Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Zyren's Heart of Darkness

Game Master Zyrenity

The bustling town of Kaer Maga, home of villainy and and more than one shady figure. A city that offers zillions of oportunities and even more ways to die!


5,751 to 5,800 of 7,679 << first < prev | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | next > last >>

Clever & Charming Halfling Sorcerer 7 (hp: 53/53, AC 21, T 17, FF 18) Spells: 1st: 8/8, 2nd:8/8, 3rd: 5/5

Kyren takes a quick glance around the room to see if he sees any evidence of corpses or such.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Ugly Naga Yrix wrote:
"Hah! You do good in accepting the fact that your kin is inferior to mine - and we shouldn't forget that I'm a lord of my people...Since I find your lot highly amusing, I won't skin you alive but answer your questions: Ahem...I have no knowledge of this situation you are speaking about - and now, thake this insightful piece of valuable information and leave me be, before my invisible guardians tear you to pieces."

Sense Motive 1d20 ⇒ 6

Is this naga really telling me the truth? It is so hard to tell!

"Naturally, your wish is our command. However, before, we leave, Oh great Yrix, let me kindly offer to play for you upon the magnificent strings of my harp. I am a humble performer and would be honored to play for you."

If given the approval, Kyren will pull forth his harp while he gives "Daggers" Vaughn Eliot, Berry, and Alchy the knowing eye and the subtle movements to tell them to look around and investigate while he is distracting the worm.

Bluff (Secret Message) 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

Simple Secret Message: Go look for any evidence that you can find! We need to find those bodies!

Once Kyren's harp is set up, the halfling sits down he announces, "This is a pieces called, Kazam!" He then lets his fingers go wild in intricate musical patterns with lots of flourishes and glissandos to mesmerize and captivate his audience.

Perform Harp 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (9) + 16 = 25


Scratching his chin, in a most excellent simulacrum of a thoughtful repose, the goblin accesses the part of his pickled little mind that he has set aside for all things necromancy. Sifting through that area provides him with an expansive vista of undead dust bunnies and ghoulish tumbleweeds.

The enticingly malodorous olfactory experience gave the impression of death, which was definitely something he associated with necromancy (actually the only thing he associated), but wizards tended to be finger wigglers, not armour wearers. Perhaps this was a creation, a pet, or just a tasteful collection of macabre pieces assembled for his viewing pleasure.

Carefully noting its exact location, in case he wanders this way again and finds that it had meandered to another position, Jinx continues to sneak west and southward silently consoling the nervous Floyd with awkward pets and pats.


M Human Fighter / 7 AC: 23 Touch: 16 HP 78/78 Init: +3

I take my cue from Kyren, move away slightly, and try to nonchalantly look around the room for things more strange than the ugly naga.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Yrix begins to sway to the left and right, clearly the music has a hypnotic quality...

Berry, Alchy and Vaugn:

Now that the worm is distracted you can make out the outline of a door behind him.

Jinx:

Following the corridor further south is a herculean task for someone with so short legs, but in the end you manage to find another corridor you had already explored.

Tomb


M Human Fighter / 7 AC: 23 Touch: 16 HP 78/78 Init: +3

I quickly and quietly confer with Berry and Al.

So there's a door. how do we handle this? Can we take this guy--SHOULD we take him? should we just try to walk around him??


"Dis familia...." Hands clap over the expansive oral cavity too slow to stop the exodus of verbage.

Pointing south and then east he uses the kinesthetic cue to score his memory so he does not accidentally come back this way.

Turning on his heel the goblin marches northward, slowing as he nears the corner and then peek around before committing his body to a potential attack from the armoured form. He doubted it would move very quietly, but was not willing to fully trust in that.

If he can move past that area without contact with the nefarious it is his full intent to cheat east and then continue further north into the area he has not been yet.


Jinx:

There is another t-section. To your left is a stone door emblazoned with a strange seven-pointed star. To your right is another stone door, this one unadorned.

Tomb


Female AC 28 HP 57 Init +6 F: +6 Ref: +9 W: +4

1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23 Know nature

I'm guessing here. The site that has berry's sheet on it is down.

