Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign - Chp1:The Smugglers Shiv (Inactive)

Game Master terok

With the defeat of the dark Dryad and surviving many of the islands others challenges, the party is well on their way to becoming the Shiv's masters...only Ieana stands in their way...


1,151 to 1,200 of 3,325 << first < prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | next > last >>

HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Aedalis is no stranger to a fight, but he has rarely been so up close to it before. He finds the whole thing somewhat distasteful and lets his younger companions pick the useful items from the dead and finish them. He sits quietly upon the wall of the ruin, watching over the group and joining any nearby conversations with remarks from his vantage point.

He does make a point of nodding to Nim as he passes later with something of an olive branch, saying-

Your a good man to have in the path of savage cannibals.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Tragershen will go around with his rapier, making sure the cannibals are all dead with the exception of the one prisoner. Once the battlefield is cleared, Tragershen will start using Presdigitation to clean out the ruins of any signs of the battle to help regain a sense of normalcy about the site they are staying at.

Later on, he'll ask the group So the creature that spoke to Corbius was right about the raiding group. Now is it safe to assume it will return and demand some sort of tribute? And if it does, how do you all propose we respond to such a thing?


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

With violence and blood. Such a creature will only demand more and more over time, I have little doubt. It is a formidable magical beast, but no match for all of us. We do however, need to make sure it doesn't catch us unaware in the night again either way...

Is there room in the trapdoor room for all of us?


Aedalis:

Although you make that assumption, it occurs to you that this might be a more unique creature, since it obviously has a greater than animal intellgence and it is much larger than it's normal kind. Maybe if you get a chance to see it and interact with it...the idea intrigues you a little...

Most of the bodies are just that...bodies. Tragershen does finish a couple of Cannibals that may have survived with assistance though.

Anton & Nim:

This many bodies is sure to attract a lot of Carnivores to the area. Before you know it you could be neck deep in Monitor Lizards or something similar if you don't do something about it...

The chamber below is large enough to house the group of you, although it would be a little tight.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Sorry for the slight retcon... but seeing as how the fleeing cannibal (#5) has only gotten less than a 15 second head start, Nim would very much be interested in giving chase... longstrider, woodland stride and entangle vs fatigued barbarian... Nim really does not want the cannibal getting away.

PS. I have a funeral tomorrow. Will be out of action all day most likely. Back on Thurday.


When you look for the last Cannibal he seems to have disappeared. In fact you trace back his tracks and about 100 yards from your camp they suddenly stop...like he vanished into thin air...


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Or like straight up into the air... *cues the Predator music*... Get to tha choppa!!! :)

Nim looks skyward as the tracks end. Looks like our mystery night visitor has snatched away our prey. And I doubt it was to help him escape. The question is... Was he taken to prevent us from catching or following him back to their camp? Or as punishment for failure...

I will respond to Aedalis and the others when I get a chance later...

Also... Corbius' wife is labour at this very moment so DMNPC him as needed.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Babies be droppin like flies! - good luck to Corbius and co, hope it goes smoothly and without too much stress.

Mihai is saddened at the sight of Tragershen methodically lancing the dying... but does not speak against it. He instead busies himself with the salving of the wounds of the living. Eavesdropping on the conversation about the creature that warned them, Mihai gets a cold shiver but has no wisdom to add.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton returns to camp from helping to bring down the last one in leather, and then trying to track the first one to flee. He sees the cannibal that surrendered. "Whaaat? You cannot allow man-eaters to live."

"After tasting human flesh and liking it, an animal becomes a threat to society. Any helpless or vulnerable person is a potential meal to them, with babies a tender delicacy. If none of you can do it, then I will put it down." Anton readies the thrown trident that he retrieved on the way back.

After whatever transpires there...

Anton pipes up. "You know, this many corpses are bound to bring carnivores around. Which do you think would be faster: to cut down enough wood for a pyre, or dig a mass grave? We do have two shovels."


Sasha walks up to Nim looking at the prisoner, casually putting her arm around his waste and quite matter of fact telling the rest of you...We should torture the man for information then feed him to the shocker lizards.
If the situation was reversed, we would be in his belly by the morning.


What??? We are not animals like these scum. If we reduce ourselved to their level what makes us better than them?

Gelik seems to fade away from the group giving you some excuse about checking on Ishirou...


