Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Zyren's Heart of Light

Game Master Zyrenity

An epic search for the Amethyst heptagon leads a party of fresh graduates through the northern reaches of Ustalav. Based in Karcau, the party visits places like the dark Castle Jarovich or the dangerous alleys of Carrion Hill.


5,901 to 5,950 of 8,260 << first < prev | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | next > last >>

Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Narumek runs up the stairs of the tower, ignoring the guard and his stick.

If there is time in the turn, Narumek grabs the ladder and pushes it over backwards.

Strength:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20


The guard hacks at the retreating Narumek

Guard attacking Narumek / Sword1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Damage1d8 ⇒ 5

but fails miserably and remains behind. Above him he can hear the yells of his companions as they fall off the ladder! Bruised and shaken they quit the event!

However, the other two pursue the dark knight and meet him on the tower roof

Guard attacking Narumek / Sword1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Damage1d8 ⇒ 4

Confirm / Sword1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Damage1d8 ⇒ 5

Guard attacking Narumek / Sword1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Damage1d8 ⇒ 6

Guess we don't need a map on the tower

--------------

Three nice ladies? Oh, you mean the innkeepers? Uh yeah, three sisters, but...ah well, let me show you the stable, okay?

the man points at the open stable door.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

While Johenric follows the Old man to the stable thinking if he has heart of three sisters with arcane power.

Prescience 1d20 ⇒ 17
Knowledge arcana 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

So in total 27

Or if he Knows a local myth...
Knowledge local 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Narumek slashes at the first guard, keeping the flag at his back.

Attack 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Damage:1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


The wooden sword nearly splinters as you hit your opponent with it right on the head. The man stumbles and falls, he's surely out of the competition and Narumek looks like the sure winner. Still, the man hopes to land a lucky punch and attacks

Guard attacking Narumek / Sword1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Damage1d8 ⇒ 1

----------

You have heard a tale of three man-eating witches living north of Karcau somewhere in this region. You can't remember any details but you think you heard Victoria speak about them.


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Hah! Try harder, little man! Narumek laughs, swinging his stick at the next man.

Attack 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
Damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Obviously I have to talk to Victoria about the man-eating witches.

Johenric prepares himself to rest this night; Ivy searches for spiders, insects.


With a powerful swing Narumek sends the next guard to his knees - the man holds his ribs and gaspes for air - he is surely out and the castle defended!

From afar the crowd cheers as the last ladder is thrown off the tower wall and the judges raise their black falgs to indicate that Narumek has won!

How do handle Solaric's competition? I think he is gone for some days/weeks?

--------

Farther north Johenric sleeps quite well inside the stable, Ivy however is unable to find an insect or small rodent...the stable is surprisingly clean.

The next morning, the two are woken up by the servant who knocks at the doorpost

Mornin' sir...where's your horse?


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric wakes up and suddenly he realizes the subject.

Well, I will bring it back...Thanks for your commitment....

And then a second thought flashes through his mind.

Do you know where I can get something to eat? And do you know a silent place where I can continue my studies?

And a third thought...

Did you meet the three beautiful ladies I have heard of?


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Narumek siezes his black flag and holds it aloft in triumph. He retires to wait for the next competition.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Victoria claps at the spectacle, genuinely entertained.


The man smoothes his goatee and begins to answer your questions in reversed sequence

The three...ladies...? Yeah, I met them...very...friendly - a place for your studies? I don't know much about your arts, but I guess a stable is not a good place, mhm? The next larger city is Karcau in the southwest. And if I may ask - how can you bring your horse back?

----------------

The fanfare blazons again and as Narumek leaves, the other knights continue the competition. No one is able to stem the tide and all fail more or less miserably.
At about noon only Aramis and Solaric are left and the Galtian noble begins. Full of confidence he climbs the castle wall, but he frowns as he notices that the guards have been exchanged! Six broad shouldered warriors with long red and blonde beards, all taller than 2m and with arms thick as thighs gather in front of the wall...they're chanting to Gorum and they absolutely look like no-nonsense...the battle is short and painful...after about about 3 minutes the flag is captured and the bunch of berserking guards have set the wooden castle on fire after they have thrown Aramis' bruised body off the tower...he is just lucky that the medics reacted quickly and momentarily begin to tend his wounds.

