Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM-Tareth's Modified Kingmaker Campaign

Game Master Tareth


501 to 550 of 2,810 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard (Archivist) 1

Stephanus comes over to the interrogation in time to witness the wild reaction of their leader and the subsequent witchery.

Not sure what we're facing here but Stephanus might, so here's a pile of possibly relevant rolls.

Knowledge(planes) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Knowledge(arcana) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Knowledge(religion) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

If Stephanus recognized the threat before Thad's save, he may have had the presence of mind to use inspire courage to help that save. If Tareth allows, Stephanus would have definitely taken that action.

DM:

In case it could be relevant init? 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


After removing the arrow, Ursula proceeds to clean the wound. Either from the numbing agent, alcohol, simple shock, or combination of all three, Tityanna feels little additional pain, however, it's clear she won't be going anywhere on her own for a while.

It take a few minutes,but Ursula easily gets the wound cleaned, stitched and bandaged. While securing Tityanna's arm in a makeshift sling to keep the shoulder wound from tearing open again, she instructs the young mage, and Donal, to see that she rests for the remainder of the day.

As screams erupt from the area where the prisoners are being kept she frowns and says with an exasperated sigh, "Now what was that?!"

As everyone turns in the direction of the scream, she, Duella, and Donal all gasp at the site of Thad seemingly reaching into one of the bandit's chest and pulling out a skeletal hand while black energy coils wickedly around his arm.


Stephanus:
You've never seen anything like that before, yet it is clearly of an arcane and necromantic nature. Certainly evil and possibly triggered by the bearers thoughts or actions. Like the charm found on the old warg, it is powerful and potentially quite deadly. From what you can tell, paladin is the one with the best chance of defeating whatever it is.

As Thad struggles with the dark charm, Stephanus steps over and offers a bit of inspirational insight to help overpower the evil effects of the item.

After what seems like an eternity, but in reality is only a few seconds, Thad is able to briefly overcome the evil power and rips the bone charm free of the bandit's chest. For a few seconds after being removed, the skeletal hand continues to struggle, attempting to reach its intended victim's heart. Slowly the coils of energy disburse and the charm stills, looking like nothing more than a grim, but simple, inanimate set of old bones.

Thad's hand and lower arm appear to be covered in a layer of black soot. A dull pain continues to throb in the limb caused by the initial effects of his struggle with the magical energy.

Happs lies unconscious and bleeding profusely from the five, nasty holes piercing the skin directly above his heart. While the other conscious bandits just sit staring in shock and horror at the site of their former leader. Simple fear keeps them from uttering anything.


Warren overcomes his initial shock quickly and rushes to aid Happs. He tries to act as if he has seen this all the time and offer quick and timely first aid.

Heal Happs1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

"Can't you see our paladin has defeated this evil. We are stronger than this."

Warren will look at Thad soon after stopping Happs from bleeding out.

Heal Happs 2 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Heal Thad 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


Female Human Sorceress (Fey) 1/ Oracle (Life) 1

"Of all the occasions to be sequestered, hmm?" Tityanna remarks sardonically to Donal and frowns. She looks to Ursula with a tired expression. "If you could please ask Thad to come round with the disgusting thing before its magics completely disapate, I can assist with identification without straining myself overmuch."

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard (Archivist) 1

Stephanus draws his blade, both to arm himself against the evil little fetish and to reinforce the point with the remaining bandits that we're in control of the situation. He steps over to where it landed and casts detect magic on it to see if it might still bear its curse.

In case another roll is desired...Knowledge(arcana)1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25.


Male Human Ranger

As the screaming echoes across the roadway, Kams kneels down and looks Yori in the eye. Yori lad, go to my saddlebags. I have a small tin of salt, a paper sack of brown molasses sugar, and some dried fruit rations. Take them, mix them up, and use them to calm the other horses. We will want to be out of here soon, so I'm sorry but you don't have alot of time. Kams stands and looks around. Also, I have a rolled up cloth sack near the top of my backpack. Get it and cut it into pieces. First slit the side seams, then cut from side to side, in 4" wide strips. We'll need to cover the horses eyes if we are to lead them past the snake and over that bridge. Drawing his dagger, Here, use this, it belonged to my father. Mind you I'll be wanting it back, he smiles. Patting the boy on the shoulder, I'm depending on you, but I know Yori, your the right "man" for the job. Now go.

