Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DM Zyren's Heart of Light

Game Master Zyrenity

An epic search for the Amethyst heptagon leads a party of fresh graduates through the northern reaches of Ustalav. Based in Karcau, the party visits places like the dark Castle Jarovich or the dangerous alleys of Carrion Hill.


6,301 to 6,350 of 8,260 << first < prev | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | next > last >>

Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

A light lunch a fine bottle of wine, then rejoin the party at the tourney. At a point later on, Aramais and his Stablehand are seen walking quietly down the road in front of dozens of witnesses near the tourney grounds. They dont say anything of course, but their cocky swagger and demeanour is evident. Victoria smiles at her use of her illusion.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Countess, do we know why Snow-Goblins should torture themselves with the mild climate?


Our scouts report that the creature of the cold - snow goblins, ice trolls, frost ogres, wyverns etc. are driven south by fear of an evil greater evil that has risen in the far north. While goblins are normally no match for well-trained knights and easily scattered, in their panicked condition they could cause losses that will hurt us in the long run.

--------------

How will the illusion resolve? Will Aramis just leave the tourney never to be seen again?

Grand Lodge

Countess Sassandra Livgrace wrote:
"She demands payment...soon...we have to make it look like a blood donation...out of medical reasons." Sasandra is pale and her mind seems to race "I wouldn't do this, but her aid could really prove useful. She has told me about an ice-goblin warband close to Belfurth. If we act now we may be able to stop them, before they can reach the village."

"I am willing to gather up Karcau's chosen and head north. Naturally, I will do whatever you wish, but what should we do about the tournament? There are still a few events left to go. Is it possible to postpone them until a later time?"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Although I am not an expert in those games of power, I think the priorities are clear in this respect.

Johenric says and waits for a final answer by the countess.


No, the tournament has to end the way it was planned, we will just have to speed up a bit, maybe we can do all remaining contests in one day - and end tomorrow. However, you can already gather Karcau's chosen. Meet up with Tanor, St. Just and Dumitru and plan ahead what to do. Until then I will organise the blood donation...I'm so sorry for demanding so much from you, but there will be a time - I promise - when we have time for ourselves.

Grand Lodge

Sassandra Livgrace wrote:
"No, the tournament has to end the way it was planned, we will just have to speed up a bit, maybe we can do all remaining contests in one day - and end tomorrow. However, you can already gather Karcau's chosen. Meet up with Tanor, St. Just and Dumitru and plan ahead what to do. Until then I will organise the blood donation..."

"Captain Dumitru and I will gather Karcau's Chosen and meet with Tanor and St. Just as soon as possible. We will be ready to leave when you give the word."

Sassandra Livgrace wrote:
"I'm so sorry for demanding so much from you, but there will be a time - I promise - when we have time for ourselves."

Solaric takes the Coutness' hand and gazes into her eyes, warly. "Sassandra, you may ask of me all you wish. I am here for you, and will do it gladly. For indeed, it is my pleasure and great joy to serve. So, please do not trouble yourself. I know there is much responsibility that we must both take care of. However, in the meantime, we must both do what we must to bring about that peaceful kingdom that the Inheritor has promised us! I will be patiently looking forward to that time when we may be together at last."

Solaric gives the Countess a quick embrace and holds her for a moment in his arms.

"We must depart from this place."

Solaric takes the Countess Livgrace by her hand and leads Johenric and Dumitru out f the crypt and back up to the academy square.

"There we are, back out into the light of day. Sadly, we must depart, but may our work bring about the peace that we seek for the people of Karcau! Farewell, Sassandra Livgrace! We will be in touch soon."


Male Human Hellknight 4 Bard 3 HP:71/71; AC:32/27/12

Solaric! There you are! Where have you been? Adventuring without me? Who's to tell the story if I'm not there? Or were you with the countess? Hehehehe! Flofer says, winking conspiratorially.


Sasandra smiles gratefully and departs after giving you a quick kiss on the cheek. As she passes Flofer she stops

Flofer, why are you never there when Solaric wins another tournament competition? she shakes her head in mocking severity and hurries for her coach.

Dumitru has meanwhile put his pistols back, the colour has returned to his face.

I will tell the judges to tighten the schedule of the tournament, get ready for the juggernaut, Solaric.

Grand Lodge

Flofer wrote:
"Solaric! There you are! Where have you been? Adventuring without me? Who's to tell the story if I'm not there? Or were you with the countess? Hehehehe!"

Solaric gives the childish bard a stern look and replies. "We were together, but I assure you, it was strictly business!"

Sassandra Livgrace wrote:
Sasandra smiles gratefully and departs after giving you a quick kiss on the cheek.

Sassandra's kiss sends Solaric off soaring above the clouds as he imagines his life entwined with hers as long as they both shall live.