The crowd watches the spectacle in awe and disgust at once - no one had expected that this competition could end this way!


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Victoria can barely hide a look of smug satisfaction, like a cat that has just recently dined on an unfortunate mouse.

"Seems I am rather taken with dwarven diplomacy." she comments to Harl. "The woes are just beginning for him"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric takes a breath...

Well, I think it is not necessary to go into the details. Do you know how much time I need by horse to get to Karcau?

Once Johenric has received the response, he says goodbye and is looking for a place to study his spells for about 1 hour and to eat some ratios. Once he is done he will cast his phantom steed and travels to Karcau.


Human

Solaric watches with great interest and patience. Before he competes he takes a moment to give thanks and pray for his continued success.

"Well, blessed Iomedae, that leaves just myself. I thank you for my every victory! Let me continue to show your glory in everything that I do!"

Zyren, go ahead and post the battle mat. If I don't post within 24 hours, please allow Shifty, Johenric, or Narumek post my actions.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Gee Solaric, hope those men don't hang around for you!" Victoria offers with earnest concern. Only chuckling down her sleeve when he isn't looking.

"Poor Aramais, really wasn't his lucky day"


Human

"Agreed, your Grace. However, let us hope they will be on our side when Karcau goes to war! These soldiers will be a great asset to the kingdom. I am greatly concerned for the people of Karcau for the evil that threatens this land. Before all is done, the Countess Livgrace is going to need as much help as possible to keep Karcau the beacon of hope for Ustulav!"


The judges look a bit embarassed as Solaric dons his armour and draws his sword - the senior judge sighs and walks over to the dark-elf

Sir Zekkaran, never before has such a thing happened, the castle was burned down and the schedule does not allow us to build a new one...ahem...I...ummm, you are a sensible person and we all know that you are not "just the normal contender" in this competition...do you think we could just try to make it a "king of the hill" competition?

The crowd seems a bit worried too and all around Victoria people whisper and shrug while they observe the scene.

------------------------

You'll need another three days at least, m'lord.

the man explains you the way again and even warns you of a pack of hungry wyverns - surely a good thing to know!

Just ride back to Karcau or is there anything else you want to do?


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric will take some time to gather valuable information about the road to Karcau, the three ladies or the Kronstein ridge, assuming there are further people to talk to within the walled estate.


Human

"This sounds rather out of the ordinary, but in the interest of time, I will do what needs to be done. I only ask that you permit me, in my need, to open myself up to the healing energies of the blessed Inheritor as I would normally do in battles of this nature. I also would kindly ask that you permit me to use my own sword, but to sheath it in cloth to prevent me from fatally wounding my opponents. If we are agreed, then we may proceed at your earliest convenience."


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Victoria moves forward ready to interject if she doesn't agree with the changes to the schedule.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9
Johenric wrote:
Johenric will take some time to gather valuable information about the road to Karcau, the three ladies or the Kronstein ridge, assuming there are further people to talk to within the walled estate.

I forgot the skill roll

Diplomacy 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (5) + 16 = 21


The senior judge strokes his long grey beard and nods thoughtfully

It isn't your fault that the circumstances had to be changed - I agree with your proposal. Ready your sword and take the position on the hill.

He then walks over to one of his assistants and explains to him how the competition will go on.

---------------------

Sorry JO, but you and the stable guy are the only people there.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Then Johenric moves a little bit around observing the walled estate. After approx. 1 hour he cast phantom steed and starts his journey to Karcau.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Victoria settles back down, the changes meeting with her approval.


Human

Solaric draws his sword and shield and prepares for whatever may come.

"Blessed Inheritor, guide me now as I prepare to face those who would knock me down. Give me the strength right here right now!"

I'm in Bryce Canyon, Utah. Internet is sketchy but so far so good.


Battle Mat

The judge leads you to a low knoll next to the ruined makeshift castle. Here he plants the flag behind you and signals the battle to begin. Soon you are surrounded by five grim-looking guards - without Ulfen roots!

