Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Zyren's Heart of Light

Game Master Zyrenity

An epic search for the Amethyst heptagon leads a party of fresh graduates through the northern reaches of Ustalav. Based in Karcau, the party visits places like the dark Castle Jarovich or the dangerous alleys of Carrion Hill.


5,751 to 5,800 of 8,254 << first < prev | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | next > last >>

The judge raises his arms and one by one the other contestants fire their arrows after Narumek. Everyone passes into rd 2 even though Narumek is not the only one who had to use one of his gilded arrows.

The judges now extinguish some of the torches and move the hay bale some metres away (now 30m and DC 12).

Narumek is the first to shoot and hits the bale without problems. Now it's Solaric's turn. One per round is enough :)

-----

Johenric's spell unravels the magical fabric around the door and soaks up the power of the warding spell. It should be safe to open the door now.

------------

Isabel smiles and leads you and Kirk back to the entrance

Best of luck for the two of you - If you need further help, Kirk knows where to find me.


Solaric steps forth and pulls and arrow from his quiver. Drawing it upon his bow, he pulls it back to his ear and concentrates.

"Blessed Inheritor, guide this arrow that it may strike true upon its target. Let your will be done!"

Longbow 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

The dark elf let's the arrow loose and it flies to its mark.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric casts detect magic and observes the room and the door to be on the safe side.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Back to the party, looking for those not engaged in the actual event... time for a manhunt


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

Harl is still lurking near Solaric if you need to find him.


Male Human Hellknight 4 Bard 3 HP:71/71; AC:32/27/12

Last seen stumbling away into the city.


Aramis grins as his gaze follows Solaric's arrow

Not bad, elfling - but I guess you will run out luck once the targets become harder to hit, mhm?

Then he also nocks an arrow and aims

Aramis attacking Hay Bale 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Piece of cake!

After the other contestants have also fired and the first one has lost all his gilded arrows, the bale is drawn further away (50m) and even more torches are extinguished

AC 14 - 13 for Solaric

-----

The door is void of any magic now - you guess it should be safe - at least when it comes down to magical traps.

-----

Victoria meets Harl at the archery range of Pettoria academy where the flickering torches bathe everything in a mysterious shadow play.


Solaric draws his bow and takes aim. "Blessed Inheritor, let us show these folks your glory! Guide this arrow that it may strike true!"

Longbow 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

"Where you slink off to, Vic?", Harl says at spotting his friend.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"To find out about what Aramais is really about. Turns out that he's a bastard pretender just like I thought, although that is less important as he's not holding a winning hand, what IS important is that he has mercenaries infiltrating the City Guard. Can't suppose that has good intentions written on it. I have a lead though, fancy talking a walk to have a pleasant conversation with some Ulfen?" Without really waiting for a response, she half nods [b]" Thought so, bring your blade"

And anyone else who wants to come. With that, time to go have a chat to this commandery type


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

A broad grin splits the hairy face of the grizzled dwarf and he hikes his shield. "Time to introduce some them northern fellas to their favored brand of diplomacy." Harl readies himself quickly and moves out with Victoria.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"I don't suppose for a minute they have a gentle way about them, seems hard knocks is their prefered term of endearment"


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

"They respects it that is for certain. Deeds, not words is their way. When we get their let me start the fight....uh,err, negotiations. Bah, they're likely the same thing from what I remember of trading with their kind."


Hey Narumek, hope you saw Solaric's shot - I think he's much better with the bow than you!

Aramis shouts.

------

Victoria and Harl make their way though moonlit Karcau to the barracks of the city guard - a long, rather low building that huddles against the northern city wall. Some of the windows are lit, but most of the guards are either on duty or already asleep.

A young conscript stands watch at the main entrance of the structure.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric encompasses his Staff and moves to the door, surrounded by dancing lights. After a deep breath, his fingers moves to the door knob and opens the door, ready to enlighten the room with his lights.


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

"You want me to handle this welp or do you want to, Vic?"


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"You start, best to start off strong, we can always be more pleasant afterwards. If we start off too pleasant they might confuse politeness for weakness"


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

Marching directly toward the youth, the heavily armored dwarf steps right up the guard and says, "Who's in charge of this billet?", in a gruff and demanding tone. Without waiting a moment he adds, "WELL! Are going to answer or stand there like the village idiot?"


