DM Puppet Master's Humble Bundle Welcome Campaign

Game Master Anon A Mouse

Now done with Crypt of the Everflame, our brave adventurers continue on to discover where the stolen amulets have gone in Masks of the Living God.


1,601 to 1,650 of 2,790 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>

Female Elf Wizard (Hallowed Necromancer) 6 | HP 27/27 (4 nl) | AC 14 T 14 FF 11 | Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +13; low-light vision | Positive Touch 6/8 | Turn Undead 7/8 | Fatigued

Lily re-equips herself, then picks up one of the torches and looks for a means to ignite it. Then, after a moment's thought, she casts mage armor for protection.


Male Human Rogue 6 | HP 35/56 | AC 20 FF 20 T 16 | BAB +4 | CMB +5 | CMD 21 | F +4 R +10 W +4 | Init +11 | Per +11

"Mmmm, nice catch, Finnrick. Let me see if I can do something about it." Jaed carefully approaches the pressure plate and tries to disable its mechanism.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 8 + 1 = 17
Disable device: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

The torches are already lit. They're what has been lighting the hallway you're currently in.

Jaed carefully moves forward, glancing back at Finnrick for confirmation as to where the pressure plate he saw was. It takes him a moment to find it, but once it's pointed out he can see the faint outline on the middle step. Reaching down he uses one lever-like tool to gently pry the plate upwards while using a small hook to reach around underneath to try to sever the appropriate connection. After a few tense moment fishing around he feels a bit of resistance and tugs. There's no obvious response. It seems he has successfully disarmed the plate.


Female Elf Wizard (Hallowed Necromancer) 6 | HP 27/27 (4 nl) | AC 14 T 14 FF 11 | Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +13; low-light vision | Positive Touch 6/8 | Turn Undead 7/8 | Fatigued

Lily lets out a breath that she didn't realize she was holding.


Spells:
1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 3rd 2/3
prepared spells:
1st-Flare Burst, Magic Fang , Ray of Sickening 2nd-Cats Grace, 3rd-Call Lightning, Sheet lightning
Half-Elf Druid 5 HP: 27/37 M: 5/39 AC:15 TAC: 14 FF:11 Saves: 5:6:10 Init: +8 Per: +19 (scent)

Finnrick turns to Etam and whispers, "I forgot to thank you earlier for saving Millsy. She could have perished but you saved her... Again. You are a true hero." his voice is filled with gratitude and you can see his eyes begin to glisten, but as quickly as his emotional declaration had began so to did it vanish. "Let us see what is down there eh," He says a bit louder but still just above a whisper. His face changes into that of a mischievous child venturing somewhere his mother told him he didn't belong.

Now that the trap is out of the way Finnrick begins down the stairs being careful to make as little noise as possible.

Stealth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6-3 if he can't wear the studded leather

Perception: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (16) + 16 = 32


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

Finnrick creeps down the staircase, doing his best to remain silent. The descent is quite steep, and he's thankful for the more flexible armor. After reaching the bottom, the passageway continues to curve as the ground turns from worked stone to loose gravel and dirt. After a few feet, the tunnel opens up into a tall, two-tiered chamber. A walkway about 30 feet up traverses the upper level from east to west, leading out of the room. On the lower level at opposite ends of the room stand a pair of gigantic stone statues, roughly carved in the image of, you guessed it, Razmir. Each one stands on a pedestal with a large hold in its base that slopes down and out of sight while the figure's hands are raised high to support the room's ceilings.

Holding up his glowing blade, Finnrick steps forward to better illuminate the dark room only to be met with a loud crack as he steps on something. Moving his foot aside, he sees the crushed remnants of a skull. Eyes now focused on the floor, he sees more white bones scattered amongst the gravel and dirt. Before he has time to contemplate this further, there's the sound of slithering as a giant snake glides out of one of the holes by the base of one statue and begins heading towards him.

Init:
Artair: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Etam: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Finnrick: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Lily: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Jaed: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20
Sato: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Snake: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Init
Everybody except Artair
Snake
Artair

Kn(Nature) DC 14:
There are many types of snakes in the world, most either of the venomous or constrictor variety. This appears to be one of the former. By the hood it sports, it appears to be a variety of cobra, a species known for using its venom to wear away at a creature's vitality. AKA it does Con damage

Etam, Finnrick, Lily, and Jaed are up


Spells:
1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 3rd 2/3
prepared spells:
1st-Flare Burst, Magic Fang , Ray of Sickening 2nd-Cats Grace, 3rd-Call Lightning, Sheet lightning
Half-Elf Druid 5 HP: 27/37 M: 5/39 AC:15 TAC: 14 FF:11 Saves: 5:6:10 Init: +8 Per: +19 (scent)

Finnrick's eyes widen as he reaches the bottom of the steps. "What was I thinking walking down here first?" he silently scolds himself as he comes face to face with a snake.