Like Narumek you have won the initiative and may begin

--------

@ Jo: The journey will take a bit now.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Ok. Please let me know when Johenric can do something...


Human

Round 1

"Mighty Inheritor. You are my guide! Now grant me the power to overcome these foes!"

Solaric casts Bless upon himself and draws his sword, awaiting to swing it at the first to challenge him.

Is Solaric on a hill where he has the higher ground? What advantage does the higher ground give? Is the scroll icon indeed a flag that he is defending?


@ JO: You will reach Karcau on the end of the current day - do you intend to do something else than riding on the journey back?

--------------

@ Solaric: Yes, all squares around the flag are treated as higher ground granting you a bonus of +1 to attacks.

The flag is just there to indicate where the hill is.

Slowly the guards draw nearer - all of them have heard of Solaric's prowess and none of them is stupid enough to attack on his own...

Battle Mat


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

At high noon Johenric takes a small break. Sitting between a few trees he takes out the chronicles and starts to read. After a couple of minutes he closes the book...

Ivy, what do you think? Do you think we will be able to resolve the riddles here? I guess this is all what it is about: understanding of the complex miracles in this world.

For half an hour Johenric leans back, relexes and enjoys the sound of the nature...


Human

Round 2

Solaric quickly moves to F12 and slashes down at the foe at G13.

Longsword 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26
Damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

"I mean you no harm, but I cannot permit you to win! The Inheritor will see to that!"


The poor man is surprised and far too late he tries to raise his sword in defense. Your weapon is only partially deflected and the blunt blade hits the guard's shoulder and numbes it.
Quickly the other guards swarm you

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 2 = 25
Damage1d8 ⇒ 5

Confirm1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 2 = 25
Damage1d8 ⇒ 8

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 2 = 26
Damage1d8 ⇒ 4

Confirm1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 4 + 2 = 22
Damage1d8 ⇒ 1

lol

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 2 = 8
Damage1d8 ⇒ 7

Confirm1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 = 9
Damage1d8 ⇒ 7

Gorum is clearly on the guards' side!

Battle Mat

------------------

Victoria Perception DC 20:

While you intently watch Solaric's fight, there's suddenly something in the corner of your eye that gives you a cold shudder - a hooded figure, clad in dark tattered robes, sitting inmidst of the spectators in the stands. As you turn around he is already gone, but the bad feeling remains.

-----------------

As you close the book, there is a sudden, very violent gust of cold wind...even the book feels cold now and dark clouds gather at the northern sky.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Perception 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17

Victoria is rather fixedly watching the match...


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric having the dark clound focused casts his steed and rides towards Karcau...


Male Human Hellknight 4 Bard 3 HP:71/71; AC:32/27/12

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Flofer joins Victoria clumsily, rubbing sleep from his eyes.

Oh, what did I miss, Miss Victoria?


Human

Round 3
hp 51/55

The dark elf skillfully deflects several blows with his shield and gracefully swings his longsword down again on his opponent.

Solaric continues attacking G13.

Longsword 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18
Damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


With a large bruise on his forehead the man goes down - he'll surely have some headache later.

The others do not waver and keep attacking, even though they slowly realize that their skill is just not enough to best the dark-elf

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 4 + 2 = 17
Damage1d8 ⇒ 4

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 = 9
Damage1d8 ⇒ 7

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 = 9
Damage1d8 ⇒ 3

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 2 = 10
Damage1d8 ⇒ 3

Battle Mat


Human

Round 4
hp 51/55

Solaric presses on with his attack (G12), but tries to talk to them as he does so.

"I need to ask you, do you all take time each day to look within and listen to the voice of the Inheritor? If you learn to listen to her, you may someday feel her strength flowing through you."

Longsword 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23
Damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Victoria fidgets, clearly wanting Solaric to secure victory quickly.


The guards are far too concentrated on fighting to answer, still Solaric easily cuts through their defences. The hit one grimaces and hisses ridiculous, we can't beat him!, another one answer you should be happy, he is going to defend our walls when the war begins.

