Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Zyren's Heart of Light

Game Master Zyrenity

An epic search for the Amethyst heptagon leads a party of fresh graduates through the northern reaches of Ustalav. Based in Karcau, the party visits places like the dark Castle Jarovich or the dangerous alleys of Carrion Hill.


5,851 to 5,900 of 8,260 << first < prev | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

Harl can always go Warhammer dwarf and slay him as part of a grudge. But, that would result in Harl also slaying everyine that Aramis knows...nice thing about Warhammer is that there is no pesky alignments getting in the way of honor, lol.

"I'm sure that is true, Vic.", Harl says with a smirk.


Early in the morning, the city is woken up by the industrious preparations on the fields south of Karcau. Since dawn, craftsmen of all trades have worked on a makeshieft castle on a hill. The small construction, made of wood and canvas, now really resembles a small copy of a real castle and the banners of Sinaria fly above its battlements.

Barkers march wander through the streets and announce the next part of the competition

Defend the castle! Come and attend the "defend the castle" competition at 10 AM! Come and see if Sir Zekkaran can maintain his position! Narumek and Aramis only wait for a mistake of the dark elf! Come to the tournament grounds!

---------------

Yes, we searched the castle and all valuables are already on the way to Karcau. The strange things? the soldier thinks for a moment mhmm, you better aks the villagers, I only heard rumours. Why don't you go to the tavern and ask the people? An' you like like you could need a drink anyway.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

I will follow your advice. Two additional questions: a) Do you know the fastest option back to Karcau? and b) may I ask for your name? I ask, because depending on what I figure out the countess respective myself need a reliable person...

Once the Soldier has answered the questions, Johenric moves to tavern and say:

Thank you very much for your help.


Solaric proceeds to the site of Defend the Castle and looks around to gather what information he can about this event.

Diplomacy, Gather Information 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33

"My dear judge, can you clarify the rules for this next event. Is my job simply to defend this keep from any and all intruders through the use of sword and courage? Is there anything that I should know that I am currently unaware of?"


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"I reckon there's a few things he's unaware of" Victoria chuckles to Harl.


"Well met, my dear Victoria. I have been so busy with my competition that I have hardly had a chance to see you in the past few days. How are you doing? I believe Aramis has not cheated as of yet and hence he is losing thus far, but I will remain vigilant as always."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Speak of the devil! Once his name was mentioned suddenly Aramis turns up between the stands and grins broadly. He seems over-selfconfident and walks around like he was already the winner of this competition.

Meanwhile the judge has sorted his notes and regulations for this event and answers

Ah, sir Zekkaran. It's a great honour to meet you. Humbly I will explain to you how this competition works: You will defend the castle behind you with a wooden sword - since we don't want real casualties. Our expert observers of Pettoria guild can easily judge how lethal a blow would have been if the weapon was real and so they will signal us, when one of the attackers or the defender is "dead". You will be attacked by two groups of three men each who have ladders and try to storm your castle.

------------

The guard harrumphes and introduces himself

Gordren's the name, meister wizard. The fastest way back to Karcau is surely the old trade road on horseback.

With this information you leave the castle and move down the hill into the village proper. The streets are muddy and a cold wind blows down from the mountain slopes. The tavern is a sturdy building made of stone and looks quite impressive for the rather shabby village. The name sign has recently been removed and as you look through the open front door you see two red-faced men having an argument in front of the bar.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric walks beside the two men, takes a seat on the bar stool. He tries to identify the topic of this argument.

What time do we have? Forenoon?


No, you're still a day behind - time rift :) - it's evening now

As soon as you enter the men fall silent and only glare at each other. The older one, a bald and broad shouldered man, shakes his head and leaves the tavern without saying anything further.


Judge wrote:
"Ah, sir Zekkaran. It's a great honour to meet you."

"The honor is all mine. Indeed you have an important job here in this tournament. I will trust to your wise judgement and deep sense of righteousness."

Judge wrote:
"Humbly I will explain to you how this competition works: You will defend the castle behind you with a wooden sword - since we don't want real casualties. "

"Naturally, we don't want any casualties or even injuries of any sort. Now, tell me, will I be permitted to toss the ladders down off of the walls to prevent the intruders from reaching the keep, or is it expected that I should simply deal with them once they arrive? Also, will I have other defenders assist me in the task, or will I stand as a lone knight defending the castle from the enemy?"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric introduces himself to the men remaining in the tavern.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (12) + 16 = 28

Hello, my name is Johenric. I could not avoid to recognize the argument you had with the broad shouldered man...may I ask what the subject has been?


Sir Zekkaran, the more enemies, the greater the personal honour. You will have to defend the castle alone, but you are allowed to toss the ladders down off the wall - some bruises are no problem for the city guard, heh. Do you have any further questions?

------------

The man shrugs, but then your friendly words lighten his mood and he smiles

Don't worry about that. He is my uncle and he wants me and my family to leave for the safety of Karcau. He is sure that no one is safe anymore in Jarovicha with all those monsters roaming through the region. But sorry, looks like I lost my manners: Welcome to the unnamed tavern - you're new here, aren't you?


