Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DM Sinvel's Tales of the Night Watchmen

Game Master Sinvel Menter

Follows the journey of four new members of the Night Watchmen in the Great City of Azir.


101 to 150 of 474 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

As the group is about to resume their patrols, an older man approaches them. He is frail and very thin. His chin sports a week's worth of stubble and his lack of a recent bath can be sensed several steps before he gets within speaking distance. His sleeves open into a void. His hands are missing and he wears a crudely made hook on his right arm.

"Aye, you lads o' the Night Watch. I gots somethin' o' interest for ye. Someone up to no good I tell ye! But I nay had a good meal in some time. Give an old man a hot meal and I tell ye 'bout it."


Xarina sizes the old man up. Sense Motive:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

"I don't know. How do we know you aren't just trying to get a free meal?" Xarina says suspiciously.


Malchius wanders off from the group, scanning the crowd. Once he's thirty feet away from the old man, and behind him, he waits for the group to distract the man, and then he casts charm person on the individual. Will save DC 16. He'll wait to see if he can sense the man resisting his charm before he heads back to the group.


Xarina stares at the man after her question and notices that he cowers a bit and looks a bit disappointed. He seems honest to you.

"Aye, I be mightily hun-gray, but I tell ye, something ain't right."

Malchius moves away a bit to keep the beggar from noticing a spell being cast on him. Will: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6


Malchius steps up to the group again, putting a friendly hand on the man's shoulder. "My good man," Malchius says. "You have seen what we see, something is wrong about these parts, but you have been more clever to see what that something is, have you not? You understand that time is of the essence for us, don't you? It really would be best if you told us what you have noticed now, and I promise you that we will honour your help with a proper meal."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


"Aye might hun-gray but ye have a deal, sir." the beggar says as he holds out his hooked hand to Malchius. "Names Brissen, sir. Ye'll see I have good me word!"

Brissen starts walking away, motioning for the Watchmen to follow. Along the way he tells the group why he is suspicious. "Aye, I see me lots of the city. O' here is a small cheese shop down the East Market. A man name Osmont Rudridge me think owns it. For the past month nay so, coupla times a week, it close at odd hours. Right during the middle of the day, for no reason. And then durin' thus time I seen a few people slip in and out, one them me friend recogniz'd a two-bit criminal named...Krymor? Kyrmar? Somethin' o' that. Me partner say he even do some smugglin'. Thas the word on the street an'way."

Brissen takes the Watchmen to the corner of East Market in the Trades Ward. There sits a small stone storefront-cottage with a sign reading Rudridge’s Cheese Shop. A short flight of stairs leads up to an arched walnut door set with tiny panes of glass. A broad display window crammed with cheese can be seen from the street.

The beggar then holds out his hand, his smile showing several missing teeth. He has a look of joy on his face like he has done well and is about to be rewarded.


"Brissen! That is some sharp set of eyes you have, and a good head on your shoulders, too. You can't know what this means to me, to all of us, that you came to us with this information. Now here's what I'm going to do. My friends and I are staying at The Merchants Heaven Inn. You know where that is? Right, of course you do. Now I want you to take this note, and give it to the innkeeper. Go around back, and she'll see to it that you get a decent meal. I must say, I could really use a fellow like you on a regular basis, with all that you see and hear in this city. If you head around back, nobody else will know that you helped us. I wouldn't want you to get in any kind of trouble or danger on our account, but I'm good to my word, and I want you to have that meal. Do we have a deal?"

Malchius writes out a note, assuming Brissen agrees to the arrangement, telling the innkeeper that this man was instrumental in helping them uncover something quite nefarious, and if she could see to it that he got a good meal as a reward, charged to Malchius' tab, of course, he'd be quite grateful. And it's perfectly fine if the innkeeper doesn't want to sit this man in her common room and would rather he eat his food around back by the stables out of sight.

He also gives Brissen a silver piece to buy more food in the future.