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 2 = 26
Damage1d8 ⇒ 7

Confirm1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 2 = 10
Damage1d8 ⇒ 7

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 2 = 20
Damage1d8 ⇒ 5

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 = 12
Damage1d8 ⇒ 3

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 2 = 19
Damage1d8 ⇒ 6


Human

Round 5

"Nice hit, young man! That is the way to do it!"

Solaric lays his hand upon and wound and as a swift action heals it.

Lay on Hands 1d6 ⇒ 2
hp 49/55

He then swiftly swings his longsword at his center opponent ( G12 ).

Longsword 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13
Damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Who parries the blade and is so stunned by his own skill that he forgets to attack

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 2 = 26
Damage1d8 ⇒ 8

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 = 11
Damage1d8 ⇒ 1

Guard attacking Solarik / Sword1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 2 = 26
Damage1d8 ⇒ 2


Human

"Very nice, my comrades! If you fight like this when the enemy comes, the Inheritor will smile down upon you!"

Round 6

Solaric quickly lays hands upon his wounds and heals the cuts.

Lay on Hands 1d6 ⇒ 3
hp 42/55

He continues his attack against his opponent (G12) with a quick slash of his sword.

Longsword 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30
Damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Confirm Critical 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
Damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

If the guard falls, Solaric calls to the judges,"Be sure that this man gets healing! Nobody need die in this tournament!"


There was a flicker of hope when two of the guards hit, but this flicker was momentarily drowned by your shattering blow. His nose broken and ruined the guard falls to the ground and the three remaining ones quickly exchange questioning gazes - then the oldest one, surely a sergeant, lowers his wooden sword

Sir Zekkaran, it's not good to fight against someone who is so obviously in the favour opf the Inheritor. then he turns to the judges and shouts We don't want to take that hill, solaric Zekkaran is the winner.

The crowd is surprised for a moment, but then they start to cheer and applaud - this contest has two winners and the senior judge gives the points that lead to the current standing:

Wealday:
Joust (completed)
Bardic Performance (completed)
Archery (completed)

Oathday:
Defend the Castle (completed)
Horror Mastery
Overcomer of Wizards

Fireday:
Horsemastery
One against the Juggernaut
Master of the Forge

Starday:
One vs One

Current Rankings:

Solaric Zekkaran 22
Narumek 14
Aramis de Voisseur 8
Stephen Livgrace 4


Human
Guard wrote:
"Sir Zekkaran, it's not good to fight against someone who is so obviously in the favour opf the Inheritor." then he turns to the judges and shouts "We don't want to take that hill, Solaric Zekkaran is the winner."

"I am honored to have faced such worthy opponents! May the blessed Inheritor guide you and give you strength always! Let us ever be mindful of her presence, especially in the days to come!"

Solaric removes his helmet, turns and clasps each of the guard's hands in thanks. He then raises both of his arms and turns to acknowledge the crowds with a smile and a wave.

Next, Solaric will look for a healer to help him cure his wounds without him exhausting all of his spells and channelling.


There are plenty of healers officially charged with aiding the wounded. Soon your wounds are tended and you feel refreshed. The next competition - Horror Mastery - is going to take place soon and it is one of the most prestigious events of the tournament.


Human

"Thank you for the healing, my sister!" Solaric addresses his healer. "I am already feeling much better as my strength returns. I must now prepare for the next event!"


Male Human Hellknight 4 Bard 3 HP:71/71; AC:32/27/12

Nice fighting Solaric! Flofer says, coming down onto the field. Horror mastery? Solaric, I'll help you prepare, but I'm...I'm not sure I want to watch that one... What kind of horrors do you think there will be?


Human
Flofer wrote:
"Nice fighting Solaric! Flofer says, coming down onto the field. Horror mastery? Solaric, I'll help you prepare, but I'm...I'm not sure I want to watch that one... What kind of horrors do you think there will be?"

"My dear, Flofer, you need to have a little more backbone! The next event will involve the horrors of Ustulav which will likely me be any sort of undead or werewolf. These monsters have become legend in this country and it is the expectations that any knight of Karcau be able to handle themselves against such creatures."

5,901 to 5,950 of 8,260 << first < prev | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Zyren's Heart of Light All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.