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

"stay back" he hisses up the stairwell to his companions. "There is a bit of a snake situation down here but I will attempt to take care of it."

Finnrick locks eyes with the snake and slowly moves his sword to his right and lowers it to the ground, never breaking eye contact.

Wild empathy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Rogue 6 | HP 35/56 | AC 20 FF 20 T 16 | BAB +4 | CMB +5 | CMD 21 | F +4 R +10 W +4 | Init +11 | Per +11

Not completely convinced of Finnrick's ability to hypnotize the snake Jaed slowly draws his swords and prepares to step up and cut the snake head if it attacks Finnrick.

Short sword: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


HP 32/32 AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13

I wish there was a better mechanic for using wild empathy

-Posted with Wayfinder


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

Finnrick:
You can tell that the snake is incredibly hungry, bordering on the beginnings of starvation. It's unlikely to back down without a very large meat offering.


Spells:
1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 3rd 2/3
prepared spells:
1st-Flare Burst, Magic Fang , Ray of Sickening 2nd-Cats Grace, 3rd-Call Lightning, Sheet lightning
Half-Elf Druid 5 HP: 27/37 M: 5/39 AC:15 TAC: 14 FF:11 Saves: 5:6:10 Init: +8 Per: +19 (scent)

"yeah, never mind. I don't have this" Finnrick calls back to his companions as he fires a burst of light into the room.

Burst of Radiance DC 17 reflex save or blinded 1d4 ⇒ 1 rounds. If pass dazzled for those rounds. If he's evil he takes damage though I doubt he is.

He uses the distraction to dart into the room

-Posted with Wayfinder


Female Elf Wizard (Hallowed Necromancer) 6 | HP 27/27 (4 nl) | AC 14 T 14 FF 11 | Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +13; low-light vision | Positive Touch 6/8 | Turn Undead 7/8 | Fatigued

Lily hangs back and switches to using her newly-reacquired longbow.

Longbow attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 (-4 if I'm firing into melee, -4 more if I have to fire past someone)
Longbow confirm crit: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Longbow damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1
Longbow crit, if confirmed: 2d8 ⇒ (5, 2) = 7


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

DM:
Snake: 17 dmg

Just a heads up, we're still using the same map linked in my header and probably will be for the rest of the game. For this round I moved you to the best of my understanding of your actions.

Snake Reflex: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Jaed sneak attack: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6 Jaed, just so you're aware, if you attack before an enemy has acted in combat, the enemy is flat-footed, so you get sneak attack damage

Jaed holds back long enough for Lily to get a clean, unhindered shot off at the large creature. The arrow heads straight for the creature's heart, but the writhing coils of muscle shift at the last moment to turn the shot into a glancing blow. As the serpent turns in Lily's direction, Finnrick shoots a burst of light at the creature, who, assuming it to be an attack of some sort, instinctual ducks its head to shield itself from much of the light. Jaed then darts in, taking advantage of its distraction to make a long gash all along the snake's side. It hisses angrily as Etam and Sato rush into the room.

Etam and Sato both double move to get in the room.

No longer as concerned with the archer, the snake rears up and lashes out at the rogue even as its blood

Bite vs Jaed AC 19, dazzled: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 7 - 1 = 25
Damage: 1d6 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Jaed also has to make a DC 17 Fort save or take 1d2 ⇒ 2 Con damage from the venom

Summary
Jaed: 11 dmg, DC 17 Fort save or addition 2 Con damage
Snake: 17 dmg from Lily and Jaed, dazzled by Finnrick until beginning of its next turn

Everybody is up. Snake is also looking fairly rough.


Female Elf Wizard (Hallowed Necromancer) 6 | HP 27/27 (4 nl) | AC 14 T 14 FF 11 | Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +13; low-light vision | Positive Touch 6/8 | Turn Undead 7/8 | Fatigued

Thanks for updating positions!

Lily says, "Pardon me a moment Finnick," then steps in to take an unobstructed shot again. 5' step to get a clean line in.

Longbow attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13 (includes -4 for firing into melee)

No luck!


Male Human Rogue 6 | HP 35/56 | AC 20 FF 20 T 16 | BAB +4 | CMB +5 | CMD 21 | F +4 R +10 W +4 | Init +11 | Per +11

I didn't know how the snake enchantment was going to end so I was not sure I would get to move and attack before the sneak. But thanks for the reminder! By the way, I have updated Jaed's AC with the new armor.

