Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Shisumo's Jade Regent

Game Master Shisumo


51 to 100 of 1,902 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

28/28 hp

Lamsfel raises an eyebrow at the young man's blush, but says nothing. "Tybus, you don't have to be difficult, you know... Here's what Koya should tell Ameiko. She senses that the sword and Tybus have a link - true, no - we all feel it. But that Tybus won't carry it without Ameiko's explicit and personal approval. If she won't give it, leave it on the pegs. But when she does, we can take it on a hunting expedition."

Yup, that did it, Shisumo. They have certainly done some cool things with the forums over the last year or so!


Current HP: 16/21 Channels Remaining: 3

It's like Paizo listens to its customers or something. Weird.

Callomeleth hid his disappointment that Ameiko would not be accompanying him to the Marsh, but he took some comfort that a great story would surely behind it. "If the cards say that our trek to the Licktoads will bring comfort to a good friend, then there is no question in the matter - the Heroes of Sandpoint must go there. It would be my honor to accompany them into the swamps, so that the story of the sword can be told." A few melodies begin to drift through the elf's mind - perhaps one of them could be adapted to create a song of the Heroes' deeds. He turned to Shalelu, and asked her in their shared tongue, "Will you be coming with us, gwethil?"


28/28 hp
Callomeleth wrote:
It's like Paizo listens to its customers or something. Weird.

I know! That's no way run a business! ;)

In Common, Lamsfel jumps in, "Your mind must have been elsewhere, friend. She said she couldn't - that's why we need you! Uh, you can handle a bow, right?" The grin gives it away, though - he knows you can, but that's not why you were asked to join the group.


Current HP: 16/21 Channels Remaining: 3

Doh! That's what I get for posting something without refreshing my mind on the story. OK, time to salvage my forgetfulness!

A tinge of red creeps across Callomeleth's face, and a sheepish smile grows on his lips. "Of course she did, didn't she?" He turns to Ameiko with a broad grin. "What exactly are the Deverins putting in this stuff, exactly?" He sways in his seat, comically feigning great intoxication.

Whew! That oughta do it. Glad nobody caught that...

Returning to Lamsfel's question, he nods in assent. "I may not have Shalelu's skill, but Old Deadeye himself has seen fit to pass on a tiny bit of his accuracy to me. Between that, the boons the Eternal Rose grants, and a spot of luck, we will return with the truth behind the blade!"


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Gan places his hand on the shoulder of whichever friend is seated next to him and uses it for leverage, slowly and wearily rising to his feet. Even this movement seems to pain him a bit, but his short-lived wince quickly turns to a smile as he says:

Well, I'm not getting any younger. Shall we go?


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Aye. We may want to give some folk a chance to sleep off their drink, though, he adds with a not-serious-at-all smirk.

We should look to supplying ourselves and getting the heading from Shalelu first. Gan, ye be welcome to get a ride from Tomodachi, if 'Lu thinks the journey be okay for a horse. The swamp might be hard for a horse to navigate.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2
Tybus Elhezen wrote:

Aye. We may want to give some folk a chance to sleep off their drink, though, he adds with a not-serious-at-all smirk.

We should look to supplying ourselves and getting the heading from Shalelu first. Gan, ye be welcome to get a ride from Tomodachi, if 'Lu thinks the journey be okay for a horse. The swamp might be hard for a horse to navigate.

Gan smiles warmly in appreciation.

That is kind of you, Tybus. Yes, I would like that, as long as the terrain is safe.


"I think the horse should be safe," Shalelu answers thoughtfully. "The terrain's not the best, but there are dry paths through the marsh, so if you stick to those you should be fine. The Licktoads themselves are a pretty strange bunch, as goblins go - still crazy, but a lot more... organized, relatively speaking. Most of the other tribes in the area don't like them much, and they've always been the smallest in numbers. (There's probably a connection between the two somewhere.) They've got a village built on stilts over the marsh, and I'll get you some directions before you leave, but there's not really a decent map of the marsh to be found, unless one's been made in the last four years. It's never really been a priority."

Any more questions? And is the plan to leave at once, or to sleep off the night's activities, as Tybus suggested?


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

"I'm a decent tracker, but I'll need light to see by. Also I hate the thought of going up against creatures with darkvision at night. I say we set off first thing in the morning."


Current HP: 16/21 Channels Remaining: 3

"That sounds like a wise plan, Tristan. Let's sleep off tonight's merriment, and set out at dawn for the marsh." A smile creeps across his face as he says this. "But tonight, however, is for merriment! One more drink for Niska Mvashti, may she guide our steps tomorrow from the great beyond!" He raised his flagon and quaffed the brew within heartily.


