Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign - Chp1:The Smugglers Shiv (Inactive)

Game Master terok

With the defeat of the dark Dryad and surviving many of the islands others challenges, the party is well on their way to becoming the Shiv's masters...only Ieana stands in their way...


951 to 1,000 of 3,325 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>

Aedalis:

You know they have fly by attack and are physically powerful. They have one special ability, they can do something called a "Chupar". If they can grab a foe and pin it, they can drain your blood. This invigorates the creature making it very fast.
If it is a big as they say it could possibly do what it says, try to grab and carry you off one at a time and finish you. As far as you know they have no magical powers other than this blood drain.
You almost want to meet the creature, as you have not heard one this large or one that will interact with a group before attacking...they are usually not very bright.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Just a flash up that I'm waiting on any further party feedback on the let's send them out instead of us to provoke the attack idea...


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7
Mihai Soarta wrote:
As to the tactics "There is another way that we may safeguard those less able and meet the incoming party on our terms. Rather than setting off ourselves... we could send them in our stead. They need not travel far - just far enough to be safe and then we can await the coming of the others here... on ground that is known and defensible?"

Tragershen will make sure that all of their group is in the discussion if they aren't already, PCs and NPCs alike.

In response to Mihai's suggestion I'm not sure that any split of our forces is a good idea at this point. The creature gave us practically no details of the potential enemy force beyond that they are coming for us.

I'm not even convinced that this creature was being truthful with us. Perhaps it is allied with these enemies. Perhaps it is their leader, or a creature conjured by them, or even an illusion. If these foes are natives, they may already be spying on us without our being aware.

Clearly Tragershen, whose life has revolved around gathering and using information, is frustrated about their not knowing much of anything about the situation.


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

Listening to the groups discussion Corbius ponders for a moment..

I do not think we should sent the others out. If by chance their plan is to attack us when we are sperated they could very well attack them. I would think that we keep the others here and hidden below while the rest of us stay above. It is unlikely they know of the hidden hatch and when they attack the others can come out to aid us.

Tragershen wrote:
I'm not even convinced that this creature was being truthful with us. Perhaps it is allied with these enemies. Perhaps it is their leader, or a creature conjured by them, or even an illusion. If these foes are natives, they may already be spying on us without our being aware.

I am unsure why the creature would warn us. But I also see no reason to doubt it's warning. If it was working with these others what would be it's benefit by warning us?

I believe that it may have told these others about us though from what it said. I think it may have even sent them here as some kind of test. But if it had wanted to harm us it likely could have at anytime seeing as it got into our camp completely unnoticed.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

"The suggestion to split was based on the creature's words that the attack was due after we would have left come the morning... we do not know if not seeing a group depart would be reason for pause or emboldening."


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

Corbius turns to look at at Aedalis and his ever present familiar.

Aedalis? Is it possible for your little flying friend to look to see where these others are or to be able to give us some warning if they are approaching?

I only ask because I have read that some wizards can communicate or see out of their familiar's eyes. Forgive me if I presume to much I myself have never considered the bonding so I am not aware of what it's limitations are.

However, if possible your little scaly friend might give us an excellent tactical advantage.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Unless I'm mistaken - Aedalis' familiar is a compsognathus, a small bipedal dinosaur... so no flying recon ;)


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

I agree with Mihai. It is dangerous to act on such limited information; we should bide our time and prepare for an attack- our new campsite needs to be made more defensible at any rate...

The older mans twinkle with amusement at Corbius' jest.

Tilsini? I'm afraid his wings are clipped for now. But on a serious note... I have not studied long enough to see through his eyes. The path to arcane power is much like the path to becoming an academic; and only a little less tedious.


Assumes that you do not split...preparing your ruin for defense would make leaving it to gather wood and such materials necessary.
Dawn is breaking so you move the others to the ruin's underchamber. You see little except for the wildlife normally associated with the area. Luckily the ruin is situated in a good defensible position on the hill and there is about 20-30 feet of just low lying brush around you so it will be very hard to sneak right up to the ruin without being spotted.