Cracking her knuckles again, Give me 30 minutes alone with the creature and I will have him talking! smiling at Anton...you are not sure if you really believe she is capable of it, but it seems to be a good show.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai moves away with Jask, clearly sharing his sentiments on the prisoner. His head might know that questions need answers, but his heart would have no part in their elicitation. Catching up to Jask he places a hand upon his shoulder to share a knowing look before assisting in attending to Ishirou.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Then what is our alternative? Keep him a prisoner? Release him? Do we think he'll actually bend away from his past if shown mercy? We do need to know what he knows about the creature and if there remains more of his tribe to threaten us, or rival tribes?

Clearly Tragershen has no strong feelings one way or the other, as long as the threat the prisoner represents is neutralized and any valuable information he may have is gathered.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

After the discovery that the fleeing cannibal has vanished, Nim turns his attention to his injured wolf. He inspects Wicewakan, and soothes him stroking his fur, oblivious to his own wounds.

He raises no objections regarding the dispatching of the mortally wounded.

In response to Aedalis' offered words, Nim responds with a nod and replies, And you are a good man to have at one's side. You did not waiver when threatened and I respect that. Nim turns to address all of the group, As did you all! As I said before, we are stronger as a group. If we continue to look out for one another, we will survive and thrive here in this place until we can secure a way off of this island.

I am also in agreement with Aedalis regarding the night visitor. This creature is only interested in serving its own agenda. We should be extremely cautious in our dealings with it. Nim casts an eye towards the upper reaches of the trees, knowing the creature is likely watching and listening at this very moment. We can discuss the tribute this evening... we have other more urgent matters to attend to right now.

Nim returns his gaze to the others. We should dispose of these bodies. A funeral pyre is unnecessary work and likely to grab more attention than we wish. Digging is even more work, and will not deter animals from coming around. I say we dump the bodies down the hillside, drag them some distance and let nature take its course. Give the predators an easy meal and they will leave us alone for the time being.

Nim then turns his full attention to the prisoner. Rising to his full height and staring at the cowering man he speaks in a calm yet menacing tone. Jask is right, we are not savages ourselves. There will be no torture. This man will tell us what we want to know. If he refuses, or we suspect he speaks falsely, he shall join his tribe mates at the bottom of the ravine. If he cooperates, he will be set free. Albeit without his weapons. Nim leans in, looming over the man. I for one relish the opportunity to meet him and the rest of his tribe mates in open battle once more. Trial by combat.

Nim leans back and adds in a more casual tone, And it is likely the night visitor or some other jungle creature will nab you long before you make it back to whatever hole you call home, but that is for you to determine. Trial by survival.

XP total updated. How are we dividing the loot? What healing do we have available. Nim is at 7 of 21 HP and Wic is at 1 of 23 currently.


Okay, just let me know what questions the group would like to ask.

The Cannibal responds to Nim, I tell you what you want to know and you let me go, that is good deal!


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton is at 12/18. At the least, Mihai has 3 channels. Also: DM ninja'd! But it actually works that Ort would jump in to save his life, while Anton was still thinking.

Still holding his trident at the ready, Anton looks around at the others as they speak and/or leave, then sighs. "I'd rather just kill him outright and be done with it, but most everyone else wants him to talk, so I'll go along with that: he lives and leaves unarmed if he tells us what he knows, otherwise he dies."

IIRC, we never actually fixed the trapdoor's mechanism; Tragershen tried with Knowledge (engineering), but couldn't figure it out. Now that they might be sleeping in the cellar, Anton would at least try -- perhaps with Disable Device? -- even if he doesn't *know* how; but he wouldn't even speak of it in front of an enemy who might be released.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

I didn't really mind if he was killed or not Anton! Aedalis calls down encouragingly from his position above the interrogation on the wall as he feeds Tilsini, doting on his familiar. The warlock seems very cheerful now the battle is done with.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton nods at Aedalis solemnly. "That's good, since it still might happen."

Just to get a jump start on it, and since Anton doesn't have any questions...