Dumitru wrote:
"I will tell the judges to tighten the schedule of the tournament, get ready for the juggernaut, Solaric."

"Uhmm. Very well, Captain." He replies, coming back to harsh reality. "I will get ready at once, but uhmmm . . . could you remind me . . . what is a juggernaut?"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric standing next to Dumitru obviously calculates the consequences of the upcoming events.

Solaric, Dumitru. When do we meet all together? I prefer to use the little time I have within the walls of the library.


This year it's a wagon pulled by two oxes - just try to hold it as long as you can, ok?

Dumitru half turns to Johenric

No, you can try to find Vicky and her new sidekick, the last time I saw the two of them was at the tournament grounds.

Solaric? Will you accompany me to the judges then?

Grand Lodge

Dumitru wrote:
"Solaric? Will you accompany me to the judges then?"

"Most certainly, Gregori." Solaric replies. "Let us get on with our next event!"

Turning to Johenric, Solaric adds, "I am not sure when I will see you next, Johenric, but perhaps you could try to meet up with the rest of Karcau's Chosen and let them know what we need to be preparing for. It sounds like a trip north to Belfurth will be in order! We can meet together as a group as soon as I finish the next few events."

Solaric bids Johenric and the Countess farewell and accompanies Dumitru back the the judges and the Juggernaut.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric being upset says.

I understand the need for gathering the Karcaus Chosen. Three points you have to do: 1st) if we want to do this we have to agree on time and date. I am not going to waste my time to be the kindergarten teacher. 2nd) I do not see why your tournament game is that important. 3rd) If you two are going to the tournament place anyhow, you have my trust that you find Vicky and her follower anyhow.

After a short break...

So where do we meet at what point in time?


Male Human Hellknight 4 Bard 3 HP:71/71; AC:32/27/12

Solaric, are we leaving somewhere? Oooh! Should I go get my things ready? We could leave right after the tournament! Haha! Without waiting for a response, Flofer scampers off to the temple, calling over his shoulder.
I'll meet you at the end of the tournament! Good luck Solaric!

...*crash*...


Dumitru shrugs

Well, if you have more important things to do, I could try to find them - I just thought that more eyes could solve the problem quicker. And the importance of the tournament might not be clearly visible for a bookworm like you, but for someone not as focused on old tomes and dusty volumes it's as obvious as a beacon.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

I think different opinions are part of nature. Following what you have said about bookworms, the logical conclusion is that it is irrelevant if a bonehead attends the tournament or not. I do not see value in such games, they are boring. But other persons - like you - do see value in it. Dumitru, how much time does a horse need to overcome the distance between the academy and the tournament place?


Uh? a bit surprised by your sudden change of topic, Dumitru needs a moment for his answer A good rider on a fast hrose needs about ten minutes I'd say.

Grand Lodge

Johenric wrote:
"I understand the need for gathering the Karcaus Chosen. Three points you have to do: 1st) if we want to do this we have to agree on time and date. I am not going to waste my time to be the kindergarten teacher. 2nd) I do not see why your tournament game is that important. 3rd) If you two are going to the tournament place anyhow, you have my trust that you find Vicky and her follower anyhow."

"Johenric, my friend, please do not get upset. I will try to explain things as clearly as possible. First, please know that I am happy to agree upon a time. Let's meet tonight at eight o'clock. You can select the place, and I will naturally agree to it. As for the importance of the tournament, well it is a little complicated. Let's just say that it has to do with marriage to the Countess Livgrace. You see, I love her, and to be allowed to marry her, I must win the tournament. I know this is itself does not sound very important, but it is actually very important when you consider the urgency of uniting Karcau and being able to inspire and motivate the people of Sinaria. Together, the Countess and I will be able to battle the evil, guide the people, and bring peace to this great land. It is my calling and I know that somehow I will win this tournament! I understand from your third point, that you would like me to speak with Victoria and Mr. Stern. That will be fine. I'm sure I will meet up with them sometime after today's events. Please, Johenric, you are a fine wizard and I am most grateful for all that you have given to me and this party. I do not like to see you upset in any way. If there is something that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know!"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric nods.

Thank you Solaric. When I came back from Castle Jarovich the tournament was for me a tournament. I have participated twice at the tournament and I did not see why my attendance has been required.

And he continues...

To be very honest with you, I wasn't aware that the marriage to the countess will be decided by a tournament. I do not comment this. However as this torunament is obviously one very important event in the Chronicles of Sinaria - respective Ustalav - somebody has to ensure that the facts will be documented in an accurate way to reflext the happening right, allowing furhter generations to understand the past, - and this person will be me.

Johenric takes out sheets of paper and his quill. He can not wait to move on.

Dumitru, I apologize. My intention has never been to offend you; I wanted to make my position clear.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (1) + 16 = 17
Prescience 1d20 ⇒ 3
So Johenric takes the 3 which result in 19

I need a chair and desk. Do you know an adequate position for my purpose? Or are you in the position to make such things available, preferrable under a roof?


