Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DM Sinvel's Tales of the Night Watchmen

Game Master Sinvel Menter

Follows the journey of four new members of the Night Watchmen in the Great City of Azir.


51 to 100 of 474 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Whip? Check. Dagger? Check. Spell Component Pouch? Check.

"I'll just wait here then." Garret tells the others as he leans back in his chair. He tried not to go anywhere with at least what he'd need to protect himself.

Sometimes cheating husbands weren't happy you told their wife about the affair.


Malchius likewise leaves all but 10 gp, and a handful of silvers and coppers, in his room. "I can't believe I've actually come to worrying about losing twenty gold to a pick pocket," he mutters to Nathaniel.

He also leaves his spell book, takes his weapons, and heads out with his doppelgänger roommate.


Xarina returns with her weapons. A big greataxe is strapped to her back and a scimitar on her left hip.
She grins, "Now I am ready. I don't always use this but it makes people scared to piss me off," She says as she gestures to the axe.

She rolls a cigarette and lights it in the kitchen.

"I love a good smoke" she says as everyone heads out the door.


Nathaniel mutters to Malchius, "I know; I feel like a fool with this pouch around my neck." Nathaniel glances back at Garrett as he walks toward the door after Xarina. "That said, Garret knows these streets better than any of us--well, better than me any way--so I'll follow his lead." With that, Nathaniel makes a production of opening the door, holding it open, and gesturing broadly with a slight bow for Garret and Malchius to head out before him.


"Tsk, Tsk, Nathaniel. Don't you know it's polite to let a lady go first?" Garret asks, teasing both Xarina and him. He goes through the door anyway. "You should do the bow more often though, I liked it."


As the four of you exit the inn and start to make plans on how to work your patrol, a boy with blonde hair and a wooden sword in his belt walks up.

"Hey! Ready to crack criminal scum heads in today?!"

This is Little Eddie. Everyone at the Merchants Heaven Inn knows this little tike, who is probably around eleven or twelve years old. He knows all of the Watchmen by name and is often seen eating meals at the inn. Some say that he is an orphan, but Little Eddie insists that he is not. You have heard talk at the inn that the he is somewhat of a mascot to the elder Watchmen and there are even rumors that Little Eddie can be a source of reliable information. Although since the four of you have started living at the inn it seems that he has taken a special interest in Garret. He likes to follow Garret around and loves to walk along with the group while on patrol.


Little Eddie wrote:

As the four of you exit the inn and start to make plans on how to work your patrol, a boy with blonde hair and a wooden sword in his belt walks up.

"Hey! Ready to crack criminal scum heads in today?!"

Xarina takes a puff of her cigarette, exhales some smoke and says, "That depends on how they act. They'll get their heads knocked in if they don't cooperate."


"Hey there Eddie! Yep, gonna bring in the bad guys today!" Garret says before pretending to look a bit closer at the boy. "You seem taller than last time... You haven't been helping mages test their potions, have you?"


Garret Nihks wrote:
"You seem taller than last time... You haven't been helping mages test their potions, have you?"

"That ain't no potions! I'm just getting taller!" Eddie says, beaming. The he lowers his tone, "Why, do you know of any mages who would give me free potions?"

Little Eddie walks alongside Garret during the entire patrol unless someone tells him some reason he shouldn't be with them.

First part of your patrol day, please give me perceptions everyone.


"Nope, and even if I did, I wouldn't tell you. You hear of anyone giving out free potions you let me know, 'kay? There are some tricky people out there. You might end up pick and fluffy if you aren't careful."

"Say, why don't you go around the Market and see what the food vendors have today? Never know when I might get hungry on patrol, or when I'm willing to share." :)

Perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19

Malchius is sharp and alert this morning.


Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

Xarina is especially keen today.


Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Nathaniel is distracted, and his senses are dulled from a lack of sleep.


Garret Nihks wrote:
"Say, why don't you go around the Market and see what the food vendors have today? Never know when I might get hungry on patrol, or when I'm willing to share."

Little Eddie runs off to fulfill Garret's request. He returns a half hour later, out of breath. "Its the same as any other day. Garoval has some fresh mangos in today though." he says.

The first few hours are uneventful. The weather is slightly cool for this time of year, and the sky is clear. Another beautiful day in Azir, and everyone seems to be behaving themselves.

I believe it was decided we travel in pairs. Can you please tell me who is paired with who? Sorry I didn't clarify earlier!

However, around four in the afternoon, Xarina catches a glimpse of a man bumping in to someone else and when he continues to walk again she notices the man put something in his pocket. And just as it is dawning on her that she has seen a pickpocket in action, the man turns around sees the Watchmen staring at him. His eyes get wide and then he panics.

