Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Zyren's Heart of Light

Game Master Zyrenity

An epic search for the Amethyst heptagon leads a party of fresh graduates through the northern reaches of Ustalav. Based in Karcau, the party visits places like the dark Castle Jarovich or the dangerous alleys of Carrion Hill.


3,151 to 3,200 of 8,248 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>

Ok, ready to disperse? Who wants go where?


Pitr can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe, Solaric and Pitr are going to the Victajin family on Mistle Lane 5, back to the House of the Vigilant Flame and followed by the Elkoran family on Suncrest Way 7. I also believe Harl and Solaric have a friendly competition to see which group finds more information sooner!


Kirk is quiet during breakfast, his thoughts preoccupied with the events of the night before. When Pitr inquires about it, he merely says, "He's an interesting fellow. I wouldn't trust him, even with his hands tied, but he doesn't seem to pose too much of a threat: the old cronie."

As the group begins to disperse, he asks, "Can I keep anyone company? My people skills are lacking, but if anyone thinks they might need to get through any locked doors, or get at some hard-to-find information, I might be of some assistance."

I might actually be able to post almost daily for the next few days :P


"Kirk, you are welcome to join Pitr and me on our errands. However, please do your best not to intimidate the families. They are already badly grieving the loss of their children."


"Hah, as long as they have nothing to hide they shouldn't fear me or my actions. You never know when a bit of extra pushing will give us just the tip we need. But I will refrain for your sake, unless it becomes absolutely necessary." Kirk accompanies Solaric and Pitr on their errand, mostly keeping to himself when interacting with others, but chit-chatting with his companions in a manner almost eerily abnormal for Kirk.

"Pitr, y'know, I think I've finally decided. I like the nickname Spooky. Very fitting," he says with a rue smile, keeping his face pointed forward and revealing little else emotion.


Solaric overhears Kirk's comment and cannot help but reply.

"You like the name Spooky?!! Aren't you worried what kind of reputation that will give you? With a name like that, people will cross the street to avoid you when they see you coming. You are certainly mysterious, my friend, but when I think of spooky, I can only think of the witches that the Countess has befriended. They were spooky!"


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

"Indeed, Vic. Let's get to movin' on then.", and with Harl tromps out the door in the ever typical dwarven style.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Victoria floows Harl out the door, "Pawelja Family on Prophyria Lane 3, wonder what curiosities we may find there."


M Chelish Fighter
Kirk Spearborn wrote:
"Pitr, y'know, I think I've finally decided. I like the nickname Spooky. Very fitting," he says with a rue smile, keeping his face pointed forward and revealing little else emotion.

Pitr shrugs, "I always found it fitting. You seem to be in a prety good mood today. Why do I still have the feeling you and Countess are up to something?...and hey, we're interviewing victims here. No need for rough stuff. Just do what you do best and lurk, but try not to creep them out too much."


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

"This whole country is a curiosity, Victoria."


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8
Harl Marrhammer wrote:
"This whole country is a curiosity, Victoria."

"I would agree with that. It is a cruel and unforgiving place to dwell, but it has a certain brutal and primal beauty to its decay and darkness. In amongst the gloom there dwells horrors unspeakable by name, and unthinkable by nature, yet hre we are thrying as best we can to thrive in amongst it all. It is the common man who suffers greatest; the innocent farmer trying to eke out a living in fields surrounded by black forests full of walking dead and lycathropes, in the city the honest worker is faced with the blades and hatred of thieves and dark cultists who steal their children in the night."

"So who looks after these people? So much lies neglected through the disinterest of some of the ruling elite who engage in matters politic rather than matters of State. That nasty man in Jarovicha taxing his serfs to the bone, stealing from them, and then beating them down when they complain, keeping them like starving dogs in fear of the masters hand."

"I would see that proper order is restored, that people are given back the social heirarchy they crave, that justice is something one can fairly expect from the magistrates, and taxes and tithes are set in accordance with people's capacity to pay. The people need lords and lades to look up to, and the strict rule of law to protect them"


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

"Tis such people you describe which has drawn me to this land in the first place. A fine country fer folk like myself and pointy ears. Are you aware of any dwarves in tha area? I am to make contact with 'em as they requested aide from clan some time ago.", continuing on, he says,"This Jarovicha, does he have a honorable bone in his body? Ifin' he does, I'd imagine Solaric, Zahur and myself may pay him and his visit one of these days, hahaha


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8
Harl Marrhammer wrote:
"Tis such people you describe which has drawn me to this land in the first place. A fine country fer folk like myself and pointy ears. Are you aware of any dwarves in tha area? I am to make contact with 'em as they requested aide from clan some time ago.", continuing on, he says,"This Jarovicha, does he have a honorable bone in his body? Ifin' he does, I'd imagine Solaric, Zahur and myself may pay him and his visit one of these days, hahaha

"Colonies of Dwarves? Can't say I have come across too many of those,though certainly there would have been some that put down roots after the Shining Crusades rather than return home"

"Count Jarovicha is dead. He attacked us in Jarovicha when we were investigating his Heptagon, and he knew the only way to silence us about his crimes was to attack, so he brought his army of undead to us and was defeated in open combat. His nephew has also been executed for his crimes, and Solaric was able to save the soul of the Counts other flunky and offer him salvation on the path of the Inheritor. A good and satisfying day altogether."

