Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DM Zyren's Heart of Light

Game Master Zyrenity

An epic search for the Amethyst heptagon leads a party of fresh graduates through the northern reaches of Ustalav. Based in Karcau, the party visits places like the dark Castle Jarovich or the dangerous alleys of Carrion Hill.


6,101 to 6,150 of 8,260 << first < prev | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

"As I have learned from a very dear friend of mine, good and evil are defined by your actions. It is not your race or blood within that determines alignment, but what you choose to do with your life. The question is what ideals do you cherish and of which deity to you emulate? If you have been good to your people, then you should have nothing to fear!"

Solaric gives Stephen Livgrace a questioning look when Lucretia offers to help against the evil from the north.

"Tell me of this promise and what you can do against the black flood that approaches, and tell me at what cost this promise will come to me and the good people of Karcau! What is the price that we will pay should we free you from this coffin?"


I possess powers...powers that you'll wind very handy once the enemy arrives...and arrive he will. Cost? No costs, at least none that you will notice, Sir Zekkaran.

Stephen seems decided, he looks at you and Narumek nods.

Grand Lodge

Solaric turns to Narumek and Stephen Livgrace and asks, "You have heard the kind offer of Lucretia. We are well aware of the cost of lives this black flood will take when it arrives. Perhaps this is the best course of action to help fight off the enemy. I will pray on this a moment, but I ask for your thoughts."

Solaric waits to hear the opinion of the others and then after hearing their opinion, he steps to the side for a moment where he bends down on both of his knees and raises his hands in praise of Iomedae as he asks.

"Guide me now, blessed Inheritor to do what you would have me do. Let my every action, my every thought be for your will and the fulfillment of your kingdom in this realm. I ask you now for your divine guidance and divination to know and understand the consequences of this action I now prepare to take. Let your will be done in me and through in the eternal now! I ask this in your name!"

Solaric waits for some divine inspiration to touch him within from his beloved Iomedae in the hopes he is about to do what is the right decision.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric wakes up in the morning. After having breakfast in the Academy, Johenric moves to the library of the academy and tries to solve one of the three riddles:

Riddles:
a) Where sun and moon collide, water forms fluids to solid stones and mist enshrouds the slopes of a crowned stone.
- The crowned stone is the Kronstein Ridge?
After reading for several hours in the library of the Academy, more than once disturbed by the band of imps (books flying around, strange smells, small hallucinations, exploding rodents...), you manage to find out the first piece of one of the riddles. In older manuscript you find the term "Crowned Stone" referring to the mountains now known as Kronstein Ridge.

b) The deeper you descend, the darker this place remains during all times. In winter with roof in summer with visitors. In its centre a place where the noble one lies in state.

c) A crowned trail leading in the direction of the geese-flight in summer. Follow it until you reach the steaming delta, where imps play and wash, then look behind the blasted faces of old.

Spellcraft 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21
Knowledge Arcana 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Knowledge History 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Knowledge Local 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Knowledge Geography 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

No cost that he will notice, but what does that mean? A man may not notice the poison in his wine, but he will die just the same...


Clear laughter errupts from Lucretia's voice as a response to Narumek's misgivings.

The only thing the kneeling Solaric feels is a warm feeling in his chest, he isn't sure what that could mean, but it is a pleasant sensation.

Stephen has meanwhile taken a closer look at the sarcophagus and found an hourglass relief that is movable

we could turn that round. he says.

---------

@ JO: The other parts of the first riddle can't be solved by reading books, at least not now. You have to use common sense to find out what the rest could mean.


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Do not touch that, boy. Narumek says, pointing at Stephen with the stake.
Woman, creature, whatever you may be, speak now plainly and truthfully, or you shall be destroyed!

Discern Lies DC17

Grand Lodge

"Narumek, what do you sense? I have opened my heart to the blessed Inheritor. She guides me in my every move and at this moment I feel her abiding presence. I do not sense any reason we cannot accept Lucretia's aid. This could be the opportunity we need to help us bring peace to this kingdom. Look at the hour glass Stephen has noticed. I suspect that by turning the hour glass, we can reverse Lucretia's death and bring her back to aid us in our need. Do you sense any deception?"

Does Solaric sense any deception on Lucretia's part?
Sense Motive 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Zyren, this campaign has always had moral dilemmas. How does Solaric get himself into these positions?! I feel like Solaric is about to make the wrong decision, but I also think it is the decision he would make in this position. He has a clear conscious with his deity and he truly believes that this would help in the battle against the black onslaught of evil. However, like the three witches, I don't trust her one bit!


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Meanwhile, Victorias clockwork mind is working on building a better mousetrap.