A few hours pass and nothing seems to occur, was the creatures warning a ruse?

DC 25 Perception check, you can take a 10 if you wish:

About 2 hours after dawn you just happen to notice a small bit of movement...it is directly above you. You get into a position where you can see through a small hole on the roof and there it is, a human head pearing over a cliff looking down on you...sly. The head watches you for a moment before disappearing back into the cliff. You wait for a few minutes and maybe 5-10 minutes later it appears again and looks again over the cliff, watching you for about a minute before disappearing again...


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

The wait does not sit well with Mihai, turning his hands to idle fidget and his mind to wandering. To calm himself and his churning stomach, he mentally focuses upon that which surrounds them. The dense humidity, the occasional breeze and the breath and noise of his companions. Watching, and waiting...


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Much like Mihai, Nim seems uncomfortable just sitting idly by waiting for an attack that might not be coming...

If they are out there, we need to confront them now! They are likely waiting for some of us to leave the camp... they might not spring their attack unless at least some of us do... if we don't engage them today we will not know when they will return and endanger those left in camp...


Just to move things along, I just checked Anton's character and even with the high DC, Anton can take the 10 to beat it.
Go ahead and read the spoiler as I am sure he would share the information with you. Should have just given you the information to begin with.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

It is as I feared... they are watching us... waiting for us to leave. At least a few of us should leave to spring the "trap"...


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Such an action is folly until we know the full disposition of their forces. Marching out blindly is no solution at all. I posit that Anton should scout out their forces, alone; if you are willing... Aedalis proposes, looking to Anton for a response.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

I do not fear an ambush when it is no longer one... they are expecting us to leave... what they aren't expecting is for us to return immediately... if the information from the night visitor is to be believed.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

And what indication do you have that it is to be trusted? The information is scarce, the source likely untrustworthy... Its a foolhardy course of action to put so much faith in a creature like a chupucabra. I strongly advise acquiring our own scouting information before choosing a course of action that weakens the whole community.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

I agree, we need to find out more about them. Alas, I don't have any arcane ability at the moment that would help. Perhaps Anton could sneak out?

The human face Anton described... Did it look like a native to this region, or someone else shipwrecked?


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Perhaps you misunderstood my tone... I believe I did say "if" the information could be trusted. Nim waves his hand. And what makes you think that Anton sneaking about alone and vulnerable will not result in his death? Thereby "weakening the whole community"? Snares and traps do not care how stealthy you are. Or these others may posses the ability to detect him that his skills cannot overcome. Who is to say what awaits him or us out there indeed.

Nim unconsciously flexes his considerable muscles as he hefts his spear and adds, I say we are stronger as a group... We can track them if they flee and bring the fight to them on our terms if need be. But it is Anton's call, as it is his neck being risked. Nim turns and looks to Anton for his decision.


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai mulls the words spoken We need to know more of them... but the risk is great as he looks to Anton for his thoughts.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Aedalis, no trace of irritation in his voice, speaks quietly in response to Nim. There is no hostility in his voice, but perhaps there is a little paternalistic tone, as he patiently explains as though explaining the meaning of a parable.

Playing devil's advocate while simultaneously doubting Anton's prowess does not make your own argument any more valid; we trust Anton to take the lead in our explorations and you do not raise an objection in that instance, despite similar possibilities of "abilities to detect him that his skills cannot overcome", as you put it.

Aedalis strokes his stubble softly as he softly gestures with an arm sweeping from his waist towards Nim.

So your plan is to bring the fight to them? To do so, we must know where they are situated; in which direction and how they have disposed their forces. If we leave Ishorou and Gelik here to fight a group of these natives to the north, how will we be sure a second force does not flank us from the south; or worse, kill those we leave behind. I understand your impatience; you are clearly a mighty warrior and this waiting frustrates you. Nevertheless, this discussion is moot, pending Anton's response to my proposed plan.

All eyes fall upon the small ranger as Aedalis awaits his input with the others.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

DM Stephen:
Did that use my Extraordinary Perception for the day? It's fine if so; I would've used it for that, if necessary.