"Why are all of you being afraid of the goblin snake?" Walking right up to the goblin snake she scolds him with the full force of an indignant nun at an all boys catholic school. "You are a horrible deceitful little creature! We ought to let the big angry cat eat you to spare Kyren the embarassment of embarassing himself some more! I should put you on a slab and surgically remove the bit that makes you talk! Shame on you! Shame!"


Ugh what goblin snake...hah, feel my thunderous wrath! there is a strange sound...a bit like a fart...then the mighty Yrix tries to flee out of the room...however, the pathetic thing is too weak and too slow, soon Alchy'S paw rests on it. Only now you realize that the majestic curled up body of Yrix was just the remains of the skinning process all nagas go through several times in their long lives. The goblin snake must have found it and since then impersonated the deadly wormfolk creature.


It was good the armour remained in place and Silkilur remained dead dead. It was expensive to shoot at things.

"Dis more like it."

Jinx's eyes ping pong back and forth between the doors, making a decision as all enlightened beings do when faced with a quandary.

"Eenie meenie wheenie whiney hiney mo ho...."

The decision is made and he moves to the closer heptagram-adorned portal. Making himself as small as possible, he reaches up and opens it, fully prepared for his most memorable greeting to come from Floyd.


M Human Fighter / 7 AC: 23 Touch: 16 HP 78/78 Init: +3
Jinx Wigglesnort wrote:
Making himself as small as possible, he reaches up and opens it, fully prepared for his most memorable greeting to come from Floyd.

Not much of a team player, Jinx, eh? :-)


Vaughn Elliot wrote:
Not much of a team player, Jinx, eh? :-)

Oh don't feel that way, Jinx is all about team!


Male Elf Druid 7 HP:64/64, - AC: 18/T:14/FF:14 - Perception: +15(Low Light) F: +5/R: +6/W: +8 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 23, Speed:30ft, Init: +6

Alchys furry paw springs some rather unfurry claws... a menacing sound escapes from his maw, as if warning the thing not to move.


Male Aasimar Fighter 1/ Cleric 5

Theras, completely unused to the subtle signals the group uses, turns around in confusion as Kyren begins to play the beautiful piece. The song brought up memories of the week while they traveled through the vales of southern Andora (sp?), beautiful rolling grasslands dotted with small villages and farms with sun shining and a gentle breeze cooling off their fevered skin as he and Linora-

And like a record cutting off suddenly Theras focused on the rapidly changing situation as the giant cat pinned the strange snake creature the ground and growled. "Uh..."

No he's not stupid. Just not used to this group. And I love cutscenes brought on by outer stimuli at the wrong times.


Yrix, the now far lesser imposing creature squirms and pleads

Please don't kill me - we all want to make the best of our lives, don't we?!

sincerity combined with stupidity - what a nice combination.

------------

As Jinx touches the door he smells roasted flesh - sadly it is his own

Shock Trap Damage4d4 + 4 ⇒ (1, 4, 2, 3) + 4 = 14

Ref save DC 17 halves the damage

After the goblins stops to twitch, he has to accept that the door is locked...


Clever & Charming Halfling Sorcerer 7 (hp: 53/53, AC 21, T 17, FF 18) Spells: 1st: 8/8, 2nd:8/8, 3rd: 5/5
Yrix wrote:
"Please don't kill me - we all want to make the best of our lives, don't we?!"

"Crazzleboks, I can't believe I fell for the little fiend in the snake skin gag! You had me worried there for a minute! Don't you realize that we don't have time for this?! Not only did you make me take my harp out in this filthy little hole, you embarrassed me in front of all my friends! Do you know that they will never let me live this down?! Just think about my reputation!"

Disgusted with the situation, Kyren sighes in frustration, then turns back to the creature and says, 'Give us anything of value: information, treasure, insight, anything useful, and I may consider sparring your life! But at the moment, I cannot think of any reason not to kill you! I know that I have enough difficulty keeping the cats fed as it it!"


Reflex Save: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29

Ozone melds with burned goblin flesh (hit points 48/55) as Jinx frowns at the door and sucks on his charred fingers enjoying his own taste. Loose threads stand on end, and it takes a few heartbeats to remember his name.