Fort save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

Jaed let out a growl as the snake's fangs go through his his muscles. Encouraged by the pain he raises his swords and aims at the snakes head.

Right sword: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Left sword: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

There's a brief pulse of poison, but Jaed manages to ward it off. It does distract him long enough that snake's coils manage to move out of the path of his blows. Lily, careful not to hit her allies, overcompensates and her shot goes wide.

Artair, Etam, and Finnrick all still have actions. If they don't post by tomorrow evening, they're getting botted.


Spells:
1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 3rd 2/3
prepared spells:
1st-Flare Burst, Magic Fang , Ray of Sickening 2nd-Cats Grace, 3rd-Call Lightning, Sheet lightning
Half-Elf Druid 5 HP: 27/37 M: 5/39 AC:15 TAC: 14 FF:11 Saves: 5:6:10 Init: +8 Per: +19 (scent)

Finnrick moved forward past Lily "Pardon me my lady, he exclaimed curtly as he stepped past the woman drawing his newly acquired sword. He deftly swung it in a grand stroke attempting to distract the beast rather than actually harm it.

Aid Jaed: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

I think that is right and that Jaed should get a +2 next round on attacks


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

Etam Power Attack: 1d20 + 10 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 10 - 1 = 10

Etam steps forward and thrusts and the giant snake. However, unused to the gravelly terrain, he looses his footing and goes wide. At the same time Artair rushes in to the room and begins yelling at the group. "Somebody MOVE so I can attack the blasted thing!" He seems to be working himself up in his frustration to push himself in a proper rage.

Meanwhile Sato is still in the back of the room, cursing to himself. "I'm really not equipped to deal with this sort of thing..." Using the only thing that seems likely to have any affect, he makes a quick gesture and a blue dot zaps out of his finger and attempts to hit the snake.

Ranged touch: 1d20 + 4 - 8 ⇒ (17) + 4 - 8 = 13
Ice damage: 1d3 ⇒ 1

The cobra barely notices the tiny bit of ice thrown at him, far more concerned with all the tasty treats in front of him.

1 Jaed, 2 Finnrick, 3 Etam: 1d3 ⇒ 3
Bite vs AC 21: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Etam Fort Save DC 17: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Con damage: 1d2 ⇒ 2

The snake takes the opening as Etam loses his footing, its fangs digging deep into the warrior's shoulder. He gives a grunt of pain and staggers backwards slightly, lightheaded with the venom now pulsing through his veins.

Summary
Jaed: +2 on next attack role from Finnrick's aid
Etam: Currently at 18 HP including the 2 Con damage
Snake: 1 dmg from Sato

Everybody is up


Male Human Rogue 6 | HP 35/56 | AC 20 FF 20 T 16 | BAB +4 | CMB +5 | CMD 21 | F +4 R +10 W +4 | Init +11 | Per +11

Jaed takes a step to the side before unleashing his swords again.

Right sword: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 7 + 2 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Left sword: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22 Not sure if the +2 also applies to this roll
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Female Elf Wizard (Hallowed Necromancer) 6 | HP 27/27 (4 nl) | AC 14 T 14 FF 11 | Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +13; low-light vision | Positive Touch 6/8 | Turn Undead 7/8 | Fatigued

Lily fires her bow again, hoping for a lucky shot.

Longbow attack: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (19) - 3 = 16 (includes -4 for firing into melee, -4 for firing past cover)
Longbow damage: 1d8 ⇒ 6


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

Aid another is a +2 just for one attack, but the second attack hits anyway.

Taking advantage of the snake's distraction with Etam, Jaed slices once across the creature's neck. This is rapidly followed by a second strike to the same location, making the gash deeper. Dark blood flows rapidly, sinking in the ground from the wound. Hissing in rage, the snake turns upon the rogue, the momentum of the movement and the deep gash combining to rip the wound open even further as the reptilian struggles to control its head. Each action it takes seems to cause more of its life blood to pump out until it's barely able to move.

Finally, it collapses twitching upon the ground just as Artair is about to strike it. The dwarf manages to halt his blow and instead sullenly kicks at the now limp body. "Couldn't of let me take a swing at 'em could ya?"

Combat over

Etam fort save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Now that their immediate danger is over, Etam is able to take a few deep breaths, slowing his heart and and lessening the spread of the poison through his veins enough for his immune system to do the rest and render the venom inert.