"It does leave the lands of Jarovicha in some degree of dispute though, as the Count and his obvious heir are dead, which leaves only more distant family to contest the title. I intend to petition the Countess Sassandra for the title of the territory, to be passed to my father, our titles and lands in Ardeal to be likewise passed along within our family. We might not have glorious wealth, and the formerly glorious capital of Ardeal might be crumbling around us, but my family stewards those lands well"


Kirk sighs at the thought of it, "And then I'd never have to face anyone in the streets unless I searched them out myself. I would pay for a reputation like that." He turns to the Paladin, "Let's face it, Solaric, you do all of the public speaking I would ever need done. And you're damn good at it too. You must have realized by now that I would rather be avoided than sought: it's really a very peaceful lifestyle." He laughs at that, "Very peaceful indeed."

"As far as the word spooky, though, those witches truly are a perfect fit. I trust Victoria to know when she's gotten in too far, though."


M Chelish Fighter
Kirk Spearborn wrote:
"Pitr, y'know, I think I've finally decided. I like the nickname Spooky. Very fitting," he says with a rue smile.

seems my post from earlier disappeared :(. to recap.

"Well, I always thought so. You seem to be in a good mood today, Kirk. I don't know what you and the Countess are up to, but I intend to find out. And there won't be any need for 'extra pushing' remember we are interviewing victims. Just do your stay out of sight thing and try not to creep them out."


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

"Almost a pity you've already dealt wit' him 'fore I arrived. Oh well, seems in this country I may still get a chance at 'im."


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8
Harl Marrhammer wrote:
"Almost a pity you've already dealt wit' him 'fore I arrived. Oh well, seems in this country I may still get a chance at 'im."

"Well I supopse the good news is that he is surely just another agent of a greater evil, so there's still many souls to be damned and bodies to be kicked before we can retire into obscurity"

"I wonder what these stains are all about, and the missing children"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Solaric, what exactly is the Kronstein Ridge? I have to do further research before I am able to give a serious answer. But I agree, our priority must be to start to find the shards as soon as possible. A prerequisite for this is that we solve the riddle. Any further ideas for the first riddle?

As far as I understood it, in this heptagon are as much riddles as shards are existing. I found one and it took me a day. I suggest I try to identify until tomorrow as much as possible further riddles. The more riddles we have, the higher the likelihood that we have an answer to these riddles, meaning that we know where to go.

After saying this Johenric takes the Chronicles of the Heptagon and moves back to his camera, mentally preparing himself to spend one day of research.


For finding the next riddle, the same checks are necessary, Johenric.

After a hearty breakfast you step out of the Sharkpool only to wince as a strong cold wind has decided to sweep the streets of Karcau. Wishing the oother's the best, you part and stroll off to enter Marble District from two different sides.

@ Group 1 walking over to the Victajin family on Mistle Lane 5:

The house of the Victajin's is surrounded by a small park like the one of the ambassador's house you entered about a month ago, when your adventures began. A low wall (about 1.5m) surrounds the estate and the white building about 30m away from you seems uninhabited at first sight with all curtains closed. Only an old gardener, who is cutting down some bushes, watches you warily as you approach the gate.

@ Group 2 walking over to the Pawelja Family on Prophyria Lane 3:

Prophyria Lane is Marble District's boulevard no. 1. All expensive shops and stores can be found here and very frequently guards patrol the area. It seems even more strange now that someone was able to abduct a child without being seen. The Paweljas run a furrier business selling Karcau's best and most expensive furcoats. It looks like you have to enter the shop to access the private rooms above it.


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

"I imagine you,ve spent your fair share of time and coin in this part of town, Vic. Which of 'hese is the place we're lookin' for?"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Sitting in the Chamber, Johenric casts light on his Quarterstaff again. The guests and the staff of the shark pool witness within clearance between door frame and door leaf approximately two times per hour how darkness is falling in the chamber. Not one minute later light is shining through the clearance of the door again, while Johenric tries to identify the second riddle within the Chronicles of the Heptagon.

Knowledge History 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

As the light is gone and darkness all around him: Damn it! By Desna...I was so close and now I can start from scratch. Arghhh...why this damn light spell does not last longer?