28/28 hp

Lamsfel nods his agreement and raises his glass for the toast, but only sips at the wine within.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Of course, a prudent suggestion. The morning, then.


When Ameiko returns, carrying a tray full of tankards, Shalelu and Sandru propose the hunting trip to her, while Koya suggests the Heroes of Sandpoint can "handle whatever you need handled" while they are gone. Though initially a bit dubious, the tavernkeeper allows herself to be persuaded, and by the time the conversation is over, even seems to be looking forward to the idea. Koya also points out Tybus' link to Song of Sparrows, and Ameiko immediately agrees that he should take it up if he has need of it.

The next morning, Shalelu gives Tristan basic directions to Brinestump Marsh, along with more specific directions to reach the Licktoad village: "When you reach the marsh, you'll skip the first right turn off the Lost Coast Road - that's mostly a fishing trail, and eventually leads to Walthus Proudstump's house - and take the second. It used to be a fishing trail as well, until the Licktoads moved in about thirty-five years ago; now it leads straight to them. Trust me, you'll know when you find it."

Once Ameiko, Shalelu, Sandru and Koya have gone, Bethana watches a little anxiously as Tybus picks up Sng of Sparrows and the five of you head out of town as well, heading south along the Lost Coast Road toward the Brinestump Marsh. The trip is about two hours, and the sun has not even reached its midday peak when you find the marsh itself, a roughly mile and a half square of thick, muddy vegetation and slow-moving water. The marsh wraps around Sog's Bay, and is largely formed by the Soggy River as it splits and re-splits dozens of times on its way into the shallow bay. Heavy, low-bent trees and thick grass cluster about the water, and the ground seems hesitant to carry your weight as you walk along.

Finding the trail marker Shalelu mentioned is easy enough; based on what Tristan knows of the area, the Licktoad village should be about a mile's hike from that point, deep in the center of the marsh.


28/28 hp

A little tension on his face and excitement in his eyes, Lamsfel says, "OK, even though they are goblins, we need to take care - they ahve been here for decades, after all, and even those little maniacs can work up pretty good traps given time."

Looking at the others, he suggests, "How about Tristan and Tybus lead with Gan on horseback behind them. Callomeleth and I will take the rear."

Thinking that single file order would be Tristan, Tybus, Gan, Callomeleth, and Lamsfel.

Two abreast might be Tristan/Tybus, Gan on horseback, with Callomeleth and Lamsfel either maintaining their single-file positions or walking side-by-side.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Gan grips the reigns awkwardly and nods. He sways a bit in the saddle, trying to keep his seat.

Order sounds good to me.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Tybus guides Tomodachi through the soggy terrain, making sure Gan has a smooth ride. He's got his bow strung in his hand and his two swords -- his own cutlass and Song of Sparrows in its lacquered sheath -- hang from his belt.

Spells Prepared:
ray of frost, detect magic, read magic, dancing lights, chill touch, shocking grasp


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Current HP: 16/21 Channels Remaining: 3

Sounds good to me, too.

Callomeleth falls into a steady march with the Heroes, his bow strung and in hand. For a priest of the Eternal Rose, he is rediculously well-armed - no less than a longsword and a mace at his belt, and his quiver and glaive on his back. "I will follow where you lead, Tybus. Let us see if the Licktoads still remember the Heroes of Sandpoint."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The first part of the trail cuts down a sharp incline, a 40-foot tall set of steep bluffs that mark off the edges of the marsh proper. Once it reaches the marsh itself, the trail weaves from one dry patch to another, traveling something that could almost be described as the opposite of a straight line. Were it not for the path and Tristan's wilderness survival skills, you would likely be lost in minutes.

After perhaps half a mile of hiking, the path reaches a broad, rotted-looking bridge over one of the dozens of branches of the Soggy River that twine through the marsh. A long figure kneels beside the stream, holding a finely-made spear and staring into the water intently.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 15
Human? Something else? Does it seem aware of us?

If it appears human (or halfling; Proudstump sounds like a halfling name): Walthus Proudstump? Tybus calls softly, not wanting to disturb the fish, if that's what he's doing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It does appear human.

The figure looks up suddenly at Tybus' words, clearly surprised - it is a man in his late thirties, weatherbeaten but in generally good shape, wearing a basic tunic and trousers. Other than his spear, he does not appear armed or armored. "Who-" the man says, then blinks in surprise at the well-equipped band in front of him. "Who are you?" he finishes, apparently having forgotten his previous task in his startlement.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Tybus tries to set the man at ease. We be friends of Shalelu. Traveling through. Hope we don't disturb the fish too much as we pass.


