Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Sinvel's Tales of the Night Watchmen

Game Master Sinvel Menter

Follows the journey of four new members of the Night Watchmen in the Great City of Azir.


251 to 300 of 474 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Apologies. I read the part about the rubble being just outside the dancing lights and as they were behind us, thought the rubble was too. Still, Malchius was concussed and cranky, so I'll leave the comment to stand.


No worries, of course; Nathaniel (and I) figured as much!


[ooc]Everyone ready to press on? The rubble will need to be passed one at a time as each of you climb up and slip through the 2' high by 4' wide opening on top. Let me know who goes first.{/ooc]


"Xarina. Why don't you climb up first and have a look see? You'll be able to tell if there's anything there waiting for us to crawl through."


"Alright. Let's see what is up there." with that, Xarina climbs the rubble and makes her way through the opening.

Once she is through and standing she will look around and take stock of the passage.

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13


Xarina climbs up the pile of rocks and debris. It is fairly unstable, the rocks give way under her a few times which cause her to fall fall on top of the rocks. Eventually, she makes it to the opening. She doesn't see anything of note so she slips all the way through and climbs down.

Looking around, it appears to be an empty featureless tunnel much like the other side of the pile.


Once we get the all clear, Malchius heads up and over as well.


"All clear! Come on up."


Nathaniel waits for one of Garrett's lights to go through the opening to the other side and then clambers through.


As Nathaniel climbs over to join Xarina, a distant howl can be heard from all four Watchmen.

At this point Xarina and Nathaniel are on the deeper side of the rubble and Garret and Malchius are on the other side. A Survival DC 15 check can be made to approximate how far the howl originated.

Survival DC 15:
You guess that the howl came from around 80'-100' in front of you.


"Go on through, Mal, I'll guard the back." Garret tells his companion as he rearranges the lights to go up the hill of rubble in a line.


Survival 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

"It sounds like it came from about 90' down the passage."

When Malchius gets partway through the hole Xarina will grab him and pull him up.

"There you go!"


As soon as he hears the howl, Nathaniel scans Xarina quickly. Seeing no visible ranged weapon, he shouts back to Garrett, "Can you get over here and send the light 20' down the hallway away from us, toward the howl? I want to level the playing field (by denying it the benefit of darkvision 20' out from us, keeping it in full light, and giving us partial concealment in the shadowy edge of full light)!"


Malchius lets out a yelp as he's hauled through the gap. Dusting himself off, he loads his crossbow and takes aim down the corridor.


As the lights begin moving down the tunnel the sound of heavy breathing and a animals running grow louder and louder until the light shows two large dogs sprinting toward Malchius, Nathaniel, and Xarina.

Malchius is free to fire his crossbow at one of the dogs.

One charges Xarina and the other jumps on Malchius with fangs bared, snapping at the throat of each of the Watchmen and willing to rip apart anything their teeth come across.

Dog 1 (Xarina):1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14, damage:1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Dog 2 (Malchius):1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5, damage:1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Since you heard them coming neither of you are flat-footed.

Initiatives
Malchius:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Xarina:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Nathaniel:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Garret:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Dogs:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

Garret, it will take a Climb DC 15 to climb up the rocks and through the hole to get to the ground on the other side, which will be a full round action.

As the two dogs attack the Watchmen think they hear another dog approaching in the darkness.


Round 1
The dogs continue snapping at Xarina and Malchius.
Dog 1 (Xarina):1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3, damage:1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Dog 2 (Malchius):1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14, damage:1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

The other dog coming from the darkness runs through the light and jumps on Nathaniel.
Dog 3 (Nathaniel):1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14, damage:1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Initiative order:
Dogs
Malchius
Nathaniel
Garret
Xarina

If you are just hitting one of the dogs you don't need to wait for the person in front of you to act before posting your action.


Malchius' readied shot against the dog coming straight at him.
Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8

In round one, Malchius reaches out to the dog attacking Nathaniel (or the one attacking him if that shot didn't kill it) with dazing touch.
Touch attack: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (10) - 2 = 8


Nathaniel swings at the dog attacking him.

Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

P.S. Do the dogs have nightvision? If not, do we get partial concealment (20% miss chance) for being in the shadowy portion of the dancing lights (or do I misunderstand the tactical setup)?


Malchius: you kill Dog 2 before he reaches you, so you take no damage from him. Also, I screwed up the scene. The tunnel is only 10' wide, so Nathaniel and Xarina are in the front line against the dogs. You are behind Malchius, so on you action in the first round you cast then move in between the two to touch Dog 3 and miss.

Nathaniel: Because Garret is climbing and hasn't had time to distance the lights yet everyone is well lit this round.


(On her turn) Xarina swings at the nearest dog.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Damage: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


In that case, rather than dazing touch, Malchius would have attempted an acid splash. It would have hit touch AC 7, so no change in effect.


In anticipation of my next turn, I throw away the d20 random dice generator I've been using and pick a new out of the community dice bag.


Nathaniel Briton wrote:
In anticipation of my next turn, I throw away the d20 random dice generator I've been using and pick a new out of the community dice bag.

I know the feeling!

I'll Wait a bit longer for Garret's action.


Apologies for the delay.

Hearing the sounds of a dog attack, Garret finishes the climb up quickly and hurries down the other side.

Would it be a single Move Action to get over the rubble? I've only got 20ft of movement.


Garret, as above, you need a successful climb check and then it'd be a full round action. To speed it up I'll roll for you, hope you don't mind. Climb:1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13

A recap of round 1: As the dogs rush the group, Malchius fires his crossbow and falls one of the leading canines. The other leading dog comes up and snaps at Xarina, but she is too quick and is able to move out of the way unharmed. The last dog to enter rushes up to Nathaniel and bites him (for 3 hps). Garret attempts to climb up the rubble to get to the opening but a few of the rocks give out underneath him and he goes tumbling down to the ground again. He is back where he started, will have to try with another climb check this round.

Round 2
Dog 1 (Xarina):1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12, damage:1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Dog 3 (Nathaniel):1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21, damage:1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

The dogs continue to bite the two Watchmen. Once again, Xarina dodges the incoming bite but Nathaniel it bitten squarely on his leg (5 more points of damage for 7/15 hp).

Initiative order:
Dogs
Malchius <---
Nathaniel
Garret
Xarina

Malchius, the dog's have a touch AC of 12.


Malchius lets fly with another blob of acid at the dog attacking Nathaniel.

Touch attack: 1d20 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (14) + 1 - 4 = 11

Sigh.

"Dammit Nathaniel! Hold still!" he curses as his aim goes slightly off as the other man foolishly attempts to avoid being eaten.


Nathaniel swings his great axe squarely at the dog's head:

Battle axe 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Damage1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Correction: I'm at 2 hp; I took 5 from the cave in.

"I'm working here Malchius!"

P.S. I like my new dice generator better than my old one!


I know I don't have it in my skills, but that's because I don't have any ranks in it. The Sure-Footed racial features gives me a +2 to Climb checks, making the total 15.

Are the dogs within 15ft of the rubble? Is there one withing 5ft of me?


Garret Nihks wrote:

I know I don't have it in my skills, but that's because I don't have any ranks in it. The Sure-Footed racial features gives me a +2 to Climb checks, making the total 15.

Are the dogs within 15ft of the rubble? Is there one withing 5ft of me?

You're at the edge of the rubble. Malchius is 5' ahead of you and Xarina an Nathaniel are 5' ahead of him. There isn't room in the tunnel to get around them. Getting on this side of the rubble takes your entire action this round.


Nathaniel, in an act of desperation, swings his ax at the dog snapping at him and makes solid contact. The ax hits the dog square and the canine falls to the ground.

We'll see if Xarina can make contact with her dog before starting the next round (if needed).


Xarina swings at the nearest dog.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Damage: 1d12 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

*sigh* This dice roller really needs to be upgraded.


Sorry, but maybe I'm misunderstanding. My +2 bonus to climb checks turned the 13 you rolled in the first round into a 15- high enough to get over the rubble in the first round, so I can do something during the second round?