Moral dilemmas-especially for our paladin are a central part of this campain :)

Lucretia smiles and her crimson lips almost have a hint of seduction...

I demand nothing from you. Just a tiny sacrifice of blood from my people...they will give it freely, I know it.

Stephen seems totally persuaded now

Yes, people could give a bit of their blood, that's surely better than dying on the battlements!

Both of you don't sense any deception or lies.

-------------
@ Vicky: It's already the next day, so if you need to make preparations...

Grand Lodge

Solaric looks to Stephen Livgrace and declares, "Your support encourages me, Livgrace! I do not like adding to the burden of the good people of this land, but this may be our best option. The Inheritor certainly works in mysterious ways! I just hope that our solution is not worse than the pain that is to come from the evil rising up against us."

Turning to Lucretia, Solaric speaks. "I am prepared to make this deal with you, Lucretia Livgrace. However, I ask that you show compassion to our people. I do not wish to see them suffer for years to come for this deed. I ask you to destroy the black evil that advances from the north and take the price you demand, but then let the debt be paid, and allow the people to heal and come to know a new realm of peace in Ustulav! Are we agreed?"


We are agreed, Sir Zekkaran and I take your word of honour as the glue that holds this agreement together. Lucretia says gravely, the lightness is now gone from her voice.

Livgrace smiles and looks at Narumek, waiting for his allowance to touch the hourglass.

Grand Lodge

Solaric looks to the others and then declares, "Then let it be so! Stephen, my friend, permit me. I will take responsibility for this matter. There is no need to burden yourself with this action. Should this price prove to high a price to pay, there should be nobody else to be held accountable other than myself."

Solaric steps forward and declares "Iomedae, let your kingdom come and your will be done!" The dark elf turns the hourglass.

"Lucretia Livgrace, I, Solaric Zekkaran, release you to destroy the evil onslaught and restore the peace that belongs to the people of Ustulav!"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Meanwhile Johenric thinking about the riddles sits in the Library...


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

I cannot tell. This place is strange and this woman stranger, but if she will abide by our laws, and work with us...I suppose I must allow it. he nods slowly. He keeps the stake ready just in case...


Stephen removes the hourglass and...nothing happens...at least nothing visible to the eye. Lucretía now rises into a sitting position and looks around

So this was my crypt for all the time? Funny, I thought it was much smaller. Now, all three of you, tell me: why are you here?!

Grand Lodge

Lucretia wrote:
"So this was my crypt for all the time? Funny, I thought it was much smaller. Now, all three of you, tell me: why are you here?!"

"Greetings, Lucretia! Do you not remember me?! I am Solaric Zekkaran, and I have freed you as promised so that you may fulfill your obligations and destroy the black evil that comes upon this land from the north!"


Lucretia rolls her eyes

I know who you are, I wanted to know what brings a descendant of mine, a priest of Iomedae and a Hellknight into this tomb?!

she climbs out of the sarcophagus, flexes her muscles and stretches

Much better than lying in this prison day in day out!

Grand Lodge

Relieved that Lucretia still remembers the agreement, Solaric explains how they came to enter this tomb.

"The countess Sassandra Livgrace has declared that a tournament be held here in Karcau. We are actually competing in that tournament. This portion is the horror mastery challenge. In fact just recently I smited down an evil flesh golem who inhabited a nearby chamber. If we are finished here, we should exit and return to the surface. Unfortunately, I suspect that Aramis may have locked us down here. Stephen, could you kindly check the door?"


Sasandra? What a cute name! She must be my grand-grand-daughter or something like that. Don't worry about this competition though. Return to the surface and tell the people whom you have met and I'm sure you will have won this childish thing. I'll stay here and search all these corridors...and cleanse them...

Grand Lodge

"Very well, Lucretia. We will therefore depart and await the outcome of your work. I bid you well in your task."

"Come along, Narumek, Stephen. Let's us depart!" Solaric proceeds up the stairs and follows his path back to exit from this chamber.


Stephen finds the opening still passable and soon you take the route out that Narumek and Aramis went in. It takes about a quarter of an hour until you reach the Academy square again.

You're the last ones to return and the other knights have already told what horrors they encountered in the depths and how they have mastered them.

The senior judge harrumphes as he notices you approaching

And what horrors have the three of you encountered and how have you mastered them?

Grand Lodge

Solaric bows before the senior judge and presents himself. "I, Solaric Zekkaran, return to you from the depths having smited down an evil flesh golem by sword. Secondly, I have spoken with Lucretia Livgrace and have made an arrangement with her. She has agreed to assist us in dealing with the evil that threatens our border on the north!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The judge nods in satisfaction

A wise decision, there are more than one way to master what we call horror. By my judgment, your whole group wins this contest!
the other knights applaud, only Aramis stands some paces away and glares at you...an expression you have seen more than once...