Judge wrote:
"Sir Zekkaran, the more enemies, the greater the personal honour. You will have to defend the castle alone, but you are allowed to toss the ladders down off the wall - some bruises are no problem for the city guard, heh. Do you have any further questions?"

"I am nearly set, but I have some remaining questions. How is a winner determined? Do I need to defend a flag or an item, or am I trying to hold off intruders for the longest period of time. How will I know when I have won?"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Thank you for your welcome. Yes I arrived...recently. I am in service of Countess Livgrace and therefore I am interested in the rumors about the strage things going on here in Jarovicha. Do you know anything?

And after a second, he adds.

I assume you are the owner of this tavern? Do have insects or spiders in your cellar?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Once all attackers are "dead" you have won and defended the castle. The attackers win if they are able to tear all banners from the battlements. Any further questions, Sir Zekkaran?

------------

Hmm? Yeah, I'm the owner, or let's say licensee. The tavern belongs to the new lay of Jarovicha, like all other buildings in the village. Strange things going on in Jarovicha? You mean besides the hordes of monsters lurking in the dark, heh? We don't have any other rumours here - oh wait - some villagers claim that there are still undead living in the dungeons below the castle. Undead that were created by Count Jarovich.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Thank you for the information. I will leave, thanks and good luck with your business!

Johenric leaves the tavern and walks around in the village. He opens his eyes to "strange things".

In addition Ivy will search for food (spiders, insects).

After one hour he walks back to the soldier Gordren.


Ivy finds a dead mice - not a delicacy but better than nothing. Of the strange things you can't see anything and so you wander back to Gordren in the castle.

Ah, meister wizard, couldn't you find the tavern?


Judge wrote:
"Once all attackers are "dead" you have won and defended the castle. The attackers win if they are able to tear all banners from the battlements. Any further questions, Sir Zekkaran?"

"No further questions, your honor! We may commence at your word."


Very good! The competition will begin in some minutes - let me take a look at the schedule... the judge opens his leather messenger bag and takes out a ledger Ah yes...you're no. 12 - pretty much the last one in the whole competition. Sir Stephen Livgrace will start, followed by Narumek and then... the judge names the sequence of the whole event and ends with your name. I hope you are well prepared, no one has ever managed to defend the castle by now.


"I will do my best, for my life is guided by the Inheritor. If she wills it, then trust me, the castle will be defended!"

While Solaric awaits his turn, he looks around to see if the Countess Livgrace has shown up to watch the event.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Come on and start already, I need to know whether Dwarven Diplomacy has a lasting effect on its victims" Victoria asides to her friends.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Well Gordren, I did find the tavern. As I want to go back to Karcau, do you have a group of soldiers marching to Karcau? In case yes, I want to accompany.


Gordren takes his helmet off and scratches his head

Troops mraching back to Karcau? That's very unlikely, meister wizard. They only send troops here, don't order them back. If you really want to return to Karcau, I fear you have to do it on horseback.

------------

you look around and just as the fanfare horns blazon, signalling the beginning of the competition, the countess appears accompanied by Dumitru and the academy masters. While her relative is already on the battlements trying to defend his castle.

Sasandra spots you amongst the waiting knights and winks at you, while she keeps her air of authority.


Solaric cannot help but smile to himself at the sight of Sassandra Livgrace winking at him.

Ahhhhh! I am so blessed that such a magnificent woman has come into my life! Let us hope that some day soon we will be together!


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Gordren gets the impression that after "horse" has been mentioned, Johenric's brain starts to realize and he becomes somehow a little bit stunned...but obviously a lot of questions start to emerge in his mind...

I understand. Do you explain me in detail the route? Do you have a horse which I can use? Anything I need to consider?....


A horse for you...ummm...do you have some money? I can surely find you a cheap one. The route is no problem, I can explain it to you, you just have to...

------------

Stephen Livgrace is unable to defend his castle and soon two enemies have climbed his walls and torn down his banner. But he is a good sport and congratulates the city guards to their good attack.

The judges now call for Narumek

The black flag is flying, where is Narumek?

it echoes over the tournament field.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Yes, Narumek, let us have one more player well ahead of that great buffoon Aramais"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric thanks the soldier and walks back to the tavern where he takes a room for the night. During the night he tries to identify the next riddle. In the morning he prepares himself (equipment), studies his spells and says goodbye to the Gordren.

At the gate he casts phantom steed and travels back to Karcau...


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Leaving his sword on his saddle, Narumek steps forward in his black armor and walks over to the 'castle'. Picking up his wooden sword, he taps it disdainfully on his shield. Let us play with sticks then, I will beat your guard with them...


Turning to Victoria, Solaric comments "Watch this black knight, Narumek. He is good at everything he does. Once this tournament is over, he could become quite an ally to our cause. I'm not sure that I approve of his favorite color, but if he fights for the cause of good, then I certainly cannot complain at his appearance."


As Narumek turns up, the judge gives the starting signal and a hornblower sounds a deep tone - the battle for the castle has begun!

Quickly the guards rush into position and the black knight to the battlements.

