Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Talomyr's Council of Thieves (Inactive)

Game Master Talomyr

A resistance rises in order to stop injustices in the former Chelish capitol, Westcrown.


3,301 to 3,350 of 3,462 << first < prev | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | next > last >>

Male Tiefling Alchemist (Grenadier) 6 -- HP 45/45 : AC 16 CMD 17 Touch 13 Flat 15 : dagger+4; 1d4 : bomb+8; 3d6+6 : F +7 R +9 W +4 : INIT +2 Perc +12 CMB +4

You see a lanky, huddled figure shrouded in a ragged cloak and hood. It moves with cautious, wary steps and glances furtively about the room. Pulling back the hood, you see a human male. Or at least, something resembling a human male. You might react with some alarm to see that his eyes resemble that of a goat and his hair is chalk-white. Looking closer, you see that a long, sinuous tail sits idly between his feet, dull-gray in color with faint scales resembling a lizard. Besides the ragged cloak, he wears simple leather sandals, a sling pouch over one shoulder, and a small backpack.

He smiles and extends a hand. "In a way, perhaps. The universe is a puzzle of infinite pieces, some of which I know well. I am Sejanus, an alchemist and Pathfinder." He turns to the Crux and smiles. "Ahh, so this what I've heard about for so long." His tail whips out from underneath his robes, reaching into his backpack and withdrawing a small pair of lenses. It places the lenses delicately on his nose as he squints and peers at the box. "But as for baroque Chelaxian puzzle boxes, I am afraid that I am not as knowledgeable as I would like." He smiles and rubs his hands together. "Which means we need to experiment." Almost unconsciously, his tail again reaches into his backpack and withdraws a small notebook and pen, apparently holding them at the ready while Sejanus continues his visual inspection.


Female Human (Varisian) Witch (Hedge Witch) 2 {HP 14/14; AC 12, T 11, FF 11; F+2 R+1 W+5; Init+2 Perc+4} {Effects: none}

Addie arches an eyebrow at the white-haired... man's... enthusiasm toward deciphering the Chelish Crux, but remains quiet so as not to disturb his examination of the object.


Male Human Cleric 5 / Inheritor's Crusader 1

Valeron arches an eyebrow at Arael as Sejanus makes himself visible and known.

Yet, as the tiefling speaks and confirms his expertise and affiliation, the Iomedean relaxes.

"Another alchemist -- our late friend, Wart, pursued such arts. I am certain they could be useful in this lodge of your people. Is there advice you can offer for us to prepare for this trip into Delvehaven?"

Elaborating on his question, Valeron adds, "We have just returned from some sort of... pocket dimension. I'm certain we could have prepared better for that journey had we known we would be facing cursed mummies or disease-ridden otyughs. Any clues to what may protect Delvehaven would be welcome... A golem perhaps?"

It's good that Kevorin kept the scarab - I'd bet Cayden a lifetime supply of drinks on needing it.

Cheliax

Who wants to be the first to try opening the Crux. Mechanics are a really high Disable Device check or a lower but still tough Intelligence roll. There are rules for subsequent attempts, but I'll get to those should they be needed. The other option would be to force the Crux open, but you suspect that would render the Crux useless afterwards.


Male Human Cleric 5 / Inheritor's Crusader 1

Valeron brims with confidence as Sejanus picks up the crux and begins his efforts to "solve" it.

Probably the devil-man with +17 Disable Device first... then Addie takes a crack at the Int-based check?

Valeron places a reassuring hand on Sejanus' shoulder and urges him to, "be careful."

He also casts Guidance for a +1 on the check. Perhaps Kev can assist for another +2 given he has +10 Disable Device?


HP: 44 /44; 0 non-lethal AC 19; touch 14; flat-footed 16 Fort: +5; Reflex: +5; Will: -1

Kev will aid another, being an extra set of hands working at the tiefling's direction.


Male Tiefling Alchemist (Grenadier) 6 -- HP 45/45 : AC 16 CMD 17 Touch 13 Flat 15 : dagger+4; 1d4 : bomb+8; 3d6+6 : F +7 R +9 W +4 : INIT +2 Perc +12 CMB +4

Would Sejanus have any ideas about what lies in Delvehaven, DM Talomyr?