Flextime: Rigging the trap door after Ort is dealt with

Happy to leave the trapdoor's mechanism to others before, Anton takes a personal interest in it when he might be sleeping in the magic lab. He had some experience sabotaging things as a scout in the Molthuni army, and then later dealing with traps as an explorer for hire. So, the clever ranger fiddles around with the mechanism to see if knowing how to break things can help him figure out how to fix them. Finding them in the way, he takes off his breastplate and backpack, and puts his lucerne hammer to one side. Disable Device: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29 Holy $%^&! Even as an optimist, I wasn't expecting that!!

Then, Anton attempts to rig a way to secure the trap door from the inside. He doesn't need to make a real lock that can be opened from the outside; but if only he could improvise roughly J-shaped brackets to attach to the bottom of the trap door and to the ceiling on either side, then a simple bar would make it take brute force to open. Untrained Craft (locks?) with improvised tools: 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 - 2 = 12

If that Craft check wasn't good enough:
The next meal they all have together, Anton makes an appeal. "If we're going to sleep in the cellar, then we could use a way to secure it. I made a start, but I could use all the help I can get for this latch, since I'm having some trouble with it. It would actually be my very first one -- not that I've ever let that stop me before!" The creative halfling grins with confidence from his previous successes at making new things that he didn't know how.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai soothes the injured with the will of the Walker. Nim and Wic receive special attention as the Varisian Pilgrim lays hands upon their hurt.

3 x Channel for 3d6 ⇒ (1, 1, 4) = 6 to all who are hurt.
CLW on Nim: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
CLW on Wic: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Mihai now has zero magical healing left.
Mihai could also do a cure deadly wounds Heal check if we're hanging around at the ruins for a while today (takes 1 hr per check)


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

And overnight care if needed.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Yep - just need to know from the boss-men whether we're hanging around for the day or not...


Jask has plenty to Channels left as well. 6 in fact.

Jask also makes his way around the wounded and offers comfort:
Channel Positive Energy 1d6 ⇒ 2
Channel Positive Energy 1d6 ⇒ 5


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim nods in agreement with Aedalis' and Anton's sentiments. Do not worry Anton, should Ort prove uncooperative or deceitful, you can exercise the right of execution if that is what you desire...

Soothed by Mihai's and Jask's replenishing magics, Nim offers praise and thanks to both. Nim 21/21, Wic 20/23

Regarding Anton's efforts with the trapdoor...

Nim looks skeptically at the ranger's efforts. While I agree being able to lock the trapdoor is to some benefit, I have serious reservations about all of us locking ourselves below together. It would be a simple matter to trap us down there until we starve to death...

Interrogation of Ort

Nim confers with the others (out of earshot of Ort) to decide a best line of questioning...

1. How many does the remaining tribe number?
2. Any notable members? Their specialized abilities?
3. Location of the tribe's camp? Travel time from here to there?
4. Defenses of the camp?
5. What does he know of the "night visitor"?
6. Other notable locations or inhabitants of the island?
7. Is he aware of a way off of the island?
8. ???

...and deciding who is best suited to ask the questions and determine the veracity of the answers given.

We can determine the plans for this day and the next after we deal with Ort. :) Nim has no strong inclinations either way. We can stay and recuperate or head out and do some additional exploration. Nim is looking forward to another sparring session with Sasha however.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

I think that's a solid set of questions. Tragershen is of the mindset that we need to deal with the cannibals now, aggressively, so they are not a constant threat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

1. How many does the remaining tribe number?
I think there is at least this many again alive. Although some of our number are always out hunting for food.

2. Any notable members? Their specialized abilities?
Malikadna, she is the Witch of our village. She has always been. She is the one that gives new leader his power. You kill all three of our best warriors...she will probably lead until someone new claims the right to leadership. She has very bad magic...I have seen her wither someone who displeases her into a corpse with her magic. She also curse you if you displease her.

3. Location of the tribe's camp? Travel time from here to there?
Ort points South-SouthWest, Go that way for half a day until you get to the trail. Follow the trail in that direction, if you run for half a day you may just get there. It is on the coast at bottom end of Island. he looks at your group, You not know jungle or trails, it take you two days...most likely.

4. Defenses of the camp?
We have scout watching trail up to camp. Also Shiv Dragon watches the trail up and attack anyone who not one of us. Can smell the difference, you will not smell right.