Floyd is brought to bear on the lock, quivering with the flood of adrenaline running through his system. He holds the position for a moment and then mercurially turns about and marches east to check the other stone door.

Perhaps this one wouldn't try to kill him since it had no star on it.


Male Elf Druid 7 HP:64/64, - AC: 18/T:14/FF:14 - Perception: +15(Low Light) F: +5/R: +6/W: +8 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 23, Speed:30ft, Init: +6

Al and Blaze snarl on cue to help make Kyrens point rather clear.


Female AC 28 HP 57 Init +6 F: +6 Ref: +9 W: +4

"But first you apologize to Kyren! We'll never let him hear the end of it!"


M Grumpy Cat - Dire Tiger Druid 6 HP:56/56, - AC: 21/T:13/FF:17 - Percep: +14(Low Light/Scent) F:+5/R:+5/W:+8 - CMB: 12 - CMD: 25/29, Speed: 40ft, Init: +5 Size Large

A further snarl of warning issues... clearly Alcheringa wants to make his feelings towards the worm known.


Oh a shiny new avatar!

Yrix seems to shrink to the size of a rain worm

Uh, I know the one who controls a part of this tomb - a half-orc necromancer. But I hav't left my room for a long time, so I can't tell you where to find him. Oh and: Sorry Mr. Kyren.

-------------

Carefully you push the door open - a thirty-foot-diameter pit fills this circular room, its bottom lost in darkness. The ceiling arches twenty feet above the pit, which is encircled by a narrow, five-foot-wide walkway. A door stands in the opposite side, across the pit. You remember that this was the first room you saw of this whole complex. Silklur Silklav and you entered through a break in the northern wall.

Tomb


M Grumpy Cat - Dire Tiger Druid 6 HP:56/56, - AC: 21/T:13/FF:17 - Percep: +14(Low Light/Scent) F:+5/R:+5/W:+8 - CMB: 12 - CMD: 25/29, Speed: 40ft, Init: +5 Size Large

Yeah figured it was easier this way!

Al moves forward and instead opens the door past the worm.


The festooned gun is raised up, eyeless doll hanging awkwardly akimbo from the barrel, so a serious conversation can be engaged. Floyd was the smart one in their relationship.

"What now do no find?"

A return voice cannot be perceived no matter how proximal a listener might get. That does not stop Jinx from hearing it. He nods along, smiling and agreeing.

"You brain good. You pretty shiny."

Closing the door behind him the little goblin whistles as he wanders west, south and then east. It appeared that the room he was in, when he was among the others, was the right way.

Damaged fingers are jammed into his face so he can suckle them back to health.


Clever & Charming Halfling Sorcerer 7 (hp: 53/53, AC 21, T 17, FF 18) Spells: 1st: 8/8, 2nd:8/8, 3rd: 5/5
Yrix wrote:
"Uh, I know the one who controls a part of this tomb - a half-orc necromancer. But I hav't left my room for a long time, so I can't tell you where to find him. Oh and: Sorry Mr. Kyren."

"Apology accepted. But you claim not to know where to find him? I find that hard to believe! Berry, what do you think? Should we spare this wretch's life?"


Jinx reaches the others just in time to witness Yrix hop in Alcheringa's way

Don't go in there mighty cat-friend, inside is a very terrible foe!


Male Elf Druid 7 HP:64/64, - AC: 18/T:14/FF:14 - Perception: +15(Low Light) F: +5/R: +6/W: +8 - CMB: +10 - CMD: 23, Speed:30ft, Init: +6

Alcheringa pushes the worm out of the way, and proceeds to continue to and through the door. Blaze instead advances on the worm, full of threat and making it clear that further interference will meet with a nasty end.


Yrix does not interfere further and behind the door you find a narrow corridor that ends at the top of a stirwell leading down into the deeper levels of the ossuary - a place only a handful of mortals have ever entered...

Tomb

Your friendly DM can not recommend going down there.


Jinx has long forgotten the perceived slights upon his good name by this point and simply falls into line with the others.