Kams then waves for the dwarven brothers, to discuss the safety and integrity of the bridge, plus how best to clear the dam. When you say this vial needs be placed by the dam, where and how do you want it? Best I get it done before the others are finished with the prisoners. He allows the dwarves and himself to look in the direction of the group, and the screams. We may need to leave quickly. I want as much ready as I can make it. He then lookes out at the waters, the choppy surface, and the residual frothy red foam, I'm gonna get wet aren't I?


Donal does his best to make a comfortable area for Tityanna to sit and stretch out in the wagon. Considering the circumstances, the makeshift shelter is isn't too bad and it's out of the elements. A handful of thick blankets line the floor, providing a little softness to the wagon bed, while a well placed set of canvas tarps keep the wind and rain at bay. Although her view is limited, he does make sure Tityanna is able to clearly see where Thad and the prisoners are located. In case she is needed.

Ursula bobs her head at Tityanna's request and hurries over to help Warren and Thad try to save the dying bandit leader.


Yori turns toward the screams with a startled look, but then turns back as Kams grabs his attention. The task clearly takes the boy's mind off of the rest of the happenings and he enthusiastically hurries off to follow Kams' instructions and take care of the horses. A broad smile filling his face after Kams' calling him the 'right man.'


With sideways glances toward Thad and the thing he just pulled from the bandit's chest, the two dwarfs step over to Kams.

"Bad business, that is." says Porter in a subdued voice. "That man's lucky to even have a chance to live."

"Bah! What did the fool expect. You associate with darkness, you'll die in darkness." Answers his brother following up his statement by spitting in the direction of the bandit's. "Each one of them deserves a rope around his neck I say."

Turning to Kams, they both listen to his questions. Burdo is the first to speak "Assuming you're willingly to risk your neck handling my brother's blasting juice, the best place will be toward the center of the log jam." He rubs his short beard in thought for a second then continues, "However, with the water this high and fast, we might be able to blow just one side and let the river do the rest of the work for us."

"My thoughts exactly Burdo, I'm thinking if we can blast one side, the rest should wash out enough for our purposes. But still it'll need to be out far enough to insure a good gap. But to answer our this good man's most vital question..."

They both turn back to Kams, broad grins on their faces, and say in unison, "Yes, you're going to get wet."


Elf Paladin 2

Thad leaves Ursulla and Warren at the bandits side and leaves to speak with the others. He meets the eyes of each of the bandits as he walks back to the wagons and brandishes the charm in his blackened hand, a tone of anger touching his usually-tranquil voice "Someone who would do this... is that the sort of person you would fight for? Die for?!" He spits as a sort of punctuation and shakes his head, "If you escape the noose today, you should reconsider your allegiances. Men are meant for better things."

He walks to the wagons, cradling his injured hand in the other, and joins the group around Tityanna. He beckons to Stephanus, if he didn't follow Thad back the shows everyone the charm, "There's more of that devilry at work. I'm sure Warren will get the full story out of them soon... but what do you make of this?"

Ninja'd! I really have to remember to hit preview before posting... small edit for continuity.


Male Human Ranger

Kams nods in agreement with Burdo's comments about the bandits and their deserved fate. Alright then, so I'll swim at it from the front of the dam, and allow the current to move me to the spot you choose. It would be better than coming at it from behind the dam, and fighting the rushing waters. Once in place, I can use the dam wall to help move me back to the bank. Looking with trepidation at the water and the rough structure, Have a rope handy, if you can find one, to haul me out again. He stares at the structure, having thoughts of giant dire beavers, then it dawns on him, How do we ignite your 'juice' once it is in place? and will it hold off blowing long enough for me to swim out to the spot


Stepping forward and eyeing the swirling waters with some trepidation, Aliana pipes up. "Rather than just having a rope ready, maybe we should go ahead and tie it around your waist before you begin? Or was that your intention?