Anton remains silent as the others debate. They all make such good points... Finally, there is nothing left but to make an answer. "To plan for something, we need to know what it is. I will leave my breastplate and backpack behind, so that I will be as stealthy as anything in this jungle; and with these boots, I will be faster too." 30' speed for five hours, constantly undeterred by difficult terrain -- so twice as fast as most unencumbered men in the jungle -- and up to 25' speed at +12 Stealth.

Anton begins taking off his armor and rearranging things: pulling a set of small tools out of his backpack, putting them in his belt pouch, and setting his lucerne hammer down by his other gear. "I'm better with traps than any of you know; it's one of the things that I was hired for. So is scouting, and I've only gotten better since coming here. This is *my* strength; let me use it to help us, as you use yours." Here Anton is looking at Nim, smiling gently.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Aedalis smiles at Anton's courage.

Though you have forfeited your steel, you shall not go forth unarmoured he intones in the manner of a ritual, placing a hand upon Anton's head and summoning a Ward around him, before casting a familiar looking spell, to no visible effect.

Anton:

Mage Armour + Ward. +4 armour bonus to AC for 2 hours, +2 bonus to AC and Saves until your hit or fail a saving throw.

Spellcraft DC16:

The spell cast on Anton was Mage Armour.


Anton:

Yes, you needed to use it to tap the 25...so I assumed you did since it was a critical point. Assumes you take a 10 on stealth for a 22.

DM Only:

Klorak 50' perception 1d20 + 7 - 5 ⇒ (6) + 7 - 5 = 8

Anton watches for the head again to appear then go back beyond the cliff face. He then sneaks off into the woods thinking of the most likely place they might be.....you wait, rather impatiently for his return...

Not going to spoiler this to keep things moving and no one spotted Anton as far as he can tell so he can get there and back without any problems and back to the group.

There are two main directions around this hill, East and West. The south would not make sense as the terrain up the hill would be very difficult to traverse to get to you.
1d100 ⇒ 31 under 1-50 east/51-100 west.
You go east, skirting the hill. It doesn't take you long the spot the group. They are located within the jungle about 200 yards east around the hill. There are 11 savage looking individuals looking up towards the top of the hill.
They are garbed simply, in ripped pieces of clothing. They appear armed with scimitars, wooden shields, and Javelins...they have no armor. They are heavily tanned, heavily scarred, and some of them look a little malformed, in all a pretty scary sight.
One sticks out, he is larger than the rest with wild red hair and studded leather armor. He seems to say things to the others and hit them frequently. You watch them for a couple of minutes and the red headed one sees something, you spot the one above the cliff most likely and you hear the leader say,
They have still not left. We keep wait for a little while longer. If not go then we leave and come back in a day or two. Good eating here...you will see.
The others seem very restless, like he is barely holding them back. You are not sure you like the implication of what he just said but you decide it is enough and head back.
You easily make it back to the camp and tell the others what you have seen.

BTW I have decided to just waive these kinds of actions for the most part and not get into a tangent of spoilers to keep the story moving, if I waited for Anton to respond and then go about this business it could have taken 3 days of posting vs. a post to keep things moving.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Flextime: Before Anton departs...

Nim stares at Aedalis as he speaks. Nim smiles (or as Anton previously determined he could just be baring his teeth) as Aedalis continues. After he finishes, Nim continues to maintain direct eye contact. Copying the older man's tone Nim responds, Do not twist my words witch. I am not doubting Anton's abilities to be sneaky, but rather showing concern for his safety should something go wrong. Folly is believing that one is infallible. One can always fail, even at the things they are best at. When Anton is scouting, he is but mere moments away from the rest of us. If these others are that distance and we cannot see them, then all is lost already. We are asking him to do more than just scout a few score yards ahead... We are strongest as a group! That was my point!

Nim turns to address the entire camp before continuing, And as for these others? The fact that they are lying in wait, watching us, tells me that they aren't confident in their ability to deal with our group as a whole. If they held an overwhelming advantage over us they would be pressing the attack. If we don't engage today, then we will be forced to guess when they may return. And they are very likely to return with greater numbers at that point, if they have them. We need to defeat them today, leaving no survivor to return whence they came. We need to lay the trap... and if that is not possible then we need to send them a message that we are not to be taken lightly. Kill as many of them as we can and they may think again about returning.