Garret Nihks wrote:
so I can do something during the second round?

Sorry, I meant that took your entire action for the first round. You can act now during the second round.


Taking out the whip he almost always has, Garret strikes at one of the dogs.

Whip:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Nonlethal Damage:1d3 ⇒ 1


Nathaniel, badly wounded, brings his ax down onto the dog in front of him, cleaving off a large chunk of the animal and killing it instantly.

The last dog dodges Xarina's hit but is struck by Garret's whip. Sensing his fate, the dog turns tail and runs off in to the direction he came.

Two dogs dead, the last one got the hells out of here.


Malchius will desperately fling a glob of acid at the fleeing dog, rather than risk it alerting others to something amiss.

Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

And splashes the ceiling in his haste, coming nowhere near the running dog.


It seems the group is out of danger for the time being. Is some healing in order?


Those that need to heal should do so. Xarina will press on from here and save some healing for later.


"Does anybody here have skill with first aid?" Malchius asks, looking worried at Nathaniel's wounds.


"I've got enough energy left for one healing spell. Let's hope it's enough." Gently, Garret places a hand on Nathaniel's arms and hums the notes for the spell to take shape.

Cure Light Wounds:1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Don't forget, we have a healing surge we can use

Healing Surge:
healing surges. Once a day a player can use his stored reserves to heal himself. You may rest for 10 minutes and regain half of your total hit points (rounded up). Or, if time is important, you may do a "quick surge" and use a full round to regain a quarter of your total hit points (rounded up). For example, a player with 15 hit points can take a 10 minute rest and regain 8 points, or a full round and regain 4 points. This can be done only once a day, regardless of which type is used.


Malchius looks suspiciously at Garrett.

"Not that I'm not appreciative of the healing magic, but just where is it coming from, friend, if you catch my meaning?"


"Music and magic are as one for me. I use one to shape the other, and vice versa. I'm no priest, so ease your worries. I intone no prayers when I cast." Garret replies without a pause. "I can try teaching you the songs later, once our quarry has been caught."


Yes, please remember the Healing Surges. I have added the details to the bottom of the Campaign Info tab, so it is there if you need to remember how to use it. Nathaniel, let me know if you'd like to do this instead of using Garret's healing. Also, if anyone else needs to heal let me know. I'm going to move things along now.

The group continues down the tunnels. Every few moments a slight tremor can be felt and rocks fall from the top of the tunnel. For the next 250' the sound of splashing water can be heard, getting louder as you approach. Finally you reach the source, a split in the top of tunnel from which gushes to the ground. It flows down the path, making the floor somewhat muddy.

Garret scouts ahead a short distance in front of his fellow Watchmen. About 120' past the water leak, can see a light off into the distance.

Garret, give me a perception and a stealth. Also, you realize that your own light source behind you may be seen from anyone up ahead. Everyone else give me stealth checks.


Stealth 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

I like noise and I cannot lie!


Perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Stealth:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

I'll put all four of the dancing lights as far back(20ft) as they go, whether is helps or not.


Nathaniel whispers his thanks to Garret before moving close to the wall, attempting to make the best use of the shadows cast by Garrett's dancing lights.

Stealth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


My computer at work has been down the last two days. I hope to get something up tonight or tomorrow morning.


Malchius stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Malchius perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3

other rolls:

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


The tunnels around Garret widens and the muddy trickle flowsout into a spacious cistern-like structure that appears like it’s part of the Azir sewer system. He can see a few figures huddled around a large sheet of paper, all staring intently.

As Garret tries to watch silently to collect more information on who they are and what they are doing, someone's scabbard scrapes against the wall of the tunnel behind him (It was Malchius!), and the sound echoes down into the sewers. One of the men looks up from the map and stares out in Garret's direction. The man then quiets the others and they all begin looking up the sewer path to the tunnel opening. +

They are all about 70'-80' from Garret. Garret realizes that his lights are behind him, but may be illuminating the tunnel slightly enough to be seen by these men. Garret can't be sure of this, the curve of the opening may be enough to not let any light through.

251 to 300 of 474 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Sinvel's Tales of the Night Watchmen All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.