How casually they bat aside a powerful naga, though he has never encountered one with such wonderfully fetid breath, reinforces his opinion that this is the right group of brave heroes to walk with.

Not relying on the flickering candlelight, it is the realm of darkvision that Jinx' beady little crimson orbs fall into to take in the corners of the small chamber where they currently stand.

With nothing approaching a segue, or explanation of his absence, the goblin simply recounts his mini solo adventure. "Me find bird-brain dead, door burn lock," To this one he holds up his charred fingers to make his point, "Find out way and tin man."

Jinx engages in a tickle fight with Floyd as he waits for their throng to proceed to the stairwell. He will cover them as they descend since ranged combat was his bailiwick.


M Human Fighter / 7 AC: 23 Touch: 16 HP 78/78 Init: +3

OH, THERE you are!! I thought you got et by something! What kind of tin man did you find?

I normally take DM warnings like "don't go down there" seriously, don't know abotu YOU folk . . .


Hands up - who likes aboleths.


It is a disjointed recounting of events requiring a degree of divergent thinking, a portion of luck and a great deal of context to circumnavigate, but Jinx is a passionate story teller (fully willing to throw his entire body into the performance, especially his hips that don't lie, as long as his meaning was conveyed) and willing to tirelessly repeat himself, or attempt entirely different methodology to convey his meaning.

Grammar was not the friend of 6 year olds from societies that felt that the written word was anathema to them, but the gunslinger was brighter than the average human by a surprising margin and that helped him to come at problems from many different angles.

To any that are willing to devote themselves to the process they are fully aware of everything that Jinx knows about the complex beyond and the denizens within.

Recognizing that he should possibly not have revealed so much in front of the naga he barks out, "YOU NOT KNOW DIS, K?"


Yrix instantly realizes that - however weird Jinx may be - he is some kind of kin.

Quickly the goblin snakes moves over to the idiotic pistoleer and hides behind him.

You're right, I don't know anything...tell me friend, do you know these adventurers? like honey are Yrix words and even Floyd likes the former naga at once.


Jinx relays in the goblin tongue, "They not bad. Though no food taste."

With that the gunslinger offers the naga a pull from his filthy jar of pickled half-orc eyeballs. They were half-orc, and half delicious!

<raises hand in the hope of not repeating the Azlant mistake of getting hit by a giant chunk of intergalactic flotsam>

Spoiler:
He's not an idiot. He's special!


The ex-naga curls around his left leg and takes the morsel

goblin tongue:

[b]You are a great warrior - a special one - I can feel it, you could be the champion of my army, my bodyguard and right hand.

the words sound honeyed...if that was ever possible in Goblin(ish)...


Agilely stepping away from the embrace, one only did such things when they were ready to make naughty naughty, and while the snake thing had shiny scales it was a tad droopy in places. This naga was likely ancient, perhaps even as old as 7 and a half.

Wanderlust guided the young goblin far more than the lure of any responsibility. He had been offered everything a goblin could want and it had ended in flame and shed blood.

In a startling betrayal of the natural order of things Jinx replies in the common tongue, "No. If stay you my pet called Frances."

It is likely a strange comment, amongst a lifetime of strange comments, but considering the linguistically goblinoid exchange of just moments prior, it hopefully brings the others at least partially into the interaction.


Female AC 28 HP 57 Init +6 F: +6 Ref: +9 W: +4

"Soemthing tells me that we should avoid going down there." Berry suggests.

Then turning to the goblin snake she replies in a gravelly scratchy voice.

Goblin:
"Quiet you! There'll be no hanky panky in the dungeon!"


Dabbing and dobbing his one eye, the other having retreated behind the eyepatch, with what looks to be a lacy pair of women's underwear, Jinx looks at Berry with newfound respect.

This "Berry" person with the strange bumps on his chest, perhaps a form of humanoid camel, was a genius. Finally! Someone that could sing tongue of the gods: goblinoid.

Jinx wraps his little arms around her leg and gives her a quick hug before turning and agreeing that going down stairs sounds like a bad idea.

"Burn star room not open." He holds up his burned fingers to remind everyone of the door he speaks of.