With his piece said he turns to Anton to await his response...

Upon hearing Anton's decision...

Nim moves to Anton and helps him in preparing his gear to go out. Nim kneels, bringing him down eye to eye with the ranger, and grasps his shoulder before speaking directly to him in a hushed tone. Move well and don't take any unnecessary risks. I know you can do this, but if you do get into trouble, give shout and I shall come as quickly as I can! And the others as well! With that Nim gives Anton's shoulder a squeeze and stands, giving him a final nod.

Upon Anton's return...

Nim growls and bares his teeth again while stealing a glance at Aedalis. As I predicted... we risk losing our advantage with all this delaying! We need to draw them in and finish them before they decide to leave!


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Flextime-

Aedalis' eyes flare dangerously as Nim uses the word 'Witch' but he doesn't deign to even answer Nim; he actually stops listening to his tirade about half-way through after Nim brands him as a witch, absent mindedly making plans in his mind for how to best use his magic against the cannibals.

This uneducated oaf is making me miss the company of even the Pathfinders.

Now-
Losing our advantage? Oh do pipe down you insufferable windbag, they have not yet left, we have lost nothing. Now we know where they are and how many they number. Excellent work Anton.


Jask appears as the words seem to escalate a little in the group.
I have been listening to you two argue about method when we all share the same purpose. We are wasting time.
Stay focused on the real enemy! What Anton has brought us is an advantage.
If we can help we will....let us know how?


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim turns to face Aedalis, rising to his full height, this time consciously flexing his muscles while gripping his spear in both hands. The grin returns. Well, if that isn't the kettle... he adds in a growl before turning his back to the man.

He glances about at the others before remarking, It seems the chupacabra's information is accurate so far. It would also appear the other side is also quite informed as to our habit's as well. I believe the creature is playing both sides... likely to weaken both our groups.

At Jask's comments, Nim turns back to Aedalis inquiring, Yes. What is your plan now old man? I am interested to hear how you plan to proceed from here, that doesn't involve some of us pretending to leave camp to draw them in as was the plan earlier before we risked Anton...

Edited due to DM ninja of my post. :)


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Aedalis thinks for a moment and then lays out his thoughts.

We have several courses of action available to us. As we have now confirmed the chupucabra's information was accurate, we can indeed draw them to us and ambush them; only now we know which direction they will come from, we can take up better positions.

What would be even better is making use of an illusion spell to simply make it appear that many of us have left and therefore not divide our strength- but I do not include such a spell among those I have mastered. Gnomes are often skillful illusionists; Master Gelik, are you capable in this field?

He waits a moment for an answer before continuing.

A frontal assault is ill-advised, as they are likely to simply retreat if our numbers appear overwhelming. However, there is ample cover available for us to simply let Anton lead us to them and launch a surprise attack upon them.

Aedalis replies to Nim's smug insinuation last.

Had we not at least checked rather than taking the word of a treacherous magical beast like a chupucabra on its word, we would have risked far more than just Anton's life. Such recklessness is reserved for the young such as yourself; but an army does not commit itself without first using scouts. Even the natives here on this island seem to know this...

Hoping Gelik has the use of Silent Image, theres far less to go wrong than the risk of being spotted doubling back to ambush them.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim sneers, And many scouts never return as you well know... what if the chupacabra had been nearby waiting for just such a thing as Anton's scouting? This was the risk I was concerned with.

You seem to have a different assessment of scale of the coming battle than I do. We are not some large unwieldy army out in formation and attempting maneuvers. We are two groups of a dozen or so about to get intimate and bloody in a skirmish to the death...

His tone softens and his posture relaxes somewhat before he continues, aware the bickering is not productive. But no matter, we take different
approaches this much is obvious. Truce?

Assuming Aedalis agrees...