Waiting for Narumek.

-----

The door opens with a low squeal - and...there's no trap. You sigh in relief and enter the small study behind it. The room is dominated by a large ebony king-size bed, a closet and a desk made of the same material. Violet carpets lie on the ground and a painting showing a swampy landscape hangs above the bed.

-----

The young guard nearly falls over backwards as the grumpy dwarf bellows at him

I...uh mean, not I...surely not I - it's quartermaster Lector Stradi who is in charge, sir!


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric enters the room and takes some time to get an impression of the interior respective if he identifies something important.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

After this he closes the door behind him and casts detect magic.


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

"Then let's get to seeing him then! Lead the way before your short lived kind passes and I have to wait for his son to come of age." Harl says as he treats the boy as he would Flofer. Spinning him around and giving him shove in the right direction.


As the bale of hay is moved further back, Solaric takes his next shot at it!

"Blessed Inheritor, guide this arrow true as your will is done."

Longbow 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


There are no obvious trasures in the room, but as you switch into the meta-magic-sight you suddenly notice a purple vapor drifting through the room.

Pass a Fort save DC 15

-----------

The young guard isn't even able to answer and just stammers

Yes sir! I...we...follow me!

then he leads you into the barracks, past two guard quarters and a small armoury to the office of Lector Stradi.

That's his room, master dwarf!

the boy says proudly.

-----------

Narumek's arrow whirls through the darkness and hits the bale in its centre.

The judge nods and signals to his helpers to rearrange the bales.

For the next round the target is 200 ft away and its armour class is 16 - 14 for Solaric


For some reason, I did not think to roll for Narumek and thought that I was rolling for Solaric for when he made his latest shot. Do I need to roll again?


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Victoria smiles with appreciation at the Dwarfs subtle tones of diplomatic finesse.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric reads the structure of time and dimensions....

Prescience 1d20 ⇒ 16
Fort DC 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Taking the Prescience dice his Fort-Save shows 16+5 = 21... 4 Uses left this day.


We take the last roll for Narumek, but you may then start with the next round.

----

Johenric coughs, but the magical vapor only forces him to yawn once - this must have been some sort of sleep trap. Now that it slowly dissipates you can concentrate on the other magical auras in the room. These is one inside the closet and the painting emanates a strong one.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Detect Magic through the door first, then enter... (Detect Poison too!)


"Blessed Inheritor, by the guiding light of your presence, let me be at one with you!"

Solaric takes aim and fires his longbow at the bale of hay once again.

Longbow 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

"That's enough. You've done an excellent job. Now get back to your post before someone thinks that your absent without cause. Go, Go, Go.", Harl says as roughly handles the youth again spinning him around in coupleof circles then pushing off down the hall. "If any suspicious looking fancy men come calling, do not let them in!", he calls after the guard. Harl cast Vic a wink, "How you wanna handle it from here? We takin' care of this fella or switchin' him to our side?"


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Johenric starts to investigate the closet, followed by the painting.

Any Skill to roll?


Hellknight 4, Bard 2

Narumek fires another bolt, but misses the target again.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

He hands over his [last?] golden arrow.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Well we can play it as we find it, though such a man can't be trusted by anyone, seems he is quite happy to take coin to sell out his current paying employer, no point in us expecting any real loyalty toward us once we had him onside. I suspect this might be a bit more blunt than he'd have liked, but we need information and names, and he will divulge them to us. I will try and break his mind and will, and if the gods are merciful then this will be all the suffering he feels as he succumbs to the warmth of magical embrace; if not then you might have to break something more tender with something far less warming."


@ Narumek: Yup, last gilded arrow now.

-------------

When Victoria opens the door, you're quite surprised by the scene behind it - a sturdy man in his forties with a large scar running over the back of his hand, pulls up his trousers while a maid gathers up her skirt and tries to get it in order. The man needs only a second to roar

Who are you!? I told the guard commander that I'm working on advanced cavalry strategies!

-------------

@ JO:

Do you just open the closet?


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9
Johenric wrote:
Johenric starts to investigate the closet...