5. What does he know of the "night visitor"?
What is a night visitor? Ort not understand???, Corbius describes the creature that he encountered, Ort grows fearful and starts babbling. It takes you a few minutes to calm him down, That the Red Mountain Devil. We sacrifice to him once per moon to keep him happy. If he grows dipleased with us, hunters disappear. We were going to give at least one of you to him...please not give Ort to Red Mountain Devil. We here the screams sometimes from his mountain if we grow too close, he eats very slow...

6. Other notable locations or inhabitants of the island?
Hmmm, we hear of the wood witch that way. he points more to the SW, If we go to close to her home, hunters also disappear.
Also crazy bird man lives over there
points more over to the west-southwest area, he probably good eating, but he is fast and smart. We not capture him yet for the table.

7. Is he aware of a way off of the island?
No way off, this our home, me not want to leave, you stay here long time, maybe you become chief? Life hard here but hunting good! You kill Klorak, you should claim title of Chieftain! I support your claim, what you think?


Anton Green wrote:

Anton nods at Aedalis solemnly. "That's good, since it still might happen."

Just to get a jump start on it, and since Anton doesn't have any questions...

Flextime: Rigging the trap door after Ort is dealt with

Happy to leave the trapdoor's mechanism to others before, Anton takes a personal interest in it when he might be sleeping in the magic lab. He had some experience sabotaging things as a scout in the Molthuni army, and then later dealing with traps as an explorer for hire. So, the clever ranger fiddles around with the mechanism to see if knowing how to break things can help him figure out how to fix them. Finding them in the way, he takes off his breastplate and backpack, and puts his lucerne hammer to one side. Disable Device: 1d20 + 9 Holy $%^&! Even as an optimist, I wasn't expecting that!!

Then, Anton attempts to rig a way to secure the trap door from the inside. He doesn't need to make a real lock that can be opened from the outside; but if only he could improvise roughly J-shaped brackets to attach to the bottom of the trap door and to the ceiling on either side, then a simple bar would make it take brute force to open. Untrained Craft (locks?) with improvised tools: 1d20 + 2 - 2

** spoiler omitted **

The problem isn't the lock, you can repair that. The problem is the top of the hatch. It is 4-500 lbs of stone that the mechanism for opening/closing it was damaged pretty heavily when the trap was set off. You can seal youselves in, it just take some work to get back out by lifting the hatch and all of its weight.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
DM Stephen wrote:
The problem isn't the lock, you can repair that. The problem is the top of the hatch. It is 4-500 lbs of stone that the mechanism for opening/closing it was damaged pretty heavily when the trap was set off. You can seal youselves in, it just take some work to get back out by lifting the hatch and all of its weight.

The Disable Device check was an attempt to fix the mechanism -- I don't even know if it's possible with that skill, but Anton would at least try.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Gelik Aberwhinge:
Anton approaches the cautious gnome somewhat apologetically. "Sorry to ask this, but... could I have my dagger back? You seem fine with that club I made, and I have a new idea for a different fighting style."


Anton Green wrote:
DM Stephen wrote:
The problem isn't the lock, you can repair that. The problem is the top of the hatch. It is 4-500 lbs of stone that the mechanism for opening/closing it was damaged pretty heavily when the trap was set off. You can seal youselves in, it just take some work to get back out by lifting the hatch and all of its weight.
The Disable Device check was an attempt to fix the mechanism -- I don't even know if it's possible with that skill, but Anton would at least try.

Disable device unfortunately does not help you repair the mechanism.

Gelik gives you your dagger back. What next? Rest for the day or anything else?
The Castaways grab what equipment they can from the loot if no one claims anything.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Unless anyone has objections, I suggest that we spend the rest of this day recuperating our energies. The jungle isn't going anywhere, and rushing out at less than our best could prove costly...

Assuming no objections...
Nim removes Ort's gear, and sends him off into the jungle naked with a warning that the next time he sees anyone from this group, his life is immediately forfeit.

Adding the scimitar and potion to Nim's sheet as per the ooc discussion...

Nim takes up Klorak's scimitar and wipes his own blood from the blade. Admiring the fine balance and craftsmanship of the weapon he looks to the others and wordlessly lays claims to it as spoils of victory. He removes his old scimitar and adds it to the loot pile before sliding the newer weapon into the scabbard at his hip. He accepts the magical healing elixir with a word of thanks to the group.