Current HP: 16/21 Channels Remaining: 3

Callomeleth nods in agreement with Tybus, and speaks softly as well. "He speaks the truth, sir. She had said the Licktoads could be found this way. Have you seen any of the creatures recently?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"Going goblin hunting, eh?" the man says, rising to his feet and approaching Tybus. "Haven't seen any of the blighters around myself, but I'm sure you'll have no trouble with them. Name's Parrick Martheson, hunter and fisherman extraordinaire." He offers his hand.

Sense Motive, DC 20:
Though he is trying to hide it, there is a nervousness in the man's actions that does not seem justified by your situation. Also, you ae reasonably certain he is lying about one or more things in that last sentence, although you are not absolutely sure which ones.

Roll initiative. You are not surprised.

Perception or Hunting (you can roll both), DC 20:
There is a blood trail and some crushed and bent grass leading from where the man was crouched to the shadows underneath the bridge. It is difficult to say for certain, but it looks like there is a small, child-sized humanoid figure lying facedown near the water in the darkness.

Roll initiative. You are not surprised.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Current HP: 16/21 Channels Remaining: 3

Mechanics:

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Callomeleth takes a half step forward, his hand already outstretched to take Parrick's, when he notices something off about the man. There was a quaver in Parrick's voice that bothered the elf - a misplaced minor note in the chord, almost silent, but his ear picked it up. That's when he noticed the streaks of red in the grass, and the subtle trail leading to the bridge's shadow. There was a silent look that passed between the two, and then the elf dropped into a defensive stance. "What is going on here, 'Parrick?' Explain yourself!"


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8, Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Tristan tenses as the elf does and gets ready to fire his bow.

Mechanics:

Spoiler:
Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Mechanics:
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 10

Tybus doesn't see anything wrong, but will trust his companions.

Mate, back away until we sort this out. Best be answering him, quickly.


28/28 hp

Lamsfel, in the back, is more concerned with the surroundings than the man and is listening as they speak, but watching the trees.

Mechanics:

Sense Motive 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Initiative 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Something in the man's voice, however, is off, and the elf tenses and reaches for his blades.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Sense Motive1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

Perception 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Gan gives a good, hard look at the man and, though he thinks something might be off, he can't quite place his finger on it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"Parrick"'s initiative: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

The hunter, only a couple steps away from Tybus when Callomeleth shouts, suddenly grimaces and tightens his grip on his spear. For an instant, his expression is a rictus of pain, but the expression seems to flow, melt, and collapse in on itself, his tanned skin darkening and turning a rubbery, leather-like black, like cooling tar. In a second, the man's face is completely gone, replaced - along with every inch of visible skin - with the same disgusting-looking black hide. No facial features break the undulating surface of the thing's head, but it seems to have no trouble discerning where Tybus is as it lunges at him with its spear.

Knowledge (dungeoneering), DC 14:
This is a "faceless stalker," a shapeshifting assassin occasionally found in swamps and marshy areas all along the Avistani coast.

"Parrick"'s spear attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28, damage 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 plus 2d6 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6 sneak attack.

Tristan, Lasmfel and Callomeleth can take actions now - this is a surprise round, though, so a single move or standard action only. Tybus, Gan: you can roll your initiatives, but you'll not be acting until next round. The creature is within a 5 ft step of Tybus, Tristan and Tomodachi (and in melee, for the purposes of ranged penalties, obviously), and all the rest of you can reach it in a single move action. The path is wide enough to accomodate movement without serious impairment, but your tight grouping on the path means there aren't really any clear charge lanes on this side of the thing.


28/28 hp

Lamsfel will use his single move action to move into melee range with the thing, drawing both blades as he moves. I doubt he can get to a reasonable flanking position this quickly, but he will try to position himself so someone else has one next round.


If Lamsfel circles left, he can give Tristan a flank next round; conversely, if he goes right, he can give Tybus one.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Init1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Wow, I think that is my first ever "0" initiative roll in my life, hehe.


28/28 hp

No offense, Tristan, but Lamsfel and Tybus fought pirates together. He feels like he knows the magus' style better.

Lamsfel circles right.