Female Human Sorceress (Fey) 1/ Oracle (Life) 1

"I am beginning to understand how inconvenient it is to be severely injured," Tityanna jests lightly when Thad appears with his gruesome charge.

Tityanna gives a little gasp as her injured arm attempts to make the sweeping motions she had trained to complete the spell Detect Magic. Frowning in consternation, and becoming slightly dizzy from the pain, she pauses for a few moments and considers an alternative path, and with a slighter, fluid movement of her hand, casts the spell.

Tityanna Spellcraft (Identify) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Tityanna Knowledge Arcana (Identify) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Warren looks downstream and is astonished to see Kams actually going along with the plan of a dwarven demolitioner. He shouts, "Kams, be careful."

That is even braver than facing down the big Worg. Kams has no shortage of courage and heart.

Warren turns his attention back to Happs and Thad. He tells Thad what Kams is up to so he can think about something other than the black talisman that tried to kill him.


Male Human Ranger

Thank you for the concern, Mistress Aliana, but I fear a rope may spell the death of me. Should it snag on the rough timbers of the dam, I might well get swept down and under, never to surface again. No, I am better off swimming free and loose, in breeches and bare feet. Undetered by those present, Kams strips down to his breeches and bare feet, tucking his stockings deep into his boots for later, then taking a flask of oil from his pack. He thinly coats his chest, arms, face, and feet. Though the water is most likely just above freezing, this might help long enough to get back to shore. It's not whale oil, or beaverdrip, but I doubt it'll hurt anything.

Looking to the dwarven brothers, So I place the juice, then what? He cuts the seam on the oilskin to use as a holder for the vial, tucking it into his breeches, tying the stitching and topper over a belt loop. Only later does he think, I tied a dwarven bomb to myself. I am as daft as a drunken goose in the grain, eh Ali.

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard (Archivist) 1

Stephanus stands vigil over the prisoners and this flank of the caravan. He calls over to nearest caravan mate, whichever of the npcs is nearest, to post a watch on one of the wagons for anyone approaching by the road or the opposite flank. With so many injured and distracted, the caravans seem suddenly vulnerable to him.

"How far off is your camp? How many more are there aside from this 'Kressle'? In which direction does it lie from Oleg's? Were others sent to the outpost while you were sent to block the road?"

Standing there, Stephanus is struck by the thought of how the slaughtered militia up the road could be connected to this ambush. Could the recovering Worg victim convalescing in the wagon be a bandit wearing a militia uniform?


Seeing that Kams is serious about actually using his device, Porter smiles broadly and despite the heavy rain, for just a second, his hat seems to stand a little taller.

Running back to his wagon he quickly gathers up a large flask-sized glass object and carefully walks it back to Kams.

The device itself is about the size of a standard, pint sized ale or brandy flask and is made up of two glass chambers linked by a series of tiny glass tubes. It would take several hours of examination to understand the inner workings of the dwarven device, but Porter does his best to describe the basics to Kams as he hands it over.

Pointing to the small upper chamber, "This is the main reactant, up here. Pull one of these pins, " He points to two finger-sized glass ring pins sticking out from the top of the flask, one colored red, one yellow. "And it breaks the seal allowing the reactant to flow into the explosive. There enough in there to blast a good sized hole through five or six feet of solid stone so it should take care of that log jam with little trouble."

Giving Kams a stern look, the dwarf adds. "Don't pull the red pin, that's for quick reactions only. It allows for only a five second delay. The yellow gives you a good thirty to sixty seconds before it should go off. I think that about covers...."

Burdo listening to the explanation, gives his brother a quick elbow in the ribs causing Porter to start. "What! Oh, Yes. Almost forgat. Don't rattle or shake it up too much while your carrying it. The cooling effect of the river water should help, but the explosive is just the slightest bit sensitive to shock or vigorous motion." He turns to give Burdo a bit of a glare, "There. Now that should cover everything. It's all perfectly safe really. Nothing to worry about. Should all work easy as pie."