Nim will spend the day in ensuring the camp defenses are in order, fulfilling any requests made of him by the others and sparring with Sasha. (day 7)

I will work on a new set of explorations routes for the following days treks...and post them later today.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
DM Stephen wrote:
Disable device unfortunately does not help you repair the mechanism.

Aww. What a waste of a nat 20! :( Well, since that failed, it means that the Craft (locks) attempt never happened, since there was no need for it with the mechanism still not working right. Retcon that Nim was replying to a described intention, I guess.

Anton is confident that he did his very best in applying his skill at sabotaging things to trying to fix the mechanism, but it was just too complex. There were very many ways to break something like that, and so it was impossible for him to work backward from how he'd disable it to what was wrong with it. The stealthy halfling decides to just find a good hiding place above-ground to sleep in, instead of trying to jury-rig something with no idea of what he was doing.

As they deal with the aftermath of the battle and prepare for the next day's journey, Anton approaches Nim. "Could you make me a few smaller javelins? They would've been handy when we were chasing down that one cannibal in leather, but those are all too big for me."


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai assists with any tasks that involve dumb labor and offers his services with a needle and thread to whoever may have need. Apart from that he keeps relatively quiet and to himself, though he does await a moment where Aerys is away from the others.

DM / Aerys:
Approaching the lass Mihai asks in a genuine tone "How are you Aerys?... especially after the death this morning brought. Would you care for a reading?" offering his wood boxed set of harrow cards.

Prior to approaching, Mihai has doctored the order of the cards to place a particular card on top.


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

Corbius seems disinterested in the treasure distribution other then helping to gather all of the gear together.

Corbius stands off to one side as Nim questions Ort. His eyes looking off into the distance as if trying to hear some distant sound that he just cannot quite make out.

I agree Nim we should be close to the camp today. I am troubled that the beast may return to exact it's toll for helping us today. If we are not here when it arrives I... Would hate to see anyone hurt because we were not here.

@DM Stephen:
You said in my dying state that I knew what the purpose of the scrolls were? But you never actually said what it was.

Did I miss something?


Mihai:

Aerys looks at you skeptically...your first thought is she will refuse, but then she looks over at Anton and then relents, [b]I know little about the Harrow Mihai. I am not sure I want to know my future.
Why is it you want to do a reading for me? I haven't seen you offer the same to the others? Maybe I do want to know what it holds for me.

Corbrius:

Welcome back! Just waiting for you to get back to be able to RP it.
Azlanti Luck:
This spell grants a small a measure of foreknowledge to all of those within 20' when cast. All allies within its
range gain a +1 luck bonus to attack rolls and reflex saving throws for up to 1 minute per caster level.
You think with some specific references on paragraphs Tragershen and Aedalis have been working on they should be able to finish translating the spell in less than a day.
*
Azlanti Glue:
A globe of sticky resin springs from your hand. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the globe to strike a
target. There are two basics uses for the spell:
You can target the creatures feet. The subject is immediately held in place, effectively stuck to the ground. A failed reflex save means the creature cannot move until the spell expires or they make a DC 20 strength or escape artist check. A successful check means the subject gains the entangled condition for 1 round but can still move.
You can target the creatures arm. The subjects arm is immediately stuck to its body. A failed reflex save means the creature cannot use the arm to attack or to defend itself until the spell expires or they make a DC 20 strength or escape artist check. A successful check means the subject gains the entangled condition for 1 round but can still move.
You think with some specific references on paragraphs Tragershen and Aedalis have been working on they should be able to finish translating the spell in less than a day.
Aedalis and Tragershen had figured out most of this, you just end up filling in some gaps.

Exploring more or going after the Cannibal camp the next day?


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Aerys:
Mihai smiles warmly "The Harrow does not tell one's future... at least not directly" beckoning her sit on a clear part of the grass near to the ruins. Bringing out the cards from the wooden box he continues "Their meaning is open to interpretation and twisting of intent... though if one is trained then one can make good use of the subtle signals."

Settling a friendly eye upon her "With your permission may I begin?" assuming he gets a nod, Mihai begins with a restricted lay of cards without having shuffled them.

As the cards are laid down, Mihai narrates their import:
"The Beating - to mean that one is under assault... both from without and within,
The Sickness - that one struggles with an illness... or perhaps an addiction."
looking up to see if there is any reaction from Aerys to the words Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
"The Marriage - to show that the strength in unity is greater than that alone;
The Keep - and in unity we gain strength... enough to o'erthrow that which afflicts us."