Only other exit in this room is a walkway which is 10 feet up.


Male Human Rogue 6 | HP 35/56 | AC 20 FF 20 T 16 | BAB +4 | CMB +5 | CMD 21 | F +4 R +10 W +4 | Init +11 | Per +11

"Don't worry Artair, next time we find some narrow stairs you can be the fist one," the rogue says as he cleans his swords before sheathing them again.

Then he inspects the room, wondering why would the cultist keep such a beast down there and trying to decide if they would be able to climb up to the walkway.

In the first description of the room it says the walkway is 30 ft up. Is it 30 or 10 ft?

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


Male Dwarf Barbarian 3 | HP 41/41(+6R) | AC19(-2RAGE) T11 FF19 | BAB+3 | CMB +7 | CMD 18 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +3 | Per +8

I look forward to that...

Wondering what is the purpose of this room, seems that these people were up to some strange stuff.


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

DM:
1d5 ⇒ 4

Oops, sorry. It's 30 feet up. That's what I get for writing stuff without referencing the original material.

There are quite a number of bones littered across the floor, all clean with no hints of lingering flesh on them. Many of them are broken or crushed, mixed in with the gravel and dirt that lines the floor. Jaed sifts through one pile of bones near the hole opposite the one the snake came up through and finds a ripped belt. There may have once been more on it, but all that currently remains is a single pouch with 18 gold, 2 platinum, and a single pearl worth about 100 gold.


Spells:
1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 3rd 2/3
prepared spells:
1st-Flare Burst, Magic Fang , Ray of Sickening 2nd-Cats Grace, 3rd-Call Lightning, Sheet lightning
Half-Elf Druid 5 HP: 27/37 M: 5/39 AC:15 TAC: 14 FF:11 Saves: 5:6:10 Init: +8 Per: +19 (scent)

well do you want to try and get up there? I think I should have a grappling hook and a rope somewhere we could try to use.

I had 50 ft of silk rope and a grappling hook on my person when we were taken. I don't know if it was with the rest of my gear but if it was Finnrick will take it out and tie knots in the rope.


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

Yup, you found all of your equipment.

It takes a few tries as there doesn't seem much for the grappling hook to find purchase on by the walkway, but eventually it does seem to catch on sometime. It takes a bit more effort, but everybody is eventually able to make their way up, even Millsy with the help of a simple rope harness. On the West side of the walkway you see a set of stairs that lead up to a stone door. To the East you see a simple wooden door.


Male Human Rogue 6 | HP 35/56 | AC 20 FF 20 T 16 | BAB +4 | CMB +5 | CMD 21 | F +4 R +10 W +4 | Init +11 | Per +11

"I don't think you'll need this anymore," says Jaed while he loots the snake's belongings.

Once up in the walkway the rogue inspects the wooden door.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11+1 for traps


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

The door does not appear trapped or locked. There's also no sound of movement from the other side.

If you open the door:
The stale scent of perfume and incense wafts from this room as the door opens, revealing an opulent chamber with pillows, carpets, and other fineries covering the floor. Silk curtains hang over the walls, and flicking light emanates from a hidden source on the ceiling, which is also draped in curtains. On the north side of the room, a gilded throne, bedecked with tiny gemstones, sits upon a raised dais.

Feel free to delete the light green square-ish shape next to the party on the map.


Male Human Rogue 6 | HP 35/56 | AC 20 FF 20 T 16 | BAB +4 | CMB +5 | CMD 21 | F +4 R +10 W +4 | Init +11 | Per +11

"Wow," comes out from Jaed's mouth when the throne room opens in front of him.

Immediately blinded by the gemstones in the throne, Jaed advances straight towards it.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28+1 for traps


Spells:
1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 3rd 2/3
prepared spells:
1st-Flare Burst, Magic Fang , Ray of Sickening 2nd-Cats Grace, 3rd-Call Lightning, Sheet lightning
Half-Elf Druid 5 HP: 27/37 M: 5/39 AC:15 TAC: 14 FF:11 Saves: 5:6:10 Init: +8 Per: +19 (scent)

Finnrick peers in behind Jaed, but whats until he know the coast is clear before advancing.


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

Lightfooted Jaed steps carefully past half empty bottles of various alcohols scattered about the room, past the ornate water pipe in the middle of the room, and straight to the glittering throne. He spends some time examining the base for pressure plates and the back for hidden switches. Remembering the golden mask from before, he also moves to listen closely for any telltale signs of magic. Eventually, he steps back, convinced there are no traps on this beautiful resting place.


