Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign - Chp1:The Smugglers Shiv (Inactive)

Game Master terok

With the defeat of the dark Dryad and surviving many of the islands others challenges, the party is well on their way to becoming the Shiv's masters...only Ieana stands in their way...


1,501 to 1,550 of 3,325 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim is sitting cross legged in the grass as you approach. His eyes are closed and he seems to be breathing deeply. As you get closer he opens his eyes and stands, nodding to the group. He listens quietly as each of you speak, and when he responds, it is obvious the anger is gone.

I am sorry for my outburst. Although I stand by what I said, I should not have lost my composure. My frustration springs from the fact that many creatures we encounter on this island presuppose to judge our worth to serve their ends. It seems to me that the same standard should be applied to them by ourselves. I do not see why should take orders from some tree harpy we just met. Has she proven herself worthy of our assistance? It is nothing to offer a reward for a job when those doing the job may never return to claim it. We are to risk our lives with nothing more offered than her word and promises?

That being said, much like the rest of you, I planned on visiting the grey island from the moment I saw it. Something about it did not sit well with me, and if the dryad is to be trusted, we now know why...

I will go, but it is not because she asks...

...I could care less about seeing her again. I am not a puppet on a string to be worked...

Nim looks to the treetops and adds, And the same goes double for the mountain devil! I shall remove its head if it shows itself to me!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai sighs "Regardless of the isle of blight, I see a choice of two paths laid out for us. The devil seeks the death of the dryad and if we do not kill the dryad, then the devil will seek our death. If we walk from this hill leaving her breathing... then our first action must be to slay the mountain devil."


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

Smiling at Nim's words and gripping his sword. I would like to see this blighted island as well. If there is something there that one of our puppeteers fears mayhap we could find a way to use whatever it is to manipulate them!

Corbius nods at Mihai's words as his eyes scan the horizon looking for the devil beast approaching as if expecting it to appear any moment.

I agree that we must deal with the mountain devil. Perhaps we could ambush it somehow?


Just waiting for this to play out...just let me know if you want to go back to camp first or go straight to the gray island.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Ack! Attack of the bold! Nothing but dialogue in this post, so un-bolded for eye safety.

"So I count Aedalis, Nim, Corbius, and myself in favor of at least going to the grey isle and exploring it. I think that we are ready to give Aycenia an answer (of sorts), although Tragershen is quiet and Mihai speaks in riddles; but she can wait, as she was not entirely forthcoming with us."

"We also need to settle the question of what to do next. I must say, Mihai, your last riddle has caused me to reconsider. If we make killing the Red Mountain Devil our top priority, then going back to camp and setting an ambush is not the most direct way of accomplishing it."

"When I suggested that, I was thinking in terms of 'the more hands the better'... but what's true against human cannibals might not be true against a single powerful monster. Perhaps it would be better for us to simply head directly to the Red Mountain first thing in the morning, and settle the matter at our own choice of place and time. This idea appeals to me more, because what kind of hunter waits to be attacked at his home with his friends? We know where our prey lives; let's go there."


"The devil has been keeping tabs on us, that we know. If we fail to deal with it quickly, it will certainly start to pick us off one at a time. And if we are weakened in dealing with the blight, coming off that island would be a perfect time for the devil to deal with us. While I am in the camp that believes we need to deal with the devil quickly, I would be willing to address the blight first if the majority feels that way."

After a moment's thought, Tragershen adds "Does anyone think there is a way we could deceive the devil into thinking we have indeed dealt with the dryad as he demanded, and would it be to our advantage to do so?"


Nim:

You have to admit though that the Dryad and the red hued Oak tree have your curiosity up. You have never seen an Oak with that coloration before. Of course you have not met many Dryad's before so it is unknown to you if this is part of the relationship between the two. Maybe Aedalis or Tragershen might know more.

Aedalis:

You are a little more cautious than the others about dealing with this creature. You guess that facing the Chupacabra without a significant advantage may lead to one or more deaths of this group...