Male Tiefling Alchemist (Grenadier) 6 -- HP 45/45 : AC 16 CMD 17 Touch 13 Flat 15 : dagger+4; 1d4 : bomb+8; 3d6+6 : F +7 R +9 W +4 : INIT +2 Perc +12 CMB +4

Sejanus spreads his hands in a gesture of helplessness. "You will have to ask my superior about Delvehaven." He gestures with his head toward Ailyn. "She would know more than I do. Knowledge is a protected resource in the Society, and I am not privy to the sources at her disposal."


Male Tiefling Alchemist (Grenadier) 6 -- HP 45/45 : AC 16 CMD 17 Touch 13 Flat 15 : dagger+4; 1d4 : bomb+8; 3d6+6 : F +7 R +9 W +4 : INIT +2 Perc +12 CMB +4

"Thank you." Sejanus lightly takes the Crux and turns in over in his hands. His tail flicks out and reaches into his backpack, withdrawing a small leather pouch. It flicks and rolls out, revealing a set of various tools and lockpicks. Sejanus selects one and carefully inserts it into a seam in the box, attempting to activate the locking mechanism.

+1 from guidance, +2 from Aid Another.
Disable Device 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (10) + 20 = 30
Disable Device 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (9) + 20 = 29
Disable Device 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (17) + 20 = 37

Cheliax

Sejanus Corvus wrote:

Would Sejanus have any ideas about what lies in Delvehaven, DM Talomyr?

No more than Ailyn mentioned in the lengthy post on the previous page.

Sejanus works at the Crux, for awhile with his first two attempts ending in a bit of pain as the runes on the outside heat up, burning the tiefling.

Sejanus, take a total of 10 points of fire damage. I have already taken your fire resistance into account.

Finally, on the third attempt the dodecahedron unfolds, dumping a number of things on the ground, the most notable being a shrieking, disembodied, female head. Other items falling to the ground include: a leather portfolio inscribed with an ornate "D", three scrolls, a silver box engraved with dancing skeletons, and a pair of matched slender oak wands.


HP: 44 /44; 0 non-lethal AC 19; touch 14; flat-footed 16 Fort: +5; Reflex: +5; Will: -1

"What the...?" Kev hollers as the disembodied head nearly rolls into him. He stumbles back and fumbles his axe into his hands. If no ill effects become immediately apparent, however, he stays his hand.


Female Human (Varisian) Witch (Hedge Witch) 2 {HP 14/14; AC 12, T 11, FF 11; F+2 R+1 W+5; Init+2 Perc+4} {Effects: none}

Is the shrieking disembodied head saying anything we can understand, or is it just making incoherent sounds?


HP 53/53, AC- 21, Flat-Footed- 19, Touch- 12 CMD 19, Fort- +9, Reflex- +6, Will- +10, Perception- +13, Init- +5, AOO- +9 (1d10+6), Judgement 2/2, Bane 6/6

Retcon-

Gah! Morghrim exclaimed in alarm as he saw Sejanus. The other Westcrown Defenders could easily recall the last time they had faced a Tiefling she had been shooting crossbow bolts at them and the time before that, one had cut off one of his precious braids, causing him to head-butt the fiend unconscious. Morghrim's face struggled not to show emotion and then downright alarm and suspicion as the man seemed keen to fiddle with the crux.

He took Ailyn aside and carefully explained the role the intelligent Glaive had played inside the mansion and talked about his hopes to have it smuggled out to a major Shelynite church. Occasionally his suspicious eyes darted to watch the newcomer Tiefling but Valeron and Addie seemed at ease...

Cheliax

Black Addie wrote:
Is the shrieking disembodied head saying anything we can understand, or is it just making incoherent sounds?

Just shrieking and screaming, nothing intelligible.

Retcon

Ailyn listens to Morghrim's plea before responding, "Morghrim, I do not plan to leave Westcrown for a while yet, but when I do, you have my word that I will take the glaive with me and deliver it to the Shelynite church in Absalom. I trust this is acceptable?"


Male Tiefling Alchemist (Grenadier) 6 -- HP 45/45 : AC 16 CMD 17 Touch 13 Flat 15 : dagger+4; 1d4 : bomb+8; 3d6+6 : F +7 R +9 W +4 : INIT +2 Perc +12 CMB +4

Sejanus grunts in pain as fire washes over him from the puzzle box. Despite his fiendish resistance, several burns and blisters form on his hands. He gasps in delight as the Crux opens, and stares in wonderment at the head that drops to the floor. He bends down to study it.