HP 32/32 AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13

As Finnrick follows Jaed he casts detect magic and scans the room for it's presence.

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Rogue 6 | HP 35/56 | AC 20 FF 20 T 16 | BAB +4 | CMB +5 | CMD 21 | F +4 R +10 W +4 | Init +11 | Per +11

With the help of the tip of his sword Jaed tries to remove as many gemstones as he can from the throne.

"Anything else you want to check in this room or should we go back to the stone door?"


Female Elf Wizard (Hallowed Necromancer) 6 | HP 27/27 (4 nl) | AC 14 T 14 FF 11 | Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +13; low-light vision | Positive Touch 6/8 | Turn Undead 7/8 | Fatigued

"What's this water pipe about? ...a hookah or something?" says Lily as she glances about the room.


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

Finnrick looks about the room with Detect Magic. Detecting something, he pauses to focus, hoping that it's not just the gear of his companions. After almost 20 seconds, he discerns its location. Pushing back the very fine, but also quite heavy, silk curtains on the South side of the room, he finds a door, which seems to be the source of the faint aura.

Kn(Arcana) DC 19:
The aura in conjuration magic.

Meanwhile as Finnrick is doing...whatever the hell it is that magic users do, Jaed sets to work carefully prying gems off the throne. In total, he manages to get all 20 agates worth 10 gp each, 5 carnelians worth 60 gp each, and a single, small topaz worth 500 gp.

On closer inspection, Lily determines that the water pipe in the center of room is indeed a hookah, filled with a rich, local tobacco. This combined with the half-empty bottles of booze littered around and the fine decor seem to indicate that this was used as some kind of lounge or entertainment area by at least some of the cultists.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 3 | HP 41/41(+6R) | AC19(-2RAGE) T11 FF19 | BAB+3 | CMB +7 | CMD 18 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +3 | Per +8

Yup, they have been up to some weird stuff...


Spells:
1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 3rd 2/3
prepared spells:
1st-Flare Burst, Magic Fang , Ray of Sickening 2nd-Cats Grace, 3rd-Call Lightning, Sheet lightning
Half-Elf Druid 5 HP: 27/37 M: 5/39 AC:15 TAC: 14 FF:11 Saves: 5:6:10 Init: +8 Per: +19 (scent)

"aha, it looks like there is a secret door back here behind the curtain" he says delighted with his discovery. "and its magical, probably warded, though I can't say I have the faintest idea what the magic is. Lilly, perhaps you may be able discern it's origins."

If anyone is trying to interact with the door Finnrick will gently brush them and cast guidance giving them a +1

-Posted with Wayfinder


HP 32/32 AC 18 TAC 15 FF 13

Millsy slinks around the room before hopping up onto the throne.

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Rogue 6 | HP 35/56 | AC 20 FF 20 T 16 | BAB +4 | CMB +5 | CMD 21 | F +4 R +10 W +4 | Init +11 | Per +11

Cheered up by the newly acquired gems Jaed walks towards the door. "If it has a lock I can open it," he says as he inspects the magical door for traps before attempting to open it.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 8 + 1 = 19+1 for traps
Disable device: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

With the help of Finnrick to point out where exactly he should be looking Jaed manages to find a small trigger hidden just above where the door latches into the frame around it and manages disconnect the mechanism. With some more fiddling, he manages to get the door open. On the other side is a small chamber containing two small chests on opposite walls and a large chest between them, sitting next to a table. Atop the wooden table lie three bags and a large ledger. All three chests appear to be locked.


Female Elf Wizard (Hallowed Necromancer) 6 | HP 27/27 (4 nl) | AC 14 T 14 FF 11 | Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +13; low-light vision | Positive Touch 6/8 | Turn Undead 7/8 | Fatigued

"I'm gonna guess... more traps in the room?" Lily says, and looks back to Finnick and Jaed.


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

DM:
2d20 ⇒ (1, 8) = 9

In the temple (AKA for Finnrick, Jaed, and Lily):
"Traps, traps, traps. Can't people just come out and fight like real dwarves?" Artair grumbled.

"I'm not sure we'd fair very well if the entire cult just decided to pop out and fight us Master Arta-" Etam's words are cut of by a bout of wracking coughs that goes on for several seconds.

"I hate to say it, but you don't look so good..."

Sato's words did indeed seem to be correct. There was sweat on Etam's brow and he was pale. "Not feeling too hot after that snake, I'm afraid. I guess that poison took a little more out of me than I thought." He straightens, composing himself. "I'm afraid it might be time to call for some reinforcements. I don't think I'm going to be able to help much in the upcoming fights, so I'll go. Since we killed their guards, I should be able to sneak over the wall to get help. I'll try to be quick about it."