As we follow the old man Xarina wonders: Krymar, Krymor. That name sounds vaguely familiar. Where have I heard it before?

Knowledge: Local. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


Nathaniel leans over casually to Malchius and whispers, "Ask him for the name of his friend who spotted Krymar and knows about Krymar's smuggling."


Malchius nods and relays Nathaniel's question before the man rushes off.


Xarina wrote:
As we follow the old man Xarina wonders: Krymar, Krymor. That name sounds vaguely familiar. Where have I heard it before?

Xarina has not heard of the man before.

Malchius asks Brissen about his friend. "Ye, his name be Pokie. Not sure if it be his real name r' not, but thats what I call 'im!"


When the old man has gone Xarina looks over at the others and says:
"How do we want to play this?


Let me know what the plan is guys!


Nathaniel mulls the situation before offering his thoughts. "I'm open to suggestions, but I think we see what our brightest member," nodding toward Malchius, "can learn about Osmont, the owner, through city records, while our most inconspicuous member" nodding toward Garrett, "surveils the store to see who comes and goes."

Nathaniel eyes Garrrett carefully, as an additional thought forms. "In fact, we might even consider sending Garrett in to buy some cheese to get an inside look at the place and a feel for the layout. With the right clothes, he could easily pass for a kid, which may be less likely to arouse suspicion."

"In the meantime, Xarina and I could ask around discretely to see what there is to know about Osmont, Krymor, and 'pokie'."

"What do you think?"


"Why is it I'm always the one sent to the Hall of Records? The old crone behind the desk keeps making eyes at me, must think I'm sweet on her the number of times I've been there lately."


"Hey, I've spent my fair time there my friend," Nathaniel says as a grin creeps across his face. "Speaking of which, if she asks why 'you' never showed up for the date she asked you out on a few weeks ago, just pretend like you have no idea what she's talking about."

Nathaniel takes a precautionary step back, out of Malchius's swinging range.


"Seems like a reasonable plan to me. I am not much good at being discrete and all but I will help where I can. I definitely can keep a look out for trouble. I do have keen eyes. That and I can look malevolent when needed."

Xarina grins.


"Why you-" Malchius takes a deep breath. "Fine, I'll go, but don't be surprised if she comes to our door in some Calistrian lingerie, on some night when I'm not there!"

Malchius will head to the Hall of Records to learn what he can about Osmont.

Knowledge local: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16


Nathaniel suddenly realizes he may have started something he's not prepared to finish!

A distracted and somewhat concerned look passes across Nathaniel's face before he returns to the matters at hand. He turns to Xarina, "You make a good point. How about you stay within shouting distance of the shop; if something goes wrong, you are the best person to back Garrett up. In the meantime, I will ask around about Osmont, Krymor, and Pokie."

Assuming there is no further discussion (and assuming Garrett is okay with this plan), Nathaniel separates from the group, removes his nightwatch armband, and starts hitting his usual spots for learning what others don't necessarily want him to know.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Knowledge (local) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

The knowledge is +2 if any of these people are humans

Wow. Still with the dice!


"It's a plan then. If anything happens I will give a shout."

Xarina will keep a lookout for anything suspicious. Other than herself that is.

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


Garret will be hit or miss posting because of computer problems, so for now let's say he is keeping watch on the other side of the cheese shop.

Nathaniel patiently works with people who look as though they may know something about the underground. Although he waits a while before slyly attempting to pry for information, he keeps coming up empty. Most people not confessing anything about the three names he floats into conversation other than Osmont being the owner of the cheese shop.

Malchius makes his way to the Hall or Records. There he finds Breenie, the old crone herself, about to close up for the day. She sees Malchius approaching and her she freezes. Her face gets flush and then she suddenly begins her work again, faster than before. Papers fall to the floor and scrolls are bent before she finally slams the counter opening closed just as Malchius arrives. "We're closed!" says an angry voice behind the wood door.