Tityanna:
You instantly sense that the magic of the charm is no longer active, but it still radiates a strong necromantic and enchantment based aura. You notice, the bone forming the center of the hand, is marked with a stylized, knotwork, 'S' nearly identical to the one found on the worg's charm.

At first the identity of the spell embedded in the charm eludes you. Then you remember reading an old text located in the dim corners of the Medvyed library. The text was an ancient history surrounding the Cult of the Black Hats, so named because of the black felt hats and ceramic black masks worn by its members. The cult dated back to the days of ancient Thasillon and the worship of Lissala. The spell, commonly called the Hand of Unwavering Faith, was often used to enforce strict discipline among lower caste members of the cult.

From what you are able to recall, the spell when cast on a victim, made it lethal for that person to betray in any way an oath they have willingly taken. In the cult the oath was most often handed down by the leaders and typically designed to be very open-ended. Thus giving the leadership complete control over their subjects. Especially since, once in place, the 'Hand' could not be easily removed except by the original caster or other powerful means.


Having witnessed their leader's near death at the hands of the charm, and Thad's defeat of that magic, the other bandit's appear eager to switch allegiances once the shock has worn off.

With careful glances at Ursula as she sets to work trying to save Happs, the one who was talking before does his best to answer Warren and Stephanus' questions.

"I swears we 'ad no idea. We thought most of the talk was just that, talk. Not real black magic, who-doo. We'll tell you what we can, although in truth, it ain't much."

The man goes on to describe their makeshift camp tucked away in a ravine a few hundred yards away. They were to watch and stop anyone from crossing the river over the next month.

"Personally, I thinks Kressle put Happs in charge just to get the smelly bugger out of her tent at night. Her camp is further south. 'Bout a half days ride from Oleg's along the Thorn River." While talking holds up a grubby hand and starts slowly counting fingers, "Lemme see. I'd say there were six others who stayed put with Kressle. Although she said she was going to do a little recruitin' so might be a couple more by now."

Finally he shrugs his shoulders and answers Stephanus' last question with a bit of indifference. "I've know idea what they're up to these days. Basically we weren't told and none of us asked. Best way to keep in one piece in these parts."


Male Human Ranger

Swim Checks:
1st unencumbered, unarmored 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
2nd unencumbered, unarmored 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Check to place as/where directed (Perception?) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Check for steady placement (Dex Check?) 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
3rd unencumbered, unarmored 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
4th unencumbered, unarmored 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Without any further pretext, Kams gently places the flask into his oilskin sling, fastens it inside his breech-leggings, then moves to enter the waters. He takes a moment to say a quick prayer to Erastil, touching the pendant around his neck. Guide my in this, for them. He wades into the rush, letting the current propel him, steady strokes to attempt to guide himself to the spot Porter and Burdo indicated. Once there, he gently places the item, pulls the yellow pin, and pushes off, trying to move quickly towards the shore and hopefully a waiting loop of rope.


Ursula arrives at Warren's side followed closely by Duella carrying a small case filled with a variety of instruments, bandages, and homemade ointments, unguents, and herbs.

Seeing the wound for the first time she draws her breath in sharply while performing a quick sign to Sarenrae. "A truly nasty piece of evil."

Taking over for Warren, she quickly applys additional bandages and tells Duella to get an oil burner lit. Handing a bottle of alcohol to Ursula the halfling then pulls out a miniature oil lamp which she quickly lights using flint and steel. Directly over the flame she places a pair of small flat blades. Looking at Ursula the old halfling says, "Never thought I'd be a cutters assistant, but after the last couple of days, it seems we've turned into quite a team."

Caught up in her work Ursula doesn't hear Duella's remark, instead she gives Warren a tired and grim look, saying, "These wounds are deep and may be beyond my skills. I'll do what I can for him, but I can't guarantee that he'll live." She then grabs one of the heating knives, tests it quickly, and then places the flat of the blade on the first wound, causing the flesh to sear slightly. After a second or two she returns the blade to the flame and repeats the process with the second knife.

Occasionally, the man groans or struggles slightly due to the pain, but fortunately he remains unconscious as Ursula continues to slow painful process of sealing the wounds.