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"...so you see Cairn" Victoria continues whilst topping up bith their glasses of wine as they walk on "There are many great evils we face. I suspect that whilst we killed the Rag Man and my mother now toys with his soul in the Abyss, he was just one of many agents we have dealt with that speak of a greater darkness. Why even Jarovicha himself who was lord of his land seemed somewhat in league with a greater player, well he was, until we executed him and his nephew... yes I still see a dark and spectral figure about from time to time, whispering away at the edges. Even now his dark hand no doubt turns towards scotching Solarics plans of goodness" She almost absentmindedly reads the bottle "Not a bad vintage...oh yes, great evils, much peril a fair amount of blood and guts and we also manage to get a bit of coin out of the whole endeavour from time to time, so it's not all bad. So far we have only lost members to retirement, and all left significantly wealthier than they arrived, why even bitter Pitr managed to find the love of his life and settle down"

"So a thousand gold pieces for an hours work and you didn't even need to stab anybody, how does that sit with you? Reckon you are up for more? It wont always be so clean, but thats the nature of the game of politics"

Assume by now we are 'publicly easy to find in the open, if you need us, we are here'


Male Varisian Human
Common Stats:
Init:7, Perc:16 // HP:82 // AC:19, Touch:14, FF:15 // F:10, R:11, W:5 // CMB:12, CMD:25

Cairn smiled and realized that uncle Trevolk was right...'a foolish man tells a woman to stop talking, but a wise man tells her that her mouth is beautiful when her lips are closed'...

Oh, Im up for more Victoria. The Sczarni have a deep interest in the politics of Karcau and a much deeper interest in shiny coins but wine beats them both.

He chuckled and smiled even broader before took another swill from his glass. He took in the sights of the tournament and wondered when the next competition would take place.

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27


Dumitru nudges Johenric

No offense taken. I'll see if I can organise the things you need...and a roof sounds like a good idea, too.

Together you walk back to the tournament grounds where Dumitru leads Solaric to the judges and waiting knights and organizes a small desk for Johenric underneath the broad roof of a stand selling fried mushrooms.

Then he departs to search Vicky and Cairn...


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Thanks Dumitru.

Johenric takes out his sheets and quill. He organizes his desk and starts to document the event from the perspective of an neutral observer.

any skills Johenric has to use to document or to write?


nah


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8
DM Zyren/ Heart of Light wrote:

Then he departs to search Vicky and Cairn...

"You what?"


Ah very good - pretty easy to find you, heh. Dumitru looks a bit confused after he is whizzed into the tavern.

I was looking for you, Karcau's Chosen meet tonight, eight o' clock.

Grand Lodge

Solaric arrives at the judges table and presents himself with a deep bow. "I, Solaric Zekkaran, am here to present myself for the competition against the Juggernaut. Could you kindly explain to me the objective and any pertinent rules that I need to be aware of?"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

what does "nah" mean?


what means nah? :)

The judge looks up from the list of names and smiles

Sir Zekkaran, now that you have arrived, we only have to wait for Aramis. Meanwhile I can explain you the competition. It's a test of raw strength. The question is how long can you hold a wagon pulled by a yoke of oxen.

Grand Lodge

Judge wrote:
"Sir Zekkaran, now that you have arrived, we only have to wait for Aramis. Meanwhile I can explain you the competition. It's a test of raw strength. The question is how long can you hold a wagon pulled by a yoke of oxen."

"I have never claimed to be as strong as an ox, but the Inheritor willing I will do my best!"

Will Solaric simply need to give you a strength check?

"Forgive my suspicion, but with Aramis missing, perhaps it would be prudent to check the ox cart to check if anything is tampered with."


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

DMZ:
Does Johenric need to roll a skill to get a good documentation about the tournament even? Guest, Rankings, Descriptions of the competitions and competitors?


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"I was hoping to see some combat, suppose a cart and some cows will have to do" Victoria makes herself comfortable in the stands.


Male Varisian Human
Common Stats:
Init:7, Perc:16 // HP:82 // AC:19, Touch:14, FF:15 // F:10, R:11, W:5 // CMB:12, CMD:25

Cairn took a seat next to Victoria.

Ah, but a contest of strength will be exciting. Is your friend Sir Solaric up to it? He didnt seem the muscle bound type but one can't always tell with elves.


No one is as strong as an ox, but it will matter how long you are able to slow them. Please, come over here to this red line. Ok, can you see the second red line over there? the judge points at another line about fifty feet away. We will take the time the oxen need to cross that line.

Mhm...yeah, we should check the cart again...just in case...oh - and where is Sir Narumek? Is he also missing?

-------

@ Jo: No, you don't have to roll.