Xarina waits as Malchius and Nathaniel are off looking for information. For nearly an hour no one other than maids and servant women enter and leave the cheese shop. But just as dusk settles over Azir two people with cloaks over their bulky frames enter. From the sharp points of their silhouettes, it appears their cloaks are covering something other than flesh. A few moments later a hand opens the door from within and places a sign on the door: "Closed".


"Breenie, my dear. To what do I owe this cold reception? What has that scoundrel Nathaniel done in my name?"


DM Sinvel wrote:

Garret will be hit or miss posting because of computer problems, so for now let's say he is keeping watch on the other side of the cheese shop.

Xarina waits as Malchius and Nathaniel are off looking for information. For nearly an hour no one other than maids and servant women enter and leave the cheese shop. But just as dusk settles over Azir two people with cloaks over their bulky frames enter. From the sharp points of their silhouettes, it appears their cloaks are covering something other than flesh. A few moments later a hand opens the door from within and places a sign on the door: "Closed".

How far away are they? And in which direction do they go?


Malchius wrote:
"Breenie, my dear. To what do I owe this cold reception? What has that scoundrel Nathaniel done in my name?"

There is a slight hesitation, then Breenie cracks the door open just enough to look through. Even from this angle, Malchius can see the woman's beady eyes looking at him as well as the huge mole on her cheek, which makes Breenie appear to have a grotesque third nipple on her face.

"You know what you did! Embarrassed me so. Come calling as ye did and then not show yourself. I waited for hours!" she yells through the opening. "I ain't never heard of no Nathaniel!"


Xarina wrote:
How far away are they? And in which direction do they go?

The shop is about 100' away. The two suspicious people are still in the cheese shop which is now closed.


Xarina slowly makes her way over to Garret and tells him of what she has seen.

"I saw two persons enter the shop just as it closed and looked like they had something bulky under their cloaks. Not sure what it was they had under there. I will continue to keep an eye out."

She makes her way back to where she was before.


"Never heard of Nathaniel? That would make you the only City employee not to know about my annoying twin. I am sorry for his cruel and callous treatment of you, my dear. I see that you are about to close up for the evening. If you would be so kind as to let me in to look up some important records on possible criminals, I would be ever so grateful, and would love to buy you an, unfortunately brief as duty calls, dinner as my thanks. What do you say?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Nathaniel is so going to pay for this. Someday, sometime, when he's not expecting it, he will pay.


Malchius wrote:
"What do you say?"

Breenie seems confused for a moment. Then her hurt seems to fade. "Well, I suppose if it's for official business I'd be wrong to close you out. Wouldn't mind a bite eat, neither." she says as she opens the door. "Now, tell me who yer after."

Breenie helps Malchius find the information he needs. The only name that have any records here is Osmont Rudridge, the cheese shop owner. Malchius learns that Osmont has owned the shop for just over a decade and has always paid his taxes, except for last year when he was late with them. Also his profits have been in decline for the past few years, which may have had something to do with his delinquency.

Are you taking her to dinner now? How long before you get back to your men? It has been about 35 minutes so far.


Like he said, a quick bite to eat, during which he will mention several times how duty calls, and he wishes he could linger, but he does take her someplace reasonably nice, as he can't abide the idea of losing a potentially asset within the city government. He's a bit distracted, however, as he's busy planning on how he's going to bring his vengeance down on Nathaniel for making him have to do this! Hopefully, the whole affair takes no more than twenty minutes.


Let us know when Don Juan De-Malchius [by the way, bravo, Malchius, bravo] and I make it back to Xarina and Garrett.


All, I'm about to go on vacation and will be without a computer for a little while. This game will be on hiatus for a little over a week. I will return on June 5th and we'll see what is up with this cheese shop. I'll give you all a hint, something doesn't smell right!


No worries. Enjoy the R&R, and when you get back, we can cut to the cheese... I mean, the chase.

Besides, that gives me time to plan Malchius' revenge against Nathaniel.


We'll be waiting.