Female Human Sorceress (Fey) 1/ Oracle (Life) 1

Tityanna's expression changes to one of revulsion. "Another enchantment, and one whose origins are older and far removed from us," she states. "Begs the question how it came to be here," she muses and expends several breaths regaining her concentration to the task at hand after the blue fades from her eyes.

"It is disgusting, in practice," she continues, a little breathless. "The recipient gives a willing oath, perhaps to serve the enchanter, but the spell gave the leader complete authority over the man while he wore it, presumably in pursuit of that oath."

Tityanna colors and avoids looking at Donal or the others for any length amount of time. "I am, at this moment uncertain if the bearer was of any particular strategic importance to the enchanter, or if she is simply cruel. In either case, it is an effective method of terrifying her subordinates and her better educated enemies," she admits and allows her eyes to slide closed.


The water is cold, murky and fast as Kams carefully steps into the river and starts swimming for the jam. Approaching the dam is easy as the current carries him there in a few swift seconds. The gods of fortune, shine upon the ranger when the river flows right to where Porter and Burdo thought the explosive would do its best work and Kams easily props the device in place.

However, fighting against the current is much more difficult. Those same fickle gods of fortune now look down with delighted anticipation as the ranger struggles to escape the river's grasp. His initial effort simply leaves Kams pinned against logs, at the mercy of the powerful flood waters. He pushes off again, arms and legs pumping vigorously toward the shore, but within a few second he's quickly pinned back against the barrier. The debris and logs provides little help as their slippery surface and deadly undercurrent hinder as much as they help his efforts. Taking another deep breath he tries again, all the while searching for the elusive rescue rope.

Meanwhile...the first few drops of liquid reactant begin their simple journey through the series of thin glass tubes.

Kams:
DC20 Swim check to move 5' each round. DC25 will get you 10'. Your next check will be the third round since pulling the pin. On the map you have 10 feet to go before reaching shallow water where all the DC's are reduced by 10 but movement is still in 5' or 10' increments per round.

DM Roll:
1d6 ⇒ 5

Is Alaina throwing the rope?


Warren is aghast and whistles for Tuney to help Kams. Although he knows the flight of the eagle cannot fully move Kams, he knows every little bit may make the difference.


Male Human Ranger

Kams continues to struggle against the current for a few more seconds, then, seeing the futility of reaching safety, surrenders to the inevitable. He will not make it out of the water before the device goes off. Waving a quick signal for the others to seek cover, he takes a deep breath and dives for the bottom and the anchorage of the dam wall. I hope he's right, 5' or 6' of stone. If I can pray hold on I may yet see the sky again. He braces himself amongst the logjam and waits. Or by Erastil I'll be with you Ali, a watery grave to keep us both.

Suspenseful anticipation:
Swim check for round 3 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Str check to hold tight to the logjam??? 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Con check to hold breath during the blast??? 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Fort Save vs concussive shock??? 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Swim check against the current to fight for shore after the intial wave passes, assuming still alive and able... 1)1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9 2)1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21 3)1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19


Male Human Ranger

Dive Check:
Round 4 progress to bottom 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Round 5 progress to bottom 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Round 6 brace and pray with what progress has been made.

Edit... Hope diving down is aided by the current, structure, or flow


Yes, Aliana would throw the rope unless someone beat her to it. Though considering Kam's dive it might be a moot point. Do you want me to make some sort of check?


Alaina: A simple AC5 Thrown Weapon check to hit Kams' square should work. If you've weighted the rope it would sink to the bottom allowing a PER(DC13) check for him to spot the rescue line. Please let me know how you are securing the rope on your end.


Elf Paladin 2

"Hmph. I'm beginning to wonder how much the swordlords knew of this witchery when they issued these charters. Certainly this is no common banditry." Thad tosses the unwholesome charm aside and steps over to the river to see if he can wash the blackened taint of the necklace's necromancy from his arm.

He watches curiously as Kams braves the river to place the vial. Thad certainly wouldn't have volunteered for such a task, preferring the slower method of catching individual logs with a rope and using the horses to break up the logjam. Still, he had to give the man credit- the ranger's solution possessed a certain expediency...