Current HP: 16/21 Channels Remaining: 3

"De réir na déithe! Cad é an ollphéist?" Callomeleth cries. By the time he reacts, Lamsfel has already circled around to engage the creature. "Distract it!" he shouts, this time in the common tongue. "I will see what it has done to the child!" He breaks right as well, keeping the bladesinger between himself and the beast.

Elvish:

By the gods! What is this monster?

Mechanics:

Move around the creature as I describe in the flavor text. My eventual goal is the body that's floating face down in the water.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Slight problem with that; Tybus is at 0, staggered, and not able to help with a flank, even assuming he survives the next round. So Lamsfel, you might want to flank with the one who can help ye.

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Actually, if Tybus can collapse, he will.


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Since the creature is too close to shoot at, Tristan drops his bow and draws his sword. If a 5' step in either direction will help to flank he will do so.


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Knowledge: Dungeoneering 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Sorry, looks like Tybus will be no help this fight.


28/28 hp

Our cleric might reconsider his actions if he realizes Tybus is at death's door. Lamsfel would indeed move to get the flank with Tristan if he realizes that Tybus' wound is mortal.


Current HP: 16/21 Channels Remaining: 3

He would, in fact!

...or, at least, that's what Callomeleth would have done, had the monstrosity not skewered Tybus. Instead, he grabbed his holy symbol and lifted his voice to the heavens. His symbol glowed, and the peace of the Eternal Rose filled the Heroes' hearts, closing Tybus' wounds.

New Mechanics:

Since this is a surprise round, I can't really do much else than channel, since I'm probably not right next to Tybus. So, everyone gets back 1d6 ⇒ 6 hit points.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

At least it was a max channel... Also, Lamsfel's done all the work on moving for a flank, so Tristan needn't bother with the 5 ft step.

Seeing itself start to get surrounded, the thing that called itself Parrick Martheson tilts its head up as though looking at Gan, although how it does so without eyes is not clear. Suddenly, its arms lengthen to what seems an impossible length, and it stabs up at him with its spear despite the distance between them.

Sneak attacks for everyone! Also, apparently this thing has a 10 ft reach. On the other hand, Tomodachi is effectively giving Gan cover against the attack, so he does have a +4 bonus to AC against the spear despite being flat-footed.

Spear attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23, damage 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 plus 2d6 ⇒ (1, 5) = 6 sneak attack.

As soon as the strike is finished, the thing drops the spear and takes a step to one side, trying to keep from being surrounded. 5 ft move away from you and to the right, directly in front of Tristan - that means the flank is broken, although a single move from Lamsfel or coordinated 5 ft steps from both Tristan and Lamsfel together can restore it.


Oh, I guess I should say: you guys can all go now.


Male Varisian (human) Ranger 3

Tristan adjusts his position to take advantage of Lamsfel's attack, then swings his blade with all the force he can muster.

Mechanics:

Spoiler:
5 foot step, then readied action to strike when Lamsfel is in position. Greatsword w/ flank and Power attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18, damage2d6 + 9 ⇒ (3, 5) + 9 = 17


Male Human Bladebound Magus 3

Since he's in the positives, Tybus will stay on his feet and draw his cutlass, infusing it with his arcane energy, and strike.

mechanics:
]Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Crit confirm: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Crit damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


28/28 hp

Noting Tristan's shift, Lamsfel steps to take advantage and strikes with both blades.

Mechanics:
Attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 Includes flanking bonus
Damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 Includes flanking bonus
Damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Note: there is an error on my character sheet; thanks to Dashing Defense, my AC should be 1 point higher where the Dex modifier applies


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

I assume Tomodachi doesn't have a military saddle, so...

1 = fall, 2 = stay in saddle 1d2 ⇒ 2

Gan slumps over in the saddle, clutching to the saddle as he lies unconscious and dying.

My turn was easy, hehe.


Current HP: 16/21 Channels Remaining: 3

Round 1

"What is this fiend?!?", Callomeleth cries as the beast mortally wounds another Hero. He rushes towards Gan, already mouthing the words to a quick melody. His holy symbol resonated with the harmony, and the wound stopped bleeding, knitting flesh back together.

Mechanics:

Move next to Gan. Spontaneous cast Cure Light Wounds, sacrificing Entropic Shield. Gan heals 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 hit points.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Sweet! I think that means I'll actually get a turn this round, right? Since your init was above mine and you healed me up to conscious.


You can take your turn still, yes.


Male Human Summoner (Synthesist) 1/ Paladin 2

Cool--question: can I take a 5ft step while mounted? I want to get outside his reach without provoking an AoO

51 to 100 of 1,902 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Shisumo's Jade Regent All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.