Suddenly Silence...

Knowledge History 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

After a couple of hours Johenric steps out of the camera and goes straight to the waitress, orders food and a drink.

Do you know where I can get sheets of paper?

After the waitress has explained to Johenric where to go, Johenric moves and only after a couple of steps he turned back to her.

Ah...Ink? After she nods he left to organize paper sheets and ink. After he came back and moved back into camera, his cold meal stands on his desk.

Argghh....

Knowledge Arcana 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

Sometimes a small scorpion pokes out between the door frame and the door leaf. But as fast as the scorpion came, as fast he moves back inside the camera.


Solaric calls to the gardener. "Good day, my fine fellow. You certainly have beautiful gardens here. I see you have done some very fine work here. I am Solaric Zekkaran of the House of the Vigilant Flame and I was wondering if the master is at home?"

Diplomacy 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15


@ Solaric:

The gardener looks up and calls back

Sorry sir, no one is at home, the Victahins have left for their country manor on last Toilday.

@ Johenric:

Johenric:

After another day of flipping pages and trying to remember certain dates and places from the history books you have read, you are pretty sure to have found the second riddle text.

The deeper you descend, the darker this place remains during all times. In winter with roof in summer with visitors. In its centre a plce where the noble one lies in state.

You must not forget that the chronicles were written down at a time when Ustalav and the whole region may have looked totally different.


"I understand that they must be grieving deeply. We are working with the Nightscarves on this case and we are trying to find some evidence that can lead us to the abductors. Did you know, the child well? Is there anything special about the child that she may have shared in common with the other children?"


The man puts his tools down and comes a little closer.

With the Nightscarves, really? I just do the garden work and I have barely seen the child three of four times, a nice boy, I think Miklos is his name. I got a key to the cellar, from there you could also enter the house, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to let you in.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

DMZ, am I right to assume that the research activity is finished in the night? If yes, Johenric prepares himself for sleeping :)


Yep, get your pyjamas


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Well I think this is us Harl"

Victoria wanders to the front of the store and signals Harl to open the door and not forget his rank as a gentleman.

"Not exactly the place one could easily commit an abduction, seems this place contains valuables that there would be wards and traps to protect. Unless of course the culprit was able to bypass those by appearing in and disappearing, or was a ghost, but then as a Ghost how do they get the very much alive child out?"


"That would be most appreciated, sir. Every moment counts when you are in an investigation of this sort. Tell me, was Miklos taken in the middle of the night right out of his room?"


The gardener thinks one moment longer, then he shrugs and opens the gate.

Ok, follow me, please.

He leads you around the house along a gravel walk to the back of the building. Here he opens a storm door and leads you into a large basement that more or less consists only of one large room filled with various tools and some supplies. He points to a wooden stairwell that leads up and explains

I'll stay here, the master surely wouldn't allow me to enter the house proper.


"I could just let us in the front door, y'know," Kirk whispers to Pitr and Solaric, but keeps quiet enough that the gardener hopefully couldn't hear.


"You are most thoughtful, Master Spooky, but I don't think that will be necessary. However, I do need you to keep your eyes and ears out for anything that appears unusual. We are looking for clues that will help us find the abductors. Not only that, our reputation as investigators is on the line. We don't want the dwarf to be able to say that he found something first!"

Solaric leads Pitr and Kirk up the stairs to the house.


Kirk follows Solaric around, keeping a vigilant eye out for any potential clues.

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


@ Victoria and her entourage:

As you enter the shop, one of the three salesclerks, quickly comes yover to you

What a pleasure to welcome you again m'lady. We are always honoured that you visit our shop on your exhausting tours thourgh all of Golarion's opra houses.

@ Solaric and Spooky:

You ascend the stairs and soon find yourself in the dark wooden hallway of the manor. Large painting in oil of men in armour and women in elegant dresses are hung at the walls and while three doors lead to other rooms, another broad stairwell leads up. The house is completely silent and since all curtains are closed the darkness nearly complete (great you can all see quite well under such circumstances).


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8
DM Zyren/ Heart of Light wrote:
What a pleasure to welcome you again m'lady. We are always honoured that you visit our shop on your exhausting tours thourgh all of Golarion's opra houses.

"And with such good service and fine wares it would be a loss to go anywhere else. Alas though today I would have words with the owner, for this is more official business, relating to the recent tragedy. Before you fetch them though, perhaps you'd be kind enough to tell us what you might know?"

Victoria politely presses the Clerk for information
Diplomacy 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24


Male Human (Gundarian) Cavalier 4

Hey Guys, sorry for the silence RL has been really busy with the business and my wife left for Tanzania for 3 months on Sunday so went spent the whole week-end together...no technology....before she left. I'll read through the posts and hopefully post something tonight


Kirk says, "We should start with the scene of the crime. Where is the child's room, I wonder?" Kirk explores the rich house, relishing the occasion of being inside such a manor while its owners are out.

