinking this morning about that madman we met. Do you think there is a shrine to the Gray Master in this city? If there is, perhaps that may also lead to some clues.

Zahur:
Zahur, my friend. I hope you rested well and that your sleep was free of nightmares. Your wounds look to be healing well. I wish to thank you for your kind words. I see why the masters chose you in this task.


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

At the sight of Basili, Zahur suddenly completely wakes up and gives the older man a bear hug while being careful of his leg.

Basili! It is so great to see you. It certainly isn't the first time that your healing magic has been of great help. I remember the days when I was learning combat or riding Night for the first times. Your magic was invaluable, if it was not for you I would certainly still have a number of broken bones or permanent injuries.

Upon receiving the healing, the Garundi gestures to his no longer existing wound.
See what I told you!

Solaric:
It is of no worries Solaric, we all do the best we can with the faiths that were dealt to us. You will have to teach me more at a later date of your goddess Iomedae as her faith seems to have tenets that I believe in as well. I have never been one of the gods, but to see how she protects you and guides you, I would certainly like to understand more

Grand Lodge

You are Basilli the Fair and Just?! Welcome and well met! Forgive me, but I was afraid that you were just one of the inquisitors sent by the Masters to motivate us. This is going to be a great day indeed! I remember the stories of when Kyle Lightfoot, that studious halfling, was being bullied by Charak Mastoon and Basilli summoned a Celestial Eagle. It came out of nowhere like a bright light and attached itself to Mastoon's hair. I never saw that thug ever run so fast! Sir, it is a pleasure to meet your aquaintance. Welcome! Solaric approaches and offers a strong handshake in greeting.


Male Human Life Oracle 3rd

Pleased but a little embarrassed Basilli returns the hugs and hand shakes.
Play acting gruffly at being annoyed he responds to the camaraderie by saying "Fair and Just?! Bah - stop it all of you or you'll turn my head! And Im slow enough as it is without having to walk backwards!! Now tell me what has been found and what steps we must needs take?"

After being briefed by the group, Basilli takes his place behind the party meleers.
"Lead on good friends and know that I will spare no effort in keeping you hale whilst we uncover this hateful plot"


M Chelish Fighter

Pitr watches the precedings with a bemused smile.

Good morning, Doc. Good to see you and thanks for cleaning Zahur up a bit. He can really get into trouble at times.
He shakes his head sadly and grins at Basili and Zahur.

My Countess, you do know how to accessorise. You might scare off all the boys with that little dart gun there.

We're still waiting for Spooky? I thought I was late. I just couldn't turn down a second round of breakfast this morning as it looks like we will be running all over town again today. I reckon we start at Wibur & co. when Spoo- Pitr catches Basili's look er, Kirk gets here then?


Since I didn't hear anything contrary I assume Kirk will accompany the party to the solicitor's home.

At such an early hour and especially on a Starday, Karcau's streets are mostly deserted. Before reaching the solicitor's home and office you have to pass through the gate which seperates the Marble District (no. 7 on the map, don't forget: the map is attached to my profile) from the rest of the city.

On the way to the gates you just encounter two straying cats and one of the city's employees on his duty to extinct the street lamps.

The gates to Marble District are all heavily guarded by a whole company (about 60 men) of the regualr city guard, spread evenly on the five gates.

At this time of the day only three men stand guard at the gate you approach. The highest ranking among them lifts his left hand (right hand resting on the pommel of his longsword) and says

Well met, what brings such an illustrious group to my gate?


Kirk arrives without ceremony. He nods to his former instructor, and joins the party quietly. "Where to today, then?"

Grand Lodge

Solaric steps forward and respectfully bows to the high ranking guard.

Good morning sir. We have business with Wilbur & Sons. We are in haste, so we kindly request that you open the gate and let us pass through.


Diplomacy roll please

Grand Lodge

Diplomacy 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

Zyren:
This morning was Solaric able to cast the orison, light on his sword? I know the duration was only 10 minutes, but I am curious if his attempt worked?


The guard eyes you critically

And what does this business look like?

Solaric:

Your attempt worked, even so only for one minute.

Grand Lodge

My half orc friend here has been unjustly accused of assault with deadly force at the Snickering Madman. Solaric pulls Kirk Spearborn forward to present to the guard. We are all witnesses to the event and we urgently need to testify at the fine Barrister’s office this morning. I’m sure you can sypathize with this poor fellow. An injustice has been done that needs to be put right. Please sir, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Bluff 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Grand Lodge

Solaric, getting frustrated at the annoying guard, attempts to relax and refocus with a silent prayer.

Prayer to Iomedae:

Iomedae, forgive me as I do not always hear your ways, but in our need I call upon you for guidance. If it is to be your will, let us find a way through this gate. Lets the words that come through me be such that I may convince this man to let us through. Solaric attempts a guidance orison that gives a +1 bonus on a single skill check.

Solaric continues to try and talk his way past the gurard. My good sir, tomorrow is Sunday and Wilbur & Sons will be closed. This testimony will be too late by then and all of our efforts will be for naught. Besides, do you know how long it took me to gather up all of these witnesses. You are clearly an honest man. Let me offer to give you a blessing from Iomedae to you and all of your worthy guards. Solaric pulls forth his holy symbol and attempts to cast a bless spell on the guards.

Iomedae adina seni korusun

After attempting to cast bless, Solaric waits to see how he responds.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28


Sense Motive1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17

The guard furrows his brows after Solaric's first attempt to persuade him. He continues to listen and by and by his expression softens.

Ok, you convinced me...I won't question your cause any further and wish you best of luck...but if I get to know that you caused any problems, then...I think you already got a notion of what I mean, mhh?

He waves the other guard to open the gate and they let you pass.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8
Pitr Jendarne wrote:
My Countess, you do know how to accessorise. You might scare off all the boys with that little dart gun there.

"Why thank you gallant knight, I must say there is littel benefit in a lady wandering the streets like an unmade bed, and I would't like to be seen in the company of such rough men without making it clear that I was not some kind of brazen strumpet"

Noting him regarding the crossbow...

"I know it seems marginally less than lady-like, but a woman of refinement and breeding must know the rules of the hunt, and besides, it can be such delicious sport"


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Lovely speech there Sir Solaric, you were far more patient than I, I must admit I was quite set to order that natty little man out of our way! The cheek of a man of his station feeling he can simply detain people on the streets to answer his self important little questions"


"Aye, I was getting worried I'd have to make some threats to get at what we need. Good work, Solaric, and clever thinking." Kirk is immediately soaking in his surroundings as they pass through the gate.

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

I assume that everyone has been brought up to speed about everything by now.

351 to 400 of 8,260 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Zyren's Heart of Light All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.