Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Sinvel's Tales of the Night Watchmen

Game Master Sinvel Menter

Follows the journey of four new members of the Night Watchmen in the Great City of Azir.


151 to 200 of 474 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

"Or we could try knocking," Malchius suggests.


"I like the knocking idea. We could ask why he's closed and see how he reacts."


"The question is: with armbands or without?"


"Hmmm, without I would say. Makes us less intimidating."


So then, knock on the door and ask questions without armbands? If so just let me know.


"I agree. We can always bring one of us back with an armband, if we want to be official. I'll hang back, and I think we should send Garrett on his own; he is far and away the least intimidating and would seem less likely to raise suspicion."


"That feels like a good course of action. I think I may hang back as well. Some people find me unsettling at times. I will keep watch and come if needed."


Garret makes his way back to the cheese shop once again, only this time he makes no attempt to hide. He bangs on the door and peers in though the windows and spots the portly man once again.

As soon as the man hears the raps on the door he freezes in place. He stays still for a few moments and then notices that Garret has spotted him. Looking unsure of what to do, the man decides to walk to the door and open it. "I'm sorry, but we're closed." he says to Garret.

Garret, Sense Motive check please.


Sense Motive:1d20 ⇒ 9

"Really? You're usually open at this time of day."


Garret Nihks wrote:
"Really? You're usually open at this time of day."

"Uh...yes, you're right, but today is my...anniversary. Yes, me and the misses, 20 years today you see. And I must get out quickly, so sorry." the man says.


Seeing an opportunity, Nathaniel removes his armband and walks purposefully toward the door. "Good day gentlemen," he says as he continues to head directly into the store, "Don't mind me; I just need to pick up a few things."

Unless the man at the door moves to stop him, Nathaniel will head directly into the store, pushing past the man.

If needed, Bluff 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28 (+2 because the man is a human)


Knowledge(Local), or, is this man married?:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Just trying to see what I know about this guy.


Garret, you believe this man is married, but you have no idea of the date of his anniversary.

The old man doesn't resist Nathaniel physically when he opens the door widely and walks in, but the shopkeeper immediately starts to tell the tale of being late to meet his wife in a rushed and nervous manner.

Now that Garret has a better view of the man, it is plain to see that he appears to be under some sort of stress. Beads of sweat start pouring from the man's forehead, and Nathaniel notices that his hands are trembling slightly.

As he begs the two "customers" to leave so that he may close up shop, the two Watchmen also notice that the cheese shop owner keeps glancing over their shoulder. Turning to see what he may be look at, they can see a tall wine rack which holds several bottles. The rack is moved away from the wall a few inches on one side, almost like a door that is ajar.


"Ah, were you going to take some wine with you?" Garret asks as he goes to inspect the wine. "Strange that it's moved like this though."

Garret turns to see how the shopkeep reacts to his proximity to the wine rack.


Watching from outside, Malchius says, "We should stir things up a bit more. Head in Xarina, with your armband. Tell him something about reports of a cut purse using the alleyway behind his shop, and did he know anything about that."


Xarina nods. She puts her armband on, walks up to the store and steps in and looks at the owner.

"I am investigating reports of a thief who has of late been using the alleyway behind your shop. What do you know about this?" she asks in an authoritative manner.

Intimidate 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


"Um..no, we have wine at home. Weren't you here for some cheese?" the old man says to Garret as he tries to pull him away from the wine rack and towards the cheese. As he does so Garret can see behind the wine rack a bit and spots an opening in the wall. It appears to be a secret door of some sort.

Just then Xarina walks in and asks the shopkeeper about the alleyway and the old man, spotting her armband, freezes for moments then begins mumbling and shaking profusely. "Thieves?! What...uh...thieves?"

Yes, there is a secret door behind the wine rack!! (hint, hint)


Figuring the pot must be stirred up enough by now, Malchius makes his way to the door, armband on. With the shopkeeper distracted, he casts charm person on him. DC 16.

I'll wait to see if it takes before deciding his next action.


Will: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (1) + 0 = 1

I'm pretty sure he failed it!


Malchius steps into the shop, armband visible. As soon as the shopkeeper sees him, he telepathically says to the charmed man:

Cheese man:
"Don't react. I'm here to help you. I'll take care of this."

Out loud, he says, "Ruga! What's going on here! You've got the wrong shop! Idiot half orc. Stay there while I fix this."
Bluff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

He takes the man by the arm and leads him to the back. "Why is your shop still open? Are our friends safely inside?" he whispers harshly.


"You could've told me before I barged in." she growls.


The old man squints at Malchius for a moment then whispers back "Uh, um, yes, they are. I tried to get these people out before they came back up...uh, where do I know you from again?"


Malchius grabs his arm, looking even sterner. "You don't! That's the point!"

Telepathy:
"Got it?"

"Now, I'll get these idiots out. Is everybody here? Think man! How many of us are down there?"


A look of comprehension and then relief washes over the shopkeeper's face. "There are two of them." he whispers quietly to Malchius.


"And the back exit is secure? Nobody's discovered the secret way out down there?" he whispers back.


While Malchius has the shopkeeper occupied, Nathaniel begins to eye every inch of what he can see carefully and slowly, starting with the wine rack.

I'm taking 20 on a Perception check (+7) and will continue to do so until something interrupts me.