Wanting to give options he also offers to show them where birdbrain's body is, or the alternate exit, or even the armoured figure.


M Grumpy Cat - Dire Tiger Druid 6 HP:56/56, - AC: 21/T:13/FF:17 - Percep: +14(Low Light/Scent) F:+5/R:+5/W:+8 - CMB: 12 - CMD: 25/29, Speed: 40ft, Init: +5 Size Large

Alcheringa seems far more interested in Jinxs discovery and heads in search of the room with thge tin man.


Jinx falls into line behind Alcheringa, fully ready to provide fire support or directional support to ensure that the armoured corpse is located post haste.


A suit of elaborate lacquered armour stands sentinel against the far eastern wall of this octagonal chamber. Silver chains attached to the armour's neck and chest run across the floor of the room, their ends clutched in the bony hands of a skeleton sprawled on the floor ten feet away.

DC 20 Know Local:

The armour looks like those worn by the people of the Iridian Fold. Enigmatic foreigners they are who visit the City of Strangers often to discuss philosophy with representatives of other races. They always travel in pairs - one in armour, one in veils.

Tomb

I've marked unopened door on the upper half of the map in red.


M Grumpy Cat - Dire Tiger Druid 6 HP:56/56, - AC: 21/T:13/FF:17 - Percep: +14(Low Light/Scent) F:+5/R:+5/W:+8 - CMB: 12 - CMD: 25/29, Speed: 40ft, Init: +5 Size Large

Know Local - 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

Alcheringa rapidly starts looking about, as if looking for someone or something...


Al:

Most probably the other half of the pair is the skeleton...his veils didn't survive the centuries.


M Grumpy Cat - Dire Tiger Druid 6 HP:56/56, - AC: 21/T:13/FF:17 - Percep: +14(Low Light/Scent) F:+5/R:+5/W:+8 - CMB: 12 - CMD: 25/29, Speed: 40ft, Init: +5 Size Large

Al checks the skeleton tentatively, creeping up on it as though he expects it to spring to life... tapping it with a mighty paw.


As the mighty cat creeps closer, it suddenly hears a rustling noise from within the armour. But still, the thing does not move.


Clever & Charming Halfling Sorcerer 7 (hp: 53/53, AC 21, T 17, FF 18) Spells: 1st: 8/8, 2nd:8/8, 3rd: 5/5

Knowledge, Local (Untrained) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Kyren walks up to the skeleton beside the great cat and comments dryly,"It looks like this prisoner was dying to get out of here!"

At the sound of rustling, the Tosscobble takes a step or two back. "What's making that noise? Do you think it's a mouse? This might be your chance to toy with it!"


Floyd snarls at the lacquered armour, the bores of his flared nostrils as clean as a devoted nose picker could get them.

The pistol holds true, as a metallic extension of Jinx' arm, with unwavering precision. Popping the chain up into his other hand, he yanks on the armour from afar in the hopes of topping the armour over and revealing what lives within.


For a split second nothing happens, but then, in super slowmotion, the armour falls in Jinx' direction. With a clanking sound the armour shatters into all its single parts.

For a moment nothing happens but then, a black carpet of cockroaches streams out of the armour, forming one massive coackroach with gleaming red eyes full of ferocious hunger!


M Human Fighter / 7 AC: 23 Touch: 16 HP 78/78 Init: +3

GROSS!!! Hey, will my weapons hurt this thing???


Alcheringa and Blaze's Initiative1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Kyren's Initiative1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Vaughn's Initiative1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Theras' Initiative1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Berry's Initiative1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Jinx' Initiative1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Giant Cockroach Swarm's Initiative1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Rd1

Kyren
Swarm
Jinx
Theras
Vaughn
Berry
Al

Battle Mat


M Grumpy Cat - Dire Tiger Druid 6 HP:56/56, - AC: 21/T:13/FF:17 - Percep: +14(Low Light/Scent) F:+5/R:+5/W:+8 - CMB: 12 - CMD: 25/29, Speed: 40ft, Init: +5 Size Large

Doh! Back to the tail of the initiative queue again...

5,751 to 5,800 of 7,679 << first < prev | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Zyren's Heart of Darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.