You are discussing when Pezcock appears. I see, werrrrrupt, that you came back alive. That is good. I was worried. You are discussing your next steps no? I can guide you somewhere if you need it? Of course it is late. he looks up into the sky towards the soon coming night.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim remains quiet after having said his bit, listening to the others debate the merits of one course of action over another. He eventually shrugs his shoulders and offers little by way of opinion. I go as the group decides...

In response to Tragershen's question Nim adds, Doubtful. Both because we likely do not possess the means, and because it would require a certain level of trust and co-operation from the Dryad...

Nim follows Pezcock's gaze and agrees. It is getting late. Do you think that we could make camp near your home this evening? We would be most appreciative...

DM:
I thought the tree was a Banyon tree? ;)

Aedalis:
At some point after leaving the Dryad's hill, Nim makes a point to pull you aside and ask your opinion of the Dryad's bonded tree. I have to admit that the red hued Banyon tree has my curiosity up. I have never seen one with that coloration before. Of course I have not met many Dryad's before so it is unknown to me if this is part of the relationship between the two. I thought maybe that you might know more...

Tragershen:
At some point after leaving the Dryad's hill, Nim makes a point to pull you aside and ask your opinion of the Dryad's bonded tree. I have to admit that the red hued Banyon tree has my curiosity up. I have never seen one with that coloration before. Of course I have not met many Dryad's before so it is unknown to me if this is part of the relationship between the two. I thought maybe that you might know more...


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton looks at the sky with a skeptical eye, holding his chin thoughtfully. "I don't like traveling in the dark. I might as well be blind for all I can see at night. I think it would be better for us to take the dryad up on her offer to camp on this hill."

Everyone:
I just felt like getting in on the spoiler action. Mission accomplished! :p


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

"While I do not trust the dryad... I am confident that she needs us and would leave us unharmed. We also know that we are safe from the devil here... I would side with Anton and propose we make use of her invitation."

Mihai's spell loadout will change post-rest, will confirm once I've settled on the details


Nim, DM:
Based on Nim's request, Tragershen closes his eyes and focuses. Can he recall having heard anything in his lectures or read anything in his studies about red banyon trees, or strains of dryads that may have unusual red trees? Knowledge Nature 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

Anton:
Spoilering is awesome! All the cool kids are doing it!


Pezcock confirms that you can't reach his "nest" before dark.
The jungle seems very quiet around here. Much more than you are used to. The night seems to pass without incident though other than one bird that sits up in a tree staring at you intently...in an almost odd way...
Sometime in the night it disappears but you are quick to notice another bird in a different tree seeming to be watching you as well.

Aedalis & Tragershen:

Going off of Aedalis original check & Tragershen's which was bot good enough to know these facts:
Dryads are benign guardians of trees, and though they can do little in the way of direct violence, they can trap and disable threats to their homes or turn enemies into allies.
Some keep one or more charmed humanoids in their territory to fend off or lead away attackers. Incapacitated foes are typically dragged to the edge of the forest by the dryad’s allies and left there, but evil or overtly hostile ones are killed once combat is over.
Two things strike you as odd. First the Dryad seems to be deceiving according to Mihai which is a little out of character from what you have heard about them, also the coloration of the tree is not something either of you have heard before. Usually they bond with a tree but it has no visual effects.

2nd of Neth

You awake the next morning feeling good and refreshed. What are your plans?


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Sorry guys, been quite ill today and barely made any posts anywhere. DM, could you bot Aedalis and tell Nim what he wants to know? Got a 29 on the earlier knowledge (Nature) I believe. I'll be turning in for the night quite soon so don't want the group waiting on me.


Nim, go ahead and read the spoiler for them. Get some rest Alex and get to feeling better!


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Wow, Stephen that ninja was actually of legendary proportions. *Tips hat*. Will do!


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

1st of Neth

Unable to come to a decision before bedtime about their next course of action, the intrepid adventurers inform the deceitful dryad that they'll explore the grey isle on their own schedule and for their own reasons. Maybe they'll even do something about the blight while they're at it.

2nd of Neth

Although the bird watching them is far more likely a minion of the nature fey whose hill they're on than of an arrogant, man-eating monster, Anton is disinclined to take chances. He shoos it away, slinging a pebble in its general direction as a warning shot. Privacy obtained, he broaches the big question: "So. What next?"