Sato scoffs. "In your state? You're more likely to fall flat on your face and die." With an exaggerated sigh he continues, "I suppose I better go with you in case our backup needs some 'convincing.' And we'll need someone to help lug you over the wall..." He gives Artair a meaningful look. Several long, awkward moments pass as Artair fails to see his cue. Eventually Sato gives up and goes for the direct route. "Artair, we need you to help carry Sato."

Artair gives the man a startled look. "Me? Why me? We're jus' about ta get to the good part after days of this rot!"

Maintaining his best smile, Sato sweetly responds. "Because you're the only one of us who strong and capable enough to do so. Besides, our reinforcements will need your courage and bravery to lead the charge." He was laying it on a bit thick, but the dwarf didn't seem to notice as he puffed out his chest with pride.

"Well, when ya put it that way..." Slinging his arm around Etam's waist, Artair makes a big show of helping the man out.

With a sigh, Sato follows. "We shouldn't be too long. Try not to die before we return."

If you want to add in other role play here, feel free to do so.

-----

About an hour and a half later, you start to hear footsteps walking down the hallway towards the room with all the curtains and the hookah....

In the Pathfinder lodge (AKA spoiler for the new guys):
For one reason or another, you both find yourselves in the Tamran Pathfinder's lodge in the late hours of the night. Or perhaps it's the wee hours of the morning? Either way, it's sometime between 1am and 2am. The muffled sounds of arguing can be heard behind one of the venture lieutenant's doors. Not long ago a group of three had entered the building, looking rather the worse for wear. The most injured of the three, a human man in well made armor, had immediately headed towards the medical wing, leaning heavily on his burly dwarven companion. The third and least battered member, a young man possibly of Tian Xia descent, had immediately walked into the lieutenant's office. What had seemed to start off as am amiable enough conversation had quickly escalated, and the door had been shut in an attempt to avoid disturbing any of the handful of people who were actually awake.

Eventually the door opened and the very tired lieutenant looked out to see who else had the misfortune to still be awake. "Marzela and...uhhh," He paused, trying to think. "Hell, whatever your name was." He waved you both over. "There's a matter I could use your assistance with."

The other man peered over his shoulder. "Two people? I ask you to mobilize everyone in the lodge and you give me two?"

The Lieutenant Riker waved his hand for silence. "As I've explained Sato, I can't just mobilize everyone on a whim, especially without evidence." He made a gesture to cute Sato off as he moved to object before turning back to the two of you again. "Earlier this week it seems Reginar Lacklan sent a group of six in to the Razmirian's temple* to gather intel on them. I don't have time to give you details since apparently this is all of the 'utmost urgency' " He pauses to shoot Sato a slightly annoyed look. "But it seems they got themselves in to a bit of trouble. It shouldn't be too much work-- you would just need to get in, find some hard evidence and then get back out before everybody wakes up, figures out they've been infiltrated, and kills you all. If Pathfinder Sato is to be believed, at least meeting up with the group already in there shouldn't be too hard as the path, as well as the wall guards, have already been cleared. Sato can tell you how to find them."

*About two years ago a group os Razmirians came to Tamran looking to set up a local temple and preach about the Living God. Since then they've constructed a grand temple in the financial district. Their numbers of swelled, though to what extent is impossible to tell as they all wear robes (mostly white with a handful of gray and a few black) and a mask to hide their face, making it nearly impossible to tell them apart. They preach charity and self-worth, going out daily to feed the poor and spread the word of the Living God, but there have been rumors of bribery, extortion, and possibly even kidnappings.

There's a pause as Riker and Sato glare at each other until Sato finally relinquishes just enough to sketch out the route you must take to meet up with the others still inside. "Once you climb over the wall, enter through the main door. Take the first left into the armory and then go down a set of stairs. When you get to the intersections, take another left through another door, but make sure to close it behind you because it's supposed to be locked. Make another left and go down some stairs, but skip the 10th step as it's trapped. At the bottom, you'll find a dead snake. Climb up on the back wall and go into the fancy room with all the curtains. You should see one pushed back to reveal a small storeroom. That's where Finnrick, Jaed, and Lily are waiting. For the love of the gods, make haste; we still have much of the second floor to check before dawn arrives."

If you have an IC response, now would be the time to interject.

That done, Sato quickly turns back to continue his argument with Riker. Before the door closes once again, Sato calls out to you. "Tell them I will talk this hard head into sending more reinforcements."