Knowledge (arcana) 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (20) + 17 = 37
Knowledge (nature) 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (18) + 17 = 35

He reaches out to touch it, then notices the burns on his hands. He retrieves two vials from the pouch at his belt and drinks them. The blisters recede and fade and his skins returns to its normal pale coloring.

Drinks two cure light wounds extracts.
1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
1d8 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Male Human Cleric 5 / Inheritor's Crusader 1

"Hmmm" is the only sound that Valeron can make as the items within the Crux become known.

"Should we start with the portfolio? Let us be careful of any magical wards..."

Valeron will detect magic on all of the items while he warily regards the silver box and wands. He will unfurl the scrolls and see if they are divine in origin, as well.

He'll assist Addie on Spellcraft of any of the items, as well.

Spellcraft wand #1 (aid Addie): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Spellcraft wand #2 (aid Addie): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


HP: 44 /44; 0 non-lethal AC 19; touch 14; flat-footed 16 Fort: +5; Reflex: +5; Will: -1

If Kev looked shocked at the appearance of the head, it was nothing compared to his face now that Valeron has started rummaging through paperwork. "Are you seriously worrying about some scrolls when there's a f@$#ing screaming decapitated head just lying right there? Pardon the pun, but doesn't that just scream, 'Examine me first, I'm a little unusual!'?"


Male Human Cleric 5 / Inheritor's Crusader 1

LOL @ Kev. I totally zoned out about the shrieking head with all the ret-conning and potion drinking.

After brushing his hand against his longsword, Valeron stares in shock at the head, trying to comprehend how it could be "alive".

Know (Religion): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21


Female Human (Varisian) Witch (Hedge Witch) 2 {HP 14/14; AC 12, T 11, FF 11; F+2 R+1 W+5; Init+2 Perc+4} {Effects: none}
Kevorin wrote:
If Kev looked shocked at the appearance of the head, it was nothing compared to his face now that Valeron has started rummaging through paperwork. "Are you seriously worrying about some scrolls when there's a f&*!ing screaming decapitated head just lying right there? Pardon the pun, but doesn't that just scream, 'Examine me first, I'm a little unusual!'?"

"Well, it definitely screams," Addie replies drily, moving over to examine the shrieking, decapitated head with a clinical detachment as she casts a spell to discern magical auras.

Which type of Knowledge skill would be applicable?

Cheliax

Sorry for the delay...the last few days have been Hell. Will update tonight.

Cheliax

Ailyn, Arael, and Janiven stand in stunned silence as the objects drop out of the Crux. Unfortunately, none of the items present seem to be a key.

After being out of the Crux for a few moments, the bodiless head finally stops shrieking, but now switches to random burst of Infernal profanity and moments of nearly catatonic silence.

Valeron seems to believe that only strong necromantic magic could achieve such effect as what he sees looking at the woman's head. Moments later Addie's own investigation confirms the presence of strong necromancy. While her spell of magical detection is still ongoing, Addie determines that the two wands, three scrolls, and four auras from within the silver box radiate as magical.

Quickly glancing over the scrolls, Valeron indeed confirms that the scrolls are divine in nature, and quiet powerful at that.

Valeron:
The scrolls are Remove Curse, Scrying, and Heal

Each at the minimum caster level to cast the spell in question. (i.e the Heal scroll is CL 11, Remove Curse is CL 5, and Scrying is CL 9)

Ailyn's eyes light up seeing the portfolio with the script "D". She smiles as she quietly says, "At last, something useful about Delvehaven."

Should Addie want to make the Spellcraft rolls to ID the Wands, she will make them at a +2 as Valeron has already successfully aided in the process.

Wand #1 DC 24:
Wand of Break Enchantment (8 charges)

Wand #2 DC 22:
Wand of Death Ward (7 charges)


Female Human (Varisian) Witch (Hedge Witch) 2 {HP 14/14; AC 12, T 11, FF 11; F+2 R+1 W+5; Init+2 Perc+4} {Effects: none}

Addie offers quick prayers to The Gentleman as she examines the wands. (Casting Guidance to aid with each Spellcraft check.)

DC 24 Spellcraft check: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 14 + 2 + 1 = 31
DC 22 Spellcraft check: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 14 + 2 + 1 = 33

"The first wand contains magic that can break enchantments," she announces after a few moments' study. "The second wand contains magic to ward against death effects."