Noting Kams's trouble, Thad calls his mount while Aliana tosses the line. The rope can be looped around the saddle's horn, and Thad can contribute to hauling Kams in.

Handle Animal (DC 12): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22


Aliana tosses one end of the rope to Thad to secure to his mount and saddle. The other end she quickly ties a weight to and tosses it out across the water to Kams.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


Male Human Ranger

Perception Check:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


Desperately seeking some kind of shelter from the impending explosion, Kams dives for the bottom of the river. His eyes scour his surroundings for a handhold, but instead he notices a rapidly sinking rope. Alaina's aim is true as the life line passes within easy reach of the submerged ranger.


Male Human Ranger

Noticing the line, Kams grabs hold of the rope, pulls it around himself in a guick loop under his arms. He then knots a loose bowline off his chest, to keep from squeezinging his air out when the waters start flowing. As a thought, he gives the line two quick tugs, still sinking lower, hoping to avoid as much danger from the approaching detonation as possible.

Ali, Deadeye may have need for me here awhiles longer. Maybe.


Aliana holds her breath as she feels two quick tugs on the line running through her fingers. " I think he has it, pull him out! she shouts to Thad as she starts hauling on the line.


Elf Paladin 2

Thad gives the horse a pat on the rump and sets his weight against the line as well. The surface of the stream is undisturbed, he can only hope that Kams does indeed have the rope.


With Alaina, the dwarves, Thad, and Thad's horse all pulling, the rope is suddenly taught and Kams lurches toward the shore. Precious seconds pass as the others furiously try to drag the ranger clear of the impending blast.

Kams' head pops above the surface in the shallows a few scant feet from the water's edge. Swimming furiously and with the help of the others, he finally reaches the shore, his body continuing to slide forward on the slick, muddy surface, until the others stop pulling.

The mud covered, oiled, and soaked ranger struggles to regain his footing just as a brilliant light bursts from the device and Porter yells, "EVERYONE DOWN! FIRE IN THE HOLE!"

Both dwarves then instantly drop flat onto the ground, arms wrapped over their heads.

Thad, Kams, Alaina:
Thad and Alaina: Reflex Save(DC5), Kams: Reflex Save (DC8)
Thad, I'll need an Animal Handling(DC10) roll to keep the horse from bolting.


Male Human Ranger

Reflex Save 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

If possible, Kams will attempt to shield Alaina from the blast.


Elf Paladin 2

Can I take a 10 on the handle animal check? If so I will.

Reflex save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Handle Animal: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Thad: Sorry, taking a 10 isn't possible in this situation. Since it's basically an attempt to hold the horse steady with the distraction of the explosion going off and your ducking for cover.


Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Moment's after Porter's shout, the air is filled with a sudden deep WHOOMP!. A geyser of water and woody debris erupts fifteen to twenty feet into the air as a concussive blast rolls through the immediate area. Those watching the river, notice that for a few seconds nothing seems to happen. Then with a rumbling series of sharp cracks and deep pops the entire log jam begins to breakup. Within a few heartbeats, then entire barrier becomes a massive jumble of deadly, churning debris rushing downstream with the power of the flood.

Thad, Alaina, and Kams, being closest to the blast, all successfully hit the dirt avoiding any serious harm, but do find themselves pelted and soaked by falling water, mud, and bits of log.

Thad's horse, startled by the explosion, slips from its master's grasp and bolts. Unfortunately, Kams is still securely tied to the horse and now finds himself being dragged along over the rough, muddy terrain.

Kams: Damage from being dragged across ground without armor or heavy clothing. 1d4 ⇒ 2


Male Human Ranger

So,the options are to attempt to burst the rope, escape check to get free of the rope, attempt to pull closer to the horse, shout to the horse and calm it, or wait for the horse to stop on its own. Decisions, decisions. Intelligence check to see which is the best option...

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Here's hoping Kams can continue to avoid damage.