Only now you realize that you must have spent most of the night in the dungeon, maybe you should get some sleep now, before the next contest starts.

Current standings:

Wealday:
Joust (completed)
Bardic Performance (completed)
Archery (completed)

Oathday:
Defend the Castle (completed)
Horror Mastery (completed)

Fireday:
Horsemastery
One against the Juggernaut
Master of the Forge

Starday:
One vs One

Current Rankings:

Solaric Zekkaran 30
Narumek 22
Stephen Livgrace 12
Aramis de Voisseur 8

----------------

As the new morning dawns, it knocks at Cairn's door...a heavy knock demanding entrance now...


Male Human Hellknight 4 Bard 3 HP:71/71; AC:32/27/12

When you return to the temple, Flofer is fast asleep, ridiculously tangled in his blankets and snoring softly.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"He wont be making it to Starday" Victoria asserts. "Time to lure the rats to the trap" Victoria grabs her new Sczarni friend and starts heading towards the stables.

"Time to let a few rumours slip" she muses as she heads towards the stalls, looking to pull up just short of Aramais stables and keeping an eye out for his stablehands.


Male Varisian Human
Common Stats:
Init:7, Perc:16 // HP:82 // AC:19, Touch:14, FF:15 // F:10, R:11, W:5 // CMB:12, CMD:25

Cairn rolled over and grabbed his pistol out of his boot as the knock resounded through his room. He squinted against the sun's light and pulled on his trousers before asking Who's there?


Guess Victoria captured my post?! :)

Grand Lodge

Judge wrote:
"A wise decision, there are more than one way to master what we call horror. By my judgment, your whole group wins this contest!"

Well, let's see if they approve of what I've done once this deal with Lucretia has been struck! I really must talk to Victoria about this!

Solaric returns to the temple, removes his armor and sits down in a chair. Nearly falling asleep from his fatigue, Solaric wakes himself up, and kneels down on the floor by his bed where he takes a quiet moment to say his prayers and give thanks to his deity.

"Blessed Inheritor, You are with me always! In you, Iomedae, do I trust. Let me see in myself, and in my brother and sister, that which you would bless in your people. Your gift to me that I might know your ways! You have promised, O Inheritor, to hear when your children call! Harken, that I may be kept in the way, that I may know the glory you have prepared for me! You alone can keep my ways!"

"Today, I have awakened a being from long ago in the history of this land. I ask that you watch over your people and protect them from any evil that she may bring to them today and in their future."

"Let my mind, my body, my soul be at-one with you, that through your promises, I may know you more and more! Let this ever be so!"

Solaric climbs into his bed and falls fast asleep. The next morning, he will seek out Victoria before his first event.


Male Varisian Human
Common Stats:
Init:7, Perc:16 // HP:82 // AC:19, Touch:14, FF:15 // F:10, R:11, W:5 // CMB:12, CMD:25

At Victoria's urging Cairn hastily donned his fancy new duds. He placed his trusty musket in his haversack since it wouldnt jive with the get up but tucked his knife and pistol into his belt before exiting his room and joining up with the lady.

Whats the plan for today Victoria?


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Meanwhile Johenric stands up and moves outside to take a walk around the academy...


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Aramais is a cheat, and now he is a desparate one. He will be looking for any advantage he can gain that might help him claw back the lead, and the more potent the advantage then the more he wants it. Aramais needs to get ind of such a competitive edge, and so we must ensure that rumours soon reach his ears of a place that can offer undetectable magics and powerful potions to help him achieve his goals. The messages need to come by a friend, and we need to make sure the information changes hands enough that its hard to trace back to us."

"Knowing Aramais, he will skulk off with a trusted cohort and visit the place purported to offer such magics, and from there he will not return."

"We need to ensure that all of the party that travels with him go in, and the people there will ensure none come out"

"Then we begin creating smoke and obfuscation, lies and trickery, a wealth of misinformation to cover his tracks so that he truly disappears."

"It is for the greater good"


The Shark Pool's door flies open and Giacomo the bartender spontaneously grabs his broad dagger, but instead of Nightscarves or guards only sturdy Murna stopms into the Sczarni inn.

With wild eyes she looks around before she spots and Victoria

Terissa wants to speak with you, something has happened! the usual "tee-hee" is missing and the witch does look quite worried.

------------

The academy square is empty at this early hour of the day, only a family of brown ducks sits at the corner of the square, hoping that someone will feed them some bread.