Hearing the decapitated head speak in Infernal, Addie addresses it in the same language.

Infernal:
"What are you? How did you come to be imprisoned in the Chelish Crux?"


Male Tiefling Alchemist (Grenadier) 6 -- HP 45/45 : AC 16 CMD 17 Touch 13 Flat 15 : dagger+4; 1d4 : bomb+8; 3d6+6 : F +7 R +9 W +4 : INIT +2 Perc +12 CMB +4

Did my checks reveal anything about the head? They were pretty darn good rolls. :)

Knowledge (arcana) 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (20) + 17 = 37
Knowledge (nature) 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (18) + 17 = 35


HP 53/53, AC- 21, Flat-Footed- 19, Touch- 12 CMD 19, Fort- +9, Reflex- +6, Will- +10, Perception- +13, Init- +5, AOO- +9 (1d10+6), Judgement 2/2, Bane 6/6

Its undead, clearly Knowledge (Religion) territory ;).

Morghrim thought that perhaps he had read of something like this...

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

Cheliax

Much like Valeron and Addie before, Morghrim is sure that there is some sort of strong necromancy magic at work here, but upon further inspection, the woman's head is clearly not undead.

Knowledge (Planes) is what you are looking for to get more information about the head.


HP 53/53, AC- 21, Flat-Footed- 19, Touch- 12 CMD 19, Fort- +9, Reflex- +6, Will- +10, Perception- +13, Init- +5, AOO- +9 (1d10+6), Judgement 2/2, Bane 6/6

Make that a 29 then. If I must re-roll-

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27

Cheliax

Looking at the head, currently in catatonic silence, Morghrim believes the head belongs to, or at least used to belong to an Erinyes.


Male Tiefling Alchemist (Grenadier) 6 -- HP 45/45 : AC 16 CMD 17 Touch 13 Flat 15 : dagger+4; 1d4 : bomb+8; 3d6+6 : F +7 R +9 W +4 : INIT +2 Perc +12 CMB +4

Sejanus takes a knee and bends down close to the screaming head. He whispers in a guttural language, dark and sinister.

Infernal:
"Calm yourself, Daughter of Hell. How long were you in that box?

Cheliax

Sejanus, give me a Diplomacy check.


Male Tiefling Alchemist (Grenadier) 6 -- HP 45/45 : AC 16 CMD 17 Touch 13 Flat 15 : dagger+4; 1d4 : bomb+8; 3d6+6 : F +7 R +9 W +4 : INIT +2 Perc +12 CMB +4

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16 Not too bad.

Cheliax

Desite his best efforts to do so, Sejanus is unable to calm down the screaming Erinyes head. It seems that she has been driven quite mad during her untold amount of time in the Crux.


HP: 44 /44; 0 non-lethal AC 19; touch 14; flat-footed 16 Fort: +5; Reflex: +5; Will: -1

"I have a suggestion," Kev says, hefting his axe.


Female Human (Varisian) Witch (Hedge Witch) 2 {HP 14/14; AC 12, T 11, FF 11; F+2 R+1 W+5; Init+2 Perc+4} {Effects: none}

"If it was included with the information about Delvehaven, it must have some sort of use," Addie theorizes, pointing to the screaming devil head. "Maybe we should put it back in the Crux for safekeeping until we can look at those documents - maybe they'll shed some light on the head's purpose"

Cheliax

At mention of placing her back in the Crux, the head begins to scream and shriek louder. The screams have an almost pleading quality to them.


HP 53/53, AC- 21, Flat-Footed- 19, Touch- 12 CMD 19, Fort- +9, Reflex- +6, Will- +10, Perception- +13, Init- +5, AOO- +9 (1d10+6), Judgement 2/2, Bane 6/6

Erinyes. Still a devil. Maybe make a deal with it. That or sew the damn thing's mouth shut.


HP: 44 /44; 0 non-lethal AC 19; touch 14; flat-footed 16 Fort: +5; Reflex: +5; Will: -1

"Maybe our captured glaive can talk some sense into the thing."

Cheliax

Ailyn raises a eyebrow, interested in seeing the glaive in question. "The poor thing seems to have lost her mind." Glancing up from the screaming head to look toward Arael and Valeron, "Perhaps one of you has some way of healing her fractured mind?"