-----

Following Sato's instructions prove to be pretty straightforward and you soon find yourselves walking towards what should be the 'fancy room with all the curtains'. How do you want to approach?


Female Aasimar Cleric 6 Domains: Healing: Resurrection and Sun: Revelation | HP 36/36 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Fort +6 / Ref +3 / Will +8 | CMB 7 / CMD 18 | Initiative +1 | Perception +14 /+16 vs surprise/invisible/+18 vs disguise/hidden | Darkvision 60 feet | 3d6 Channel 6/6 | Active Effects: None

Happy to help. What kind of evidence are you expecting though? Written records of bribery and extortion, assuming they have them? Should we bring someone back who can testify about having been kidnapped?

-----

Approaching the curtained room, Marzela specifically keeps an eye out for hidden danger. If there is a door behind one curtain, the room could be hiding more than that. She also will be on the lookout for any records at all during this jaunt, since she was asked to find "hard evidence" of something untoward going on here.

In case it is needed:
Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26

also an additional +2 vs being surprised/noticing invisible or incorporeal creatures, and an additional +4 vs disguises or to find something that is hidden or concealed

If she sees nothing beforehand, she will advance into the room and introduce herself to the party, remaining alert.

Good evening. Lieutenant Riker sent us to assist, but didn't give us much information. Have you gathered evidence of the temple's evil dealings?

Whatever the answer to that question, she will then ask
Also, does anyone need healing before we proceed?


Female Elf Wizard (Hallowed Necromancer) 6 | HP 27/27 (4 nl) | AC 14 T 14 FF 11 | Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +13; low-light vision | Positive Touch 6/8 | Turn Undead 7/8 | Fatigued

"Ah, hello! Things are a little um, confused at the moment," says Lily, a bit surprised at Marzela's appearance. "We know that the temple has been engaging in extortion rackets, because they sent us as 'new recruits' to do some of that kind of work. We haven't yet found hard evidence in the form of any documents or items, though," she adds sadly.

"I am definitely feeling a bit peaked and could probably use some help."

The elf woman seems a bit shy and skittish.


Male Tiefling GeoKinetic Knight 6 | HP 63/63 (18NL) | AC 22 T 11 FF 21 | DR 6/adamantine | Resistance Cold(5) Fire(5) Electricity(5) | Fort +10 Ref +8 Will +6 | Initiative +4 | Perception +11; darkvision (60ft)

Carrakas frowns in irritation as the venture captain stumbles over his name. Of course he remembers the pretty one. Should just ignore all this foolishness. After a moment's consideration, the hulking tiefling gathers his gear and goes to listen to the pleas for help. "Very well, I'll go along. Never let it be said that Carrakas turned down a job."

----------

Carrakas will keep himself in front of Marzela as they approach the room. Keeping his shield up and his eyes open, he will enter the room first.

Once the elf woman begins to speak, the tiefling's shoulders relax a little, and he takes up a defensive position closer to the door as they talk out the situation.


Female Aasimar Cleric 6 Domains: Healing: Resurrection and Sun: Revelation | HP 36/36 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Fort +6 / Ref +3 / Will +8 | CMB 7 / CMD 18 | Initiative +1 | Perception +14 /+16 vs surprise/invisible/+18 vs disguise/hidden | Darkvision 60 feet | 3d6 Channel 6/6 | Active Effects: None

Marzela walks over to the elf.

That's Carrakas, and I'm Marzela. Nice to meet you.

She flashes her a smile, trying to put her at ease.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (10) + 16 = 26

Once she looks a little calmer or seems accepting of someone in her personal space, Marzela goes over and lays her hand on her shoulder.

Marzela casts cure moderate wounds.

Cure Moderate: 2d8 + 4 ⇒ (8, 5) + 4 = 17

Are you okay now? You guys must have been through a lot.


Female Elf Wizard (Hallowed Necromancer) 6 | HP 27/27 (4 nl) | AC 14 T 14 FF 11 | Fort +2 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +13; low-light vision | Positive Touch 6/8 | Turn Undead 7/8 | Fatigued

"We've been pretending to be new recruits. Er, I guess we are new recruits, just um... not actually committed to the cause?" she looks sheepish.

As Marzela approaches she briefly flinches but then allows herself to be touched.

"Oh, um, my name is Indileth, but please, just call me Lily."

If you speak Elvish:
"Indi" is Elvish for "lily" (the flower). "-leth" is a suffix that means "this noun is a personal name." Ergo, in the Common tongue her name is Lily, but because of the structure of Elvish, it is obvious that anyone saying "Indileth" is talking about a person, not a flower.