He runs in the opposite direction and as he nears the fountain in the middle of the market square, he appears to be trapped, the crowd too thick to pass through. He expertly jumps up on the slippery fountain ledge and passes to the other side without difficulty.

Rolls:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

The chase is on. Xarina and whoever she is partnered with need to try and catch the pick pocket, only this will be difficult given how crowded the market is today. The thief is about 60' ahead of you. It will take you a full round action to move 30'. For every round there will be a roll needed to make a DC for doing something to move. This round, Xarina and her partner need to decide between pushing through the crowd (DC 20 Strength) or jumping over a wide gutter (DC 15 Acrobatics).


Malchius probably ended up with Nathaniel, as despite some of their differences, they are roommates and have a strange bond.

Unless you think they would avoid working together on purpose, Nathaniel?


Sinvel: I have the following ability with the relevant part in bold.
If Malchius and Nathanial pair up then I would be with Garret by default.

"Thief! Make way! Xarina yells as she gives chase while drawing her scimitar.

Crowd Control:
At 1st level, an urban barbarian gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC when adjacent to two or more enemies. In addition, her movement is not impeded by crowds, and she gains a bonus equal to 1/2 her barbarian level on Intimidate checks to influence crowds. This ability replaces fast movement.


Malchius wrote:

Malchius probably ended up with Nathaniel, as despite some of their differences, they are roommates and have a strange bond.

Sounds good, I'll pair the two of you together. I think we had Xarina rooming with another female Watchmen. She's modest I guess.

Malchius, choose a path and make the appropriate check.
Xarina, you pass through the crowd with no problem, but still only move 30'.
Nathaniel and Garret, you are on the other side of Market Square and the ambient noise covers Xarina's shouting. You each will need a DC20 Perception check and even then you only have a 20% chance of hearing her this round.


Perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 Gah, so close!

Where were the pickpockets? They had been out here for hours now, and it seemed like all the pickpockets decided to take the day off or something!


So is Malchius with Nathaniel or Xarina?

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 9


DM Sinvel wrote:
Sounds good, I'll pair the two of you together.

I think I'm with you; in case I'm with Garret:

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Wow; these "dice" are cold!


Nathaniel stikes up conversation with Malchius and, as is always the case with Malchius, cannot help but notice how familiar he seems. The familiarity is something more than appearance, however. Although they look nearly identical to others, to Nathaniel, Malchius looks very different than what Nathaniel pictures himself looking like. Anyone who has stared in a mirror long enough to see a stranger in the reflection knows the feeling.

Still, there is a similarity that is every bit as inexplicable as it is undeniable. Malchius is a Keleshite, not a Taldan; how can it be that Nathaniel feels like he knows him so well when he knows that he doesn't?

Freeing himself from his self-absorbed thoughts, Nathaniel refocuses on their conversation. "It seems unusually quiet today."


Assist me comrades!" Xarina yells as she continues pursuing the thief.


Garret Nihks wrote:
Perception:1d20+6 Gah, so close!

OK, sorry for the confusion, Garrent is with Xarina. So Garret, you need to decide between pushing through the crowd (DC 20 Strength) or jumping over a wide gutter (DC 15 Acrobatics) and then make the appropriate check.

Nathaniel, you can make a DC20 perception check and then have a 20% chance of hearing Xarina call for help.


Oops. Disregard that last bit of wondering then.

Acrobatics:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11 The dice are being fickle...

"Damn crowds!" Garret thinks as he tries leaping over a gutter in an attempt to keep up with Xarina and fails.


Unless the thief has an equally easy time moving through the crowds, would I be gaining on him?


Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

It would seem the gods are punishing at least me for my lack of belief. I'm rocking the d20 with 5, 3, and 5! Good luck Xarina!

P.S. Does Malchius hear the second cry for assistance?


Round 1

The pickpocket looks to be stuck in the crowded marketplace before jumping onto the slippery fountain ledge and moving to the other side of it.

Xarina, with years of experience, is able to move through the crowd almost as if it wasn't there.

Garret is awed by her speed, but doesn't think he can move so swiftly through the people. He sees a clearing on the other side of the gutter, but his toe nicks the top of the short brick wall and he goes stumbling back into the crowd.

Xarina wrote:
Unless the thief has an equally easy time moving through the crowds, would I be gaining on him?

No, because he made progress by moving walking along the edge of a fountain that is up ahead of you. This is loosely following the chase rules from the Gamemastery Guide, but I'm trying to lower the complexity for PbP.

Nathaniel Briton wrote:
P.S. Does Malchius hear the second cry for assistance?

No, he rolled worse than Nathaniel! It will be very hard to hear anything on the other side of the market with this noise. Not impossible, hence the high DC then a low percentage after that.

For Round 2
Garret didn't make any progress, he must choose between the same two options as before.