"Do we go straight to the Red Mountain to kill its Devil? Back to the ruins to set an ambush? Something else? This is not a case where my skills at exploring give me any advantage. I favor the direct approach, but I've been known to be wrong -- rarely, but it happens -- and I'd like to hear more perspectives."


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

"I would wager it would be unwise to seek the beast on it's own ground... it would be safer to choose grounds which we know."


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai changed out 1 x Bless for 1 x Shield of Faith


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

I must admit I am totally lost with the map... it has not been updated to reflect any of these changes to our intended course. Could you please give me a list of the hexes that need changing from the last map below?

Last map...


We are at a point where you have pretty much seen the entire island from her hill and your travels. Here is the map and I marked where the Dryad is. Pezcock's crab is in U16.
Link: SS Map


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

I agree chasing the beast into it's home territory is to dangerous. It would be better to draw it in somehow and attack in a situation of our choosing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Aedalis shook his head slowly as he finally weighed in.

I know more of these Chupucabra's than any of you. This is not arrogance speaking, but simple truth. I've researched such creatures extensively and this one dwarfs even the "usual" others of its ilk. Without a clearer advantage, lives will be lost. The beast clearly fears the Dryad he pointed out as he continued to reason.

And perhaps with good reason. Mihai seemed sure she tried to deceive us, which is not at all in character for a normal Dryad. Add to that the strange colouration of her tree- once again, this is not something a Dryad's influence should have on it. I suspect much as we are not dealing with a normal Chupucabra, we are also not dealing with a normal Dryad. Perhaps its something to do with this island, some latent magical aura that twists its inhabitants. After all... the walking dead? Cannibalism? The strange Dryad and the powerful Chupa?

Aedalis petted Tilsini as he came to his conclusion.

We are not ready to face it- not yet. Chasing the beast or trying to attack it now is not a logical course of action. This Dryad gives the beast pause. We do not- and only one of these two forces on the island is actively promising to slay us if we do not do its bidding. No matter how the Fey has offended you, put away your pride- we would do well to secure an alliance with her. We should deal with the grey island. For one thing, we have others depending on us. The sooner we can secure an alliance and move our camp to here, where the beast dares not come, the safer they will be.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai's voice does not change in timbre, but you can sense a certain tightness to his face and jaw as he responds "The wood witch is tied to her tree and cannot help us beyond this hill... she cannot protect us or those that rely upon us back at the ruins. The mountain devil watches us, and will know that we have visited the witch and not slain her when we walk from this hill. What are we to do when it comes calling?"

For clarity - Mihai believes that the chupa is likely to visit us as soon as we leave the hill. When it finds out we haven't killed the dryad, he's deducted that the chupa will try and kill us... or go to kill our friends at the ruins camp.
At this point he isn't currently concerned about alliances or the tainted isle - just surviving once the devil realises we haven't killed the dryad.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

We tell it we are going to use whatever she is so afraid of on this grey isle to slay her. If it even notices. You cannot assume its watching us all the time, especially in this place. A chupacabra has needs.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

"And you cannot assume it is not... all paths before us have risks, and lives at stake."


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton listens intently to his new friends. "I'm an optimist and a realist. I think that if we have special knowledge then we should use it, and that if it's a possibility that we're doomed then we should ignore it. There's no point in planning to fail."

The well-armed halfling leans forward where he sits on the pleasant hill, sun shining and birds tweeting in the background. "I trust that Aedalis knows what he's talking about -- and Mihai, you said yourself that Aycenia was understating the chupacabra's threat. If we're outmatched, then so be it. I change my vote to go back to the ruins, spend a night in comfort with our friends, and then check out the blighted islet."

"Maybe the mountain devil watches us, and maybe we're not actually as important to it as we think. If one of those means probable death, and the other means that at least we have a chance, then I'll take that chance and deal with it if I'm wrong." Done with his impassioned monologue, the emotional ranger leans back.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Aedalis felt Mihai was stating the obvious but he respected the man's companionship- he had been through more with him than the others.