-----------

The man next to Cairn nods

Yo, looks flimsy, indeed.


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Narumek rides up on his steed, dressed in full plate as always and dismounts quickly. He approaches the judge with long strides.
What is the meaning of this? I was informed of a time change just now, and I nearly missed the event! he says, pointing at the judge accusingly with his taloned gauntlet.

Grand Lodge

Narumek wrote:
"What is the meaning of this? I was informed of a time change just now, and I nearly missed the event!"

"Greetings, Narumek! It is nice to see you as well. Let us refrain from finger pointing. You are here now and that is all that matters. Join us if you like. We are about to inspect the wagons to ensure that nothing has been tampered with!"


Male Varisian Human
Common Stats:
Init:7, Perc:16 // HP:82 // AC:19, Touch:14, FF:15 // F:10, R:11, W:5 // CMB:12, CMD:25

Cairn nodded and replied to the man.

Aye, but looking flimsy dont mean is flimsy. Care to wager?


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

At this moment Johenric sitting at his desk writes down: "Solaric inspected the wagons..."


The man grins

Looking flimsy actually means flimsy, heh. I say 5gp that he does not make it under the first three.

------------

After the judges, Solaric and all other knights have inspected the wagons and found them to be unchanged and intact, the contest begins. This time Solaric and Narumek are about the last to start.

When it is finally Narumek's turn to grab the thick hawser, some very strong knights have already left some impressive marks on the judges' lists.

Try 10 DC 18 STR checks. For each you pass, you are able to slow the cart for 2 seconds.

The best one has managed to slow the cart down for 10 seconds.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8
Cairn Stern wrote:
Is your friend Sir Solaric up to it? He didnt seem the muscle bound type but one can't always tell with elves.

"Seems to do well enough when swinging steel to take flesh from bone, not sure he the labouring brute type though. I'll back Solaric with 5 gold too, have to always be there supporting your friends right?"


Male Varisian Human
Common Stats:
Init:7, Perc:16 // HP:82 // AC:19, Touch:14, FF:15 // F:10, R:11, W:5 // CMB:12, CMD:25

Well there you have it good sir. Will you see the 5 gold from my Lady friend as well?

Grand Lodge

"Good Luck, Narumek, may the strongest man win!"

Solaric is most impressed at the caliber of strong knights as he watches them resist the pull of the ox.

"Fine job!" He calls out to encourage them onward. However within, Solaric says a quiet prayer, trying to be at one with the Inheritor.

"Blessed Inheritor, guide me this day and give me the strength that you have promised all who champion your cause. Guide me forth that I may bring your glory to this realm! Let it ever be so!"


The man grins

Why not, these oxen look strong enough to pull two scores of elves, heh.


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Narumek sets his heel in the dirt and does his best to hold the cart back.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Grand Lodge

After Narumek makes his attempt to hold back the Ox cart, Solaric approaches the cart and says a prayer.

"Almighty Inheritor, you have given me strength in the past and once again I ask you to work through me. Give me the strength to do the work that you would have me do and hold back the Ox Cart as long as I may. I ask this that I may bring your glory to this realm in all that I say and do! Let it be so!"

Solaric gives the nod to let the Oxen begin pulling. Solaric, with his muscles straining, pulls on the cart doing everything in his power to hold up the inevitable rolling of the wagon.

Strength Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Strength Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23 Critical Strength Check!
Strength Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20 Success!
Strength Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18 Success!
Strength Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Strength Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Strength Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Strength Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Strength Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Strength Check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23 Critical Strength Check!

"Blessed Inheritor, I thank you for your guidance!


Both Solaric and Narumek are able to hold the cart back for 8 seconds and with that tie for 2nd rank.

The crowd applauds and the man next to Cairn grins

I admit that was closer than I would have expected it. Keep your gold, I learned something new today, heh.

The senior judge walks over to Solaric and Narumek and whispers

You'll both be rewarded the points for 2nd rank if that is ok for you and none of you wants to force a decision?

Grand Lodge

"Thank you," Solaric replies. "I am honored to compete among such worthy knights. Now, kindly tell me what remains to be finished with this tournament. I mist insist that we move on with it, that we may free these men from their responsibilities and allow them to prepare for battle to defend our home land. Speaking of preparing for battle, has anyone seen Aramis? It is not like him to not compete. Furthermore, I doubt he would have simply given up. Even if he is only half as strong as he is arrogant, he would have fared very well with the juggernaut!"


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Indeed, I concern myself little with the strength of oxen. What are the other events of the tournament?


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric wrote down:

"The tournament will decide who will marry the lovely countess...."
** Note: I have to review the exact law respective tradition of the rulers of Sinaria.**
"Ox competition: Solaric and Narumek have been rewarded with the 2nd place. The winner..."

6,301 to 6,350 of 8,260 << first < prev | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Zyren's Heart of Light All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.