"I feel much better! So... I don't know how much you were told about what we're doing here? We've been infiltrating this outpost of Razmiran to find out what kind of awful things they've been up to, specifically to find proof. Well, they make all the new recruits wear these masks, so you can't tell people apart, but that also means sometimes we can bluff our way into places because in a mask and robe nobody can really tell if you're a new recruit or a veteran, as long as you know the right passwords and such. Anyway, we've had some fighting with a few of the people here, but we don't feel too bad about it because apparently the training for new recruits consists mostly of praying, copying books, and shaking down local businesses for money with extortion. So far though we haven't found any logs or actual hard evidence connecting this... uh... temple?... with activities directly - it's all just based on things they ordered us to do as new recruits."


Female Aasimar Cleric 6 Domains: Healing: Resurrection and Sun: Revelation | HP 36/36 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Fort +6 / Ref +3 / Will +8 | CMB 7 / CMD 18 | Initiative +1 | Perception +14 /+16 vs surprise/invisible/+18 vs disguise/hidden | Darkvision 60 feet | 3d6 Channel 6/6 | Active Effects: None

They didn't tell us much at all. Someone named Sato was there. He came in with two other injured people, and when the Lieutenant sent us, Sato said it was extremely urgent, so the Lieutenant said he didn't have any time to brief us. All we know is how to get here and that we're after evidence of wrongdoing. I assumed bribery, kidnapping, and extortion from the rumors that I have heard about this place, but he didn't actually really say.

As Marzela and Lily talk, she mentions/asks the other things below, but she is being very gracious and listening closely to Lily as well; She's worried about Lily's skittishness, and wants her to feel valued and at ease, not like she is being interrogated... so even though the questions look kind of rapid-fire in one block here, that isn't the way she is asking them in the conversation.

I'm super bad at bluffing, so the best I can do is keep my mouth shut if you want to pretend to be someone else. If that is the plan, do we need masks?

What kinds of books were you copying? Were there other records there? Do you think that would be a good place to start looking, or is there someplace else you are expecting the records to be?


Definitely not a vampire Xin Grafar | Third ring

At the Pathfinder lodge.

Marzela wrote:
Happy to help. What kind of evidence are you expecting though? Written records of bribery and extortion, assuming they have them? Should we bring someone back who can testify about having been kidnapped?

"Written evidence of some sort would be best. Barring that, I suppose witness testimony could help, though that could turn into a he-said-she-said kind of situation."

-----

Marzela:
Most of the journey reveals nothing of interest. You go through an armory, several hallways, and a snake pit, all of which are desserted and show no obvious signs of what you might want. You do however, notice secret door before heading down the stairs to the snake pit. After getting to the room with curtains, you deduce the secret door was the easier, and snake-less- way to get to that room. There's a map in my header. I've marked the secret door with an 'S'.

Going to repeat the description of the curtain room and the small store room next door (second room was only just opened, so no one's really done anything in there yet) for the new folk.

Room with curtains wrote:
The stale scent of perfume and incense wafts from this room as the door opens, revealing an opulent chamber with pillows, carpets, and other fineries covering the floor. Silk curtains hang over the walls, and flicking light emanates from a hidden source on the ceiling, which is also draped in curtains. On the north side of the room, a gilded throne with small holes where gemstones once sat, sits upon a raised dais.
Storage room wrote:
On the other side is a small chamber containing two small chests on opposite walls and a large chest between them, sitting next to a table. Atop the wooden table lie three bags and a large ledger. All three chests appear to be locked.


Female Aasimar Cleric 6 Domains: Healing: Resurrection and Sun: Revelation | HP 36/36 | AC 16 T 12 FF 14 | Fort +6 / Ref +3 / Will +8 | CMB 7 / CMD 18 | Initiative +1 | Perception +14 /+16 vs surprise/invisible/+18 vs disguise/hidden | Darkvision 60 feet | 3d6 Channel 6/6 | Active Effects: None

Marzela, after chatting with Lily, goes over to the other group of people, and sees the second room and the ledger.

Has anyone checked that ledger to see if it has the evidence we need?

She looks around and waits for a response, and if anyone seems inclined to go first she allows it, but if not, she just walks in and opens the ledger to see if this could be the proof they are looking for.

If it gets to that point and a roll is needed:
Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24

(also +2 vs being surprised/noticing invisible or incorporeal creatures, and an additional +4 vs disguises or to find something that is hidden or concealed if any of those bonuses apply)

1,601 to 1,650 of 2,790 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Puppet Master's Humble Bundle Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.