I never assumed it was not, but it seems objectively, unlikely. It fears this place- why would it venture inside merely to watch us? It is an arrogant beast; I do not believe it would even consider that we wouldn't do its bidding. If it watches the hill from afar, it cannot watch each direction at once.

Aedalis added another thought.

Travelling at night with minimal night would minimise the risk of encountering it still further. It can see in the dark like a Dwarf or Orc, but its vision is limited in this regard much like those races. If it does seek to pick us off one by one though, the advantage is with it in the night more than ever.

Aedalis smiled at Anton in gratitude for his kind words. The older man gave his final counsel and put his motion to a vote.

I feel we should make for the grey island today- we secure an alliance and a safe haven with a more reasonable ally than a blood-thirsty, predatory magical beast. The island even gives us something of an alibi if the chupa confronts us en route- it probably knows the Dryad fears it. Are any of you in favor of this idea?


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

In truth Mihai did not disbelieve their words, but merely wished to ensure that the path tread was known and the risks understood. He gives a mild nod before stating "I will walk with the group"


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

The island is fine with me...


You decide to head to the gray island. After a quick discussion with Pezcock it is evident that due to the tides you have to cross early tomorrow morning so you will probably spend the night by his crabshack.
You make your way back through jungle and trails and get back to his shack just before noon. Perched on top of the shack is the Red Mountain Devil.
Pezcock freezes at the sight of the beast....at about 50 feet it speaks to you.
So have you made any progressss against the wood witch? Probably not unless you carry her head in one of those sssacks?

It continues to talk before you even answer...

I guess the other humansss decided to strike against your camp again while you were gone. They carried off two of your people back to their camp. I care little for their fate, but I thought it another sign of my good will towards our deal. Kill her for me otherwise I will grow tired of our little game and decide to turn my attention to you. Though you might want to get your humans back before they end up as food for the man-eaterssss. You have three more nights to fulfill our deal before I decide you are now my prey...

You only have a few seconds to say anything back to it before it starts to fly off.

Aedalis, you are fully surprised by the intelligence this creature is showing. You have never heard of an example of one like this before...a rare find indeed.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai feels a coldness around his heart that his fears were realized... or at least seemed to be so. He did not speak, as apparently the creature was disinterested in their thoughts... but he did study the devil...
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
...to try and ken if the devil was truly as disinterested as he stated. It seemed to be going out of it's way to attempt to force them... perhaps it was behind the cannibals being sent to attack the ruins camp again?


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton listens carefully to the menacing monster, but has no reply until it is gone. "Well, bugger."


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Why does the Wood Witch fear the Grey Island? We need more time to use it against her! Aedalis shouted at the beast.

After-

I suppose the grey island will have to wait- but once we rescue the others, I think we should relocate them to the Dryad's grove. She will have to take it on faith that we will deal with the island promptly afterwards.


The Red Devil gives Aedalis a wide toothed little grin as it begins to lift to the air, Whatever isss on that island is not natural and growing...she is tied to this island so it is probably one of the few thingsss it fears.
If you speak with the wood witch, don't trust it...or you will disappear like the others.
and it lifts to the air, heading east.

@ Mihai, You sensed no disception from the Red Devil on either of its statements as far as you can tell. Maybe it just believes what it is saying. Of course it is a little harder to read this creature's body language than the humaniods you usually deal with.


Back to your camp or straight to the Cannibal camp?

Pezcock stands there almost shaking with fear, It knows where is live...I am no longer safe. Can I travel with you for the time being?


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim had begun to heft his spear in anticipation of hurling it at the Red Mountain Devil when it appeared before them. Before he could get a clear shot, the thing had had its chance to speak and Nim lowered his spear. Nim's mind raced... Who has been taken? Sasha?! Nim cursed under his breath. Nim almost threw his spear at the retreating monster out of anger alone, but stayed his hand as he knew a more important fight awaited them elsewhere. Your time shall come devil! Nim thought to himself.

Agreed. The grey island waits for now. Rescuing the others from the cannibals obviously takes priority. Nim shakes his head as he adds, I do not agree however that they should be left with the Dryad. We do not know enough about her... and things don't seem right. I just don't trust her!