Remaining silent for a short time so that Aerys has a chance to broach anything that could be on her mind with Mihai.
If her addiction recovery is not volunteered, then Mihai will press directly for it.


Mihai:

Aerys blushes at your reading and then a little anger creeps into her voice, I knew I couldn't trust him, what did he tell you? You men are all the same, none of you can be trusted! Aerys begins to rise...her fists clenched...

Anyone else doing anything before I move things along to the next day? I am assuming that Corbrius will bring you up to speed that day on something, but other than that?


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Tragershen is not doing anything special. He feels he didn't make a very good showing in the battle, especially compared to Nim, so he is working hard at helping with the mundane tasks of cleaning up after the battle.

When he does see Anton working on that trap door, he let's him know I am still considering the problem, hoping to develop a solution to get it working. If I come up with anything, I'll be sure to let you know.

I believe when I put another rank in Knowledge Engineering I can try it again.


Correct, another rank would give you another opportunity.
You also have the Azlanti spells you haven't really spent much time on. You and Aedalis could work on those for a while today?


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Thats what i've been assuming Aedalis will do yup.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
DM Stephen wrote:
Exploring more or going after the Cannibal camp the next day?

I think we're just exploring more?

Tragershen wrote:
When he does see Anton working on that trap door, he let's him know I am still considering the problem, hoping to develop a solution to get it working. If I come up with anything, I'll be sure to let you know.

"Maybe we could talk sometime about what you know of engineering. I find that sometimes, just trying to explain something can bring a revelation, when understanding is put into words. And then, once I know enough, I could maybe even help with good questions -- if nothing else."

Later, Anton sneaks off into the jungle. I think that it would be DC 19 Perception to follow without tracking, and DC 21 Stealth to not be noticed, but go ahead and read as ooc knowledge if you wish.

In the Jungle:
A short ways from camp, Anton has found a private place to spar with a tree, using his trident and dagger together. It's just an ordinary tree -- which is good, because he's going very slowly, often stopping to re-do a move with a major modification. Even a slightly animate tree could have defeated his awkward attempts; he's clearly not even close to ready to fight an actual battle that way.

But he knows that it's possible. He's seen Sasha in action before, with the rapier and handaxe that they got from the Tattooed Lady; and he's heard the stories several times now, about how she killed both of the cannibals threatening him with one blow each, after he was brought to the brink of death by a savage charge. So, he persists.

At first star's light, Anton hammers Nora's other starknife into the ground by a quiet pool in the camp (D9). He sits facing north and meditates in front of it for awhile, reflecting on their brief time together and her determined cheerfulness. He was angry that she was gone, but... would she want him to be?

Confounded by his own thoughts, Anton sighs and gets up, then looks for a well-hidden place to sleep.


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

@Aedalis and Tragershen:
At some point during the afternoon Corbius approaches the two of you.
Aedalis do you mind translating those two scrolls that we found to me again?

Assuming Aedalis complies

Corbius listens patiently to the translations. I know I was not involved in your original discussion but could not help but over hear bits and pieces and have been thinking on them ever since. For whatever reason when I was near death I seemed to realize what the ultimate outcome of the scrolls were.

Pointing at specific paragraphs in the writings..See here and here, clearly this is some kind of spell to improve the luck of a group when attacking or being attacked. This other one here is some unusual spell that casts globs of glue at your opponent.
I think if you focus on these last parts here and here the two of you should be able to figure them out in a day or two.

Corbius looks at each of them smiling slightly. What do you think?

See Corbius spoiler above.

@DM Stephen:
Would either of these spells be on the magus spell list perchance?


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Aerys:
Seeing her anger Mihai puts up his hands "Please Aerys, no-one has broken your confidence... and I do not sit in judgement. I am a healer and kenned the trouble on my own. The Volun berries should help... though I believe I could make them more effective... if you permit my help?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Happy to move on to tomorrow.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

When Corbius pulls them aside to talk about the scrolls, Tragershen's focus switches completely to the arcane topic. Intrigued by the observations of the magus, Tragershen works to help finish deciphering them into a usable format.


Corbrius:

If you are involved with their discovery, you can have either or both on your spell list if you wish. I will assume both.