------------


Male Varisian Human
Common Stats:
Init:7, Perc:16 // HP:82 // AC:19, Touch:14, FF:15 // F:10, R:11, W:5 // CMB:12, CMD:25

Cairn was just telling Victoria that it sounded like a busy day when the woman came barging into the Shark Pool.

And now it seems it just got busier M'lady.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"No matter Cairn, you and I have the tools to fix any problem I am sure" Victoria confidently arises and beckons Cairn follow. "What urgent news Sister? You can talk as we walk"


Male Varisian Human
Common Stats:
Init:7, Perc:16 // HP:82 // AC:19, Touch:14, FF:15 // F:10, R:11, W:5 // CMB:12, CMD:25

Cairn smiles at her assessment of their abilities and falls in behind the two ladies knowing from his many aunts that a young man does not interrupt women when their discussing 'things'.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Murna, this is Cairn, he is a new friend of good pedigree; Cairn, this is Murna, she is as a Sister to me. She makes a delicious pumpkin soup, I recommend you don't have any"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric collects some bread and takes place on a bench at the campus. While he feeds the ducks, he thinks about the riddles and it obvious that he shoulders a burden.


Murna puffs heavily as you leave the Shark Pool, she only nods to Cairn and quickly turns her attention back to Vicky

Terissa woke with a shriek last night...I thought she had just forgotten to get the pies out of the oven, but when I ran over to her room, she told me something of a new formidable power woken-up by some featherbrains, tee-hee. Then, the whole morning she was like We have to talk to Victoria, quick, get her......and even before I was able to have some breakfast she shooed me out... Murna seems genuinely annoyed by the early work she had to do.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Oh another matter has arisen that needs attending to? How nice... let us find out what terrible malady has befallen us now, then I need to get some ingerdients assembled for more soup"

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The following morning, Solaric walks the streets with his faithful mount, Dart, at his side. He breaths in the fresh air and smiles as he lives in the moment with abundant appreciation. He comes to the academy square and notes the birds.

"Took, took, took!" He calls out. "You will be taken care of in the kingdom to come, my feathered friends. The Inheritor thinks of all!"


How cute, Solaric and Johenric feeding the ducks :)

---------

Murna grins and as you walk through the city you are shocked to see how much playful mayhem this woman causes. Walking past stands with meat she transmutes pig snouts into cabbage, makes a fat man lose his trousers, some guards chasing a thief slip and so on....

Did I tell you how much we love living in a city? This desolate Jarovicha was soo boring...


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Not the time for it dear sister, now is time for grim actions and dark deeds, lest we clown around so long that Karkau becomes as dark as Jarovicha too. I wish that Countess would stop playing at her toy soldiers too and grant me that land and title already, the waiting is driving me up the wall"

Victoria is somewhat in a serious mood. There will be buckets of blood shortly, that is clear.


Tee-hee, you're right...what a shame...this war is so depressing.

Puffing heavily you reach the sister's home. Murna throws the door open and inside a strained terissa paces up and down in the taproom

Ah, there you are!

Terissa signals Merca to bring some drinks and grabs Victoria by the forearm

One of your feater-brained friends has awoken an ancient evil, one that may cause corruption inside the side. That drinks the blood of the living and has no shadow...


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Yes yes, I got that part about some awakened evil, but WHICH friend, WHICH evil, and what do you wish me to do about a vampire? I don't dabble in the undead, just the otherworldly"


A vampire, yes! But this one is special...because...because we played a minor part in its imprisonment..ahem...and now good old Lucretia might be a bit annoyed as soon as she finds out that we are still alive.

Lucretia? Murna asks The Lucretia you turned into a vampire, sister?

Terissa's face wents nearly purple Aww, you fat hag, can't you ever shut your mouth?

Grand Lodge

Is Solaric in the same time as everyone else? Is Johenric really in the square feeding ducks when Solaric enters? The dark elf is a little worried that he opened Pandora's box and would like to talk to some of his friends about it.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"So tell me more about this woman, Sisters, that I might be better appraised of her and perhaps calculate how she might be best handled"

"A Vampire. Interesting. DO you know about vampires at all Cairn?"


Yes, same time


Male Varisian Human
Common Stats:
Init:7, Perc:16 // HP:82 // AC:19, Touch:14, FF:15 // F:10, R:11, W:5 // CMB:12, CMD:25

Cairn hid the shock at the witch's proclamation of a vampire being loose.

Nay M'lady. I know nothing of the undead excepting the horror stories of my youth and wild tales that old men tell.

6,101 to 6,150 of 8,260 << first < prev | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Zyren's Heart of Light All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.