Her tree... the red color... the color of blood... the fact that both the devil and the cannibals have stated that those that cross her disappear. That is unlike any Dryad I have heard of. This all leads me to believe something is seriously amiss with her. Even the devil fears her... and she doesn't seem concerned that it wishes her dead.

Nim nods to Pezcock, in reply to his request. Of course. It was my preference all along.

Turning to the others, Nim asks, Do we trust the devil at its word and make for the cannibals directly? Or should we return to camp first? If the devil lies, and the cannibals have not carried off some of our number, he is just trying to provoke another clash. If he speaks the truth and we delay, will it be too late for those taken?

If the cannibals bested our camp... why did they take only two? The endless possibilities swirl in Nim's mind... If we return to camp we will be stronger in number, and I am sure they would wish to know that we are attempting a rescue...

He throws back his head and yells at the sky in frustration.

Regaining his composure he remarks, What say the rest of you? Make for the cannibals directly or back to camp first?

What kind of delay/time frame are we looking at? What kind of delay are we looking at if we return to camp first before going looking for the cannibal camp? Do we even know where the cannibals are specifically?


You are probably looking at about a day's delay if you return to the camp and then go against the Cannibals.
Pezcock knows where their camp is and after a brief discussion you can barely get there before dark today or go back to your camp and then possibly get there at the end of the day tommorrow.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Make for the cannibals. We owe it to the others to not risk that the beast told the truth.


DM Stephen wrote:
Pezcock stands there almost shaking with fear, It knows where is live...I am no longer safe. Can I travel with you for the time being?

"I would only put forth one condition. Should you decide to resume your solitary ways, let us know first before departing our company. We certainly wouldn't hold a choice like that against you; you have done remarkably well here on your own! But you see how me are, choosing now to go after our companions taken by the cannibals. If you were to disappear without word to us of your decision, we would fear for your safety and unnecessarily try to seek you out."

Tragershen makes a mental list... Cannibals, Blight Island, Red Mountain Devil, dryad... They certainly have their work cut out for them.

I'll check Tragershen's spells in a bit to see if they need adjusting before pressing on.


Just remember that you are not resting overnight so it will be hard to do any adjusting unless you left a slot open.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai sighs the roads are not easy... but they must be walked. "Aye Aedalis, let us make with haste for the cannibals. Even if the devil is lieing to us, then they are a similar blight upon this island that we would do well to excise."


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

"The cannibals for sure. They demonstrated a clear lack of self-restraint in the battle. If the beast tells true, then one dinnertime could be one too many; if false, well... I've been wanting to end their threat anyway." He looks off into the distance thoughtfully and pulls out an average, ordinary dagger that looks rather large in his hand.

"This belonged to a friend that I cared about very much. It's not my only momento of her" -- he shows an iron holy symbol of Desna -- "and I'm fairly groaning under the weight of all my weapons. Would you like to use it? Just in case." Anton spins the dagger in the air briefly, catching it by its sheath and presenting it hilt-first to Pezcock.


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

Corbius bristles at the news that the cannibals have again struck at the camp his hand clenching in frustration. After watching the beast fly away he listens to the discussion of the others as they decide what to do his jaw clenching steadily throughout.

Quote:

Turning to the others, Nim asks, Do we trust the devil at its word and make for the cannibals directly? Or should we return to camp first? If the devil lies, and the cannibals have not carried off some of our number, he is just trying to provoke another clash. If he speaks the truth and we delay, will it be too late for those taken?

If the cannibals bested our camp... why did they take only two? The endless possibilities swirl in Nim's mind... If we return to camp we will be stronger in number, and I am sure they would wish to know that we are attempting a rescue...

Although I do not trust this beast it seems unlikely that he would distract us with such measures if his true priority is the death of the Dryad. Why send us on a fools errand and give us an ultimatum as to when the witch must die? I think he tells the truth when he says they were carried off but I do not understand his motivations in sharing this information with us. it does not help his cause or speed us up? Beyond trying to convince us of his trust worthiness there is no benefit.

I agree that we should seek these cannibals out to rescue or companions though I worry for the fate of the ones that remain at the camp. We should act quickly however, I hate to think about what might happen to them if we were to delay.