Just as I come back for a bit too! Haha, no worries on my part though, have a nice trip!


Enjoy the trip!


All, thanks for the well wishes! I'm back in town but work is crazy. I'll try posting tomorrow night. Sorry for the delay!


Although Nathaniel is frustrated to return to the group without learning a single bit of useful information, he has a little spring in his step imagining what Malchius must be going through in order to get anything useful of his own. After close to an hour and a half, Nathaniel makes his way back to where Xarina is spying on the little cheese shop. He finds her there talking to Garrett and they seem to be staring intently at the shop.

Malchius tries his best to be good company with Breenie, but it is hard for him to hide his impatience. A few times he believes that Breenie is able to tell that he is nodding absentmindedly to her talk and gossip, which jerks him back into his current situation. It takes longer than he planned, but he is finally able to say his goodbyes and make his way back to the group.


OK guys, let's get back to it! I promise the pace will pick up soon.


Would probably help if Xarina and I knew why we're staring so intently. :)


Garret wrote:
Would probably help if Xarina and I knew why we're staring so intently. :)

Sure thing. From a few posts up, you and Xarina are waiting to see if the two suspicious people leave the cheese shop, which they have not.

Xarina wrote:

Xarina slowly makes her way over to Garret and tells him of what she has seen.

"I saw two persons enter the shop just as it closed and looked like they had something bulky under their cloaks. Not sure what it was they had under there. I will continue to keep an eye out."


Nathaniel tells Garret and Xarina, "I didn't learn a thing," but he nevertheless seems to be in a good mood. "Garrett, do you think you can get in closer for a better look and listen without being seen or heard?"


"Osmunt Rudridge has been posting smaller and smaller profits over the past year or so," Malchius reports, never taking his eyes off of Nathaniel. "And he was late with his taxes last year. This valuable information I was able learn for the mere cost of a dinner date with Breenie the file clerk. Sorry it took so long, but she insisted on dessert."

Malchius' stare promises serious pain down the road.


"I can try, but I make no guarantees." Slipping a dagger into his hand, Garret crouches down and makes his way across the street as quickly and quietly as he can at the moment.

Stealth:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Surprised that he can barely hear the sound of his own footsteps, Garret goes to the door and listens.

Perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

It's like the dice are apologizing for those botched Acrobatics checks earlier...


As Garret approaches the shop he can see a short flight of stairs which leads up to an arched walnut door set with tiny panes of glass. A dangling wooden placard hangs, suspended from a wrought-iron frame above a broad display window crammed with cheese.

Garret expertly makes his way onto the porch of the cheese shop with nary a sound. He gets into a perfect position to look through the shop windows with little chance of being seen himself. He peers inside and spots a portly balding man in a white muslin apron running about the shop, cleaning in somewhat of a panic.


I'm going to relay what Garret saw to try to help move this along.

The group can see Garret when he approaches the shop, but as soon as he reaches the porch he almost vanishes from view after blending into a shady area.

After a while Garret returns. "I didn't spy anyone inside save for a portly balding man. He was curiously running about the shop cleaning and appeared to me to be in somewhat of a panic."

OK, plans?


"Sounds like he is trying to clean up something before someone sees it. Should we break down the door or quietly sneak in? Or should we try talking to him?"


"Just how are we going to break down a door quietly?"

Sorry about not replying quicker.


Is it still normal business hours?


"Perhaps he is preparing for the arrival of someone important; or was unprepared for the guests he already has. Either way, unless someone recognizes this man or can think of another way to get a better look inside without actually breaking and entering, I say we wait and see what happens. As it stands, the owner has done nothing wrong that we know of, other than deprive the city of its afternoon cheese."

Although Nathaniel wants to take action, he is sworn to uphold the law and is not (yet) ready to start breaking it do so.


"I didn't say to quietly break it down, I mean either break it down or pick the lock."

101 to 150 of 474 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Sinvel's Tales of the Night Watchmen All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.