Xarina is blocked by the vender's carts and stalls themselves. She can either Dodge Behind Stalls (DC15 Knowledge Local) or Feint a merchant into moving the opposite direction (DC15 Bluff). (Sorry, no moving through crowds this time!)

Nathaniel and Malchius are a little closer than before. DC20 Perception then 30% chance if successful.


Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Finally! Are you handling the percentage or do you want me to try a d10?


Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 9


Knowledge:Local 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Xarina doesn't see a way through. "Átok, hogy üszkös tolvaj!"

Orc:
"Curse that blighted thief!"

Are there any other ways around? Like jumping or something?

Xarina looks for another way around. Perception:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


Xarina wrote:
Are there any other ways around? Like jumping or something?

Sorry, those are your only two options.

Nathaniel Briton wrote:
Are you handling the percentage or do you want me to try a d10?

Either way. I'll do it now to speed things up. Need 1 through 30: 1d100 ⇒ 98 Duh! Not this round...

Garret still needs to act, then we'll see how the pick pocket fared.


Acrobatics:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

In his haste to follow after Xarina, Garret fails once again to clear the gutter. Curse this city! Why couldn't parts of it have been designed for the small folk?


What about intimidating a vendor to move a cart? If it isn't an option then my action is not taken. Spoiler tag just in case it is not viable.

action:
"You! Move that cart, now!" Xarina barks to a vendor with a cart.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


Round 2

Rolls:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Xarina:
Sure, that sounds like an acceptable solution this round, but to be fair to everyone else let's stick to the script.

Xarina relays the importance of her pursuit to an older slight woman pushing a cart of handmade bowls and pots. Perhaps sensing the magnitude of the criminal being pursued, perhaps realizing how much work she has put into crafting these meager dishes, the merchant woman's eyes grow big with fright and she pushes with all of might to clear a path for the Wartchman.

As she moves forward Xarina can see the pickpocket dodge a collision with a cart himself.

Garret clears the first ledge of the gutter but is unable to span its width trips once more. Frustrated by his height disadvantage, he lies on the ground and looks up to see Xarina disappear into behind a cart.

You will have to stand up next round.

On the other side of the market, Nathaniel stops Malchius, calling for quiet. He stops for a moment and listens more intently, but then motions to Malchius that it wasn't anything after all.


For Round 3

Xarina, you can either jump on the slippery edge of the fountain (DC 20 acrobatics) or run through the water (DC 15 Strength)

Garret spends this round standing up and making his way a few feet closer to the action.

Nathaniel and Malchius are a little closer than before. DC20 Perception then 40% chance if successful.


Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

1d100 ⇒ 25


Perception;: 1d20 ⇒ 13


"I'm starting to believe those damn rumors." Garret thinks bitterly as he gets to his feet and takes off after Xarina.


Strength:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

"A little water stops me now? Great. May as well meet up with Garret. Don't want anything to happen to either of us." "I'll get that thief."

Xarina disappointingly makes her way back to Garret.


Garret gets up just in time to see Xarina return empty handed.

A little later the pair see Malchius and Nathaniel. Care to share your chase story with them?


"Saw a pickpocket. Had a bit of a pursuit there. Ultimately he got away. Next time though, he's not getting away."


"If he managed to give you two the slip, he's definitely worth keeping an eye out for," says Nathaniel, clapping Xarina on the shoulder. "Did you get a good look at him?"


Sinvel, how good a look did I get? And did he have his face covered any?

"I think I got a good enough look at him. I want to break his legs when I get hold of him. Teach him to run away. I hate thieves."


"If I hadn't had so much trouble with the twice-to-big city..." Garret grumble, "I would have seen him instead of trying to follow Xarina's voice."


Malchius chuckles. "Well, with this cheerful of company, I can't imagine why this thief would ever have wanted to run away!"


Xarina wrote:
Sinvel, how good a look did I get? And did he have his face covered any?

He was a young man with dark hair and blue eyes. The one distinct feature would be his unusually large nose.


"Shall we continue our rounds? Don't want any more thieves trying to get away with something" Xarina says as she takes a look around for any other troublemakers.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

Where was this roll when I needed it earlier?


Nathaniel scans the crowd for a man with a large nose, any indication of trouble, and any member of the Pure Legion:

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


"We lost one pickpocket, yes, but that doesn't mean our rounds are done. There may still be more, despite the rather obvious chase."


Nathaniel Briton wrote:

Nathaniel scans the crowd for a man with a large nose, any indication of trouble, and any member of the Pure Legion:

Perception 1d20 + 7

Nathaniel scans the crowd, but doesn't see anyone matching that description. No Pure Legion either.

51 to 100 of 474 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Sinvel's Tales of the Night Watchmen All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.