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

DMZ:
Kirk will be watching for any obvious valuables that could possibly have been simply "misplaced" or "lost" that he could pocket. He is careful to only attempt it out of sight from Pitr and Solaric (mostly just Solaric), if at all possible.

Sleight of Hand 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Stealth 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25


"Ok boys, let's climb the stairs and find Miklos' room. Be sure not to disturb a thing! Remember, this is a crime scene and we need to find as much evidence as possible. Let's keep our eyes alert for anything unusual!"

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

Nodding in agreement with Victoria's statement about the wards and other protections upon the shop, Harl moves to open the door for the "lady" even as he let's out a "Bah."

Knowing the countess has more sway with these individuals than he would,Harl stays silent watching the man's movements and waiting to hear what he says before asking his own questions.

Sense Motive for out of place body language while talking with Vic 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27


@ Solaric, Pitr and Kirk

DM Roll:

Perception Solaric1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Kirk:

While Soalric is already on the stairs, you spot a golden (solid) ball, lying on a table. This thing should be worth at least 150 gp.

Upstairs there are three further doors. One to the parent's bedroom, one to a bathroom and one to the room of a child.

Inside the child's room, there is a small bed, a wardrobe, a chest and some toys.

@ Vicky's horde:

The clerk nods sadly and replies

Mhh, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to speak about the recent events, but yes, Malda was kidnapped as it sems, but I heard that mister Pawlja has already received a ransom demand, so I hope we will have the child soon back here.


M Chelish Fighter

"A little light might help here, Solaric. Not all of us emerged from the underworld. So let's start with the kid's room."


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8
DM Zyren/ Heart of Light wrote:


@ Vicky's horde:

The clerk nods sadly and replies

but I heard that mister Pawlja has already received a ransom demand, so I hope we will have the child soon back here.

"I assure you we will not mention you breathing a word, please fetch us Mr Pawlja"


@ Harl:

There are no signs the clerk might hide something.

@ Vicky:

One moment please.

He leaves you, enters a backroom and after a minute or two returns with an elderly, once very tall and broad shouldered man, with a long beard that has more grey than red in it. The man seems to be tired out and eyes you bleary-eyed

Yes, how can I help you?


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8
DM Zyren/ Heart of Light wrote:


Yes, how can I help you?

"Mr Pawlja, I believe it is how we may help you, an astute man as yourself would have noted that myself and my confidante here are rather unusual shoppers, so perhaps why we are here already speaks for itself. We have come to investigate a series of tragedies, which I believe may have recently cast shadow over your heart with their arrival... perhaps we could talk elsewhere. I am Victoria, and this is Harl, no less than a Holy knight in the service of good, come to discharge his duty to the light in aid of those troubled by evildoers, and Mr Pawlja we believe you have been very much...wronged"


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

If you haven't already, please update the following from post the Dragon session:

Harl: Masterwork Full Plate, Armour spiked - and 400gp

Kirk: Mithral BP, unenchanted

Pitr: Darkwood masterwork Compound Longbow, 18str and 1250gp coin

Johenric: Coin 2050gp

Solaric: Coin 2050gp

Victoria: Coin 2050gp

Zahur: Coin 2050gp

Per Campfire thread


Pitr wrote:
"A little light might help here, Solaric. Not all of us emerged from the underworld. So let's start with the kid's room."

"Absolutely, my friend. Let there be light!"

Solaric draws his sword and draws forth the divine magic of his deity to cast light on his blade to illuminate the room when its drawn.

"How will this do, my friend? Now, let's see if we can find any clues here."

Solaric looks carefully opens the chest and looks through it. He looks around the toys and the room. He looks for any paintings with dark stains or anything that may be of interest.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


The chest contains only linen bedclothes, but as you look through it, you suddenly spot a dark stain, right around a monogram that reads A. V. founder of what is good.


@ Victoria:

Pawelja, puts his thumbs behind his belt and eyeballs you

Where did you get your information from? Ah, don't tell, I can imagine that the whole city knows by now what has befallen us...now tell me, what good can you offer?


"Aha! Our first clue. Just like the painting from Lina's room, there is a dark stain upon this monogram. I wonder who A.V. refers to? Perhaps our villains cannot stand to be in the presence of good. Pitr, do you see anything unusual around those toys? You aren't playing with them are you?"

Solaric takes the linen and carefully puts it in his backpack. He then proceeds to look in, around, and under the bed.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


You can't spot anything else suspicious in the room besides the bedclothes. By now Pitr hasn't touched the colourful wooden playcubes...:)

3,151 to 3,200 of 8,248 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Zyren's Heart of Light All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.