I have been advocating ambushing the ambushers since the chupacabra visited... and I still think it best that we draw them in by pretending to leave camp. If we had no option to move on them as a group before, what is different now? If Master Gelik cannot provide the illusion, then some of us will have to leave camp, if even for a brief time. We shall not go far, just far enough to draw them in.

As to the possibility that they might flee, I have communed with nature and prepared enough energy to use my entangling magic twice this day. They shall find flight difficult in any event...


Gelik comes out of the trap door to respond to you,
I am sorry Master Aedalis, here are the magics that are available to me from my Gnomish background...dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation, speak, with animals.
I also know the following magics—comprehend languages, cure light wounds, identify, detect magic, know direction, light, mage hand,
prestidigitation. I know no illusion magic...

He looks disappointed that he couldn't help you more.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

Aedalis realises that the brute simply wants the last word and once again ignores his antagonistic words.

Truce. Now, who shall go?


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Nim stands silently... staring flatly at Aedalis.

;)


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai looks into the distance pensively as the words are exchanged. Rough seas and unsteady soil merely make the walk more worthy. Trusting to the hope that differences would soothe naturally rather than require intervention, Mihai is satisfied when that occurs. To the question of staying or going "I must stay. I have little skill in negotiating the wilds or remaining hidden... and the grace of the Walker will likely be tested when they come upon us."


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

Perhaps we can go and attack them. All of us. It doesn't seem like they are that far away... He cranes his neck as though he might be able to see them through the foliage. But perhaps if we do have a group go off to draw them in, I should remain here. I have a couple of spells that may be able to affect several of them.


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

I believe we are now commited to drawing them here, Tragershen. So you and Mihai shall stay here. I volunteer myself to be part of the group "leaving".


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3
Niɱ wrote:

Upon hearing Anton's decision...

Nim moves to Anton and helps him in preparing his gear to go out. Nim kneels, bringing him down eye to eye with the ranger, and grasps his shoulder before speaking directly to him in a hushed tone. Move well and don't take any unnecessary risks. I know you can do this, but if you do get into trouble, give shout and I shall come as quickly as I can! And the others as well! With that Nim gives Anton's shoulder a squeeze and stands, giving him a final nod.

"Thank you, and you can be sure that I will do better than a shout if it comes to it." Anton pulls a signal whistle from one of his pockets. "I survived scouting for the Molthuni army by being practical, not noble, and so I only have one signal: 'I'm running in what might be your direction, and something's behind me!'" With a wink, the lightly-equipped halfling strides confidently into the jungle, speaking the command word for his Azlanti boots; as soon as the first tree or bush comes between you and the small ranger, he effectively disappears (DC 22 Perception to spot after that).

About five minutes later: Anton suddenly appears out of the jungle, brow furrowed in concern. A few minutes after that: "...and so unless he was talking about stealing our food stores (which doesn't seem terribly likely), it appears that the rumors of cannibalism are true." His report made, Anton sits down and observes the reaction to his news, contemplating the various arguments.

Now: "I will go, of course. I think that at least four of us should; the only scout I saw before they came here was the chupacabra, so I agree with Nim that it's likely playing both sides, and this pack of hyenas could be very well-informed indeed."

"No matter how we do it, I say that because we love our lives, we should put them down as we would any other animals that develop a taste for human flesh. Except I disagree with Nim on one thing: I think that we should leave the weakest and most panicky one alive, to run home to mommy."

"Because if he has a mommy -- and most animals do -- then we need to know where he came from; and the other hyenas there probably already know where we are, from being told by these before they came here. So, let's take advantage of our tracking abilities, and trick one into revealing the rest."


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7
Aedalis Omathi wrote:
I believe we are now commited to drawing them here, Tragershen. So you and Mihai shall stay here. I volunteer myself to be part of the group "leaving".

Understood. But depending on how far the "leaving" group has to go in order to draw them in, there could be an engagement for some time, perhaps a half minute or more, that the remaining group would have to manage.


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton blinks. "Ah. I was picturing it differently. They looked very impatient; I'm pretty sure that they will start on their way here as soon as their lookout pokes his head out to see us gone. We could be hiding just inside the jungle, or maybe even find a path with enough cover to circle around and set an ambush on that side of the camp."