Narumek is treated as if he had won the initiative.

Battle Mat

-----------------

Somewhere far north, a lone wizard rides to Karcau and remains hopefully unseen by the monsters around him...


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Ivy, did Gordren mention Monsters...I guess I have no choice, the decsion about the world will be solved when the group moves together and acts to solve the riddles.

When Johenric does not ride his phantom steed, he tries to identify additional riddles in the Chronicles of the Heptagon.

Knowledge Arcana 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
Knowledge History 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Knowldge Geography 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Spellcraft 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Narumek raises his hands and four small orbs of light shoot out towards the guards. Cast dancing lights At his command, each one hovers directly in front of the eyes of one of the four guards, moving with them.

Do they have ladders?

Narumek the Unforgiving draws his wooden sword and points it at the attackers, calling out.
When this stick is broken on your skulls, I will continue with my fists! he says, clenching his wicked spiked gauntlets.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14

Come, and let me break you!


Funnily enough Narumek's words never reach the guards...they still echoe inside his helmet... The guard "attacked" by the lights howls in fear and screams

He is a witcher! Arghl! turns and flees - his comrades however are not so scared and continue to carry the ladders closer to the wall.

Battle Mat

-------------

While Johenric's loyal steed gallops back to Karcau, its industrious rider is flipping through the old tome trying to find new riddles...


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Narumek redirects the orb to another guard. 4 orbs, one per guard with the one nearest Narumek free.

Move to R9.

DM Zyren, is the flag on the tower?


The orbs can't be farther away than ten feet from each other. I guess you take the southern group then?

As the orbs of light begin to dance around the guards, the men are too distracted to put their ladder against the wall. Trying to fight the lights they lose the momentum of their approach. But the other ones manage to place their ladder and begin the advance upwards.

Battle Mat

---------

When will Harl be back?


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

I think another day-ish?


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Yes the lights on the southern group.

Narumek takes out a rope and tosses it on the walkway of the ramparts, keeping one end in his hand.

Throw towards N9 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


Quickly the men climb out and soon the first attacker is on the battlements. From the southern group one man is able to flee from the dancing lights, he reaches the wall but without the ladder, he won't be able to get up.

Battle Mat


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

How high is the tower? How high are the walls?

Narumek motions with his hand, and the rope snakes up around the guard's ankle to his body, quickly tying him up.

DC 20 acrobatics or 23 strength to escape.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

/drinks wine, eats cheese, enjoys show.

As does Harl. Except with mead, and meat.


Acrobatcis1d20 ⇒ 15

The attacker tries to step away, but the rope snakes around his ankle and a moment later he falls from the wall into the courtyard of the castle. He's out for the rest of the competition, but the next one is already on the wall.

The walls are 4m high, the tower 5m

Battle Mat


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

How high are the ladders?

Move to W9.

Narumek casts dancing lights again and sends them dive bombing at the guards as they try to climb the ladder.


Irritated by the new attackers, but a a bit used now to the trick, the guards stop climbing but don't fall off the ladder.

The other guard comes running at Narumek shouting an Ulfen battlecry.

The ladders are about 5.5m high

Battle Mat

---------------

After about half a day of riding Johenric spots a strange sight: Next to the road is a walled estate. Behind the large iron gate are some outbuildings but what is most disturbing is that where the main building should have been is just an empty area. Clearly you can see that there must have been a house recently since the ground is devoid of grass and vegetation but there are no other traces of a building - it looks like the house has stood up and flown away...


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric stops his steed and observes the situation for a while.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

He casts detect magic and wonders.

This looks strange...


There are no direct traces of magic, but somehow you feel the echo of a strong source of magic that was here not long ago. As you ponder about the implications of your spell, a young man with a goatee comes out of one of the outbuildings and greets you

Hey sir, are ye looking for the inn?


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Narumek slashes at the man's face with the wooden sword, and takes a step back up the tower stairs. X9

Attack 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
Damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Ah...

Obviously Johenric is drawn back into reality, which might be considered as humanely.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (18) + 16 = 34

Well....Ah....my name is Johenric. I am traveling back to Karcau....how is this walled estate called? Did anything change with the buildings here recently?


Uh yeah - the house vanished! the man syas with his arms extended I worked here for three nice ladies, they told me they would return soon. If you want to stay for the night, you can take the stable...by the way, yer horse looks...umm...like a fine beast.

----------------

The man stumbles backwards and nearly falls off the wall. He regains his balance though and attacks

Guard attacking Narumek / Sword1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Damage1d8 ⇒ 7

Confirm / Sword1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Damage1d8 ⇒ 1

Behind him his companion closes the distance and you hear the metallic sound of the ladder being hooked into the battlements.

Battle Mat


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Well, that is incredible. Did the three nice ladies have introduced themself to you?

Nearly directly after he has finshed the question, it looks like he did stop talking. When the man started to answer Johenric suddenly adds:

I appreciate your offer and I accept it. Thank you...

Now Johenric looks a little bit sheepish as he has interrupted the man...

5,851 to 5,900 of 8,260 << first < prev | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Zyren's Heart of Light All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.