Sorry guys, hectic Monday. Hope to post tonight.


"Yes, everything is still secure. I was about to call down to them to tell them we have company up here when they just barged in, and I was unable to close the secret door."

Nathaniel begins inspecting the rest of the shop. Save for secret passageway the interior appears to be a normal cheese and wine shop.


"Yes, I can see that one that you've carelessly left open. It's a wonder the wandering slip didn't spot it! I'm talking about the other exit down below. Our friends can still slip out of the basement that way?"


Malchius wrote:
"Yes, I can see that one that you've carelessly left open. It's a wonder the wandering slip didn't spot it! I'm talking about the other exit down below. Our friends can still slip out of the basement that way?"

"Well I've never been down there myself, but they lead somewhere. They always come back empty handed." the shopkeeper says, but as he does so he starts to get nervous again, perhaps because of the others who are still in his shop.


Malchius nods. "Head over there," he says, indicating a far wall of the store, "give me a count of thirty, and knock over some things on the shelf. I'll get these folks out of here."

He heads over to the rest of the party, whispering. "There are some sort of secret tunnels beneath this shop that thieves or smugglers use to run goods. There's just two of them down there at the moment. If we can incapacitate this guy quickly and quietly, we should have the element of surprise on the criminal element below."


Nathaniel nods in understanding. Motioning to the counting shop keeper, Nathaniel gives Xarina a knowing glance, "Would you like to do the honors?"

If Xarina moves toward the shop keeper (who Nathaniel now views as a confirmed criminal), Nathaniel will back her up just in case he does not drop from what he is expecting to be non-lethal damage.


Xarina nods. She whispers: "Here goes."

Her pupils dilate as rage course though her muscles and they become taut with strength.

Controlled Rage: +4 to STR.

She quickly moves over to the shopkeep and hits him as hard as she can in the gut.

Attack 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Garret sighs. He was never going to get a discount on cheese here now.


The shopkeeper's look more and more terrified as the half-orc comes closer. "Um...wait..I..." is all that he is able to get out before Xarina punches him straight in the stomach. The old man is clearly not used to combat and goes down on his knees moaning.

Garret (or any of you for that matter) will definitely not be getting any good deals here in the future. Osmont is fairly subdued now and would be easy to tie up or put in manacles.


"Now, sir, it is possible that you are aiding these thieves against your will, that they are perhaps forcing you to go along with their scenes and allow them to use your shop as they do. That will be up to the magistrate to determine. Anything you can tell us about the men below, however, will definitely help your case."


Nathaniel leans over to Xarina, "If he starts to speak loudly, gag him or put him out." Nathaniel then begins to bind the man, while motioning to Garrett. Once he has Garrett's attention, Nathaniel motions to the secret passage and puts his hand up to his ear, while pointing intently down the stairs.


Xarina nods and whispers back: "Got it. Let me catch my breath before we go down."


Nodding, Garret makes his way over to the door and listens carefully.

Perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


I forgot to say that I ended the rage.


Osmont stares at Malchius for a moment then looks over at Nathaniel. "I should have known that you weren't a smuggler when your twin brother was a member of the Watchmen." he says as he points his head over at Nathaniel.

"I had no choice. They came in one day when my wife and I was closing shop and threatened her life if I didn't agree to help them. They had a knife at her throat and even drew blood. We've been together for 42 years!" he says, trying to hold back the tears.

"So it was either have both of us killed or let them use my shop and get a few 100 gold every month. Supposedly there is a network of tunnels under the city and one leg was fairly close to my shop. After I agreed they made that secret door and dug down to connect to it."

"That's all I know. I'm not even sure what they're smuggling, it is always in bags and under their clothes. Please, help me. I'm too old to be sent to a dungeon cell!"

Everyone is free to make a sense motive check if they'd like.


Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 18


Sense Motive 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


Sense Motive 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

After securing the manacles, Nathaniel stands up, hands Xarina a gag to use as she sees fit, heads quietly over to the stairs (take 10 to Move Silently = 14), takes a position at the opening opposite Garrett, and listens intently.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Apparently, I can hear nothing other than the sad story of an otherwise good citizen who got mixed up with the wrong crowd; alas, another sleepless night.


It appears to the three of you that old man Osmont is telling the heartfelt truth.

Nathaniel moves to the opening of the secret passage. He can see that the passage opens with a sharp drop beyond the wall and can see a ladder descending down, but is unable to hear anything from the depths.


My 21 hear anything?


As Xarina tightly gags the man she growls in his ear: "You should have thought about what this would cost you when you agreed to it. While the safety of your wife is important, you had plenty of time to get word to someone since then. If she means that much to you, you should have gotten help to deal with it sooner. Think about that for a while."

When she is done she stands and whispers to the others: "That should do it. I am ready" as she draws her scimitar.


Garret listens at the tunnel entrance and can't hear much except for a distant echo of his own footsteps. It appears the tunnels below go on for some distance.

Ready to go down? What is the marching order?


I'll go first.

Waving for the others to follow, Garret makes his way down the stairs, short sword at the ready.

Stealth:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


Xarina will follow next with her scimitar readied. She tries to be stealthy as she can.

Stealth 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

151 to 200 of 474 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Sinvel's Tales of the Night Watchmen All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.