I aslo wonder how they knew we would be gone and were so willing to attack us even though we recently bested them so easily.

Corbius grinds his teeth in frustration at any delay and is clearly ready to recovere the others.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

We have rested since encountering the Wood Witch though right? Never really got a chance to change my spells prepared.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai agrees with Corbius' assessment "Aye, the games of beasts and fae are beyond the ken of my mind. But as you say, we have trust enough to think it speaks truth of our companions' plight. Let us walk in faucibus mortis"

in faucibus mortis - into the jaws of death

I had thought we rested on the hill, but double checking the thread it looks like we set off to the crab-shack first, intending to rest there?


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

I'm a little confused by that because I thought we agreed to rest on the hill and it was already late evening etc.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

It was evening when we arrived at the wood witch's place (1st of Neth). After we talked to her, Pezcock confirmed that we couldn't get back to his home before dark, and so we rested on the dryad's hill. Today (2nd of Neth), we were going to spend the night by Pezcock's crabshack due to tides, even though we got there by noon -- but then we were plotambushed by a superchupa that sent all our plans to the circular file.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Gotcha, that's the reasoning I was going off. Was a little too swamped yesterday to change spell selection so i'll do it now.

Edit: Done. No drastic changes anyway.


Evening of the 2nd of Neth.

Between Anton and Pezcock you find the way to the Cannibals camp avoiding several more traps. The way was almost entirely on trails so you traversed the distance in suprising time pushing hard to get there as soon as you could.

Pezcock stops you when you can hear the ocean and the gulls squaking. He tells you that the trail rounds a corner and then goes up towards their camp that sits near the cliff face. Pezcock also tells you that there is a good view down the trail from the camp so it will be hard for you to approach that way without being seen.

The only other way up appears to be thick jungle and a moderate slope.

How do you plan to approach and any other plans for assaulting the camp? Looks like getting to the top may take longer than minute duration spells so you will probably want to hold onto those.
You were told some information about the camp, see below:
1. How many does the remaining tribe number?
I think there is at least this many again alive. Although some of our number are always out hunting for food.
2. Any notable members? Their specialized abilities?
Malikadna, she is the Witch of our village. She has always been. She is the one that gives new leader his power. You kill all three of our best warriors...she will probably lead until someone new claims the right to leadership. She has very bad magic...I have seen her wither someone who displeases her into a corpse with her magic. She also curse you if you displease her.
3. Location of the tribe's camp? Travel time from here to there?
Ort points South-SouthWest, Go that way for half a day until you get to the trail. Follow the trail in that direction, if you run for half a day you may just get there. It is on the coast at bottom end of Island. he looks at your group, You not know jungle or trails, it take you two days...most likely.
4. Defenses of the camp?
We have scout watching trail up to camp. Also Shiv Dragon watches the trail up and attack anyone who not one of us. Can smell the difference, you will not smell right.
5. What does he know of the "night visitor"?
What is a night visitor? Ort not understand???, Corbius describes the creature that he encountered, Ort grows fearful and starts babbling. It takes you a few minutes to calm him down, That the Red Mountain Devil. We sacrifice to him once per moon to keep him happy. If he grows dipleased with us, hunters disappear. We were going to give at least one of you to him...please not give Ort to Red Mountain Devil. We hear the screams sometimes from his mountain if we grow too close, he eats very slow...
6. Other notable locations or inhabitants of the island?
Hmmm, we hear of the wood witch that way. he points more to the SW, If we go to close to her home, hunters also disappear.
Also crazy bird man lives over there points more over to the west-southwest area, he probably good eating, but he is fast and smart. We not capture him yet for the table.
7. Is he aware of a way off of the island?
No way off, this our home, me not want to leave, you stay here long time, maybe you become chief? Life hard here but hunting good! You kill Klorak, you should claim title of Chieftain! I support your claim, what you think?


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Well, obviously we can't approach via the trail without being spotted. Perhaps push through the jungle and come at them from a different angle?

1,501 to 1,550 of 3,325 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign PBP Chapter 1: Smugglers Shiv All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.