Warren sees the fleeing horse and sees Kams being helplessly pulled along and whistles for his eagles. He comes up with a desperate plan, as soon as Kams is safely up on land he will direct the eagles to attack the rope.

Attack rolls if needed 1d20 ⇒ 171d20 ⇒ 41d4 ⇒ 11d4 ⇒ 2 no idea what modifiers this would have


Elf Paladin 2

Thad sets to chasing down his horse and its accidental passenger. His leg protests the sprint, to the point that he wishes he'd spent less time in the saddle today and more time stretching it out.

I'm not sure about the distances and terrain involved, the action in 'tactical time' is either:

full-round action to charge (double move/60') at the horse, draw sword during charge, and cut the rope. (attack roll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9)

or

full-round sprint (quad move/120') at the horse, attempt quick mount action (Ride DC 20) to get on the horse and attempt to bring it under control. (ride check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22)

...if the first option doesn't allow enough movement to reach Kams and the horse.


Female Human Sorceress (Fey) 1/ Oracle (Life) 1

At the explosion, Tityanna fails to stifle a scream. Chaos appeared to reign in the Stolen Lands, and with each of their individual interests, her companions were making absolutely no progress toward coalescing into an effective force. Tityanna removes the stopper from the flask that Donal lent her, drinks again, and then passes it back to the smith.

"When we have stopped for the evening, and put this madness behind us, you and I will discuss how to ensure that this travesty," she rolls her shoulder slightly to indicate her injury, "does not occur again. And then I will inquire how long my companions believe that we will survive the trials ahead of us with so little communication."


Getting up after throwing himself across Tityanna, he blushes a bit and then gladly takes the flask and has a large drink himself. Shaking his head in pure wonder he says, "He actually used Porter's crazy explosive? The lad's either extremely brave....or a few bricks shy." Continuing to shake his head, he takes another smaller drink and offers it back to the injured mage.

With a quick smile he answers Tityanna by saying, "It does seem a bit more....coordination....might be in order." Watching the river, he shrugs and shakes his head again, "Our demolitions team actually seems to have lowered the river water enough for us to get a good look at the bridge. I should help make sure it's sound before we try crossing."


Female Human Sorceress (Fey) 1/ Oracle (Life) 1

"I will watch for aerial assaults," Tityanna says in jest and leans her head back. "A moment," she adds and lifts her head up again swiftly, then casts a the message spell and points at him, blushing.

Donal, Perception DC 25:
"If they ask you to do anything outrageous, you have only need whisper," she reminds him.

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard (Archivist) 1

Stephanus and his band of captives throw themselves on the ground as the thunderclap rolls over the caravan. He looks up from his spot in the mud in time to see Kam come shooting out of the river behind the horse. He shakes his head in wonder as the naked and oiled Galt goes skimming across the terrain.

"Now that was a deed worthy of song - only no one would believe it," he mutters to no one in particular. He'd been wondering these past days if the story they were writing was comedy or tragedy. "Comedy," he asserts to himself, "definitely comedy."


Kams, clearly stunned by the explosion and his sudden rapid acceleration behind the horse, is unable to do anything except hold on and try to avoid the larger rocks or thorny shrubs. He's only partially successful as the horse dives through several of the native shrubs on its way back to the road and the rear of the wagon train. Emerging on the opposite side of the bushes, the grease and mud covered man now has a outer layer of old leaves, moss and thorny branches attached to his person.

Warren attempts to send his birds to the rescue, but there is little they can do. The first, manages to strike the rope but only frays it a bit before the line slips away. The second, doesn't really understand the command, and simply continues to circle above the area.

As the ranger streaks past, Thad picks himself off of the muddy ground and seeing the situation, starts running after the frightened horse. In a deft display of elven speed and agility he manages to catch up to the animal and leaps into the saddle. Pulling hard on the reins the paladin brings the creature to a stop on the road just a short distance beyond the last wagon. Checking for the ranger, he turns his head just in time to see Kams glide to a slow stop, ending his journey in a deep mud and rain filled rut.

Kams - Damage 1d4 ⇒ 4

501 to 550 of 2,810 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM - Tareth's Modified Kingmaker Campaign Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.