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton's eyes nearly cross as he looks off into the distance. "Wait. I just had the strangest idea, from listening to myself. If I discount sensational rumors and the claims of a monster that I don't trust, then maybe we should all leave together. What if they don't care about us?" The inspired halfling unconsciously taps out a complex beat on a knee with one hand.

"What if the chupacabra told them that we have lots of food to get them to raid us, and then told us they were coming to attack so that... well, I don't know its purpose. But I already knew that." While the one hand continues to tap out a beat without his attention, Anton holds his chin with his other hand, eyes narrowed with concentration; then he straightens and stills.

"The safest fight is the one you don't have. We could give them the chance to prove that they're just scavengers, by all of us going on a day trip together and leaving what food we've gathered undefended. If what they really want is to attack us, then they'll come back in a day or two -- which is what their leader said to do if we *didn't* go -- and we'll have the same fight, but with more time to prepare. Either way, we're better off."


Male Human (Varisian) Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim archetype) 5

Mihai shakes his head "Ishirou is not well enough to travel today... and we cannot leave him alone."


Male Halfling (Molthuni) Barbarian 1 Ranger (Trapper) 3

Anton's hand resumes tapping his knee. "And anyway, it would only delay the inevitable. We still wouldn't want them raiding us; it would only really make a difference to me in whether or not to pity them as I defended our camp from them. Bah!" Frustrated, he slaps his knee and looks away.


So I am straight...you plan to have 4 of you leave (Mihai and Trag. stay behind) and circle back around watching the ruin from a distance until you see the others ready to engage the people in the ruin. As the others move up to attack you move in from behind or from the other side to support the people in the ruin?
This is only a East-West possible battle due to the terrain on the hill, they will be coming from the East according to Anton.


Male Human Magus 4(Bladebound)
Attacks:
Asilande +9(1d6+4/18-20x2), Dagger +6 (1d4+2/19-20x2), Longbw +7 (1d6/20x3)
Spellcasting:
CL 4 +6 melee, +6 ranged, Conc +9
Stats:
Init+3, Perc+2,AC19/14/15 HP 37,Frt+5,Will+4,Ref+4,Spd 30',CMB+5,CMD 19,Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10

Corbius watches the exchange between Nim and Aedalis with a mixture of humor and frustration.

Let's get going then before they leave or see us bickering like a bunch of old hens.


Elven Wizard 5 HPs 27/27 AC 18 FF 14 T 14 CMD 16 Fort +3 Ref +5 Will +4 Init +4 Per +7

How difficult is it to get up from the wizard's room below the ruin? A move actions? A full round? If Tragershen waited down there, could he stop on the stairs up and get partial cover while casting?


HP 39/30, AC- 11 (15 MA) T- 11 FF- 10 (14MA), CMD- 12, F +6, R +4, W +7, P +7, In +5

DM, thats the plan I believe yes.


This was the key part that didn't get answered..."As the others move up to attack you move in from behind or from the other side to support the people in the ruin?"


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Perhaps posting the map again would help? (Complete with compass rose. ;)


Are you talking about the ruin map? Basically hey will be coming from the right side of the ruin as far as you can tell. You can try to come up behind them and trap them between the two groups or come up from the west to support the defense of the ruin.
Here is an older image, will update a better one tomorrow with more time. Ruined Building Old Map
North is the brown hillside area.


Male Human 5th level Druid
Stats:
Init +1 Perception +11 AC 20 Tch 13 FF 19 HP 50 Fort+6(+7 vs disease) Ref+2 Will+7 Spd 20' CMB +8 CMD 21 Acro-2*Climb+6*Esc Art-2*Spellcraft+5 Stealth-2*Swim +6 ACP -2 (shield)

Yes thank you. Nim would vote for hiding to the west (left) as his stealth ability is dismal.

951 to 1,000 of 3,325 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Stephens Serpents Skull Campaign PBP Chapter 1: Smugglers Shiv All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.