HP 53/53, AC- 21, Flat-Footed- 19, Touch- 12 CMD 19, Fort- +9, Reflex- +6, Will- +10, Perception- +13, Init- +5, AOO- +9 (1d10+6), Judgement 2/2, Bane 6/6

A Restoration spell mebbe... Morghrim suggested to Valeron. Best not to involve the Glaive... the mind inside it will not aid us.

DM, Morghrim would have shown Ailyn the Glaive when he spoke to her about it.

Cheliax

Morgrhim:
*DING-DING-DING* We have a right answer ;)


Male Human Cleric 5 / Inheritor's Crusader 1

At first reluctant, Valeron sighs as he resigns himself to "dealing" with the screaming, severed head.

After sorting through his bag, he produces the restoration wand and attempts to remedy the head's issues with a charge.

Lesser Restoration: 1d4 ⇒ 4


Female Human (Varisian) Witch (Hedge Witch) 2 {HP 14/14; AC 12, T 11, FF 11; F+2 R+1 W+5; Init+2 Perc+4} {Effects: none}

Actually, I believe the wand casts the level 4 Restoration spell.

Cheliax

Black Addie wrote:
Actually, I believe the wand casts the level 4 Restoration spell.

That is correct.

Valeron uses a charge off of the potent wand a moments later the head stops shrieking and screaming, but switches to simply pleading.

"Thank you...please, please do not put me back in that damned box. How long has it been? Does Darghentu Veed still live?"


Male Human Cleric 5 / Inheritor's Crusader 1

Valeron arches an eyebrow as the head's sanity returns and begins asking questions.

"I... do not know. Tell us your name and how you came to be in this box, and we will see what questions of yours we are able to answer."

Diplomacy (to adjust head's attitude to friendly/helpful, if needed):1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34

Yeah, that should do :)

Cheliax

The erinyes head's expression changes slightly, blinking a few times as if trying to decide how to answer the question. "At one time...before my current...condition, I was known as Khazrae Khulata."


Male Tiefling Alchemist (Grenadier) 6 -- HP 45/45 : AC 16 CMD 17 Touch 13 Flat 15 : dagger+4; 1d4 : bomb+8; 3d6+6 : F +7 R +9 W +4 : INIT +2 Perc +12 CMB +4

"The name is unfamiliar. Which infernal lord did you serve? And how did you come to be in that box?"

Cheliax

Khazrae raises an eyebrow at the list of questions from the tiefling, "I once served the Pit Fiend, Baalzephon...but that was long before my current state. I ask you again, does Darghentu Vheed still live?"


Female Human (Varisian) Witch (Hedge Witch) 2 {HP 14/14; AC 12, T 11, FF 11; F+2 R+1 W+5; Init+2 Perc+4} {Effects: none}

"It's been 80 years since Vheed was made the first Lord Mayor of Westcrown by the House of Thrune. There've been four other Lord Mayors since then. Vheed's been gone for a long time," Addie informs the erinyes head, an expression of mixed curiosity and revulsion on her face.

Addie, Morghrim, and Valeron each can use the Wand of Break Enchantment and the Wand of Death Ward, and Sejanus can use the Wand of Death Ward as well. How do you all want to allocate them?

Cheliax

"Vheed is dead?" Kharae asks, as wicked smile of pleasure crosses her face upon hearing the news.

"It was Vheed who imprisioned me in the Crux."


Female Human (Varisian) Witch (Hedge Witch) 2 {HP 14/14; AC 12, T 11, FF 11; F+2 R+1 W+5; Init+2 Perc+4} {Effects: none}

"Well then. Since we were the ones who released you from your imprisonment, perhaps you'd be willing to do us a service in return. Tell us everything you know about Delvehaven - what happened there after the House of Thrune came to power, what happened to the Thrune Pathfinders who took it over, and why did the government seal it?"

Her eyes narrow as she adds, "Remember, we can always put you back in the Crux."

Cheliax

"Delvehaven? Yes I lived inside its walls for a time with Vheed." upon uttering the name of Vheed, Khazrae launches into a long string of profanity in Infernal all concerning her former "master". Eventually calming down long enough to say, "Although I have to admit it has been quite sometime since I have been there and my memories are a bit clouded. Perhaps if you were to bring me with you, my memories would be rekindled within Delvehaven's walls."

3,301 to 3,350 of 3,462 << first < prev | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Talomyr's Council of Thieves All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.