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Assuming the investigation does not bring any result, Johenric opens the closet.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Does Johenric know anything about secrets in the academy?

Knowledge Local 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Knowledge Arcana 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Knowledge History 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

"Shut yer trap, pig-kin!", Harl roars right back as slams the door and bolt. "I'll cut you and that "horse" of yer's down right now un less ye be hearing the lass here out. GOT IT!" Letting his fine, dwarven waraxe slide into a comfortable position in his hand, Harl glares at the two manlings before him.

Dwarven Diplomacy (Intimidate) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"First things first"

Hex:Slumber on the maid.

DC17 Will or take a nap.


Will save1d20 - 2 ⇒ (17) - 2 = 15

I...uuuhh

the girl slumbs to the ground while the blanched soldier sits down on his stool

Please - what do you want, there's no need for that axe!

the man seems genuinely terrified by your axe and doesn't even realize that the maid just became unconscious.

------

There are innumerous stories about strange things happening at Vizyalesh acedemy, but you've never heard of an enchanted picture. However, as you take a closer look at the closet you notice a coat of arms you have already seen before - it is the one of the Jarovich family.


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

Once Johenric has noticed the coat of arms, he moves his head towards the enchanted picture and finally he takes a closer investigation on the picture as well.

Prescience 1d20 ⇒ 11
Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
In total 19 and 3 uses of prescience left

In addition Johenric asks himself if he knows the scene or the person mentioned on the picture.

Knowledge local 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Knowledge Arcana 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Knowledge History 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"You know full well why we are here, so please do not waste our time any further. We are here about your business arrangements" Victoria paints a warm smile upon her face...

Hex:Charm DC17


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

Seeing the route Victoria plans to take, the dwarf eases back on the threatening gestures and prepares to support her approach now that have the human's attention.


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

Dont get too cosy; one cannot make an omlette without breaking a few eggs


Will save1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

The soldier regains some of his self-confidence and answers

Business agreements, what the hell are you talking about?

Then he raises his voice and says

I get it, you're not here in some kind of official mission, you are just some mercenaries, eh?

----

The painting shows a swamp - a forlorn place. Snow still clings to the branches of weeping willows and the pale disc at the grey sky seems to bestow neither warmth nor much light. As you look closer you can also make out some small huts, the foot of a mountain range and a small castle at the very right side of the painting.

Knowledge Geography could help


Male Half-Elf Wizard/9

This picture reminds me of something....or somewhere...

Knowledge Geography 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19


Narumek takes his last gilded arrow and fires it.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Female Tiefling (Succubi) Witch HP:57/57, - AC: 11/T:11/FF:10 - Percep: +15(Dark Vision) F: +3/R: +3/W: +8 - CMB: 3 - CMD: 14, Speed: 30ft, Init: +1 Witch 8

"Harl, omlettes" then as an afterthought "Just not his jaw, I need him to be able to talk"

"Oh we aren't mercenaries, mercenaries get paid. We're here for our own reasons... and unfortunately your dealings with Aramais interfere with our purpose"

"Anyhow, Harl will fill you in on our requirements"


Folks, I will be away this weekend. I am leaving Saturday morning, but I will be back on Monday night.


The arrow flies through the darkness and for a second is seems like it will miss the bale of hay, but then it hits the target and some of the other knights clap approvingly.

A short break! the judge calls out while his helpers move the bale even further away.

250 ft, AC 18 - 16 for Solaric

Gonna be tough... Stephen Livgrace remarks as he checks the string of his bow.

-----

Waiting for Harl

------

You heard of a small village, lying in the shadow of a castle in the fringe of the Kronstein Ridge. It's called Jarovicha and is the home demesne of the Jarovich family - this could be the region portrayed in the painting.


Male Dwarf 6 Fighter (Tower Shield)

Lashing out with his axe. Harl looks to adjust the Ulfen's attitude."I told ya to mind yer mouth,manling." With that, Harl lashes out with his massive warblade.

ATK 1, Waraxe 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13 DMG 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

ATK 2, Waraxe, Non-lethal 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 DMG 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

5,751 to 5,800 of 8,254 << first < prev | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Zyren's Heart of Light All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.