The day passes with everyone staying busy helping move bodies, sparring, in discussion, or reviewing the ancient Azlanti magic. The day is quiet and the night returns to it volume of noise that quickly consumes each of you into sleep.

Corbrius:

You assume your watch nervous of what might come. Predictably, the beast shows itself again.
A head drops from above and lands next to you. You think it might be the Cannibal's head that escaped.
I have held up my part of the bargain. it says in a gutteral voice.
Had the Cannibals ambushed your group, some of you would be dead now, more probably captured and in their camp. Instead they are defeated and weak. Now it is time to hold up your end.
There is a creature on the island I wish you to kill. The foul creature is my one true adversary on the island. The Cannibals call her the wood witch. She must die. You will find a way to kill her. She will probably contact you soon enough if you don't seek her out.
[b]You will do this yes?
a threat is implied in its voice...


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Corbrius and Tragershen:

Aedalis is happy enough to use his expert knowledge of Azlant to share the findings thus far with Corbrius and accepts the offered assistance.


Mihai:

She sits back down looking ashamed, The berries are helping. Anton was kind and brought them to me. Nora had also known of my condition and kept it in confidence. Thank you for offering and keeping my confidence as well. Maybe I was wrong, at least about the few of you...I would welcome the help.
Sorry, Anton has been working this bit of RP for sometime as well, there is an RP reward for helping each of the castways which I have changed up we will figure something out around it possibly.


The three of you work all day on a coordinated effort to decipher the magical puzzle of the spells. The breakthrough is complete and the magical components of the spells are revealed to you:

Azlanti Luck:

Azlanti Luck
-
School enchantment (compulsion) [mind-affecting]; Level magus/sorcerer/witch/wizard 1
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S
Range 20 ft.
Area The caster and all allies within a 20-ft. burst, centered on the caster
Duration 1 min./level
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance yes (harmless)
-
This spell grants a small a measure of foreknowledge to all of those within 20' when cast. All allies within its
range gain a +1 luck bonus to attack rolls and reflex saving throws for up to 1 minute per caster level.

Azlanti Glue:

Azlanti Glue
School conjuration (creation); Level magus/sorcerer/witch/wizard 2
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M (pinch of tree sap)
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect Ray
Duration 1 round/level
Saving Throw Reflex (partial); Spell Resistance no
-
A globe of sticky resin springs from your hand. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the globe to strike a
target. There are two basics uses for the spell:
You can target the creatures feet. The subject is immediately held in place, effectively stuck to the ground. A failed reflex save means the creature cannot move until the spell expires or they make a DC 20 strength or escape artist check. A successful check means the subject gains the entangled condition for 1 round but can still move.
You can target the creatures arm. The subjects arm is immediately stuck to its body. A failed reflex save means the creature cannot use the arm to attack or to defend itself until the spell expires or they make a DC 20 strength or escape artist check. A successful check means the subject gains the entangled condition for 1 round but can still move.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Aerys:
Kind eyes showing that he is sincere "I think there is a way that we can use the plants here to improve them.. but first I would give you a true Harrow reading" going on to shuffle and give a proper lay of the cards - talking of how plants of the isle could be used to turn the berries into a liquor.

No problem DM :)


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

I believe these are the routes I had proposed previously, prior to the cannibal attack. This would seem to be the plan unless someone really wants to go after the cannibal camp immediately...

ROUTES

Flextime...

Nim agrees to Anton's request and sets about converting a few of the javelins to fit Anton's smaller stature rather than starting from scratch. He selects a few suitable candidates and pulls out his crafting tools before getting to work.
Craft (weapons) w/tools: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23 vs DC 12 success
23x12=276sp/7days=39.43sp meaning Nim could have made 3 and just about a 4th javelin from scratch today if he had the materials on hand... I will allow DM Stephen to determine the final result to convert the readily available javelins. (ie I did not pay the 1/3 crafting cost)

After successfully completing a few javelins for Anton, Nim seeks out Sasha for another sparring session. They train vigorously for quite a while before retiring to get cleaned up and then spending some quiet time together. That makes 7 complete sessions.

As night begins to fall... Nim repeats his desire to have two people on watch at any given time...

1,151 to 1,200 of 3,325 << first < prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign PBP Chapter 1: Smugglers Shiv All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.